Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Tampa, FL 10/09
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 2133 (Senior)
User ID 55841
User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 5, 2015, 16:59 Jivaro
I wouldn't complain about it being lower..

There seems to be something magical about the number 15 and video game companies when it comes to monthly subs. I wonder how they come up with that number and why it always seems to be that number. (okay, not always, but a majority of the time)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 5, 2015, 12:18 Jivaro
Much better pricing plan Sony. I can actually see many Playstation owners doing that, particularly those with families where multiple users with multiple gaming tastes are playing on the machine. It's a lot cheaper than buying everyone the games they like individually. Hell, if Nintendo offered something like this on a WiiU I would buy one today and subscribe immediately. I would prefer some sort of "Master PS+" subscription option that includes PS Now so I don't have to maintain two separate hey...that's not a big deal.

Not so sure that it's as attractive for single user situations.
News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2015, 11:49 Jivaro
Yesterday/last night, on Facebook, Ken Levine had a series of posts that appeared to be aimed at reminding people that he doesn't personally own the rights to System Shock or Bioshock. (I am not sure what started the conversation..perhaps it was the fan letter that apparently demanded that Levine tell him when Half-Life 3 was coming) Some interesting points and suggestions came from some interesting people along the way. Here are the highlights...

1) Levine said that 2K owns the rights to Bioshock and that he has no idea who owns System Shock. After some speculation by a few people someone claimed that " The Meadowbrook Insurance Groups" owned the rights, that was neither confirmed or denied by Levine. I am fairly certain he honestly doesn't know or care.

2) Brian Raynolds (Civ, AoE, Alpha Centauri) made the observation that the SS rights sounded as convoluted as the Alpha Centauri rights. At this point someone said "Oh? Do tell!" and Levine said "Yeah, do!", so Reynolds elaborated and yes it all sounds rather confusing.

2.5) Brian Reynolds joked (stated?) that he wanted to make a shooter/rpg set in the Alpha Centauri universe. Levine told Reynolds that if the shooter were to be made, to put him down for 100 copies. "Deirdre Skye running and gunning, with mindworms closing in from all directions!" -Brian Reynolds

3) George Broussard suggested that Levine start a "spiritual successor" to System Shock on Kickstarter using the Unity engine. Levine reminded George that he didn't own the rights, George said that's why you call it a "spiritual successor".

3.5) "1) leave 2k cause, ugh, 2) kickstart spiritual successor to System Shock using Unity on KS, 3) Profit " -George Broussard (quote for context)

4) Levine stated that the only game rights he owns are the ones associated to the Freedom Force franchise. I wanted to put my personal vote in for Levine to make a new Freedom Force game but I decided interjecting was inappropriate. (But man did I love those two games) The conversation was largely between developers and I am just an eavesdropping fan.

The conversation is up on Levine's public FB page is anyone is interested. I found the conversation interesting as a gamer and a fan and I appreciate that Levine is willing to host such discussions on his public page for anyone to see. These days everyone in any of the entertainment industries seems very scared to say anything about anything unless it is carefully planned to the smallest detail.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2015, 12:02.
News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2015, 13:43 Jivaro
RIP Stuart Scott. Not much to say that the Internet hasn't already stated this morning. "Cancer sucks." -Captain Obvious  
News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines and AvP 2010 No Longer Sold on Steam
7. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines and AvP 2010 No Longer Sold on Steam Jan 1, 2015, 12:37 Jivaro
Every year something likes this happens with some game. Wouldn't surprise me to see both games back on Steam fairly shortly.  
News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 31, 2014, 14:01 Jivaro
They are all the same, it just comes down to personal experience. People who have AT&T think it's worse, people who have Verizon think it's worse. Same for cable companies. All this tells me is that more Time Warner customers bothered to say something than Comcast customers. Probably because us Comcast customers are resigned to our miserable fate.  
News Comments > EA: No Origin Breach
12. Re: EA: No Origin Breach Dec 31, 2014, 13:59 Jivaro
I am not understanding some part of this.

How do you get charged for something you didn't allow through Origin? Is it possible to have a MOP tied to your Origin account? I am not at a machine with my Origin account on it but I didn't think you could do that. Guess I am wrong.
News Comments > QUAKE on an Oscilloscope
8. Re: QUAKE on an Oscilloscope Dec 30, 2014, 01:59 Jivaro
jacobvandy wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 22:28:
I'm pretty sure there are graphing calculator versions of Doom, Quake, etc. already out there, though. :p

Doom on a TI-83 Plus
News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 28, 2014, 23:04 Jivaro
I read the quote as both clickbait AND a racial slur. So there.

News Comments > Christmas Eve Mobilization
7. Re: Amazon Apps Dec 24, 2014, 22:56 Jivaro
Killswitch wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 19:56:
Thanks for the responses.

Unfortunately, I see no apparent way to make an app purchase. In the area where the option normally exists, there's "Get this app - Download the Amazon Appstore", followed by a "Continue" button that directs me to another page with instructions on how to install the Amazon Appstore on an Android device.

Perhaps the Appstore needs to be installed before seeing the purchase option on any apps?

Do you have the "one click" purchasing option enabled on your Amazon account? You may need to have that installed, particularly if there is not an active Android or Kindle/Fire device associated to your account. Stupid requirement I know, but for free digital stuff I have found that to be necessary. (Like when purchasing Kindle books that are "free" for a limited time) Even though you aren't spending money you will need to attach a credit card to your account to activate the feature. I would assume that after you are done picking out apps you could than deactivate it and remove the card from the account if you wish.

I don't know why it wouldn't work other than those possibilities. maybe somebody else has a better suggestion.
News Comments > Christmas Eve Mobilization
4. Re: Amazon Apps Dec 24, 2014, 18:04 Jivaro
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 16:32:
Killswitch wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 16:07:
I don't have an Android device at the moment, but wanted to take advantage of some of these free apps in the event that I purchase one in the future. Is there really no way of obtaining these apps without an Android that has the Amazon Appstore installed?

Yes. If you browse the sale on your PC or Mac and not through the actual mobile device, any "purchases" you make are simply added to your Amazon account, not actually installed. I just added two Amazon Fire *only* apps to my account despite only owning an Android device. Tomorrow when my wife opens up her new Kindle Fire she will be able to install the apps without going through the buying process because they will already be a part of our joint Amazon account. It's just like when you buy a digital movie or song and watch/listen to it later.

edit: There will be a confirmation window that pops up and tells you that you don't have a compatible device for the software. You just push continue and it adds it to your account.
News Comments > Christmas Eve Consolidation
7. Re: Christmas Eve Consolidation Dec 24, 2014, 15:50 Jivaro
lol..thanks for proving my point Beamer Merry Christmas.  
News Comments > On Sale
19. Re: On Sale Dec 24, 2014, 15:34 Jivaro
I am still having the same CTD with DA:I that I have been having since launch so for now it's on the shelf. I love the game but it's too frustrating with the random CTD. The new NVIDIA drivers didn't fix the problem. Eventually it will get sorted I am sure but it is a tad annoying.  
4. Re: Christmas Eve Consolidation Dec 24, 2014, 15:27 Jivaro
Beamer, sometimes I think you just write contrary shit to be contrary. Not so much trolling as you just feel like arguing. This is one of those times.

If they are serious about people even bothering to try Playstation Now they should put the controllers in. If all they want is another "feature" on the outside of the box, than they shouldn't. On the off chance that they do actually want people to use it however, they would than make the money back on the controller by getting people to use the service. You about a gazillion other services do when they offer the hardware for cheap but charge for the service.

3D failed because 3D sucks. If the goggles hadn't been included it would have failed even faster. If people deem that Playstation Now sucks it will fail as well. Without the controller, it will fail that much faster.
21. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 24, 2014, 13:00 Jivaro
Destiny had an open and closed beta and it has a demo now. There are literally thousands of Youtube gameplay videos. If people buy this game sight unseen they are choosing to do so. A company like Bungie couldn't get away from media hype if they wanted to. The media is going to pee themselves talking about Bungie's next big thing every single time they release something.

I never buy shooters on console because I hate using a gamepad for those type of games but for whatever reason I was having fun playing Destiny in beta. I enjoyed it in beta all the way up until I saw the content problems coming and cancelled my pre-order. Like so many other games it was obvious with this one that they were going to release it without enough content to make it worth the price tag. As Redmask said, the gameplay isn't the problem. It's the content vacuum you run into. Perhaps at later date I will give it a shot when the game and some of it's content expansions are at a price I deem worth it. I do know a number of people that really enjoy it though. Most of them play in organized groups.
1. Re: Christmas Eve Consolidation Dec 24, 2014, 12:36 Jivaro
Putting Playstation Now in TVs is a brilliant idea. Selling the controller seperately is a dumbass idea.

If you want people who don't already own a Playstation to actually try Playstation Now you can't put a 55 dollar "door charge" on it when they just bought a brand fucking new TV. Sony, sometimes I love you but sometimes you are just the dumbest company on the face of the planet.
News Comments > Pardo: Olympics Should Include Esports [Updated]
12. Re: Blizzard: Olympics Should Include Esports Dec 24, 2014, 12:16 Jivaro
If he wants an Olympics style Esports competition, more power to him. Blizzard and their trillions of cash can do what ESPN (and it's partners) did with the X-Games and create their own separate annual event.

News Comments > Lord British's First Game Free on
3. Re: Lord British's First Game Free on Dec 24, 2014, 12:12 Jivaro
I never even knew this game existed. My game nerd cred just took a serious blow. Probably won't ever finish it but it will be fun to install it and check it out.  
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 22, 2014, 17:27 Jivaro
I haven't played Last of Us yet, it's sitting in my console backlog, but from what I know about it (I don't know how it ends) it seems to me that you could do a sequel without having to revisit any of the characters in the first game. That might even be advisable.  
News Comments > Respawn on Titanfall on Origin vs. Steam
24. Re: Respawn on Titanfall on Origin vs. Steam Dec 20, 2014, 11:13 Jivaro
This game didn't sell anywhere near what the publisher expected on any platform. I think that speaks to the game's failings more than any one thing you can list on the PC platform specifically. I really don't think it had anything to do with Origin. Had it been a good game, generally speaking, people would have bought it regardless of Origin. PC gamers talk tough but ultimately they cave if a game is good enough. This was a new IP which means it had to really impress out of the gate and it just didn't. I agree with other folks that have pointed out the lack of single player as a major killer. On the PC specifically the game would have benefited from many of the things that other people have mentioned but the game failed as whole because it just wasn't that great of a game. Not at launch anyway. If some folks were able to enjoy it, good for them....but this fell well below everybody's expectations from a sales point of view.  
2133 Comments. 107 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

Blue's News logo