Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 2059 (Senior)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Gift Restrictions Tighten
18. Re: Steam Gift Restrictions Tighten Mar 12, 2015, 13:26 Jivaro

ItBurn wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 13:25:
I'm currently in another country for 6 months for work. Are you telling me that one day I won't be able to play the games I paid for? What if I move permanently to another country? I lose my whole Steam library of hundreds of games?

That isn't what this means and I am not sure how you got there. Once the game is verified to your account, it's yours. This is only with regards to the gifting process. You pass through those gates and you are home free.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Gift Restrictions Tighten
17. Re: Steam Making Piracy More Interesting Mar 12, 2015, 13:25 Jivaro

Orogogus wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 13:17:
Why do you think this is a problem with companies and not your local laws?

That really is the bottom line. People want to blame Valve but this is about following the laws for each individual country they provide their service in. I mean, it is about money and taxes and cost of living and all of that other stuff too....but in this particular instance this is Valve doing their version of "I am just here so I don't get fined."

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Next Year
6. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Next Year Mar 12, 2015, 13:20 Jivaro

*sniff* And here I thought I was all alone....  

News Comments > Star Citizen is Huge
59. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 13:14 Jivaro

Flatline wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 12:42:
Yep, this game will be unusable for people on Comcast, unless they remove their cap.

I have Comcast and I have no cap. Why that is I have no idea. I do know that I downloaded well over 2TB of data 3 months ago as part of re-installing 2 different computers on my home network and it didn't cost me anything extra. I doubt it has anything to do with me being a special little snowflake, but I guess that is a possibility.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 12, 2015, 12:55 Jivaro

One of my favorite Youtube videos of all time is Buzz punching a "the moon landing was faked" idiot. (I think someone here actually provided the link that gave me my first look at that) Cracks me up every time, mainly because I know Buzz wanted to punch him from the moment he started talking but held off for quite some time. The guy just kept following him around and than he called Buzz a coward. It wasn't the accusation of faking the moon landing that put him over the edge, it was the "you are a coward" comment.

If there is anything I know about men and particularly men of that particular generation, you don't say that and expect to not get hit. Coward or liar...two accusations you don't make to that generation and expect to stay standing.

I might just go buy his app to support the completely imaginary "Buzz Aldrin punches idiots" foundation.

News Comments > Star Citizen is Huge
43. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 12:34 Jivaro

I don't see how this is surprising, controversial, or in any way unexpected to anyone other than those that haven't played an MMO for the last 5 years. Those folks might be a tad surprised I guess. From the beginning Roberts has been hanging his hat on this whole "a PC game designed only for PCs and PC gamers". All the HDD, Blu-Ray, and RAM restrictions that multi-platform games have are, of course, than tossed right out the window.

It also seems on par compared to newer MMOs, or at least the way MMOs seem to be going. SWTOR, which doesn't exactly have the most modern engine driving it, takes up over 60GBs currently. Patches are often 6-8 GBs, and that is pretty much the norm for most modern MMOs. Marvel Heroes is not exactly the pinnacle of graphics and sound achievement and yet it regularly has large downloads for major patches. (I am not saying it's good or bad, I am just saying it's an industry norm) Even single player games are rolling out with 30-40GB installs and some are having 5-6GB patches. If I had bandwidth restrictions I suppose I might be a tad upset, but if I had bandwidth restrictions I probably would have waited until the game's release in 2030 to actually buy it.

Can tomorrow's headline be "Star Citizen expected to include voice acting from the cast of Glee"? I think that comment thread would be awesome.

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Next Year
1. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Next Year Mar 12, 2015, 11:53 Jivaro

I am looking forward to it. I realize I am perhaps the only person on the planet looking forward to it...but hey.....the upside is that maybe it will be cheap!  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2015, 15:56 Jivaro

Yeah, I am digging Oliver as well. Short amount of time, interesting topics, great humor, unique perspective. Too bad HBO locked him up because, as a Daily Show fan, having him take over for John Stewart would have been great.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Videos
71. Re: Star Citizen Videos Mar 9, 2015, 21:31 Jivaro

Plot twist: This is all a big government black op made to get as much money and information from as many wannabe space cowboys and Internet trolls as possible. They were going to end the op last November originally but so many trolls (and cowboys!) have shown up that Congress has given the op it's own budget and permanent staffing. Look for Snowden to reveal that he has copies of emails between Chris Roberts and Hillary Clinton, sent to her private email of course, to be revealed sometime during the upcoming primaries.  

News Comments > etc.
21. Re: etc. Mar 9, 2015, 18:45 Jivaro

Prez wrote on Mar 9, 2015, 17:36:
I know that I am going to regret this, but wasn't there a near unanimous consensus for years on high cholesterol foods raising your blood cholesterol in the medical field? Until this year anyway, when the latest studies have proven there to be no ascertainable link whatsoever. I'm not saying that the same thing will happen with climate change (specifically anthropomorphic climate change), but it does illustrate that a consensus based on bad or incomplete findings or evidence is still a wrong one. I only question is there enough evidence for such a consensus to be infallible.

For me the climate change debate has always come down to one thing.... and whether the possibility that we are in fact responsible for an unnatural amount of change or not is not it. It is the possible consequences that ring with me. If mainstream science is correct than there is some scary consequences if we don't make changes. If we wait until we are 100% sure, the consequences are already here. Yes, the mainstream might be wrong, like with cholesterol, but if they are we haven't really lost anything. We already know fossil fuels cause pollution and are limited anyway. Moving on from them, climate change or no, isn't really such a bad thing.

I don't know anymore than any other person who isn't actually making a career out of studying the climate, it just seems to me that it would be dumb not to do anything until we are absolutely certain when we don't have anything really to lose if we are wrong but we will definitely pay the price if we are right. More importantly, our kids will pay the price.

The fact of the matter is that there have been members of the scientific community talking about this for a very long time and it wasn't until the late 70s that anybody started really taking it seriously. Know why? Because some really smart people figured out how to make money off of alternative ways to power things. That's how things change in a capitalistic society based on a free market. Things don't change until someone figures out how to make the change profitable. The older oil based industries still have bank though, and they use it to donate to politicians who give them a voice. The minute they don't have that bank those same politicians will be true climate change believers. Ask Big Tobacco about how all of that works.

Just my take on it. Or at least how I have been viewing it so far.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2015, 16:50 Jivaro

I am hate Daylight Savings Time. Hate it.  

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Module Nears
12. Re: Star Citizen FPS Module Nears Mar 7, 2015, 17:27 Jivaro

Blue, you should somehow form a news post that contains Derek Smart, Diablo 3, Star Citizen, Peter Molyneux, Half-Life 3, and #gamergate all in the same topic.

I bet it would set all sorts of post records.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 6, 2015, 19:25 Jivaro

jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 13:27:
Jivaro wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 11:46:
Glad I use DirecTV for television and Comcast for Internet. Not the first time I have been very happy to be a member of the "I don't bundle" club.

This is the kind of thing that makes me a bit hesitant about "cutting the cord" in October, as is my current plan. Having all my content at the mercy of Comcast is not something I am very comfortable with. I was burned by that a couple of times before, which is why every service I have now is through a different provider. Turning to just my ISP as the source for all my content will dramatically cut my monthly bills, but it will also limit my options occasionally. Still...I know plenty of people who have done it and yet I know of nobody that regrets it.

Why don't you just switch ISPs?

Laugh2

And pay as much for 1/10th the speed and as shitty customer service from AT&T? It's a lose/lose in my area. I do Comcast because if I am going to get screwed I might as well enjoy some of the experience.

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Postmortem
18. Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 11:57 Jivaro

Hellgate London had a fantastic amount of potential. I regret nothing about buying it on Day One. Really is too bad the company that made it was so poorly run. I don't play the F2P online version, I tried it and had some fun. Seems to be a decent game with a decent community. I have the community modded/patched single player version that addresses most of the biggest issues the game had. A ton of fun to be had in that.

It obviously has limits because development has stopped, but it was a lot of fun while it lasted. They created a very cool world that I would love to revisit if someone were able to make a second game.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 6, 2015, 11:49 Jivaro

nin wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 10:28:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 10:23:
That Comcast thing is exactly why we need a least the commons man version of Net Neutrality. BS an ISP can pick and choose what will go over their wires. Lets see where this leads...

Yeah, you'd think, at least for the moment, they'd be kissing ass, trying to prove they don't need additional FCC input.

But nope! This is exactly why NN is important, to either keep them from being assholes about this kind of shit, and/or allow competition from another vendor that could provide what they don't.

Is this a net neutrality issue? I thought this was a tv provider issue. Comcast, the cable tv company part of it, didn't negotiate a contract with HBO for this, thus subscribers to Comcast cable TV can't verify their accounts. It's like DirecTV subscribers who can't access ESPN on their mobile devices because ESPN and DirecTV can't seem to get their shit together. I mean, I used my DirecTV account on my PS4 for HBO Go....and unless I am REALLY delusional....it works fine. Streams right over my Comcast Internet connection without problems. Am I missing something?

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 6, 2015, 11:46 Jivaro

Glad I use DirecTV for television and Comcast for Internet. Not the first time I have been very happy to be a member of the "I don't bundle" club.

This is the kind of thing that makes me a bit hesitant about "cutting the cord" in October, as is my current plan. Having all my content at the mercy of Comcast is not something I am very comfortable with. I was burned by that a couple of times before, which is why every service I have now is through a different provider. Turning to just my ISP as the source for all my content will dramatically cut my monthly bills, but it will also limit my options occasionally. Still...I know plenty of people who have done it and yet I know of nobody that regrets it.

News Comments > Phil Harrison Leaving Microsoft?
5. Re: Phil Harrison Leaving Microsoft? Mar 5, 2015, 10:31 Jivaro

He has worked for Sony before. Have to wonder if he has a Sony job lined up now that a few of the executives at Sony have moved on. Seems like a good move for him and Sony were it to be the plan.  

News Comments > EA Closing Maxis?
10. Re: EA Closing Maxis? Mar 4, 2015, 16:47 Jivaro

It has been a rough decade for Emeryville.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 3, 2015, 16:03 Jivaro

If Led Zeppelin loses this lawsuit....all of pop music is in really big trouble because the same 4-5 chord combinations, at varying tempos, make up a huge percentage of all of the songs. I am definitely not a musical expert by any means. I know how to read music and play a number of brass instruments, the drums, and the piano because of childhood/teenage band classes. That's it. I never studied musical history, I can't sing, and I never wrote a song. That said, I think you could be completely musical illiterate and still see that this seems like a pretty weak case.

Australian musical comedy group "Axis of Awesome" in a video demonstrating how even classic songs, perceived to be unique by many, are relatively similar to other songs.

As someone else said, there is a difference between inspiration and blatantly ripping someone off. This seems more like a case of inspiration.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch 5 Will Add Party Storage; Mouselook
6. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch 5 Will Add Party Storage; Mouselook Mar 3, 2015, 00:01 Jivaro

This might be the patch that gets me to load the game back up. Love the game but it had issues..the patches seemed to increase the amount of issues....one of the patches corrupted my main savegame....blah blah blah.

I figured I would wait until the community seemed to signal the all clear. This patch, should it roll out smoothly, seems to be reasonably close to that.

2059 Comments. 103 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo