Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 1666 (Pro)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
8. Re: Saturday Interviews May 31, 2014, 13:29 Jivaro

I approve of this woman's intent, I disapprove of death threats and rape, etc etc. I think for most rational people that sort of thing goes without saying.

All of that said...calling Metroid a sexist game highlights exactly why so many people, men and women, have a hard time taking her seriously and find many of her eforts and statements to be misguided. If you play Metroid now, you already know the lead is a woman. Back than, the first time you play it, you didn't. That was the point, to create this strong female character. (a fact by the way that Metroid M totally undermines by making the lead character a male dependent emotional wreck....if she was going to call one of the Metroid games sexist, it should have been that one)

A lack of context and perspective doesn't excuse any of the shit that she has had to put up with though. Even if she was flat out wrong with everything she has said.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Qtracker GameSpy Support Expands
3. Re: Qtracker GameSpy Support Expands May 31, 2014, 08:17 Jivaro

eRe4s3r wrote on May 31, 2014, 05:39:
Makes you wonder why GLU Mobile even bought Gamespy... I mean, they'd not have sold if they had a viable business model....

They bought them for the tech and team, according to the Gamasultra article that Nathan linked.

"Gluís acquisition of GameSpy has been successful from the perspective of technology gained. The GameSpy multiplayer technology and team are now the foundation of Gluís multiplayer platform. The GameSpy business itself proved to no longer be a viable business model, leading to Gluís decision to sunset the hosting business."

When asked about whether or not the company might consider making some or all of the GameSpy Technology hosting services open-source, a Glu Mobile representative gave the following statement:

"Glu has no plans to provide this tech as an open-source offering. We have worked with partners to transition service Ė although the majority have chosen not to. Partners are making this decision based on economics of the service (alongside technical decisions based upon their ability to host the services and modify the games as needed.)

"Unfortunately the services provided by GameSpy are more complicated than is commonly thought Ė itís not a question of simply hosting a single server."

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
13. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 30, 2014, 19:30 Jivaro

*shrug* OK  

10. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 30, 2014, 15:09 Jivaro

Cutter wrote on May 30, 2014, 14:49:
I know nothing about the man. Is he an avid gamer?

He claims to be...but I would rank that as perhaps one of the least important claims on his resume. No seriously, I would. I know hundreds, if not thousands (if you count everyone I have ever come into contact with while gaming) of gamers. Them being avid gamers means jack shit in terms of them actually knowing what the fuck they are talking about when it comes to the industry.

We as gamers put ourselves on this pedestal like somehow being the consumer makes us inherently know more about the industry than the people who work in it as a profession. We all do it to some degree. The problem is, as anyone who has worked in a customer service industry of any sort will attest to, the customer doesn't know what the fuck they want half the time. When they do, they are wrong as often as they are right.

I am not saying Tretton is some sort of gaming sage that all should bow before. I am just saying that compared to the d list celebrities, supposed gaming journalists, etc that Spike has chosen in the past...this is a major improvement.

8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 30, 2014, 14:43 Jivaro

Creston wrote on May 30, 2014, 12:05:
Wasn't Jack Tretton the joker who said he'd pay double for every PS3 on the shelf right after it launched, only to have to eat crow when people started sending him thousands and thousands of pictures of PS3s on the shelves?

The CEO of Sony speaking in hyperbole about the products of Sony.....*gasp*...unimaginable! lol

C'mon man. That hardy does anything to make him a joker. Now, if he went all Stevie B crazy on the stage...that would be something else...

In all seriousness, if a man of Jack Tretton's resume, experience, education, etc is not someone you can take seriously, there isn't anyone in the industry you can. Now, there are many that would say that is exactly the problem with the industry, there isn't anyone you can take seriously. I've gotten nothing to combat that opinion other than my own personal opinion that people don't stumble into career success like the career Jack Tretton has had. I am just not cynical enough to believe that he has been so successful by not knowing what he is doing or what he is talking about.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Premium Beta Begins
34. Re: Elite: Dangerous Premium Beta Begins May 30, 2014, 12:09 Jivaro

Creston wrote on May 30, 2014, 12:03:
SpectralMeat wrote on May 30, 2014, 11:50:
Yeah good luck finding one in stock anywhere.

Amazon is saying in stock right now, so if anyone wants one, now's the time to bite.

I need to debate whether I play enough games with joysticks to make it worth the price of 3 full games...

Gamer Devil on your shoulder says: *DOOOOOOOOO ITTTTTTTTTTT*

Gamer Angel on your opposite shoulder says: *Do it and tell everyone that it is to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome*

6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 30, 2014, 11:14 Jivaro

Jack Tretton is probably one of the few "corporate" types in the gaming industry who I would actually take seriously when giving his opinion on such things. He isn't the ex-CEO that got the job after being a CEO for the car industry or something. He worked his way up within the industry and within one of the biggest contributors to the industry. His perspective, given his experience, would be interesting compared to the "gaming journalists", celebrities, and "I haven't released anything good since the 90s" devs that Spike often turns to. That said....If he is to do something like this, I wish he were doing it for someone other than Spike. He might be credible, they are not.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Premium Beta Begins
17. Re: Elite: Dangerous Premium Beta Begins May 30, 2014, 11:05 Jivaro

Ahh yes, the "I could just state my position but I think I will do it and be a presumptuous, generalizing, condescending, and obnoxious prick about it" post. Good to see that those aren't saved strictly for Star Citizen threads. Balance is key.  

News Comments > Bethesda Announces BATTLECRY
6. Re: Bethesda Announces BATTLECRY May 28, 2014, 12:01 Jivaro

For the sake of the game I am willing to say "okay, no gunpowder" and move on. No different than most fiction based entertainment...there is usually something that defies reality that you have to be able to simple shelve and accept.

A Team Fortress game set in a world like this is mildly interesting to me. I would at least give it a whirl. I can't say that if someone said "quick, list 50 games you want to see made!" this would be on the list though.

News Comments > SSFIVAE Replacing GFWL with Steamworks Too
1. Re: SSFIVAE Replacing GFWL with Steamworks Too May 27, 2014, 19:45 Jivaro

That is....actually pretty cool.  

News Comments > Sacred 3 in August
1. Re: Sacred 3 in August May 27, 2014, 13:36 Jivaro

Very much looking forward to it. These games have their flaws but I found both of the other games enjoyable.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Watch Dogs; First Reviews
14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Watch Dogs; First Reviews May 27, 2014, 11:20 Jivaro

descender wrote on May 27, 2014, 11:02:
You do realise that Jesus is the most common name in the world today?

This... is not true. Unless by "in the world" you meant "in Peru".

I was going to say, Peru is the only country where that name is even in the top 5.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale May 26, 2014, 16:26 Jivaro

Dust is a cool little game. Most of us already have a backlog, but I think it's worth putting in the "someday" stack if you haven't already played it.  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
5. Re: May 25, 2014, 16:18 Jivaro

J wrote on May 25, 2014, 16:05:
nin wrote on May 25, 2014, 14:02:
Hey guys, don't know if you've heard, but that moterfuckers PROFITABLE!

That news is so awesome. I think you should say it again just to make sure everybody knows!

I don't know if you guys heard this already or not, but the PS4 hardware is already profitable.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $44M
42. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 25, 2014, 01:26 Jivaro

Rigs...you win the Internet today.  

News Comments > Op Ed
49. Re: Op Ed May 22, 2014, 20:49 Jivaro

I think some of you, indeed most of you, have the right idea at heart. Nobody should tell game designers what to make and what not to make. I can agree with that premise at it's most base concept. The only real error (outside of the unusual amount of anger and defensiveness) I see in any of the presented opposition to Beamer's comments is the assumption that if everybody just stopped making a fuss over race or sexuality, or gender, or whatever it wouldn't be such a big deal. If that worked we wouldn't have any bigots, racists, etc in the first place. It doesn't work and it is the responsibility of those that are not biased or prejudiced to make sure that the future generations are raised in a world that has less and less room for those that are bigoted and prejudiced in some way. You do that through parenting first of course, but the culture, the media, and even our entertainment...books, movie, tv, video games...all of these things have to reinforce it.

My two cents.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer
15. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer May 22, 2014, 10:54 Jivaro

Love this series. Can't wait for the next game.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2014, 10:52 Jivaro

Hmm...Not only was it on the front page yesterday but I got an email to both my accounts. It doesn't seem to me like they are hiding anything.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation May 21, 2014, 17:23 Jivaro

Trashy wrote on May 21, 2014, 15:18:
HoSpanky wrote on May 21, 2014, 14:46:
I have a WiiU, but the handful of Wii games that I have don't have online functions. I honestly haven't even tried using Wii games on it.

I would assume, that since it'll run a Wii emulator, it won't work.

The WiiU doesn't use an emulator for Wii game compatibility, it's running a similar hardware architecture as the Wii and is binary compatible. There are some minor hardware/software differences that will break somethings of course..

So...sort of how they did the gamecube within the Wii than...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation May 21, 2014, 11:53 Jivaro

Verno wrote on May 21, 2014, 10:52:
I think it was more due to their backend being hosted by Gamespy who shut down but I agree its kinda bullshit that they aren't implementing something else.

So even if a person buys a Wii U they can't play the Wii games online? This is my real question because some articles seem to indicate that Wii mode on the Wii U no longer has online functionality. Other articles seem to suggest that you can maintain online functionality with your Wii games by upgrading systems.

Does anyone here have any firsthand knowledge? Is it a game by game thing? I am not really affected by this whole thing other than not being able to re-download my Wii store purchases, but I am curious.

1666 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo