Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 727 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > World of Tanks Patches
9. Re: World of Tanks Patches Aug 1, 2012, 15:42 bhcompy

Tavillion wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 15:32:
InBlack wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 13:45:
Really? Dont I look the fool now. Are they any good?

They're interesting to say the least. Encounter can be fun, but there are some balance issues on a couple of maps. Assault needs some serious work but is also a good idea.

Encounter is basically King of the Hill. One flag, both teams fight over it. Assault is a Storm the Castle type mode with one team defending, the other attacking. The issue is that a couple of Encounter maps favor one side (El Halluf having a fairly strong south spawn bias) and Assault almost always favors the defenders to the point where defense wins... rather frequently. I'm of the opinion that Assault either needs to be tweaked to make it easier for attackers in random matches, or it needs to be limited to Clan Wars because the simple fact is a team needs to be relatively coordinated to actually succeed in breaking the defenders, or the defenders have to be stupid and basically forget to defend. Most of the time, at least.

Overall I'd say they're good additions and are providing some welcome variety.

The worst part of Assault is that the matchmaker doesn't differentiate that much between sticking the defending team full of mediums and the assaulting team full of heavies. Kind of sucks when you're trying to hold a line against a ton of IS3s, E75s, and T95s while your team has a bunch of E50s, BatChats, and T54s holding the front line.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > World of Tanks Patches
7. Re: World of Tanks Patches Aug 1, 2012, 15:31 bhcompy

InBlack wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 13:45:
Really? Dont I look the fool now. Are they any good?

They're interesting. You cannot choose to play them. You queue up and it picks randomly. The modes are not bad, they force different styles of play, but sometimes people still just rambo regardless.

Personally, I just want CTF.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Jul 29, 2012, 20:07 bhcompy

Steam on Linux isn't a hedge against Windows 8. It's the next logical progression from converting their engine to OpenGL for Mac and PS3. Why not add other platforms that support OpenGL and promote cross OS play when you have that capability already?  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 16:04 bhcompy

For the record, age means nothing.

-God of War came out 5 years after the PS2, and God of War 2, which is considered in the top 5 games released for the PS2, came out 7 years after the console debuted.
-Metal Gear Solid came out 4 years after the release of the PSX
-Gran Turismo 2, probably the best console racer not named WipeOut XL ever, came out almost 5 years to the day after the release of the PSX
-Shadow of the Colossus came out 5 and half years after the release of the PS2
-Okami came out 6 years after the release of the PS2

3 of those are original titles. 2 are first sequels. 1 is a continuation of a story in a more or less completely new console genre that was otherwise unavailable due to technological limitations. All of them are among the pantheon of best console games(or even just best videogames) ever.

In short, fuck you Ubisoft. I hope you die for ruining Red Storm and Rainbow 6.

News Comments > LucasArts FPS Plans?
10. Re: LucasArts FPS Plans? Jul 10, 2012, 12:11 bhcompy

Unreal Engine.. so another console shooter  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 5, 2012, 14:51 bhcompy

1) Don't let it beat you to the market by a year
2) Don't price yourself above the market after you're late to the market

Games were never a problem for the PS3, that was a bullshit argument.

News Comments > World of Tanks Plans, Wargaming.net Rebranded
7. Re: World of Tanks Plans, Wargaming.net Rebranded Jul 3, 2012, 18:14 bhcompy

MadBoris wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 13:13:
If only all 3 wargaming theatres could merge into one game w/ lots of players, tanks, air, naval...Then that would be something...

It's too much to hope for me that they will lessen the aggressive grind and f2p model, or fix matchmaking to not always put you with overly high tiers, in order to make you feel weaker and 'want' to buy tanks.

I personally would never go tier 10's in that game, they can add T10's till the cows come home.
Most fun for me was tier 3-5.
Best earners were tier 5-6.
That was a few patches ago.

I really wished I went the German line, but I didn't know any better, the germans seem much better all around, quite a few more 'good' choice tanks.

The German tanks are middle of the road. They don't have the penetration or damage values of any of the other nations, they don't have the armor of the russians(though the Tiger P and the 3601 do fairly well for their tier), they are vastly larger than other tanks of the same tier(late 1930s through early 1940s tank design up against late 1940s through early 1960s tank design for other nations), and their mid-tier medium tanks and top tier heavies rely heavily on HE damage, which has been nerfed, unnerfed, nerfed, and unnerfed quite frequently.

The biggest benefit of the German tanks is their reliability(aren't overly susceptible to ammorack explosions or engine damage) and their relatively accurate guns for sniping, but they trade off on armor and round penetration. The 88, which was the king of WW2, is basically underwhelming.

Honestly, your best bet is the Russian lines, particularly for heavies. Great armor, great guns, and probably the best overall tank in the game(IS-4)

As far as fun, Tier 3-7 probably is the most fun. There are tier limited matches, but they're random, so you might be the top tank tier 7 in one match and the bottom tank as a tier 7 the next.

News Comments > Sony to Acquire Gaikai
14. Re: Sony to Acquire Gaikai Jul 2, 2012, 12:17 bhcompy

I could see SCE using this as a way to play their MMOs from any platform regardless of hardware specs. In most MMOs, particularly carebear MMOs, latency isn't that great of a problem, so this will just enable more people to use their products.  

News Comments > Total War: Rome II Announced
14. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 2, 2012, 12:09 bhcompy

RailWizard wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 11:37:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 11:18:
They said they finally solved the AI contradiction problem in Total War games... meaing the AI wants to be your best friend and also wants to murder you in your sleep. Well on more, it either hates you and it will make you feel hated, or it likes you, in which case it will not plot against you unless they have a strong incentive. If they do it right, the AI might very well for the first time feel "human"

But I am a bit stumped as to how they worded their features and PR.. does this mean we can only play as Rome because in Rome 1 we were not forced to play rome, and indeed the most fun was to be had with the non-roman factions, throwing heads at enemies and flaming pigs ftw!

Other than pathing issues, I don't know what the AI prob is/was. I remember murdering the fuck out of armies that were way bigger than mine. i.e. This was recent mind you.. Screenshot.

Originally, you had to beat the game with Rome IIRC. Which I never did, but I came close, yet later I noticed all of the factions opened up anyway. So yeah not sure wtf happened there.

In RTW, you played as a Roman family/faction, but in the Barbarian expansion you could play as one of the Barbarian nations.

Anyways, RTW is one of the best games ever, period, so hopefully this game lives up to it somehow.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
7. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 24, 2012, 00:43 bhcompy

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 15:39:
So a PlayStation fansite has an article about how the PS3 has the better games? Quelle surprise!

But seriously, they talk about how the current consoles are in their twilight years and yet go on about how the new PS3 exclusives look "stunning". There's nothing "stunning" about games with low resolution textures running at sub-720p resolutions. PC games run at resolutions 4x that for single monitors and 7x that in multi-monitor configs, as well as dramatically higher texture quality, rendering detail and polygon count (tessellation).

Meh, resolution isn' the only component of something that looks "stunning". God of War 2 looked stunning and came out for PS2 after the PS3 was already released

News Comments > Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise
56. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 23, 2012, 01:13 bhcompy

Sepharo wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 19:53:
RollinThundr wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 14:35:
Obama didn't need to bail GM out with tax payer money, they could and SHOULD have filed for bankruptcy and refinanced/restructured themselves. GM still owes the taxpayers millions, and guess what we'll never see it. The only entity that won out in that deal was the auto workers union, surprise surprise. Same thing with Crysler, the kicker there? Crysler is now owned by a European car maker.

You don't really know what you're talking about.

Global auto industry crisis 2008-2010
U.S. in 2008-2010 auto industry crisis

Bush put $17.4 billion into the bailout using executive powers to redirect TARP money after the Senate rejected the bill (a rare thank you to Mr. Bush!). Both Chrysler and GM filed for bankruptcy. Obama later put $21.6 billion into the bailout and fired GM's CEO. Chrysler has since "repaid its loans" years ahead of schedule, unfortunately GM owes much more still but it's still paying it off and has since become the #1 auto maker in the world again.

All that said, the numbers are all over the place and the bailout wasn't any one loan or event. It was over years and for various different reasons and funding sources... PolitiFact has more.

So yeah billions still to be paid off but I think saving a national industry and an entire metro region of about 5 million people was worth it especially considering what a huge success it was. Meanwhile Mitt "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt" Romney writes a fucking article in the top paper of his "home" state shitting on the people there and then after the successful bailout changes his name to Mitt "Iíll take a lot of credit" Romney. What a piece of shit.

Bottom line: A capitalistic system relies on ebbs and flows to remain healthy. What happened is not healthy for the system long term and instead prevents a true correction.

29. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 18:34 bhcompy

Cutter wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 18:07:

Obama is not a liberal, he's a libertarian. And it's not like the guy had a lot of choice. Regardless, I don't think anyone is happy with Obama at this point. However, the alternatives - so far at least - are worse.

Wat. If Obama was a libertarian the Patriot Act extension would never have signed, he wouldn't have signed the healthcare reform bill(nor would he have proposed it), and he wouldn't allow the NSA to snoop on innocent Americans.

18. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 15:23 bhcompy

Creston wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 13:42:
bhcompy wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 12:37:
Well, keep in mind he's a former professional athlete. He's used to seeing people hung out to dry by management all the time, livelihood and family be damned.

You are thinking of the NFL. That doesn't happen in MLB.

Creston

Minor-leaguers get paid beans and rarely make much of anything unless they make the 40man roster. Yes, MLB does have guaranteed contracts, so if you get paid you get paid, but very few people actually get paid, and the minimum salary doesn't cover you for when you retire since it's only a few years of normal salary(at the MLB level, at minor leagues you'll make more selling cars).

5. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 12:37 bhcompy

Creston wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 12:32:
"Yeah, I bombed on that one in an epic fashion."

So what are you actually DOING to try to help these people out, now that you've bombed in an epic fashion, Curt?

*crickets*

Such a trooper. Oh, your poor 30 million dollars (out of an estimated 150 million that he's worth) that are lost. Maybe you and your wife will go out to eat only six times this week instead of the usual seven? Such hardship.

Meanwhile, where is your help for people who are now stuck with two mortgages, who get the bill from the moving company, and whose credit rating is now being ruined?

*crickets*

Creston

Well, keep in mind he's a former professional athlete. He's used to seeing people hung out to dry by management all the time, livelihood and family be damned.

News Comments > World of Tanks Patched
15. Re: World of Tanks Patched Jun 21, 2012, 17:10 bhcompy

Lokust wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 12:02:
I definitely agree with that. The type 59 may have been stealth nerfed this patch, too. It seems to have lost some engine power.

I agree. Even with the remove speed governor and premium fuel, mine takes forever to accelerate, hanging around in the 40s on flat ground for a long time rather than quickly boosting to 55(or whatever it is). I have only played about a dozen games in my Type 59 since the patch, so I wasn't too concerned, but now that someone else noticed I'll have to look deeper.

14. Re: World of Tanks Patched Jun 21, 2012, 17:07 bhcompy

Tumbler wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 12:42:
I played a bit last night, it's fun, but not consistently. I still feel like i'm comically underpowered in the matches I'm in. Even in a tank destroyer most of my targets end up laughing at me.

I'm a TANK DESTOYER, and tanks laugh at me! It's possible i've been away long enough that many peopel are just above me and the only games available to join are the ones above me but then can't you at least give me some bonus's if I happen to do well? I remember one match went very well and I ended up with 6 kills or something crazy like that, I got decent xp but nothing crazy. Another match I end up surrounded by heavily armored tanks and somehow I manage to kill one, shot him I don't know how many times and I think OMG I got one! They'll give me tons of XP for killing someone so high above me!

Nope. Just a pitful few hundred xp. Oh you killed someone, here's some pennies.

It doesn't seem like they want the game balanced to be fun for all. Feels more like I"m just there to get blown up.

TDs are rough as they're always up-tiered, they're very expensive, and they're long grinds. For the German line there are a few sweetspots, namely the Hetzer and the JadgPanther. For the Americans, it seems to be the T25. For the Russians, well, WG loves the Russians so they're always in the sweetspot.

I found tier 5-7 to be fairly fun for the most part.. Sometimes you get bad matches, but in the normal tanks(not the scout lines, arty, or TD), you tend to matchup pretty decently outside of a few real bad tanks(3001H for instance). The Tiger P and 3601 and old KV(KV-2 now as the derp gun) are probably the most fun tanks in the middle tiers, imho.

But, yea, unless you pay for premium(and even then at tier8+), the grinds suck pretty damn bad. The best thing you can do is learn what modules you can skip so you can move on to the next tank faster if you hate the one you're in

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Trailer
36. Re: PlanetSide 2 Trailer Jun 21, 2012, 11:57 bhcompy

I'm sorry, "Pay to win" is when you can do things like buy superior weaponry that is only available with cash. Increasing your xp gain is not pay to win, it's called operating a free to play game and actually remaining viable and in business.  

9. Re: World of Tanks Patched Jun 21, 2012, 11:55 bhcompy

The Type 59 is a good tank, probably the best premium tank considering how bad the Lowe has been nerfed over time, but it's not some team dominating overpowering tank. Track it and it's dead. Shoot it in the side or in the rear of the turret and it will be ammo racked, engine damaged, or fuel tank damaged a massive amount of the time(enough so that you're spending equipment slots on wet ammo racks and co2 filled gas tanks if you actually want to survive). Yea, it can be hard to kill if you don't know where to shoot it on the front, but the tank isn't as good as other Tier 8 offerings(particularly weak in weaponry and accuracy), it just had better matchmaker weighting for a while.

As far as the update, arty is back to being its old self apparently. Does a ton damage, but, more importantly, kills crew and modules with nearly every hit(at higher tiers). This unnerfing makes the new BatChat 155 ridiculously overpowered given its 4 shot clip, turret, and awesome maneuverability. They need to separate arty HE from tank HE so they can lower the arty viability without killing tanks like the M4, Pz4, Hetzer, etc that rely completely on HE ammo to be competitive

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Trailer
20. Re: PlanetSide 2 Trailer Jun 20, 2012, 16:33 bhcompy

Feel kind of bad for Dust 514 with as good as this is looking, but I'm sure they're happy they're staying in the console ecosystem for now. Considering all the rumors of Sony buying out CCP because of Dust 514, this probably puts that to rest, because this game is obviously going to be successful.  

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale
11. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 19, 2012, 22:25 bhcompy

I'm conflicted. I like MechWarrior, but Hawken looks like the mech game to play.  

727 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo