Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 808 (Graduate)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 20, 2015, 13:11 bhcompy

Axis wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 10:35:
I've not found any reason to choose anything other than Firefox with noscript for the last 10 years or so.

And speed? That's pretty funny... apparently Microsoft is still developing for 1990s.

I use Firefox because it has the best noscript implementation, but let's not pretend they ever fixed their memory leak issues or that its rendering engine could be significantly improve. Speed matters. My corporate laptop is encrypted and 5 years old, loaded to the brim with corporate bullshiat. An efficient browser is a good thing to have, unfortunately with no extensions it's useless.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 14, 2015, 22:51 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 15:01:
bhcompy wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 14:29:
I already use NoScript for that. I shouldn't have to enable it on sites I've already whitelisted. Flash serves its purpose and I shouldn't be put out to use websites that utilize it. This is similar to the opt-in Java bullshit that Firefox and Chrome put in. I trust the websites I go to and don't want to enable Java every time I want to use it.

Ok but that's an optional addon, is it fair for them to assume everyone is using that or to make a decision based on their default installation? I don't recall bypassing this being much of a problem in the past, clicking enable and remember wasn't too much work for me when I couldn't update right that second. I'm not sure how you can really trust a website considering the majority run ads from networks they don't control but I digress. Most people who use browsers don't take those kinds of precautions and good luck educating them. Sometimes these things are done with a larger context in mind.

The block notification has an update option if there is one available anyway, the goal is to make sure people aren't running plugins with 0 days which seems fine to me.

Flash and Java are also optional addons

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 14, 2015, 14:29 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 13:55:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 10:43:
nin wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 09:16:
Mozilla's Firefox now blocks Flash by default.

And nothing of value was lost...

I personally rather it not. If I live in fear from a vulnerability, then I'd live in constant fear.

"The news comes after a seemingly never-ending string of security concerns about the once popular software"

The f'in O/S is a seemingly never-ending string of security concerns.

So manually enable it if you want to use it. Frankly it's a huge problem that needed to be addressed, I'm glad they and others are now forcing this on users and developers so we can move past the shitty Flash era.

I already use NoScript for that. I shouldn't have to enable it on sites I've already whitelisted. Flash serves its purpose and I shouldn't be put out to use websites that utilize it. This is similar to the opt-in Java bullshit that Firefox and Chrome put in. I trust the websites I go to and don't want to enable Java every time I want to use it.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 14, 2015, 14:24 bhcompy

Lit_Reflex wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 11:59:
I don't think people appreciate the fact that Adderall is barely any different than methamphetamine. It is actually 4 different amphetamines mixed together and while it is not as powerful as meth is is a bit more euphoric.

I remember before the psychosis I got into the street stuff and let me tell you that there is a VERY good reason people do this. I always was good at Counterstrike but on that certain stimulant I was going 10 kills and 0 deaths before an admin banned me from the server for my "hacks".

It enhances your motor reflexes, your reaction time, even your intelligence. It also can lead to psychosis in the unlucky minority of users who use it (sorry propaganda eaters but I know about a dozen people who do not have psychiatric issues).

The only way to know if it's safe (and I don't condone it so ease up on the ban hammer... we all know you like to ban people for dumb things like a little trash talking about people who like spending $500 for 30 frames per second in Battlefield 4 at 1080P when they could have bought a $300 GTX 970 and been rocking 60+ frames per second in 2800 pixel resolution) is to find out the hard way whether it's safe so DON'T DO IT!

It's the same reason the baseball players used to pop greenies(amphetamines). Soldiers have used amphetamines too(most famously Germans in WW2, who called it tank chocolate).

News Comments > New AMD Catalyst Drivers
15. Re: New AMD Catalyst Drivers Jul 9, 2015, 10:02 bhcompy

Lord Tea wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 09:50:
harlock wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 22:25:
Saboth wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 19:49:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 19:22:
Wonder if we'll see Fury X improvements...

I'm still scratching my head at 4GB of vram on a $650 card, when games are hitting 4+ last year and this year already, and the card was touted as some kind of 4k monster.

thats because the memory bandwidth is 4096 bit

the bandwidth on the 970 is 256 bit

in other words - IT GO FASTER

On the 970 it's actually 224+32 bit. Thanks to the awesome unique split bus feature on this card. The Nividia CEO himself explains it right here: http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/02/24/gtx-970/

It's so uber-awesome that no other Nvidia card has it!

Sounds like the Jaguar. 32bit+32bit=64bits!

No, it doesn't work that way, but thanks for trying

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 8, 2015, 22:43 bhcompy

Is it still TC Carson voicing Kratos? Sounds a little off  

News Comments > New AMD Catalyst Drivers
8. Re: New AMD Catalyst Drivers Jul 8, 2015, 22:40 bhcompy

Krowen wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 22:18:
WaltC wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 21:37:
Yep, it's a no-brainer...You're going to drop $650 on yesterday's tech, or tomorrow's? HBM is the future, and the potential of the Fury has yet to be tapped, imo. First really exciting tech advance in discrete 3d cards since R300 back in 2002.

It might be exciting but its a non-starter for performance right now. Nvidia is already pressing ahead to HBM2 for cards early next year, neatly skipping all of the new tech teething issues while still retaining the performance crown.

I've owned many AMD cards over the years but they're just something to keep Nvidia honest at this point.

Honest at what? nVidia's drivers are more bloated and arguably worse. Let's not pretend that nV won't have growing pains with completely new technology that's not just an incremental DDR upgrade

News Comments > AMD Ceasing Mantle Optimizations
23. Re: AMD Ceasing Mantle Optimizations Jul 7, 2015, 00:29 bhcompy

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 22:09:
Scheherazade wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 21:21:
wtf_man wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 20:30:
Freesync is next.

Variable refresh functionality is in the vesa spec.

AMD's trademark for their support for that functionality is called "freesync" - but it's not actually an AMD specific tech.

If nvidia wanted to fully support all the vesa options, they would have a freesync-like feature too. They simply choose to not support it, and instead make a proprietary solution.

-scheherazade

I think nVidias implementation is well beyond what AMD is offering with freesync. The best example is how it performs when frames go under a pre-defined "sweet spot", with freesync basically not doing anything at all and the resulting image looking the same (tearing) as it would *without* freesync. If you have a rig that can reliably push 40+ FPS in any game with not a single drop below that, then you have nothing to worry about, but most of us are not so fortunate. I'll pay the bit extra for a decent implementation of adaptive refresh, and not having to constantly worry about stepping into some "red zone" under 40fps where my monitor starts acting differently.

Hopefully newer revisions of this standard are actually decent.

what is adaptive refresh and why should i give a shit?

News Comments > Tale of Tales Closing
14. Re: Tale of Tales Closing Jun 21, 2015, 18:46 bhcompy

They make it sound like they were making a game made by beancounters, kind of like your basic Chevrolet sedan model. Hit all the checkboxes except the exciting one.  

News Comments > Anarchy Online Testing New Engine
3. Re: Anarchy Online Testing New Engine Jun 20, 2015, 13:41 bhcompy

AO had a great engine back in the day. Superior to EQ, AC, DAoC, and others. The dynamic weather was the best I've seen in an MMO yet. The game itself was also very fun, instances were well organized, classes were interesting, but PvP was very exclusive. If you weren't in the club you were at a serious disadvantage.  

News Comments > Indie Developers on Steam Refunds
36. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 14:20 bhcompy

jdreyer wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 13:42:

Well, some of the more memorable games I've played have been short narrative experiences with mystery elements thus no replayability once you've solved it. It would be a shame if such games went by the wayside due to such a policy. I suppose fans of such games wouldn't really be the type to abuse the policy though.

Myst managed to be wildly successful with that same premise. A good game is a good game and people will pay for it if it is reasonably priced.

24. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 12:03 bhcompy

LurkerLito wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 10:41:
I like the idea of having refunds as a consumer but at the same time I just can't see how this is not going to be abused.

Games like Audio Surf, geometry wars, Beat Hazard, etc... are the indie type games that will get decimated by this policy. They are the type of impulse buy games that people will eventually think, "great game but I'll return it and wait for it to be $2.50" after an hour of playing.

The developers will then start building unnecessary 2 hour mandatory "tutorials", with long boring no bypass non interactive in game cut scenes to combat it.

IMHO the best way to combat it is to turn the refund to a penalty based approach. For each minute of play time you deduct 1% the game price from the refund, and at the end of 100 minutes you can't get one.

You people act as if this is going to be something that people are just going to do over and over again. Valve has already stated that abusers will be addressed, and I imagine if it becomes a widespread problem everyone will have a certain number of refunds per year available to them.

If games are good, they will make money.

21. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 11:47 bhcompy

Quboid wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 09:55:

Perhaps the refund window should scale with price so maybe you get 1 hour per $10: 6 hours for a AAA $60 game but only 1 hour for a $8.99 indie title.

The single player campaigns on a lot of AAA games are only 6-10 hours long already

News Comments > Division 9 Footage
4. Re: Division 9 Footage Jun 3, 2015, 19:02 bhcompy

harlock wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 19:01:
it looks so crappy - wonder if thats how old it is or if its just the temp assets

pretty interesting tho... but yeh, its just SWAT with zombies

Temp assets.

News Comments > Steam Expands Refund Policy
24. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 17:03 bhcompy

ViRGE wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 15:57:
bhcompy wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 14:53:
LittleMe wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 14:51:
Nice! Two hours is fine for some games, not for others. I suspect if we disconnect from the Internet and play and those hours won't be counted.

You have to reconnect to the internet to do the refund and those hours are counted by the overlay.
Piece of cake. Just image the system with Acronis and restore it once you're done playing.

What will get you in the end is requesting so many refunds, since Valve has to process those. Otherwise for game time abuse, Valve doesn't have a perfect way to tell how long you've been playing a game.

And I'm sure abusers will be flagged and not refunded.

News Comments > Steam Expands Refund Policy
5. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 14:53 bhcompy

LittleMe wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 14:51:
Nice! Two hours is fine for some games, not for others. I suspect if we disconnect from the Internet and play and those hours won't be counted.

You have to reconnect to the internet to do the refund and those hours are counted by the overlay.

News Comments > New Need for Speed Requires Internet Connection
44. Re: New Need for Speed Requires Internet Connection May 29, 2015, 17:10 bhcompy

ForgedReality wrote on May 29, 2015, 16:51:
Fletch wrote on May 29, 2015, 15:13:
Not interested. Online required DRM is a deal-breaker. Then again... Witcher3 taught me that developers who support DRM-free releases don't necessarily give a shit about PC gamers, and are just fine releasing buggy console crapola as a PC game. CDPR, you don't get any more of my money, either.

Buggy? I think I've experienced one tiny insignificant bug where a key didn't spawn in a loot drop to let a guy out of a cage when I killed his captors. I googled it and I'm not the only one apparently. But after 50 some hours, that's all. What have you experienced? Have you noticed they've been patching the hell out of it too? The PC version is up to 1.04, and the consoles still haven't even gotten 1.03. And there are 16 free DLC's (four of which are already released) and two huge expansions planned. Doesn't give a shit about PC gamers, indeed...

He's just someone that can't be pleased. Mods, little DRM, plenty of graphical settings.. but one bug and holy shit better call the goddamned National Guard

News Comments > New Need for Speed Requires Internet Connection
15. Re: New Need for Speed Requires Internet Connection May 29, 2015, 11:20 bhcompy

The only NFS games that were any good were Hot Pursuit games. The rest of them... might as well be Ridge Racer.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Price Discussed
18. Re: Oculus Rift Price Discussed May 28, 2015, 11:38 bhcompy

InBlack wrote on May 28, 2015, 09:57:
Wow, I thought Oculus was a tech company. This Bendan dude sounds more like a politician than an engineer. How bout a straight answer cretin!!??

Err, are they not owned by Facebook now? Facebook is a marketing company.

5. Re: Morning Metaverse May 26, 2015, 17:02 bhcompy

Cutter wrote on May 26, 2015, 10:17:
So why would Charter be allowed if Comcast wasn't? All those corps need to be broken down, not bulked up.

Charter isn't that big. Usually, they don't like mergers if the top two merge or two merge that make the #1 even more #1, and I don't think that is the case here. This is like TMobile and Sprint combining. Still smaller than Verizon.

808 Comments. 41 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo