Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 728 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
19. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 12, 2011, 12:31 bhcompy

Beamer wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 12:22:
Works for the auto industry, works for books, works for plenty of things

None of which are comparable to video games. At all.
Music is the only one that has a valid comparison, and that never had a monolith like GameStop.

Retail markets are retail markets. There are nuances, but they can be worked around. For rentals, like I suggested with the PSN idea, there are potentially valid approaches, but the industry has to embrace it first. Once an industry embraces it, it becomes much easier to formulate a solution that works for all parties involved.

As far as used games, it's a used physical device. The same as Amazon selling a used book or a dealership selling a used car.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 12, 2011, 12:16 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 11:40:
Quite frankly I just don't give a shit. There is a used market. Developers need to just fucking deal with it.

Creston

I don't know, I agree with you on one hand but on the other you have the people who do the retarded rental flipping stuff that really needs the hammer dropped on it. I don't think there being a used market is necessarily a reality going forward either, the industry is going to kill it in a generation or two at the most.

Embrace the used market. Works for the auto industry, works for books, works for plenty of things. Sony could make a killing doing videogame rentals over PSN like they do with movie rentals. They could still provide revenue to developers with per rental royalties in this case, where they do not generate that type of revenue from physical disc rentals. By doing it in this manner they could also control the property, so that it is harder to copy.

News Comments > GTA4 Live Event Today
18. Re: GTA4 Live Event Today Sep 9, 2011, 12:25 bhcompy

justice7 wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 10:53:
Creston wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 10:46:
An event for a three year old game? On the most hated "games" service in existence? Sounds like a winner.

Creston

Very strongly disagree with your negative remark about GTA IV here.

It is most likely my favourite video game of all time, and I started on the Atari. Supporting a three year old game is something that most people around here would say that companies never seem to do anymore... yet when they do it, you've got something 'smart' to say about it.

Supporting a three year old game many people adore is all good in my books.

As i'd stated in a previous thread, most Blues posters are extremely negative nancies. Debbie downers, shit disturbers or just outright cynical.

Need to make sure you comprehend the statement before you respond to it. The comment says most hated games service, which GFWL is.

News Comments > RAGE Specs
20. Re: RAGE Specs Sep 7, 2011, 01:40 bhcompy

Fion wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 22:42:
Nate wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 22:03:
I ordered a physical copy from NewEgg when they had a sale. How many CDs I'm wondering?

Surprised by the low graphic card requirements given how nice Rage looks.

CD's? Probably like 40 lol. Though I doubt it'd come out on CD.

Bluray please

News Comments > RAGE Specs
19. Re: RAGE Specs Sep 7, 2011, 01:39 bhcompy

Win XP? Really? Recommended even? Can't even address the recommended RAM  

News Comments > On EVE Online and Dust 514
9. Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Sep 3, 2011, 21:03 bhcompy

Jonny wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 19:23:
As far as I understand the reasoning, they reckon that Eve players already play Eve so they've got a chunk of the PC market sewn up. Whereas they've got none of the console market so making it PS3 exclusive breaks them nicely into that. Essentially also that they fear a PC release would cannibalise Eve players away from their subscriptions.

Seems to be a ridiculous position to me. I've heard over and over again people who like the idea of Eve but find it's mechanics dry and it's slow burning nature frustrating. I'd be willing to bet there'd not only be every current Eve player buying a copy on the PC, but a ready made market of those who want in to the universe without the spreadsheets.

This is their reasoning.

I also expect it to move to PC eventually after the PS3 goes by the wayside, unless they move it to PS4 of course.

That said, MAG has a semi-persistent universe and does okay. There are MMOs on PS3(and was one or two on PS2 as well).

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 3, 2011, 21:01 bhcompy

Amazon's Kindle tablet is a bit too late for what it is, which is a Nook Color clone. B&N embraces the hackers/crackers that want to root the Nook Color, Amazon is generally against such things.  

News Comments > The Fate of Sledgehammer's CoD Game Explained (Somewhat)
12. Re: The Fate of Sledgehammer's CoD Game Explained (Somewhat) Sep 2, 2011, 19:50 bhcompy

Teddy wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 16:41:
bhcompy wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 16:34:
Teddy wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 15:43:
Ludomancer wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 15:12:
And there are a lot of fans out there who enjoy games like uncharted, right? So you can imagine that genre meets a world-class franchise.

'Cause, you know, Uncharted is practically unheard of!

No, but it is limited to one platform.

So was Final Fantasy.

Is that a joke?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy

The franchise spans 13 platforms.

Are you dense? Was the iPhone around in 1987?

Until FF13, every game in the series was exclusive to a particular console for extended periods of time. Some were eventually remade or otherwise rereleased much later on other systems.

Of course there are tons of other titles as well. Perhaps you'd like another first party title: Anything Mario

News Comments > Black Rock Studio Closed
4. Re: Black Rock Studio Closed Sep 2, 2011, 16:35 bhcompy

Split/Second was the best racing game since FlatOut 2. I has a sad.  

News Comments > The Fate of Sledgehammer's CoD Game Explained (Somewhat)
9. Re: The Fate of Sledgehammer's CoD Game Explained (Somewhat) Sep 2, 2011, 16:34 bhcompy

Teddy wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 15:43:
Ludomancer wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 15:12:
And there are a lot of fans out there who enjoy games like uncharted, right? So you can imagine that genre meets a world-class franchise.

'Cause, you know, Uncharted is practically unheard of!

No, but it is limited to one platform.

So was Final Fantasy.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 2, 2011, 00:35 bhcompy

Pachter shows his idiocy again. Home was not a bad idea with good execution. It was a good idea with bad execution. Where is the promised home where your friends can enter and see your trophy case(for instance)? That was one of the first things bandied about with home. It never appeared, and it never will. Failure.  

News Comments > Hawken Trailer
14. Re: Hawken Trailer Aug 28, 2011, 14:09 bhcompy

Shogo wasn't a mech sim either, but it was an awesome mech game. Better than anything on a console(and I've owned plenty of console mech games)  

News Comments > Hawken Trailer
5. Re: Hawken Trailer Aug 28, 2011, 02:04 bhcompy

Jerykk wrote on Aug 27, 2011, 23:32:
There have been a bunch of mech games released over the past decade. Armored Core, Front Mission Evolved, Steel Battalion and Chromehounds come to mind. Granted, these were all Japanese (or Japanese-inspired) mech games but mech games nonetheless. Hawken doesn't really resemble traditional western mech games and looks to be a hybrid between Japanese and western styles.

They're console games.

News Comments > Call of Duty Job Openings
11. Re: Call of Duty Job Openings Aug 26, 2011, 11:01 bhcompy

dj LiTh wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 01:28:
I cant wait till Treyarch releases another product that isnt based on Infinity Wards engine. All this studio can do is reskin and make new campaigns.

I can't wait till Infinity Ward releases another product that isn't based on id's engine.

News Comments > Square "Respects the Right of GameStop" to Remove OnLive Coupons
10. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 10:59 bhcompy

Beelzebud wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 10:53:
I'm still amused that after all their talk about a Gamer's Bill of Rights, that Stardock sold Impulse to these cretins.

I'm sure the complete failure of Elemental had nothing to do with it.

News Comments > Team Fortress Turns 15
20. Re: Team Fortress Turns 15 Aug 25, 2011, 09:54 bhcompy

Dev wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 05:27:
Tanto Edge wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 04:46:
Nail Grenades, Cluster Grenades, Concussion Grenades, Fire Grenades.
But seriously, who remembers that stuff, eh?
I mean, who remembers a demoman that used demolitions packs (+detpack5)?
Been there, done that. One of the things I like about TF2, less nade spam. Although I remember the EMP nades from engie with fondness (you didn't mention those)

Medic AIDS axe

News Comments > Only 24 Players in Battlefield 3 Team Deathmatch
24. Re: Only 24 Players in Battlefield 3 Team Deathmatch Aug 20, 2011, 22:37 bhcompy

ASeven wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 20:27:
Teddy wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 20:21:
LittleMe wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 20:18:
ASeven wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 19:29:
no ingame browser, etc

Whoa is this true??? Wow.

Yes. They redesigned things so that the server browser used is part of the Battlelog website.

They forced a needless change to force us to use their shitty services, you mean. This is devolving the concept of server browsers, not evolving.

Considering how shitty the ingame server browsers have been since the the beginning of the series, it's not a big deal for me

News Comments > Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play "Our Goal
12. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 12:34 bhcompy

Microsoft had a crossplatform game with Shadowrun. They had to down-tweak the kb/mouse to compete with console gamers, who also had aim assist. Shadowrun has been shuttered and the website is gone, but they posted about this in their dev blogs. Way back machine might have it still

Ultimately, the kb/mouse will always be superior, but not necessarily because of what you think. Analog sticks on controllers have deadzones of 10-15 degrees. Because of this lack of precision, the controllers will never be as accurate as a mouse, which has no deadzone.

News Comments > Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed
42. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 18, 2011, 17:29 bhcompy

Games like Driver are first and foremost console games. Sucks that Ubisoft are being dicks, but pretty much everything they're dropping on PC that has this type of DRM is a console game. How's about you play it on a console and stop bitching

/hate DRM as much as anyone else, but wanting to play a shitty port is even worse

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer
40. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 16, 2011, 16:26 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 15:41:
Joss wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 15:38:
Yeah, Track IR support would rock! Oh well, maybe one day.

Unfortunately Dice can barely manage to support more a handful of joysticks, let alone TrackIR. The joystick support for Bad Company 2 was hilariously bad.

Because starting with Codename Eagle the games were setup for flight with mouse/kb. They pretty much have the best mouse/kb implementation around. I don't like it with a joystick after playing with it that way for a decade+

728 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo