Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 1668 (Pro)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
18. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 26, 2013, 15:54 Jivaro

MindStalker3 wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 15:37:
Jivaro wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 15:11:
I wonder how her experience compares to other stores. I can't believe that 75% of XBones are busted out of the box.

No, but it being a problem with a certain batch is highly likely. MS would probably like this information so they can track down the source of that bad batch.

I have to assume MS gets that info from Gamestop eventually. I mean her system has the shipment info for each SKU and SN, and it is my understanding that these returns pop up on someone's system and correlate back to the UPS shipment number. I am assuming quite a bit though. I have been out of retail for over 6 years and I didn't really get into it with her.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 26, 2013, 15:11 Jivaro

I saw something interesting this morning.

I have a friend who manages a Gamestop. I went to visit her this morning while on my morning coffee run and she had a line of 4 people at the counter. Each one had a XBone in their hands. All four returned their systems and bought a PS4, the last 2 having to be put on a waiting list because the first two people got the last 2 PS4s in her store. Apparently she was told that people couldn't return broken XBones unless they were doing exchanges, had a receipt, and it was within the 48 hours. (or something along those lines) Since they never told her what the "exchange" has to be for she has been allowing people to change systems all together.

She is convinced her store got a full truckload of busted XBones because something like 75% of them have been returned already, where as only 2 PS4s have been returned to her store since they launched. Interestingly enough, she says she is selling more used PS3s (and PS3 games) than anything else at the moment.

I wonder how her experience compares to other stores. I can't believe that 75% of XBones are busted out of the box.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 25, 2013, 13:09 Jivaro

People still clinging to the "Vita doesn't have any games" thing are just regurgitating old headlines. Not that I blame them, Sony really didn't do much about it so that kind of repetition amongst sheeple is predictable. My wife bought me one for my birthday, so I have had a Vita since launch and if it weren't for PS+ and Skype it wouldn't have gotten half the use it has. It was pretty frustrating for awhile.

The last year, and in particular the last 6 months, has been pretty good though. More then enough games coming in regular intervals, and PS+ actually got more generous. Being able to use it with the PS4 (and in some ways with the PS3) is pretty damn cool as well. Sony screwed the launch up, but I have to give them credit for sticking with it. It's an awesome bit of hardware, so I am glad they didn't just walk away from it. Now if only they would bring the memory prices down to something even close to reasonable.

edit: also, Terraria for Vita sounds like a blast!

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2013, 13:15.

News Comments > FIFA Manager Series Cancelled
3. Re: FIFA Manager Series Cancelled Nov 25, 2013, 11:50 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 11:02:
NBA Live 14 is comically bad compared to NBA2k14. I don't even particularly like NBA2k14, its frustratingly difficult and heavy on the simulation side but I can at least appreciate it's a great game for the franchise player or hardcore fan. NBA Live 14 is good for no one which is inexcusable after its multi-year absence where they were supposedly improving on it.

I know right? NBA Live 10 is better than 14 in just about every way. It's like they tried to make a terrible game. I am accustomed to EA underwhelming me with a sports franchise entry, like Madden or FIFA. I mean the only series they make that is consistently better than the previous year's entry is NHL...which also happens to be the best sports game series in the industry IMO. This (NBA Live 14) however is a whole different thing. This isn't just underwhelming, this is laughably bad in just about every category.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2013, 10:45 Jivaro

Very sorry for your loss Blue.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 12:08 Jivaro

Sorry for your loss Blue...

..and yours Half Elf. It sounds like you have a very healthy way of looking at it.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2013, 17:24 Jivaro

I bottomed out again with only 8 correctly picked going into tonight. 1st to 10th in the span of 3 weeks.  

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2013, 00:20 Jivaro

nin wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 21:23:
mch wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 15:07:
nin wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 15:05:
I saw that but was afraid to click on the story and get depressed as fuck...

Understandable. For the most part I've been able to follow it with a smile. It's ridiculously cute and sweet...if inherently sad

OK, I did just read this:
Perhaps the most heartwarming part of this story is the news that Miles, who has been battling acute lymphoblastic leukemia since he was barely two, is currently in remission, and his last chemotherapy session was back in June.

Hopefully he's in the clear!

It was a pretty awesome story to follow all day here in the Bay Area. The newspaper printed a special edition with headlines about Miles as Batkid, KFOG and KCBS radio were both doing updates every hour or so that reported the story in a way that made it sound like "Batkid saves San Francisco", and literally thousands of people followed the events from location to location to cheer him on. It was pretty unreal.

Turns out that the Make-A-Wish foundation has done this twice before. Once in LA and once in Seattle. (I think it was Seattle) Pretty damn cool if you ask me. Even cooler that the kid is in remission. So few times we get happy endings with our news stories these days. The 7,000(!) or so people that it took to make this happen today affected many more people than just Miles. The entire Bay Area was on a bit of high just following the story. Everywhere I went today people were talking about it. Pretty cool stuff.

ABC's report on it was pretty complete.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2013, 23:21 Jivaro

Prez wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 20:46:
DrEvil wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 20:34:
"I was part of the problem.. now excuse me while I go roll in my silo of money."

Yep. Easy to admit fault now that he is hundreds of millions of dollars richer for being a failure.

And will only benefit more if the company improves since he will still own a vast number of shares.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2013, 11:51 Jivaro

RoboNerd wrote on Nov 14, 2013, 10:54:
One thing to remember is if you lose electrical power you can't generate hot water as the unit needs juice for the electronic controls.

You could put an APC battery backup (or whatever brand) on it for that purpose, could you not? I have a battery backup system installed for my garage door opener and I have it wired into the control system for my sprinkler system and security system as well. We have standard tank water heater right now but we want to switch to a tankless heater sometime in the next 4-5 years. I had assumed I could wire it into the battery backup system like the other stuff. Of course, by that time we might have our generator installed into the system, so it may not matter. Out here in earthquake country (California), it's good to have 1-4 days of personal electrical capability for whatever you consider mission critical systems. (even its just so you can turn them off properly, like the sprinkler system)

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Gameplay Footage
12. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Gameplay Footage Nov 14, 2013, 10:52 Jivaro

Bioware has done too much wrong with their last 3-4 releases for me to pre-order or pay full price for this game based on preview videos. I don't think 5 star reviews would change that for me. If it does get great reviews however, I will buy it for 25-30 bucks from somewhere eventually. Origin doesn't bug me, the graphics look fine, I love the DA universe, and the gameplay mechanics of this game look to be taking a step in the right direction. Unfortunately the reality is that EA/Bioware has gotten a lot of money out of me with its past few releases based on the Bioware brand and my fanboy love of the franchises the games were based on....and then those games turned out to disappoint in major ways. Particularly SWTOR and DA2. This game may very well be an awesome step in the right direction for Bioware. I am just not going to be one of the people gambling 60+ dollars on Bioware this time around.

Huge deal for me actually. First time I won't be playing a Bioware game on Day 1. As you all have said though, they aren't the same company they were and haven't been for some time.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 23:35 Jivaro

I went from first to third this past week. The week before was bad, this past week was worse. I normally pick one or two upsets, the problem is I picked the wrong one or two both weeks. This week most of the games seem pretty easy to pick, mainly thanks to injuries. Don't think I will make up any ground though. One of those weeks where everybody will probably pick about the same.

One division interests me this week, the NFC North. I don't think Chicago can win their game without Cutter or Tillman. I don't think Green Bay can win their game without Matthews and Rodgers. I know the Vikings aren't going to upset the Seahawks in Seattle with all their injury issues. All of that is really good news for the Detroit Lions. If they can go into Pittsburgh(?) and win, which they should be able to do, then they would be putting themselves in a great position. For the past few years Detroit has been the butt of every injury joke in the league. Interesting to see them on the other side this year. I am still not convinced Stafford is as great as the analysts seem to think, but OMFG Megatron is a beast. Bush seems pretty determined to convince the league he can handle running between the tackles as well.

News Comments > FTL: Faster Than Light Expansion Next Year
10. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Expansion Next Year Nov 11, 2013, 23:01 Jivaro

Free expansion? Awesome. Version for iPad? Interesting. I just got rid of my iPad but my wife still has hers, so I might give it a shot since it seems like a game that would translate well to a tablet. If it will run on 1st gen iPads that is.  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2013, 22:49 Jivaro

Mad Max RW wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 22:11:
Cutter wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 21:23:
I know all this stuff because it's been my dream over the last decade to get off the grid and into alternative housing. It'll happen one of these days, soon I hope.

And a few months later your emaciated corpse will be found inside an abandoned school bus. You can "know" everything. Until you apply it to real life your word is shit.

That seems unreasonably harsh for no real reason. Who the hell pissed in your Wheaties? Seems like a fairly reasonable ambition to me. I grew up in the sticks, my dad has gone off the grid, it isn't exactly nuclear physics. Just hard work.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2013, 18:57 Jivaro

Loved the g-dome we lived in as a kid. Never understood why more people who build their own homes don't choose to build a dome. So many ups, so few downs. Easy to build modularly as well.

I have no idea if they would helped these poor people or not, I am no architect and I have never read up on the subject. That storm was ridiculous in size as well. All I know is that our dome endured the '89 Bay Area earthquake and some crazy flash flooding just fine. It did however die a horrible death due to a forest fire. (years after we left) Nothings perfect I guess.

News Comments > Shocker: WoW Not Going F2P
28. Re: Shocker: WoW Not Going F2P Nov 10, 2013, 18:32 Jivaro

Kawlisse wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 03:06:
For those requesting F2P in WoW it's easy, play on a private server. there are plenty of blizz like servers out there. And unlike what people think, it's not illegal.

I would like you to explain how that isn't illegal. I promise, I will go into it with an open mind.

edit: I think Blizzard will bring an in-game marketplace to the game before they actually moe to F2P. They might even have tiered subscriptions + the store. I just don't see the benefit to them to suddenly switch to a completely F2P model when they can keep charging money. I also think that if they went F2P their server pop numbers would explode....which always has it's own costs. They have been gradually shrinking their infrastructure I would assume, going F2P would mean expanding it again no?

News Comments > The Banner Saga in January
4. Re: The Banner Saga in January Nov 9, 2013, 20:11 Jivaro

Am I the only one that was hoping this was a Hulk based gamed?

*cricket*

fine then...

News Comments > QUAKE LIVE Going Standalone; Linux and OS X Support Ending
15. Re: QUAKE LIVE Going Standalone; Linux and OS X Support Ending Nov 9, 2013, 15:05 Jivaro

If I was John Carmack I would be off doing other things as well.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 8, 2013, 23:33 Jivaro

Yep. For me personally, Comcast is only shit when it comes to customer service. They have competition in my area but they are the cheapest and fastest. My Internet rarely slows down and has probably completely dropped maybe 5 times in the last 10 years. So, all is well until I actually need to interact with the company. Calling into them is hell. 30 minutes of "push this button for that" and listening to Pay per View ads being shouted at you is what you can expect before possibly getting a real person. That person may or may not be competent. They are always plenty nice, they just aren't always any good at their job. If they do need to transfer you be prepared to get your call dropped as their phone system seems to be REALLY bad at transferring calls between departments. The unfortunate result of all this is that the only time you can get any real traction and deal with a competent person is by threatening to cancel your service very early in the call. You'll get transferred to some special department that apparently has every other department on direct dial, every promo on a shortcut key, and the authorization to do whatever it takes to not only keep you from cancelling but sell you more stuff.

It's why I only use them for Internet and not phone, home security, or TV. I can't rely on their customer service to actually be helpful. I would love to do one of those bundles and pay one bill a month. Not going to put all my eggs in one inept basket however. Particularly the home security service.

1668 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo