Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 1680 (Pro)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2014, 12:56 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 11:58:
This Amazon FireTV thing looks ballin. Hulu, Netflix, Instant Video and it runs Android so I can probably run XBMC and get all of my local content too. Could finally be a true all in one HTPC. Quad core CPU, 2GB of memory, remote, etc. Not bad for $99, its ability to run XBMC will be the deal breaker for me since I want something that does local content too.

Edit: oh right link - http://gizmodo.com/amazons-fire-tv-everything-you-need-to-know-1556889628

I haven't studied up on it yet, just read some summaries. I would imagine if you are already a Prime member this will be a no-brainer at 99 bucks.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dead Space Free on Origin
46. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 28, 2014, 11:27 Jivaro

Zanderat1 wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 10:59:
I don't get this. How is Origin any different from STEAM?

Well, I think it's less Origin specifically that is the problem and more EA. People either don't like or don't trust EA and thus don't like or don't trust Origin.

Saying Origin is just like Steam isn't really addressing the underlying concern. I personally don't give a rat's ass about using Origin. In fact I find that my Origin ID makes playing across platforms with EA products quite painless. I just recognize what other folks see as the problem...which is EA itself. That is pretty understandable all things considered.

News Comments > Dead Space Free on Origin
43. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 28, 2014, 10:18 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 08:35:
I already own this on Steam but I guess its good for people who don't. Fantastic game.

I actually activated it on Origin despite having it on Steam. EA and Valve have a messed up relationship history. Games suddenly appear, disappear, have incompatible DLC...blah blah. Yes, most of those issues work themselves out eventually rather than being permanent, but putting it on Origin makes it so I don't really have to be concerned with it. I think I would probably do the same thing with any EA game provided it didn't have a strong Workshop presence that I wanted to use.

That being said, I am not a person who cares about whether a game is on Steam, Origin, Uplay, Desura, Arc, etc etc etc. I have em all and I use them all. I also use things like Raptr and Xfire. Just depends on the game. It is the very thing I appreciate about having a PC, choice and options. I love Steam, but competition is good for the customer base in any industry.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 27, 2014, 10:12 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 09:52:
Last of Us on PS4 was a no-brainer, tons of converted Xbros who would probably pick it up after hearing all of the hype.

I have largely skipped the last year of "big" titles for the PS3 because I was betting the farm that titles like "The Last of US" would come to the PS4 one way or the other. Either a complete re-release or through the PSN. So far that has actually been the case, or at least the rumors seem to strongly indicate that it will be the case. The only way this gets better is if The Last of US hist PS+.

News Comments > Runic Cofounders Leaving
2. Re: Runic Cofounders Leaving Mar 27, 2014, 10:02 Jivaro

They accomplished quite a bit in 6 years. Very interested to see what they do now.  

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
7. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 25, 2014, 20:36 Jivaro

I am perplexed why Facebook thinks this was a good way to diversify...but business at that level is beyond me so whatever.

As for the Rift itself, I don't care who owns it. I am still game.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 19:01 Jivaro

What the what.. Facebook buys Oculus Rift?  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 25, 2014, 02:46 Jivaro

You can get a XBONE on Amazon for 400 bucks now. Comes with Forza. Have to use a code at checkout that they provide on the product page.

I am not sure if it works with the Titanfall bundle.

Still not something for me to buy, but some here might be interested now that the price is the same as the PS4.

Edit: It appears that it was a mistake. They fixed it soon after I posted this. Probably because a bunch of people that saw it on Kotaku went and bought it.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 24, 2014, 22:45 Jivaro

I am no EA fan, but I would vote Comcast the worst company of the year, every year. That or Walmart.

There are much worse companies I am sure, but my knowledge of the finance and oil world is fairly superficial. I think in those industries you could pretty much pick anybody.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
13. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 22, 2014, 11:35 Jivaro

shit just got real up in here....  

News Comments > Diablo III Missing Items Fix and Preorder Wings Near
7. Re: Diablo III Missing Items Fix and Preorder Wings Near Mar 21, 2014, 11:10 Jivaro

I am thinking I might not log in the first few days or even the whole week. The history of Blizzard indicates that I will only be frustrated by connection issues, bugs, etc. I like the direction the expansion has taken the game, but it will be much easier to actually enjoy the game after the dust settles a bit. If folks here indicate that somehow the launch is going smoothly maybe I will log in sooner but in the past I have found most Blizzard launch weeks to be....frustrating. (edit: Hardly unique to Blizzard of course)  

News Comments > GDC Award Winners
9. Re: GDC Award Winners Mar 20, 2014, 12:42 Jivaro

JayDeath wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 11:52:
Some say The Last of Us is high overrated but others say it's a masterpiece. Hmmmm.

Well, I think that mainly has to do with the type of game it is. Different strokes for different folks and all that. The game relies as much on it's storytelling as it does on it's gameplay. Not everybody enjoys that. Quite frankly, given the success of franchises that basically tack on a story in a lame attempt to make Michael Bay type action scenes seem like they have something to do with one another, I am fairly surprised by just how much recognition this game has gotten both from players and the media. I am particularly impressed given that it is a platform exclusive. I think that is due to the technical quality of the game as well as the exemplary writing and voice acting, none of which can be argued as being anything other than fantastic. Whether or not someone actually enjoys playing it is completely subjective. If all you want to do is shoot stuff and your game collection is mainly comprised of mindless shooters, this is a game that probably slows you down way more than you are going to find fun. (nothing wrong with mindless shooters by the way...gaming is meant to be fun and a great many shooters are incredibly fun)

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 11:05 Jivaro

The first two Infamous games were a blast. Can't wait to play this new entry.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2014, 11:30 Jivaro

Blue, they are in the south region because all of the teams have to travel to a destination to play their games. If someone has home court it is a coincidence, not planned or earned. The various tournament sites around the country are all predetermined, the rankings of the teams by the NCAA are what determines where they play. For example, there are 4 #1 seeds chosen based on record and strength of schedule, one for each region. Let's say one of the tournament sites is Madison Square Garden. If in this fictitious example I say that 2 of the 4 #1 seeds are from the state of New York, than only one of them is going to get put in that region and the other one will have to go to another region.

One year Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, and Georgetown were the #1 seeds. They are all in the eastern region obviously. That meant that 3 of them had to travel to places like Dallas, Minneapolis, and San Jose while the fourth got to play close to home. (relatively speaking)

News Comments > Diablo III Auction Houses Closed
16. Re: Diablo III Auction House Closed Mar 18, 2014, 11:36 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 11:20:
[
Were these items already in the game, or are they new? It never ceases to amaze me that devs will make these really awesome and fun weapons, and then make it so that 99.999% of their players will never, ever fucking see one.

HI GEARBOX!

yes and no? I mean, oranges existed obviously but all loot has undergone some changes beyond just drop rates. The oranges produced after the 2.0 patch are largely superior to anything from before the patch in many ways. Aside from a couple of oranges with cool names or secondary effects, I have gotten rid of most of my old stuff. Within a day or so it was all obsolete.

News Comments > Gauntlet Remake This Summer
3. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 10:03 Jivaro

I am not a fan of the camera angle but honestly, as "remakes" go...that doesn't look half as bad as my imagination was visualizing before I watched the video. Looks like there is some mindless button mashing fun to be had in that game....for the right price of course. Almost looks like it could be played like a twin stick shooter.  

News Comments > Infinite Crisis Open Beta Begins
4. Re: Infinite Crisis Open Beta Begins Mar 14, 2014, 12:34 Jivaro

It really feels like the deal with MOBAs is simple...there is a huge generation gap when it comes to it's popularity. I know plenty of people that love them and they are all under the age of 30. Most under 25. A majority don't have a full time job, are still in a school of some sort, and are either single or at least unmarried. I am only exposed to this demographic because I have 3 step-children in that demographic. Most of my own personal friends and gaming buddies are over 30, have full time jobs, are married and have kids. I can't think of a one that plays a MOBA on a regular basis, and I can only name one that even likes the genre.

Sure, it's only my own experience and it's filled with generalizations but when I watch a stream, read a forum thread, etc...the overwhelming vast majority of the players seem to fit those criteria unless they are part of the press. This site seems to attract an older crowd, or at least it has seemed that way to me, so it doesn't really shock me that MOBAs don't really grab us by the balls or generate much in the way of positive interest here.

As someone else pointed out though, that doesn't mean the genre is on the decline or burned out. The sales and player stats seem to indicate just the opposite currently. As I have to remind myself continually, us "old folks" just aren't the target audience for whatever is hip in the gaming industry. MOBAs or otherwise.

News Comments > BAFTA Winners
19. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 12, 2014, 22:46 Jivaro

I actually agree with most of these picks, which is new. I usually find these types of things to be filled with titles I couldn't care less about. That doesn't make such a list any more valid, it just means this year it happens to align with my tastes.

The concept that a game has to be available for more than one platform to be considered for these awards is ridiculous. Where would you draw the line? It has to be available for 2 or more? 3? The PC and something else? Gimme a break. As for comparing it to movies or TV, I am afraid that comparison falls apart. Shows on Netflix, HBO, and other paid networks win awards all the time when many people have never seen them because they don't subscribe. I have never seen House of Cards, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, etc. I don't cry about them winning awards just because I am too cheap to subscribe to their networks. I do cry about being cheap...on occasion.

I would probably have picked Madden 25 or NBA2K 14 for the sports game, but in that particular genre there isn't a whole lot of inspiration going on right now so it's just splitting hairs. I just think FIFA 14 is lacking anything new, which makes it hard for me to pick it as a game of the anything. Madden and 2K14 at least had new modes, enhanced graphics across all offered platforms, and both also took fan favorites and revamped them based on consumer feedback from the previous year. FIFA only enhanced the graphics on the PS$ and XBONE and there isn't anything "new" about it's various gameplay modes that is worth bragging about.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Titanfall; First Patch Released
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Titanfall; First Patch Released Mar 11, 2014, 11:03 Jivaro

Glad to hear some people are having fun with it, the FPS genre needs a new quality franchise on the PC. Unfortunately I am just completely burned out on being burned by online games from EA with ceaseless DLC, hackers/cheaters, and connectivity problems. 80 bucks (with season pass) is just too much money for any game these days, particularly when so many features I consider important are missing. My gut is telling me to stay away until maybe a big price drop+all DLC version is released a year or so from now. (bigger than GMGs current promos) Perhaps that will change over the next month or so if the player reviews are strong. Anything is possible I suppose.

I am very curious to see if this helps the XBone. MS clearly is hoping that this will be what Halo was for the original XBOX.

News Comments > Tomb Raider "Exceeded Profit Expectations"
9. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 09:49 Jivaro

Bundy wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 09:32:
I liked it. Wasn't a perfect game, but I enjoyed the adventure.

Yep. Fun game overall thanks to the gameplay mechanics. I have high hopes for the sequel because now that the origin story is out of the way I think that will unchain the series a bit. Having to "reboot" the origin held that particular game back IMHO. Than again, I have a beef with origin stories in general. I am the guy who keeps wondering how many times we have to see Peter Parker get bit buy the radioactive spider.

1680 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo