Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 1540 (Pro)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Fez II Cancelled
32. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 28, 2013, 19:18 Jivaro

(I am about to go look at a house I hope to buy (yeah me!!) but I have like 4 quick thoughts on this I am gonna spit out because I am feeling self-important and under caffeinated)

First: I think he makes Fez 2. In fact, I think this is all just a stupid stunt. Call me cynical.

Second: If it is legit and he really is this much of thin skinned pansy, some obvious life lessons apply. If you are going to dish it out, you have to be able to take it. Not just once, but 100x whatever it is. There is a difference between being blunt and being rude. They are two separate things that are not mutually dependant. If you decide that you can't bother to be blunt without being rude don't expect the world to bother being anything but rude to you.

Third: The world is full of unjustified assholery. It had it long before the Internet, trolls, journalists, or even the written word. You want to be a public figure and make some bank? That generally ups your odds of dealing with megatons of dickheads. Being a dickhead back doesn't help. In fact, generally speaking, "nice-ing" people to death seems to be the most effective way to make trolls crawl back under their bridges. "I am an asshole? Cool story bro, have a cookie. I baked them myself." That works a ton better than "compare your life to mine and kill yourself". Why? People like cookies I guess.

Last: Again, assuming that this is legit and not some really lame stunt, I wonder how many jobs he will quit before he realizes that he is being an opinionated jerk in some weird attempt at compensating for his own insecurities. The reaction from the press and the public to what comes out of his mouth will not be any better coming from coworkers and customers in any other industry. It might be more measured and less dramatic, but it will be equally negative.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Buys Back Stock
19. Re: Activision Blizzard Buys Back Stock Jul 26, 2013, 12:49 Jivaro

Kalthorn wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 12:36:
Not that I can tell what the end of it means, but doesn't paragraph two explicitly state that they are still going to start this new arrangement off with $1.x billion in debt?

They had it anyway, Vivendi or not, as far as I can tell. I am no expert though. Even if they didn't, that is a smaller number than what Vivendi was looking to take.

17. Re: Activision Blizzard Buys Back Stock Jul 26, 2013, 12:36 Jivaro

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 12:28:
ASeven wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 12:22:
Kotick was pretty smart here and killed two birds with one stone. Pretty much this was the only move he could make where ActiBlizz could come out as a winner.

I'm pretty sure this was actually what Vivendi wanted. It's pretty common to announce some batshit insane plan to force stockholders to do what you want them to.

That is what I assumed as well. Can't see why Vivendi's plans to raid the coffers would have been leaked to the press if this wasn't the plan all along.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 26, 2013, 12:19 Jivaro

Those are indeed fair points Verno. I tend to think that they had to aim high to get in the race, but that doesn't excuse making promises they knew wouldn't happen. For example, I have no problem with them trying to place themselves on the shelves with Sony or MS, and I have no problem with them saying certain AAA titles are possible with the Ouya. I would have reservations about using specific titles, like a Minecraft that has been successful on both mobile and console platforms, when there isn't already a deal in place to make sure that it will actually come to the Ouya.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2013, 12:37.

12. Re: Activision Blizzard Buys Back Stock Jul 26, 2013, 11:52 Jivaro

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 11:19:
But they get to keep their new billion $ debt.. haha... pwned by Vivendi in all ways possible....

I am sorry, I don't follow your logic. Can you explain that one to me? Vivendi can't raid them for money, now or in the future. New investors bought the stock. Those investors own that. They aren't in debt to themselves. Yes Vivendi gets the cash infusion of selling that stock, but I am not sure I follow how Acti-Blizz has absorbed any debt. Maybe I am missing something.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 26, 2013, 11:42 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 11:03:
Why?

It does exactly what they it would do. Adding demands like "first party games" is unrealistic given the origins of this hardware. Had it been a Google (or Valve) project with a bunch of money behind it, that changes. So basically, your criticisms are completely valid but they also prove my point. I find it to be unjust because this whole situation is basically the textbook example of why a small company can't get into the console hardware business without a mega-corporation of some sort bankrolling them. They can't just make the hardware and let it ride, they have to make software too. The folks behind Ouya, as you correctly pointed out, aren't doing that. They can't. They have other problems with the business model, but this is the big one.

This situation shows a glaring weakness in Kickstarter hardware projects. Why are 73% of the people that bought a Ouya not investing anymore money in it? (buying games) I loved the concept, I didn't Kickstart it. Why? Because I saw where this was going. Not just the first party games issue either. I also didn't see how getting into a market that revolves around quick mobile games worked for a device that wasn't mobile. A bunch of other people read the business model and concept, got all excited, Kickstarted it, and now they are bailing out even though the Ouya is exactly what it said it would be. I find that interesting and a bit sad.

On a different note, perhaps someone here can clear something up for me so I don't actually have to put any effort into finding the answer. (lol?) If I buy a game on Google Play currently, I can load it on any Android device I own. For example, I own a great little shooter called Plasma Sky that I primarily play on my SG3, but I can also play it on a tablet. My question is this: Can I play it on the Ouya without re-purchasing it? Are people not buying games for Ouya because they are simply loading up their existing library or is that not how it works? Since I didn't buy one, I am unclear on this particular part of the concept.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2013, 12:21.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. Online Announced
21. Re: F.E.A.R. Online Announced Jul 26, 2013, 10:48 Jivaro

SlimRam wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 19:53:
I got dibs on playing the creepy little girl Alma; My attack will be a black projectile vomit while teleporting behind players and whispering " This game blows".

C'mon, this IS the game we've been waiting for...

You win +1000 Internet points sir. My vote for comment of the day.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 26, 2013, 10:38 Jivaro

While I never agreed with Axis's predictions regarding the Ouya, I will say that if there was any real justice in the world...the Ouya would be a mainstream hit. If it had been called the "Goodle Ouya" instead of being some indy kickstarter project I think it might have done much better.

Who knows, maybe I have been smoking the same shit as Axis.

5. Re: Activision Blizzard Buys Back Stock Jul 26, 2013, 10:33 Jivaro

InBlack wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 10:12:
Well it was pretty clear now that they were simply waiting for Vivendi to sadle its debt on ActiBlizz, which would drive the shareprice waaay down. Not really sure how to feel about this, I guess I shouldnt give a fuck about it, since nothing has changed at all except that now ActiBlizz has even more owners than before...

I know I am over-simplifying but just like Atari selling off franchises is good because someone other than Atari now owns those franchises....this is good because someone other than Vivendi owns the stock.

I am defining good as "preventing things from getting worse" rather than "things actually getting better". I suppose whether or not that is actually good is completely debatable.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. Online Announced
14. Re: F.E.A.R. Online Announced Jul 25, 2013, 15:07 Jivaro

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 12:53:
It's a game noone asked for. And that sort of issue rarely turns out well.

This. Somebody at Aeria Games must be an amazing pitchman.

News Comments > Torchlight II Sells 2 Million
9. Re: Torchlight II Sells 2 Million Jul 25, 2013, 11:09 Jivaro

They delivered the game they said they would at the price they said they would. That just doesn't happen often enough in this industry for me to nitpick over things that were never expected in the first place. The goal was just to make more of the original Torchlight with multiplayer and modding tools. Mission accomplished. I am glad it sold so well and I hope they actually made some money off of it.  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jul 25, 2013, 03:48 Jivaro

I say it depends on your definition of "drone".  

News Comments > Gone Gold - Saints Row IV
6. Re: Gone Gold - Saints Row IV Jul 24, 2013, 16:53 Jivaro

Sometimes the fact that a game is fun overrides all the completely fair criticisms. This series reuses itself, rips off others, and has some of the most juvenile and derivative humor you will see in a mainstream video game. It wears those facts like a badge of honor in the same way that Deadpool doesn't just "break the fourth wall", he demolishes it with a sledgehammer.

Which just made me think of the craziest cross-over ever: Saints+Deadpool. That would have the potential to be the most insane game ever. I don't have enough hyperbole in my vocabulary to even describe the potential there.

News Comments > StarCraft II Birthday Party
5. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 10:43 Jivaro

nin wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 09:23:
I thought "oh yeah, I never did get around to playing that..."

Me neither, I did the single player demo and that is all. I played the original quite a bit but I wasn't a huge fan. I often played the original at a LAN party only because it was what everyone else wanted to play, not because it was my personal first choice. Today there are so many other games competing for my time and money, when the original came out that really wasn't the case. Starcraft 2, in the demo, didn't stir any excitement within me and seemed like just more of the same. (which as I understand it, that is what the core fans wanted so I am not criticizing) This is most likely because as a gamer I am not focused on multiplayer, which is where this game apparently really shines.

Maybe once all the various expansion packs are out I will revisit it. If I could catch it on even a slight sale, a single player campaign spanning three editions would probably be pretty fun and worth the money.

News Comments > Homeworld HD and Homeworld 2 HD Announced
37. Re: Homeworld HD and Homeworld 2 HD Announced Jul 23, 2013, 01:44 Jivaro

Quboid wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 10:23:
Perhaps the project leaders can't get the backing for a whole new Homeworld game, so they are testing the water and as Wenzil says, building up the technology.

Do these make much money? They tend to be greeted with more excitement when they're announced than when they're released.

I would be willing to believe that this is indeed a market test, and I too would be curious to see the numbers on PC re-mastered games.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 22, 2013, 18:35 Jivaro

I would resist giving up my tablet, but it would go before my paperwhite Kindle. I want to be able to read outdoors. I have yet to read on anything that can do that without glare or eyestrain except a paperwhite Kindle. (disclaimer: never used a Sony reader)  

News Comments > Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited
6. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 10:20 Jivaro

As long as someone else other than Atari has them it is an improvement.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
21. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 21, 2013, 20:16 Jivaro

My account: "Over the last 9 years, you've spent 3070.1 hours playing this selection, which includes 248 items, is valued at $2756.28, and requires 777.38 GB."

Prez is way too hardcore for me...I am not anywhere close.

News Comments > Homeworld HD and Homeworld 2 HD Announced
34. Re: Homeworld HD and Homeworld 2 HD Announced Jul 21, 2013, 14:31 Jivaro

To me, if offering a HD version of classic older games is what gets a new generation of wallets customers to play, appreciate, and become interested in well crafted games like this one then I am all for it. If all it does it get the same players to re-buy the game, I am not sure I see the point. It would be interesting to see which is more common...the veteran or the virgin.

The HD versions of games like Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are the only reason my 19 year old nephew ever played them. It exposed him to gaming of a different quality and it has affected his purchasing choices. Now he expects more from games and he pays more attention to who makes them. That is great and all, but I wonder how common that really is. The enthusiast in me wants to believe that gaming has aged to the point that the classics will continue to be re-mastered and re-released to new generations, much like the Monopoly or Life board games, because they are timeless and that is how you get new generations to play them. The cynic in me thinks it is a complete cash grab being employed because pre-existing assets make development cheaper, faster, and doable with smaller teams.

News Comments > New Borderlands 2 DLC Announced
52. Re: New Borderlands 2 DLC Announced Jul 21, 2013, 12:35 Jivaro

I solve the problems I have with "Season Passes" by not buying them. Nobody, not a single developer or publisher, has earned enough trust from me to give them money without knowing the details of what I will get in return or having control over what exactly it gets me. If a Season Pass was defined as something like "Four DLC packs, mix and match", that might change my mind. For example, they say they are going to make 8 DLC packs and you can use your Season Pass to pick 4, depending on the price point and game type that might be tempting. Another example would be if a Season Pass was not announced until after the 4 DLC were released and it was just a discounted price, that might change my mind. In fact, the few season passes I have purchased have essentially been exactly that. I have simply waited to do it until after the included content is released. Borderlands 2 is good example. The only DLC I had for that up until very recently was the Mechromancer. (favorite class) It wasn't until Tiny Tina's DLC and a deep price discount that I felt that the Season Pass was worth the cost based on peer reviews of the DLC.

The problem with buying a Season Pass without knowing the details of the DLC releases is that between outsourcing and multiplayer only content...there is just too much DLC I don't care about. This erases any value in the Season Pass concept as it is used today by most companies.

The practice of simply waiting hasn't cost me any additional money yet as the few season passes I have bought were a)after the DLC included was detailed and b)discounted heavily. I understand where Itburns is coming from, but honestly, if these companies can put this stuff out there and people are willing to buy it...more power to them. I know many of us here like to bitch about the various ways the AAA companies take advantage of the underinformed mainstream customer base, but that is just how business is, in any market segment. It just isn't something I can find a way to get incensed about. To me, if the mainstream/casual gamers don't care enough about their money to do something about this obvious cash grabbing...then why should I? I suppose it helps that I am not one of those people that has to have something the day it comes out. Whether I get it day 1 or day 101 really doesn't make a difference to me anymore. If I was more into multiplayer I suppose that would change things a bit.

1540 Comments. 77 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo