Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 2110 (Senior)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sword Coast Legends Video
4. Re: Sword Coast Legends Video Aug 22, 2015, 02:10 Jivaro

Quinn wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 18:40:
Greatly looking forward to this one. Can't wait to enter Faerun again. Best fantasy world EVER! There's simply nothing better. Crazy fan. Can't wait

+1

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > 220M Grand Theft Auto Games Sold
6. Re: 220M Grand Theft Auto Games Sold Aug 22, 2015, 02:09 Jivaro

Wallshadows wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 20:32:
That's enough money to make a Daikatana sequel!

You win the Internet today.

News Comments > Destiny Still Destined for PCs?
24. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Aug 22, 2015, 02:09 Jivaro

If this came out on PC I would buy it. I really enjoyed my time with it in the beta on PS4 but I just don't like playing shooters with a gamepad. I ended up cancelling my pre-order because as much as I liked what they had done the controls kept me from enjoying myself.

I have never understood the hate, I thought they did a pretty good job with the game and while I haven't played it since release the changes that I have read about sound like things I would be on board with as a player. No AAA game can hope to live up to the hype that is generated these days....particularly if the developer has created something so beloved as Halo previously.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC Patch in Testing
14. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC Patch in Testing Aug 21, 2015, 16:20 Jivaro

Bought it on PS4 only because I had all of the previous games on Playstation 3 and enjoyed them. Talk about a lucky decision. The PC version seems like it was a clusterfuck that would have just pissed me off, where as the PS4 version was a hugely entertaining game. I also skipped the season pass...which was less luck and more "I don't pay for shit before I know what it is I am paying for".  

News Comments > Trine 3 Released
4. Re: Trine 3 Released Aug 20, 2015, 23:58 Jivaro

Ant wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 23:44:
Bishi wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 20:45:
Great games. Awful voiceovers. Don't even think about playing without others.
Voiceovers weren't that bad!

The voice acting was less than stellar but they weren't bad enough to make a difference in the appreciation of the game. I would also add that I thought the two previous games were an absolutely great solo experience. Somewhat like the Lego games in that you have to switch to the character that is appropriate for the puzzle at hand. I loved it.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2015, 00:04.

News Comments > COH 2: The British Forces Limited Trial Plans
1. Re: COH 2: The British Forces Limited Trial Plans Aug 19, 2015, 14:35 Jivaro

Every time see COH, I think City of Heroes. Really would like a proper sequel.  

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Development Moves In-House
3. Re: Star Citizen FPS Development Moves In-House Aug 18, 2015, 12:08 Jivaro

Well, usually this kind of thing is the other way around...development studio hands off project to third party so as to shrink it's own staff or focus on something else. Of all the announcements, this is probably the most positive. It makes sense in just about any way, as opposed to selling more virtual ships or adding yet more stuff....or whatever else they usually announce.

It's rare, but there really isn't much negative to say about this move unless you are one of the people who has been let go.

edit: ...or one of the people who seems to have an unhealthy infatuation with criticizing this project every single time it's posted about, despite not actually having any money in it. I mean seriously...you can only say "suckers..he is ripping you off!" so many ways and so many times. I mean, people might be getting ripped off but how many times you gonna bang your head on that brick wall?

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Mod Tool Backlash
20. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 16, 2015, 17:56 Jivaro

harlock wrote on Aug 16, 2015, 17:03:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 16, 2015, 16:58:
They probably didn't bother with the extended mod tools this time because Witcher 2 never really formed a strong mod community. The series has never been as popular amongst modders as Bethesda's games. It's kind of like how DAO had extensive mod tools but nobody really cared, so Bioware didn't bother with DA2 and Inquisition.

exactly.. there are like 10 mods for W2, and the most popular one was made by one of the devs

..which is hilarious because both Oblivion and Skyrim have a ton of Witcher 1, 2, and 3 inspired mods. Hell, you can basically dress everyone in Skyrim to look like everyone in the Witcher 2 at this point.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2015, 13:34 Jivaro

My conspiracy theory is that the console manufacturer's deliberately make the UI clunky and hard to use so that you will use crap like Kinect and voice commands to do stuff. Motive? I have none, I suck at conspiracy theories. All I know is that as soon as I get used to how bad a console UI is and actually find a way to make it comfortably usable...they change it into something worse.

I am collector so I have never been a fan of digital purchases. I like knowing that as long as I keep the physical media and the console I have access to the game regardless of what the manufacturer decides to support or if they stay in business. Aside from that one of the other big reasons I make so few purchases currently is because I find the PS store to be so bad I am tempted to believe they do it on purpose just to see how much shit gamers will swim through to get to their next fix. The most unstable piece of shit software on my PS3? The Playstation Store, and it isn't even close. It loads slow, it's cumbersome, and it spontaneously reboots the console. They should have kept the old version of the store like they did with the Vita instead of trying to make it match the PS4 store. It's slow and cumbersome on the PS4 as well...but at least it doesn't cause it to reboot randomly.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2015, 14:47 Jivaro

The media keeps saying this hasn't happened before. Short memories. Staubach got decked too. In practice, not in the locker room, but still...

It effectively ended Clint Longley's career as well.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch Notes
12. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch Notes Aug 11, 2015, 01:43 Jivaro

Asmodai wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 20:23:
10 Patch applies
20 Patch completes
30 Try to play
40 You need to update this product
50 Goto 10

The explanation written in Basic made my night!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 10, 2015, 19:51 Jivaro

Yeah eRe4s3r, that was basically where my line of thinking has gotten to at this point. It only happens with Windows 10. This computer has had Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, and 10 on it. I didn't keep either 8 or 8.1 out of personal preference but they did support sleep mode and the shutdown worked fine. Win7 was my preferred operating system and it worked fine. I even had a Linux distro on here in a dual boot configuration and it worked fine as well. (never tried a sleep mode, but shutdown and reboots worked just fine) It's only Windows 10 that seems to have this. I only have to tap the power button to get a full shut off once it hangs, I don't have to push and hold for any amount of time.

Unless someone or some article throws a definitive solution at me I am probably going to leave it alone for this first couple of months and see if the steady stream of MS updates or the next Nvidia drivers address the problem. Frustrating but in the history of new Windows install issues of the past it is definitely one of the least problematic. I once attempted to install 45 computers with Windows ME all at once..I know true pain.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch Notes
5. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch Notes Aug 10, 2015, 18:27 Jivaro

I put this game aside early on because of various issues. I should probably get back to it, I imagine the drastic patching is done by now. I guess I will reroll and start over. I was only about 12 or so hours in anyway.  

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 10, 2015, 17:49 Jivaro

Keilun wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 15:56:
On the sleep issue, have you tried running the powercfg lastwake command from the shell?

I've used that in the past to discover the offending device. This was back on Win7 though. I'm not sure how/if it translates to Win10. The hope is that it'll work and help you figure out which device to disable the wake.

Hi Keilun and thanks for your suggestion:

I hadn't tried that particular parameter so I just did and unfortunately it came back as simply "Wake History Count - 0".

I had tried the /sleepstudy parameter, something I became aware of after reading an article on Windows 8 sleep/power issues, but unfortunately I got the "S0 Low Power Idle" is not supported on this machine. Cannot run tool." message. Apparently this tool depends on the hardware being able to use a low power status that my motherboard isn't capable of being in.

I looked at a list of the known powercfg parameters on Wiki, which strangely seems more accurate than the one on MS's website, and I don't see another one that will help me. Thanks for the suggestion though..I appreciate the try.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 10, 2015, 15:45 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 15:30:
Sorry to hear your Sleep issue persists Jivaro, I will look more into it later and see if I can come up with anything you haven't thought of already.

Thanks, I appreciate that. Though obviously, you don't need to do that, I certainly welcome any extra help. I can't decide what bothers me more at this point...the fact that it isn't working properly or the fact that I am totally stumped as to what exactly is the issue. Even if the issue was not something I could fix without hardware replacement I would still feel better if I at least knew precisely what the problem was.

PS: I tried sleep and shutdown from the initial login screen to see if something third-party might be holding up things. By shutting down at the login screen I figured that would eliminate most third party stuff from having been loaded. It made no difference. Infuriating.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 10, 2015, 15:18 Jivaro

DangerDog wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 14:42:
The bit about Firefox being slower in Windows 10 sounds suspicious to me as well, are they intentionally gimping performance to get people to use their "fast" edge browser?

Chrome works as well or better after upgrading according to all reports I have read. I mean, I am no expert but it seems to me that if there was a conspiracy it would affect them as well. Chrome is the biggest competitor. Firefox was getting bloated and buggy long before Windows 10, which is one of the reasons that so many long term Firefox users have been switching to Chrome. As long ago as 2008 CNET was pointing out Firefox's increasing slowness. I really don't find it hard to believe that a change in OS only exasperated any problems that already existed. Mozilla hasn't really been running a tight ship of late. I am no Microsoft fanboy but blaming MS seems a bit convenient in this case.

In the interests of full disclosure, my personal experience is as follows: I run Firefox and Chrome on my system because some versions of Firefox are just crap and I have to run Chrome until they patch it. For me, it's been that way for over 2 years now. I would rather use Firefox but sometimes it is just so screwed up I go to the Google-side just so I can get my browsing done in a reasonable amount of time.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 10, 2015, 13:55 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 13:49:
Are you using S3 sleep? Try disabling hybrid sleep and see if it works. I haven't encountered that on my nvidia card but I'm sure our hardware configs and drivers differ.

What's the motherboard?

MSi motherboard of which the model and chip escapes me, but it is a a i5-2500 @ 3.30 GHz, so it's a bit older by the standards of this site's members. I don't know about the S3 sleep setting off the top of my head either so I will reset and go check the settings and than coe back and update this post. Thanks for giving me something else to try....drives me nuts to have nagging issues like this.

edit: Switching to S1 (my only other option) didn't change anything. Motherboard is a MSi Z68A-0317-B3-F13 using bios version 6.00PG.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2015, 14:37.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 10, 2015, 13:33 Jivaro

I would just be happy if my computer would use it's sleep mode. Since I upgraded from 7 to 10 my computer can no longer use sleep mode or even shut down properly. I read on a forum somewhere that it has to do with the current Nvidia drivers somehow, but other than that rather vague and unsubstantiated theory I have no idea what the problem is. I choose sleep or power off and the computer goes through all of it's normal steps, the screens go dark....and than the power just stays on and the fans & liquid cooling system keep running even though there is no video output or hard drive usage. I can't wake the machine up either. I end up having to press the power button which in the case of sleep mode appears to cause a hard off and in the case of powering down appears to finish the process properly. When I reboot from the sleep mode it makes me scan for errors (thus my hard off assumption) and when I reboot from power off everything works as if I powered down normally.

I upgraded from 7 and this is the only bug, complaint, or problem I have had. My computer actually runs the same or better with everything I do and I like the new interface but this issue is kind of a biggy. Sleep mode is my preferred non-use state and with 7 it woke up nearly instantly. I still haven't joined the SSD crowd so full reboots take longer than I would like. Whatever the cause, Nvidia or not, I hope it is fixed soon.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2015, 12:51 Jivaro

I understand early morning usage of the lawn mower when it's going to be a hot day later on. I was a resident of Phoenix for just over 6 years and I visited every summer for another 4. People were mowing lawns at like 6:00 AM to avoid the inevitable midday heat.

No idea what the temps are like in your neck of the woods Blue, but in the summer it kinda makes sense to get that stuff done early.

News Comments > Diablo III Season 3 Ending This Month
4. Re: Diablo III Season 3 Ending This Month Aug 8, 2015, 01:47 Jivaro

Yeah, I am looking forward to it. Isn't really much reason to play until than.  

2110 Comments. 106 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo