Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 2139 (Senior)
User ID 55841
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 10, 2015, 19:51 Jivaro
Yeah eRe4s3r, that was basically where my line of thinking has gotten to at this point. It only happens with Windows 10. This computer has had Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, and 10 on it. I didn't keep either 8 or 8.1 out of personal preference but they did support sleep mode and the shutdown worked fine. Win7 was my preferred operating system and it worked fine. I even had a Linux distro on here in a dual boot configuration and it worked fine as well. (never tried a sleep mode, but shutdown and reboots worked just fine) It's only Windows 10 that seems to have this. I only have to tap the power button to get a full shut off once it hangs, I don't have to push and hold for any amount of time.

Unless someone or some article throws a definitive solution at me I am probably going to leave it alone for this first couple of months and see if the steady stream of MS updates or the next Nvidia drivers address the problem. Frustrating but in the history of new Windows install issues of the past it is definitely one of the least problematic. I once attempted to install 45 computers with Windows ME all at once..I know true pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch Notes
5. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch Notes Aug 10, 2015, 18:27 Jivaro
I put this game aside early on because of various issues. I should probably get back to it, I imagine the drastic patching is done by now. I guess I will reroll and start over. I was only about 12 or so hours in anyway.  
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 10, 2015, 17:49 Jivaro
Keilun wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 15:56:
On the sleep issue, have you tried running the powercfg lastwake command from the shell?

I've used that in the past to discover the offending device. This was back on Win7 though. I'm not sure how/if it translates to Win10. The hope is that it'll work and help you figure out which device to disable the wake.

Hi Keilun and thanks for your suggestion:

I hadn't tried that particular parameter so I just did and unfortunately it came back as simply "Wake History Count - 0".

I had tried the /sleepstudy parameter, something I became aware of after reading an article on Windows 8 sleep/power issues, but unfortunately I got the "S0 Low Power Idle" is not supported on this machine. Cannot run tool." message. Apparently this tool depends on the hardware being able to use a low power status that my motherboard isn't capable of being in.

I looked at a list of the known powercfg parameters on Wiki, which strangely seems more accurate than the one on MS's website, and I don't see another one that will help me. Thanks for the suggestion though..I appreciate the try.
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 10, 2015, 15:45 Jivaro
Verno wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 15:30:
Sorry to hear your Sleep issue persists Jivaro, I will look more into it later and see if I can come up with anything you haven't thought of already.

Thanks, I appreciate that. Though obviously, you don't need to do that, I certainly welcome any extra help. I can't decide what bothers me more at this point...the fact that it isn't working properly or the fact that I am totally stumped as to what exactly is the issue. Even if the issue was not something I could fix without hardware replacement I would still feel better if I at least knew precisely what the problem was.

PS: I tried sleep and shutdown from the initial login screen to see if something third-party might be holding up things. By shutting down at the login screen I figured that would eliminate most third party stuff from having been loaded. It made no difference. Infuriating.
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 10, 2015, 15:18 Jivaro
DangerDog wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 14:42:
The bit about Firefox being slower in Windows 10 sounds suspicious to me as well, are they intentionally gimping performance to get people to use their "fast" edge browser?

Chrome works as well or better after upgrading according to all reports I have read. I mean, I am no expert but it seems to me that if there was a conspiracy it would affect them as well. Chrome is the biggest competitor. Firefox was getting bloated and buggy long before Windows 10, which is one of the reasons that so many long term Firefox users have been switching to Chrome. As long ago as 2008 CNET was pointing out Firefox's increasing slowness. I really don't find it hard to believe that a change in OS only exasperated any problems that already existed. Mozilla hasn't really been running a tight ship of late. I am no Microsoft fanboy but blaming MS seems a bit convenient in this case.

In the interests of full disclosure, my personal experience is as follows: I run Firefox and Chrome on my system because some versions of Firefox are just crap and I have to run Chrome until they patch it. For me, it's been that way for over 2 years now. I would rather use Firefox but sometimes it is just so screwed up I go to the Google-side just so I can get my browsing done in a reasonable amount of time.
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 10, 2015, 13:55 Jivaro
Verno wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 13:49:
Are you using S3 sleep? Try disabling hybrid sleep and see if it works. I haven't encountered that on my nvidia card but I'm sure our hardware configs and drivers differ.

What's the motherboard?

MSi motherboard of which the model and chip escapes me, but it is a a i5-2500 @ 3.30 GHz, so it's a bit older by the standards of this site's members. I don't know about the S3 sleep setting off the top of my head either so I will reset and go check the settings and than coe back and update this post. Thanks for giving me something else to try....drives me nuts to have nagging issues like this.

edit: Switching to S1 (my only other option) didn't change anything. Motherboard is a MSi Z68A-0317-B3-F13 using bios version 6.00PG.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2015, 14:37.
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 10, 2015, 13:33 Jivaro
I would just be happy if my computer would use it's sleep mode. Since I upgraded from 7 to 10 my computer can no longer use sleep mode or even shut down properly. I read on a forum somewhere that it has to do with the current Nvidia drivers somehow, but other than that rather vague and unsubstantiated theory I have no idea what the problem is. I choose sleep or power off and the computer goes through all of it's normal steps, the screens go dark....and than the power just stays on and the fans & liquid cooling system keep running even though there is no video output or hard drive usage. I can't wake the machine up either. I end up having to press the power button which in the case of sleep mode appears to cause a hard off and in the case of powering down appears to finish the process properly. When I reboot from the sleep mode it makes me scan for errors (thus my hard off assumption) and when I reboot from power off everything works as if I powered down normally.

I upgraded from 7 and this is the only bug, complaint, or problem I have had. My computer actually runs the same or better with everything I do and I like the new interface but this issue is kind of a biggy. Sleep mode is my preferred non-use state and with 7 it woke up nearly instantly. I still haven't joined the SSD crowd so full reboots take longer than I would like. Whatever the cause, Nvidia or not, I hope it is fixed soon.
News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2015, 12:51 Jivaro
I understand early morning usage of the lawn mower when it's going to be a hot day later on. I was a resident of Phoenix for just over 6 years and I visited every summer for another 4. People were mowing lawns at like 6:00 AM to avoid the inevitable midday heat.

No idea what the temps are like in your neck of the woods Blue, but in the summer it kinda makes sense to get that stuff done early.
News Comments > Diablo III Season 3 Ending This Month
4. Re: Diablo III Season 3 Ending This Month Aug 8, 2015, 01:47 Jivaro
Yeah, I am looking forward to it. Isn't really much reason to play until than.  
News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 4, 2015, 16:17 Jivaro
nin wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 13:59:
Based on the comments I read, people were claiming it was originally going to be DRM free, which is why at least some folks backed it. But then, to get full FF compatibility, they started tinkering with DRM.

There's also the question brought up about how they're able to refund everyone's money after a year of dev time. Were they bought out, and they don't want to admit it (yet)?

I get that...but if they are going to complain about the project failing AND complain about about the nature of their refunds it just comes across as complaining to complain. Even if the reason the project is failing is because they have decided to change something fundamental in the project (ie DRM) or if they were bought out shouldn't they be applauded for admitting they can't make what they promised and giving everyone their money back?

I am just glad I am getting my money back. This is my first failed KS venture but I always assumed that once I put my money in a KS it was either going to turn into something or disappear wasn't coming back.
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 4, 2015, 12:33 Jivaro
As long as they are giving refunds I don't really see why there is so much anger in the KS comments. I understand disappointment but wow...some of those folks are acting like the team just killed their dog, screwed their spouse, and stole their car.

When I get my money back I think I will get a Fire or a Roku. Probably a Fire since I am a Prime member but I will need to do some research.
46. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2015, 11:23 Jivaro
While that is the cynical look at it, it is also hard to dispute of course.  
44. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2015, 10:01 Jivaro
1badmf wrote on Jul 31, 2015, 23:25:
really? people are that pissed that it's been delayed? as far as i'm concerned it's right on track, taking into account the added features. might not see 1.0 till next year, but what AAA title hasn't been delayed. only diff is SC did it publicly.

I don't disagree with your points. I just think that if a project like this originally says it's going to do "X" thing in "Y" amount of time and it changes both the "X" and the "Y" than the folks supporting the original venture should be able to get their money back. I am keeping my money in the pot because A) It's only 35 bucks and B) Because I am fine with the explained changes and timeline. The fact that I am fine with it doesn't mean everybody has to be though.

I would point out that I say "should be able to get their money back". I mean that in a very idealist sort of way. I am not saying that I believe that should be a law or even a rule. I am just saying I think that it's the right thing to do in some cases, specifically those with such dramatic changes from the original sales pitch. Kickstarters and the various similar ways of crowdsourcing are a risk and nobody should throw their money in expecting to be able to get it back. People compare it to investing but I compare it to gambling. Don't put any money in the game that you can't afford to lose. That being said, this is a very successful campaign that, despite the negative picture one might draw from the comments here on Blues, has a huge and devoted fan base that is largely in support of the game design expansion. With all the millions that they have generated I think giving refunds to those that kicked money in based on the plan of the original Kickstarter is the right thing to do. I meant it when I said I didn't think he would get his refund though...I am used to companies doing the "legal" thing or the "business" thing, not the right thing.

edit: When I refer to things as a clusterfuck here what I meant is that I agree with him on his main points of frustration. You are right, delays happen and the main difference between this project and a normal "AAA publisher" project is that the public gets to see it all unfold publicly. That doesn't really change the fact that he donated based on one set of promises and now there is a totally different set of promises that are said to be fulfilled on a totally different time schedule. One could say "well, that's game development...suck it up buttercup" and not be wrong. I am impressed that wasn't what he was told. I am not sure I can think of any other development studio or publisher that would have given his money back, BBB report or no.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2015, 10:13.
38. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2015, 19:50 Jivaro
Kxmode wrote on Jul 31, 2015, 18:09: Here's the conclusion to my CIG refund request. Start at "UNEXPECTED REPLY FROM SANDI GARDINER (July 22, 2015)".

I'm now no longer a backer of Star Citizen. My entire US$930 was returned.

I have to admit man..I didn't think you would get any of it, let alone all of it. I am not at that point where I want a refund, but I am only in for 35 bucks so I can't really say our situations compare. Good job getting your money. I want to see the game finished and I think it will "eventually", but this whole thing has been such a clusterfuck and anybody who wants a refund really should get one.
31. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2015, 15:01 Jivaro
Honestly, a mobile friendly version of the site is all I would really like to see.  
News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2015, 12:02 Jivaro
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 11:45:
Are there any articles/#'s out there with how many people they feel stream games in their own house? I know I could do it, but I just always conclude I rather just play it natively for the best overall experience.

I use streaming from my PS4 to my Vita when the wife and kids are using the TV that the PS4 is on. It works great for most of the games I own and I am glad Sony does it. I could do the Steam streaming thing but I don't ever have the need. It's a feature that's nice to know I have but my current setup just doesn't provide an opportunity to use it very often.

I provided both examples because the amount of use of either is totally determined by my own unique circumstances. I find the PS4/Vita usage to be much more likely than a Steam streaming setup, but that's because that is how my house is setup. I too would be interested to see an article that shows how much people are really using this streaming feature witheir gaming hardware.
News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2015, 11:56 Jivaro
I don't understand why there is a comparison between the XBOX streaming and the Steam streaming. It's not a hardware selling feature, it's a feature someone would only use after they have the hardware. They buy the hardware because of the games. If they want to compare something maybe they should start there. I doubt that will happen though...

As for the whole Windows 10 privacy thing...Slick said it best. I can't add anything new to that.
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2015, 12:13 Jivaro
Julio wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 10:32:
Amazon Prime sales are pretty weak.

Yeah, this really comes across as a "we have a bunch of stuff that is either old, our brand, or both and we need to sell it all before the holidays to make space in the warehouse" sale.

Very few sales that rival Black Friday and even fewer that draw my attention. I haven't bought anything and I was pretty sure that I would find at least one thing.
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 15, 2015, 11:35 Jivaro
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 10:58:
Is there a good link with an very abbreviated version of what happened or if one doesn't mind to state it briefly. I would like to have a bit of a clue, even though I highly doubt I'd care to do anything about whatever it is at all. I guess members just get to wrapped up in the-site. Somehow I can just go in, browse a bit that I want, get out and go about life. But somehow something sinister has happened (a mod treated unfairly?) that we should care about that will rock Reddit to its very core. Seems like unneeded drama, but I don't really get it sort of like that gamergate thing.

1) Reddit exists.
2) Reddit decides that they will try to go as "Free Speech" as possible by burying the darker stuff and keeping the lighter stuff front and center. The idea being that if it's not there it will be somewhere else so why bother censoring anything that isn't illegal.
3) CONTROVERSY!!!! strikes and the CEO that supports this process resigns. (re: fired)
4) Irony!!! The people who were loudest about getting her to leave were the people she was allowing to exist on Reddit by upholding the policy.
5) Reddit executive/guy/editor/whatever gloats, basically telling everyone what I just typed. Apparently some people believed she wanted to ban all these things when in reality she was the one who was keeping them from being banned. He (this reddit guy) originally believed in the idea of letting it all go but came to believe that they should start banning quite a bit of it. The CEO disagreed. She's gone, so the bannings will now happen.
6) Reddit executive that is gloating is a close friend to the former CEO. CONSPIRACY!!!! theories begin.

That's the short version. I am sure there are plenty of people here that have a longer version or I am missing something or whatever but in the end...a CEO was preventing the banning of things, the people that benefited the most from that were the loudest about getting her fired, and now that's she is gone Reddit is kicking those people out. (or says they are going to) All the while a particular person at Reddit that has been around for all of it does his version of mic drop. A bit childish, but I can see why he is amused.

Not being a Reddit regular I have to all sounds sort of amusing. From a distance.
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2015, 12:50 Jivaro
That's amazing to think that was the last time the Raiders were any good.

Stabler was the QB during Madden's time. That was quite some time ago. Some great football happened back than, including a SB victory, but they had far more success in the mid-late 70s and 80s. The eighties in particular were very good to the Raiders, including their second and third Super Bowl victories in 1980 and 1983. They are tied for 4th most Super Bowl appearances overall, winning 3 of five total, the last being in 2002. All of that Gruden/Callahan stuff was part of a 3 year run as the AFC West champs and 2 years in a row at the AFC championship game.

Yes, the Raiders have sucked for just over a decade-ish but they spent 30 years riding pretty high with Stabler being the guy who was part of starting it all. That's why he is so revered in the Bay Area. When he was playing the AFL-NFL merger had just happened. Stabler (and the rest of the team) gave the AFL Raiders and Al Davis credibility. He was part of a Madden team that created the attitude and the reputation. He was a part of a new generation of flashy/throwing quarterbacks. Those early wins made it so Davis could go get other players and eventually the Hall of Fame coach Tom Flores that led them to the next two Super Bowl victories.

The Raiders didn't stop being good after Stabler, they continued to be great because of guys like him. They have sucked for 12 years because Al Davis succumbed to age and his silver spoon son has no fucking idea how to run a sports team.
2139 Comments. 107 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo