Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 727 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Firefly Online Bonus Content; Trailer
2. Re: Firefly Online Bonus Content; Trailer Oct 13, 2014, 10:11 bhcompy

I just don't know if there's an audience for a full scale MMO. A hybrid 4X game would have been so much better.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG
48. Re: Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG Sep 23, 2014, 22:42 bhcompy

Endo wrote on Sep 23, 2014, 22:17:
bhcompy wrote on Sep 23, 2014, 16:52:

Not exactly.. Next gen MMOs are F2P Guild Wars style arenas for the most part. League of Legends and World of Tanks are the definitive MMOs of the current game generation.

Except none of those are MMOs at all, of any kind.

Except that they are defined as MMOs.

World of Tanks is the greatest team-based massively multiplayer online action game dedicated to armored warfare.

44. Re: Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG Sep 23, 2014, 20:42 bhcompy

LgFriess wrote on Sep 23, 2014, 19:58:
Really too bad. Was looking forward to something new MMORPG wise. I kept thinking Blizzard might pull it off with Titan and reintroduce those early WoW gaming moments that captured my attention for years. Those days are gone but whatever, I'm now loving the CRPG rebirth that will keep me going for quite awhile.

I had hopes for Imperator. Too bad they bungled it

41. Re: Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG Sep 23, 2014, 19:29 bhcompy

Creston wrote on Sep 23, 2014, 18:42:
bhcompy wrote on Sep 23, 2014, 18:02:
The traditional blockbuster fantasy MMO is dead as a new game. The failure of Warhammer Online, Star Wars The Old Republic,

TOR actually made 139 million dollars last year so it's a bit harsh to call it a failure.

But I do agree that traditional MMOs (ie, WoW) aren't going to make it anymore. Likely the only reason TOR is doing so well is because it's Star Wars. Without that IP it'd probably have died mere months after release.

Considering the expectations, I would say that it's not returning what they hoped. There are movies that eke out profits that are considered failures, like John Carter, which cost $250m and brought in $285m and cost the chairman of Walt Disney Studios his job. Numbers stated earlier this year indicate 1million active users.. WoW still has 7million active subs.

29. Re: Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG Sep 23, 2014, 18:02 bhcompy

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Sep 23, 2014, 17:21:
Shame this paradigm shift soaked up staff for seven years who could have been improving Diablo and Starcraft from the nostalgic whimpers they ended up being.

My guess is they'd chase an idea for a year and then Old Republic came out, etc. etc. etc. up to Destiny. Never enough grip to create the next WoW killer themselves.

I think you're missing the point. The traditional blockbuster fantasy MMO is dead as a new game. The failure of Warhammer Online, Star Wars The Old Republic, and Final Fantasy show this. We evolved into 3d worlds with EverQuest, moved on to advanced realm combat with DAoC, and polished the game with WoW. Warhammer Online was a better game than WoW, with a better quest system, fun combat, etc, and it died very quickly.

There's no where left to go. The people have moved on. All that's left is legacy. The growth of competitive MOBAs has changed the game, and Blizzard is on the outside looking in with Valve and Riot having the market cornered. And that's not even getting into Minecraft, which is now the other timesink sucking the time of the potential new userbase(young males). When I was in high school it was CS and EQ dominating, then it moved on to CS and DAOC, and CS and WoW, and now it's changed: it's LoL and Minecraft. I ask my 14 year old about World of Warcraft and he laughs because no one his age are playing traditional MMOs.

19. Re: Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG Sep 23, 2014, 16:52 bhcompy

Total-Khaos wrote on Sep 23, 2014, 14:50:
There is no need for creative direction. They are now catering to a bunch of gamers who tap away on iPhones and iPads. The days of MMO's are numbered, they just saw the writing on the wall before wasting even more of their money.

Not exactly.. Next gen MMOs are F2P Guild Wars style arenas for the most part. League of Legends and World of Tanks are the definitive MMOs of the current game generation. Niche products like EVE will continue to exist, but the days of hundreds of millions being dropped into MMOs up front are over. The failure of Warhammer Online, Planetside 2, and Star Wars The Old Republic to energize the market have shown that people just aren't into it. Instead, they're into shorter spurts of action and free to play scenarios.

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Emperor Edition & Free Update Released
12. Re: Total War: ROME II Emperor Edition & Free Update Released Sep 17, 2014, 23:58 bhcompy

justice7 wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 09:27:
TWR2 doesn't suck. In fact it's a rather fantastic game, instead of listening to what "the internet" says try the game out yourself.

I'm not paying $60 for a game when the only problem with RTW, which is otherwise as close to as perfect as a TW game has been to this point in my opinion, is that it needs a graphical update and all I've heard of RTW2 is how inferior it is.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Rogue for PC Possible
1. Re: Assassin's Creed Rogue for PC Possible Sep 17, 2014, 10:51 bhcompy

The game is being developed for 360 and PS3.

Not PS4 or XBone?

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Emperor Edition & Free Update Released
1. Re: Total War: ROME II Emperor Edition & Free Update Released Sep 16, 2014, 20:51 bhcompy

So I've heard RTW2 sucks.. anyone have any input?  

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
33. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 15, 2014, 11:50 bhcompy

NKD wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 11:22:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 10:53:
NKD wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 10:46:
Not sure how much sense this makes for MS, but definitely a good deal for the founders of Mojang. Congrats!
Yeah I can't figure it out either. I mean sure, minecraft is interesting but I grew up and out of legos when I was around 10. I couldn't ever understand the appeal of it. But congrats for making something and getting bought out for an insane amount of money.

I feel like Minecraft has already had its success. How much steam is left in it? $2.5 billion worth? I'm not sure it is. You'd have to sell a lot of t-shirts and foam diamond swords to get that money back.

Minecraft is popular, and has a lot of players, but those players have already bought in and aren't interested in buying in more for stuff they've already been getting for free from the modding community.

This is about the core Microsoft ecosystem: PC. Minecraft's success is derived by PCs, not mobile, not consoles. The new MS CEO is focused on PCs as that is MS's core business, and picking up and investing in what is a huge game for PCs is good for MS going forward, as the people playing it are the young(my son started playing it at 9 years old and still plays it today 5 years later, as do all of his friends). This is an age group they're worried about losing, as kids move to phones, tablets, and consoles with technology, so getting them on PCs playing PC games is huge and it's worth more than any potential direct revenue they'll generate from Minecraft.

Basically, this is classic pre-Balmer Microsoft strategy

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Rights Devoured by Piranha
10. Re: MechWarrior Online Rights Devoured by Piranha Sep 10, 2014, 14:01 bhcompy

This is what CCP did with EVE, which was originally published by Simon and Schuster. Worked out pretty well for them.  

News Comments > Revised Ryse: Son of Rome System Specs
13. Re: Revised Ryse: Son of Rome System Specs Sep 7, 2014, 12:25 bhcompy

As long as it's 16:10  

News Comments > Amazon Buys Twitch
13. Re: Amazon Buys Twitch Aug 25, 2014, 18:27 bhcompy

Primalchrome wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 18:07:
Cutter wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 17:35:
Why would they pay a billion dollars for something no one has ever heard of?
ROFL. It's one of the top ten peak traffic sites on the internet and 'no one has ever heard of' them. They're buying the brand, the contracts, and the infrastructure. Whether its worth a Billion? Google and Amazon both seem to think enough people know about it to make it worth their while. >shrug<

On top of that, it's a growing market in America. League of Legends now sells out the Staples Center once a year and streams to millions of people. DOTA2 is now on ESPN2. The US is catching up to where South Korea has been for 15 years, and China and Japan in the intervening years.

News Comments > MMOGs Under Attack
13. Re: MMOGs Under Attack Aug 22, 2014, 22:11 bhcompy

Tjold wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 17:20:
Who the fuck goes around packeting MMOs?
And, like, why?

Eve has had this problem for years. Eve does have a significant Russian population, which definitely adds to some botnet accessibility, but it also just has a strong powergamer populace and there is really a lot of realworld money at stake. I mean, Titan's are almost worth $10k USD(or they were when I last played at least).

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 17, 2014, 11:00 bhcompy

Redmask wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 10:17:
I thought I wouldn't like CS:GO but I decided to give it a whirl due to the sale weekend. It is surprisingly fun, a lot of old school charm and the FPS mechanics are still tight and enjoyable. It is not at all innovative but just well executed. I'm having a much better time with it than Payday 2 which has inconsistent AI and mission scripting that seems bizarre. I was really hoping for a videogame version of Heat from Payday 2 but it falls well short.

The point was never innovation, it was iteration. CSGO is merely an update to keep the CS ball rollin

News Comments > Gwent: Witcher 3's Embedded Card Game
7. Re: Gwent: Witcher 3's Embedded Card Game Aug 16, 2014, 15:39 bhcompy

So how much did MS pay to get the Xbone Collector's Edition? Hopefully not more than a few hundred bucks given the installbase  

News Comments > Evolve is Big Gamescom Winner
10. Re: Evolve is Big Gamescom Winner Aug 16, 2014, 15:35 bhcompy

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 12:24:
It's kinda hilarious that this game won "Best of Gamescom" award.. youtube gameplay looks spray and pray vs giant tank like targets so that every noob can hit anything

Yeah, the future of multi-player shooters is consolized shooter gameplay 4 vs 1 ... with forced coop and no dynamic levels, destruction or anything even remotely interesting.

Snorefest ^^

I take it you're not a Left4Dead fan

News Comments > Star Citizen in Depth
14. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 11:55 bhcompy

Space games never really fell, they just went indie. Star Citizen is kind of an outlier, and until it's delivered no one really knows what will happen. The X series and games like Sins of a Solar Empire have done very well over the past decade.  

News Comments > Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek
20. Re: Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek Jul 31, 2014, 11:30 bhcompy

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 03:44:
bhcompy wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 15:36:
Task wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 15:19:
They are going to end up being a mainly engine based company like Unreal, they aren't going anywhere.

The problem is that they have very little in the engine market to begin with. EA is on a Frostbite or die kick. id is purely idtech. Everyone else is on Unreal Tech.

Star Citizen, Evolve, and Archeage come to mind.

And other than Star Citizen, they're all nothing games, and Star Citizen isn't going to change much for Crytek regardless

News Comments > Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek
12. Re: Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek Jul 30, 2014, 15:43 bhcompy

Quboid wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 15:05:
Did the reason for the developers of Crysis, I presume a well selling game, to be in this situation? Did Ryse fail as hard as it deserved to?

What independent studios pushing AAA level games are left standing that don't have either a huge engine business(Epic/Unreal), an MMO with a distinct niche(CCP/EVE), or a storefront(Valve/Steam, Stardock/Impulse*)? Crytek fits in none of those buckets.

*-Impulse was sold to Gamestop and Stardock games are sold on Steam, but Stardock apps are sold on their website.

727 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo