Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 1681 (Pro)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Hangar Module Released
32. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 14:52 Jivaro

It's an alpha, a test, and it came with a shit ton of disclaimers saying as much. If you find a bug, report it in the appropriate section of the forums...that is the point of the release.

Not to be "that guy", because really I am not trying to be a dick, but if that kind of thing is going to rub you wrong I suggest skipping everything they release until the game goes final. I suspect that this will be a bumpy and long alpha/beta process. They have been pretty straight up about that since the beginning. If this was "rushed", it would have been out 3 months ago and I doubt seriously the code has been streamlined.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2013, 14:59.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 14:44 Jivaro

I finally got in. My ship is a beauty. The motion blur makes me seasick. The graphics are purdy.

Beyond that...I kind of feel like the kid that was given a mustang convertible for his 16th birthday, but then told he can't drive it until he is 18.

23. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 13:53 Jivaro

I am fully aware of Squadron 42, I just think that RSI's definition of "detailed campaign" and what the folks in this thread are hoping for are significantly different. I hope that isn't the case, but I think it is.

I am also aware of their mod promises. I have not seen anything that leads me to believe that it extends to full length single player campaigns, just assets like gear, ships, etc. I probably missed something though, the amount of time I spend following this game is limited to skimming the update emails I get occasionally. If you have a link to something that specifies more than that I would love to see it. The community's ability to mod the game, private server or not, is one of the aspects I find most intriguing. edit: and thank you for the guide link

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2013, 14:04.

20. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 13:40 Jivaro

All I have is the 300i Bounty Hunter. I have yet to see it though, I am one of the unlucky that can't get connected at all.  

18. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 13:38 Jivaro

For those having trouble connecting, a few people have had success going to the install folder and removing the "launcher.version" file. Upon restarting the launcher the game, of course, is forced to patch. For whatever reason I guess some folks are not getting a complete version of program the first time they download and install.

Some folks are saying that this fixed their problem, some folks are saying that it did indeed lead to them downloading an additional amount of info, but they still couldn't connect. I just thought I would throw it out there for anyone who wanted to give it a go. It obviously won't solve the problem of the servers simply being overwhelmed and thus not connecting. (if that is indeed the root cause)

16. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 13:05 Jivaro

nin wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 12:56:
Cutter wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 12:33:
Much as I don't trust Roberts or this game I must admit this is a brilliant move.

I agree. Great way to show progress. I'll have to grab this later this weekend...this might be the final straw that forces me to upgrade/buy another ship.

I think you have to have an account and a ship to use it Nin. I might be wrong...but I am pretty sure you do. This is "technically" considered part of the alpha testing, not a demo.

12. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 12:48 Jivaro

Honestly, if you're hanging everything on single player I think you are going to be disappointed. I think Star Citizen will be fun, but long term I doubt very much that will be their focus. I understand the curiosity but it has to be apparent to you folks by now, given everything they have said and the business model, that Star Citizen is mainly an origin story+tutorial meant to launch you into the game.

Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised, but I doubt very much that it will be very long or very deep. I am looking forward to the game very much, multiplayer and all, and a deep single player campaign would be awesome. I just don't think it's going to happen, if for no other reason then I think they would be bragging about it all over the place by now if it was going to happen.

To me, what would ultimately be very cool is if they offered up single player modules that you could download and play. Perhaps even player created scenarios. If that were to happen however I think it would be very far down the road after the game is already a proven success. I also think any RSI produced modules would probably cost money.

As for the whole "Maybe I will go buy X Rebirth instead..." thing: Why only buy one? In my world, the kids go without food before I pass up a space combat simulator.*

*Joking. Sort of. Usually.

7. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 11:52 Jivaro

NKD wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 11:44:
Servers kinda hosed at the moment it seems.

It would seem. They warned everyone that it might be buggy etc, but I think they underestimated how many people would want to walk around and stare at the shinys.

News Comments > LEGO Minifigures Online Announced
3. Re: LEGO Minifigures Online Announced Aug 29, 2013, 22:52 Jivaro

I know LEGO is a Danish company and that makes them neighbors/kindred spirits etc...but Funcom? Really? That was their best choice in partners?  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 29, 2013, 13:01 Jivaro

I am not buying any of the "new" consoles any time soon as I too find console launches to be underwhelming and needlessly expensive...BUT...

If you pointed a gun at my head and said "pick a next gen console to buy as soon as possible", it would be the PS4. I just don't trust Microsoft not to simply 180 every single thing they already 180'd on. I might get a XBONE eventually, but a couple of years is going to have to go by so I can see what MS's long term business model is going to become. The WiiU is going to end up in my living room eventually, but the game library is going to have to expand a bit more. Specifically their exclusive titles. I really don't care about 3rd party games on a Nintendo console. I care about their franchises that I can't get anywhere else. HD remakes of existing games won't sell me a new system.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Aug 29, 2013, 11:33 Jivaro

The question is this: Which would be worse..the movie or the game?  

News Comments > Diablo III 2.0 Details
1. Re: Diablo III 2.0 Details Aug 29, 2013, 11:32 Jivaro

I promise baby..I won't hit you no more...give me another chance...  

News Comments > FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response
27. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 12:10 Jivaro

There is no doubt that the "new" game is better than the "old" game. How much better is a matter of opinion of course. Beta was encouraging from the perspective of actually being able to see positive change that players were actually asking for. It is nice looking and the world is brought to life well.

All of that said, it doesn't exactly innovate. As a person who is familiar with the Final Fantasy games but not what anyone would call a "fan", I think perhaps some of the charm of the game is lost on me. I find the combat boring and the leveling process is coma inducing. Perhaps someone who has had a chance to make it to a higher level would have a more positive take, but my opinion is that the game is still very generic and I don't see anyone but the Final Fantasy Fanatics being willing to pay a sub for it.

News Comments > DayZ's Real-Life Survival Inspiration
3. Re: DayZ's Real-Life Survival Inspiration Aug 28, 2013, 10:23 Jivaro

"You desire to know the art of living, my friend? It is contained in one phrase: make use of suffering." -Henri-Frederic Amiel

Seems Dean Hall is making use of his suffering.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 15:01 Jivaro

Don't forget "screen rumble". Right up there with bloom and motion blur for the Most Annoying Feature award. I hate it when I am playing a game and the damn screen looks like they are trying to re-enact an episode from Star Trek:ToS.

Not sure if it actually affects performance...but still..hate that crap.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 12:22 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 11:21:
Jivaro wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 10:28:
I imagine that with a new generation of consoles coming, a whole lot of gamers that have been riding the same gaming rig for 2+ years are going to have to do upgrades in the next year or so.

How so? A two year old PC is pretty likely still more powerful than the "next-gen" consoles.

If you want to call it 3+ or 4+ or whatever, go for it. If someone bought high end 2 years ago, sure, they can probably leave their machine alone. If they went "value" because nothing they wanted to play was using high end power and they wanted (or needed) to spend their money something else, then perhaps they are looking at a different picture today because for the first time in a very long time the tech requirements of multi-platform games are going to take a noticeable jump. (Which is why I said "a lot" and not "most" or "the majority of") That was all my point was. I mean, I have friends upgrading their PCs to play Elder Scrolls Online...which isn't exactly a beast of tech requirements. Their machines are only 2 to 3 years old. Doesn't take much thought to figure out what kind of machine they bought in the first place.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 10:28 Jivaro

I imagine that with a new generation of consoles coming, a whole lot of gamers that have been riding the same gaming rig for 2+ years are going to have to do upgrades in the next year or so.

I am going to be switching to a SSD hard drive and I will probably make a switch in video cards as well. Other than that, unless something dramatic happens to the machine itself I will probably ride the core components of my rig for another few years since it's technical specs are above the requirements for all the known future releases I have on my "watch list".

News Comments > Avadon 2: The Corruption Trailer
1. Re: Avadon 2: The Corruption Trailer Aug 26, 2013, 21:50 Jivaro

WOOT! Love Spiderweb's games.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
28. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 12:38 Jivaro

I have been reading through a bunch of notes and articles about stockholder meetings this morning. Beamer's assertion got me curious.

It would seem that there were plenty of "small" investors that would ask questions at the shareholders' meetings like "why should we keep our stock?" and other more pointed questions...but it never seems to be taken very seriously or even really answered. As an example, one lady spent some time really laying it on thick, made it sound like her retirement was lost, asked Ballmer why she should bother to stay invested and his reply was vague, indirect, unsympathetic, and terse. This appears to have happened often over the years but there doesn't seem to be any concern shown by Ballmer or MS in general. Forbes and Quarts often quote these folks which leads to an impression that investors are unhappy, but nothing ever really seems to be taken seriously or have any impact on the direction of MS.

I could find no evidence that any of the major players were voicing much in the way of concern other than an episode in 2011 where hedge fund manager David Einhorn of Greenlight Capital publicly called for Ballmer’s removal. That made for some good headlines but it didn't go very far obviously. (which of course proves Beamer's point)

This past July that appears to have changed. ValueAct wanted a board seat and Capital Research supported the idea. There was a lot of frustration with the company's choice of focus. I didn't read enough to see how that all turned out but the articles I did read made it sound like even though Ballmer was handling those negotiations personally, he and the company were resisting the idea. I guess opening 600 retail stores inside of Best Buy has been quite a dividing point among the bigger players. Interestingly enough they also seem to be annoyed because they feel Ballmer puts too much focus on consumer products rather than enterprise.

Bottom line: He seemed to have the major players' support, despite individual shareholders complaints and a long term weakening of the stock overall. In July, after announcing a 900 million dollar write off and a 33.7 billion dollar loss in market value, he lost his support among the largest shareholders. Here we are in August and he announces his retirement in the coming months saying that MS needs someone else to take them where they need to go.

Given all of that, I have to wonder about the future of those 600 retail stores and the Surface. A new CEO could make a lot of friends in the right places by cutting that kind of fat it would seem.

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2013, 12:49.

News Comments > BF4 Gamescom Details Wrap-up
5. Re: BF4 Gamescom Details Wrap-up Aug 26, 2013, 11:56 Jivaro

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 11:15:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=battlefield+4+voip

lol... well played sir.

1681 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo