Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 788 (Graduate)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Reloaded Games Acquires Hawken
5. Re: Reloaded Games Acquires Hawken Mar 16, 2015, 13:21 bhcompy

Rhialto wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 12:44:
Started playing MWO a long time ago and I like it... so would I like Hawken? I'm just unsure I want to learn a new game and start from scratch grinding again. Also need to know if 3D works fine.

Hawken is not a simulator. It's like Virtua-On meets Armored Core.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Gift Restrictions Tighten
6. Re: Steam Gift Restrictions Tighten Mar 12, 2015, 11:50 bhcompy

InBlack wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 10:32:
dubfanatic wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 10:18:
I don't know why games cost so much more in EU and AUS than in USA (my guess is it's to cover the cost of operating in those regions)

VAT tax, and because they can charge whatever they fucking want for it and get away with it.

And because Australia is isolated they just charge more. Them digital bits cost a lot to ship from EU/USA

News Comments > Another Total War: WARHAMMER Clue?
18. Re: Another Total War: WARHAMMER Clue? Mar 11, 2015, 09:15 bhcompy

verybad1 wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 01:09:
Slashman wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 20:16:
Really wish it was 40k instead.

"Only in death does duty end!"

Quoted for yeah, me too.

Why in the hell AREN'T they doing a WH40K Total War, that's what everyone wants.

Demons striding across the battlefield eating humans, spaceships landing reinforcements...

Because we already have the best 40k RTS we could and we don't have jack for vanilla WH. I believe that we will get a 40k game in time, but the first target will likely be the IP that needs the most love.

News Comments > Unity 5 Released
29. Re: Unity 5 Released Mar 4, 2015, 12:04 bhcompy

Kajetan wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 18:24:
bhcompy wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 17:50:
How is that any different than at any point in Crytek's history? UE has always been one of the top licensed engines simply because of the support provided.
It once was considered a valid competitor to Epic. Several big projects used the CryEngine, last of them Evolve, but Cryteks licensing business never took off.

By whom? No one important, that's for sure.

After UE and Unity, the only valid competitors I'd consider are id Tech, LithTech, and Source(Gamebryo as well, but that's strictly RPG). id Tech is only one Bethesda published properties now, though I'm not sure that is by design. LithTech hasn't had a lot of recent games, but I see a comeback after Shadow of Mordor was successful. Source has been licensed continuously for about a decade for a number of projects, and Source2 was just announced, the latest of which is Titanfall. All of these have good documentation and support, and a history of success.

CryEngine, on the other hand, has a handful of known games, one of which is effectively a fork that's being developed on its own without CryTek, similar to how Source is a fork of Quake/id Tech 2, but mostly a lot of nothing, along with bad support and documentation. Yes, it's a pretty engine, but it had the same amount of chance of being a good commercially licensed engine as the Serious engine was.

News Comments > Unity 5 Released
19. Re: Unity 5 Released Mar 3, 2015, 17:50 bhcompy

Kajetan wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 14:58:
verybad1 wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 13:29:
I really think UE4 is doing that to kill competitors like Unity 5 and Cryengine 3.
CryEngine WAS a competitor. Crytek killed its own licensing business with a severe lack of proper documentation and underwhelming support.

How is that any different than at any point in Crytek's history? UE has always been one of the top licensed engines simply because of the support provided.

News Comments > Mortal Kombat X Specs
9. Re: Mortal Kombat X Specs Feb 5, 2015, 01:30 bhcompy

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 23:21:
Wallshadows wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 17:36:
$100 for the ultra mega digital platinum collector edition. That said, I remember buying MK3 for the Genesis for $79.99 + tax at K-Mart in 1996 which, according to inflation, would be $111.02 before taxes so maybe I'm the sucker for not getting the $100 package.

Holy crap I didnt realize Genesis carts were that expensive! I never paid more than $59.99 for any SNES game that I can recall, never owned a sega console before though, besides a saturn I traded for a digital camera that took 3.5 inch floppies as film (some sony monstrosity..)

Genesis in general wasn't that expensive, but there were a few rare games that demanded a higher price

News Comments > Mortal Kombat X Specs
6. Re: Mortal Kombat X Specs Feb 4, 2015, 20:24 bhcompy

jdreyer wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 20:18:
nin wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 19:41:
Creston wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 18:52:
Conan had Beast Mode and Gronk play this on Clueless Gamer, it looked pretty sharp. Gruesome finishing moves though, and they made Beast Mode almost walk out.

I admit I didn't have a lot of interest in it until I watched their video. Though I still prefer the more 2d/sprite/animated style of the earlier games to the current dark and gritty look.

I wonder if it gives the artists that work on it PTSD. Probably not, but after reading that article a while back about the Facebook content sorters, I wonder.

What?

News Comments > Hearthstone Undertaker Card Nerf
10. Re: Hearthstone Undertaker Card Nerf Jan 28, 2015, 21:11 bhcompy

Grokk wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 18:30:
It seems all I ever hear from Blizzard nowadays is balance.
They spend way too much time trying to balance stuff, that anything else takes forever and a day to arrive.

They'd be better off pushing out more content, that effectively overwrites the unbalanced stuff with newer items/objects.

Just look at the mess that WoW is with gear. The iLevel is so far above the actual player level it's insane. They've reworked everything so many times that there's nothing left to be overpowered. Everything is more or less the same thing.

In the end, the min-maxers will figure out which item/object/character/race whatever is best and everyone will flock to it. Sometime down the track it gets nerfed, everyone complains and the cycle continues.

In EverQuest, outside of a few items that they nerfed/removed from loot tables like Fishbone Earring, Manastone, Jboots, etc, they balanced by power creep, like you're suggesting. It made the game shitty, as every expansion meant your items were shit and you had to grind camps all over again.

For instance, Short Sword of Ykesha was a very good mid-level rare drop in base EQ, but when Velious hit(expansion #2), the common mid-level trash loot dropped in the first zone was better than SSOY.

It's bad practice to balance by power creep. It harms more people than the few who take advantage of a too powerful single item to gain advantage over others.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record
22. Re: PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record Jan 27, 2015, 02:13 bhcompy

Slick wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 23:26:
time-dilation is not real-time. again, by definition it's something like 1/10th time. just because time plays normally for you sitting there on the keyboard, the time in the videogame is playing at 1/10th the speed. this is again, by definition not real-time.

realtime doesn't mean "not turn based" it means that time in the application is going at the same speed as in reality. aka indistinguishable from how time is really happening. by your definition i could slow a game of quake down to 1/1000000th speed (so one frame on screen drawn every 10 hours) and you'd still consider that real-time.

seriously though, i'd say: "we'll just have to agree to disagree" but no, you're wrong. sorry. usually when something is going 1/10th the speed in real life, it's because my eyes are dilated.

Realtime means it's happening right now. Is it happening right now? Yes. Just at a slower pace.

19. Re: PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record Jan 26, 2015, 22:46 bhcompy

Slick wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 18:33:
bhcompy wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 16:42:
Slick wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 16:32:
lol i knew an EvE nerd could correct me on that xD

still, that 21 hour battle was probably 1 hour of fighting thanks to time-dialation. it really does change the metric used to measure "how many live people in a server at the same time". if counterstrike went from 66 tic to 0.00006 tic servers, their servers could probably host tens of thousands of players. i don't know specifics, but time-dialation make the comparison null and void IMO.

it'd be like comparing the maximum stadium occupancy for a show, vs how many attendees were present over a time-lapse of a month. they're different metrics. 1000+ real-time players is a feat.

Time Dilation is still real time. You're not queuing commands and logging off while commands go.

See for yourself

The average big battle in EVE is in the 500-1500 range. Time dilation sometimes occurs in those battles. All time dilation does is smooth out the game, rather than lag for all(which I've had my fair share of experience with in both games).

time-dilation is NOT real-time. in fact i think that's the definition. 1 minute in-game is stretched into 10 minutes of "real time". I never said that you could log off and issue commands, I've had close friends who've been playing eve since the beginning. time-dialation basically slows everything down in the game to a crawl, in the really big battle a practical stand-still SO that everyone does lag out.

hence it's NOT real time! i'm not getting upset with you, i just don't think you can say that when a server slows everything down to a crawl so people don't lag out, that that could in any way be considered "real time". "real time" by it's definition is:

: the actual time during which something takes place <the computer may partly analyze the data in real time (as it comes in) — R. H. March> <chatted online in real time>
— real–time adjective
(merriam-webster)

if it's being artificially slowed down, then it's no longer real-time. doing things in realtime is damned hard to do. there's a reason it takes a beefy computer to do realtime audio for a stage show, because all the processes, fx, etc etc etc have to be done in well... real time!

It's still real time. Imagine walking instead of running. Are you still in real time? Yes. A command that takes 3 seconds to execute now takes 4 seconds to execute. This is not taking you out of real time, it's slowing down how fast commands execute. The server goes from running to walking, and occasionally to crawling. Either way, you're still actively playing in real time.

14. Re: PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record Jan 26, 2015, 16:42 bhcompy

Slick wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 16:32:
lol i knew an EvE nerd could correct me on that xD

still, that 21 hour battle was probably 1 hour of fighting thanks to time-dialation. it really does change the metric used to measure "how many live people in a server at the same time". if counterstrike went from 66 tic to 0.00006 tic servers, their servers could probably host tens of thousands of players. i don't know specifics, but time-dialation make the comparison null and void IMO.

it'd be like comparing the maximum stadium occupancy for a show, vs how many attendees were present over a time-lapse of a month. they're different metrics. 1000+ real-time players is a feat.

Time Dilation is still real time. You're not queuing commands and logging off while commands go.

See for yourself

The average big battle in EVE is in the 500-1500 range. Time dilation sometimes occurs in those battles. All time dilation does is smooth out the game, rather than lag for all(which I've had my fair share of experience with in both games).

12. Re: PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record Jan 26, 2015, 16:28 bhcompy

Slick wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 15:46:
Ozmodan wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:42:
Poor SOE while they might have had that many people fighting on the server anyone that plays planetside 2 knows the battles are very spread out over a large area. Battles in Eve are far more intensive.

pretty sure there's no time-dialation happening in planetside 2, so that destroys this comparison. you have to warn CCP a week in advance of any huge battle so they can re-inforce the server. and even then it's nowhere close to 1158 players at once

We're reporting a big event in PS2.. the biggest, per them. Here's the biggest in Eve history..

B-R5RB BY THE NUMBERS

· Around 21 hours of total fighting

· 7,548 unique characters belonging to those two coalitions participated in the overall battle (i.e. landed on at least one killmail). 6,058 participated directly in the B-R5RB system with 2,670 in system at max

· 717 unique player Corporations

· 55 unique player Alliances

The butcher’s bill by the end of the fight was staggering:

Totals destroyed:

· Titans – 75 (74 in system, one on its way to the fight) N3/PL lost 59 titans and CFC/DTF lost 16 titans

· Titan losses by type: Gallente Erebus – 37, Amarr Avatar – 25, Minmatar Ragnarok – 13, Caldari Leviathan - 0

· Supercarriers – 13 (12 in system, one as it tried to escape the system)

· Dreadnaughts – 370 (356 in system, 14 in connected skirmishes as both sides attempted to stop the other from bringing reinforcements)

· Carriers – 123 (109 in system, 14 in connected skirmishes as both sides attempted to stop the other from bringing reinforcements)

· And lots more smaller ships and probably a bajilion drones and fighters

In comparison, the previous record for largest single battle Titan losses was a tie between battles in “O2O” and “Uemon”, with 12 total Titans destroyed in each.

Approximately 775 doomsdays were fired, which is about 24% of all the doomsdays fired in the last two years inclusive. The Battle for HED-GP, which preceeded this one in the Halloween War, had about 200 doomsdays.

News Comments > Ubisoft Deactivating Far Cry 4 Keys; Cites Fraud
17. Re: Ubisoft Deactivating Far Cry 4 Keys; Cites Fraud Jan 26, 2015, 15:44 bhcompy

Vio wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 15:24:
Regardless of legality Ubisoft is pretty much wearing the crown of the most hated company on the internet right now. I wonder if the de-activations are worth the bad publicity ball they keep feeding.

Ubisoft is Comcast?

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Accidentally Revealed?
16. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Accidentally Revealed? Jan 14, 2015, 12:04 bhcompy

Task wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 09:24:
And so the death knell of historical Total War has begun

Well, I mean, where do you suggest they go? It's not like there's a whole lot left to cover outside modern times, and there's only hundreds of games that cover that. I mean, maybe you could do pre-colonial and colonial America? Different tribes and European countries exploring and claiming territory covering US, Canada, Central America, and the Caribbean? I don't know how well that sells internationally..

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Omega Released
5. Re: AMD Catalyst Omega Released Dec 9, 2014, 13:45 bhcompy

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 11:28:
My concern with AMD has always been their drivers. It just seems they really don't spend much time testing them. Their hardware is always top notch, but I have always had more success with the Nvidia drivers, they test them more than AMD does.

I haven't had driver problems with ATi since the early Radeon 8500 days. Meanwhile, nV drivers have gone from great to megabloatware over the same timeperiod

News Comments > Evening Interviews
14. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 4, 2014, 02:13 bhcompy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 01:44:
Cutter wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 23:51:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 20:22:
Some of you guys might need to move to ISIS controlled Iran/Syria or something, where all women are forced to walk around fully covered, and you can feel more relaxed.

Also learning the difference between facts and innuendo might be helpful.

One thing has nothing to do with the other. You want to dress and act like trash that's how you're going to get treated. Women dressed modestly and professionally don't run into those sorts of problems. It's not rocket surgery and has nothing to do with men being pigs and everything to do with evolutionary traits that pertain to sex and sexual signals. You don't undo millions of years of genetic hardwiring in a few years because of some uptight PC assholes. Learn to deal with it already.

The innuendo remark is to the people STILL claiming Quinn got some sort of press coverage from a relationship, which is a spurious claim. Wasn't that game released for free anyway? That's a dead horse, but there you go.

As for judging people by their clothes and/or appearance, of course a lot of people do that, but that's where self control should step in. Don't judge a book by its cover, don't judge people based on race or appearance, etc. As adults that should be a skill most people have already acquired, but that's probably just wishful thinking on my part.

Requiring people to dress "moderately and professionally" whatever the hell that might mean to different people, ends up being a ridiculous request eventually, either due to age gap or cultural differences or any other difference in background.

Most everyone are judging by her actions, which have been pretty shitty over the past few months. She's like Bobby Hill screaming "THAT'S MY PURSE"

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
106. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 16:23 bhcompy

jdreyer wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 16:18:
Beamer wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 14:30:
claiming they will.)

What happened here?
They promised a giant space game.
One bullet point was offline single player play.
They delivered a giant space game with online single player play.

So what? I don't ask that emotionally, as I fully get why people want refunds. I ask that legally. So what?
You can still play your space sim, which is the key part of the contract.
You can still play it single player.
You just can't play it offline.
This doesn't seem material, as what you really backed was a giant space sim.
And there just aren't damages. You can't quantify it. Every single person downloading it will be able to play it. Some, such as yourself, will just have outages, but how do you quantify outages as damages? It's an inconvenience, not a total block. It's a hassle. And, for a game many will play for hundreds of hours, not being able to play for some hours is hardly anything. If you take the $50, divide it across total hours played to get a dollars per hour cost, then apply that back to hours you couldn't play it's, what, $5 maybe?

I think it's more complex than that? If I can show that I bought the game expecting to have access to it 24/7, then the developer cancels the feature that limits my availability by 50%, and I can show that, isn't that material loss? If I hire someone to build me a truck with promised offroad capability, and one month before delivery he says "Oh, I decided to remove the offroad ability" and 50% of my driving is off-road, isn't that a material loss?

Have you ever heard of someone successfully suing a company for shutting down an MMO? I mean, I bought the game for 24/7 access AND paid monthly. What about shutting down a shard? What about nerfing a character?

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
65. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 14:32 bhcompy

This is what Stop Payment is for. If you're not delivered the goods you ordered, stop payment. Obviously not going to help some people that bought in a long time ago, but this should teach you something: stop preordering games.  

News Comments > Total War: ROME II - Black Sea Colonies Culture Pack Pre-purchases
2. Re: Total War: ROME II - Black Sea Colonies Culture Pack Pre-purchases Nov 14, 2014, 13:42 bhcompy

I've heard that this game is not as good as Rome Total War. Anyone have any input on the game? I play RTW on occasion when I'm bored and on my crappy business travel laptop. Considering buying a newer TW game, but unsure what to buy or if I should buy anything at all.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 3, 2014, 11:48 bhcompy

Beamer wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 10:59:
I use all three. IE11 and FF are about equally good if you don't use plug-ins. I only use them for work (I know everyone loves adblocker, but a good host file does everything adblocker does, and more, and better.)

Chrome I'll only use for work. Google already knows everything about me, but I like making them work for it rather than serving it to them in a browser they designed.

So what do you use for home? Lynx?

788 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo