Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 709 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2013, 16:07 bhcompy

Creston wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 11:06:
Quboid wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 11:02:
I've found point A to be a game breaker. At 1000 sims, I have 40% workers. Great! At 10,000 sims, I have 25% workers. Hmm. At 50,000 sims, I have 12% workers,

Sounds like you made Tulsa! Everyone who lives here apparently does nothing else except drive around town all day...

Creston

Pick me up a bowl of chili from Coneys please

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 10:04 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 09:48:
I wish the critics were taking less EA ad money and the users would ignore the DRM for 20 seconds and comment on the actual game quality. It's difficult for the average user to find a reasonable in between these days.

Ars Technica has a moderately scathing review. Cities are too small, lack of save/restore limits gameplay, traffic simulation sucks as always, bugs galore, upgrading roads destroys surrounding buildings, etc.

News Comments > Jason West Retires?
20. Re: Jason West Retires? Mar 4, 2013, 17:57 bhcompy

spindoctor wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 12:27:

West has apparently been gone for months now. How that remained a secret till today is mystifying.

Probably the same way stuff at Valve stays secret

News Comments > Failed Malazan Game Pitch
1. Re: Failed Malazan Game Pitch Mar 3, 2013, 15:39 bhcompy

First person shooter doesn't fit the story. Instead, something more like Commandos or something would work or an RTS/RPG or something obviously  

News Comments > Wrath of Heroes Closing
10. Re: Wrath of Heroes Closing Feb 28, 2013, 20:58 bhcompy

Cutter wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 09:21:
It's better for us if more games with this model fail. No one asked for it to begin with. Not everything has to be $60 or freemium only. There's plenty of room in between. Steam sales are proof that tons of games can sell really well at lower price points. Which is what most people want for most games. Had they made this a $20 title instead of trying to nickel and dime everyone to death they probably wouldn't have lost money on it. Just sell us a finished, complete game.

The difference is that pretty much all F2P games that I know of are hosted server dependent(either the character or the entire game) because they offer persistence and a semblance of cheat protection. DayZ is cheap and has persistence across servers without that hosted server component and it is very easily hacked because there is no central repository to store and protect the data, like TF2. Upfront fees don't pay the bills to host the servers long term, which is why Valve created Steam and added transactional content to TF2

News Comments > Homeworld and Remaining THQ IPs for Sale
16. Re: Homeworld and Remaining THQ IPs for Sale Feb 27, 2013, 11:07 bhcompy

Zadig wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 10:34:
I really enjoyed Homeworld 2 and would've liked to see more games in the series, but the RTS genre died and doesn't appear to be coming back.

It makes me nauseous to realize that a portion of the money wasted making terrible WoWclones (TOR!) could've resurrected many old series & genres. Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate, Elite, city building games etc. Hopefully kickstarter/greenlight will continue to take the money and terrible decision making away from the mouth-breathers (EA/Bioware, etc).

Dead? No. Just more niche. Sins of Solar Empire did wonderfully well. Total War games still do well. And MOBAs are doing very well. Can't really do a Homeworld MOBA, but you can do a Homeworld 4x or TW/Civ style game if you wanted to.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 11:00 bhcompy

Cutter wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 09:29:
His answer wasn't very direct, or not entirely complete I'd say. I could see them changing their mind at some point. So unless it's stipulated in writing I wouldn't hold my breath. And at the very least they never said there wouldn't be a charge for used games - which there already is for multiplayer. I'm sure the other shoe has yet to drop on this issue.

Sony doesn't charge a thing for multiplayer used games. Publishers like EA do.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 13:57 bhcompy

All things considered, the PS3 debuted as the superior piece of hardware of the generation and still is the superior piece of hardware of the generation. Built in Bluray, WiFi, Bluetooth, rechargeable controllers, HDMI, video/audio storage/streaming capabilities, Netflix, Sony's video/game download service, etc. Many of these things were cost add-ons or appeared in later iterations of the products from other vendors. While the PS3 was ridiculously expensive, it was also very much worth the price of admission considering what you got for your money compared to the other consoles.

So, basically, I don't see unfulfilled promises as having any real effect on the success of the device. All it shows is that executives are just like politicians.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
9. Re: Saturday Consolidation Feb 16, 2013, 17:55 bhcompy

The PS3 was also recently named one of the best Blu-ray players by CNET, another plus for the system.

Yea, sorry, bro, but CNET has all the credibility of Fox News and MSNBC these days.

News Comments > Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games
38. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 15, 2013, 10:53 bhcompy

Warskull wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 19:29:
Beelzebud wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 19:01:
Is World of Tanks any good, or is it pay2win?

It used to be extremely pay to win, the best ammo was paid ammo. I heard it is slightly less pay to win now. However, if you want a tank game, they are it.

It can be pay to win, but in normal games people rarely use gold
(paid) ammo.

News Comments > Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games
6. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 12:27 bhcompy

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 12:15:
Wargaming has done what? League of Legends and World of tanks? Where are they getting all these resources to buy studios left and right? Considering they just acquired Day 1 Studios as well. Is League really that successful?

Wargaming is responsible for World of Tanks, but not League of Legends.

That said, it looks like they may be looking at a MOBA or a Guild Wars type game with these acquisitions.

As far as resources, well done free to play games are cash cows right now, apparently. LoL is the most played game worldwide and World of Tanks does fairly well. The key to both is their international appeal. LoL is huge in southeast/east Asia and WoT is huge in Europe/Russia.

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 5, 2013, 15:29 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 15:22:
Yeah Vagrant Story was pretty solid and just needed more polish. I'd rather they put some resources into their offshoot works

On top of Vagrant Story, give me Einhander, Brave Fencer Musashi, and Bushido Blade, please.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 5, 2013, 14:38 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 09:21:
Square Enix struggling to make money from its console games.

Chrono Trigger, get on it.

Vagrant Story, get on it.

News Comments > THQ Postmortem
25. Re: THQ Postmortem Feb 1, 2013, 12:20 bhcompy

Beamer wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 12:01:
Creston wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 11:31:
Publishers add nothing to the gaming industry.

Creston

Except for, you know, the capital required to make a game like GTA, Saints Row, etc.

Depends. These days, many formerly independent dev houses are now second party/subsidiary developers for publishers(such as the aforementioned Volition and DMA[now Rockstar North]). While they benefit from the capital, there is a long history of successful independent developers that self-financed or otherwise funded through publishing deals and such while still retaining their independence(Valve under Sierra is an obvious example).

News Comments > THQ Postmortem
15. Re: THQ Postmortem Feb 1, 2013, 00:35 bhcompy

bad, late, or otherwise inferior titles like Homefront,

Homefront wasn't bad or inferior. Maybe a little late, but otherwise a pretty good game. Problem is that every publisher wants home runs, not good games. If it ain't selling like Call of Duty, might as well not make it I guess

News Comments > Batman and Arkham Domains
26. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 22:50 bhcompy

ViRGE wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 20:42:
bhcompy wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 18:32:
Uh, spoiler, but didn't Joker die? It can't be a DC animated universe/Diniverse Batman property without the only arch-villain that matters.
The Arkham games were never really part of the DCAU, even if they did reuse the VAs. Certain aspects of the game just don't align, as it was never meant to.

I understand from an official continuity perspective(simply because Joker dying just doesn't fit any canon), but if you pull in all the principle VAs you're basically tying it to that, and Dini is involved as well, which just adds to it.

I guess it's better to say that if Kevin Conroy is there, so must his foil

News Comments > Batman and Arkham Domains
23. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 18:32 bhcompy

Uh, spoiler, but didn't Joker die? It can't be a DC animated universe/Diniverse Batman property without the only arch-villain that matters.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2013, 14:27 bhcompy

RIP Huell Howser, too.  

News Comments > Deus Ex Design Documents
21. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 7, 2013, 15:25 bhcompy

Jerykk wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 01:37:
Also, the fixation on story is never a good thing. Conviction did that and we ended up with a much more linear and scripted game than before. Gameplay should dictate story, not vice versa.

It's a Clancy game. They've been awful since Red Storm was bought out.

News Comments > EA Server Shutdowns
28. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 31, 2012, 16:58 bhcompy

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 13:32:
bhcompy wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 12:58:
Maybe it's just you. I still pull out Sim City 2000 every once in a while to have some fun, or because I want to show my son a game that's better than Minecraft.

And, of course, the problem isn't multiplayer, the problem is that you have to play on their servers for singleplayer.

That is good, I'm not against the people that really would do this in any way at all. But I also think it's fair to say the majority of buyers rarely go back to something old and if they do it's a couple games. So if Sim City is that for you, then the best news is and as I have said, they have been upfront with where they are going with the game to us. If always online, multiplayer being a bad thing, server running for 10, 20, 50 years is very important for you, then you do have a choice to make.

I will stand by that many of those things are small %'s of players, most likely even wee percentages. The always online will affect everyone but I suggest that the small amount of ISP/Server downtime, one can be stable in their own feelings to deal with that and find something else to do, other than rage. As all the biggest games are relying on online working most of the time. COD MP, WoW... as I said the biggest games.

Blue's commentators in very generalist terms come off several times as paranoid, limited in scope (very single player centric base I'm finding) and phobic. That said, there is still good stuff in those comments and there are still good opinions outside of those type responses. Meaning, I still like to chat, but there are some really fearful walls that shot up that are a little over the top, imo. "Slippery Slope" mentalities if you will.

It's not really a slippery slope argument because the slope has already been slid down. Take their sun-setting of Simpsons Tapped Out for older iPhones. That is effectively a single player free to play game with a pay component, but it's all hosted by EA. They remove the server, the single player game that you may have put money in to is no longer accessible for play. You're not paying for software, you're paying for a temporary license to access the software. SC5 will be a full price game, but you aren't getting the same level of service that you did for the same standard market price as earlier offerings, instead you're getting a temporary license.

Do you have any doubt that they will sunset the SC5 servers when the user threshold drops too low to effectively monetize the base through downloadable content?

With Steam, we have a promise from Valve that if Steam ever sunsets you still own your game and Steam will effectively release it to you while disabling its own security. There is no such promise from EA regarding games like SC5 that are completely remotely hosted(and I have no idea if there is such a promise for Origin).

As the industry has consolidated in to a handful of publicly owned companies, the industry has regressed in buyer's rights. This is factual. There is no reason to believe that those "rights" won't continue to be eroded, particularly as companies like Sony buy companies like Gaikai. Realistically, all software has been moving in this direction for years, not just videogames. It's cheaper(less money spent on publicly available tools, like server tools, map tools, etc) and it's a monetization machine(EA charges for a wide variety of things because of this, such as a fee for purchasing a used game and wanting to play it online). In the public company world, those are the only two things that matter.

709 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo