Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 2112 (Senior)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round PC Launch Missing Features
5. Re: DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round PC Launch Missing Features Mar 30, 2015, 10:04 Jivaro

necrosis wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 10:01:
Why do they even bother?

Yeah, I am a little puzzled myself. This PC release has been a clusterfuck from the beginning.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Released
68. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 27, 2015, 02:32 Jivaro

Two GOTY candidates released in the same week. Not bad.  

News Comments > GOG.Com on Customer Service
18. Re: GOG.Com on Customer Service Mar 25, 2015, 22:36 Jivaro

jdreyer wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 22:13:
@wtf man
I wonder if there are mods that might make the Witcher more tolerable by now.

I found this mod at nexus and it is the only reason I was able to finish the game. I too hated the control scheme in the release version.

Full Combat Rebalance @ Nexus Mods: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher/mods/237/?

News Comments > GOG.Com on Customer Service
14. Re: GOG.Com on Customer Service Mar 25, 2015, 21:26 Jivaro

GoG just happens to be at that point in their history where they are still enjoying getting screwed. That will change.

My faith in the average customer is...well...I have none.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 25, 2015, 11:38 Jivaro

Sony really should avoid firmware update reports that have sentences that contain the phrase "will bring an onslaught". Just saying.  

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 25, 2015, 11:37 Jivaro

Mass Effect 3 is not free on PSN according to this link. The trial version of Mass Effect 3 is free (of course) and that's only in Europe. The full version is on sale though.

The original story you linked to Blue was wrong, it has been updated twice since it's original posting. What's the matter..don't you check all your links 10 times a day after posting? Damn man.

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black Mar 25, 2015, 00:15 Jivaro

I have been reading about Disney messing up everything awesome in the world for years now....and yet I haven't seen it happen yet.

I guess I just like their brand of messed up or something.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Jaws of Hakkon DLC Released
17. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Jaws of Hakkon DLC Released Mar 24, 2015, 19:04 Jivaro

I personally didn't get enough enjoyment out of the base game to want a DLC that appears to basically be a reskin mod that offers more of the same game. At least bring a new companion character into the fold or something if I am going to be reaching into my wallet for double digits.

As everyone else said...maybe when it's on sale. I love the Dragon Age "universe" but this game just didn't grab me. I can't see myself spending more money than I did to buy the base game unless the DLC really comes across as something special. I am a bit bitter though. I lost my main save to one of the patches and haven't restarted the game since.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2015, 23:53 Jivaro

If you own a PS4, PS3, PSP, or PS Vita...Sony just started a flash sale that has 70+ games listed at 1 dollar or cheaper. All old stuff of course, but some pretty good deals. The downside is that only 4 of the titles are available on the PS4. The upside is that of the 72 games available for the PS3, the overwhelming vast majority appear to also work on either the PSP or Vita (usually both) without having to pay extra. Sale ends on the 23rd. No idea if this sale is the same or even exists outside of the US, maybe some of the PS users from other places can clarify on that.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/03/20/flash-sale-now-live-deals-under-1/

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2015, 15:47 Jivaro

Slick wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 14:06:
care to cite one example of a game getting it's servers cut after one year?

edit: tl;dr = Nope, I can't. What I meant by "nothing new" was that this is the direction they have been slowly going for years now. Each year support gets shorter and shorter for releases in this genre.

------
NBA2k14 servers go down this month. 1 year and 5 months after release. Probably would have been sooner but the release of the next gen consoles probably forced everyone to keep everything out there a bit longer.

MLB 13 The Show servers went down Nov 6th of 2014. This year it's even shorter, yes, but again I think that had to do with the next gen console release last year. Otherwise it probably would have EOL'd around the same time as 14 will.

Madden stops with roster updates and Ultimate team packs weeks before the next Madden is released. To their credit, matchmaking services have, to my knowledge, always lasted at least 2 years.

Each year it seems like the amount of support time gets shorter. Is it exactly a year? Nope, sometimes a bit longer but not much. Do they shut down everything? Not in all cases, but if they stop certain things people move on to the next game anyway. (like Madden for example)

The point is, and was, that these days they basically sell you a sports game for the specific season it's made for.

There are exceptions. The Top Spin tennis series has a game from 2008 that still has it's servers running. As far as I know EA keeps the multiple versions of FIFA's servers running. I haven't played one for a few years so I am not sure on that. Generally speaking though, this is how they have been leaning for years. If not cutting the match making servers, cutting various services in the older game so you are more likely to "upgrade" to the newer game.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2015, 16:06.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2015, 11:16 Jivaro

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 10:43:
Shineyguy wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 10:01:
Verno wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 09:51:
MLB 14 The Show support shutting down in June?

What the fuck? It's not even a year old yet. Holy shit Sony.

Sony is probably pulling an EA. Ending support for this game because it's yearly follow up is coming out soon.

Doesn't EA give more than a year?

Nope, not really. Sony and 2K don't either, this isn't new. I mean, there is some overlap sometimes but generally speaking the major publishers stop offering support, servers, updates, etc for their sports franchises the moment the next year's version comes out. Depending on the sports game sometimes you can continue to download user created content like rosters and playbooks...but even that will eventually expire as well.

I love my sports games but the downside of any purchase is that after one season your game will never be feature complete again.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 19, 2015, 22:38 Jivaro

Julio wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 18:34:
Can the Xbox One handle 1080P-60fps even of Rock Band?

zing...

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Next Month
14. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Next Month Mar 19, 2015, 15:44 Jivaro

It is too bad so many people have trouble with it. I am also running it just fine but the feedback from the overwhelming vast majority of players seems to be that it stutters like hell way too often. It is interesting that my system is similar to Bats except for three main differences: He has 16gb RAM, I have only 8. He overclocks, I don't...but I am running the same CPU and I have a GeForce 760.

No idea why it gets along with my rather non-flashy and somewhat vanilla setup. Luck over skill I guess.

News Comments > More LucasArts Games on GOG.com
4. Re: More LucasArts Games on GOG.com Mar 19, 2015, 13:43 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 13:05:
Outlaws, sweeeeet! Getting that game running properly was a bit of a pain for me last time I tried so great timing.

I have been waiting for this as well. It brings back some great memries from my 7 years in Denmark. The LAN/Internet gaming cafe I worked at in my early-mid twenties had this installed on the day it came out. Being Denmark we didn't think people would be all that into it to be honest, so we only bought 4 copies for a cafe of over 40 computers. (at that time) The Danes loved the western theme and the gameplay. We ended up buying a copy for every customer machine in the place because there were times when every single machine was playing the game. Only Quake and Quake 2 were as popular during my time there. (Quake 2 obviously had more longevity)

News Comments > Into the Black
33. Re: Into the Black Mar 18, 2015, 07:09 Jivaro

Celsius/Kelvin, the Metric system instead of "standard", using 24 hour time and getting rid of AM/PM...

It's enough that I have keep track of languages, currencies, laws, etc every time I cross a border while travelling. I would prefer if the world used the same systems for all the various measurements.

It's a simple man's argument...but I am pretty simple.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
28. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 17, 2015, 00:30 Jivaro

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 11:22:
Jivaro wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 11:04:
I think it says far more about all the other games on the market than it does about DA:I.

I am not saying that I would label DA:I my personal game of the year, but the fact that it is even in the conversation says a ton about last year's releases as a whole.

Says a lot about greasing journalism. I had no problem finding entertaining games last year. Well unless you mean... "it says a ton about AAA games". And even then there were a few that were very nice.

I stand by the exact words I used actually. I said "in the conversation" because something like this is almost entirely subjective but usually everyone can agree to narrow it down to about the same 5-10 games or so. After that everyone has a different opinion about which one is the best. In this case I agree that it was in the top 5-10 games of the last year, I just don't believe it would have been a Top 10 game in most other years. Particularly with all the bugs and issues the game has had since launch.

I do see an argument for poor journalism however, particularly given that the GOTY didn't win an award in any other category at all.

As for my opinion as to what was the GOTY...to be honest..I am not sure. I am playing games from previous years or in my backlog because the last year really hasn't been that interesting to me. In terms of playtime I have put the most time into the Last of US and Madden 15 on PS4 and the D3 expansion on PC. I think all three of those were released in the last year. I haven't played Mordor, which everyone seems to have enjoyed, so I can't speak on that one. I spend most of my gaming time playing older games right now, because of the recent dry spell. Hell, I only just last week bought Starcraft+Heart of the Swarm. Amazon had them for 12 bucks each so I finally gave in and bought them. Fun stuff so far.

This comment was edited on Mar 17, 2015, 00:51.

News Comments > Star Citizen Video
45. Re: Star Citizen Video Mar 16, 2015, 22:00 Jivaro

You know how monkeys throw shit at the zoo? How stupid would it be if people actually picked it up and threw it back?

No idea what made me think of that.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 16, 2015, 11:04 Jivaro

I think it says far more about all the other games on the market than it does about DA:I.

I am not saying that I would label DA:I my personal game of the year, but the fact that it is even in the conversation says a ton about last year's releases as a whole.

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Mar 13, 2015, 23:26 Jivaro

I am super cheap AND super lazy. 20 bucks is a pretty good deal, but I know I want the DLC as well and it's not on sale yet. I am going to wait for the inevitable self-declared GOTY edition....and than wait for that to go sale. I figure Borderlands 5 will probably be launching about than.  

News Comments > Neverwinter: Elemental Evil Delayed
6. Re: Neverwinter: Elemental Evil Delayed Mar 13, 2015, 19:59 Jivaro

Julio wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 19:42:
I'd never spend anything with PWE, terrible games and service.

Yeah, I am not a fan of PW either. I think Star Trek Online has become a solid MMO, but it's the exception and I think it was released before PW took over.

Cutter gave me a closed beta key to Neverwinter before it launched and I found it pretty "meh" overall. Not bad, but not good enough to keep me after about 2 weeks of playing. I will say this about it though; the Foundry is a tool that fits right into a D&D game. Like similar tools in City of Heroes and Star Trek Online, it really adds value to the game. It benefits the community in positive ways as well.

2112 Comments. 106 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo