Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 1689 (Pro)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 23, 2014, 15:43 Jivaro

The American copyright/trademark laws make about as much sense as Ozzy Osbourne. Less actually because you can at least understand Ozzie's intentions most of the time.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 23, 2014, 14:53 Jivaro

I bought my Cyberpower with exactly the same components in it that I would have used had I built it myself and it was only slightly cheaper, but cheaper nonetheless. A fact I was grateful for since I A)hadn't bought a pre-built PC since 1994 and B)had a back injury that made it impossible for me to build my own PC.

That said, I tend to buy one step down from top end in just about every catagory of components.(because I am cheap) If a person is buying the latest greatest components I don't know if they would get the same results.

*price comparison was between Cyberpower and a combination of Newegg & TigerDirect.

Alienware has never been anywhere near pricing itself competitively at any level of gaming PC. At least not at the times that I have shopped, which is roughly once every 3 years for the last couple decades. When Dell took over they went from being overpriced to being overpriced crap. (in my humble opinion of course)

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Blackguards
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Blackguards Jan 22, 2014, 21:38 Jivaro

Good game and it had a *GASP* demo that I could try first. I am buying it at the asking price.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2014, 03:46 Jivaro

Fion wrote on Jan 21, 2014, 19:39:
On a side note, don't buy Alienware. You pay a premium for the cheapest parts they can find.

Alienware = Dell, so yeah..overpriced crap.

News Comments > Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens
9. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens Jan 21, 2014, 23:04 Jivaro

I have a first gen iPad laying around so if it works on that I would play it. If not it's going to have to wait until they make an Android or Vita version.

I agree that it's a well made game, fun too. Just can't really see spending much time playing it on a PC. That is the kind of game I am much more apt to play on on a mobile device.

News Comments > Games for Windows LIVE Deathwatch
29. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Deathwatch Jan 18, 2014, 11:40 Jivaro

TheWeaponeer wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 07:24:
(snip)

You mad bro?

(sorry, I couldn't help it.....)

News Comments > WoW to Add Level-up Purchases
6. Re: WoW to Add Level-up Purchases Jan 17, 2014, 10:09 Jivaro

Choachy wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 09:58:
They are in the business of making money. And as long as people are willing to pay for it for a game that is over 9 years old, I can't blame them.

I want to disagree with this but I can't. My perspective is one of former player with multiple alts. If I were to come back to the game I would at least consider auto-leveling an alt or two since I had already max-leveled 2 other characters. Ideally I would prefer if people could not purchase a "level up" without actually having earned that same level with at least one character, but I don't play anymore and it isn't like Blizzard is asking my permission.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Jan 17, 2014, 01:08 Jivaro

I never knew this before this morning but apparently the Gilligan's Island show creator, Sherwood Schwartz, did something fairly interesting when creating the characters. Each one is based on one of the seven deadly sins. The island itself is Hell.

Lust - Ginger
Gluttony - Mrs. Howell
Greed - Mr. Howell
Sloth - Gilligan
Wrath - Skipper
Envy - Mary Anne
Pride - Professor

He didn't admit to it until years later when he wrote a book about the show and by that time many fans had already started to theorize something similar. There are still some fans that claim that Gilligan actually represents Satan, constantly doing whatever he can to keep everyone in Hell (the island). Schwartz did not make that claim in the book however.

And hear I thought I had spent my after school hours watching some mindless comedy not taking a biblical lesson.

News Comments > Dark Souls II "Cursed" Trailer
13. Re: Dark Souls II Jan 15, 2014, 22:57 Jivaro

Saboth wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 20:31:
I played the heck out of Dark Souls...one of the few games I've played through more than once and actually went through NG+ once or twice. It's kind of a love/hate relationship though, because I also had some of the most frustrating moments in gaming playing it. It's like a girl that looks like a supermodel you love to make love to, but she also maxes out your credit cards.

...and fills out applications for new credit cards.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 15, 2014, 12:40 Jivaro

It makes me wonder if a provider who was willing to not prioritize access, and actually make a big deal about that as a feature, would find themselves with a large opportunity to grab market-share in 2018 when Comcast is no longer forced to do anything. I mean, most "experts" seem to be assuming that when Comcast isn't forced to keep the gates open they won't.

I suppose for that opportunity to occur the US population would have to have figured out exactly what net neutrality is/isn't and how it affects them by 2018. Then they would have to care enough to make purchasing decisions based on that info.

On second thought, never mind, we are screwed.

News Comments > SimCity Offline Mode Coming
78. Re: SimCity Offline Mode Coming Jan 15, 2014, 12:27 Jivaro

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 12:02:
Quboid wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 11:49:
Does anyone know SimCity's sales figures compared to expected?
An arrow pointing downwards comes to mind

Depending on who you believe and where you get your numbers from the results tend to vary. My google-fu came up with Simcity 4 selling roughly 2 million units and the "new" Simcity selling roughly 1.6 million. That is "averaging" what various sources report like EA themselves, Eurogamer, Game Informer, etc. My google-fu is admittedly somewhat weak, perhaps someone else can do better.

5. Re: Dark Souls II Jan 15, 2014, 12:07 Jivaro

harlock wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 11:12:
Jivaro wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 10:42:
I am a big fan of the series gameplay but...

Is it just me or did this video kind of make the game look sort of dated visually?

"Dark Souls II will be launching in the Americas on March 11, 2014 on the PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft with the PC edition to follow shortly."

Well thank you Captain Obvious. Thanks for taking the time to copy+paste.

There are other games for those same consoles with better looking textures and more shapely models. That video, more than any for the other two games, seems to highlight that. That was all I was getting at. It's not like it will keep me from buying it, the gameplay is far too good for me to skip it only because I think the engine needs a facelift visually. Regardless of platform.

1. Re: Dark Souls II Jan 15, 2014, 10:42 Jivaro

I am a big fan of the series gameplay but...

Is it just me or did this video kind of make the game look sort of dated visually?

74. Re: SimCity Offline Mode Coming Jan 15, 2014, 03:53 Jivaro

Newbro wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 23:28:
(snip)..so I'm not sure how EA could have resolved this in the first month after release. I mean it's not like EA sees a decline in sales after few months, so tells Maxis to flip the 'offline' switch right? This is what annoys me the most.

1) If it wasn't possible to do quickly there was nothing stopping them from saying "We are going to make an offline patch but it will take awhile". Instead they chose to lie and call it impossible.

2) No man, that is exactly what EA did. Sales drop, expansion is released....flip that offline switch. Maybe the metaphorical "switch" took months of development but their lack of transparency makes it pretty clear where their priorities are. Hint: Not the customers that already paid for the game.

Lastly, yes you are trying to defend EA. You may be totally willing to admit that they have screwed up, but this isn't about fixing a screw up. This is about making a conscious design decision that NOBODY wanted. Optional online play maybe, but not mandatory. Now, a year later, they are going to patch in the "impossible" offline play at around the same time that they are selling a new expansion pack and that all sounds kosher to you? Sounds to me like EA needs to boost sales and I think it would be pretty naive to think otherwise. Giving them a pat on the back for willingly screwing over their core audience and only fixing things when they know it's the only way to sell expansion copies isn't going to get much in the way of kudos from me.

All of that said, should they continue to fix things with this game regardless of how the expansion sells, I will be among the first to applaud that. Make the cities bigger, make the game use the PC hardware more efficiently, etc. In other words make the changes to the game the people who already paid for it are (apparently) really wanting instead of making the changes that might get the holdouts to buy the game.

Who knows, I might even buy it if they do. Until than I will stick to SimCity 4.

News Comments > Catlateral Damage
11. Re: Catlateral Damage Jan 15, 2014, 03:24 Jivaro

nin wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 18:45:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 18:23:
Cats? Pfff.

Put a Raccoon in your house if you want to see damage.

Had a coworker who once told a story of a raccoon getting in his house, and him trying to remove it. It was both hilarious and horrific...I don't recall all the details, but I believe it shit all over everything and he was trying to avoid getting bit. Wish I still had the email to share.

That sounds about right. Didn't have one in my house, but we did manage to accidentally lock one in our stables over a weekend once when I was a kid. We had 50lb bags of dog food as well as the obvious horse type stuff stored in there. It shredded 2 of the dog food bags and gorged itself. I could not believe how much one raccoon could eat in 48 hours. Opened the door when we got back and the thing came tearing out...startled the shit out of me. Between the mixture of dog food, crap, piss, and hay...the smell was enough to nearly make me gag. The clean up was a horrible experience.

News Comments > DayZ Sells 1M in One Month
13. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 14, 2014, 12:32 Jivaro

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 11:30:
Every buyer has a choice on how they want to spend their money. If it's for Early Access so be it. The funnest game I've played in quite a spell is 7 Days to Die and it is in Early Access, it is totally playable and only gets better. But I knew what I was getting myself into. Obviously DAYZ is well enough as-is since people are buying it, word of mouth is good etc. The company selling the product is totally up-front about the games status. I don't get what we are poo poo'ing here? Seller clear, buyer ok with it, get over it. Game is obviously a lot of fun as-is for many. 7D2D is more fun than almost all finished games I've played. Bottom line.

Quoting because I couldn't think of anything better to say. That pretty much covers it. I say that as a person who rarely buys early-access games and has only contributed to 5 kickstarters. I beta test a lot of games, paying to play games still in beta is a hard sell to me personally. That doesn't mean everyone else has to think or play or want the same thing as me though. It certainly doesn't indicate the coming apocalypse of PC gaming.

63. Re: SimCity Offline Mode Coming Jan 13, 2014, 22:43 Jivaro

Newbro, I am not going to call you an ass, I have no idea if you are ass or not. I do think you are missing the point though. This board is notoriously cynical, I don't think anyone here would argue that. In this particular case however the point (as I see it in this thread anyway) is that EA could have done this offline mode in the first month or so after release if they were doing it "for the customers" as opposed to nearly a year later "for the business". Put simply, this is like EA saying the cliche' "Come back baby, I promise I will change this time!". Kinda of hard to take seriously this late in the game. All puns intended.

To spin it another way, I am sure there is a contingent of paying customers who are wondering why they can't get bigger city maps or mult-thread processing or....well you get my point. Existing players want solutions to existing issues. These people paid money for a game with online only use, it stands to reason that it probably isn't their biggest concern. Going with an offline mode is nice for the modding community, and that's great, but when you say for such a long time that something isn't possible and than you suddenly decide to do it at around the same time that it benefits you the most, pretending it is for the customer and not for yourself is a bit of a dick move.

I would be shocked if the folks here didn't jump on it. They should. The time to react to your existing customer base is immediately if your focus really is on the customers, not after you have already bled your core audience dry and need to find a new one to pay the bills with. This is the kind of thing that gets EA voted Worst Company in America.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 13, 2014, 22:22 Jivaro

My first response would be the same Virge. I would however be more flexible about it if the memory prices came down significantly. Right now you effectively pay twice as much as the retail cost for a digital game because the memory prices are so ridiculous.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: That final Saints play Jan 12, 2014, 02:31 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Jan 11, 2014, 23:31:
I mean... what? The guy genuinely thought that doing a lateral pass was a better option than stepping out of bounds and giving Brees a final throw into the end zone?

I assumed the lateral was a planned part of the play and he simply let his forward momentum affect his throw.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 12, 2014, 02:27 Jivaro

Currently I go to Youtube for the comments section. I am writing a short story about a group of people and their life after a lobotomy. The comments section of nearly any video is a great source of material.  

1689 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo