Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 2059 (Senior)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
43. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2015, 15:14 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 09:05:
Also the PC gaming show sucked because AMD was the main sponsor and didn't put a lot of money into it. Nvidia wanted to do a lot but was prevented from doing anything due to the contract with the expo.

PC Gamer magazine, or any gaming website/magazine, shouldn't be the sponsor/host for such a thing either. IMO anyway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2015, 15:02 Jivaro

I don't know about your area Blue but here in my little unincorporated town on the west coast the local and county officials that deal with wildlife conservation and park services will respond to information provided from a resident that indicates that a young animal might be in some sort of distress. For example, if I called in that young deer as having what looked to be tumor or benign growth and told them the last known location they would send someone out or give me a number to call immediately the next time I saw it. I have seen birds with bags caught around their necks or feet get caught and "de-bagged", raccoons and other small mammals get rescued from areas they got into but couldn't get out of, and once I even saw a red-tailed hawk get saved from the barbed wire fence he had managed to get tangled in. They don't just rescue the animals either. They take them to a clinic for a check-up, provide any needed medical services (including surgeries), and in some occasions they get tags that the county services can than use to identify them if they come in to contact with people again. Some of this infrastructure exists because of the various endangered species programs in California. Some of it exists because of how the agricultural areas of the state usually share borders with the suburbs of the larger cities.

I live in an area that is basically the border between civilization and the country side though. Might be different in a more urban area, let alone a whole other state.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 17, 2015, 01:44 Jivaro

They could call it Uber Amazon maybe?  

News Comments > Batman Arkham Knight Trailer
4. Re: Batman Arkham Knight Trailer Jun 17, 2015, 01:42 Jivaro

Pre-ordered. I think it will be a blast. I loved all of the previous games, even Blackgate. I doubt seriously I won't get my moneys worth out of this new one.

That said, I also doubt I will be spending any money on DLC that doesn't come with my pre-order. All of the various skins, retailer specific add-on missions, etc has really gotten out of hand.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
4. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 16, 2015, 18:13 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 13:41:
...but a new galaxy would probably mean no Krogan, no Turians, no Asari etc, and that would suck. :\

Yeah...I am a huge ME fan but if it's just humans or humans vs machines or something along those lines I am going to be disappointed. I wouldn't mind new species of aliens, but getting rid of the old favorites would be a letdown.

News Comments > Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Instantly Funded
34. Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Instantly Funded Jun 16, 2015, 18:07 Jivaro

Looking forward to it. A revolutionary game(s) at it's time that will no doubt be worth the amount of money paid for it, even if it is highly unlikely that it will be nearly as cool in 2016(?) as it was back than.

I don't have a problem with Sony announcing the Kickstarter personally. I don't even find it at all shady. If we find out that Sony already gave him enough money to make a publishable game and then the Kickstarter started, that would be shady. I suppose there a few other ways it could have been shady as well. If all they are doing is giving the hype wheel a massive turn so that both the Kickstarter and eventually their platform benefit...that is just smart business and one of the few times the current game industry allows some fan service that doesn't include cleavage.

I know some of you have this "grass roots" mentality about Kickstarter and maybe you are right that it should work that way. In this case, I just can't find a way to get my boxers in a twist about it.

News Comments > Mirror's Edge Catalyst in February
5. Re: Mirror's Edge Catalyst in February Jun 15, 2015, 18:38 Jivaro

I can dig it.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced
1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Jun 15, 2015, 18:36 Jivaro

Very much looking forward to this. I know this site isn't full of fans of this game, but I dig it. The last expansion was more than a bit lacking in terms of "fresh" stuff though. Glad they are going to introduce some truly new content.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 4, 2015, 11:24 Jivaro

I imagine that...

"I can tell you definitively that our team has never committed more resources to making Windows better for game developers and gamers.."

...reads like...

"I won't hit you no more baby, I promise. For real baby, I won't hit you again...."

...to just about any long time PC gamer.

News Comments > Spike Lee Directing NBA 2K16 MyCareer
3. Re: Spike Lee Directing NBA 2K16 MyCareer Jun 4, 2015, 11:20 Jivaro

The actual game of basketball...as in playing it...translates as well as any sport. That being said, the MyCareer aspect of the NBA2K games has been one of the least entertaining or interesting game modes in all of sporting video games. The fact that they can take 90 minutes of Spike talking and drag it out to 12 hours of in-game drama does absolutely nothing to make me believe that will change. Perhaps I am being too pessimistic about something I don't know much about yet, but this attempt to improve MyCareer just doesn't sound appealing.

NBA2K is still the superior game to NBA Live in just about every way possible.

News Comments > Diablo III Turns Three on PC; Celebrates With Console Buffs
4. Re: Diablo III Turns Three on PC; Celebrates With Console Buffs May 15, 2015, 10:10 Jivaro

nin wrote on May 15, 2015, 09:35:
hehehehehehehe...

Still enjoying the PS4 version eh?

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization May 14, 2015, 11:20 Jivaro

Armengar wrote on May 14, 2015, 10:57:
my galaxy S5 writes to the SD card quite happily in camera and other apps. And with a 64gb SD card it works very well. The galaxy S5 recently replaced a "bought on launch day" galaxy s2 that is just about still working; the charging socket is shot and there is a hairline fracture in the body casing. Battery has been changed but the screen is pristine. The S2 is now living as a media box running XBMC on a small screen TV (via HDMI of course).

In a couple of months I will be replacing my S3 with a S5 or the newest Note. Both are pretty sweet devices. The S6 is a great phone but I am not ready to give up the SD card slot yet. That's a great re-purposing idea for your S2. Think I will do the same thing with my S3. I already use an original iPad as a digital photo album/picture frame.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation May 13, 2015, 22:36 Jivaro

See, if I were in charge at EA I would have gone into full on troll mode and announced Tom Brady as the cover athlete.

Than, a week later, I would claim to be making a change due to "listening to our fans" and put Johnny Manziel on there instead. You know...for the double troll.

Maybe use someone like Greg Hardy the third week, and so on. Only after a month of that would I have announced the actual cover.

I know, my sense of humor is off.

News Comments > All Future Battlefield 4 Content Free
20. Re: All Future Battlefield 4 Content Free May 10, 2015, 15:12 Jivaro

While I have no doubt that people honestly feel that their opinions are justified and that there are far too many bugs and problems, I just can't help but feel like there is this wave of hate that people really want to ride when it comes to Battlefield and Call of Duty games. I am not feeling sorry for Activision of EA, their hype machines basically guarantee the backlash because they can't possibly deliver the games that they promise. Particularly when they are willing to ship completely bugged products with promised features missing and day one DLC. At the same time, so many people play these games for hundreds of hours then go online and complain about how crappy they are. If they are so bad why do those same people go buy the DLC, or the next game..or even pre-order? If you think the answer is "the mainstream sheep just take whatever the publishers shove towards them" than you really are dense. I mean what..everyone else are sheep and you are the only one that can see what is really going on? Give me a break. Things are worth what people will pay for them. These games are getting more expensive to make and to sell because more and more people are finding them fun to play despite their very predictable launch issues. They have a serious amount of "replayablity" while providing some incredible "HOLY CRAP DID YOU SEE THAT" moments and many gamers value both of those things tremendously. (probably because unlike many of us, many gamers only buy a few games a year...where as I get the feeling that the people who post here tend to buy every game they can because gaming isn't just a form of entertainment to us, it's our hobby)

Don't get me wrong, I am not what anyone would call a real fan of either series. I am not a huge fans of FPS games just in general. Once in a while I buy an entry in either series when it reaches a price I am willing to pay, has been patched up completely, has a GOTY edition or something similar, and even than I do it out of curiosity. These are two sales leaders in their genre after all. Sometimes I buy them on the cheap just because I want to see what everyone was talking about. I always seem to get my moneys worth out of them. Probably because my expectations line up with the price I paid. Perhaps the hate train would be more lightly loaded if more people either skipped the games completely since they already seem to know they won't like them or simply waited until the purchasing conditions matched their expectations.

edit: Also, Slick is right about BF4 and the patching campaign. Very few games have ever had the kind of post-release attention that BF4 has had. Sure, you can complain that it shouldn't have needed it in the first place and that is valid. That doesn't change the fact that it's getting the attention though.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2015, 15:22.

News Comments > Into the Black
12. Re: Into the Black May 8, 2015, 18:24 Jivaro

I have seen Age of Ultron twice now and I can confirm that they put an awful lot into a shorter time than they probably should have. I get it, they wanted the movie to be of a certain length and both Marvel and Whedon wanted certain things covered...but even as a huge comic book geek it took me two times through before I could honestly say I actually caught everything the movie was telling the audience.

Whedon isn't Michael Bay (THANKFULLY!) and yet the first time I saw the movie I had that same "I don't know what just happened but it looked cool" feeling numerous times. Maybe it was all an evil plot to get twice as much money from. Who knows.

I will say this though....worth every damn penny both times. Very fun movie to watch. A lot of plot holes and story questions I had from previous movies were answered as well.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2015, 18:18 Jivaro

jdreyer wrote on May 8, 2015, 16:11:
Meh, Greenlight is like Youtube for games. Anyone can upload anything, but if it violates TOS, it gets removed. Greenlight <> Steam until Valve approves it, so I think the system is working fine.

This.

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer
19. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer May 7, 2015, 19:44 Jivaro

What the hell is going on over at GMG with their W3 keys? Just saw some thread about CDPR not selling them any keys so they went out and bought them from third parties and are reselling them at a discount without approval from CDPR. Interestingly enough, they list Namco as the publisher which is only true in PAL regions on retail copies.

Sounds like I better get my popcorn going..some drama is a coming...

News Comments > Mortal Kombat X Patch Returns; Saved Game Fix Plans
4. Re: Mortal Kombat X Patch Returns; Saved Game Fix Plans May 7, 2015, 10:31 Jivaro

nin wrote on May 7, 2015, 09:19:
InBlack wrote on May 7, 2015, 09:13:
Since when do fighting games have save games???

Since there's a story mode/unlockables you progress through? I don't even play many fighters and think Soul Calibur had one back on the dreamcast ('99?). Maybe even the Tekken games on the ps1?

Yep and Mortal Kombat in particular has had quite a bit of save data for some time. I think for this particular franchise it started on the original XBOX and PS2 when they introduced the Krypt and the ability to keep separate user progress with regards to unlockables and storyline progress. Many other franchises, like Tekken, have been taking advantage of memory cards and hard drives to track progress in multiple modes of gameplay for even longer.

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 6, 2015, 11:29 Jivaro

Verno wrote on May 6, 2015, 10:05:
I don't understand why people always want these ginormous TVs. I actually scaled down from 42" to a 32". Not that it gets a lot of use to begin with.

I don't sit like 5 feet away from my TV, 32" wouldn't cut it. I have a big living room and more than one person watches the TV from different angles. 55" is the norm now, manufacturers are slowing down on 50" stuff and anything below that you get start getting into reduced feature sets, worse panels and etc.

I use a 32" LED as the center of my three screen displays on my PC with a 24" LED on either side. They are mounted in a semi half circle nearly 5-7 feet from my eyes. The size of the screens is very important or I wouldn't be able to read the text on a basic website without scaling it to a ridiculous size. I use that setup because for gaming it can make for some incredible experiences, particularly with flying and racing games that support it. It's also nice to be able to run a windowed-fullscreen game on the center screen and have other things going on like email, Skype, espn, etc on the other two screens.

Like Verno, my living room is big enough that anything below 50" would make it so many people in the room wouldn't be able to tell what's happening on the screen from various angles. Even in my old apartment, which had a significantly smaller living room, once I made the jump from a 32" tube to a 56" DLP there was no going back to a sub 50" screen. It didn't make a difference with most TV shows of course, but it made a huge difference with movies and video games. Pairing the large screen with even a basic 3-piece sound system and basically creating a small scale cinematic experience is worth every penny.

I never owned a plasma TV, I went from DLP to LCD/LED. I really liked that DLP but my Samsung LED has much better blacks. The DLP had a bad habit of "greying" black a bit. I assumed it was the nature of the tech beast. If I can get more vibrant colors with a plasma I might go check out some used ones for the mancave gaming rig provided the blacks stay black. For whatever reason I tend to notice the white/black quality more than the vibrant color ability. Maybe because I keep the viewing spaces minimally lit? Not sure.

This comment was edited on May 6, 2015, 11:47.

edit: I am not talking about the size of the screens I use in a "mine are huge brah!" sort of way, I am just answering the "I don't understand why people have such big screens" question. This is why I have big screens...for the entertainment experiences they allow me to create.

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 6, 2015, 11:21 Jivaro

Right before my 56" Gateway DLP made a popping noise, projected a little smoke out the side, and showed a display of what looked like melting black plastic across the screen....the color disappeared. Turns out I had a circuit board and the bulb fry at about the same time. At least that's my best guess. When the repair people told me how much they wanted to come look at, not including parts, it I just went and bought a new LED TV.

I loved my DLP, it was my first HD capable TV. *tears*

2059 Comments. 103 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo