Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 679 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dishonored PC Specs
9. Re: Dishonored PC Specs Aug 14, 2012, 15:50 bhcompy

wtf_man wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 15:24:
Creston wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 11:15:
Optimized for 64 bit and multi-core?! Am I dreaming?

Ayup, you are. No DX11.

Came to say this. Ridiculous that they require Vista+, optimize for 64bit and multicore, and then go the DX9 route.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Epic Forms Impossible Studios from Big Huge Ashes
2. Re: Epic Forms Impossible Studios from Big Huge Ashes Aug 9, 2012, 17:37 bhcompy

iOS games.. poor fucking bastards  

News Comments > Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles
21. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 14:10 bhcompy

Prez wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 14:06:
Looks like they are doing it opposite the way Stardock did it. For a time Stardock sold just as much software as they did games back before they shipped Galactic Civilzations.

I generally only use free software at home (my employer pays for all of my productivity software for work) so I'm not sure I'll be buying any, but it's a good idea for Steam I think. Though I wonder how many people are going to want to have to have Steam running just to use their software...

Indeed, Impulse sold plenty of regular applications, and I'm sure to some success, considering that in the early days it was basically all Stardock applications.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
32. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 7, 2012, 01:51 bhcompy

Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 22:37:
Just like Apple did with MacOS... wait a minute, that's not what happened at all!

Anyone that thinks Microsoft would do this is about as idiotic as they think Microsoft needs to be to do this. Do you think Adobe would stand for this? How about antivirus companies like Norton? Or maybe companies like SAP. Do you think they'd appreciate being told that their wares are only able to be sold via a Microsoft App Store with Microsoft taking a cut?

This is what Apple, Linux and ChromeOS fans dream of happening, and no one at Microsoft is dumb enough to make it a reality, despite the conspiracy theories people see.

This is the same Microsoft that publicly acknowledged that getting in to the tablet business would knowingly alienate them from OEMs, and that was after they announced the Surface tablet. MS is doing what they want. They're acting like Walmart. They feel they have enough pull to do whatever they want, and they're probably right in the consumer space.

Keep in mind that Apple didn't do with OSX what MS is doing with W8. iOS and OSX are completely separate platforms. MS is doing what Canonical is failing miserably at(and MS probably won't succeed either, but I digress).

19. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 6, 2012, 22:04 bhcompy

nin wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 20:41:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 20:38:
I don't think it will be October, cause Forza Horizon and Halo 4 would be launch titles for it, instead of 360 titles.

That was sarcasm. Other than Sega (with the Saturn), I can't think of a console launching with little to no notice.

The Saturn didn't launch with no notice. Sega burned all their bridges with Sega CD and 32x, so by the time the Saturn came out people said "Fuck you, I'm not going to pay for an undersupported piece of trash". It's sad because Saturn was pretty solid, but by then everyone had jumped ship to PSX because Sony didn't have a sullied reputation and they had the big games(Toshinden, Wipeout, Namco arcade games[Ridge Racer, Ace Combat, etc], Twisted Metal, etc).

17. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 6, 2012, 21:56 bhcompy

Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 21:49:
ASeven wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 21:27:
Further proof that Win8 is trying to be the Xbox Live for all platforms with all the locking and restrictions that come with it?

No. Why would it be proof of locking/restrictions?

Yes, I'm sure it's going to apply for some games, I mean, GFWL has locking and restrictions. But PC gaming has always been about options, right? Some publishers go for the locking and restrictions. Some do not. Some offer through one store. Some offer through many. Some offer only in DRM-free methods.

Why would you ever think that's changing? Because of a common OS? Phones are getting that OS, too, do you think the PC and the phone will have much in common?

Depends on how far they take it. Windows 8 for ARM (aka WinRT) is going Windows Store only for games and applications. Windows 8 x86 may have that in its future, depending on how it goes for ARM.

News Comments > Source 2 Engine Hint
29. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 6, 2012, 17:25 bhcompy

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 16:48:

I think it's beyond just the engine similarities. Design choices were made that accentuated this 'floaty' feeling. Take grenades for example, those seemed incredibly jank in HL2 and just flew around with this overly cheap anti-gravity feeling.

Which is actually no different than the way that the GL worked in Quake or TF way back in the day, or how player thrown nades worked in TF. It's not so much "similarity" as "this engine is based on that actual code and has evolved over time from there", which, if I recall, is the same way UE is developed.

News Comments > Source 2 Engine Hint
24. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 6, 2012, 14:24 bhcompy

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 12:02:
Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:57:
Frijoles wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:55:
RollinThundr wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:41:
Never could understand why anyone gave a shit about that engine.

Facial animations. Still spectacular after so many years.

Low poly but fantastic texture handling (leading to fantastic textures), great physics, great animations, and amazing eyes.

Yeah, the low poly worlds are starting to look bad, but that engine lasted a very long time with little up-keep due to the textures and animations.

It was a fairly spectacular engine for anyone that wanted to run well on a very wide range of PCs. That's common now, but wasn't back in 2004.

Fair enough point on facial animations, I dunno I always kinda found the physics to feel really floaty and gimicky but maybe that's just me.

Because it's based on Quake and Quake 2(Quake 2 was super floaty). Doesn't bother me at all. I disable bob anyways.

News Comments > Blood Revival Proposed
27. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 5, 2012, 00:55 bhcompy

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 00:09:
Yeah can I toss in another vote for Shogo? Damn if I didn't blow hours in MP on that.

Shogo was one of the last games I can think of that had grapple as a standard feature in MP

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Aug 4, 2012, 15:25 bhcompy

5600U laptop.. that's a pretty big laptop..  

News Comments > Blood Revival Proposed
5. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 4, 2012, 15:22 bhcompy

Only if it's on the Lithtech engine. Even then, fuck Blood, I want Shogo.  

News Comments > World of Tanks Patches
16. Re: World of Tanks Patches Aug 2, 2012, 10:53 bhcompy

InBlack wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 10:01:
People whining about how they face higher tiered tanks, instead of doing their fucking 'job' in the particular match is a big reason why the random battles suck as hard as they do...

Depends. When you're in a BDR against tier 7 and tier 8 tanks it doesn't matter what role you think you might have. You're fat, slow, and you can't penetrate shit. Yea, if you're in an A-20 you can scout, but that's not always the case. Really, this is a huge problem with most of the french heavy tree once you get past tier 2 and until you get to the AMX50(the ARL is great for medium tank companies, that's about it)

9. Re: World of Tanks Patches Aug 1, 2012, 15:42 bhcompy

Tavillion wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 15:32:
InBlack wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 13:45:
Really? Dont I look the fool now. Are they any good?

They're interesting to say the least. Encounter can be fun, but there are some balance issues on a couple of maps. Assault needs some serious work but is also a good idea.

Encounter is basically King of the Hill. One flag, both teams fight over it. Assault is a Storm the Castle type mode with one team defending, the other attacking. The issue is that a couple of Encounter maps favor one side (El Halluf having a fairly strong south spawn bias) and Assault almost always favors the defenders to the point where defense wins... rather frequently. I'm of the opinion that Assault either needs to be tweaked to make it easier for attackers in random matches, or it needs to be limited to Clan Wars because the simple fact is a team needs to be relatively coordinated to actually succeed in breaking the defenders, or the defenders have to be stupid and basically forget to defend. Most of the time, at least.

Overall I'd say they're good additions and are providing some welcome variety.

The worst part of Assault is that the matchmaker doesn't differentiate that much between sticking the defending team full of mediums and the assaulting team full of heavies. Kind of sucks when you're trying to hold a line against a ton of IS3s, E75s, and T95s while your team has a bunch of E50s, BatChats, and T54s holding the front line.

7. Re: World of Tanks Patches Aug 1, 2012, 15:31 bhcompy

InBlack wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 13:45:
Really? Dont I look the fool now. Are they any good?

They're interesting. You cannot choose to play them. You queue up and it picks randomly. The modes are not bad, they force different styles of play, but sometimes people still just rambo regardless.

Personally, I just want CTF.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Jul 29, 2012, 20:07 bhcompy

Steam on Linux isn't a hedge against Windows 8. It's the next logical progression from converting their engine to OpenGL for Mac and PS3. Why not add other platforms that support OpenGL and promote cross OS play when you have that capability already?  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 16:04 bhcompy

For the record, age means nothing.

-God of War came out 5 years after the PS2, and God of War 2, which is considered in the top 5 games released for the PS2, came out 7 years after the console debuted.
-Metal Gear Solid came out 4 years after the release of the PSX
-Gran Turismo 2, probably the best console racer not named WipeOut XL ever, came out almost 5 years to the day after the release of the PSX
-Shadow of the Colossus came out 5 and half years after the release of the PS2
-Okami came out 6 years after the release of the PS2

3 of those are original titles. 2 are first sequels. 1 is a continuation of a story in a more or less completely new console genre that was otherwise unavailable due to technological limitations. All of them are among the pantheon of best console games(or even just best videogames) ever.

In short, fuck you Ubisoft. I hope you die for ruining Red Storm and Rainbow 6.

News Comments > LucasArts FPS Plans?
10. Re: LucasArts FPS Plans? Jul 10, 2012, 12:11 bhcompy

Unreal Engine.. so another console shooter  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 5, 2012, 14:51 bhcompy

1) Don't let it beat you to the market by a year
2) Don't price yourself above the market after you're late to the market

Games were never a problem for the PS3, that was a bullshit argument.

News Comments > World of Tanks Plans, Wargaming.net Rebranded
7. Re: World of Tanks Plans, Wargaming.net Rebranded Jul 3, 2012, 18:14 bhcompy

MadBoris wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 13:13:
If only all 3 wargaming theatres could merge into one game w/ lots of players, tanks, air, naval...Then that would be something...

It's too much to hope for me that they will lessen the aggressive grind and f2p model, or fix matchmaking to not always put you with overly high tiers, in order to make you feel weaker and 'want' to buy tanks.

I personally would never go tier 10's in that game, they can add T10's till the cows come home.
Most fun for me was tier 3-5.
Best earners were tier 5-6.
That was a few patches ago.

I really wished I went the German line, but I didn't know any better, the germans seem much better all around, quite a few more 'good' choice tanks.

The German tanks are middle of the road. They don't have the penetration or damage values of any of the other nations, they don't have the armor of the russians(though the Tiger P and the 3601 do fairly well for their tier), they are vastly larger than other tanks of the same tier(late 1930s through early 1940s tank design up against late 1940s through early 1960s tank design for other nations), and their mid-tier medium tanks and top tier heavies rely heavily on HE damage, which has been nerfed, unnerfed, nerfed, and unnerfed quite frequently.

The biggest benefit of the German tanks is their reliability(aren't overly susceptible to ammorack explosions or engine damage) and their relatively accurate guns for sniping, but they trade off on armor and round penetration. The 88, which was the king of WW2, is basically underwhelming.

Honestly, your best bet is the Russian lines, particularly for heavies. Great armor, great guns, and probably the best overall tank in the game(IS-4)

As far as fun, Tier 3-7 probably is the most fun. There are tier limited matches, but they're random, so you might be the top tank tier 7 in one match and the bottom tank as a tier 7 the next.

News Comments > Sony to Acquire Gaikai
14. Re: Sony to Acquire Gaikai Jul 2, 2012, 12:17 bhcompy

I could see SCE using this as a way to play their MMOs from any platform regardless of hardware specs. In most MMOs, particularly carebear MMOs, latency isn't that great of a problem, so this will just enable more people to use their products.  

679 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo