Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 2174 (Senior)
User ID 55841
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > No More WoW Numbers
18. Re: No More WoW Numbers Nov 4, 2015, 12:29 Jivaro
Every MMO developer would love to have their problems.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Sword Coast Legends Free DLC
1. Re: Sword Coast Legends Free DLC Oct 30, 2015, 19:00 Jivaro
I am still not sure how they were expecting a positive response to DMs not being able to create their own dungeons from scratch. If I am in charge of that game, that is the main priority if we are claiming to be all about bringing the table-top experience to the digital age. That seems like asking to be stoned to death to have not released with that ability.

I mean, I am looking at these patch notes and everywhere it says "give DM ability to..." all I think is "why in the hell did they not have that ability in the first place?"
News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2015, 17:18 Jivaro
Here in the SF/Oakland Bay Area, Joe Buck is hated. He always seems to make some backhanded compliment or erroneous observation when covering the 49ers or Giants and it starts a wave of hate that just keeps going until his next broadcast. Add to the fact that he is paired with Troy Aikman, not exactly the Bay Area's favorite quarterback and most notably a constant whiner. Predictably, the result is that I know multiple people who mute their TVs and turn on the radio for audio.

As for why he gets the jobs....I think it has more to do with his dad than him. His dad was a phenomenal sportscaster who was best known for his time as the voice of the St. Louis Cardinals but also was on the mic nationally for 18 Super Bowls and 11 World Series. He had an impressive collection of awards and was universally loved and respected in the industry. It's just my opinion of course...but I don't think Joe Buck gets off a local station's sports desk without his father's work to ride on.
News Comments > Starsiege and TRIBES Free Games
6. Re: All Starsiege and TRIBES Games Free Oct 30, 2015, 11:30 Jivaro
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 30, 2015, 09:41:
Wow, Earth/Starsiege, talk about going back in time.

Sadly does not include Starsiege.

Isn't the Starsiege Tribes download actually 2 games in one? That's what it says in the description. I didn't play the game and I am not overly familiar with the series so maybe I am misunderstanding there another game?

edit: Blackhawk beat me to it.
76. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2015, 07:55 Jivaro
jdreyer wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 19:26:
Jivaro wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 16:58:
I mean..damn..they are even dyeing the salmon at my local market. It doesn't stop with red meat.

Because farmed salmon doesn't turn pink the way wild salmon does.

Umm...yeah, I know that. That kind of illustrates the point: We'll add shit to food so it looks and tastes like what we are used to rather than recognize why it doesn't do either of those things. I would buy that farmed salmon if they didn't dye it. From what I have read the salmon out of Chile is perfectly healthy without the dye and farmed fish is the only real way we are going to be able to sustain our fish diets globally. The problem is that many times those things we add, even dyes, are passed off as benign and than we find out later it isn't really the case. Adding that shit so it looks like something it isn't is just brain dead.
48. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 16:58 Jivaro
Veggie burgers are good. Cow burgers are good. It's all good....depending on the source of course. I think the key is moderation and being disciplined enough to pay attention to where your food is coming from.

I think these recent "meat causes cancer" and "hot dogs have human DNA" reports are more reflective of how low our food industry standards are these days. Grind it all up regardless of part or cleanliness, farm it on a fattening diet lacking in balanced nutrition yet heavy in with hormones and antibiotics, and dye it the color it needs to be...nobody will no the difference right?

I mean..damn..they are even dyeing the salmon at my local market. It doesn't stop with red meat.
37. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 15:52 Jivaro
There are movie theaters that will be playing the first 6 movies in order on the 17th and 18th of December Wallshadows. Don't know if any are near you or if they still have tickets but that could be your shot to see the older ones in the theater.

In my area there are independent theaters that have themed nights, like rom-com or sci-fi, and they show the older Star Wars movies on occasion a well. Not sure where you are but you might want to check into it. The one I go to here, sometimes they will take requests, and do like a weekday marathon at matinee prices if you can get 10 or more people to sign up since it tends to be so slow for them during the day at some points through the year.

edit: I didn't see the part about "remastered" until after I wrote this WS. Still, now that the original versions are being released on disc, it is entirely possible that some independent theaters will show the originals in their original form.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2015, 16:25.
34. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 15:28 Jivaro
fan boy rant: Lucas's mistake was always the act of making Anakin the "supreme" fighter in the first place. Too soon we had Obiwan acting as if he was frantically trying to keep up with a much more powerful padawan. It dictated an awkward and unbelievable result no matter how their confrontation unfolded. Sure, Anakin is technically more powerful in terms of potential, but if they had maintained Obiwan as a sort of "always one move ahead" sort of cerebral master it would have made Anakins utter defeat more believable and it would have leant itself well to making Anakin's frustrations with the Jedi as a whole more believable if every time he went to do something stupid someone like Obiwan was there to slap him in the face. (metaphorically) Instead he is this emo boy that is frustrated with what he thinks the Jedi will or won't do rather than what they actually will or won't do and it just falls so completely flat on it's face.

edit: The Return of the Rant: I mean look at the newest movie. It isn't even out yet and it's obvious people WANT to love it. Sure, some of that is the inclusion of the original cast but it takes a lot to get Star Wars fans to turn on Star Wars content. We defend games, books, and cartoons that if they were about anything else would be mediocre at best. All of that said, I don't know anyone who actually loved the prequel movies. I know people who "liked" them or don't think the problems are that big of a deal..but the joy I see over this next movie..I never saw it at anytime with the prequels. Lucas can be pissed about it, but that falls on him.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2015, 15:34.
31. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 14:31 Jivaro
Good luck to your Mets Blue!  
News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 27, 2015, 14:28 Jivaro
I am not sure there is a "vs" type approach to the decision making process for law enforcement as to whether or not to take a threat seriously or not. They aren't weighing the value of the targets to decide whether or not to take it seriously. I think it comes down to what the local authorities are willing to do and capable of doing to help guard against whatever the threat may be and if the conference can afford the risk. If they have a threat and they continue the conference and something happens, there will be lawsuits a plenty. Does the conference have insurance? Does the insurance cover that? Is it worth the financial risk to that particular conference? Are they comfortable with what the local authorities are doing to track down the source of the threat? Do they feel like they are providing a safe place for everyone, regardless of whether they are attending the threatened panels?

I think that online it's easy for all of us to speculate about "would, could, and should" but in the real world the people who are ultimately responsible for these things, monetarily and professionally, have to weigh the risks and aren't getting any kind of guarantees from law enforcement when they have to make a decision.

Like many people I tend to assume these threats are either faked or from impotent idiots, but for the people that put on Cons/shows it's a gamble that could have some pretty extreme consequences. When people say things like "you gave into the bullies/terrorists, that is what they wanted and that's wrong", I am not sure I agree that it's the wrong thing to do. It's gaming. This isn't life and death stuff that warrants risking life and death. If the people hosting the Con don't think they are prepared adequately to provide a safe environment, no matter how unlikely the threat is to be real, they should cancel it. There are kids, whole families, going to these buildings. Maybe the panel is the target and maybe the panel is unlikely to have many kids, but is it worth the risk?

I know a bunch of you will disagree but I am just not seeing how the organizers made the wrong decision if they don't feel they can provide the security needed to prevent the worst case scenario should a threat turn out to be real, if not from a moral standpoint then a financial one. If they ignore a threat and it comes back to bite them there will be lawsuits and the entire Con industry will have to change. Metal detectors at doors, bomb-sniffing dogs..all this stuff costs money.

They made the right call.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2015, 15:02.
News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
16. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 26, 2015, 23:21 Jivaro
I don't know that this type of movie, regardless of whom it is about, isn't the type of thing people are going to movie theaters to watch anymore. This is the kind of movie that anyone who is interested in seeing it usually waits for it to come to digital or disc. People go to the theaters for date night or action movies with a bunch of special effects that a large screen and sound system really take advantage of. Everything else they can watch at home on their flat screen TVs and not really lose much while still being able to go to the bathroom whenever they want. Popcorn is cheaper at home too.  
5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2015, 11:56 Jivaro
The website that goes with that John Oliver video "Real Quotes" is hilarious. It repeats itself pretty quickly though.  
News Comments > EA Account Details Leaked
28. Re: EA Account Details Leaked Oct 18, 2015, 01:29 Jivaro
MacLeod wrote on Oct 17, 2015, 08:27:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 20:40:
Or use your mobile phone with Google authenticator depending on which you consider the greater minor inconvenience Wink

I'd love to use their Authenticator option instead of text message, but every time I try to add it to my account, I scan the QR code into the app (or manually type code), and when I input the 6-digit code to confirm it worked, it errors out and says it's not valid. I just assumed their authentication routine wasn't synced correctly or something and turned text authentication back on.

Same problem here. I have tried it a couple of times, a few weeks apart and after some updates and such, and I had no luck getting it to work. Had to give up on it, though I would gladly use it.
News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Oct 16, 2015, 18:31 Jivaro

Fuck Cancer.
News Comments > Morning Interviews
6. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 15, 2015, 13:27 Jivaro
Task wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 12:45:
To you perhaps. For me, Obsidian knocked the ball out of the park with a Home Run nice game.

I did as well. It was pretty much exactly what I expected. My only issues with the game have been addressed with patches.
News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VII Collector's Edition Refunds
22. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VII Collector's Edition Refunds Oct 12, 2015, 22:48 Jivaro
Very interesting to me since I bought the CE and live in NA. Apparently I am horrible at reading because I never actually expected a disc for either the game or the soundtrack. I bought the game through the Ubisoft store, the HOMM 7 and the HOMM 3 HD games activated digitally as a result of that process, and than I got the CE retail stuff in the mail a week later or so.

I wasn't happy about the lack of a disc but HOMM is a franchise I really like, I am a sucker for a good CE filled with statues and such, and I just assumed that in this day and age of digital downloading that this lack of a disc was the future coming to my front door.

I'll take my free game and I am not going to pursue a refund. (obviously) After reviewing the images and such posted by other people I can now see that they were absolutely correct in their perception that a physical disc came with it and I would rather have that be the solution. I really wish Ubisoft had decided to handle this properly and sent out retail disc to CE owners. So far this has been a mess. I mean, so far as I can tell, they aren't even contacting CE owners have to create a ticket with the customer support to get the process started.
News Comments > LEGO Marvel's Avengers Trailer
2. Re: LEGO Marvel's Avengers Trailer Oct 9, 2015, 22:26 Jivaro
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 19:26:
So is this all the movies so far in one game?

Not all of them, but close enough. Right at the end of the trailer it says that that the games feature story content from 6 specific movies.
News Comments > More Star Wars Battlefront Beta Servers
4. Re: More Star Wars Battlefront Beta Servers Oct 9, 2015, 10:59 Jivaro
nin wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 10:24:
I only got to play for about a half hour last night. It is fun, but like you, I worry if it'll be fun in 6 months.

Off topic but...I was just talking to a buddy the other night about game longevity and how much it really matters to me. Or, actually, how it doesn't. I am not sure I expect any game to last me 6 months. If I get a month or two out of Battlefront before something else shiny catches my eye and I come back to it every time they release some new content I will probably feel like I got my moneys worth out of it. I mean, that's what I do/did with Diablo 3, as an example, and I am have been totally happy with that purchase. The only "regular" exceptions would be the sports and fighting games I like so much, but that's because they have seasons that last a while and I am interested in that part of the game.

If Battlefront manages to be so awesome I am still playing it for any significant amount of time 6 months from now that would be freaking amazing. Normally it takes an Elder Scrolls, Civ, or Heroes of Might and Magic game to do that. I am just not the kind of gamer that has had that kind of relationship with very many games outside of the MMO genre. "Real life" plays a part in that, but I have been like that pretty much the entire 35+ years I have been gaming. It isn't so much an attention span issue as *SQUIRREL*.....

What was I saying?
5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2015, 10:32 Jivaro
nin wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 09:55:
and it's hard to find words to express my gratitude for all the support over the years

I think folks will agree it's us readers who are grateful! Thank you for your many years of work, it's been very enjoyable!

I couldn't say it any better.
News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 9, 2015, 10:31 Jivaro
Reminds me of that friend who laments the leaving of a spouse or significant other while hung over.  
2174 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo