Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 1693 (Pro)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > SteamOS Announced
7. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 13:34 Jivaro

Redmask wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 13:33:
Holy shit, I guess go big or go home.

My thoughts exactly. Very curious and somewhat excited to see where this goes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
40. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2013, 10:26 Jivaro

I think the 49ers are having a bit of a reality check. Winning in the NFL, even against the worst teams, is hard. With V. Davis out and the running game not really producing I imagine it is REALLY hard. In the last two games the defense has basically said "Run CK, I dare ya." and he hasn't been making them pay.

I think they will get it together but I think the Seahawks are showing a hell of a lot more heart, determination, and preparation then the 49ers right now. As a 49er fan, that really hurts to admit..lol.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
18. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 22, 2013, 22:40 Jivaro

cronik wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 21:42:
State of Decay is amazing, baby!

I read that in Dick Vitale's voice.

1. Re: Out of the Blue< Sep 21, 2013, 17:23 Jivaro

Holy hell...what I would do to have a new rig boot up and the biggest problem be activating Windows. Nearly 25 years of building machines and I always manage to do something stupid that takes me half a day to figure out how to remedy. (Which is why I later went in to selling hardware as a profession and not building hardware!)  

61. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2013, 16:19 Jivaro

Totally onboard with that.

edit: I should note that I haven't tried the sequel to Amnesia yet, which is why I didn't really comment on those games. I promised myself I wouldn't buy it until I completely finished the first game...something I haven't quite done yet. (embarrassingly enough)

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2013, 16:28.

58. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2013, 15:23 Jivaro

Edit: I hear ya Sepharo, but follow me on this. This post got much longer then I intended...I promise there is a point here...lol...

I think Quantic Dream is trying to use the video game medium in a way that is unique to the industry. It only works when the story is REALLY good, but so far that has been the case. I certainly wouldn't want all of my games to play the way their games do, but as long as they keep up the quality of their stories I am going to keep buying them.

As an example: Heavy Rain using the PlayStation Move was more than an interesting experiment, it was one of the most unique gaming experiences of the past console generation. This wasn't a game targeted at the stereotypical console gamer. This was a story using the unique attributes of the console platform to convey a story that is meant to be every bit as enveloping as a movie or book, perhaps more so because of the interactivity. As such, streamlining the controls so that their audience doesn't have to take their attention away from the story to control the game is essential. In a sense they are willfully saying "story first, the gameplay is something you shouldn't even think about". I am personally interested to see where they take that theory next, but not just because I liked Heavy Rain. I will come back to this in a minute.

Someone else on the same platform who has had a lot of critical acclaim for great storytelling is Naughty Dog, but they do it a bit differently. They have great stories, but they will make story concessions for the sake of gameplay in the same way that Hollywood will compromise on details for the sake of a flashy explosion. Naughty Dog has found a balance that really works for their target audience. That is a great thing. I have loved their last 4 games. But...

Here comes the "personal interest bit". My wife isn't a gamer and she has fibromyalgia. She doesn't game because every game she has tried that didn't set off her condition was just not interesting. She doesn't want to play games aimed at a 10 year old and she has about as much interest in the Sims as I do. (none) A Naughty Dog game sounds great to her, but using their current design approach it will never be something she can enjoy no matter how cool the premise sounds to her because of her condition. What Quantic Dream managed to do with Heavy Rain was connect with a non-gamer through a great story and despite her physical limitations she was able to fully enjoy the game as a whole. The controls, using the gamepad or the Move, were not something she ever had to even think about. (after the first hour of course) I don't think all video games need to do this, or even most of them, but I do think that it a great thing that someone has and that more someones probably will.

My point is that we can use words like "simplification", and I have in the past, but the developers have to recognize who their target audience is and decide what that audience wants from the control scheme. If the story is meant to be the draw the controls can't be a limitation, they have to be part of the experience in a way that you almost forget they are there. For all the jokes we long time gamers make about console gaming *dumbing* things down, the Wii using motion gaming as a gimmick, Bioware deciding that no one should be able to jump, etc....there are some very real success stories that came out of this past generation and many of them have everything to do with making gaming more attractive to more people and doing it in ways that actually improve the experience. If they actually improve the quality of the storytelling while making the games more inclusive, I just can't look at that with any kind of negative slant.

56. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2013, 14:06 Jivaro

nin wrote on Sep 21, 2013, 03:35:

Congrats on the house! That's no small feat, especially in this day and age.

Thanks man

I am very much looking forward to Two Souls. I have always been a huge fan of Quantic Dream. I own and enjoyed all of their previous games...even The Indigo Prophecy.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 21, 2013, 02:36 Jivaro

I actually believe that they do tend to turn them away, but I also believe that everyone should base all of their actions and buying decisions on the assumption that they turn it all over. If that makes any sense.

52. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2013, 02:32 Jivaro

I am really jealous of you Nin. I wanted to pre-order a PS4...actually I did pre-order one. Had to cancel it. Buying a house+upcoming holidays+daughter in college has effectively frozen my game spending for at least the next 5 months.

I haven't even played The Last of Us or Injustice or Ni No Kuni yet...and Beyond: Two Souls is coming on the 8th.....

Arg.

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2013, 22:30 Jivaro

I find it interesting that people are of the opinion that sites that make their money on the gaming industry and it's consumers should not comment or have an opinion about topics that in very real ways affect the gaming industry and it's consumers. I can't say I agree with that viewpoint. Then again, one of my favorite gaming sites was VE3D and from Billy to Robert to Andrew to Ohm to...well all of them spouted off on whatever they felt like. A few people use to complain about that too and I didn't understand it then either.

I recognize that quite a few of you believe that RPS is simply click-hunting, and that might even be true. It doesn't change my overall stance which is that I need sites like RPS to counterbalance sites like IGN.

News Comments > SimCity Cities of Tomorrow Announced
25. Re: SimCity Cities of Tomorrow Announced Sep 20, 2013, 18:42 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 11:13:
Optional nickname wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 11:04:
I need to simply buy ANNO 2070 from Ubisoft.

Yes. It's an incredibly awesome game. You can build such beautiful, beautiful cities. One warning though, the building options in just the default game are a bit sparse. It's well worth waiting for a sale so you can pick up all the DLC, because it adds TONS of customizing stuff.

But you can build truly gorgeous cities in it, and it's just fun to design them.

The Complete Edition is on sale through the Uplay store right now I believe.

News Comments > More on Steam Living Room Plans Next Week
8. Re: More on Steam Living Room Plans Next Week Sep 20, 2013, 15:14 Jivaro

Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 14:21:
Is anyone actually using Big Picture? Regularly? Semi? At all? I haven't touched it.

Yep. Gaming PC in the living room uses it. Works great and has made gaming in my living room tremendously easier overall.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 19, 2013, 23:41 Jivaro

Yeah, it doesn't really count as an apology when the only thing you are sorry about is that you didn't win. It is pretty obvious that he still thinks he was in the right, the rest of the world is just wrong.

His website is a whole other thing. Pretty sure that will blow up in his face as well...but I think that is probably his intention.

Too bad people will probably keep giving him attention, even if it is negative, because I think now that he has tasted his 15 minutes of fame he will continue to find ways to be an asshole so he can somehow keep tasting it.

Longswd wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 22:43:
Don't even get me started on his laughably transparent Buddhist hypocrisy.

Yeah, I thought he was attempting humor when I first read it...

News Comments > SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games
25. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 19, 2013, 17:53 Jivaro

Good for Sony. It is doomed to have some negative consequences unfortunately, but if gaming communities were better at self-policing there wouldn't be a need in the first place. Unfortunately, just like "real life", communities are terrible at that...particularly if the asshole happens to be the best tank/healer/etc. People let it pass or they even join in.

Slippery slope or not, it is a slope that must be navigated. This is just another example of the digital world evolving and it's participants having to adapt as well. Maybe in a year Sony decides they can't possibly approach this situation in this way. Doesn't matter. I am just glad that they are at least addressing it instead of putting their head in the sand.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2013, 16:15 Jivaro

The new Humble Bundle is pretty swank...All of the X games for 6 bucks or more. I only had X3 Reunion, so this is pretty cool.

Everything is done in two codes, so it is pretty much all or nothing. Just an FYI. Each game doesn't get a separate Steam code.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2013, 15:36 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 11:45:
Jivaro wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 11:44:
Can somebody post a link to the football site? I cleared my history/cache etc during some problem solving stuff last night and apparently I never bookmarked the page. (apparently I don't recall the name of the site either) Thanks

BeatTheInsiders.com

Thanks

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2013, 11:44 Jivaro

Can somebody post a link to the football site? I cleared my history/cache etc during some problem solving stuff last night and apparently I never bookmarked the page. (apparently I don't recall the name of the site either) Thanks  

News Comments > Arma Tactics Early Access Begins; Release Next Month
9. Re: Arma Tactics Early Access Begins; Release Next Month Sep 18, 2013, 19:53 Jivaro

Whiskers wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 09:04:
It's been out on android and iOS for a while. Here are a few reviews for that. I imagine much hasn't changed.

http://www.148apps.com/reviews/arma-tactics-review/
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Arma+Tactics/review.asp?c=53784

I saw the first review previously and didn't think it was all that relevant since it complains about the controls largely, which I would imagine are quite a bit different on a PC.

The more helpful review is the second one from pocketgamer, which I hadn't seen. I hope they iron out some of those glaring flaws in the beta because "on paper" this sounds like a fun game.

News Comments > Arma Tactics Early Access Begins; Release Next Month
4. Re: Arma Tactics Early Access Begins; Release Next Month Sep 17, 2013, 23:36 Jivaro

This totally looks like my kind of deal..would be very interested in hearing opinions if anybody from around here is actually in the beta.  

News Comments > New EA CEO
1. Re: New EA CEO Sep 17, 2013, 20:50 Jivaro

It is actually a very interesting choice.  

1693 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo