Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 1697 (Pro)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 23:35 Jivaro

I went from first to third this past week. The week before was bad, this past week was worse. I normally pick one or two upsets, the problem is I picked the wrong one or two both weeks. This week most of the games seem pretty easy to pick, mainly thanks to injuries. Don't think I will make up any ground though. One of those weeks where everybody will probably pick about the same.

One division interests me this week, the NFC North. I don't think Chicago can win their game without Cutter or Tillman. I don't think Green Bay can win their game without Matthews and Rodgers. I know the Vikings aren't going to upset the Seahawks in Seattle with all their injury issues. All of that is really good news for the Detroit Lions. If they can go into Pittsburgh(?) and win, which they should be able to do, then they would be putting themselves in a great position. For the past few years Detroit has been the butt of every injury joke in the league. Interesting to see them on the other side this year. I am still not convinced Stafford is as great as the analysts seem to think, but OMFG Megatron is a beast. Bush seems pretty determined to convince the league he can handle running between the tackles as well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > FTL: Faster Than Light Expansion Next Year
10. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Expansion Next Year Nov 11, 2013, 23:01 Jivaro

Free expansion? Awesome. Version for iPad? Interesting. I just got rid of my iPad but my wife still has hers, so I might give it a shot since it seems like a game that would translate well to a tablet. If it will run on 1st gen iPads that is.  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2013, 22:49 Jivaro

Mad Max RW wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 22:11:
Cutter wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 21:23:
I know all this stuff because it's been my dream over the last decade to get off the grid and into alternative housing. It'll happen one of these days, soon I hope.

And a few months later your emaciated corpse will be found inside an abandoned school bus. You can "know" everything. Until you apply it to real life your word is shit.

That seems unreasonably harsh for no real reason. Who the hell pissed in your Wheaties? Seems like a fairly reasonable ambition to me. I grew up in the sticks, my dad has gone off the grid, it isn't exactly nuclear physics. Just hard work.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2013, 18:57 Jivaro

Loved the g-dome we lived in as a kid. Never understood why more people who build their own homes don't choose to build a dome. So many ups, so few downs. Easy to build modularly as well.

I have no idea if they would helped these poor people or not, I am no architect and I have never read up on the subject. That storm was ridiculous in size as well. All I know is that our dome endured the '89 Bay Area earthquake and some crazy flash flooding just fine. It did however die a horrible death due to a forest fire. (years after we left) Nothings perfect I guess.

News Comments > Shocker: WoW Not Going F2P
28. Re: Shocker: WoW Not Going F2P Nov 10, 2013, 18:32 Jivaro

Kawlisse wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 03:06:
For those requesting F2P in WoW it's easy, play on a private server. there are plenty of blizz like servers out there. And unlike what people think, it's not illegal.

I would like you to explain how that isn't illegal. I promise, I will go into it with an open mind.

edit: I think Blizzard will bring an in-game marketplace to the game before they actually moe to F2P. They might even have tiered subscriptions + the store. I just don't see the benefit to them to suddenly switch to a completely F2P model when they can keep charging money. I also think that if they went F2P their server pop numbers would explode....which always has it's own costs. They have been gradually shrinking their infrastructure I would assume, going F2P would mean expanding it again no?

News Comments > The Banner Saga in January
4. Re: The Banner Saga in January Nov 9, 2013, 20:11 Jivaro

Am I the only one that was hoping this was a Hulk based gamed?

*cricket*

fine then...

News Comments > QUAKE LIVE Going Standalone; Linux and OS X Support Ending
15. Re: QUAKE LIVE Going Standalone; Linux and OS X Support Ending Nov 9, 2013, 15:05 Jivaro

If I was John Carmack I would be off doing other things as well.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 8, 2013, 23:33 Jivaro

Yep. For me personally, Comcast is only shit when it comes to customer service. They have competition in my area but they are the cheapest and fastest. My Internet rarely slows down and has probably completely dropped maybe 5 times in the last 10 years. So, all is well until I actually need to interact with the company. Calling into them is hell. 30 minutes of "push this button for that" and listening to Pay per View ads being shouted at you is what you can expect before possibly getting a real person. That person may or may not be competent. They are always plenty nice, they just aren't always any good at their job. If they do need to transfer you be prepared to get your call dropped as their phone system seems to be REALLY bad at transferring calls between departments. The unfortunate result of all this is that the only time you can get any real traction and deal with a competent person is by threatening to cancel your service very early in the call. You'll get transferred to some special department that apparently has every other department on direct dial, every promo on a shortcut key, and the authorization to do whatever it takes to not only keep you from cancelling but sell you more stuff.

It's why I only use them for Internet and not phone, home security, or TV. I can't rely on their customer service to actually be helpful. I would love to do one of those bundles and pay one bill a month. Not going to put all my eggs in one inept basket however. Particularly the home security service.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Warlords of Draenor Announced
15. Re: World of Warcraft Warlords of Draenor Announced Nov 8, 2013, 17:40 Jivaro

this thread ought to be fun... Laugh2  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2013, 10:15 Jivaro

That story about the woman axe thrower & the burglar is so good we should really read about it twice.

News Comments > Next Mass Effect Teases
8. Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 7, 2013, 22:18 Jivaro

I would buy a spin-off solely about Liara.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2013, 19:15 Jivaro

Every year we have the same discussion about the flu shot in my house, and every year it ends the same way.

1) My wife, a nurse, gets her shot and is fine. Doesn't get the flu all season either. Considering the patients she works with, +1 point for the flu shot.

2) I refuse to get the shot, which pisses my wife off to no end of course, but I also don't get the flu all season. I don't work with sick people all the time, or even the general public. I am not high risk, or even luke-warm risk, so I don't mess with the shot.

3) My step-daughter, a college student, says she will get the shot but doesn't remember to do so until she is already sick with a cold or something. Showing that flashy education off to the world, she of course goes and gets her flu shot while her immune system is compromised. Of course she is then sick for the next 4 days. At least I can take some comfort in the fact that it isn't my DNA that causes this yearly ritual.

Seriously, like clockwork, every single year.

News Comments > Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013
8. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 12:35 Jivaro

Yeah, at this point Mass Effect 3 is a pretty enjoyable game...ending included. I'd import a ME2 save or make one @ http://www.masseffectsaves.com  

News Comments > Activision Blizzard's Financials - WoW at 7.6M Subs
40. Re: Activision Blizzard's Financials - WoW at 7.6M Subs Nov 7, 2013, 10:55 Jivaro

Personally, I think the Everquest Next preview videos sent ActiBlizz back to the drawing board.  

News Comments > Grim Dawn Early Access
10. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 00:18 Jivaro

I have been in since just after alpha started and I like it. I think most ARPG fans in general will like it. I think POE fans will like it from a gameplay standpoint. I think Torchlight fans will like it from the modding standpoint. I think the only people that might not like it are the folks that strongly prefer the bright cartoony visuals of Torchlight or Marvel Heroes over the grittiness of POE. Grim Dawn definitely swings toward POE on the gritty scale. Right now it also plays a bit slower then some ARPGs, like Van Helsing for example. In Van Helsing combat is fast and loose where in Grim Dawn it is methodical and brutal with very tight controls. Because the alpha is limited and because I haven't leveled to a very high level I don't know how this affects things when your skills and weapons become more advanced and varied, but early on you must be much more careful then in a game like Torchlight or Van Helsing.

Kind of a weird thing to be so fond of....but I really like that you can zoom & spin the camera around and view from different directions. It is such a rare feature in the ARPG genre and I prefer it to a locked camera.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2013, 00:24.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard's Financials - WoW at 7.6M Subs
19. Re: Activision Blizzard's Financials - WoW at 7.6M Subs Nov 7, 2013, 00:06 Jivaro

NicklePop wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 23:48:
WoW is one of the best games of all time.

Panda-land is an awesome expansion.

Can't wait for the next expansion.

I am sure someone is going to go after you for that but I wanted to say that I agree. I don't play now, but I started very near launch and raided all the way through BC before leaving due to a severe back injury that effectively ended my PC gaming hobby for a long time. I buy each new expansion, play through it solo, and then put the game back on the shelf. (sorta speak) The back injury just won't let me go back to raiding which is too bad because I have a great guild that made it a lot of fun.

It is my opinion that what makes/made WoW great is that for the majority of people who have played it, they have enjoyed it for a substantial amount of time. It seems like nearly everyone has a "time" where they played and liked the game. For me it was vanilla+BC, for example. Other people thought WotLK was great. For most of those people though, that "time" comes to an end. Something happens, an expansion or their guild breaks up usually, and the game becomes less fun. Maybe it becomes repetitive, maybe they don't like the latest nerfs, maybe they just don't find another guild that was as fun as the previous one. Sometimes real life just gets in the way. The bottom line is that WoW has been immensely entertaining to a huge amount of people. Every game, MMO or not, wears thin after awhile. MMOs evolve to try to battle the weariness but I think it is inevitable for all but the most dedicated of fanpeople that any video game will eventually become boring and repetitive.

WoW wasn't the first and it wasn't the most original, but it's impact on the industry and the gamers definitely makes it one of the best games ever made. At least in my book. We play video games to have fun and WoW was fun. For a while anyway.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2013, 00:16 Jivaro

I love my Vita. It really is too bad that I don't have a reason to use it more often as I too am not a traveler or public transportation commuter. It is great for Skype, among many other apps, and PS+ has really been good for it....so I do find some fairly regular uses for it. Hopefully after I get my PS4, which won't be until awhile after the holidays most likely, I will find more uses for it as I really dig the hardware itself.

(edit: Just sold my 1st gen iPad back to Amazon...108 dollars for what has essentially become a paperweight. I should have traded it in as soon as Apple stopped updating the iOS for it. Won't have that problem anymore, last Apple product I buy. I understand not updating the OS when the hardware can't run it, but to completely stop supporting a product a mere ~2 years out of the gate simply to force people to upgrade is just fucked up....even for Apple. I mean, I was still under a hardware warranty but I was starting to not be able to use apps I owned because they required the new iOS. Oh well, have been wanting to try the Kindle HDX for sometime anyhow.)

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2013, 00:28.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 17:36 Jivaro

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 16:50:
HEY! No complaining when you are in first place.

lol...I won't be for long if I have another week like this past one.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 14:00 Jivaro

1badmf wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 12:20:
Creston wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 11:38:
6-7 here too, as was almost everyone else. There's always a big upset week.

check out next week's picks. anybody ballsy enough to pick philly over GB like me? heheh.

I think you have to consider Philly the favorite with Rodgers out for at least the next 3 weeks, Finley out, and Matthews still out.

1697 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo