Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 715 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons
55. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 8, 2012, 09:25 bhcompy

Beelzebud wrote on May 7, 2012, 21:14:
I just want to see an MMO that does not use the Wow FormulaDark Age of Camelot formula. Design your own combat systems. Design your own skill systems. Stop making every MMO exactly the same game with a different skin on it.

Say what you will about Asheron's Call and Everquest, but at least in that era there was a clear distinction between the games.

Fixed. I hate revisionist history.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ridge Racer Unbounded Demo
7. Re: Ridge Racer Unbounded Demo May 4, 2012, 14:01 bhcompy

Elf Shot The Food wrote on May 4, 2012, 12:47:
It plays like an odd combination of Split Second and Burnout Revenge, but isn't as good as either one. While the game's certainly not bad, I'd wait for a sale.

Made by BugBear, who made FlatOut(which, imho, is better than Burnout)

News Comments > Nexon Bids on EA: Report
26. Re: Nexon Bids on EA: Report Apr 27, 2012, 10:29 bhcompy

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 08:49:
I'd love to see EA bought out by just about anyone, as it would be very difficult for them to become any shittier without haemorrhaging the majority of their customer base (which I would also consider a 'win').

My ultimate fantasy? Valve buys out EA. They've got the money. They've got the clout. They've got the vision.

It makes no sense for them to buy EA. They can't manage a company with the scope and size of EA without completely changing how they do business. Now, buying Maxis and Westwood IPs would be very nice. Buying DICE and adding the Valve polish and QA to the raw, but great, games DICE generally puts out would also be very nice.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 26, 2012, 12:46 bhcompy

“It comes down to choice,” Xbox Live’s UK product manager Pav Bhardwaj told MCV.

“The customer has the choice of going to retail on day one if they really want to buy a particular title, or to wait a couple of months and buy it full price from the Xbox Live marketplace.

Err, it comes down to not pissing off your retail partners, really. Sony doesn't particularly care about this, and they'll benefit from it more

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Specs
37. Re: Max Payne 3 Specs Apr 24, 2012, 10:46 bhcompy

MattyC wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 00:09:
Am I the only one that thinks the CPU req is somewhat high end compared to the 2006-2007 era video card and RAM reqs?

Probably single threaded.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 21, 2012, 18:50 bhcompy

Ant wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 14:38:
bhcompy wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 13:59:
m0deth wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 11:33:
Lol, AMD pissing on Linux users again eh? They finally manage to get drivers that aren't either incompetently built, jokingly poor, or nearly impossible to get installed.

Then they get what 2 years worth of decent drivers out and it's time to drop 4870 support from catalyst? Perhaps they forgot many folks use Linux to get more life out of older hardware, and many will now look to their competitor as a solution. Not like they have been all that much better.

The funny part in the article is the assumption that Windows machines will be treated the same way, Phoronix never ceases to amaze, as highly technical as they are, they always sound like 12 year old fanboys.

It's called keeping with the times. You can get a 5 series+ for under $100.
Sure for desktops, but not lappies.

I don't expect them to keep releasing drivers for my Radeon 9800pro Mobility, either.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 21, 2012, 13:59 bhcompy

m0deth wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 11:33:
Lol, AMD pissing on Linux users again eh? They finally manage to get drivers that aren't either incompetently built, jokingly poor, or nearly impossible to get installed.

Then they get what 2 years worth of decent drivers out and it's time to drop 4870 support from catalyst? Perhaps they forgot many folks use Linux to get more life out of older hardware, and many will now look to their competitor as a solution. Not like they have been all that much better.

The funny part in the article is the assumption that Windows machines will be treated the same way, Phoronix never ceases to amaze, as highly technical as they are, they always sound like 12 year old fanboys.

It's called keeping with the times. You can get a 5 series+ for under $100.

News Comments > Diablo III Open Beta Weekend
53. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 20, 2012, 15:23 bhcompy

Still at work.. I've heard the GUI is greatly consolized. Input?  

News Comments > New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Add FXAA
8. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Add FXAA Apr 9, 2012, 14:53 bhcompy

Mastaba wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 14:47:
3dfx's patents became NVIDIA's once the buyout was completed.

Bingo.

Just like the Aureal A3D patents became Creative's after they bought them out.. and Creative did the same goddamn thing and sat on a superior technology in favor of their own inferior one because of hubris.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Add FXAA
5. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Add FXAA Apr 9, 2012, 13:55 bhcompy

Furthermore, FXAA is able to anti-alias increasingly-popular transparent textures

Considering 3dfx was doing it a decade ago, I'm not terribly impressed, particularly since they own the goddamn patents for it

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
7. Re: Sunday Consolidation Apr 2, 2012, 10:02 bhcompy

Dev wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 07:54:
The Half Elf wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 23:16:
ya notice why noone has a MMO on the 360 besides Phantasy Star?

Every time you went to update the game it'd have to go through Microsoft Certification.
Yeah and doesn't that cost money? I seem to recall some dev saying every patch costs like $80,000 fee paid to MS for the certification or more.

Regardless of the cost there's a reason that Valve switched sides from being pro-360 and anti-PS3 to the other way around. Certification is part of that, but so is control of your product. Considering Dust is going to be F2P, they probably didn't want to use a service that already involves a charge and I imagine they get a better deal as far as revenue sharing from items bought through their online store as well, assuming that both MS and Sony would take a cut of those dollars.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 29, 2012, 11:23 bhcompy

For once I hope Pachter is right  

News Comments > Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller
66. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 16:14 bhcompy

Jerykk wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 12:40:
bhcompy wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 11:50:
You were saying, Jerykk?

Yes? You are aware that you can play the PC version with a gamepad and still get superior visuals and performance, right? I'm not really sure why you can't grasp this concept.

Quoting necrosis:
They were always to lazy to add proper 16:10 aspect support. Now mouse and keyboard is to much?

How is that better? Why do I want to play on a screen with a distorted image due to improper aspect ratio scaling?

News Comments > Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller
7. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 11:50 bhcompy

You were saying, Jerykk?  

News Comments > New SimCity Only Playable Online
14. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 10:52 bhcompy

Guess I'm playing SimCity2000 on a VM  

News Comments > GTA5 Details Leaked?
62. Re: GTA5 Details Leaked? Mar 27, 2012, 13:52 bhcompy

Jerykk wrote on Mar 27, 2012, 12:37:
That comment makes you look just as stupid as the other side of the coin. I have lots of platforms because I am a gamer, but have always been a PC gamer. There are games I enjoy playing on console, and unfortunatley, for the reasons you have stated, I mostly play GTA games on console than PC. But I have them all and have played through GTA4 2x each on xbox and PC.

So... are you going to say anything to actually disprove my claim? Even Rockstar's shoddy ports are still better than the console versions. The reason you choose to play these games on consoles rather than on PC has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with you wanting to sit on a couch and being too lazy to hook up your PC to your TV. That just supports my point.

The only reason to play GTA on the PC is mods, but then it's like playing a game from DICE: it's a great idea with so many fucking implementation problems that it tends to be a headache to really love

59. Re: GTA5 Details Leaked? Mar 27, 2012, 11:02 bhcompy

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 20:08:
My point is that you call yourself a PC gamer but seem utterly and completely uninterested in it as a gaming platform.

You're inferring quite a lot.

I put in a good 30-60 hours of PC gaming a week. Unless there is something I feel like playing, less than 5 hours a week on the PS3. Ultimately, console ports to PC are 99% universally bad. I'd rather play it in its natural environment. And GTA4 is better on a console. You have a problem with that, but who cares, you're a closed minded fool that likes to assume things and then degrade people for it. You're no better than any other moron fanboy. I'd rather every game was designed primarily for PC in the first place, but that isn't reality.

42. Re: GTA5 Details Leaked? Mar 26, 2012, 15:22 bhcompy

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 14:07:
[But a true PC gamer - which is what you claimed to be - would simply hook up their system to an HDTV and use a wireless X360 controller to play games at 1080p, maxed out. I have a 42" 1080p LED TV hooked up for when I want to chill out and a 30" 1600p monitor for serious gaming. Your argument is utter bullshit. If you don't give a shit about graphical fidelity or you can't afford it then that's fine, but don't claim to be a "PC gamer through and through" and then tell us that sub-720p with low resolution textures and no AA/AF is acceptable simply because your seat is slightly more comfortable.

Like I said, there are some things PC is the best at, by far, and there are some that their aren't. Plus, 360? The controller sucks and the system is redundant.

And graphical fidelity doesn't make a game. I still haven't found a better deathmatch experience than QWRA. Graphics blow, but the game is awesome. Physics, speed, and weapon combinations are unmatched. Same goes for consoles. Castlevania SOTN was a 2d game in an era when all the games were going 3d, yet it's considered one of the best PSX games ever(and it's still a great game today).

News Comments > SOE Live Announced
3. Re: SOE Live Announced Mar 26, 2012, 15:17 bhcompy

Might be worth it for Planetside 2, but Dust514 is looking great too. Then again, it's Vegas. Any excuse is a good excuse  

8. Re: GTA5 Details Leaked? Mar 26, 2012, 10:35 bhcompy

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 10:32:
bhcompy wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 10:20:
Meh, not really concerned. PC gamer through and through, but GTA is the type of game that's better on a console.
So you'd rather play games at 600-720p than 1200-1600p? You'd rather not have anti-aliasing, high resolution textures or modding capabilities? You'd rather have longer load times, be forced to use a controller and have to put the disk in each time? So much for you being a PC gamer through and through".

For me I'd want to see DX11 features, optimised performance for 1600p, proper SLI/Crossfire support, a PC centric interface and a recognition that PC gamers are just as important as console gamers (if there wasn't a profit to be made then they wouldn't bother). If it's anything like the shit-in-a-can PC port of GTAIV then they can piss right off, as that was absolutely unacceptable.

GTA isn't the kind of game I want to play on a computer screen with a mouse and keyboard. I'm happier playing games like GTA, God of War, MLB The Show, etc on a console sitting on my couch with a controller. PC does shooter and RTS the best, and there is no argument. Other genres? Plenty of arguments as to the ups and downs.

715 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo