Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 726 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2011, 10:38 bhcompy

TDK is chargin its laser?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo II Ladder Reset This Month
2. Re: Diablo II Ladder Reset This Month Oct 7, 2011, 23:23 bhcompy

I just wish they'd drop the damn price or offer it on steam. 20bux for d2 is ridiculous  

News Comments > The Repopulation Status Report
2. Re: The Repopulation Status Report Oct 5, 2011, 15:02 bhcompy

Lobster wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 11:27:
With minigames copied from God of War. Awwww yyyeeaaah...

I'm thinking of a particularly good minigame in God of War.. would that be the one?

News Comments > New Arkham City Villain Revealed
6. Re: New Arkham City Villain Revealed Oct 5, 2011, 13:50 bhcompy

Flava Flav?  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 5, 2011, 09:16 bhcompy

SirKnight wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 23:09:
I'm also very disappointed how the iPod touch is still the same. I was hoping for 128GB finally as my 64GB is getting quite low.

Ditch that crap and get a sansa. never have to worry about space again

News Comments > RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers
66. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 13:23 bhcompy

Lorcin wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 12:58:
Why do game designers have to cater for every choice under the sun when it's their baby!

As evidenced, they don't have to do anything. If they want more income from enthusiasts, they should, though. You take a Corvette and give it an automatic transmission only and you're going to lose a statistically significant chunk of your potential customer base. The Corvette is the designers baby, but they recognize that they are running a business and when you run a business you must appeal to your customers. This shit ain't art. It's a product.

Obviously, they're more than willing to sacrifice a group of potential customers for some reason. That sacrifice will lose them sales that they're willing to eat, which is fine, because I'll play something else instead. It's unfortunate, because id used to be the go to for the enthusiast gamer. That is why enthusiasts are upset. One more developer gone down the drain. I'll just give more money to Tripwire, Paradox, TaleWorlds, GSC, Valve, etc instead.

57. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 13:14 bhcompy

Beamer wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 12:53:
And? id games have had longevity.

I've played Quake more hours than every other game I've ever played combined.

How many hours did you get from Doom 3?

Good job, though, on claiming you got more hours out of a 16 year old game than a 7 year old game.

The point is longevity. I played Homefront through once and rarely played it after that. There was nothing to hold me there. Ditto with Doom 3, really. Nobody is playing Daikatana despite it being very old, but there are plenty still playing games of similar/older age like Quake 2, Half-life, etc. I'll still go back to Quake fairly often and still see people playing that I've played with for over 10 years, because the game is so good at certain things that there is nothing that can compare. And like I said, Quake more than every other game combined, not just one game.

Companies like Bethesda, Activision, EA, Ubisoft, etc are deliberately breaking a proven system(HLCS being 1 or 2 top played on Steam right now is indicative of this) in order to have more institutional control. No private dedicated servers means that, no matter how awesome the game may be, it has a defined lifespan. Fuck that. Same goes for every other standard feature that becomes vaporware. Those games last so long and generate future revenue and goodwill for the company do so because of the features, not despite them(which is how the companies treat said features, as if they are antagonistic).

43. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 12:40 bhcompy

Beamer wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 11:09:
id gets bought by Bethesda.

In the past decade Bethesda has brought us Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3, with New Vegas being outsourced.
In the past decade id has brought us Doom 3 with Quake 4, Quake Wars and 2 Wolfensteins being outsourced.

I'm thinking being acquired by Bethesda was a good thing for this game.

And? id games have had longevity.

I've played Quake more hours than every other game I've ever played combined.

Morrowind was pretty and interesting(bought an 8500 to have shiny water for it), but by Oblivion it was redundant, and FO3 was alright. The most interesting Bethesda game I've played was Sea Dogs.

Won't be getting Rage. It's obviously not up to snuff with id's previous offerings considering all the restrictions and general lack of standard options/functionality for an id game. Carmack burns a little more goodwill with this one. Sooner or later he'll be no better than Cliffy B or Romero from a PC gaming perspective, if he's not already there given Rage.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 4, 2011, 12:24 bhcompy

nin wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 11:24:
Microsoft ditches Zune hardware.

Let me put on my surprise face...

Unfortunate, really. It's a nice piece of hardware(well, the 1st gens at least)

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Future Soldier in March
1. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier in March Oct 3, 2011, 23:30 bhcompy

So how bad is the PC release going to be this time? Gradual slippage into shit, this series has been.  

News Comments > BF3 Open Beta Begins
63. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 29, 2011, 16:03 bhcompy

necrosis wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 15:51:
External server browsers are so 1998.

We go from having to use QuakeSpy to ingame server browsers back out to a webpage? This isn't QuakeLive. The game needs a ingame browser.

As for the alt+tab and alt+f4 being a acceptable method why don't we just end task the game while we are at it? Rolleyes

Bullshit. Outside of Valve's internal browser(which is really an external browser built into their overlay layer and semi-integrated into the games), there is not one internal browser ever that has matched the functionality of ASE or GS3d. The problem isn't the external browsers, it never has been. It's been with developers and publishers not liking third party programs launching their games, which is why they removed commands and added splash screens you can't bypass to discourage their use(Hello BF1942)

News Comments > Red Orchestra 2 Draft Manual and Other Post-Release Plans
14. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Draft Manual and Other Post-Release Plans Sep 28, 2011, 14:15 bhcompy

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 14:12:
Bhruic wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 13:52:
The hoops you gotta go through to get into a game to even change your options or settings is retarded.

Yes, yes it is. For those not in the beta, you have to be in-game to change your settings. That is, actually playing in a round. You can't change them if you are dead. You can't change them if you haven't spawned. So in order to fiddle around with your game settings, you have to spawn into the game, and hope that no one sees you and kills you. Why? Because as soon as you are killed, the settings screen closes, and you have to start all over again - once you've respawned.

Sheer idiocy, and if they release the game in that state, I'll be pretty pissed. The only reason I'm giving them a pass is because of the hope that this is merely a beta restriction, and won't be present in the final game.

I was watching the TotalBiscuit video preview of the beta last night while waiting for the beta to download and he was saying he joined in the game, started changing his settings then he was booted from the game for inactivity. Whoever made that decision and to have friendly fire on in the beta was a really smart person.

Didn't UE games and some others(Serious Sam?) used to have external configuration tools(like a VB type window) where you handle all of your settings without having to log in to the game? That's all that is really needed.

9. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Draft Manual and Other Post-Release Plans Sep 28, 2011, 12:41 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 12:35:
I was just disappointed that Tripwire thought it was ok to release RO2 like this.

The only real problem I have with it is the click not responding 30% of the time when you want to fire. I hope they have this fixed soon, because it's extremely annoying and the cause of numerous deaths

7. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Draft Manual and Other Post-Release Plans Sep 28, 2011, 12:30 bhcompy

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 11:47:
Wait until they release BF3 in a month. Based on the beta feedback from friends (I know it is a beta) it is a freakin mess. The hoops you gotta go through to get into a game to even change your options or settings is retarded. At least with RO2 within 30 seconds of the game launches I am joining into a MP match, and that is something awesome these days with the whackjob server browsers some games have.

Need to bring back the days of GS3d and ASE. They're ancient and yet still have the best options for server browsers by far.

2. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Draft Manual and Other Post-Release Plans Sep 28, 2011, 10:18 bhcompy

Considering the complexity of the game, it's ridiculous that it doesn't have a manual  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Driver: San Francisco
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Driver: San Francisco Sep 27, 2011, 17:53 bhcompy

Beamer wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 17:36:
Just play FlatOut. The most recent one fixed a good amount of the flaws of the original.

Destruction Derby was fun, but if you think back to it you basically spent the whole time driving in reverse. I think we were easier to please back then.

FlatOut is great, but also old. I'd be happy with a new FlatOut, but they haven't released anything new since FlatOut 2 ages ago(HeadOn and such are just repackaged versions of 2 for other platforms)

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Driver: San Francisco
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Driver: San Francisco Sep 27, 2011, 17:00 bhcompy

Can Reflections please release a new Destruction Derby? It's only been eons  

News Comments > IW on PC Modern Warfare 3
9. Re: IW on PC Modern Warfare 3 Sep 27, 2011, 13:00 bhcompy

DangerDog wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 12:28:
Releasing the mod tools would be a colossal undertaking for them, also due to the complexity of the game engine used you would never be able to figure out how it all works.

This is what I never understood. Quake used QuakeC. Here it is. Good luck. Final result is some of the best games and mods of all time. And mapping/modelling was the same. HL had Worldcraft(or whatever it was) and it wasn't any easier.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Sep 23, 2011, 03:07 bhcompy

Consoles are shitty PCs because all the meatheads wanted to do shit on their consoles that they should have left on the PC to begin with. Leave the multimedia, ditch all the other shit  

News Comments > Why No Commander in Battlefield 3
17. Re: Why No Commander in Battlefield 3 Sep 23, 2011, 01:57 bhcompy

spindoctor wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 00:44:
LittleMe wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 23:27:
Then why not fix/improve the role instead of eliminating it?

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read this. Why not design the role better instead of complaining about how it was a bad idea because of weak design?

It worked okay in BF2. Could have theoretically kept it. That said, they make it sound like it's undoable. I'd say what was effectively the commander in Tribes(whoever manned the command console, basically) worked real well.

726 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo