Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for edpfister

Real Name edpfister   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 23:57
Total Comments 13 (Suspect)
User ID 55842

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Announced for 64-bit PCs
38. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Announced for 64-bit PCs Oct 16, 2013, 20:10 edpfister

Yeah, GC2 was good but not nearly as good as MOO 1 or 2. Could be really good though if they fix some of the bland features (bland tech, cookie cutter weapons and defense, no control over combat and dry races). Hopefully they will put their effory into that.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > King Arthur II Demo
6. Re: King Arthur II Demo Jan 27, 2012, 19:09 edpfister

I really enjoyed the first game but the interface and battles needed some work. I'm curious if anyone could comment on the differences / similarities from 1 to 2 in this regard?  

News Comments > Disciples III: Resurrection Announced
5. Re: Disciples III: Resurrection Announced Jul 26, 2011, 20:32 edpfister

It pretty much is the old Disciples with new graphics and it was fun for a time but it's just too long and becomes repetitive after a while. I made it through the Empire campaign but had to take a break after that. Just needs more variety or better map design or something. The old Disciples had this problem to a degree but this one seems worse.  

News Comments > Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi Patch
1. Re: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi Patch Apr 6, 2011, 20:14 edpfister

Please put this on Steam, why limit your visibility?  

News Comments > Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV
49. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 19:13 edpfister

They've already mentioned in the past that they want to start selling console games. This is most likely the first step towards doing that and has little to do with PC/Mac.  

News Comments > Dragon Age II Demo
122. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 24, 2011, 20:47 edpfister

entr0py wrote on Feb 22, 2011, 21:04:
Dades wrote on Feb 22, 2011, 20:11:
StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 22, 2011, 19:52:

It's the same game, just faster. I really don't see how anyone could see some huge difference between the two.

No it's not unless your definition of the same is that they are games where you hit keys and things happen.

So, name something specific about the combat that is different besides the pace and the camera limitation. Of course in the first game I always had Wynne casting haste so I'm used everyone running around like overcaffeinated monkeys.

Well I only played the little intro combat before I went to work this morning. The pace was definitely faster but beyond that what I noticed the most was the game required more reaction from me as a player. I was a rogue and when fighting the ogre I could time my backstab so that I appeared behind him as his slow attack landed. This caused him to miss. This is more careful timing than I like in a deep RPG. This felt like something that belongs in an action game, not this game. Not that scenarios similar to this couldn't happen before but this is a design choice and will likely be an important way to play a rogue. I'm pretty sure the ogre would kill me quickly if I just stood in front of him. I prefer things like dogding and avoidance to happen based off your character skills and not require careful concentration and timing. This is especially the case where you are controlling multiple people. Anyway with my 10 minutes with the game this stood out to me and was something I didn't like with combat.

I still have to play more but the initial impression it gave me wasn't good. The game will probably still be a pretty good game but all the new features/changes I've seen so far make the game worse, not better. The idea should be to make the game better so it looks like I will be disappionted with this product. I just need more time to figure out to what degree I will be disappointed. Looks like this will be the 2nd game in a row from Bioware that is going in the wrong direction for my tastes.

News Comments > Armada 2526: Supernova Announced
8. Re: Armada 2526: Supernova Announced Feb 23, 2011, 18:18 edpfister

I'm a big turn-based strategy guy so I picked up the original a ways back. My opinion is the game is just ok. It's simpler than most 4x games. Very simple research was probably the biggest let down for me. Research is a huge part of these kinds of games. Also the combat was bad, real time and hard to manage. The rest was decent. If your forgiving or just dying for a 4x game than maybe pick it up on sale, otherwise I would say pass.  

News Comments > Gearbox to Valve & MS: "Play Nice"
65. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 11, 2010, 20:05 edpfister

GFWL is a joke and is dead as far as I'm concerned. Not sure why anyone even talks about it anymore.

I love a lot of things about Steam but I'm worried about them becoming the only option one day. Monopolies are bad. I also don't like the idea of things like Steamworks. As I understand it if a game uses Steamworks then other services can't even sell it. This is a bad thing to allow in my opinion. Since they are so popular everyone is fine with allowing this (I buy these games too). They have no incentive to not do this so it is entirely up to the consumer to stop it. I don't see that happening anytime soon though. I'm sure there is a way to provide similar features without making Steam be a requirement. To bad it won't happen. Other than that the service is great in my opinion.

News Comments > Elemental/PC Gamer Follow-up
70. Re: Elemental/PC Gamer Follow-up Aug 27, 2010, 13:30 edpfister

I agree that the game that came in the box (assuming it's pretty similar to what I downloaded on Sunday or Monday) should not have been released to the public. So far though the day-0 patch really isn't that bad, for me at least. It's not perfect but it's better than I expected after playing with the early release a little.

Unfortunately for them though a lot of people are basing their opinions on that early release. It was in the box afterall so that is perfectly justified. They just had a poor business plan. The early buzz can make or break a game so it's a very bad idea to release anything to the public that isn't in good condition.

I feel bad for the guys. I pre-ordered so I've been following this game for the last year and had very high hopes for it. It didn't end up being quite what I'd hoped but I think it is still a good game. With the day 0 patch it already seems pretty good with the 2 hours or so I tried it but this fiassco will likely kill their future sales. Games like this are pretty rare in these times so I hope it can get past this. I really want to see more games like it.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Date and Trailer
26. Re: Dragon Age 2 Date and Trailer Aug 18, 2010, 20:08 edpfister

I've heard several things that worry but this comment is the worst so far.

"more responsive combat that will allow players to think like a general, but fight like a Spartan,” said Mark Darrah, executive producer at BioWare. “We are giving the franchise’s gameplay a shot of adrenaline. We can’t wait to get the game in people’s hands so they can feel the difference.”

I don't want yet another action game. Hopefully this is just marketing but I doubt it. Sounds like another great series is heading in the wrong direction for my tastes. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it works out but this definitely isn't a preorder type of game for me anymore. Need to see some actual reviews before I pick this one up.

News Comments > Heroes of Might & Magic VI Revealed
10. Re: Heroes of Might & Magic VI Revealed Aug 16, 2010, 16:57 edpfister

That's all true but the real difference between the two games is that HOMM is more of a strategy game and King's Bounty is more of an adventure game (i.e. explore the world and story). In HOMM you control cities, build armies and conquer your opponents whereas in King's Bounty you are a single hero trying to accomplish the goals of the story.

Also for those who don't know HOMM was inspired by the original King's Bounty game that came out way back when so they have a lot of similarities.

As for the online game I think that is just a separate project. As far as I know that is still coming out.

News Comments > EA Files Syndicate TMs
31. Re: EA Files Syndicate TMs Aug 4, 2010, 20:08 edpfister

I just hope they are faithful to the original. I know that it will almost certainly change the perspective but please at least still have squads and customization of your cyborgs. It won't be Syndicate without those. If it's a standard FPS it will be a big let down.  

News Comments > PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming?
51. Re: PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming? Jul 23, 2010, 20:01 edpfister

Wow, can't these guys spending all this money come up with some other solution other than just not doing it? What about giving the player some options. Let the player choose from one of these (or some subset) and then have matchmaking do it's thing.

1) I will play with anyone and know I/they may be at a disadvantage due to differences in controllers. I don't care.

2) I only want to play with controllers. PC's can use controllers, if you want to play with all the console players get a controller and learn to use it.

3) I only want to play with other PC/console players

Yes, it will take some programming hours to get this to work but you are opening up a lot of possibilities. Do they think this is too complicated for users? I think we can handle a few options. In these modern times having our choices so restricted is ridiculous. At least give it a try and see what happens if nothing else.

13 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo