Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 1540 (Pro)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve Closes SF Satellite Office
14. Re: Valve Closes SF Satellite Office Aug 9, 2013, 03:29 Jivaro

Sepharo wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 02:10:
Jivaro wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 21:05:
Prez wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 20:49:
Valve was super cool about it and is letting us continue to work on our game and is also giving us the office.

Hey, here have an office! Nice.

And it sounds like they also said "Keep the project assets and game you were working on while we were paying you".

Reminds me of a similar story a month or so back...Valve told those folks (and the attorneys) they could take their project assets with them as well. Pretty cool. I am not sure most, if any, other companies would do that.

It was their hardware people/tinkerers. They let them leave and take ALL of the expensive/rare lab equipment as well.

Yep, that was what I was thinking of.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Aug 8, 2013, 21:06 Jivaro

Whoooowantah some cheap Wang?  

News Comments > Valve Closes SF Satellite Office
2. Re: Valve Closes SF Satellite Office Aug 8, 2013, 21:05 Jivaro

Prez wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 20:49:
Valve was super cool about it and is letting us continue to work on our game and is also giving us the office.

Hey, here have an office! Nice.

And it sounds like they also said "Keep the project assets and game you were working on while we were paying you".

Reminds me of a similar story a month or so back...Valve told those folks (and the attorneys) they could take their project assets with them as well. Pretty cool. I am not sure most, if any, other companies would do that.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
32. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 8, 2013, 17:23 Jivaro

Fair point as well.  

30. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 8, 2013, 16:31 Jivaro

avianflu wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 16:15:
Major game reviewers do seem lately to be willing to give lower reviews for EA games. A hopeful sign? Not sure.

I obviously have no way of proving there is a correlation to this but..... I have taken this newfound boldness from sites and mags to slam EA to be the direct result of the fact that the consumer base has not only been very vocal about hating on EA, they voted them the worst company in America. It has become "hip" to hate on EA. I am not saying it isn't justified, I am saying that I find it strangely convenient that these place like PC Gamer and IGN have all of sudden found their balls around about the same time the customer base got REALLY loud.

I think EA deserves every bit of crap they get but I don't think it will last. EA will eventually get in everyone's good graces and when they do the sites and mags will go back to kissing their ass.

News Comments > Project Eternity Art & Screenshot
55. Re: Project Eternity Art & Screenshot Aug 8, 2013, 16:13 Jivaro

If I don't get my replica cherry red 1953 Corvette convertible, complete with the ability to fly and unicorn blood for fuel, I am never buying another Chevy again. So there.

Don't try to make it sound like I am being unreasonable Creston. I am on to you.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
50. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 16:09 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 15:30:
Since this seems aimed at my earlier post...

Oops, I didn't mean for it to sound like it was aimed at you or your post Verno. I did probably use the number 30 because I had just read your post...but that was really just coming off the top of my head. Not really meant to agree or disagree with anyone.

22. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 8, 2013, 13:15 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 13:02:
Here's an interesting question: We all know that the large majority of "professional" gaming sites are nothing but paid-for advertising stations. (though I have to admit that some of them seem to be trying to get their objectiveness back in order. PCGamer has now given TWO EA games a reasonably bad score. In a row! I think they're saving up for Dragon Age 3, so they can give it a 108% )

But is the same true for hardware review sites? Instinctively I'd say that it really isn't (though tomshardware for awhile was (accused of) shilling for Intel and Nvidia.) Curious to see what other people think of that.

I only ever read Tom's site. Please don't tell me they're all shills there. It would break my cold, dead heart.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 13:07 Jivaro

Also: Colbert is awesome. Great way to handle that particular issue.  

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 13:04 Jivaro

Your site Blue, do whatever you want. I am not even going to ask you to be consistent with moderation. If you as the administrator are willing to continue "administrating" the same person 30 times, that's your business. You give us the tools to ignore people if we want. Even if you didn't, it really isn't all that hard to skip over posts by people who never seem to add anything of value.

Since other people are, I will offer a personal perspective. For me personally, I skip over the people that can't seem to make a point without being a complete dick to someone else. They might have a valid point but they lose credibility with me when they feel like their "valid point" gives them some sort of right to be condescending and rude. That doesn't mean I expect Blue as the administrator to run his site like that, nor do I think everyone else should have to post or read in a way that I think is "right". Just like everyone else that is human, I am not nearly consistent enough in my own actions and statements to realistically expect anyone to agree with me 100% of the time. Hell, I don't agree with me 100% of the time. I can look through my own post history and find all sorts of posts that make me wonder just what the hell I was thinking when given the benefit of hindsight.

As for graphics, I am indifferent. I view this site on a fast hardline and a large monitor 99.99% of the time. Screenshots, embedded video, etc don't bother me in the least. If you are striving to be mobile friendly however, even with tablets, I would think that it would be better to keep screenshots as hotlinks and keep the videos in the comments section. Not because of visual appeal or load times, but more because of data limits that people may or may not have. It allows them to pick what they will load, and choice is good.

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 8, 2013, 12:19 Jivaro

Beamer wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 10:35:
You don't have to buy something to know it sucks, but you should have played something to write a review.

+1 That really is the bottom line. A movie critic watches an entire movie before doing a review, they don't base it on the teasers. A book critic reads the book, they don't base it on the prologue. That experience is what lends credibility to the opinion and it is what separates the reviewer from the person reading the review. If all they did was watch the same youtube videos as the reader then it isn't a review.

edit: This made me think of something else. Kind of random, but sort of relevant. There is another issue here and it was only sort of touched on in the article. A public forum that is not controlled by the publisher or developer where people can vent about missing features, requirements, etc is what people want. I am not sure the review sections of Metacritic, Amazon, etc are the place but I also don't have a better idea. I mean, these sites have all the foot traffic. When a group wants to try to change something like online DRM and they complain about it on some private forum it will make zero difference and it will just get deleted at the official forums. At Metacritic and Amazon however, potential customers, the developers, and the publisher will all see it. Good thing or bad thing, I am not really sure. It is what it is.

I do know that you don't have to buy a game to know that you don't like online only single player. I don't think it is right to give a 1 star review on a game you haven't played because of that, but I do see why people choose to do it. Companies, if they react at all, tend to react in a much more customer friendly way when everything is out in front of the public.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2013, 12:24.

74. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 21:33 Jivaro

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 21:28:
Jivaro wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 19:50:
All I am saying is that there a huge upside to digital readers and I think some people who are holding out are going to find out that they enjoy e-readers much more then they thought they would. Particularly a paperwhite one.
Tell ya' what, buy me one -- and something to read on it, and if by some miracle I'm wrong and I like it. I'll pay you back and kick in another 20%. If I'm right, I'll ship it to you.

Since you could go into any Best Buy and try one out for yourself, I am going to say do it yourself. I already know that if you have decided you don't like it without even trying it that you are not a good bet to spend money on.

I should also note that since you can get a full refund from Amazon if you don't like your Kindle there is no reason you can't buy yourself one as a test even if you don't live anywhere near a Best buy.

Something tells me that you are more than content being a smartass with an opinion based on nothing other than an unwillingness to try something new and thus will do neither. Call it a hunch. I did more than my share already by presenting quite clearly all of the various upsides. I am not on mission to convert you, which I also was pretty clear about, it was merely an opinion....and one you can test at your leisure with no financial risk.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2013, 21:40.

46. Re: Project Eternity Art & Screenshot Aug 7, 2013, 20:46 Jivaro

Yes....Yes.....Let the hate flow through you.....  

64. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 19:50 Jivaro

Paperwhite Kindle's are as practical a use of technology as you are going to find. If a person wants a huge bookshelf of books or wants to hold a real book in their hands, that's fine, but don't try to argue the cost thing. The convenience of the device make it more than worth the cost. Not only that but since a great many of what we consider "the classics" are in the public domain, you can basically own an entire library on your Kindle without paying a dime for anything other than the device. I had over 300 books on my Kindle, legally, before I ever purchased a single book.

You can listen to audio books with it. You can adjust the text size. If it is a textbook you can do things like listen to pre-recorded lectures or follow hyperlinks. When an update is ready you can set it up to auto update which eliminates having to go trade it in for the newer revision. You can highlight text, a particularly useful thing for both teachers and students. You can use the search engine to check definitions of words. You can loan your book to other people, and yes they can read the whole thing. If you use multiple devices for reading you can go from one to the other and the software will always keep your place. I have nine devices on my Kindle account and any of them can ready any of over 700 books currently attached to that account. Two different devices can be reading two different books, it doesn't matter. The list of reasons why digital readers, paperwhite or not, have extraordinary value goes on and on.

I collect physical copies of games. I like them. I like having them. Some people feel the same way about books. I get that and I am not dismissing that. All I am saying is that there a huge upside to digital readers and I think some people who are holding out are going to find out that they enjoy e-readers much more then they thought they would. Particularly a paperwhite one.

57. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 17:53 Jivaro

Agreed. Unfortunately some folks recognize a harsh reality and wield it like a weapon: The only thing that motivates people nearly as well as money is fear. In the absence of money, you use fear to carry your message.

It is indeed a shitty thing.

55. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 17:34 Jivaro

To be fair Prez, green energy needs to be a huge money racket. Had it been a huge money racket in the 70s, we would have jumped on it then. This has never been about what is best for the environment or our children, it has always been about the benjamins. It always will be. If green energy doesn't find a way to be a mega money maker we will still be using fossil fuels until they completely dry up. No amount of price increase, threatening, or atmospheric changes will get anybody to change anything if the money isn't rolling in.

Arguing over whether or not the scientists agree on global warming is like arguing over whether or not the teenage girls agree on whether Justin Bieber is cute or not. You will never get a consensus. You might get a technical majority, but there will always be some division and there will always be just enough contradictory information to cast doubt.

At some point you have to acknowledge the game, pick your pony, and run the race. How you do it is up to you. Waiting around for a consensus isn't safe, moderate, rational, or even inexpensive. It's just maintaining the status quo. Nothing more and nothing less.

Personally, my pony is on getting greener as my budget allows. The possibility that we are accelerating this thing is bad enough for me to want to change how I go about things. That said, you can only do what you can with what you know. When you know something else, you do something else. It might sound fickle but I prefer that to inaction. Besides, so far, it has saved me a ton of money despite requiring more overall effort and time.

I am not trying to convince anyone to be some super green hippy or lecture at anyone. I am also not trying to make anyone feel like they have to just roll over and accept changes they don't like or want. Change is a bitch, and often an expensive one at that. I am just saying that if you are waiting for the world to all get on the same page, you are going to be waiting for a long time. It has never been on the same page. Ever. About anything.

32. Re: Project Eternity Art & Screenshot Aug 7, 2013, 14:07 Jivaro

I'd like to have a replica 1953 cherry red Corvette convertible, but instead of just wheels I want it to be able to fly. Not only that, it would be really cool if it ran on unicorn blood instead of gas. Oh, and it should be able to shoot lasers out of the headlights because lasers make everything better.  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Aug 7, 2013, 11:58 Jivaro

Here in the bay Area we recently had a bank that was robbed by an old woman....except it wasn't an old woman. It was someone dressed as an old woman. No weapon, no drama, just "give me the money"...and walked out. The police still have no idea who to actually look for,  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 11:54 Jivaro

In my area the "Safeway" chain of grocery stores has been offering home delivery of groceries for quite some time. I wouldn't say it is cheaper, but the difference is so negligible that I know many people who do it, particularly my elderly or handicapped friends and neighbors. My wife and I don't do it because we prefer to look at a selection in person, but it is nice to have the option. Given my battle with a crippling back condition, it is REALLY nice to know I have an affordable option to lugging groceries back and forth after walking around in some huge store with concrete floors. It is truly amazing how much something relatively simple like grocery shopping sucks when you have chronic back pain.  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 11:47 Jivaro

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 07:34:
Jivaro wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 21:26:
Enjoy: http://www.pica-pic.com/#/aerogun_field/

Wow I miss those games. WIsh I had kept the many that I had. The coolest one I ever had was a mini pac man. We kept a piece of paper on the back of it for high scores.
http://www.retrothing.com/2006/03/coleco_pacman_m.html

That is cool! Thanks for the link. Memories.

Yeah, back when the World Expo was in Vancouver my family made the drive from California to Canada and the Caveman electronic handheld game saved my life. My family contained 3 teenage sisters who all wanted to be anywhere but that van and complained bitterly then entire fucking drive. Had I not had that game (and my Atari Lynx!) there might have been blood spilled.

1540 Comments. 77 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo