Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 734 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > MMOGs Under Attack
13. Re: MMOGs Under Attack Aug 22, 2014, 22:11 bhcompy

Tjold wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 17:20:
Who the fuck goes around packeting MMOs?
And, like, why?

Eve has had this problem for years. Eve does have a significant Russian population, which definitely adds to some botnet accessibility, but it also just has a strong powergamer populace and there is really a lot of realworld money at stake. I mean, Titan's are almost worth $10k USD(or they were when I last played at least).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 17, 2014, 11:00 bhcompy

Redmask wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 10:17:
I thought I wouldn't like CS:GO but I decided to give it a whirl due to the sale weekend. It is surprisingly fun, a lot of old school charm and the FPS mechanics are still tight and enjoyable. It is not at all innovative but just well executed. I'm having a much better time with it than Payday 2 which has inconsistent AI and mission scripting that seems bizarre. I was really hoping for a videogame version of Heat from Payday 2 but it falls well short.

The point was never innovation, it was iteration. CSGO is merely an update to keep the CS ball rollin

News Comments > Gwent: Witcher 3's Embedded Card Game
7. Re: Gwent: Witcher 3's Embedded Card Game Aug 16, 2014, 15:39 bhcompy

So how much did MS pay to get the Xbone Collector's Edition? Hopefully not more than a few hundred bucks given the installbase  

News Comments > Evolve is Big Gamescom Winner
10. Re: Evolve is Big Gamescom Winner Aug 16, 2014, 15:35 bhcompy

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 12:24:
It's kinda hilarious that this game won "Best of Gamescom" award.. youtube gameplay looks spray and pray vs giant tank like targets so that every noob can hit anything

Yeah, the future of multi-player shooters is consolized shooter gameplay 4 vs 1 ... with forced coop and no dynamic levels, destruction or anything even remotely interesting.

Snorefest ^^

I take it you're not a Left4Dead fan

News Comments > Star Citizen in Depth
14. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 11:55 bhcompy

Space games never really fell, they just went indie. Star Citizen is kind of an outlier, and until it's delivered no one really knows what will happen. The X series and games like Sins of a Solar Empire have done very well over the past decade.  

News Comments > Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek
20. Re: Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek Jul 31, 2014, 11:30 bhcompy

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 03:44:
bhcompy wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 15:36:
Task wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 15:19:
They are going to end up being a mainly engine based company like Unreal, they aren't going anywhere.

The problem is that they have very little in the engine market to begin with. EA is on a Frostbite or die kick. id is purely idtech. Everyone else is on Unreal Tech.

Star Citizen, Evolve, and Archeage come to mind.

And other than Star Citizen, they're all nothing games, and Star Citizen isn't going to change much for Crytek regardless

12. Re: Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek Jul 30, 2014, 15:43 bhcompy

Quboid wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 15:05:
Did the reason for the developers of Crysis, I presume a well selling game, to be in this situation? Did Ryse fail as hard as it deserved to?

What independent studios pushing AAA level games are left standing that don't have either a huge engine business(Epic/Unreal), an MMO with a distinct niche(CCP/EVE), or a storefront(Valve/Steam, Stardock/Impulse*)? Crytek fits in none of those buckets.

*-Impulse was sold to Gamestop and Stardock games are sold on Steam, but Stardock apps are sold on their website.

10. Re: Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek Jul 30, 2014, 15:36 bhcompy

Task wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 15:19:
They are going to end up being a mainly engine based company like Unreal, they aren't going anywhere.

The problem is that they have very little in the engine market to begin with. EA is on a Frostbite or die kick. id is purely idtech. Everyone else is on Unreal Tech.

News Comments > EVE Online Crius Launches
5. Re: EVE Online Crius Launches Jul 22, 2014, 18:45 bhcompy

NKD wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 13:37:
Acleacius wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 13:32:
Protesting against ccp for what they've done to the Vampire The Masquerade. Speaking out against them and not buying their games, seems to be the only solution to freeing the VtM franchise. Sadly, even it if takes them going into bankruptcy.

I don't get it. What's the problem with CCP owning VTM? Has anyone even approached them to try and license it for a game? Knowing CCP, they'd be more than willing to do that. After all they licensed out the Pen & Paper portion wholesale to another company and they're doing an admirable job with it.

Now that World of Darkness has been canceled(unfortuntaley, imho, as their alpha/prototype had the feel down pat), I'm sure they're open towards licensing the IP for a game

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 20, 2014, 19:48 bhcompy

Dagnamit wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 19:27:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 19:14:
bhcompy wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 19:06:
What the hell is the problem with DayZ? It's a goddamn positive development in gaming. It requires patience, it's not from a AAA studio, it has a great deal of customization available, and it's hard. This is what PC gaming is supposed to have in spades.
I think the problem is that it's not close to being finished and the completion date isn't even on the horizon.

DayZ won't ever be complete. They'll always find things to add to it. Sure, it's not finished but the core gameplay is not going to be changing all that much. Aside from the many bugs, which it will always have because it's the Arma engine, I consider the game complete enough to be very playable, and has been for some time.

It reminds me of Codename Eagle/BF1942. Buggy with very unpolished gameplay, but fun as hell. I'm okay with that, because if I'm having fun, that's all that matters.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 20, 2014, 19:06 bhcompy

What the hell is the problem with DayZ? It's a goddamn positive development in gaming. It requires patience, it's not from a AAA studio, it has a great deal of customization available, and it's hard. This is what PC gaming is supposed to have in spades.  

News Comments > Magic 2015 - Duels of the Planeswalkers Demo
1. Re: Magic 2015 - Duels of the Planeswalkers Demo Jul 19, 2014, 17:50 bhcompy

Just an FYI to avoid this game. The new progression model is focused on microtransactions(or, well, minor DLC transactions). They also did away with 2HG, statically themed decks, etc. Yes, you can build your own deck, but you're limited by a small cardbase, so you don't have enough to make a single themed deck in many instances, and the default decks can barely beat the tutorial 50% of the time,  

News Comments > West Games/Areal AMA Doesn't Answer All Questions
4. Re: West Games/Areal AMA Doesn't Answer All Questions Jul 14, 2014, 10:25 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 10:23:
Really dubious proposition here, they're developing an engine in-house but can't show any of it off? They can't even provide proof they have the console SDKs required.

Stalker derivative. Console. No.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Interview
3. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Interview Jul 12, 2014, 19:48 bhcompy

Darks wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 19:14:
Boring! another fucked up title made into a pvp bullshit game.

Well, even worse, a true tactical shooter gutted even more.

News Comments > Watch Dogs DLC
6. Re: Watch Dogs DLC Jul 2, 2014, 00:09 bhcompy

Slick wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 20:04:
still unplayable on PC. pos and neg mouse accel is so bad. so very very bad. no way anyone at ubi has ever tried playing their own game on a pc with mouse n keys.

I have no problem with the PC version of the game except for an odd memory leak after alt-tabbing too many times

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 30, 2014, 11:00 bhcompy

CrimsonPaw wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 09:38:
I would hate to see the Vita fall off the face of gaming, I think it's one of the best portables I've played. The issue seems to be that the industry has given the device the middle finger and abandoned it. Let's hope Gamescom shows something for it since its presence was non-existent at E3.

People don't want to pay 40-60$ for mobile games, basically. Great system, but the market doesn't want it. They want 5$ angry birds.

News Comments > GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble
36. Re: GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble Jun 22, 2014, 20:47 bhcompy

DrEvil wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 20:00:
Zombiegoat213 wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 19:07:
So basically this is sort of like what happened with id Software; great PC tech demos, story is a little washed-out, not much follow-through in licencing the engines for third-party companies, and following it all up with focusing on the console market.

Too bad.

Except iD actually made some games that sold really well: Quake I-III, Doom I-II, and made quite a bit of money through licensing for a while.

So it's actually not like that at all; all indications are that iD was far more commercially successful than Crytek game sales wise.

(Yes I'm ignoring Rage.)

Indeed. And the Quake engine still lives on in Source and IW(Call of Duty series), which are rooted in Quake and Quake 2.

Notable 3rd party id engine titles are Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Soldier of Fortune, Half-Life, RTCW, Jedi Knight, Alice, Star Trek Elite Force, Prey, Heretic, etc. Cryengine didn't see anywhere near the adoption. id stopped innovating while Unreal continued to provide tools and assistance for all platforms, so idtech was supplanted as the go to engine for licensing.

23. Re: GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble Jun 22, 2014, 17:24 bhcompy

Frags4Fun wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 16:29:
TangledThorns wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 14:24:
Clever Caviar wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 14:04:
I've been playing through the first this year also (never played it at the time) and hats off, even considering the age of it, it's an amazing looking game to behold. I don't like saying "best ever!!!" but those jungles are pretty astonishing. Yet to try the others, but am aware of the negativity surrounding them.

Right on about the jungle. I was playing BF4 last night and was amazed that DICE has yet to allow plants to move when walk through them. In fact, I can't think of another non-Crytek game that does this.

Actually, BF4 does have this ability but it was removed from the game shortly after release with the promise that it would be reimplemented in the future. I doubt that it will ever be re-enabled since DICE removed features from BF3 in the beginning and they were also never re-enabled. Dice doesn't fix things, they put bandaids on everything.

Meh. Call of Duty has accurate fish swim patterns, too, but, you know what? Battlefield has destructible terrain and buildings, and that is superior to fish physics or grass swaying.

4. Re: GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble Jun 22, 2014, 13:13 bhcompy

Dagnamit wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 13:03:
NeOCidE wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 12:52:
Them darn pirates!!!!!

not surprised. They've never even made a game that I would consider anything more than above average. And it's not like they've ever blown the roof off in selling the decent ones.

$60 million stretch goal. Cloud Imperium buys Crytek.

Crytek's games always seemed like glorified tech demos. The problem is that they could never sell their engine for any decent game, as the market is essentially build your own engine or use Unreal(with a few rare instances of Source or id). Monolith ran into the same problem with Lithtech after FEAR played itself out.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Countdown
9. Re: Team Fortress 2 Countdown Jun 17, 2014, 11:20 bhcompy

Primalchrome wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 10:11:
Still a fun game after 6 years... Steam Workshop and FTP has done a LOT for the longevity of this game. You can joke about hats and the like, but if that's all you see, you haven't spent much time with it over the years.

The problem I have with it is that they've hurt the competitive part of the game, and as someone who has played TF since the MPlayer days, that's really what I wanted out of the game. The more absurd the game has gotten, the further it has gone from that. I'm glad that CSGO stuck with gun skins, and not custom weapons, but I'm worried for the future.

734 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo