Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 1540 (Pro)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Carmack has left id! Aug 7, 2013, 11:33 Jivaro

Rigs wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 11:17:
Not related, but not posted yet - John Carmack has left id!

http://bit.ly/14jAUyP

=-Rigs-=

Err, no he hasn't. At least not according to your link. Maybe it was updated after your post?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 11:32 Jivaro

Blue, your story is exactly what basically every retail company that maintains an online store has done or is doing. Instead of designing a system where retail and the web store work in parallel, companies make them compete against each other. Corporate rarely gives retail stores a way to settle situations like yours where the loss doesn't come out of their bottom line. You look at it as "only 13 bucks", but they are looking at it from a much bigger picture that includes hundreds if not thousands of customers. A branch manager is asking himself why he has to take the hit, particularly if his bonus is affected by a policy that forces him to absorb the loss.

Now, I am not in any way saying that it makes it okay. I am just saying it isn't exclusive to Barnes and Noble and I am equally mystified by it. The retailer doesn't get the benefit of the profits on the initial sale and yet they have to take the loss on fixing any problems associated to it. If corporations still didn't rely on an antiquated "branch" system where a business unit's core metrics that are used for performance evaluations and management bonuses could be affected by such contradictory policies I think you would find retailers much more willing to help out the customer when they come in with a web store purchase that needs fixing.

It's been 15 years now, you would think the corporations of the world would have figured this out by now. I am sure some have, but it seems like most of the larger companies still pit retail against their own corporate web store and then wonder why people like you and your wife just say "screw it" and take their business to Amazon. (Office Depot, Best Buy...the list goes on)

News Comments > Project Eternity Art & Screenshot
14. Re: Project Eternity Art & Screenshot Aug 7, 2013, 11:09 Jivaro

Continues to look great and the progress seems to be heading exactly toward what I was hoping for when I helped Kickstart this one.  

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2013, 21:26 Jivaro

Enjoy: http://www.pica-pic.com/#/aerogun_field/  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 6, 2013, 17:46 Jivaro

CrimsonPaw wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 17:35:
Developers can control how PS4 games download.
Let's hope there's a turbo button, the PS3 downloads are slow as turds.

Really? Where you at/who is your provider? Here in the Bay Area mine are pretty good with Comcast. Just as fast as XBOX Live anyway. Steam is faster than both of them.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Aug 4, 2013, 14:15 Jivaro

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 14:04:
Surprised that this didn't get more press...... how exactly can a president (who stand's BELOW COURTS) veto a court order?

What the hell.

Well, that is a simple answer. Because it is legal. It hasn't been done for over 30 years, but the President can veto an ITC decision. Normally it would process through a Federal court, and if I understand it correctly, a Federal court could "veto the veto" in a manner of speaking. What Obama has done here is not without precedent or legal basis though.

Not this time anyway.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2013, 14:31 Jivaro

btallas wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 14:24:
I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be in. I'm just questioning why people think it was a huge snub he wasn't elected his first year of eligibility or that he's a slam dunk hall of fame candidate.

And I answered you I listed his contributions and speculated as to why he was not voted in the first time. If you don't agree that's cool, but you have your answer.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2013, 14:11 Jivaro

btallas wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 13:04:
Just curious but why do you believe Bill Parcells should be a slam dunk hall of fame candidate?

edit: I am a lifelong 49er fan who has spent the majority of my life looking for reasons to hate Bill Parcells. Paying him tribute rubs me wrong. That said...

Super Bowl wins alone doesn't begin to quantify Bill Parcells contribution to the sport or the league. His affect on the game goes way beyond that. Bill Belichick, Sean Payton, and Tom Coughlin and many others are in his coaching tree. He made a 22 year career out of turning around teams that were in desperate need of rebuilding, not taking over an underperforming but talented team that just needed a new alpha dog. 172 wins is 11th in history. Doing a quick Google I see that he was 2-1 against Walsh in the playoffs, beat Gibbs in the NFC Championship game, and beat Levy in the Super Bowl. All three of them are in Hall of Fame despite those critical losses because of obviously very strong overall resumes. His overall resume is what makes him a slam dunk. Had he strove to be more popular with the press I think he would have been a first ballot entry.

Are there other coaches that deserve to be in? Absolutely. Tom Flores is among the first to pop into my head. That doesn't take away from Parcells qualifications. As far as coaches go in NFL history, very few have had anywhere near the impact he has, or been nearly as successful.

News Comments > Star Citizen Funding at $15MM
11. Re: Star Citizen Funding at $15MM Aug 2, 2013, 21:57 Jivaro

jdreyer wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 19:35:
Jivaro wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 15:19:
I am starting to build my stick/cockpit setup. Still haven't decided just how overboard to go with it yet. Just a smancy stick or the whole 9 yards of flight simulator nonsense...we shall see.

Will it work like this?

ohmergawd...I wish

News Comments > Star Citizen Funding at $15MM
4. Re: Star Citizen Funding at $15MM Aug 2, 2013, 15:19 Jivaro

I am starting to build my stick/cockpit setup. Still haven't decided just how overboard to go with it yet. Just a smancy stick or the whole 9 yards of flight simulator nonsense...we shall see.

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 31, 2013, 21:11 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 18:46:
Squirmer wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 18:18:
They did change the connector type. Sites are reporting that Xbox 360 headsets are "compatible" -- but only through the use of an adapter which you'll need to buy from Microsoft. So don't worry, they have managed to monetize it.

That sounds more like the Microsoft we all know.

Creston

If that is true, it is just another reason not to get it. I can use the same headphones bouncing from my computer, to my Vita, to my iPad, and over to my SG3 smartphone.

Think about that for a second. We could be looking at a situation where we can use the same thing on an Apple product that we can use on nearly everything else....except a Microsoft product. Now who would have seen that coming 10 years back or so...

That said, I have no idea what a PS3 or PS4 uses. I have only ever used bluetooth for that.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 31, 2013, 15:16 Jivaro

We have this conversation at this site every time a new console comes out and despite all the various arguments the one thing every single person here agrees with is that a console can be the coolest piece of tech on the planet with boobs for controllers and a built in beer-fetching robot...if it doesn't have good games it isn't going to do well.

Right now it looks like Nintendo's plan is to eventually get the games going but only after MS and Sony have launched their next gen. I want to know why. That makes no sense. I understand why that would be the case with multi platform 3rd party titles. I do not understand why they are doing it with their exclusives. I know Christmas is supposed to be big, but you need an install base to take advantage of it.

News Comments > The Bureau XCOM Declassified YOLO Trailer
7. Re: The Bureau XCOM Declassified YOLO Trailer Jul 31, 2013, 12:08 Jivaro

Great ad. Terrific idea.

Not sure that means the game will be good, but kudos to the marketing team.

If it gets good reviews I will be all over it. I think if you pre-order it blindly you must have more money in your entertainment budget than I do.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 31, 2013, 11:58 Jivaro

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 11:21:
Why not do Crackdown 1 and 2?

As for the Wii U, again the only game I want is the Lego game and MAYBE a new Zelda game. Can you play the last Zelda game (Shadow whatever) on the Wii U?

I too only view the Lego Undercover game as a must have at this point. When Bayonetta 2 comes out I will add it to that very short list. Oh, and yes, all Wii games work on Wii U. It is only the Gamecube game discs that no longer work.

I know that for some people gaining some power and a tablet controller is fair compensation for losing Gamecube compatibility...I am not one of those people. Until the games list gets much longer the Wii U just isn't worth the money or the shelf space. It is almost like Nintendo is waiting for the competition to launch their next gen instead of taking advantage of the head start they have. If I were them I would have at least made sure a new Zelda game had launched by now. Or Metroid. Or something. That said, Nintendo always seems to have a plan. Every time the world is scratching their heads saying "WTF?!", a few months later we end up looking back and saying "oh, I get it". Well, except maybe with the whole power glove thing.

10. Re: HO.LY.SHIT Jul 30, 2013, 14:23 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 13:38:
Yeah, I expect they'll hit him with 50 years at the minimum. I was quite surprised that he chose for a judge rather than a jury. With all the outrage over the NSA bullshit that's currently going on, a jury might have acquitted him of everything except the stuff that he admitted to.

Creston

I was puzzled by that as well. I chalked it up to my own inadequate understanding of legal wrangling. I am sure there will be a book or interview that addresses that point in the near future.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2013, 13:20 Jivaro

Cutter wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 12:16:
Jivaro wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 11:20:
This year is the first year in a decade that I have seen more than a handful of honeybees in the same 12 month period. We also seem to be getting our hummingbirds back. When I first moved here in 2000, which is the Oak/SF Bay Area, we had a lot of both in my little suburb. It was nice to have some of that back this year. I hope the trend continues.

Grab some books on Permaculture from your local lieberry and plant some beneficial plants that attract them.

Didn't have to, landlord did. (still a renter for at least one more month ) It didn't seem to make much difference. In fact, the local schools, parks, etc coordinated with the city council in my little nook to try to help by planting friendly species of plants. It is kind of predictable that a year after the funding ran out for most of it....I start to see some results. This is California after all. We are known our political and cultural ADD.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2013, 11:27 Jivaro

I am surprised that Apple, as a matter of policy, would conduct those searches "off the clock". Those types of searches have been routine for many retail companies for some time, but management in the two companies I worked for were always told to make sure that it was done on the clock. It was presented to us as not just a matter of policy but a matter of law and even plain old common sense. "If you as the employer require some sort of on-site task of the employee, you need to be paying the employee for the time required to accomplish task" I think that sentence is basically straight out of the Office Depot "handbook" of the time.

Then again, I suppose part of me is really not all that surprised. Corporations do seem to be more than willing to do things they know they shouldn't all the way up until someone makes them stop. Very much like little children.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2013, 11:20 Jivaro

This year is the first year in a decade that I have seen more than a handful of honeybees in the same 12 month period. We also seem to be getting our hummingbirds back. When I first moved here in 2000, which is the Oak/SF Bay Area, we had a lot of both in my little suburb. It was nice to have some of that back this year. I hope the trend continues.  

News Comments > SOE Player Studio Item Creator
7. Re: SOE Player Studio Item Creator Jul 30, 2013, 00:32 Jivaro

The best part of some of my favorite games has been player created content. People who call community content second class aren't just wrong, they are short sighted. This is the kind of thing that will, in the long term, make this industry healthier.

Whether it is a MMO like Star Trek Online or a console platformer like LittleBigPlanet, the mod communities play a huge part in shaping the game over the course of it's lifespan. I am glad SOE is going try something like this. I hope it works out well for them. Obviously, it is Sony, so there is always the possibility of a mega clusterfuck occurring.

News Comments > Fez II Cancelled
72. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 29, 2013, 12:30 Jivaro

Snapdad wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 03:10:
Creston wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 17:36:
Hopefully this will be the last time we ever hear of the douchetard.

Creston

Still waiting for your game, btw.

Why? I am interested to hear how that has anything to do with anything or what your intended point is. Is there a previous discussion that offers context to this?

1540 Comments. 77 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo