Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 2009 (Senior)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Mar 13, 2015, 01:09 Jivaro

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 00:44:
Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

LOL...

True enough..I only asked because I have a wheel for the PC.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Mar 12, 2015, 22:13 Jivaro

My youngest step-daughter and I played the hell out of Burnout Paradise on the PS3. I like the arcade type racers, so this was a blast. The people who dig more realistic games probably weren't as happy with it.

Does the PC version support wheels?

News Comments > Free Avencast: Rise of the Mage
5. Re: Free Avencast: Rise of the Mage Mar 12, 2015, 22:08 Jivaro

Interesting. I saw the buttons for Facebook and Twitter but all I did was give it my email. I wonder if I already linked Facebook to Bundle Stars or something. Probably.  

News Comments > Free Avencast: Rise of the Mage
3. Re: Free Avencast: Rise of the Mage Mar 12, 2015, 21:41 Jivaro

Hyatus wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 21:09:
FYI, this also requires you to login through facebook.

What? I didn't have to do that. I put in my email address and boom, key. I already have a Bundle Stars account though....maybe that is why.

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Next Year
14. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Next Year Mar 12, 2015, 19:00 Jivaro

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 16:28:
Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 14:33:
The Revolution will not be televised.

Will it be on Netflix?

HBO Now. The Revolution probably has full frontal nudity.

News Comments > Star Citizen is Huge
75. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 15:06 Jivaro

Fair enough CJ. I am afraid that it (being those quotes) likely affects your perception of the development process differently than mine though. Which was kind of my point.  

72. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 14:56 Jivaro

I think it is very likely that many folks will self-identify as being in a "cautiously optimistic" group. To me that still puts them in group 2.

I was generalizing quite a bit so as to avoid creating a 1-10 scale or something. You know, like how a doctor says "How would you rate your pain on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being *not much at all* and 10 being *the worst pain you have ever felt*" The idea is to get a specific idea for the pain level but the problem is that all sorts of things affect the individual response. I caught myself telling a male nurse that my pain was a 10 when I hurt my back (understandable: broken vertebrae in two places, crushed a disc)....and than turned around 15 minutes later and told my HAWT female doctor that it was only a 7. You know, being the big macho stud that hardly feels pain. *cough* note: I may or may not have caught myself doing that so much as my wife caught me doing that.

Anyway, I generalized intentionally. Many folks will probably fall somewhere in between a couple of those groups.

67. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 14:29 Jivaro

At this point, it really seems everyone has their mind made up about how they feel about the game and it's development process. I mean, every thread about this game is essentially the same. It seems like there are mainly 4 different types of people that post in these threads.

1) Haters - May or may not have backed the game. They have their reasons and they tell everyone what they are in every single thread. I don't understand this group at all, just like I didn't understand this same type pre-D3's release. The whole "I hate this and you should too for all these reasons that make complete sense to me...or you're big, fat, ugly, and dumb!" thing just doesn't really make sense to me. It's not that they are absent of facts in their posts, but there sure are a lot of assumptions that go with them.

2) Fans - Backed the game, some REALLY backed it. They have their reasons and they defend them in every single thread. I don't really get this group either, just like I didn't understand this same type pre-D3's release. The whole "I love this and you should too for all these reasons that make complete sense to me... or you're big, fat, ugly, and dumb!" thing just doesn't really make sense to me. It's not that they are absent of facts in their posts, but there sure are a lot of assumptions that go with them.

3) "Wake me up when Squadron 42 is out" - They backed the game to play the single player. The rest of the game is either a bonus or completely irrelevant. Since they won't be able to play the full single player experience all at once for some time, they are basically in hibernation. I myself fit into this group. I only come here because occasionally the "fans" comment on something I am interested in and I go look it up at the official forums. Sometimes I let myself get sucked into the debate of the day. It's not something I am proud of but hey, I am only human.

4) The Disappointed - These are the people that backed the game and for one reason or another wish they hadn't. Honestly, I very much understand this point of view. Lots of things have changed about the game, not all of it means much to many of the backers, and it's obvious the release date is a ways off. Did Roberts ever say that wasn't a possibility, well no..of course not. That doesn't make it any less disappointing. A great many people have absolutely zero interest in beta testing and yet that is essentially all a great many backers feel like they have to look forward to for the foreseeable future. I think a great many of the people that fall into the "Wake me up for Squadron 42" club fall into this last group as well...or will eventually depending on the length of time it takes to arrive.

Did I miss anyone? I mean, I realize there is a 5th group who may or may not have backed the game, look forward to all aspects of the game, and have decided to just sit tight until release...but since they don't post often it's hard to gauge their number.

News Comments > Steam Gift Restrictions Tighten
25. Re: Steam Gift Restrictions Tighten Mar 12, 2015, 13:41 Jivaro

Listen man, if you want to panic like Hicks, go for it. What I said remains the case. Just because Russia has some laws that break the system doesn't make the system the problem.

Or to put it another way...when you come up with a way for Valve to do it that both serves the customers AND doesn't break any laws in any of the countries they serve....I am very certain Valve would love to hear from you. Right now it seems like they are doing their best to make sure that their system negatively affects as few people as possible.

In the meantime, feel free to run around yelling "game over man"

23. Re: Steam Gift Restrictions Tighten Mar 12, 2015, 13:31 Jivaro

El Pit wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 13:28:
ItBurn wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 13:25:
I'm currently in another country for 6 months for work. Are you telling me that one day I won't be able to play the games I paid for? What if I move permanently to another country? I lose my whole Steam library of hundreds of games?

True! IP locks are already installed for some games. You buy them in the US, move to OZ or Germany, and in some cases this means you won't be able to play.

Not true. When you buy a game and activate it on steam, it will stay in your library. The region restrictions are for games you buy and activate but once activated it stays in your library. There are a few exceptions but those are imposed by the developer/publisher, not Valve. edit: or as you said, a specific country..like Russia perhaps?

I think you can use this: https://steamdb.info to find out what they are. I think a Russian only example would be Metro:LL , I didn't really spend much time looking. Again, as I said, I am not sure what Valve can do about that. It's a legal issue, Valve is just complying with local laws.

18. Re: Steam Gift Restrictions Tighten Mar 12, 2015, 13:26 Jivaro

ItBurn wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 13:25:
I'm currently in another country for 6 months for work. Are you telling me that one day I won't be able to play the games I paid for? What if I move permanently to another country? I lose my whole Steam library of hundreds of games?

That isn't what this means and I am not sure how you got there. Once the game is verified to your account, it's yours. This is only with regards to the gifting process. You pass through those gates and you are home free.

17. Re: Steam Making Piracy More Interesting Mar 12, 2015, 13:25 Jivaro

Orogogus wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 13:17:
Why do you think this is a problem with companies and not your local laws?

That really is the bottom line. People want to blame Valve but this is about following the laws for each individual country they provide their service in. I mean, it is about money and taxes and cost of living and all of that other stuff too....but in this particular instance this is Valve doing their version of "I am just here so I don't get fined."

6. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Next Year Mar 12, 2015, 13:20 Jivaro

*sniff* And here I thought I was all alone....  

59. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 13:14 Jivaro

Flatline wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 12:42:
Yep, this game will be unusable for people on Comcast, unless they remove their cap.

I have Comcast and I have no cap. Why that is I have no idea. I do know that I downloaded well over 2TB of data 3 months ago as part of re-installing 2 different computers on my home network and it didn't cost me anything extra. I doubt it has anything to do with me being a special little snowflake, but I guess that is a possibility.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 12, 2015, 12:55 Jivaro

One of my favorite Youtube videos of all time is Buzz punching a "the moon landing was faked" idiot. (I think someone here actually provided the link that gave me my first look at that) Cracks me up every time, mainly because I know Buzz wanted to punch him from the moment he started talking but held off for quite some time. The guy just kept following him around and than he called Buzz a coward. It wasn't the accusation of faking the moon landing that put him over the edge, it was the "you are a coward" comment.

If there is anything I know about men and particularly men of that particular generation, you don't say that and expect to not get hit. Coward or liar...two accusations you don't make to that generation and expect to stay standing.

I might just go buy his app to support the completely imaginary "Buzz Aldrin punches idiots" foundation.

43. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 12:34 Jivaro

I don't see how this is surprising, controversial, or in any way unexpected to anyone other than those that haven't played an MMO for the last 5 years. Those folks might be a tad surprised I guess. From the beginning Roberts has been hanging his hat on this whole "a PC game designed only for PCs and PC gamers". All the HDD, Blu-Ray, and RAM restrictions that multi-platform games have are, of course, than tossed right out the window.

It also seems on par compared to newer MMOs, or at least the way MMOs seem to be going. SWTOR, which doesn't exactly have the most modern engine driving it, takes up over 60GBs currently. Patches are often 6-8 GBs, and that is pretty much the norm for most modern MMOs. Marvel Heroes is not exactly the pinnacle of graphics and sound achievement and yet it regularly has large downloads for major patches. (I am not saying it's good or bad, I am just saying it's an industry norm) Even single player games are rolling out with 30-40GB installs and some are having 5-6GB patches. If I had bandwidth restrictions I suppose I might be a tad upset, but if I had bandwidth restrictions I probably would have waited until the game's release in 2030 to actually buy it.

Can tomorrow's headline be "Star Citizen expected to include voice acting from the cast of Glee"? I think that comment thread would be awesome.

1. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Next Year Mar 12, 2015, 11:53 Jivaro

I am looking forward to it. I realize I am perhaps the only person on the planet looking forward to it...but hey.....the upside is that maybe it will be cheap!  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2015, 15:56 Jivaro

Yeah, I am digging Oliver as well. Short amount of time, interesting topics, great humor, unique perspective. Too bad HBO locked him up because, as a Daily Show fan, having him take over for John Stewart would have been great.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Videos
71. Re: Star Citizen Videos Mar 9, 2015, 21:31 Jivaro

Plot twist: This is all a big government black op made to get as much money and information from as many wannabe space cowboys and Internet trolls as possible. They were going to end the op last November originally but so many trolls (and cowboys!) have shown up that Congress has given the op it's own budget and permanent staffing. Look for Snowden to reveal that he has copies of emails between Chris Roberts and Hillary Clinton, sent to her private email of course, to be revealed sometime during the upcoming primaries.  

News Comments > etc.
21. Re: etc. Mar 9, 2015, 18:45 Jivaro

Prez wrote on Mar 9, 2015, 17:36:
I know that I am going to regret this, but wasn't there a near unanimous consensus for years on high cholesterol foods raising your blood cholesterol in the medical field? Until this year anyway, when the latest studies have proven there to be no ascertainable link whatsoever. I'm not saying that the same thing will happen with climate change (specifically anthropomorphic climate change), but it does illustrate that a consensus based on bad or incomplete findings or evidence is still a wrong one. I only question is there enough evidence for such a consensus to be infallible.

For me the climate change debate has always come down to one thing.... and whether the possibility that we are in fact responsible for an unnatural amount of change or not is not it. It is the possible consequences that ring with me. If mainstream science is correct than there is some scary consequences if we don't make changes. If we wait until we are 100% sure, the consequences are already here. Yes, the mainstream might be wrong, like with cholesterol, but if they are we haven't really lost anything. We already know fossil fuels cause pollution and are limited anyway. Moving on from them, climate change or no, isn't really such a bad thing.

I don't know anymore than any other person who isn't actually making a career out of studying the climate, it just seems to me that it would be dumb not to do anything until we are absolutely certain when we don't have anything really to lose if we are wrong but we will definitely pay the price if we are right. More importantly, our kids will pay the price.

The fact of the matter is that there have been members of the scientific community talking about this for a very long time and it wasn't until the late 70s that anybody started really taking it seriously. Know why? Because some really smart people figured out how to make money off of alternative ways to power things. That's how things change in a capitalistic society based on a free market. Things don't change until someone figures out how to make the change profitable. The older oil based industries still have bank though, and they use it to donate to politicians who give them a voice. The minute they don't have that bank those same politicians will be true climate change believers. Ask Big Tobacco about how all of that works.

Just my take on it. Or at least how I have been viewing it so far.

2009 Comments. 101 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo