Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 1538 (Pro)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Metro: Last Light DLC Next Week
1. Re: Metro: Last Light DLC Next Week Jul 10, 2013, 16:38 Jivaro

This game and 2033 are two games on a long list of "to be played" for me. Curiously, I just noticed that there are a lot of shooters in my backlog. (FPS or TPS) I seem to be putting the entire genre off to the side...without really consciously thinking about it. I haven't played Dishonored or Bioshock Infinite for example. I know I will like them, just haven't prioritized them.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > World of Warcraft PTR Updated - Microtransactions Confirmed
7. Re: World of Warcraft PTR Updated - Microtransactions Confirmed Jul 9, 2013, 11:18 Jivaro

Love it or hate it, the most obvious next move for WoW is the move to F2P. Doing so in steps by first introducing the in-game store doesn't only make sense, a bunch of other MMOs have done the same thing as they slowly converted from subs to F2P. The only thing surprising about this is that they didn't start doing this sooner.

Equally unsurprising will be the ocean of players and former players who get their panties in a twist over what other people are willing to pay for.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
36. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 8, 2013, 10:29 Jivaro

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 07:37:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 02:23:
Don't get the whole ignore thing myself.
Beyond the whole "living in a bubble" effect, it seems like admitting that some idiot's words can harm you.

I deal with idiots all day long at my job, last thing I want to do is continue that at home. I have better things to do.

+1

That said, I have nobody on my block list at this time. I tend to think of it more like "time out", taking people off the list 2 weeks or a month after they have been on it. In two of those cases it was for beating a dead horse with a dead horse that had been killed with a dead horse while screaming obscenities at anyone who was trying to tell them the horse was dead.

Block isn't going to change the person making the posts, in fact it changes next to nothing. The only thing it does is give me a small respite from something I find annoying. Should I let something like posts on the Internet get under my skin? No, probably not, but rather than bitch about people beating a dead horse I use a temporary block. *shrug*

I haven't ever blocked anyone for simply having a different opinion. That would make no sense. Why exactly would a person come to the discussion forums of a gaming website if it weren't to view the variety of opinions by fellow gamers on the topics of the day?

News Comments > New Neverwinter Campaign System Plans
10. Re: New Neverwinter Campaign System Plans Jul 8, 2013, 01:28 Jivaro

I have had the weirdest experience with this game.

I beta tested it. (thanks to Cutter again, that was his doing) I hated it. I even came here and bitched about it.

So fast forward to early last week. On a whim I jumped in again. A week later I am still playing. I have one of every currently available class going. Other than "leadership" I still think crafting is a complete joke, but the gameplay itself I have found strangely addictive. Not only that, my experience with the instance and skirmish que system has been brilliant. OK, it can take a while sometimes to get in, but the groups themselves have been just fine. I had one bad experience and really that was only because one particular person decided to be an ass and not because of the game itself. I hate PUGs with a passion. Always have. This has easily been my best experience with them, particularly in a relatively new game.

Like someone else said, I too spent money (10 bucks I think) on a couple of extra character slots. Nothing else. I see people on mounts etc, but I have yet to be tempted to do anything aside from extra bank slots. I have some coins left, but I am going to save them and see what races and classes they release in the future.

I am a harsh critic of Cryptic, and this game clearly has some growing to do, but I have to give credit where credit is due....I am having fun despite all of my previous bitching and preconceptions.

Now, will I still be having fun a month from now? I suppose that is something only time will tell. Staying power is what a lot of these new MMOs seem to lack.

edit: Forgot bout the foundry...love it. Another feature that is still evolving, but I love the concept and strongly approve of developers who do something like it. City of Heroes and Star Trek Online are the only other two games I have experience with something like this and I liked it in those as well. Exploits will be found, *shrug*, I don't use them and what other people decide to do with their time is not my concern. One of these days I will try one of the 5-man foundry missions and see if they are as fun as the solo missions I have been playing.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 7, 2013, 22:04 Jivaro

PHJF wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 17:03:
If one of them were your kids they'd already have broken all contact with you and be like 30 years old.

LMAO...

(sorry Cutter, but that is some funny shit right there....)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2013, 21:29 Jivaro

I live in the SF/Oakland Bay Area. I heard about and was checking for updates on the crash 5-10 minutes after it happened. You know who had the first info on the crash?

Not CNN. Not Fox. Not MSNBC or NBC. Not CBS, ABC...none of them. 20 minutes after the crash both CNN and Fox had yet to even report that it had happened.

IGN and ESPN. Of all the fucking sources in the world, a video game network and a sports network were posting updates on the crash first.

W.T.F....

And yeah..wow. When I first saw the pictures of the plane that David Eun posted on his twitter feed I was amazed that the death toll was so low. When KTVU (local network) finally got an airborne camera zoomed in on the crash site, I was even more startled. Terrible thing to happen, but it could have been so much worse.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition
16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition Jul 4, 2013, 13:12 Jivaro

JayDeath wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 06:41:
The real question is will my joystick cabinet work with the PC version? That would be just fantastic.

It will. I have seen a a couple of users post on the Steam forums that they are having mapping issues with the "ALT" key, but I am tempted to believe that they are user error issues not actual game issues. Even if it isn't, if it's a particular button I am sure there will be a patch. (community or otherwise)

Loved this game on my PS3, probably going to get it myself soon. Wonder if there will be any modding done for it like there was with the SSIV games.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition
15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition Jul 4, 2013, 13:07 Jivaro

InBlack wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 06:27:
Does it support keyboard or do I need to have a controller plugged in? I do have a Logitech dual action controller somewhere, but I have fond memories of setting up my keyboard keys and going balls out on MK3...:)

Yes, it has keyboard support. According to the forums anyway.

News Comments > Ubisoft Breached
11. Re: Ubisoft Breached Jul 3, 2013, 00:49 Jivaro

I got the email, which is weird. I do technically have a Uplay account but I don't actually have any games for it or that use it. I have not bought a Ubisoft game for some time.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 1, 2013, 21:40 Jivaro

Dan Mattrick has apparently decided that the problem wasn't his leadership over at XBOX One headquarters. The problem was that Microsoft needed him to be subtle in his attempts to trick gamers into spending money on games they won't actually own and services they don't actually want. Having been caught and then absorbed the full backlash from current XBOX 360 customers, he has now left for Zynga. The great thing about Zynga is that they are completely obvious about their attempts to trick customers into spending money on crappy games and unneeded services, so Mattrick should do just fine.

(somewhat sarcastic, somewhat serious)

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
13. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 29, 2013, 01:10 Jivaro

What is it with 3rd generation console hardware? It is like these companies run into some kind of brain block when they make their 3rd entry.

News Comments > Atlus Parent Files for Bankruptcy; Faces Fraud Charges
7. Re: Atlus Parent Files for Bankruptcy; Faces Fraud Charges Jun 27, 2013, 12:23 Jivaro

I know they will be okay, in terms of someone being willing to buy them up. What I always worry about is what the change will do to how a company functions and produces. They aren't just a developer or publisher, they are a distributor as well. Pegging them as a "JRPG" developer is seriously under-valuing their contribution to the industry. For example, they were the North American publisher for Demon's Souls. A list of games they have helped bring to market can be found here.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
38. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 26, 2013, 18:16 Jivaro

nin wrote on Jun 26, 2013, 15:56:
The fucking POST OFFICE can do it better than that.

*sometimes

Internet shopping has really increased the shipping traffic. When I moved to my neighborhood in Jan 2000 we saw a UPS delivery truck on my street probably 3 or 4 times a week. Thirteen years later all of the major shippers come down our street at least twice a day. Some companies have kept up with the demand better than others. Overall, I think they all do fairly well. I would probably choose the USPS last though. It is my experience, in this area, that they are pretty slow and not cost competitive.

33. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 26, 2013, 15:00 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Jun 26, 2013, 12:52:
Jivaro wrote on Jun 26, 2013, 12:25:
That isn't exactly fair. If they gave the systems to DHL in May, that should be more than enough time for these units to be delivered. Both Ouya and DHL have said as much. DHL's Operations Chief admitted that they are having problems making the deliveries in a timely fashion because of their own limitations regarding tracking, particularly for individual consumers as opposed to a large quantity sent to a single destination.

I worked for DHL for three years, in Holland, back in the 90s. The tracking capabilities of DHL even back then were fine. This idea that "tracking numbers don't start appearing until the item reaches the depot in the destination country" is complete crap, unless DHL somehow became completely retarded in the twenty years since I worked there.

And while this undoubtedly uses DHL Ground as opposed to the regular style DHL (since the shipment costs would be equal to the cost of the console), I still doubt that their ground service is THAT much worse than their "normal" service.

So I suspect that DHL is being used as an easy scapegoat here.

Creston

Creston, their own Chief of Operations, as in DHLs COO, is the one that said that they were to blame. They acknowledged the May receipt of the Ouyas, the problems with getting them individually delivered, and the fact that they were still going to take at least 2 weeks to deliver them. I am not sure the theory that a conspiracy to throw DHL off a bridge is really all that realistic.

News Comments > New GeForce Beta Drivers
8. Re: New GeForce Beta Drivers Jun 26, 2013, 12:56 Jivaro

I just installed this driver with my router turned off. My .Net was up to date. The official line from a Nvidia moderator on the forums is "If you pre-install .Net framework 4.0 from Microsoft, then I believe you can install the drivers offline." That is what I did, and it worked fine. The assertion that it is .Net that forces you to go online and not the drivers themselves appears to be wholly correct.

If it really bothers you or you can't seem to get it to work you can apparently use 7Zip to extract the driver package and apply it manually. I haven't tried it myself, but a quick Google search will show you that a few people have gone that route and list how they did it.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 2013, 13:02.

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 26, 2013, 12:25 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Jun 26, 2013, 11:03:
I am pissed. Some of you have not yet received your OUYA -- and, to you, I apologize," she wrote in a Kickstarter update. "I did not promise to ship to *most* of you before we hit store shelves. I promised to ship to *all* of you.

I am SO pissed that I shipped a ton of consoles out to Amazon and Gamestop, and didn't bother to take a few of those units out of their allotments to send to you. THAT'S how pissed I am!

Way to treat the people who helped start your business there, Uhrman. Really fucking classy.

Creston

That isn't exactly fair. If they gave the systems to DHL in May, that should be more than enough time for these units to be delivered. Both Ouya and DHL have said as much. DHL's Operations Chief admitted that they are having problems making the deliveries in a timely fashion because of their own limitations regarding tracking, particularly for individual consumers as opposed to a large quantity sent to a single destination.

If Ouya is to blame for anything, it is for picking a shipping partner that obviously is not capable of delivering on its obligations. There could very well be more to this, but at this point, it sure looks like Ouya did as much as is reasonably expected.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 2013, 12:30.

News Comments > WoW Security Warning
15. Re: WoW Security Warning Jun 25, 2013, 23:11 Jivaro

Quinn wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 19:01:
Jivaro wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 16:59:
Quinn wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 12:57:
People still play WoW?

People still complain about WoW?

Haha, indeed Although I've been one of the gamers that are defending WoW against the haters up until I played MoP. Like I said, fat monk pandas and Beer Elementals was too much for me. Way too much, in fact.

Yeah, I recently picked it back up, mainly out of curiosity. I hadn't played since the end of BC, so I had a lot to catch up on. It took me a little over a month to get 5 of my characters from 70 to 80+. One of them is now 85, and I am struggling to push further. I enjoyed the Wrath content, but the Cata content was fairly ho-hum and nothing about Panda has really grabbed me. I tried leveling a Monk class, even made it to like 35 or something. Didn't enjoy it. Probably going to end up dropping it again. Too much other stuff out there to play, no to mention a huge backlog in my Steam games.

10. Re: WoW Security Warning Jun 25, 2013, 16:59 Jivaro

Quinn wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 12:57:
People still play WoW?

People still complain about WoW?

4. Re: WoW Security Warning Jun 25, 2013, 12:25 Jivaro

I suspect the issue is that people who buy authenticators often set up their account so that it doesn't require the authenticator every time they log in. I am not saying that Blizzard hasn't ever had security issues of their own, I am sure they have. I am just pointing out that there are plenty of people who go and get an authenticator and then neuter it's effectiveness.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 24, 2013, 13:15 Jivaro

I will be disappointed if Ballmer makes it past Q1 of 2014. I won't be shocked or surprised if he does, but the arrogance that protrudes from Redmond, the series of missteps and general asshatery that has been coming from the executives in nearly every division, and the general failure of all of Microsoft's divisions to actually provide products that their core customer base can be excited about are all indications that the major changes need to happen at the top.

I agree with the skepticism of most people, it probably won't happen, but if there was ever a company that needed to make wholesale changes in environment and approach from the top down..it is Microsoft.

1538 Comments. 77 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo