Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 713 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > More Games to Support AMD's Mantle
30. Re: More Games to Support AMD's Mantle Jun 12, 2014, 15:51 bhcompy

UHD wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 11:06:
bhcompy wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 10:48:
TheEmissary wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 20:50:

Mantle is not supported on the consoles at all. The consoles have their own low level api that is proprietary to the console manufacturers.

Tom's Hardware article about Mantle

Did you read my linked article, which is newer, with quotes directly from AMD? AMD supports Mantle on console platforms.

It says they're ready to support Mantle on console platforms. Not the same thing.

It says "MS and Sony are welcome to utilize it whenever they want. We're standing by our phones." Which is to say AMD supports it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Workshop IP Issues
10. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Workshop IP Issues Jun 12, 2014, 15:50 bhcompy

Brumbek wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 11:50:
bhcompy wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 10:45:
It's a skin on a gun.. what the hell is there for copyright?
And all those paintings in museums are just pictures on the wall I suppose. Point: taking art and calling it your own is bad.

Yes, but if you look up the skin this ain't the Mona Lisa, it's some vertical slashes on a black gun. Maybe Zubaz owns the copyright?

25. Re: More Games to Support AMD's Mantle Jun 12, 2014, 10:48 bhcompy

TheEmissary wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 20:50:

Mantle is not supported on the consoles at all. The consoles have their own low level api that is proprietary to the console manufacturers.

Tom's Hardware article about Mantle

Did you read my linked article, which is newer, with quotes directly from AMD? AMD supports Mantle on console platforms.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Workshop IP Issues
1. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Workshop IP Issues Jun 12, 2014, 10:45 bhcompy

It's a skin on a gun.. what the hell is there for copyright?  

22. Re: More Games to Support AMD's Mantle Jun 11, 2014, 19:58 bhcompy

Quboid wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 17:18:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 14:57:
So for someone who doesn't usually follow AMD stuff ever and without googling, what the hell is this mantle anyways? Someone give me a quick breakdown.

There's hopefully more qualified people than me to say (hat's off to jdreyer, BTW) but basically it's an alternative to Direct 3D which improves performance. Specifically, it reduces the amount of CPU power that's needed by the graphics card, so developers can dedicate more to AI/physics/even more complex graphics/whatever. The next version of Direct 3D, in DirectX 12, will apparently have similar performance boosts, supposedly of up to about 30% (but as with drivers, real world improvements are somewhat less).

Again, I'm no expert but AFAIK, Mantle isn't tied to AMD hardware in the same way as PhysX or TXAA are to Nvidia gear. If Nvidia wanted to, they could add support to Geforce cards but unless the market forces their hand, I expect they'd be loath to embrace an AMD technology - unless they fancy pulling a Microsoft by embracing, extending and exterminating it.

It's worth noting that AMD provides the video hardware for both Xbox and Playstation, now, and that Mantle is supported across all 3 hardware platforms. This is the real benefit, as it allows for easier cross-platform support. It may not do much for AMD in the PC space as far as competing with nVidia, but it does make it easier for developers to work on all three major platforms, which is beneficial for everyone(particularly us PC gamers that get stuck with awful ports, or no ports).

9. Re: More Games to Support AMD's Mantle Jun 11, 2014, 13:28 bhcompy

Trevellian wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 11:19:
Is this where Nvidia gets to cry foul about their competitor getting to have an edge in certain games now like AMD did? Listening to those guys talk about AMD and Mantle for 5 minutes at the Hardline showing really kinda irked me after they just got done whining about Nvidia's extra Anti Aliasing features in Watch_Dogs. Hypocrites.

Don't get me wrong, I want competition between the two. Just don't whine about your competitor having an advantage in 1 game when you clearly have an advantage in others.

The problem with nV hasn't been their proprietary technology, it's been that in order to get it you need to exclude competitors from code review, which is a practice AMD doesn't participate in.

2. Re: More Games to Support AMD's Mantle Jun 11, 2014, 10:28 bhcompy

Okay, so I can understand Battlefield and Dragon Age. Those games can give GPUs a heavy workout.. but Plants vs Zombies?  

News Comments > Magic 2014 Duels of the Planeswalkers Free Weekend
3. Re: Magic 2014 Duels of the Planeswalkers Free Weekend Jun 5, 2014, 18:09 bhcompy

Ceribaen wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 18:04:
bhcompy wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 17:57:
Last hurray for Magic 2014. Magic 2015 will likely hit by midmonth if prior years are any indication

2014 was the first year I actually didn't buy of DoTP, have they made any actual improvements or still have the random bugs, and mostly just more like EA Sports games roster updates?

I did not play the previous years. There are a few bugs, but nothing huge. 2014 uses pre-built decks and about half of them were shit and half were okay and 2 or 3 outliers were really good. 2015 is moving away from pre-built decks. You build your own decks in 2015.

News Comments > Magic 2014 Duels of the Planeswalkers Free Weekend
1. Re: Magic 2014 Duels of the Planeswalkers Free Weekend Jun 5, 2014, 17:57 bhcompy

Last hurray for Magic 2014. Magic 2015 will likely hit by midmonth if prior years are any indication  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 "Netcode" Patch
24. Re: Battlefield 4 Jun 4, 2014, 11:53 bhcompy

theglaze wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 22:22:
Anyone familiar with comparisons of other FPS titles, say Titanfall and CS:GO?

See my previous post

News Comments > Battlefield 4 "Netcode" Patch
12. Re: Battlefield 4 Jun 3, 2014, 21:31 bhcompy

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 20:03:
I'm sorry... what? How is this optional, client-side fix supposed to help things?

Probably 3/4 of the players are going to be completely oblivious and NOT use it, for starters. But then if you do decide to use it, what exactly will it accomplish? Will you be transmitting your actions to the server and thus other players with less latency, so that they can more accurately keep track of you? Or are you pulling data from the server at a faster rate so that you can more accurately keep track of everyone else? You need to be doing both, for everybody, to actually fix gameplay issues. At least, I would think so.

Haven't they had broadband internet as a requirement for online action games for the past decade? Why are they designing "netcode" to accomodate people with less than 1 Mbit? They need to specify whether that's up or down, but either way, the point stands. At the very least, let it be a server-specific setting with filters in the browser, so you can avoid high latency environments where the 56kers or barebones DSL schmucks are hanging out.

Valve does the same thing for any Source engine based game, dude. By default the update rate(updates requested from cpu tick) and command rate(updates sent to server per cpu tick) are set to 66. On servers that change server side cvars, you can set your rates up to 125(the max commonly supported by high quality servers). These must be set manually and they are not indicated anywhere in the configuration. It sounds like DICE is actually doing a bit better by placing it in the settings menu somewhere.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 1, 2014, 19:36 bhcompy

ASeven wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 17:35:
Nice to see Distant Worlds in the list. Despite its hefty price, it's easily the best 4x space game ever made and the devs are making a mistake pricing this game so high.

Seems very Escape Velocityish

News Comments > DCS: F-86F Sabre Announced
34. Re: DCS: F-86F Sabre Announced Jun 1, 2014, 03:37 bhcompy

Task wrote on May 30, 2014, 17:56:
Ah man, no flyable Mig-15, my favorite aircraft of all time?

Chuck Yeager's Air Combat

News Comments > AMD Calls Out NVIDIA; Former NVIDIA Dev Calls BS
16. Re: AMD Calls Out NVIDIA; Former NVIDIA Dev Calls BS May 27, 2014, 14:03 bhcompy

yonder wrote on May 27, 2014, 10:56:

While AMD/ATI is far from blameless, most of the corporate shenanigans in the GPU wars have been done by nVidia.

nVidia makes great stuff. But their corporation is terrible.

nVidia follows the Creative model of suing their competitors with frivolous shit and then buying and burying their technology after they've crippled the company through their litigation. I don't care what ATi did with Valve 10 years ago or with Tomb Raider, killing your competition with bullshit courtroom antics is beyond the pale.

For reference, nVidia did to 3dfx what Creative did to Aureal

News Comments > World of Darkness Cancelled
8. Re: World of Darkness Cancelled Apr 14, 2014, 14:15 bhcompy

smackdaddy wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 13:12:
What little they spoke about this game always sounded too good to be true, no surprises here.
I would love to see an MMO that is open world that is challenging, unfortunately it looks like I am doomed to follow the hack job MMOs like Mortal Online and Darkfall or some kind of Korean grinder.

Or you could just play Eve

News Comments > World of Darkness Cancelled
1. Re: World of Darkness Cancelled Apr 14, 2014, 12:58 bhcompy

This is rather sad. The tech demo had the feel of a seedy modern world down really well, and CCP is always willing to put forth the effort to make things right in the end. They also recruited the developers that were screwed by 38 Studios/Curt Schilling and the woeful mismanagement of the Kingdoms of Amalur MMO that they were developing  

News Comments > Watch Dogs "Ultra Specs"
9. Re: Watch Dogs Apr 14, 2014, 10:48 bhcompy

InBlack wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 09:45:
Hmmm, why such steep PC requirements then???

Probably because they're taking it seriously rather than just making a token port.

Or, they're making a very very poor port that nukes resources.

You never know with Ubi

News Comments > List of Games Relying on GameSpy Services
13. Re: List of Games Relying on GameSpy Services Apr 8, 2014, 17:09 bhcompy

Why not open it up to the populace to replace the master servers just like Gamespy did when the Quake master servers went buh-bye?  

News Comments > Foolish Games, Volume 1
10. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 1 Apr 1, 2014, 17:09 bhcompy

nin wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 09:44:
Wow, looks like /. isn't participating this year? A welcome change...

They would have been hung by their users again for wasting resources on shit when they're already wasting resources on the horrific beta website they're pushing users to

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2014, 17:34 bhcompy

InBlack wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 10:40
uick question, why do you believe that Facebook is the most evil corporation in the world? How is it any less or more evil than Sony, or Microsoft for that matter?? [/quote:

Because Facebook has little business with a device of this nature unless the goal is to migrate it away from the serious gaming it was envisioned for. Facebook needs competition for Google Glass, and this gives them a Glass that's a different kind of Glass. Sony sees it for gaming, which is why they announced their own last week.

I predict this will drive Sony a ton of business they wouldn't have had

713 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo