Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 713 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > DICE on BF3 PC/Console Differences
6. Re: DICE on BF3 PC/Console Differences Jul 26, 2011, 12:26 bhcompy

Babelfish translation:
It is not like that we are bad or stupid. We do not have selected no more player to have - we would make loving gladly 64 players on the console, but then we would have to cut so much off. Because otherwise the players would excite themselves that the console version looks many worse and plays themselves more badly. Perhaps besides one would have had to remove the vehicles. The maps will also fail a little more compactly: Do not say if we that they are smaller, meant that we halved it.

/reads like Borat, but Babelfish is de facto translation tool for the old school

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Purity First Trailer
24. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Purity First Trailer Jul 26, 2011, 01:08 bhcompy

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 17:43:
bhcompy wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 17:12:
So are we going to have live FMVs like we did in the Sega CD days? (particular faves are the PSX Soviet/Nuclear Strike games)

Odd to use the Sega CD as the FMV standard on a PC gaming site. The PC was by far the home of FMV.

Recently in Red Alert, maybe, but what else? Mad Dog Mcree and Who Shot Johnny Rock were arcade first and consoles like Sega CD later. FMV was very prominent in the marketing of Sega CD games. Tomcat Alley, Sewer Shark, etc.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Purity First Trailer
5. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Purity First Trailer Jul 25, 2011, 17:12 bhcompy

So are we going to have live FMVs like we did in the Sega CD days? (particular faves are the PSX Soviet/Nuclear Strike games)

Also, anyone notice the quarterback was left handed the first time he threw the ball and right handed in every subsequent scene?

News Comments > BF3 Preorders "Roughly Comparable" to Black Ops
25. Re: BF3 Preorders Jul 24, 2011, 18:57 bhcompy

Bhruic wrote on Jul 24, 2011, 16:49:
Errr, it will be on Impulse. No Steam is a downside, but Impulse is a fine service on its own.

You realize Impulse got bought by Gamestop, right?

And I have no problem with that. They've done nothing to show me anything bad so far. Sure, they got rid of PC games in their stores, but if they get rid of PC games on Impulse what are they going to sell?

News Comments > BF3 Preorders "Roughly Comparable" to Black Ops
8. Re: BF3 Preorders Jul 24, 2011, 15:26 bhcompy

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 24, 2011, 14:57:
Would sell a lot more copies if they allowed Steam....I am still on the fence with this whole Origin thing....

Errr, it will be on Impulse. No Steam is a downside, but Impulse is a fine service on its own. No need to use EA's store

News Comments > Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar
33. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 17:27 bhcompy

Beamer wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 14:00:
Steam does have similar searching and library visibility issues. There's so many games on Steam now it's almost impossible to browse it all coherently.

Not even that - at best a Steam page gives you a trailer, a few screenshots and a blurb. It's very hard, particularly with indie games, to get a valid feel from that alone.

If you're on Steam, you're on a computer with a web browser. I understand it's cool to want more features, but, seriously, how hard is it to search for more information on a particular title

News Comments > More on BF3 and Steam
208. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 19, 2011, 03:08 bhcompy

Dev wrote on Jul 19, 2011, 02:39:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 19, 2011, 02:26:
Dev wrote on Jul 19, 2011, 02:10:
I just saw a loaded dell system go on sale. If anyone doesn't have a computer that will run BF3 and doesn't want to build their own, this is a good deal for a gaming system.

Dell Inspiron 620 Slim Tower Desktop: Intel Core i5-2310 (2.8GHz), 6GB DDR3, 1TB 7200RPM HDD, Radeon HD 6450 1GB Graphics, Wifi-N, Win 7 Prem 64-Bit $500
More info on slickdeals:
Link

That's not much of a deal at all. The 6450 is basically worthless for gaming. It can barely run CoD, letalone BF3.

If you want to run BF3 at a decent resolution and framerate, you'll need at least a 4870.
Next time pick something in current production so I can get a price on it easier Newegg has no hits on a 4870 in graphics cards, and amazon is all third party merchants. ATI stuff has had confusing models for a while, so I haven't been tracking it that closely.

Anyway, graphics hierarchy chart:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2964-7.html
Says 4870 is 7th tier graphics card.
A quick check of a few other 7th tier graphics card shows you can get that kinda performance for under $100 currently without a sale.
In fact, last month a 5770 was on sale for about $75

So under $600 for a retail gaming box with a warranty. Toss the other graphics card in and done. Probably don't even have to change drivers.

Or build your own.
$185 intel quadcore sandy bridge i5-2300 current price
$100 for a decent sandy bridge motherboard that has USB 3 and SATA 6GB, current price

$60 for a 2TB hdd on sale, or 1TB current price.
$50 for 6GB DDR3, current price
$75 for a 5770 or similar 7th tier graphics card on sale.

Thats still $470, under $500 for a loaded setup with better specs than that dell. If you don't have a computer case, you might have to creep a bit over $500.

Or you can do the equivalent AMD.. spend 100 less on the proc, 20 more on the mobo for the same features and have another 4 or 8x pcie card for crossfirex

115. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 17:45 bhcompy

Lotta rage on Origin/EA Store. That's fine, but this is a GameStop rep saying that they'll sell it, which means it will be through Impulse(which they just bought). Origin!=Impulse  

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon
1. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 09:32 bhcompy

Maybe we don't want a big dedicated product. Maybe we just want something moddable, playable, and good enough that's, possibly, not on UE3? Who ever claimed that PC gamers want console style "AAA" titles? Games like STALKER sure as hell don't meet that criteria  

1. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 09:30 bhcompy

So it will be on Impulse? Not a major loss. As long as it's available online or Amazon gives it a significant discount with a boxed preorder, I don't really care. I plan on buying day one, so not having access to it for an Xmas Steam sale or something isn't a big deal.  

News Comments > World of Warplanes Economy Detailed
2. Re: World of Warplanes Economy Detailed Jul 15, 2011, 14:47 bhcompy

About time. Been a while since a good multiplayer dedicated simplified flight sim has hit. Here's to hoping we also get World of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter and World of Mechwarrior  

News Comments > On PlanetSide 2 Microtransactions
14. Re: On PlanetSide 2 Microtransactions Jul 13, 2011, 15:02 bhcompy

Lokust wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 14:16:
John Lovitz wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 12:47:
If only World of Tanks was, oh i don't know, a MMOG. Why the hell do people keep saying it? Thats like waiting in the lobby of starcraft 2 and saying "look i'm playing a MMO".

I know. I play World of Tanks and enjoy it, but Wargaming.net calling it an MMO is ADORABLE. I guess all sorts of other things were MMO's and we never knew it. Battlefield, Quake, Tribes, Subspace, etc...

It's in the same book as Guild Wars. Both operate in a different category than "FPS". Along the lines of DAoC, Warhammer, and WoW battlegrounds without all the rest.

News Comments > On PlanetSide 2 Microtransactions
7. Re: On PlanetSide 2 Microtransactions Jul 13, 2011, 12:25 bhcompy

JoeNapalm wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 11:28:
Prez wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 11:14:
@ OldSchool:

Even in a game that is otherwise free to play? What about a free to play game that also has a free downloadable client, so there's no upfront cost whatsoever? Dev's gotta eat ya know. It may not be what you are used to or your preferred means of gaming, but it's not a bad proposition for the gamer really.

As long as they do it right.

If they DO "sell power" it could potentially be a disaster.

"Step right up! You, sir! You look like a Reaver pilot! For just $4.99, you could take to the skies in this fine Air Superiority vehicle!"

They say they won't do this - but we'll see. SOE has shot themselves in the foot more times than a trailer park.

As it is - in Planetside, you could have Clan Emblems on your avatar and vehicles for free. From what this says, it seems like now you have to pay for that? That's pretty weak.

I'm almost a guaranteed Planetside 2 sale - as long as they don't muck it up. Even STO has free customizable Fleet emblems and uniforms, and it's F2P w/ microtransactions.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

It hasn't been a disaster for World of Tanks. The tanks money can purchase are okay, but don't outclass anything you can earn. Players don't complain about it at all. The only real thing I don't like is that you can buy significantly better AP ammo with money, but it's not a game changer for the average player. Don't know how that works with clan matches though

News Comments > On the Star Wars Galaxies Closure
20. Re: On the Star Wars Galaxies Closure Jul 13, 2011, 09:35 bhcompy

hubricide wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 21:23:
Another thing about SWG too is that when it came out the graphics were quite good. Vast landscapes like that hadn't really been done with that amount of detail and the player models etc were nicely detailed. The few actual pre-built cities that were in the game looked quite good, too.

Anarchy Online looked better earlier. Infact, still haven't seen a game with a dynamic weather system(and cool effects, imho) as good as AO

/seriously

News Comments > Hi-Rez on F2P Tribes Ascend
23. Re: Hi-Rez on F2P Tribes Ascend Jul 10, 2011, 23:30 bhcompy

DDI wrote on Jul 10, 2011, 21:35:
Look at World of Tanks, sure you can earn some stuff through gameplay. But it will take you literally months to earn the same stuff someone can buy in a few minutes.

Err, not quite. WoT has a few tanks you can purchase, but they are not great tanks and they aren't the same tanks you can earn through exp. The only thing that actually affects the regular tanks is that you can use cash to convert unused experience for one tank into "free exp" that can be used on any tank.

What it looks like Tribes Ascend is going to get is very similar to the WoT model. Pay for a premium account and exp/cash/whatever will be earned at an increased rate.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Specs?
43. Re: Battlefield 3 Specs? Jul 8, 2011, 21:57 bhcompy

zirik wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 20:05:
PacoTaco wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 19:51:
EA just fucked themselves on this one, the stock should drop after the forecast is cut by 50%. No XP, FU EA!

i can sympathize with the XP users. why is it that EA can make the game run on the 360 and PS3 which basically have the same visuals as DX9 while PC users are forced to upgrade to vista. at least allow XP users to turn down the visuals to console levels in order to play the game.

Err, maybe you missed the PS3 demo they played on Jimmy Failon. It is a very obvious downgrade in visual quality

News Comments > New Battlefield 3 Details
40. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 21:49 bhcompy

Matshock wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 18:26:
Like mentioned earlier, MGs and suppressive fire is what rules modern infantry battle. Snipers and rifle marksmen work in around the cover created by suppression and then go to work on the flanks.

When has Battlefield ever been about realism?

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Announced
7. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announced Jul 8, 2011, 11:28 bhcompy

Tumbler wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 11:23:
It looks like Halo...why does it look like halo? It's got a fucking purple tank that shoots slow blue projectiles...and there is a dropship in the last scene...

Do the soldiers have regenerating shields?

I have a really bad feeling about this.

Uh, Planetside has had purple tanks, slow blue projetiles, and dropships for 8 years. And actually has gameplay depth. Something that Halo has little of

34. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 10:06 bhcompy

MattyC wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 09:34:
everyone wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 08:12:
Snipers were never a problem - or even used much - in BF2. Why would you assume they will be in BF3?

Did you ever play Bad Company 2?

Aircraft are sniper equalizers. They are fast and they'll make it much easier to spot them. If we get the 2 pilot variety with a guided bomb, it makes it even better to grief the snipers.

33. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 10:02 bhcompy

Are they going to change the non-bipod accuracy of the LMGs? Are they going to add barrel overheating like real LMGs so you can't fire that entire 100-200 round belt in one go? Are they going to remove the scope option? They're already overpowered as is.  

713 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo