Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 1815 (Pro)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2014, 11:57 Jivaro

I have to disagree Blue. Atlanta in the summer is just not the place to be. Anywhere where heat and humidity collide is not good IMHO. Phoenix in August for example...is also just horrible. I do agree that a city that has a great mass transit system is a plus. Has E3 ever been held in San Francisco? That would be a great place for it. (I am totally showing my West Coast bias now...)  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Play PC Titanfall for Free
23. Re: Play PC Titanfall for Free Jun 20, 2014, 11:32 Jivaro

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 11:16:
It would be much nicer if they would do the Sony Playstation Plus version of game trials and let you play for a few hours whenever you want to play and the few hours were actual gameplay hours.

Yep. I was thinking the same thing. Particularly given the size of some of the downloads these days.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Jun 20, 2014, 11:09 Jivaro

I grew up in a town where 3/4 of the population is Native American. The entire reservation finds the Redskin name to be a slur. Does it keep them up at night necessarily? No, but I think that is because most of them have much more pressing issues to deal with on a daily basis that are more relevant to their own existence. As do most of us here. If you stopped them on the street and asked them though, they would say that they would prefer if the name was not used. How do I know? Because even "way back" in 1990 this was a topic and a Little League team in my area was renamed after a community survey and town meeting was held. Something similar is happening in San Jose, CA right now as well. In my town's case I believe they changed the name to something like "the Warriors" but kept the Native American logo. Everyone seemed to be cool with that.

The only part that is at all interesting about this entire dispute is why a small group of rich non-Native Americans are so attached to the name that they won't let go of it even if it were "only" a vocal minority asking them to change it. I would think that even if it were a small percentage of Native Americans it would still be worth it to change the name. It's a sports team...the fans aren't going to go root for someone else because the name changes and they somehow get confused as to where their team went....lol. I mean, at this point everyone knows they will have to change the name eventually, regardless of whether you agree or not. So why are they still fighting it? Seems like a waste of money and a great way to get all the wrong kind of PR.

To be clear, I totally understand the people that believe that society has jumped the "politically correct" shark. I believe that as well. I just think that this particular point of contention is the wrong one to draw a line in the sand about. There are plenty of individuals out there that seem hell bent on being offended by something somebody said or something somebody did and it is ridiculous. This is about a sports team name and a franchise that makes billions of dollars off of a racial slur. It just isn't the same thing as the vast majority of the crap the media likes to whip people into a frenzy about. Not even close. I do agree that the senator(s) getting involved is more of a political vote grab than anything else, but that doesn't really change much about the actual point of it all.

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2014, 11:23.

News Comments > Play PC Titanfall for Free
16. Re: Play PC Titanfall for Free Jun 20, 2014, 10:48 Jivaro

If this game had a true single player component, even one of those COD 4-6 hour things, I might give it a look on PC.  

News Comments > Free Magrunner: Dark Pulse on GOG.com
8. Re: Free Magrunner: Dark Pulse on GOG.com Jun 20, 2014, 02:15 Jivaro

I picked up the Wing Commander stuff too Bats. Really looking forward to going through it again. I know it's going to be painful on the eyes and all..but something tells me I am still going to love every minute of it.  

News Comments > Ms. Splosion Man Replaces GFWL
1. Re: Ms. Splosion Man Replaces GFWL Jun 20, 2014, 02:12 Jivaro

I had forgotten all about this one. Looking forward to giving it a go.  

News Comments > Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained
30. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 14:28 Jivaro

Tumbler wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 13:43:
Jivaro wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 13:37:
I am not a CR fanboy who would pay money for an autographed piece of used toilet paper

IT'S A TOWEL YOU MONSTER!

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
17. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 19, 2014, 14:26 Jivaro

PropheT wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 14:23:
Now they're rocking sales for games that aren't even out yet. Not that I'm complaining, but... seems weird.

I think they kind of have to....they have been doing this so long the long time users have probably already bought all the old stuff..lol

23. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 13:37 Jivaro

It would make more sense to start off with default "arcade" type controls and let the simmers adjust to their wants/needs, rather than the other way around. I mean the hardcores are the ones that even understand most of those terms etc. But this is what alphas are there for and it all still looks good to me.

I can not begin to tell you people how weird it is to feel like I am nearly alone as a non-cynic with regards to this game. My wife is constantly bagging on me for being too cynical. I find it very humorous that while I am not a CR fanboy who would pay money for an autographed piece of used toilet paper, I am not any less enthusiastic about this game than I was when the project began either. I must be mellowing in my old age. (or it could be that the 35 dollar price tag just doesn't yank my chain hard enough to make me care about every little thing that may or may not be going wrong)

17. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 12:36 Jivaro

I take it they can't simply make it so a player can choose between "arcade" and "realistic" (complete with fine tuning adjustments to just how real it really is) because one side or the other would have an unfair advantage in PVP?  

News Comments > Deus Ex Universe Online Hint?
9. Re: Deus Ex Universe Online Hint? Jun 18, 2014, 12:09 Jivaro

I didn't ask for this.  

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 12:25 Jivaro

Beamer wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 12:13:
Nathos wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 12:01:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

I enjoy when someone uses an incorrectly attributed quote to prove stupidity.

I tried to track this one down once, just out of curiosity. I found this quote in an issue of the 1929 New Yorker, attributed to Einstein. Than I found a few others that were even earlier, including one where one man attributes it to Benjamin Franklin. Do you know who is actually given credit for it Beamer or is it one of those quotes that basically everybody has said? (which is what I decided was the case...)

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 11:33 Jivaro

Just further proof that gamers can and will complain about ANYTHING.  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
15. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jun 14, 2014, 00:22 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 23:59:
Task wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 19:54:
This is on the frostbyte engine isn't it, which means no modding like DA:O , so I'm stuck with some of those Derp looking faces for the characters

I'm sure someone will find a way to cram some better textures in there.

Yep, they always do. I am sure the Nexus will have mods for this game regardless of what EA does. It's a newer engine so it might take a bit of time at first but it will happen. It won't be as simple as DA:O, and it might be a bit crude at the beginning but if the Mass Effect series taught me anything about the modding community it was that where there is a will there is a way. Eventually.

News Comments > THQ TM to Return
9. Re: THQ TM to Return Jun 13, 2014, 16:31 Jivaro

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 13:42:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 12:18:
Waste of time. If you want people to recognize your name, release good games. Taking the name of an established publisher won't automatically garner goodwill (see Infogrames).
Why? In the end it's all about revenue, and if sticking to an old moniker will help give brand name recognition, then why not?

While I personally agree with you Jerykk, I only agree because I, like you, happen to keep up with things like this in this industry. The overwhelming vast majority of the customer base does not keep up with such things and it is that majority to which name recognition can be crucial. This is a business tactic that spans across virtually every industry and is proven to be effective.

I know this isn't really a comparable situation but humor me: If Michael Dell were ever completely bought out from Dell Computers, would the new owners change the name? Not a chance in hell. Will Coke or Pepsi products ever not say Coke or Pepsi somewhere on them? Of course not, they are always going to have that little label on them somewhere. Same for Anheiser-Busch. (sp?)

THQ is obviously not a Dell or a Coca Cola in terms of branding, and I would never try to say they are, but I think in the video game industry THQ was recognized enough so that someone like Nordic is justified for looking at the label as a step up the recognition ladder. Circling back to your point about making good games, they will obviously have to do that for the THQ name to help them long term.

News Comments > Minecraft Server Payments Follow-up
4. Re: Minecraft Server Payments Follow-up Jun 12, 2014, 23:04 Jivaro

gotcha, thanks.  

News Comments > Minecraft Server Payments Follow-up
1. Re: Minecraft Server Payments Follow-up Jun 12, 2014, 18:37 Jivaro

I am not a Minecraft player so my understanding of how the servers work etc is limited. I tried it, loved the concept and have been in awe of what people have done with it, but I myself never got into it despite having bought it on 3 platforms because 3 nieces and a nephew love it. Does Mojang actually have a technical/physical way of enforcing any of this or is just the threat of legal action that is supposed to carry some sort of weight?  

News Comments > Pinball RPG Rollers of the Realm Announced
5. Re: Pinball RPG Rollers of the Realm Announced Jun 7, 2014, 22:35 Jivaro

Sounds interesting to me too.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2014, 15:58 Jivaro

Nothing says "I am anti-fascist" like censorship. Grow up indeed.

If your credibility wasn't gone with the initial post....I think it probably just walked out the door on it's own now.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2014, 10:41 Jivaro

That guy's game collection is truly awesome. It really is too bad he has to sell it off. Real life priorities/struggles do come first though. I hope he gets enough money to help with whatever is forcing him to sell.  

1815 Comments. 91 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo