Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 2059 (Senior)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2015, 16:20 Jivaro

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 14:29:
If you are a fan of fantasy RPGs, own a PS3 and haven't played Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen yet, now is the time.

Sam speaks the truth. Great game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mortal Kombat X Trailer; Goro Preorder Bonus
14. Re: Mortal Kombat X Trailer; Goro Preorder Bonus Jan 15, 2015, 13:24 Jivaro

Sports and fighting games are why I buy a non-Nintendo console every generation. Every console generation this is my go to fighting game. (and to a lesser extent, Street Fighter as well) It's made for a big TV, in the living room, a couple of arcade sticks, and a bunch of drunk/stoned adults reliving their childhood in the arcades. Of course, some of us have children old enough to drink that are now kicking our asses at our own game. Can't wait.

As for the pre-order carrot/stick debate: I suspect that I am the target audience for this particular pre-order so perhaps I am biased in this particular case. That said, my general feeling about pre-order rewards is that I have no problem with companies doing it. They usually put the stuff out there as paid DLC or include it in a GOTY edition anyway so if you are looking at a game that you want to wait until you see player/critic reviews before buying I am not really sure I see how you are being punished. Nobody is entitled to a game or it's optional content. If you don't like how they sell it, don't buy it. Don't play it. Don't even pirate it since they look at torrent numbers when judging the popularity of a game. You as a consumer have told the company that you don't like what they do. It's up to that company to decide on whether or not they will do it in the future.

I have never played a number of popular titles because I didn't agree with something the company did. The Assassin's Creed franchise jumps out of my mind first. My life has gone on just fine and I don't really feel like I am missing anything. The point is that they did some shit I didn't like and I didn't buy their stuff. That's what sensible and mature individuals do in a capitalistic society. I am certainly not going to go steal it or any of the games. When a store does something I don't like I don't start stealing their stuff, I go to another store. I mean, it isn't like there is some shortage of games on the market to go and play instead.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2015, 12:50 Jivaro

I saw Avatar at home on a 50" TV rear projection TV, not in a theater or with 3D. Many of the things it was touting at the time are kind of lost on me I suppose. I liked the movie well enough I guess, I just found the writing to be very poor. Maybe it was just the hype machine. In any event I only saw it the one time. I would go see a sequel but unless it was decidedly better than the original I wouldn't bother with 2 more.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 14, 2015, 10:41 Jivaro

Beamer wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 20:23:
nin wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 19:51:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 19:49:
In his defense, when Annie Hall was written, TV was trash. The Love Boat, Brady Bunch, Happy Days, Three's Company, etc.

Maybe he can do a show about molesting children!

Can Roman Polanski co-create?

Maybe they can get Bill Cosby to be in it.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Accidentally Revealed?
9. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Accidentally Revealed? Jan 14, 2015, 10:22 Jivaro

Prez wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 10:04:
Wow, all of the negative ninnies here... I for one think this would be fantastic!

I think it has the potential to be pretty cool as well. I won't deny that it could just as easily be trash, but I really dig the concept.

News Comments > Grim Fandango HD This Month; Preorders Underway
9. Re: Grim Fandango HD This Month; Preorders Underway Jan 13, 2015, 10:41 Jivaro

Brilliant game. Can't wait to play it again.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2015, 15:26 Jivaro

Manning isn't really one to use excuses, historically speaking. "Everyone plays with injuries at this time of year" is the kind of thing Manning typically says and has said in the past. I think they hid the injury details to keep defenses from going after the leg. I would if I were them.

How much it really did affect him is anyone's guess. Obviously not enough to put in the backup. He actively hid it since the league doesn't mandate listing the severity of a playable non-head injury. Now that the season is over he admitted to the details of it.

The only part of this that leaves me scratching my head is the play calling. I mean, Rodgers has a torn calf muscle. Instead of trying to throw 30+ yard strikes while running out of the pocket on every play they have seriously re-worked the playbook to keep him in the pocket. Lots of pass plays from the shotgun or pistol formation with a RB staying back to block and than releasing on delay to give Rodgers a place to dump the ball if he gets pressured up the middle. The Denver offense kept using 5 or 7 step drops from under center with 20+ and 30+ out routes to both sides of the field on 2nd/3rd and short plays. I found that odd because after the first few it was obvious Manning wasn't on target. It was also odd because Anderson was playing out of his head. They should have been handing him the ball on anything under 5 yards until Indy could prove they were able to stop him.

My bottom line is that I think the offensive play calling had more to do with them losing the game than Manning's leg. I would say given his control over the play calling on the field that puts the blame firmly at his feet.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2015, 11:45 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Jan 12, 2015, 09:07:
I hope the Pack can pop Seattle's balloon, no desire to see them return to the Bowl this year.

It's too bad that Rodgers is having to gut out an injury right now. He is doing a great job but the Seahawks are undoubtedly going to blitz straight up the middle repeatedly to try to force him out of the pocket. Normally that would be suicide for any defense as Rodgers is highly mobile and statistically the best quarterback against the blitz in the game today. With this injury though, as we saw yesterday, that's a problem. Dallas didn't have the ability to consistently test that leg but when they did it was obvious how limiting it was. I think that if Dallas had put a focus on that type of pressure early in the game, rather than waiting until the second half of the game and letting Rodgers get into his groove, the outcome might have been a bit different. Best of luck to him though. That's the stuff of pro football legend if he can go into Seattle and beat them on one leg.

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 2015, 12:04.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2015, 21:58 Jivaro

Overall, I think they get more right than they do wrong with instant replay and I am not prone to conspiracy theories. This particular referee was the same one that made a nearly identical call on a Calvin Johnson non-reception a couple years ago, so at least he is consistent. Easy for me to say I guess, not being a Cowboys or a Packers fan.

If it were me, I wouldn't have overturned the call on the field regardless of what it was given the angles provided. If it had been ruled incomplete it would have stayed that way and if it had been ruled complete it would have stayed that way. I just didn't see enough to qualify as "convincing" evidence. I also don't think they wrote the rule intending for a play like that to be ruled an incomplete pass. Perhaps they need to look at the wording again.

My initial thought/suggestion is that if the player has the ability to make the attempt to reach for the end zone with the ball than that has to be considered a football move regardless of how many steps the player has taken.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2015, 11:55 Jivaro

In honor of the modern online-only RPG, here is your *virtual birthday gift* for being a lifetime subscriber to..err...life! Pretend it's anything you like!

Happy Birthday to BluesNews very own Ant-Man!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2015, 20:44 Jivaro

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 15:48:
Woot. Got my invitation for the Amazon Echo. Won't be for a while, but interested in the audio quality....

I am seriously jealous. I really wanted to give that a go.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback
6. Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 9, 2015, 12:55 Jivaro

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 12:54:
Jivaro wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 12:52:
these players will have less than they had before the incident?

Not sure how did you end up with that conclusion.
From the text in the news story:
reset themselves to their pre-credit-refund state

I totally see how I came to that conclusion..lol...I didn't see the part you quoted the first time. Thanks for pointing it out.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback
4. Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 9, 2015, 12:52 Jivaro

Someone explain this to me...they are going to wipe all the funds of the "billionaires" despite admitting that those players didn't knowingly do anything wrong? As in, these players will have less than they had before the incident?

If that's true I am not sure I understand how that is "fair". I am not saying they should be able to keep all of it, but it seems odd to me that they would clean them completely out.

News Comments > Double Dragon Trilogy Next Week
3. Re: Double Dragon Trilogy Next Week Jan 9, 2015, 11:51 Jivaro

I look at it like board and card games. For example, first there was Uno. Than there was Travel Uno and Uno for Kids and they added and took away various aspects of what was originally a pretty simple and fun game. Than they made a whole new version of the normal sized Uno...but it had all the stuff that Travel and Kids Uno had in it. The game changed with the platform, the platform changed the game. Seems like, for good or bad, that happens with quite a bit of the older games these days. The people who played the games in their original form aren't generally fans but the folks who didn't seem to be eating it up.

I can't speak for the rest of you obviously but I have friends that are my age that never were really in to PC gaming as kids or young adults. Consequently the games they see on their mobile devices are new to them in many ways. Now they are adults and professionals with home or work computers that they occasionally game on. When they play a game on their desktop or laptop they want it to work just like it did on their tablet or phone. (assuming that's where they saw it first) They don't care that their little tablet RTS could have much better AI, longer building ques, better graphics, better sound, etc etc. They want it to be cheap and they want it to look just like it did before. That's pretty easy to accomplish if you start off with an older "retro" game in the first place I imagine.

I am just pre-caffeine typing out loud..but it seems to me that a smart company could make some pretty good margins off of that kind of a target market.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 8, 2015, 12:21 Jivaro

Yeah um...most schools and after school clubs don't use social media for adult to child communication, even if the child is a late teen. Coach to parent maybe, but not directly to the student/player/child. At least in most towns/cities. Mistake or not, it's odd that he has their social media info. If not just odd..a horrible idea. As was mentioned below, a central website or blog is the norm.

In a small town where everyone knows everyone it would be a bit more understandable. Everyone in my old hometown of 2000 people is on everyone's friends list regardless of age. It's still a horrible idea but turning someone down has all those small town politics type repercussions. Many people choose to have 2 FB pages, one with their real name that portrays whatever they want the general public to see and one that uses a fake name and only their close family and friends have. Of course all of them think they are the only ones that are doing that...lol.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 8, 2015, 10:56 Jivaro

Slick wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 18:14:
playstation TV is fucking terrible.

What exactly makes it terrible? If you own one I would be interested to hear what problems you have had. I like mine. Makes for a great 2nd TV streaming device and gaming console. It is a highly specific product that probably wouldn't appeal to anyone that doesn't already own a Vita and a PS4 though.

News Comments > Aliens Games Back on Steam
12. Re: Aliens Games Back on Steam Jan 8, 2015, 01:39 Jivaro

Jerykk wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 23:34:
Jivaro wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 18:00:
lol..called it. Every year it seems like there is at least one well known title, franchise, or publisher that has their stuff pulled from Steam for whatever reason at the turn of the year. Video game sales and distribution rights seems so unnecessarily complicated to me.

Except they usually don't come back. See Wolfenstein (2009), Deadpool, Dragon Age 2, Prey, Clive Barker's Jericho, FUEL, etc.

That is actually a pretty hefty list of games that have not returned, many of which I hadn't even noticed were gone. That said, it wasn't my point that they "usually" come back. It was my point, just as I wrote, that it seems like there is always at least ONE of these well known titles that comes and goes and comes back and there never really is a clear reason explained to anyone. Always around the turn of the year as well.

For whatever reason, probably because I have zero faith that Sega has any idea what it's doing, I assumed this was a blunder of some sort when it was first noticed. Well that and the fact that Sega doesn't have a distribution client of it's own. Had it been an EA game like Dragon Age 2, I would have assumed that they had decided to only offer the game through their own distribution software.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2015, 01:50.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2015, 18:17 Jivaro

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think the influx of movies is appropriate for the genre even if it is somewhat new for the medium. Comic books are episodic, they come out on a regular basis and they are continually telling a story with many mini stories within it. Marvel is doing that with the Marvel Universe in the movie theaters rather than just in comics or cartoons. (DC is apparently going to try that as well) Besides, if they don't do it this way they will have to keep recasting roles instead of having one actor play the same character in multiple movies.

This golden age of the superhero movie reminds me greatly of glory days of the Western. Everybody pronounced the Western dead over and over again but Hollywood had an incredible stable of actors and characters and as such the audience kept watching them. Eventually the interest will plateau and perhaps even slide. I think we are quite sometime from that as long as they keep introducing new characters instead of having the same 3 characters (Batman, Spiderman, and Superman) over and over again.

Hollywood is still going to make other movies and even Disney itself seems to be all in with rebooting all of it's fairy tale type stuff. I am really looking forward to the next decade of movies.

News Comments > Wizardry Online Revival Speculation
1. Re: Wizardry Online Revival Speculation Jan 7, 2015, 18:04 Jivaro

But why? It was horrible.  

News Comments > Aliens Games Back on Steam
1. Re: Aliens Games Back on Steam Jan 7, 2015, 18:00 Jivaro

lol..called it. Every year it seems like there is at least one well known title, franchise, or publisher that has their stuff pulled from Steam for whatever reason at the turn of the year. Video game sales and distribution rights seems so unnecessarily complicated to me.  

2059 Comments. 103 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo