Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 1667 (Pro)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 15:01 Jivaro

Don't forget "screen rumble". Right up there with bloom and motion blur for the Most Annoying Feature award. I hate it when I am playing a game and the damn screen looks like they are trying to re-enact an episode from Star Trek:ToS.

Not sure if it actually affects performance...but still..hate that crap.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 12:22 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 11:21:
Jivaro wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 10:28:
I imagine that with a new generation of consoles coming, a whole lot of gamers that have been riding the same gaming rig for 2+ years are going to have to do upgrades in the next year or so.

How so? A two year old PC is pretty likely still more powerful than the "next-gen" consoles.

If you want to call it 3+ or 4+ or whatever, go for it. If someone bought high end 2 years ago, sure, they can probably leave their machine alone. If they went "value" because nothing they wanted to play was using high end power and they wanted (or needed) to spend their money something else, then perhaps they are looking at a different picture today because for the first time in a very long time the tech requirements of multi-platform games are going to take a noticeable jump. (Which is why I said "a lot" and not "most" or "the majority of") That was all my point was. I mean, I have friends upgrading their PCs to play Elder Scrolls Online...which isn't exactly a beast of tech requirements. Their machines are only 2 to 3 years old. Doesn't take much thought to figure out what kind of machine they bought in the first place.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 10:28 Jivaro

I imagine that with a new generation of consoles coming, a whole lot of gamers that have been riding the same gaming rig for 2+ years are going to have to do upgrades in the next year or so.

I am going to be switching to a SSD hard drive and I will probably make a switch in video cards as well. Other than that, unless something dramatic happens to the machine itself I will probably ride the core components of my rig for another few years since it's technical specs are above the requirements for all the known future releases I have on my "watch list".

News Comments > Avadon 2: The Corruption Trailer
1. Re: Avadon 2: The Corruption Trailer Aug 26, 2013, 21:50 Jivaro

WOOT! Love Spiderweb's games.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
28. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 12:38 Jivaro

I have been reading through a bunch of notes and articles about stockholder meetings this morning. Beamer's assertion got me curious.

It would seem that there were plenty of "small" investors that would ask questions at the shareholders' meetings like "why should we keep our stock?" and other more pointed questions...but it never seems to be taken very seriously or even really answered. As an example, one lady spent some time really laying it on thick, made it sound like her retirement was lost, asked Ballmer why she should bother to stay invested and his reply was vague, indirect, unsympathetic, and terse. This appears to have happened often over the years but there doesn't seem to be any concern shown by Ballmer or MS in general. Forbes and Quarts often quote these folks which leads to an impression that investors are unhappy, but nothing ever really seems to be taken seriously or have any impact on the direction of MS.

I could find no evidence that any of the major players were voicing much in the way of concern other than an episode in 2011 where hedge fund manager David Einhorn of Greenlight Capital publicly called for Ballmer’s removal. That made for some good headlines but it didn't go very far obviously. (which of course proves Beamer's point)

This past July that appears to have changed. ValueAct wanted a board seat and Capital Research supported the idea. There was a lot of frustration with the company's choice of focus. I didn't read enough to see how that all turned out but the articles I did read made it sound like even though Ballmer was handling those negotiations personally, he and the company were resisting the idea. I guess opening 600 retail stores inside of Best Buy has been quite a dividing point among the bigger players. Interestingly enough they also seem to be annoyed because they feel Ballmer puts too much focus on consumer products rather than enterprise.

Bottom line: He seemed to have the major players' support, despite individual shareholders complaints and a long term weakening of the stock overall. In July, after announcing a 900 million dollar write off and a 33.7 billion dollar loss in market value, he lost his support among the largest shareholders. Here we are in August and he announces his retirement in the coming months saying that MS needs someone else to take them where they need to go.

Given all of that, I have to wonder about the future of those 600 retail stores and the Surface. A new CEO could make a lot of friends in the right places by cutting that kind of fat it would seem.

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2013, 12:49.

News Comments > BF4 Gamescom Details Wrap-up
5. Re: BF4 Gamescom Details Wrap-up Aug 26, 2013, 11:56 Jivaro

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 11:15:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=battlefield+4+voip

lol... well played sir.

25. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 10:23 Jivaro

You are correct Quboid, and Verno explained my angle better than I did.  

21. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 03:00 Jivaro

You are right Beamer, I can't speak to "dividends". I will have to take your word for it that dividends matter when it comes to measuring the success of a CEO and whether or not he has been bad or good for a company. Forbes, WSJ, and others have not mentioned them in anything I have read since his announcement. They have been speaking to the stock prices, particularly the difference between them when he took over and what they are now and how they jumped when he announced he was leaving, they always have as far as I have seen. Those of course make for the best headlines and catchy phrases, regardless of their actual value in the big picture, and subsequently may not mean a damn thing. If you are correct, that would explain how he has held his job through so many failures and disappointments. There usually is a bigger picture that explains the unexplainable. It doesn't change my bottom line, which is that he has been terrible for the company. Rich people might have gotten mildly richer while he was in the chair, but the company is looking at some big problems that they could have easily avoided.  

18. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 25, 2013, 23:28 Jivaro

Flatline, I am not forgetting anything, and in fact that very situation proves the point regarding Ballmer, MS, and missed opportunities.

MS chose to be the bully on the block and push a monopoly on people through illegal means rather than through product innovation and value. Had they chose the latter rather than the former they would most likely still have their huge market percentage and they would not have been sued/fined. Because they chose the path they did they gave the competition the window of opportunity they needed to gain not just a small piece of the pie but a very large one.

The situation rather definitively demonstrates the entire view on Steve Ballmer. There is nothing selective about my recollection. It was a bad call by MS and it killed them long term. Too much energy focused on telling people what to do and not enough energy focused on giving them a reason to do it. The story of Ballmer's reign in a nutshell.

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2013, 01:51.

14. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 25, 2013, 21:21 Jivaro

Quboid wrote on Aug 25, 2013, 21:15:
Jivaro wrote on Aug 25, 2013, 20:31:
Windows Phones have gone nowhere under his watch. Android is filling the gaping hole that should have been Microsoft's foothold in the smartphone business. It is perhaps the biggest missed opportunity in the history of technology. Ballmer owns that.

I'd pick something else as the biggest missed opportunity in the history of technology, but also by Microsoft: Internet Explorer. They had 96% of the browser market in 2002 (according to Wikipedia, with no citation). Even if that's exaggerated and it was was "only" around 90% they practically had the world wide web in the palm of their hands and they pissed it away.

It took them years to release IE7 and it's taken them a decade to produce a browser which isn't bad. Not even good in any particular way, just no longer awful; and this without them having any real influence on how the web has developed. We'd all be using MSML (Microsoft Markup Language) instead of HTML if they'd played their cards right. Phew.

That is a fair point indeed. I was approaching the "missed opportunity" concept from the angle of "new venture" rather than "established venture". I would agree that IE is easily their biggest flop when it comes to having the market secured and yet managing to piss it away.

11. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 25, 2013, 20:31 Jivaro

CrashtestDummy....you obviously are not a stockholder, a tech that has to work with any of their products made in the last 10 years, or a gamer that remembers what PC gaming was like on Windows before the XBOX was released. Had you fallen into any of those 3 categories you wouldn't be so confused. If you do, then I have no idea how you can possibly be so oblivious as to why he "gets so much hate". On the surface of it your post makes it sound like you do indeed recognize at least some of his limitations, which confuses me to say the least. There was no point in MS's Ballmer history where the stockholders have been "happy". They have been at best "pacified", but they haven't had anything to be truly happy about in a long time. The Washington Post had an interesting article you should look up regarding all that.

But let's move beyond that. I will give some very black and white reasons for the hate, and most of them have nothing to do with gaming.

He alienated the people within his company and fired the ones that dared to tell him when he was missing the boat. Essentially, when nobody will tell you that you are wrong because they don't want to be fired, you can't be wrong until it's too late. Vista, Windows Phone, Zune, Windows 8, XBOX One....the list goes on and on of example of products that everybody knew had problems before release...except Steve Ballmer. How is that? edit: I forgot to mention the 900 million dollar write off due to the failure of the Surface.

Vista happened under his watch, and it shouldn't have. The guy that saved his ass with Windows 7 was the guy he threw under the bus for Windows 8. A pattern of behavior every executive in the company has noticed in their CEO from the day he took over.

Windows Phones have gone nowhere under his watch. Android is filling the gaping hole that should have been Microsoft's foothold in the smartphone business. It is perhaps the biggest missed opportunity in the history of technology. Ballmer owns that.

Despite Windows Messenger being alive and well when social media began to really grab the mainstream's attention, he dragged his feet again...called it frivolous...and missed the boat that Facebook and Twitter decided to catch. Part of that is MS's inability to properly grasp cloud networking, part of that was the assumption that the Windows and Microsoft name would keep people using Messenger despite it's limitations and lack of innovation. In either event, like the Windows Phone, this is an area that MS should have been a major player in. They are a bystander.

His "everybody for themselves" type of management pitted divisions against each other which led to massive problems and a lack of innovation. (google 'stack rating') Where they did choose to innovate always seemed to be places the customers didn't want them to touch, which is why so many people feel that Ballmer is responsible for a MS culture that believes they can dictate to the customer rather than looking at customer demands and trying to satisfy them.

I suggest you read the link for "Why Steve Ballmer Failed". If you can't understand at least 80% of the hate after that, you are simply choosing not to. This isn't about his looks, his salesman pitches, or his sweaty videos. These are very real and very justified criticisms.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 2013, 21:17.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 24, 2013, 13:26 Jivaro

Quboid wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 12:07:
This is like people who complain that their social media feed of choice is full of idiots. You're voluntarily following their posts, who's the biggest idiot here?

This.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions
30. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 23, 2013, 20:54 Jivaro

I have decided to go the snob route on this one. I was hoping this would be a sub game instead of F2P. With the way people have gotten accustomed to customizing their Elder Scrolls games, I am sure a in-game store with vanity items will do well for them, so I don't mind that either.

If the game sucks I won't be playing it regardless of whether it has a sub or not.

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Aug 23, 2013, 11:45 Jivaro

mch wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 10:05:
Haven't played Dead Space 3 or Mirror's Edge.

I found DS3 to be underwhelming personally. That said, I didn't find either of the first two games to be as good as many people did.

Mirror's Edge was a surprising bit of fun. Short and kinda awkward at times, but fun.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2013, 11:04 Jivaro

Not a horrible enough choice for me to rant, not a good enough choice for me to cheer. Just going to hope for the best and prepare for the worst...just like every other Ben Affleck movie ever made. He has a tendency to hit it out of the park or completely bomb. Superhero movies tend to do the same, generally speaking.

edit: and I agree, Keaton has been the best Batman. Like Gary Oldman, Keaton is an amazing character actor. As a side note, did you know he was the voice of "Ken" in Toy Story 3? For some reason I find that amusing.

News Comments > Everybody's Gone To The Rapture PS4
4. Re: Everybody's Gone To The <strike>Rapture</strike> PS4 Aug 22, 2013, 22:22 Jivaro

I get why some folks are opposed to indies doing exclusives, I just think it's an unreasonable expectation. When the real world comes knocking with an exclusive request and an ass ton of cash and you have never had an ass ton of cash before, you are going to take that deal. Every. Single. Time. I can't fault them for it in the least. Most indies will be floored that anyone wants their game enough to even ask for an exclusive, let alone offer to pay them for it.

It's a game, not the cure for cancer. They are making a game for a specific system, not making sure only the "special" people get the cure to a fatal disease.

I find the more compelling part of this story to be Sony's angle. They are absolutely crushing MS in the indie department. I would love to think that it's because they are supporting the little guys in the industry but I am guessing it has more to do with digital downloads and fantastic margins per sale.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts PC Dedicated Servers Planned
4. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts PC Dedicated Servers Planned Aug 22, 2013, 11:47 Jivaro

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 11:03:
This makes me wonder if TitanFall will have dedi servers and mod tools for the PC.

I admire your optimism and I won't be the one to piss in your Wheaties. Keep dreaming the dream.

News Comments > Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 in February 2014
4. Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 in February 2014 Aug 22, 2013, 04:15 Jivaro

Alamar wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 19:51:
I really need to sit down and get through the rest of the first game... Huge Castlevania fan, but mostly for the Platformer RPGs...

-Alamar

Lords of Shadow sounds like an awesome concept. On paper, it has all the potential in the world. God of War gamplay + Castlevania story and characters, it should be all win from there.

Rice Crispy treats and bacon are both awesome. If you made a bacon pie with a Rice Kripsie treat crust, that would suck. (I know, I did it...long story, college stoner thing...trust me, it sucks) Bottom line, two good things together don't always make another good thing.

Imo, it's good for some mindless fun but it is underwhelming overall. Particularly in the story/writing department.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 16, 2013, 11:06 Jivaro

Hitman: Absolution is one of this month's PS+ free games. I hadn't played it before, mostly because the reaction to it here seemed fairly "meh" and my Steam backlog is already ridiculous. Now that I have put a small amount of time into it on console I think I might go get it on PC as I am liking it, but I am certain I would like it much more with a mouse and keyboard.  

News Comments > Thief in February
9. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 11:02 Jivaro

They removed jumping? Who is making this..Bioware? Bracing myself for the inevitable CliffyB blog on why "expecting the ability to jump in a thief game is for douchebags".

All jokes aside, I am hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. Just like every other reboot, I am not buying until easily a month's worth of peer reviews come forward. (like from folks here!) Sorry to use you all like guinea pigs in advance.

1667 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo