Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 800 (Graduate)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Tale of Tales Closing
14. Re: Tale of Tales Closing Jun 21, 2015, 18:46 bhcompy

They make it sound like they were making a game made by beancounters, kind of like your basic Chevrolet sedan model. Hit all the checkboxes except the exciting one.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Anarchy Online Testing New Engine
3. Re: Anarchy Online Testing New Engine Jun 20, 2015, 13:41 bhcompy

AO had a great engine back in the day. Superior to EQ, AC, DAoC, and others. The dynamic weather was the best I've seen in an MMO yet. The game itself was also very fun, instances were well organized, classes were interesting, but PvP was very exclusive. If you weren't in the club you were at a serious disadvantage.  

News Comments > Indie Developers on Steam Refunds
36. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 14:20 bhcompy

jdreyer wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 13:42:

Well, some of the more memorable games I've played have been short narrative experiences with mystery elements thus no replayability once you've solved it. It would be a shame if such games went by the wayside due to such a policy. I suppose fans of such games wouldn't really be the type to abuse the policy though.

Myst managed to be wildly successful with that same premise. A good game is a good game and people will pay for it if it is reasonably priced.

24. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 12:03 bhcompy

LurkerLito wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 10:41:
I like the idea of having refunds as a consumer but at the same time I just can't see how this is not going to be abused.

Games like Audio Surf, geometry wars, Beat Hazard, etc... are the indie type games that will get decimated by this policy. They are the type of impulse buy games that people will eventually think, "great game but I'll return it and wait for it to be $2.50" after an hour of playing.

The developers will then start building unnecessary 2 hour mandatory "tutorials", with long boring no bypass non interactive in game cut scenes to combat it.

IMHO the best way to combat it is to turn the refund to a penalty based approach. For each minute of play time you deduct 1% the game price from the refund, and at the end of 100 minutes you can't get one.

You people act as if this is going to be something that people are just going to do over and over again. Valve has already stated that abusers will be addressed, and I imagine if it becomes a widespread problem everyone will have a certain number of refunds per year available to them.

If games are good, they will make money.

21. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 11:47 bhcompy

Quboid wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 09:55:

Perhaps the refund window should scale with price so maybe you get 1 hour per $10: 6 hours for a AAA $60 game but only 1 hour for a $8.99 indie title.

The single player campaigns on a lot of AAA games are only 6-10 hours long already

News Comments > Division 9 Footage
4. Re: Division 9 Footage Jun 3, 2015, 19:02 bhcompy

harlock wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 19:01:
it looks so crappy - wonder if thats how old it is or if its just the temp assets

pretty interesting tho... but yeh, its just SWAT with zombies

Temp assets.

News Comments > Steam Expands Refund Policy
24. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 17:03 bhcompy

ViRGE wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 15:57:
bhcompy wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 14:53:
LittleMe wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 14:51:
Nice! Two hours is fine for some games, not for others. I suspect if we disconnect from the Internet and play and those hours won't be counted.

You have to reconnect to the internet to do the refund and those hours are counted by the overlay.
Piece of cake. Just image the system with Acronis and restore it once you're done playing.

What will get you in the end is requesting so many refunds, since Valve has to process those. Otherwise for game time abuse, Valve doesn't have a perfect way to tell how long you've been playing a game.

And I'm sure abusers will be flagged and not refunded.

News Comments > Steam Expands Refund Policy
5. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 14:53 bhcompy

LittleMe wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 14:51:
Nice! Two hours is fine for some games, not for others. I suspect if we disconnect from the Internet and play and those hours won't be counted.

You have to reconnect to the internet to do the refund and those hours are counted by the overlay.

News Comments > New Need for Speed Requires Internet Connection
44. Re: New Need for Speed Requires Internet Connection May 29, 2015, 17:10 bhcompy

ForgedReality wrote on May 29, 2015, 16:51:
Fletch wrote on May 29, 2015, 15:13:
Not interested. Online required DRM is a deal-breaker. Then again... Witcher3 taught me that developers who support DRM-free releases don't necessarily give a shit about PC gamers, and are just fine releasing buggy console crapola as a PC game. CDPR, you don't get any more of my money, either.

Buggy? I think I've experienced one tiny insignificant bug where a key didn't spawn in a loot drop to let a guy out of a cage when I killed his captors. I googled it and I'm not the only one apparently. But after 50 some hours, that's all. What have you experienced? Have you noticed they've been patching the hell out of it too? The PC version is up to 1.04, and the consoles still haven't even gotten 1.03. And there are 16 free DLC's (four of which are already released) and two huge expansions planned. Doesn't give a shit about PC gamers, indeed...

He's just someone that can't be pleased. Mods, little DRM, plenty of graphical settings.. but one bug and holy shit better call the goddamned National Guard

News Comments > New Need for Speed Requires Internet Connection
15. Re: New Need for Speed Requires Internet Connection May 29, 2015, 11:20 bhcompy

The only NFS games that were any good were Hot Pursuit games. The rest of them... might as well be Ridge Racer.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Price Discussed
18. Re: Oculus Rift Price Discussed May 28, 2015, 11:38 bhcompy

InBlack wrote on May 28, 2015, 09:57:
Wow, I thought Oculus was a tech company. This Bendan dude sounds more like a politician than an engineer. How bout a straight answer cretin!!??

Err, are they not owned by Facebook now? Facebook is a marketing company.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse May 26, 2015, 17:02 bhcompy

Cutter wrote on May 26, 2015, 10:17:
So why would Charter be allowed if Comcast wasn't? All those corps need to be broken down, not bulked up.

Charter isn't that big. Usually, they don't like mergers if the top two merge or two merge that make the #1 even more #1, and I don't think that is the case here. This is like TMobile and Sprint combining. Still smaller than Verizon.

News Comments > More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy
55. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 20, 2015, 11:21 bhcompy

Slick wrote on May 20, 2015, 03:28:
NewMaxx wrote on May 19, 2015, 20:37:
bhcompy wrote on May 19, 2015, 19:16:
And they have a choice? This was the point of buying PhysX. No more discrete PHysX cards, now everything is run through nV GPUs only or done in emulation. The only other player is Havok, and Havok doesn't have dedicated hardware tied to it, nor does it have the resources to provide the level of "support" that nV does.

It's easy to blame the developers when anti-competitive practices make it really easy for the developers to choose PhysX over Havok. Like I said, this is exactly what Creative did to Aureal, and it completely destroyed the discrete PC audio market(which, apparently, is a lesson most of you kids weren't around to learn).

You are completely correct about Creative. I've stated my views on them before but they really did rape the market and it is a fair comparison you make. Audio, after a certain point reached a long time ago, didn't really involve much innovation. Creative simply cornered the market with anti-competitive behavior and found a way to get way more money out of it than is deserves. I've long modified drivers for other cards, including on-board audio, that makes a $5 chip functionally identical to their entry-level $50 cards, cards that really rely on software processing anyway. It's a joke.

I say the comparison is fair because I also programmed with PhysX before NVIDIA purchased them and it was always a scam. You know how it's trendy for people to make Web 2.0+ companies with the hope of selling them off for far above their value to Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, etc? That was the entire business plan for PhysX, I kid you not. They just tried to grab some patents and make some bullshit hardware so they'd get bought out, and it was a good match for NVIDIA because the discrete GPU market is a 2-horse show which is perfect for such antics. It's a continuation of what they did with 3dfx.

the audio stack has been %100 handled by the OS since... vista? maybe XP SP3 even? microsoft killed the discrete audio card market, as zero processing happens on audiocards since that move.

The market was long dead before Vista.

48. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 19:16 bhcompy

CJ_Parker wrote on May 19, 2015, 18:46:
No matter how you slice or dice it, it is still the fookin' GAME DEVELOPER'S incompetence at fault for either poor implementation or a poor choice of their physics engine (or both).
To blame nVidia for sabotaging AMD systems by secretly smuggling PhysX onto AMD systems via setup routines that have not even been written by nVidia in the first place is a little... no, VERY dumb.

And they have a choice? This was the point of buying PhysX. No more discrete PHysX cards, now everything is run through nV GPUs only or done in emulation. The only other player is Havok, and Havok doesn't have dedicated hardware tied to it, nor does it have the resources to provide the level of "support" that nV does.

It's easy to blame the developers when anti-competitive practices make it really easy for the developers to choose PhysX over Havok. Like I said, this is exactly what Creative did to Aureal, and it completely destroyed the discrete PC audio market(which, apparently, is a lesson most of you kids weren't around to learn).

44. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 18:34 bhcompy

CJ_Parker wrote on May 19, 2015, 18:04:
Icewind wrote on May 19, 2015, 17:54:
whenever a game adds an install of Physx during its launching routine
I have always believed that nvidia does this knowing it screws up some AMD systems.

So let me get this straight... you effectively believe that nVidia are the ones writing the setup routines for many games since they apparently have the magical sabotaging power to smuggle PhysX on AMD users' systems?

BWWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA aaaaaahhhhh *wipes tears of laughter from cheeks* oh man that was a good one.

Honestly, bro, are you retarded?

More like nV bought PhysX and closed it up, and then provides awful software to emulate what nV cards provide in hardware(which they don't license to competitors). Similar to what Creative has done since EAX came out 15-20 years ago and ruined PC audio.

35. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 16:24 bhcompy

The Half Elf wrote on May 19, 2015, 09:18:
But anyone who has been around 10+ years in PC Gaming knows that while AMD has good hardware, they are NOTORIOUS for horrible drivers. Every time I have upgraded my GPU since the good old VOODOO days, this has played a factor into my purchase of NVIDIA cards, and why I will NOT purchase a AMD card.

Yea, back when the Radeon 8500 released. Today, the driver issues are on nV with their over-bloated drivers.

This is not a driver issue. It's an anti-competitive practice, just like what Creative did to Aureal.

News Comments > DOOM Reveal at E3
31. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 18, 2015, 16:51 bhcompy

Darks wrote on May 18, 2015, 16:15:
bhcompy wrote on May 18, 2015, 13:50:
I see they haven't graduated from the Doom 3 engine that makes everything look like clay.

I think you would be very wrong about the engine. this is their newer engine, Rage 4. Not the older one Doom 3 was created on.

The point wooshed over your head

News Comments > DOOM Reveal at E3
2. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 18, 2015, 13:50 bhcompy

I see they haven't graduated from the Doom 3 engine that makes everything look like clay.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 6, 2015, 22:54 bhcompy

So a new socket next year. Guess I'll hold off on that upgrade  

News Comments > Starfighter Inc. Kickstarter
19. Re: Starfighter Inc. Kickstarter May 6, 2015, 03:17 bhcompy

Rigs wrote on May 6, 2015, 02:23:

Tachyon: The Fringe

Tachyon was great and Bruce made it better. Also had really fun multiplayer(oohhhh, multiplayer, piss off all those weirdo singleplayer Bluesnewsers on their toasters and 56k modems).

800 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo