Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 2029 (Senior)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jan 27, 2015, 11:27 Jivaro

That Starship Titanic story is pretty cool.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ubisoft Deactivating Far Cry 4 Keys; Cites Fraud
13. Re: Ubisoft Deactivating Far Cry 4 Keys; Cites Fraud Jan 26, 2015, 15:27 Jivaro

Vio wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 15:24:
Regardless of legality Ubisoft is pretty much wearing the crown of the most hated company on the internet right now. I wonder if the de-activations are worth the bad publicity ball they keep feeding.

Yeah...I agree and I wonder too.

News Comments > Ubisoft Deactivating Far Cry 4 Keys; Cites Fraud
7. Re: Ubisoft Deactivating Far Cry 4 Keys; Cites Fraud Jan 26, 2015, 15:18 Jivaro

walrus1 wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 15:08:
I wonder if this is actually legal. One could claim this would be like buying a grey market camera. Only to have Nikon come to your house and rip it out of your hands since the guy on eBay wasn't an autherized seller. If this happened with me I'd be on the phone with my lawyer.

This is really shitty of Ubisoft and makes me, again, not want to buy their games.

Not to bring up the whole "software is a license not a physical product" argument all over again because it has been done to death here....BUT....your lawyer would tell you are screwed and to not buy from those people again. If you used Paypal or a credit card to make the purchase you might have more luck at getting your money back, depending on time elapsed since purchase of course.

Depending on what country you live in I suppose there might be some sort of legal recourse, particularly in parts of the European Union, I don't know. I do know you would go nowhere in the states unless you can prove that Ubisoft itself is somehow culpable for the fraud occurring in the first place. Previously when serial numbers or other copy protection has been circumvented the courts have not held the publisher responsible. The current laws in the states support the idea that Ubisoft has the right to protect it's IP before you have a right to the "license" you paid someone other than them to enjoy. It sucks, but it is what is currently.

News Comments > More Star Wars on GOG.com
7. Re: More Star Wars on GOG.com Jan 23, 2015, 22:07 Jivaro

My birthday is coming up in February....I think I might go shopping on GOG and buy myself some birthday presents for the archive.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2015, 10:56 Jivaro

I think the bigger issue is that there are 2 layers of people, the "ball boys" that work for the individual teams and the NFL field officials, that handle the balls both after the team itself provides them and before they ever hit the field. The media and the public are going to be understandably skeptical of the Patriots given Spygate but it doesn't seem to me that the "ball chain of command" lends itself well to a Belichick or Brady conspiracy theory. A ball boy who was cheating for his team? Perhaps. An oblivious or paid off referee? Perhaps. I just don't see how the head coach or any of the players could have had anything to do with this based on what has been described in the news media regarding how the balls make it to the field. I do see how Tom Brady should be able to tell if the ball is under-inflated and might have willingly not mentioned it to the referees. I am not sure that is his obligation though..in fact I don't think it should be his obligation. Or the coach's for that matter.

By all means Mr. NFL Commissioner, find out how this happened. Just make sure that the punishment fits the crime and isn't just made to silence the media and non-Patriots fans. If you punish the head coach for this you had better believe that every NFL coach will want to know exactly what they are expected to do and not do with regards to the game balls...something that currently they probably don't give a second thought about before a game. If you punish the quarterback when the NFL referee guidelines clearly say that the quarterbacks should be allowed to handle the balls before they are used and the referee should make sure that they are okay with their condition than what was the purpose of that guideline?

I am still trying to figure out why the league itself doesn't provide the balls and why both teams don't draw from the same source of balls. All of this, intentional or accidental, would have been a non-issue had that been the case. The league provides the referees. The league provides the instant replay official. I think the league can provide the footballs as well.

edit: As a side note, I am reading in some places that Goodell set a precedent when he suspended Sean Payton for one year because he "should have known what was going on even if he didn't actively participate". Many people, including other coaches, believe that the only reason the commissioner was able to do that unchallenged is because Payton is one of only two coaches in the league who do not belong to the NFL Coaches Association and thus did not benefit from a union backed defense. Should an active conspiracy be discovered it is logical to assume that this precedent would than be put on Belichick....who happens to be the other coach who doesn't belong to the NFLCA. (that's why neither coach's likeness is in the Madden video games as well...EA doesn't have individual contracts it just has a contract with the NFLCA)

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2015, 11:24.

News Comments > LucasArts Wave II on GOG.com
28. Re: LucasArts Wave II on GOG.com Jan 20, 2015, 18:51 Jivaro

I have been trying to find the quote and I can't but I know I read something somewhere in November where one of the BW folks said that the only SW thing they were currently working on was SWTOR Online. It was admitted that things had been pitched, but those things had been decided against.

When asked if anyone from Bioware had been moved to a different part of EA to work on a Star Wars project the answer was "I wouldn't know."

Gonna see if I can find that. I remember that after I read the whole thing I was left with the feeling that there were more SW projects than what had been announced but that Bioware had been left out of the process.

News Comments > LucasArts Wave II on GOG.com
17. Re: LucasArts Wave II on GOG.com Jan 20, 2015, 14:55 Jivaro

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 14:19:
Pigeon wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 13:50:
X vs.T was a let down at the time, they scraped the campaigns in favor of an online component; back in the days of dial-up. I think I ended up returning it for several reasons

Yep, I also remember being massively disappointed at the lack of a real campaign. However, going in with low expectations, I also remember being very positively surprised by the quality of the gameplay and the great single player missions. It might not have been a coherent campaign but it still ended up being a very decent single player experience. Still a shame though that they did not have an epic campaign with cutscenes etc. at a time when Wing Commander 3/4 defined the space opera genre.

See, I played XvT exclusively in an Internet gaming cafe that I was managing at the time. We had some awesome LAN sessions. We didn't even care about a campaign or story, that was what the first two games were for. It was all about the dog-fighting, which was a blast on a LAN. Free-for-all was particularly crazy. That said, if I would have been limited to modem connectivity I wouldn't have had nearly as much fun...that is for sure.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2015, 11:39 Jivaro

GOG.com just released "wave 2" of the LucasArts collection...including X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, and Star Wars Battlefront 2. (among others)

I know it probably hasn't aged as well as my rose colored memory goggles would like to believe but XvT was where some of my best multiplayer experiences happened. XvT and Outlaws were incredible games in multiplayer. (for the time) Hopefully Outlaws is in the release schedule as well.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2015, 16:27 Jivaro

My wife, in-laws, and all of my sister's family/in-laws are Pats fans, I am 49er/Raider fan....so....

I always hope for an entertaining game so I am not looking for a blowout here...but man do I hope the Pats win. The Seahawks losing always makes me smile but my family life will be so much more happy if the Pats don't lose.

Seriously. If any one knows how to contribute to some sort of referee bribery fund or something let me know. I can't go another off-season with the Pats making it to the big game and losing. It kills my home life.

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Jan 17, 2015, 11:54 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 11:38:
PHJF wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 17:44:
"Once, he said, they were in El Paso, Texas, where Driscoll had left that night in camouflage and boots. She returned later to the hotel at which he was staying wearing a trench coat. Under it she was wearing an evening gown splattered with blood and other matter, Busch testified."

Signs you may be dating Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I SO wanted to date her.

I think quite a few of us did.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2015, 16:20 Jivaro

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 14:29:
If you are a fan of fantasy RPGs, own a PS3 and haven't played Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen yet, now is the time.

Sam speaks the truth. Great game.

News Comments > Mortal Kombat X Trailer; Goro Preorder Bonus
14. Re: Mortal Kombat X Trailer; Goro Preorder Bonus Jan 15, 2015, 13:24 Jivaro

Sports and fighting games are why I buy a non-Nintendo console every generation. Every console generation this is my go to fighting game. (and to a lesser extent, Street Fighter as well) It's made for a big TV, in the living room, a couple of arcade sticks, and a bunch of drunk/stoned adults reliving their childhood in the arcades. Of course, some of us have children old enough to drink that are now kicking our asses at our own game. Can't wait.

As for the pre-order carrot/stick debate: I suspect that I am the target audience for this particular pre-order so perhaps I am biased in this particular case. That said, my general feeling about pre-order rewards is that I have no problem with companies doing it. They usually put the stuff out there as paid DLC or include it in a GOTY edition anyway so if you are looking at a game that you want to wait until you see player/critic reviews before buying I am not really sure I see how you are being punished. Nobody is entitled to a game or it's optional content. If you don't like how they sell it, don't buy it. Don't play it. Don't even pirate it since they look at torrent numbers when judging the popularity of a game. You as a consumer have told the company that you don't like what they do. It's up to that company to decide on whether or not they will do it in the future.

I have never played a number of popular titles because I didn't agree with something the company did. The Assassin's Creed franchise jumps out of my mind first. My life has gone on just fine and I don't really feel like I am missing anything. The point is that they did some shit I didn't like and I didn't buy their stuff. That's what sensible and mature individuals do in a capitalistic society. I am certainly not going to go steal it or any of the games. When a store does something I don't like I don't start stealing their stuff, I go to another store. I mean, it isn't like there is some shortage of games on the market to go and play instead.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2015, 12:50 Jivaro

I saw Avatar at home on a 50" TV rear projection TV, not in a theater or with 3D. Many of the things it was touting at the time are kind of lost on me I suppose. I liked the movie well enough I guess, I just found the writing to be very poor. Maybe it was just the hype machine. In any event I only saw it the one time. I would go see a sequel but unless it was decidedly better than the original I wouldn't bother with 2 more.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 14, 2015, 10:41 Jivaro

Beamer wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 20:23:
nin wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 19:51:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 19:49:
In his defense, when Annie Hall was written, TV was trash. The Love Boat, Brady Bunch, Happy Days, Three's Company, etc.

Maybe he can do a show about molesting children!

Can Roman Polanski co-create?

Maybe they can get Bill Cosby to be in it.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Accidentally Revealed?
9. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Accidentally Revealed? Jan 14, 2015, 10:22 Jivaro

Prez wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 10:04:
Wow, all of the negative ninnies here... I for one think this would be fantastic!

I think it has the potential to be pretty cool as well. I won't deny that it could just as easily be trash, but I really dig the concept.

News Comments > Grim Fandango HD This Month; Preorders Underway
9. Re: Grim Fandango HD This Month; Preorders Underway Jan 13, 2015, 10:41 Jivaro

Brilliant game. Can't wait to play it again.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2015, 15:26 Jivaro

Manning isn't really one to use excuses, historically speaking. "Everyone plays with injuries at this time of year" is the kind of thing Manning typically says and has said in the past. I think they hid the injury details to keep defenses from going after the leg. I would if I were them.

How much it really did affect him is anyone's guess. Obviously not enough to put in the backup. He actively hid it since the league doesn't mandate listing the severity of a playable non-head injury. Now that the season is over he admitted to the details of it.

The only part of this that leaves me scratching my head is the play calling. I mean, Rodgers has a torn calf muscle. Instead of trying to throw 30+ yard strikes while running out of the pocket on every play they have seriously re-worked the playbook to keep him in the pocket. Lots of pass plays from the shotgun or pistol formation with a RB staying back to block and than releasing on delay to give Rodgers a place to dump the ball if he gets pressured up the middle. The Denver offense kept using 5 or 7 step drops from under center with 20+ and 30+ out routes to both sides of the field on 2nd/3rd and short plays. I found that odd because after the first few it was obvious Manning wasn't on target. It was also odd because Anderson was playing out of his head. They should have been handing him the ball on anything under 5 yards until Indy could prove they were able to stop him.

My bottom line is that I think the offensive play calling had more to do with them losing the game than Manning's leg. I would say given his control over the play calling on the field that puts the blame firmly at his feet.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2015, 11:45 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Jan 12, 2015, 09:07:
I hope the Pack can pop Seattle's balloon, no desire to see them return to the Bowl this year.

It's too bad that Rodgers is having to gut out an injury right now. He is doing a great job but the Seahawks are undoubtedly going to blitz straight up the middle repeatedly to try to force him out of the pocket. Normally that would be suicide for any defense as Rodgers is highly mobile and statistically the best quarterback against the blitz in the game today. With this injury though, as we saw yesterday, that's a problem. Dallas didn't have the ability to consistently test that leg but when they did it was obvious how limiting it was. I think that if Dallas had put a focus on that type of pressure early in the game, rather than waiting until the second half of the game and letting Rodgers get into his groove, the outcome might have been a bit different. Best of luck to him though. That's the stuff of pro football legend if he can go into Seattle and beat them on one leg.

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 2015, 12:04.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2015, 21:58 Jivaro

Overall, I think they get more right than they do wrong with instant replay and I am not prone to conspiracy theories. This particular referee was the same one that made a nearly identical call on a Calvin Johnson non-reception a couple years ago, so at least he is consistent. Easy for me to say I guess, not being a Cowboys or a Packers fan.

If it were me, I wouldn't have overturned the call on the field regardless of what it was given the angles provided. If it had been ruled incomplete it would have stayed that way and if it had been ruled complete it would have stayed that way. I just didn't see enough to qualify as "convincing" evidence. I also don't think they wrote the rule intending for a play like that to be ruled an incomplete pass. Perhaps they need to look at the wording again.

My initial thought/suggestion is that if the player has the ability to make the attempt to reach for the end zone with the ball than that has to be considered a football move regardless of how many steps the player has taken.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2015, 11:55 Jivaro

In honor of the modern online-only RPG, here is your *virtual birthday gift* for being a lifetime subscriber to..err...life! Pretend it's anything you like!

Happy Birthday to BluesNews very own Ant-Man!

2029 Comments. 102 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo