Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 1812 (Pro)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2014, 02:13 Jivaro

It's a completely subjective thing. I totally recognize that BSG had a huge following. That has absolutely no affect on whether I enjoy a TV show or not. To me it suffered from not just poor writing but boring writing. Even when the plot itself got interesting the actual writing was terrible. The cast was well chosen IMO. The special effects were clearly very well done. The writing just killed it for me. I never found myself actually caring about any of the characters or what happened to them. Too much long drawn out soap opera, not enough sci-fi action drama. Eventually I just stopped watching. It won awards for it's writing though, including a Peabody in 2005 I think. So yeah, subjective.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Patches
7. Re: Evening Patches Apr 9, 2014, 01:49 Jivaro

If not a save system, at least some sort of way to re-login to the same game if you join again within a given amount of time. I would think a save system would be easier to implement, but either would be fine. I find myself getting disconnected at least once a session and I know it isn't on my end. My connection isn't stopping and I don't have the problem with any other game.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Invasion Update
2. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Invasion Update Apr 9, 2014, 01:41 Jivaro

Personally, I think it's a great game if you are a subscriber. There are a lot of pay walls for F2P players though. Personally, I wouldn't be able to do it. I tell people to treat F2P as the demo. If you think you are going to stay just subscribe and get a security key. You will get 600 cartel credits per month (500 for sub, 100 for the security key), you can create 12 characters per server instead of 2, and nearly all of the pay walls will be gone. I say nearly because they have some bank and inventory expansion slots you might want to buy even if you are a subscriber. Depends on how much of a pack rat you are. Most people who sub don't need them, I however tend to keep everything.

Leveling up is basically a single player Bioware game (team building, romances, plot directing decisions, etc) with available ground and space PVP as well as team and raid level instances. Endgame is fresh at the moment due to recent content releases. Space PVP is fairly new and shows it. (unfortunately) It's fun in a very casual way. I imagine it will get better over time, but right now it's still got some kinks to work out. Space PVE is worth doing each mission once for the XP, but it is so boring and repetitive that most people stop after that.

SWTOR is still not as great as fans had hoped it would be but it really has come a long ways. If you do decide to give it a go treat the first planet like a giant tutorial. The second planet you get to is when the game starts to really form into what you can expect to see over the next 45+ levels since a variety of the team, raid, and PVP based content will be available to you as well as the story arch and side quests. If you don't like it at the end of the second planet, you probably won't ever like it. As for class selection, start with whatever sounds the most fun. The Agents and Smugglers use a type of cover based combat. Everyone else is fairly straight forward in terms of gameplay mechanics.

I play the game in stretches but I maintain my sub continuously. If you jump in and have any questions feel free to shoot me an email. I don't play with a guild since I mainly solo and PVP but there is an XP boost for most guilds, so if an established guild shoots you an invite go ahead and take it. If you don't join a guild and want to do some of the flashpoints or other team oriented content, use the group finder. It works really well, particularly at lower levels. Just make sure you tell your team that you are new. People are accustomed to racing through the group content at this point. Most people are cool with slowing down so the new guy can understand what the hell is going on.

Wow, that turned into a much longer post than I initially meant to write.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Strike Suit Zero: Director's Cut
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Strike Suit Zero: Director's Cut Apr 8, 2014, 18:33 Jivaro

I love these games for some reason, yet I don't know many other people who do. 3 bucks for the added content is nice. More gaming goodness for the backlog. Not that I am complaining, but when am I ever going to have the time to catch up....  

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Apr 8, 2014, 18:19 Jivaro

Someone just told me that the Crusader's Blessed Shield is killing the player and sometimes their groups members as part of some bug. I would advise not doing hardcore mode with a crusader until it is fixed.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 8, 2014, 13:57 Jivaro

Is that a mouse or a Decepticon?  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2014, 12:02 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 11:56:
Jivaro wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 11:45:
if Jennifer Lawrence plays Starbuck I am going to hurt someone.

Oh God, yes. HAWWWTTTT.

lol...

I didn't know that bit about the Guild. Makes sense from an employee stand point I guess.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2014, 11:45 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 11:33:
I was very excited when I saw the "new BSG movie", but it's Yet Another Reboot.

for fuck's sake, hollywood...

I am a person who found the most recent BSG and Caprica shows to be terrible and I still agree with that Creston. 20 or more years goes by and I understand a reboot. Less than 5 though? Really? Are they going to make a movie aimed at the CW/WB tween/teen crowd?

If Jennifer Lawrence plays Starbuck I am going to hurt someone.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2014, 11:39 Jivaro

Just kinda odd that he had to choose between the two. I mean, lots of people do movies and TV at the same time. Guess the filming schedules just weren't compatible.

I agree with your premise Creston, although it had to be a tough call to some extent. Thrones is a huge hit. People (like me) who haven't read the books or seen the show still know about it because it is literally everywhere. I would argue that even a supporting role on a show like that is a pretty big resume builder and a guaranteed stepping stone to bigger things whenever the show ends or his character is killed off.

Which begs a different question. I haven't read the books or seen the show but I know enough to know that Martin kills people off like Garfield eats lasagna. I am not saying his character is going to die soon, I would have no idea, but if he knows his character has a terminal point in the not so distant future than taking this movie offer is obviously brilliant. I just wonder how HBO will keep people from accepting better paying jobs in the future. Seems like they should have signed him for the duration of the character's "life" if they wanted to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 7, 2014, 22:47 Jivaro

XBOX TV boss being unclear on Playstation's TV commitment is....predictable?

I mean I am fairly certain Sony isn't running everything by MS for approval. I read the article and it sounds to me like MS is trying to convince themselves of something more than anything else.

I bought my PS4 for games and if I had bought a XBONE it would have been for games but I would make one observation: Original content is nice and all but if it isn't any good it doesn't matter how original it is. Sony already has it's own TV show and movie distribution platform built into PSN. No third party required. I can watch things I know I want to see whenever I want to see it. From my point of view their commitment seems fairly clear. Am I missing something?

News Comments > Diablo III XP Bonus
18. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Apr 5, 2014, 03:56 Jivaro

Krovven wrote on Apr 5, 2014, 01:44:
Rhialto wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 19:48:
9 months later I decide to take a look... I just wrote a post about how unbelievable that an achievement called Judge of Character is still not fixed after all that time.

What bug? I have the achievement and have for a long time.

There isn't a bug with that achievement, that was fixed quite some time ago.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Advanced Edition
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Advanced Edition Apr 3, 2014, 17:31 Jivaro

I would re-buy this game if it was on Android tablets. If they want to make it for iOS, more power to them. The game is great and the more platforms the better. That said, the exclusion of the largest tablet OS on the market seems odd to me.

Also, if you own FTL on GOG, the download available through your account has already been changed. It appears you have to re-download the entire game to get the "Advanced" part. Of course, the "entire" game is 211 MB, so no big deal.

This comment was edited on Apr 3, 2014, 17:36.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2014, 12:56 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 11:58:
This Amazon FireTV thing looks ballin. Hulu, Netflix, Instant Video and it runs Android so I can probably run XBMC and get all of my local content too. Could finally be a true all in one HTPC. Quad core CPU, 2GB of memory, remote, etc. Not bad for $99, its ability to run XBMC will be the deal breaker for me since I want something that does local content too.

Edit: oh right link - http://gizmodo.com/amazons-fire-tv-everything-you-need-to-know-1556889628

I haven't studied up on it yet, just read some summaries. I would imagine if you are already a Prime member this will be a no-brainer at 99 bucks.

News Comments > Dead Space Free on Origin
46. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 28, 2014, 11:27 Jivaro

Zanderat1 wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 10:59:
I don't get this. How is Origin any different from STEAM?

Well, I think it's less Origin specifically that is the problem and more EA. People either don't like or don't trust EA and thus don't like or don't trust Origin.

Saying Origin is just like Steam isn't really addressing the underlying concern. I personally don't give a rat's ass about using Origin. In fact I find that my Origin ID makes playing across platforms with EA products quite painless. I just recognize what other folks see as the problem...which is EA itself. That is pretty understandable all things considered.

News Comments > Dead Space Free on Origin
43. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 28, 2014, 10:18 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 08:35:
I already own this on Steam but I guess its good for people who don't. Fantastic game.

I actually activated it on Origin despite having it on Steam. EA and Valve have a messed up relationship history. Games suddenly appear, disappear, have incompatible DLC...blah blah. Yes, most of those issues work themselves out eventually rather than being permanent, but putting it on Origin makes it so I don't really have to be concerned with it. I think I would probably do the same thing with any EA game provided it didn't have a strong Workshop presence that I wanted to use.

That being said, I am not a person who cares about whether a game is on Steam, Origin, Uplay, Desura, Arc, etc etc etc. I have em all and I use them all. I also use things like Raptr and Xfire. Just depends on the game. It is the very thing I appreciate about having a PC, choice and options. I love Steam, but competition is good for the customer base in any industry.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 27, 2014, 10:12 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 09:52:
Last of Us on PS4 was a no-brainer, tons of converted Xbros who would probably pick it up after hearing all of the hype.

I have largely skipped the last year of "big" titles for the PS3 because I was betting the farm that titles like "The Last of US" would come to the PS4 one way or the other. Either a complete re-release or through the PSN. So far that has actually been the case, or at least the rumors seem to strongly indicate that it will be the case. The only way this gets better is if The Last of US hist PS+.

News Comments > Runic Cofounders Leaving
2. Re: Runic Cofounders Leaving Mar 27, 2014, 10:02 Jivaro

They accomplished quite a bit in 6 years. Very interested to see what they do now.  

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
7. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 25, 2014, 20:36 Jivaro

I am perplexed why Facebook thinks this was a good way to diversify...but business at that level is beyond me so whatever.

As for the Rift itself, I don't care who owns it. I am still game.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 19:01 Jivaro

What the what.. Facebook buys Oculus Rift?  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 25, 2014, 02:46 Jivaro

You can get a XBONE on Amazon for 400 bucks now. Comes with Forza. Have to use a code at checkout that they provide on the product page.

I am not sure if it works with the Titanfall bundle.

Still not something for me to buy, but some here might be interested now that the price is the same as the PS4.

Edit: It appears that it was a mistake. They fixed it soon after I posted this. Probably because a bunch of people that saw it on Kotaku went and bought it.

1812 Comments. 91 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo