Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 788 (Graduate)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy
55. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 20, 2015, 11:21 bhcompy

Slick wrote on May 20, 2015, 03:28:
NewMaxx wrote on May 19, 2015, 20:37:
bhcompy wrote on May 19, 2015, 19:16:
And they have a choice? This was the point of buying PhysX. No more discrete PHysX cards, now everything is run through nV GPUs only or done in emulation. The only other player is Havok, and Havok doesn't have dedicated hardware tied to it, nor does it have the resources to provide the level of "support" that nV does.

It's easy to blame the developers when anti-competitive practices make it really easy for the developers to choose PhysX over Havok. Like I said, this is exactly what Creative did to Aureal, and it completely destroyed the discrete PC audio market(which, apparently, is a lesson most of you kids weren't around to learn).

You are completely correct about Creative. I've stated my views on them before but they really did rape the market and it is a fair comparison you make. Audio, after a certain point reached a long time ago, didn't really involve much innovation. Creative simply cornered the market with anti-competitive behavior and found a way to get way more money out of it than is deserves. I've long modified drivers for other cards, including on-board audio, that makes a $5 chip functionally identical to their entry-level $50 cards, cards that really rely on software processing anyway. It's a joke.

I say the comparison is fair because I also programmed with PhysX before NVIDIA purchased them and it was always a scam. You know how it's trendy for people to make Web 2.0+ companies with the hope of selling them off for far above their value to Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, etc? That was the entire business plan for PhysX, I kid you not. They just tried to grab some patents and make some bullshit hardware so they'd get bought out, and it was a good match for NVIDIA because the discrete GPU market is a 2-horse show which is perfect for such antics. It's a continuation of what they did with 3dfx.

the audio stack has been %100 handled by the OS since... vista? maybe XP SP3 even? microsoft killed the discrete audio card market, as zero processing happens on audiocards since that move.

The market was long dead before Vista.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 19:16 bhcompy

CJ_Parker wrote on May 19, 2015, 18:46:
No matter how you slice or dice it, it is still the fookin' GAME DEVELOPER'S incompetence at fault for either poor implementation or a poor choice of their physics engine (or both).
To blame nVidia for sabotaging AMD systems by secretly smuggling PhysX onto AMD systems via setup routines that have not even been written by nVidia in the first place is a little... no, VERY dumb.

And they have a choice? This was the point of buying PhysX. No more discrete PHysX cards, now everything is run through nV GPUs only or done in emulation. The only other player is Havok, and Havok doesn't have dedicated hardware tied to it, nor does it have the resources to provide the level of "support" that nV does.

It's easy to blame the developers when anti-competitive practices make it really easy for the developers to choose PhysX over Havok. Like I said, this is exactly what Creative did to Aureal, and it completely destroyed the discrete PC audio market(which, apparently, is a lesson most of you kids weren't around to learn).

44. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 18:34 bhcompy

CJ_Parker wrote on May 19, 2015, 18:04:
Icewind wrote on May 19, 2015, 17:54:
whenever a game adds an install of Physx during its launching routine
I have always believed that nvidia does this knowing it screws up some AMD systems.

So let me get this straight... you effectively believe that nVidia are the ones writing the setup routines for many games since they apparently have the magical sabotaging power to smuggle PhysX on AMD users' systems?

BWWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA aaaaaahhhhh *wipes tears of laughter from cheeks* oh man that was a good one.

Honestly, bro, are you retarded?

More like nV bought PhysX and closed it up, and then provides awful software to emulate what nV cards provide in hardware(which they don't license to competitors). Similar to what Creative has done since EAX came out 15-20 years ago and ruined PC audio.

35. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 16:24 bhcompy

The Half Elf wrote on May 19, 2015, 09:18:
But anyone who has been around 10+ years in PC Gaming knows that while AMD has good hardware, they are NOTORIOUS for horrible drivers. Every time I have upgraded my GPU since the good old VOODOO days, this has played a factor into my purchase of NVIDIA cards, and why I will NOT purchase a AMD card.

Yea, back when the Radeon 8500 released. Today, the driver issues are on nV with their over-bloated drivers.

This is not a driver issue. It's an anti-competitive practice, just like what Creative did to Aureal.

News Comments > DOOM Reveal at E3
31. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 18, 2015, 16:51 bhcompy

Darks wrote on May 18, 2015, 16:15:
bhcompy wrote on May 18, 2015, 13:50:
I see they haven't graduated from the Doom 3 engine that makes everything look like clay.

I think you would be very wrong about the engine. this is their newer engine, Rage 4. Not the older one Doom 3 was created on.

The point wooshed over your head

News Comments > DOOM Reveal at E3
2. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 18, 2015, 13:50 bhcompy

I see they haven't graduated from the Doom 3 engine that makes everything look like clay.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 6, 2015, 22:54 bhcompy

So a new socket next year. Guess I'll hold off on that upgrade  

News Comments > Starfighter Inc. Kickstarter
19. Re: Starfighter Inc. Kickstarter May 6, 2015, 03:17 bhcompy

Rigs wrote on May 6, 2015, 02:23:

Tachyon: The Fringe

Tachyon was great and Bruce made it better. Also had really fun multiplayer(oohhhh, multiplayer, piss off all those weirdo singleplayer Bluesnewsers on their toasters and 56k modems).

News Comments > Steam Game Bans
41. Re: Steam Game Bans Apr 30, 2015, 14:37 bhcompy

Task wrote on Apr 30, 2015, 08:56:
I remember once upon a time being able to kick/ban people from a hosted dedicated server; was much easier. The cheater might move to another server, but they wouldn't be on mine.

rcon addip 0 x.x.x.x
writeip

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Clue?
26. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Clue? Apr 30, 2015, 14:05 bhcompy

jomisab wrote on Apr 30, 2015, 14:01:
bhcompy wrote on Apr 30, 2015, 13:27:
EricFate wrote on Apr 30, 2015, 13:23:
Who would be the target audience for this? I appreciate that they want to keep the IP alive, but the game was absolute garbage on every level. No amount of hype could possibly get them the kind of return necessary to cover the development cost of a sequel.

Eh, they don't need to rework an engine, which is a huge part of the work. The game was good, it was a moderate success, and it has room to improve. I don't see the problem. Consider Assassins Creed received the same type of reception and where it's gone since then.

And yet look at AC:Unity, which still runs like garbage compared to something like GTA V. The best engine Ubi has is Dunia. We'll see how the Snowdrop engine turns out...hopefully it won't turn into Teardrop.

Meh, I don't play platformers on PC, so it doesn't really bother me

21. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Clue? Apr 30, 2015, 13:27 bhcompy

EricFate wrote on Apr 30, 2015, 13:23:
Who would be the target audience for this? I appreciate that they want to keep the IP alive, but the game was absolute garbage on every level. No amount of hype could possibly get them the kind of return necessary to cover the development cost of a sequel.

Eh, they don't need to rework an engine, which is a huge part of the work. The game was good, it was a moderate success, and it has room to improve. I don't see the problem. Consider Assassins Creed received the same type of reception and where it's gone since then.

14. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Clue? Apr 30, 2015, 11:41 bhcompy

ItBurn wrote on Apr 30, 2015, 10:54:
Cutter wrote on Apr 30, 2015, 10:45:
I can't imagine anyone would want this. The first game was fucking horrible all around. It's why it's selling for $3 on all the key websites.

You're completely mad. Awesome game overall.

Agreed. I liked the game. There is room for improvement, but what game doesn't have room for improvement?

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
42. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 17:06 bhcompy

jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 13:53:
I'm of two minds here, honestly. On the one hand, this could result in better mods. Better talent might jump into modding if they got paid, like this guy. On the other, it could fracture the mod community (free vs. paid) and tarnish the mod "brand" if people charge for crappy mods.

Good modders end up getting paid. The people behind Team Fortress, CounterStrike, Urban Terror, Action Quake 2, etc were hired and/or acquired by development firms.

News Comments > More on Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
11. Re: More on Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Apr 10, 2015, 13:38 bhcompy

NKD wrote on Apr 10, 2015, 10:03:
Number one game among fratbro date-rapists and cops.

Well, after playing GTA Online, I'm not sure it's any different in playerbase quality, except GTA Online is like South Central 1993.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V 4K System Requirements
29. Re: Grand Theft Auto V 4K System Requirements Apr 9, 2015, 17:49 bhcompy

Axis wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 16:32:
siapnar wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 15:34:
Axis wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 12:50:
1080p @ 144fps for me.

You can't pay me to play 60fps locked games if they are fps/tps nowadays.
Most first-world comment I've ever read

We're talking computer gaming here, everything and everyone involved is "first-world". If my comment about not playing 60hz locked games seems overkill to you, perhaps you didn't realize you're commenting in a thread discussing how to have enough bling to pull off 4k...

I grew up on CRT's and haven't been able to "go back" to them until 120hz+ LCDs came about a few years ago. If anything, I'm back to my standard requirement I shelved 15 years ago.

Shrug. I notice no need for it. I'd rather have a 16:10 resolution than 120hz.

19. Re: Grand Theft Auto V 4K System Requirements Apr 9, 2015, 13:27 bhcompy

LittleMe wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 12:32:
bhcompy wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 12:11:
LittleMe wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 11:27:
This statement doesn't clarify much, without comprehensive performance benchmarks. Do they mean low graphic settings with a 660 for 1080@60 fps? The 660 is a slow card! Are low graphic settings comparable to PS4's graphics or less?

How come their 4K@30 fps to 60 fps hardware suggestion jumps so dramatically? SLI 980's are far faster than a GTX 760.

4k is a massive jump in resolution?

It's the same resolution. Try reading what I said again. The only thing that changed is 30fps to 60fps. My first paragraph mentioned 1080p so that's where you mixed up the two paragraphs in your mental blender.

Fair enough, perhaps they're also adjusting the settings on AA, AF, texture quality, etc.

14. Re: Grand Theft Auto V 4K System Requirements Apr 9, 2015, 12:11 bhcompy

LittleMe wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 11:27:
This statement doesn't clarify much, without comprehensive performance benchmarks. Do they mean low graphic settings with a 660 for 1080@60 fps? The 660 is a slow card! Are low graphic settings comparable to PS4's graphics or less?

How come their 4K@30 fps to 60 fps hardware suggestion jumps so dramatically? SLI 980's are far faster than a GTX 760.

4k is a massive jump in resolution?

1. Re: Grand Theft Auto V 4K System Requirements Apr 9, 2015, 10:24 bhcompy

Sounds about right. People were bitching in yesterdays thread about the recommended specs being too low, as if the recommended specs would be for 4k gaming. Some people..  

News Comments > GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs
45. Re: GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs Apr 9, 2015, 02:23 bhcompy

jimnms wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 02:15:
nin wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 01:55:
The Half Elf wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 01:22:
Driving and shooting was easy with a M&K in GTA4, why would it be any more difficult in 5?

One of the cool things they added/changed going from last gen to current gen consoles (and I'd be shocked if the pc didn't have it as well) is, instead of a single button press to aim/shoot (IE the gun begins firing the moment the button is pressed, even if you're not on target yet), now you can have one button press to aim, and then another to shoot. Or, you can also change it back to the traditional method it was before.

There's lot of cool options like that, also how you can specify what you want the default camera to be in car, or on foot. They seem to have embraced the idea that people play the game differently, and try to support as many options as they can.

The aim and shoot in GRA IV PC are different buttons, did they change it to one button for GTA V in the old gen consoles?

Default is one button, option for 2. If I recall, GTA4 had single button for PS3, but it was pressure sensitive(a soft press aimed, a hard press shot).

News Comments > GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs
38. Re: GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs Apr 9, 2015, 00:01 bhcompy

walrus1 wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 22:56:
bhcompy wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 22:32:
walrus1 wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 19:55:
Task wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 19:38:
Jesus they really need to start packing these on blurays (for PCs).
Yeah cuase we all have bluray roms.

And we all had DVD players when they started selling games on DVD, right? And we all had CDROMs when they started selling games on CD, right? And we all had 3.5" floppy drives when they started selling games on 3.5" floppy drives, right? They can do both. It just makes sense to migrate to Bluray over time for physical media.

While correct it misses the point. All the above we embraced as a universal format fairly quickly. Bluray shows no sign of this at all.

Bluray is the defacto format for current generation consoles and standard for high capacity disc based PC storage. It's been adopted as a universal format.

788 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo