Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 2064 (Senior)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2015, 12:55 Jivaro

Blue (or some of you that are more Internet savvy than I am), isn't there an archive or something that you can access that would allow you to go all the way back to the first published page and examine the time stamp in the code? I know I am totally oversimplifying, but I am trying to describe something that in my head makes sense but since I am not really that familiar with the process it probably makes no sense.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2015, 12:50 Jivaro

CrimsonPaw wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 11:48:
How interesting, today also happens to be my 19th wedding anniversary. I didn't realize that Quake was released on my wedding day

Congrats!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 22, 2015, 12:40 Jivaro

I think Apple letting people use the service for free for 3 months is fantastic but asking the artists to eat all of profits is absurd. Asking the artists to take a reduced amount during trials would have made sense I suppose, but in the end it's Apple's service and it's a hugely competitive market these days. If Apple wants to have all the artists than they need to pay them better than the competition. (or at least the same) It makes total sense to me. The reality is that this is a much bigger deal to the lesser known artists and one hit wonders than it is to a star like Swift that is basically printing money at this point. Good on her for saying something about it. Bonus points for being consistent. She called Spotify out and did the same thing to a much more powerful and popular company in Apple.  

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2015, 13:47 Jivaro

Fair point...and accurate. Here in California there are pockets of sanity with regards to the homeless, particularly veterans, but for the most part if you were to call in an "adult in distress" they would be far more likely to do nothing than anything at all.

I was at a bank ATM when I noticed a woman wndering the parking lot. She was barefoot, in torn up clothes, and she was talking to herself at various levels of volume. She was just wandering around without even looking ahead of herself and thus just in a few minutes of watching her I saw her almost get hit by 3 different cars. People would lean out of their windows to yell at her but not much else. I walked over to her to try to see if I could talk her into sitting down while I called a local shelter but she was trapped in her own little world. I would have had to physically grab her to get her attention and that probably isn't the best idea when you don't know what her diagnosis is. I decided to call 9/11. They told me it wasn't an emergency and to call the local police station. I called the local police station. I was transferred 3 times and sat on hold for 10 minutes....during which she was almost hit 2 more times. Finally I get this guy on the phone who tells me that he is familiar with the woman and that they will send someone out. I stayed for 30 minutes, nobody came. Finally I just went to the closest payphone and called 9/11 again. This time I lied, told them that somebody had been hit by a car at the bank. They got there in about 5 minutes, coaxed her into an ambulance.

Ridiculous that I had to do that just to get the woman medical attention. Obviously she is in need of care that if she was capable of asking for herself she wouldn't need the care in the first place....and yet in all of that time I spent trying to get her some help, not a single person in that parking lot did anything but yell at her. I am not sure which is more frustrating, the lack of response from the authorities or the lack of sympathy from the civilians.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
13. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 11:51 Jivaro

While I tend to side with the "put anything you want in your video game and if people don't like it they don't have to buy it" part of the human race, I also find it a bit tasteless to actually trademark the word apartheid. The dev writer in the article claims they are "sensitive" but that action doesn't really seem to indicate that. *shrug* I don't know. In the end, I would prefer the game devs do what whatever they want, call it whatever they want, and the customers get to decide using their wallets if they want it or not.

That said, a person in the comments section at Destructoid suggested they call it a "bionic 9/11" and I laughed...not at the name...but at the thought of the Internet literally exploding.

News Comments > Op Ed
43. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2015, 15:14 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 09:05:
Also the PC gaming show sucked because AMD was the main sponsor and didn't put a lot of money into it. Nvidia wanted to do a lot but was prevented from doing anything due to the contract with the expo.

PC Gamer magazine, or any gaming website/magazine, shouldn't be the sponsor/host for such a thing either. IMO anyway.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2015, 15:02 Jivaro

I don't know about your area Blue but here in my little unincorporated town on the west coast the local and county officials that deal with wildlife conservation and park services will respond to information provided from a resident that indicates that a young animal might be in some sort of distress. For example, if I called in that young deer as having what looked to be tumor or benign growth and told them the last known location they would send someone out or give me a number to call immediately the next time I saw it. I have seen birds with bags caught around their necks or feet get caught and "de-bagged", raccoons and other small mammals get rescued from areas they got into but couldn't get out of, and once I even saw a red-tailed hawk get saved from the barbed wire fence he had managed to get tangled in. They don't just rescue the animals either. They take them to a clinic for a check-up, provide any needed medical services (including surgeries), and in some occasions they get tags that the county services can than use to identify them if they come in to contact with people again. Some of this infrastructure exists because of the various endangered species programs in California. Some of it exists because of how the agricultural areas of the state usually share borders with the suburbs of the larger cities.

I live in an area that is basically the border between civilization and the country side though. Might be different in a more urban area, let alone a whole other state.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 17, 2015, 01:44 Jivaro

They could call it Uber Amazon maybe?  

News Comments > Batman Arkham Knight Trailer
4. Re: Batman Arkham Knight Trailer Jun 17, 2015, 01:42 Jivaro

Pre-ordered. I think it will be a blast. I loved all of the previous games, even Blackgate. I doubt seriously I won't get my moneys worth out of this new one.

That said, I also doubt I will be spending any money on DLC that doesn't come with my pre-order. All of the various skins, retailer specific add-on missions, etc has really gotten out of hand.

4. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 16, 2015, 18:13 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 13:41:
...but a new galaxy would probably mean no Krogan, no Turians, no Asari etc, and that would suck. :\

Yeah...I am a huge ME fan but if it's just humans or humans vs machines or something along those lines I am going to be disappointed. I wouldn't mind new species of aliens, but getting rid of the old favorites would be a letdown.

News Comments > Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Instantly Funded
34. Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Instantly Funded Jun 16, 2015, 18:07 Jivaro

Looking forward to it. A revolutionary game(s) at it's time that will no doubt be worth the amount of money paid for it, even if it is highly unlikely that it will be nearly as cool in 2016(?) as it was back than.

I don't have a problem with Sony announcing the Kickstarter personally. I don't even find it at all shady. If we find out that Sony already gave him enough money to make a publishable game and then the Kickstarter started, that would be shady. I suppose there a few other ways it could have been shady as well. If all they are doing is giving the hype wheel a massive turn so that both the Kickstarter and eventually their platform benefit...that is just smart business and one of the few times the current game industry allows some fan service that doesn't include cleavage.

I know some of you have this "grass roots" mentality about Kickstarter and maybe you are right that it should work that way. In this case, I just can't find a way to get my boxers in a twist about it.

News Comments > Mirror's Edge Catalyst in February
5. Re: Mirror's Edge Catalyst in February Jun 15, 2015, 18:38 Jivaro

I can dig it.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced
1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Jun 15, 2015, 18:36 Jivaro

Very much looking forward to this. I know this site isn't full of fans of this game, but I dig it. The last expansion was more than a bit lacking in terms of "fresh" stuff though. Glad they are going to introduce some truly new content.  

5. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 4, 2015, 11:24 Jivaro

I imagine that...

"I can tell you definitively that our team has never committed more resources to making Windows better for game developers and gamers.."

...reads like...

"I won't hit you no more baby, I promise. For real baby, I won't hit you again...."

...to just about any long time PC gamer.

News Comments > Spike Lee Directing NBA 2K16 MyCareer
3. Re: Spike Lee Directing NBA 2K16 MyCareer Jun 4, 2015, 11:20 Jivaro

The actual game of basketball...as in playing it...translates as well as any sport. That being said, the MyCareer aspect of the NBA2K games has been one of the least entertaining or interesting game modes in all of sporting video games. The fact that they can take 90 minutes of Spike talking and drag it out to 12 hours of in-game drama does absolutely nothing to make me believe that will change. Perhaps I am being too pessimistic about something I don't know much about yet, but this attempt to improve MyCareer just doesn't sound appealing.

NBA2K is still the superior game to NBA Live in just about every way possible.

News Comments > Diablo III Turns Three on PC; Celebrates With Console Buffs
4. Re: Diablo III Turns Three on PC; Celebrates With Console Buffs May 15, 2015, 10:10 Jivaro

nin wrote on May 15, 2015, 09:35:
hehehehehehehe...

Still enjoying the PS4 version eh?

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization May 14, 2015, 11:20 Jivaro

Armengar wrote on May 14, 2015, 10:57:
my galaxy S5 writes to the SD card quite happily in camera and other apps. And with a 64gb SD card it works very well. The galaxy S5 recently replaced a "bought on launch day" galaxy s2 that is just about still working; the charging socket is shot and there is a hairline fracture in the body casing. Battery has been changed but the screen is pristine. The S2 is now living as a media box running XBMC on a small screen TV (via HDMI of course).

In a couple of months I will be replacing my S3 with a S5 or the newest Note. Both are pretty sweet devices. The S6 is a great phone but I am not ready to give up the SD card slot yet. That's a great re-purposing idea for your S2. Think I will do the same thing with my S3. I already use an original iPad as a digital photo album/picture frame.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation May 13, 2015, 22:36 Jivaro

See, if I were in charge at EA I would have gone into full on troll mode and announced Tom Brady as the cover athlete.

Than, a week later, I would claim to be making a change due to "listening to our fans" and put Johnny Manziel on there instead. You know...for the double troll.

Maybe use someone like Greg Hardy the third week, and so on. Only after a month of that would I have announced the actual cover.

I know, my sense of humor is off.

News Comments > All Future Battlefield 4 Content Free
20. Re: All Future Battlefield 4 Content Free May 10, 2015, 15:12 Jivaro

While I have no doubt that people honestly feel that their opinions are justified and that there are far too many bugs and problems, I just can't help but feel like there is this wave of hate that people really want to ride when it comes to Battlefield and Call of Duty games. I am not feeling sorry for Activision of EA, their hype machines basically guarantee the backlash because they can't possibly deliver the games that they promise. Particularly when they are willing to ship completely bugged products with promised features missing and day one DLC. At the same time, so many people play these games for hundreds of hours then go online and complain about how crappy they are. If they are so bad why do those same people go buy the DLC, or the next game..or even pre-order? If you think the answer is "the mainstream sheep just take whatever the publishers shove towards them" than you really are dense. I mean what..everyone else are sheep and you are the only one that can see what is really going on? Give me a break. Things are worth what people will pay for them. These games are getting more expensive to make and to sell because more and more people are finding them fun to play despite their very predictable launch issues. They have a serious amount of "replayablity" while providing some incredible "HOLY CRAP DID YOU SEE THAT" moments and many gamers value both of those things tremendously. (probably because unlike many of us, many gamers only buy a few games a year...where as I get the feeling that the people who post here tend to buy every game they can because gaming isn't just a form of entertainment to us, it's our hobby)

Don't get me wrong, I am not what anyone would call a real fan of either series. I am not a huge fans of FPS games just in general. Once in a while I buy an entry in either series when it reaches a price I am willing to pay, has been patched up completely, has a GOTY edition or something similar, and even than I do it out of curiosity. These are two sales leaders in their genre after all. Sometimes I buy them on the cheap just because I want to see what everyone was talking about. I always seem to get my moneys worth out of them. Probably because my expectations line up with the price I paid. Perhaps the hate train would be more lightly loaded if more people either skipped the games completely since they already seem to know they won't like them or simply waited until the purchasing conditions matched their expectations.

edit: Also, Slick is right about BF4 and the patching campaign. Very few games have ever had the kind of post-release attention that BF4 has had. Sure, you can complain that it shouldn't have needed it in the first place and that is valid. That doesn't change the fact that it's getting the attention though.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2015, 15:22.

News Comments > Into the Black
12. Re: Into the Black May 8, 2015, 18:24 Jivaro

I have seen Age of Ultron twice now and I can confirm that they put an awful lot into a shorter time than they probably should have. I get it, they wanted the movie to be of a certain length and both Marvel and Whedon wanted certain things covered...but even as a huge comic book geek it took me two times through before I could honestly say I actually caught everything the movie was telling the audience.

Whedon isn't Michael Bay (THANKFULLY!) and yet the first time I saw the movie I had that same "I don't know what just happened but it looked cool" feeling numerous times. Maybe it was all an evil plot to get twice as much money from. Who knows.

I will say this though....worth every damn penny both times. Very fun movie to watch. A lot of plot holes and story questions I had from previous movies were answered as well.

2064 Comments. 104 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo