Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 2115 (Senior)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2015, 12:04 Jivaro

That Kimmel video is hilarious.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
40. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 26, 2015, 23:41 Jivaro

My i5-2500k is a workhorse that was worth twice as much as I paid for it. The performance/cost ratio on that thing is awesome. I bought it when it was a year off the presses (early 2012 I believe) and I expect to have it for at least another 2 years. For a processor in one of my gaming rigs that is a hell of a lifespan. Easily one of the top 3 PC hardware purchases I have made in 20+ years of PC building when looking at cost of ownership as the primary buying motive.

Of course the reason that my processor (and my Nvidia 570) will both have such long life spans is because I have changed my upgrading policy. I used to upgrade as soon as there was a game I wanted to play regularly that I couldn't run at full everything. Now that I have a mortgage I make myself wait not just on the upgrade but on that game...at least until there are quite a few of those games. Elite and SC have me tempted, particularly since I can run both of them currently at reduced settings, but I think I am going to wait for now.

News Comments > FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband
83. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 26, 2015, 23:13 Jivaro

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 20:22:
Jivaro wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 20:11:
To me this whole thing has been an interesting event to experience. The media has done a fabulous job of confusing the general public. The politicians have done a fabulous job of confusing the public. The ISP companies have done a great job of confusing the public. Fuck, even the public has confused the public.

This is a good thing and if it hadn't happened under the current administration it would happen under the next. Nobody seriously thought the Internet wasn't destined to be a utility. Even the ISPs knew it was coming. The only points of real contention was which party was going to get historical credit for doing it and how long could the ISPs stall it so as to keep their margins as high as possible. There might even be some lawsuits to try to stall it a bit longer, nobody with a brain cell believes they will go anywhere.

Jivaro, you think like me. (my apologies if you don't agree) I think we only have gridlock because a lot of the things that Obama has gone after are really big ticket items and the other wants the credit, they are scared of the success it could bring.

This boils all the way down to most city halls. It's about my idea, not yours, I dream of someday being in a much more powerful position and I can't make it there with your ideas, it has to be mine.

Yep, for the most part that is exactly what I think. At all levels of politics most of the people involved agree on the goals when it comes to major projects. They just argue over who is going to get the credit and whose buddies are going to get the work contracts.

News Comments > FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband
37. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 26, 2015, 20:11 Jivaro

To me this whole thing has been an interesting event to experience. The media has done a fabulous job of confusing the general public. The politicians have done a fabulous job of confusing the public. The ISP companies have done a great job of confusing the public. Fuck, even the public has confused the public.

This is a good thing and if it hadn't happened under the current administration it would happen under the next. Nobody seriously thought the Internet wasn't destined to be a utility. Even the ISPs knew it was coming. The only points of real contention was which party was going to get historical credit for doing it and how long could the ISPs stall it so as to keep their margins as high as possible. There might even be some lawsuits to try to stall it a bit longer, nobody with a brain cell believes they will go anywhere.

News Comments > Into the Black
10. Re: Into the Black Feb 24, 2015, 22:51 Jivaro

Reading that article and not watching the video is pointless. The title was most likely conceived with the notion that a viewer would read the article and view the video, not one or the other. Given that they provide both without having to follow a link to a third party page, it's a fair thing to expect from the reader. Unless of course the video is unavailable to you for some reason like geographic location or something I suppose.  

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Feb 24, 2015, 17:40 Jivaro

Orogogus wrote on Feb 24, 2015, 03:29:
InBlack wrote on Feb 24, 2015, 02:52:
Wallshadows wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 19:11:
Nice misleading title there. What point were they trying to make, exactly?

Why is the title misleading? They went to the Oscars dressed up as women while tripping on acid. Why does there have to be a point beyond that?

Because the title says so? Hence, misleading?

I watched the video, I understood the point. I don't understand what is misleading about the title. Their point was "fuck this Hollywood bullshit". They view the Hollywood scene as bullshit and the Oscars as a celebrity circle jerk. They were amused by celebrities who actually acused them of "ruining their special night".

The point seems pretty clear. Did it need to be made? Was that the way to do it? Does it lose a bit of it's punch when you are the only two people that know you are currently tripping balls? If you don't spell it out for the media, should you be shocked when they have absolutely no clue what to say about it? Those would be reasonable questions.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2015, 11:12 Jivaro

Boyhood is unique in how it was made but, IMHO, it wasn't better than Birdman as a finished product. Don't get me wrong, Boyhood is excellent and worth watching. I just think the award went to the better overall movie.

People talk a lot about the 12 year span over which Boyhood was made because nobody does that. It isn't a red flag. If all people talked about were it's bloom effects that would be a red flag.

News Comments > Diablo III Microtransactions Coming to Asia
25. Re: Diablo III Microtransactions Coming to Asia Feb 22, 2015, 02:30 Jivaro

I know it's an overused saying and I know people REALLY hate it when other people say it but....Things are worth exactly what people are willing to pay for them. No more, no less.

It should be noted however that some digital services are "quantity" regulated by their price. In other words they purposely make it costly so people don't do it without a good reasons. A good example would be the character server transfers in WoW. For a ton of reasons they need to be able to keep server populations predictable, stable, and consistent. If transfers were 5 bucks that would make all of that pretty tough.

I suppose some would argue that if you limit people to one transfer every so many days/months/years/whatever you eliminate that issue however I don't know enough about these sort of things to comment on that angle.

News Comments > Old School RuneScape Adds F2P
3. Re: Old School RuneScape Adds F2P Feb 20, 2015, 12:55 Jivaro

Suppa7 wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 12:36:
Jivaro wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 10:14:
Wait a damn minute.

2007 is old school?

Think about birth cohorts. Someone who was born in at the edge of the 1990's and around 2000.

IMHO, if they are that young they aren't old enough to reference anything they have experienced in life as "old school".

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Feb 20, 2015, 11:45 Jivaro

I recently had a discussion about CGI with a buddy, basically my side of it went like this:

Michael Bay, in my opinion, made terrible Transformer movies. He made some great robot battle scenes but he made terrible Transformer movies. Michael Bay thinks Transformer movies should only be about big robots having big battles, making big explosions. The actual story and plot don't matter. Plug any actor or actress in, get any writer, the results will be the same because the guy controlling the end result is the same. Michael Bay doesn't think this way because of the existence of CGI. He thinks this way because he sees big robots from another planet and that is what his mind conjures up. Michael Bay would have made shitty Transformer movies using the Star Trek: TOS or the Japanese Gozilla movie technology of the 60s. Change the tools, change the decade...I don't believe it would really matter.

CGI isn't the problem, it is simply a tool. Like any tool, it's only as good as the wielder. Blaming a tool for a shitty result only works when it's the only tool available to use.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 20, 2015, 11:09 Jivaro

The only game I ever really play on my Galaxy S3 is that Marvel Puzzle Quest. Fun little game for occasionally passing the time in the lobby of a doctor's office or something and I am sure they are making a mint off of it.  

News Comments > Old School RuneScape Adds F2P
1. Re: Old School RuneScape Adds F2P Feb 20, 2015, 10:14 Jivaro

Wait a damn minute.

2007 is old school?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 17, 2015, 23:06 Jivaro

Really too bad about the Last Guardian.

To me, if it ever sees the light of day I might buy it if it reviews REALLY well....but I gave up on the game a long time ago. History hasn't been kind to games that fall into this kind of development hell.

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Public Beta
19. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Public Beta Feb 15, 2015, 00:22 Jivaro

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 19:43:
I love the game. It does a great job of bringing the feel back. Backer since day 1.

Same.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
3. Re: Saturday Interviews Feb 14, 2015, 13:38 Jivaro

He is becoming somewhat of a sacrificial lamb for gamer frustration. Not saying he hasn't earned it, but there will be a point where they are beating a dead horse.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
39. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 13, 2015, 21:25 Jivaro

Necrophob wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 17:05:
It feels like low hanging fruit to me. The "journalist" found some one he can whip on for clicks, and no fear of reprisal. It's not like RockPaperShotgun is worried about never having early access to 22Can games. If this was Bobby Kotick (who deserves a talking to, imo), I'm sure it would have been much more polite.

fair enough...I am no Kotick fan but what has Bobby lied about? He has made lots of decisions that fans of his company's games didn't appreciate but he hasn't lied to customers or shareholders to my knowledge. Not running your company the way some folks think you should is far less offensive than straight up lieing to the people who give you money. This interview doesn't feel like low hanging fruit to me at all. It was exactly what was needed. At any time Peter could have walked out of that room and he didn't. He knows he has dug himself into a hole and he was hoping to talk himself out of it because talking is what he is good at. John didn't let him do that when many so-called journalists would have.

News Comments > Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence
10. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 13, 2015, 21:14 Jivaro

That has to be one of the most awkward, confusing, intense, and revealing interviews that I have ever read. Like, in any industry...not just video games. PMoly believes his own bullshit all the way up until he becomes aware it is bullshit, and which time he comes up with new bullshit...that much is clear.

Part of me feels like it was kind of unprofessional of the interviewer to be so accusatory and emotional with the phrasing of some of those questions but the reality is that I would have been pretty damn frustrated and accusatory if I was the interviewer as well. PMoly was consistently giving nonsensical and contradictory answers and when he was called out on it he would simply continue to dodge instead of just saying "we fucked up". The only time he comes out and says he messed up was with Brian...and even than it's because he can't really say anything other than that. I mean...2 damn years? What in the hell?

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Trailer
22. Re: Just Cause 3 Trailer Feb 13, 2015, 17:31 Jivaro

My step-son didn't really get into the first game but he loved the second game. Played it for hours and hours on both PC and PS3. I haven't told him about a third game yet because I am hoping to surprise him.

I on the other hand was kind of "meh" about both the 1st and 2nd game. Nothing really jumps out at me as a reason, they just didn't grab me I guess. Might have to go re-install the second one and give it a whirl just to see.

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 Multiplayer Revealed
23. Re: Mass Effect 4 Multiplayer Revealed Feb 13, 2015, 17:26 Jivaro

Task wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 16:53:
Or will they do a cop out and resurrect Sheppard AGAIN with space magic.

They already said no Shephard. It could be a lie they made up to mess with us I suppose.

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 Multiplayer Revealed
11. Re: Mass Effect 4 Multiplayer Revealed Feb 13, 2015, 10:54 Jivaro

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 10:35:
SlimRam wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 10:34:
Because Mass Effect was always about multiplayer...

From my hearings quite a few had fun with Mass 3's MP.

Yeah, my friends and I liked the multiplayer in ME3 too. I don't think any of us bought the game looking forward to that particular game mode, but it was a nice bonus.

I didn't feel like the multiplayer took away from the single player game in ME3, so as long as that continues to be true in ME4 I have no problem with them adding that sort of gameplay mode. The ME universe, with all of it's variety and history, lends itself well to a multiplayer component.

2115 Comments. 106 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo