Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 1778 (Pro)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Dark Souls II "Cursed" Trailer
5. Re: Dark Souls II Jan 15, 2014, 12:07 Jivaro

harlock wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 11:12:
Jivaro wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 10:42:
I am a big fan of the series gameplay but...

Is it just me or did this video kind of make the game look sort of dated visually?

"Dark Souls II will be launching in the Americas on March 11, 2014 on the PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft with the PC edition to follow shortly."

Well thank you Captain Obvious. Thanks for taking the time to copy+paste.

There are other games for those same consoles with better looking textures and more shapely models. That video, more than any for the other two games, seems to highlight that. That was all I was getting at. It's not like it will keep me from buying it, the gameplay is far too good for me to skip it only because I think the engine needs a facelift visually. Regardless of platform.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dark Souls II "Cursed" Trailer
1. Re: Dark Souls II Jan 15, 2014, 10:42 Jivaro

I am a big fan of the series gameplay but...

Is it just me or did this video kind of make the game look sort of dated visually?

News Comments > SimCity Offline Mode Coming
74. Re: SimCity Offline Mode Coming Jan 15, 2014, 03:53 Jivaro

Newbro wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 23:28:
(snip)..so I'm not sure how EA could have resolved this in the first month after release. I mean it's not like EA sees a decline in sales after few months, so tells Maxis to flip the 'offline' switch right? This is what annoys me the most.

1) If it wasn't possible to do quickly there was nothing stopping them from saying "We are going to make an offline patch but it will take awhile". Instead they chose to lie and call it impossible.

2) No man, that is exactly what EA did. Sales drop, expansion is released....flip that offline switch. Maybe the metaphorical "switch" took months of development but their lack of transparency makes it pretty clear where their priorities are. Hint: Not the customers that already paid for the game.

Lastly, yes you are trying to defend EA. You may be totally willing to admit that they have screwed up, but this isn't about fixing a screw up. This is about making a conscious design decision that NOBODY wanted. Optional online play maybe, but not mandatory. Now, a year later, they are going to patch in the "impossible" offline play at around the same time that they are selling a new expansion pack and that all sounds kosher to you? Sounds to me like EA needs to boost sales and I think it would be pretty naive to think otherwise. Giving them a pat on the back for willingly screwing over their core audience and only fixing things when they know it's the only way to sell expansion copies isn't going to get much in the way of kudos from me.

All of that said, should they continue to fix things with this game regardless of how the expansion sells, I will be among the first to applaud that. Make the cities bigger, make the game use the PC hardware more efficiently, etc. In other words make the changes to the game the people who already paid for it are (apparently) really wanting instead of making the changes that might get the holdouts to buy the game.

Who knows, I might even buy it if they do. Until than I will stick to SimCity 4.

News Comments > Catlateral Damage
11. Re: Catlateral Damage Jan 15, 2014, 03:24 Jivaro

nin wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 18:45:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 18:23:
Cats? Pfff.

Put a Raccoon in your house if you want to see damage.

Had a coworker who once told a story of a raccoon getting in his house, and him trying to remove it. It was both hilarious and horrific...I don't recall all the details, but I believe it shit all over everything and he was trying to avoid getting bit. Wish I still had the email to share.

That sounds about right. Didn't have one in my house, but we did manage to accidentally lock one in our stables over a weekend once when I was a kid. We had 50lb bags of dog food as well as the obvious horse type stuff stored in there. It shredded 2 of the dog food bags and gorged itself. I could not believe how much one raccoon could eat in 48 hours. Opened the door when we got back and the thing came tearing out...startled the shit out of me. Between the mixture of dog food, crap, piss, and hay...the smell was enough to nearly make me gag. The clean up was a horrible experience.

News Comments > DayZ Sells 1M in One Month
13. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 14, 2014, 12:32 Jivaro

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 11:30:
Every buyer has a choice on how they want to spend their money. If it's for Early Access so be it. The funnest game I've played in quite a spell is 7 Days to Die and it is in Early Access, it is totally playable and only gets better. But I knew what I was getting myself into. Obviously DAYZ is well enough as-is since people are buying it, word of mouth is good etc. The company selling the product is totally up-front about the games status. I don't get what we are poo poo'ing here? Seller clear, buyer ok with it, get over it. Game is obviously a lot of fun as-is for many. 7D2D is more fun than almost all finished games I've played. Bottom line.

Quoting because I couldn't think of anything better to say. That pretty much covers it. I say that as a person who rarely buys early-access games and has only contributed to 5 kickstarters. I beta test a lot of games, paying to play games still in beta is a hard sell to me personally. That doesn't mean everyone else has to think or play or want the same thing as me though. It certainly doesn't indicate the coming apocalypse of PC gaming.

News Comments > SimCity Offline Mode Coming
63. Re: SimCity Offline Mode Coming Jan 13, 2014, 22:43 Jivaro

Newbro, I am not going to call you an ass, I have no idea if you are ass or not. I do think you are missing the point though. This board is notoriously cynical, I don't think anyone here would argue that. In this particular case however the point (as I see it in this thread anyway) is that EA could have done this offline mode in the first month or so after release if they were doing it "for the customers" as opposed to nearly a year later "for the business". Put simply, this is like EA saying the cliche' "Come back baby, I promise I will change this time!". Kinda of hard to take seriously this late in the game. All puns intended.

To spin it another way, I am sure there is a contingent of paying customers who are wondering why they can't get bigger city maps or mult-thread processing or....well you get my point. Existing players want solutions to existing issues. These people paid money for a game with online only use, it stands to reason that it probably isn't their biggest concern. Going with an offline mode is nice for the modding community, and that's great, but when you say for such a long time that something isn't possible and than you suddenly decide to do it at around the same time that it benefits you the most, pretending it is for the customer and not for yourself is a bit of a dick move.

I would be shocked if the folks here didn't jump on it. They should. The time to react to your existing customer base is immediately if your focus really is on the customers, not after you have already bled your core audience dry and need to find a new one to pay the bills with. This is the kind of thing that gets EA voted Worst Company in America.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 13, 2014, 22:22 Jivaro

My first response would be the same Virge. I would however be more flexible about it if the memory prices came down significantly. Right now you effectively pay twice as much as the retail cost for a digital game because the memory prices are so ridiculous.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: That final Saints play Jan 12, 2014, 02:31 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Jan 11, 2014, 23:31:
I mean... what? The guy genuinely thought that doing a lateral pass was a better option than stepping out of bounds and giving Brees a final throw into the end zone?

I assumed the lateral was a planned part of the play and he simply let his forward momentum affect his throw.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 12, 2014, 02:27 Jivaro

Currently I go to Youtube for the comments section. I am writing a short story about a group of people and their life after a lobotomy. The comments section of nearly any video is a great source of material.  

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Free Weekend
23. Re: Torchlight 2 Free Weekend Jan 12, 2014, 01:14 Jivaro

I can't really get behind any theory or opinion that is based on the concept that a game must sell well to have been good. Sales numbers are a generally accepted component of making good future business decisions, that does not necessarily mean that they are a good indication of quality game design. The theory only works when an individual's subjective opinion happens to fall in line with the mass market opinion. Any reader of this board should be pretty familiar with fantastic games that fail from a sales point of view while absolutely crap games sell millions. It's been happening for years and nearly all of us have commented on it at some point.

The fact is that it is all subjective and when a development decision changes a game in a way that significantly separates itself from an industry standard like Diablo 2 there will inevitably be comparisons and target audience division. If a new ARPG fails to draw in gamers that don't normally play ARPGs how will they ever sell as many copies as the industry standard when they are dividing the market? In the absence of a lot of marketing money the answer is simple: they won't. That has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the game. It's simply a risk you take when you try to innovate. Some folks are going to appreciate it and some are going to hate it. I mean, bottom line, if Titan Quest was so bad would Grim Dawn even be a thing? A strong argument could be made that without the Titan Quest bloodline on it's resume, Grim Dawn never gets made. (and Grim Dawn is fantastic by the way!)

edit: I wasn't going to comment on the DS thing since I am only a moderate fan of that series but the idea that D2's quality or sales had anything to do with the disaster that was DS3 seems unlikely. DS3 was made with consoles as the priority sales platform, that is why it was less accepted by the very same fans that loved DS1 and DS2, games which were made for the PC first. When you make such a huge and fundamental change to your design you are rolling the dice in a big way because you will most likely piss off your core audience. If you don't succeed in growing a new audience who are you selling the game too? The reason for the change is more likely to be because the publisher thought they could sell more copies to a new audience on the consoles than they could to an old audience on PC. It isn't a huge leap in logic. The console versions of the previous games probably sold well enough to convince the suits that if DS3 was console oriented from the get-go it would be a bigger seller on closed platforms that have less piracy and higher margins. Again, not a new thing for any of us on this board to see from this industry. Even with all the success that Steam and other digital distributors have brought to the PC gaming industry we still see this same decision being made by both developers and publishers. When it works, it works big. I assume that is why publishers and developers take the chance in the first place.

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 2014, 02:19.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2014, 12:23 Jivaro

Happy Birthday Ant  

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Jan 11, 2014, 08:32 Jivaro

Holy crap..there are KB/M controls. I was sure there weren't. I can't even imagine that being a fun way to play the game. Thanks Jerykk for pointing that out.

edit:Found an article pointing to the creator of the game as basically begging people to use a controller.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Jan 11, 2014, 01:48 Jivaro

El Pit wrote on Jan 11, 2014, 01:15:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 10, 2014, 20:10:
If you missed Brothers 2 weeks ago on the Steam sale, go straight to check out. Do not pass Go. Do not collect 200 Imperial credits. And for the Emperor's sake, don't read any reviews. Just buy and play.

Well, you should read this:
"Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons requires a controller to play"

Which means I will never buy it. But to each their own.

Do you know why it requires a controller? I am not being a smart ass, legit question. The game play mechanic is designed around operating two characters simultaneously with two joysticks/pads. It isn't that they were too lazy to code in some PC-centric controls. I can't really think of a practical and comfortable way to play the game without a controller.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 10, 2014, 23:38 Jivaro

I would be shocked if Quantic or Sony were using pre-release projection numbers higher than 2 million. If they did than they were on the same crack as Square. A niche game as an exclusive on a console that is about to be replaced by the next gen? You would think they would keep their expectations fairly grounded.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 10, 2014, 21:27 Jivaro

robdot wrote on Jan 10, 2014, 19:45:
I liked beyond two souls, is a million copies considered a lot?

No, not when Heavy Rain sold 3 million. It's too bad really. It's a great experience and a very creative story. It has a very cool co-op game-play mechanic as well. Perhaps by increasing the amount of action sequences in this game as in an effort to draw in more "gamers" they might have put off the core audience that bought Heavy Rain for the "story". Personally I think Beyond: Two Souls is a better game in every way. Perhaps when PlayStation Now brings the game to PS4 the sales will jump a bit. Launching a title at the end of a console life-cycle can be an iffy proposition, particularly if people think it will release on the next gen anyway. (which has been rumored for quite some time)

News Comments > Valve Talks About Lack of Communication
2. Re: Valve Talks About Lack of Communication Jan 10, 2014, 17:41 Jivaro

If I was them I would say the same thing.

As a customer I would rather have a day to day update...from any developer...but I don't complain about the lack of them because I know I wouldn't do it if I was in their shoes. I just appreciate it that much more when regular status updates are provided.

21. Re: Torchlight 2 Free Weekend Jan 10, 2014, 16:44 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Jan 10, 2014, 09:21:
TL2 was great for what it was, I never expected 300 hours of longevity out of it but I enjoyed the whole experience.

Yeah, my opinion as well. I have also enjoyed many of the community mods. Currently have the Synergies mod installed along with 2 or 3 texture packs. If the Torchlight series didn't have modding I think I would still have really enjoyed it, just not for as long.

Verno wrote on Jan 10, 2014, 13:51:
Dungeon Siege 3 was really consolized and forgettable IMO. I loved the first game, we used to have big lan parties for it on Arsclan.

The first two games were fun I thought. I agree on the third...I couldn't even get passed the first 1 or 2 hour or two. It felt as generic as that Gameloft game Dungeon Hunter. I don't know if it's the camera or the controls but the whole feel of the game just really rubbed me the wrong way.

9. Re: Torchlight 2 Free Weekend Jan 9, 2014, 22:26 Jivaro

ARPGs are just like every other genre, everyone has certain aspects they find preferable. I LOVED Sacred 2. Still play it on occasion. Most people I know hated it.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2014, 17:15 Jivaro

I will see credit score checks, department stores, flowers shops, F2P video games, and a great deal more in one day of checking the site. The only thing any of the ads have in common is that they have the word "free" plastered in bold letters all over them.

I just assumed that the ads were targeted at cheap old men that forget birthdays and anniversaries. It seemed like sound logic to me.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jan 8, 2014, 14:40 Jivaro

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 13:25:
It's not just for games, it has a desktop mode. And it appears to now have ATI support. Oh and if you want to download it, you can get it here.

Thanks for the answer and the link

1778 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo