Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 1971 (Pro)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2015, 21:58 Jivaro

Overall, I think they get more right than they do wrong with instant replay and I am not prone to conspiracy theories. This particular referee was the same one that made a nearly identical call on a Calvin Johnson non-reception a couple years ago, so at least he is consistent. Easy for me to say I guess, not being a Cowboys or a Packers fan.

If it were me, I wouldn't have overturned the call on the field regardless of what it was given the angles provided. If it had been ruled incomplete it would have stayed that way and if it had been ruled complete it would have stayed that way. I just didn't see enough to qualify as "convincing" evidence. I also don't think they wrote the rule intending for a play like that to be ruled an incomplete pass. Perhaps they need to look at the wording again.

My initial thought/suggestion is that if the player has the ability to make the attempt to reach for the end zone with the ball than that has to be considered a football move regardless of how many steps the player has taken.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2015, 11:55 Jivaro

In honor of the modern online-only RPG, here is your *virtual birthday gift* for being a lifetime subscriber to..err...life! Pretend it's anything you like!

Happy Birthday to BluesNews very own Ant-Man!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2015, 20:44 Jivaro

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 15:48:
Woot. Got my invitation for the Amazon Echo. Won't be for a while, but interested in the audio quality....

I am seriously jealous. I really wanted to give that a go.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback
6. Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 9, 2015, 12:55 Jivaro

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 12:54:
Jivaro wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 12:52:
these players will have less than they had before the incident?

Not sure how did you end up with that conclusion.
From the text in the news story:
reset themselves to their pre-credit-refund state

I totally see how I came to that conclusion..lol...I didn't see the part you quoted the first time. Thanks for pointing it out.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback
4. Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 9, 2015, 12:52 Jivaro

Someone explain this to me...they are going to wipe all the funds of the "billionaires" despite admitting that those players didn't knowingly do anything wrong? As in, these players will have less than they had before the incident?

If that's true I am not sure I understand how that is "fair". I am not saying they should be able to keep all of it, but it seems odd to me that they would clean them completely out.

News Comments > Double Dragon Trilogy Next Week
3. Re: Double Dragon Trilogy Next Week Jan 9, 2015, 11:51 Jivaro

I look at it like board and card games. For example, first there was Uno. Than there was Travel Uno and Uno for Kids and they added and took away various aspects of what was originally a pretty simple and fun game. Than they made a whole new version of the normal sized Uno...but it had all the stuff that Travel and Kids Uno had in it. The game changed with the platform, the platform changed the game. Seems like, for good or bad, that happens with quite a bit of the older games these days. The people who played the games in their original form aren't generally fans but the folks who didn't seem to be eating it up.

I can't speak for the rest of you obviously but I have friends that are my age that never were really in to PC gaming as kids or young adults. Consequently the games they see on their mobile devices are new to them in many ways. Now they are adults and professionals with home or work computers that they occasionally game on. When they play a game on their desktop or laptop they want it to work just like it did on their tablet or phone. (assuming that's where they saw it first) They don't care that their little tablet RTS could have much better AI, longer building ques, better graphics, better sound, etc etc. They want it to be cheap and they want it to look just like it did before. That's pretty easy to accomplish if you start off with an older "retro" game in the first place I imagine.

I am just pre-caffeine typing out loud..but it seems to me that a smart company could make some pretty good margins off of that kind of a target market.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 8, 2015, 12:21 Jivaro

Yeah um...most schools and after school clubs don't use social media for adult to child communication, even if the child is a late teen. Coach to parent maybe, but not directly to the student/player/child. At least in most towns/cities. Mistake or not, it's odd that he has their social media info. If not just odd..a horrible idea. As was mentioned below, a central website or blog is the norm.

In a small town where everyone knows everyone it would be a bit more understandable. Everyone in my old hometown of 2000 people is on everyone's friends list regardless of age. It's still a horrible idea but turning someone down has all those small town politics type repercussions. Many people choose to have 2 FB pages, one with their real name that portrays whatever they want the general public to see and one that uses a fake name and only their close family and friends have. Of course all of them think they are the only ones that are doing that...lol.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 8, 2015, 10:56 Jivaro

Slick wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 18:14:
playstation TV is fucking terrible.

What exactly makes it terrible? If you own one I would be interested to hear what problems you have had. I like mine. Makes for a great 2nd TV streaming device and gaming console. It is a highly specific product that probably wouldn't appeal to anyone that doesn't already own a Vita and a PS4 though.

News Comments > Aliens Games Back on Steam
12. Re: Aliens Games Back on Steam Jan 8, 2015, 01:39 Jivaro

Jerykk wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 23:34:
Jivaro wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 18:00:
lol..called it. Every year it seems like there is at least one well known title, franchise, or publisher that has their stuff pulled from Steam for whatever reason at the turn of the year. Video game sales and distribution rights seems so unnecessarily complicated to me.

Except they usually don't come back. See Wolfenstein (2009), Deadpool, Dragon Age 2, Prey, Clive Barker's Jericho, FUEL, etc.

That is actually a pretty hefty list of games that have not returned, many of which I hadn't even noticed were gone. That said, it wasn't my point that they "usually" come back. It was my point, just as I wrote, that it seems like there is always at least ONE of these well known titles that comes and goes and comes back and there never really is a clear reason explained to anyone. Always around the turn of the year as well.

For whatever reason, probably because I have zero faith that Sega has any idea what it's doing, I assumed this was a blunder of some sort when it was first noticed. Well that and the fact that Sega doesn't have a distribution client of it's own. Had it been an EA game like Dragon Age 2, I would have assumed that they had decided to only offer the game through their own distribution software.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2015, 01:50.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2015, 18:17 Jivaro

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think the influx of movies is appropriate for the genre even if it is somewhat new for the medium. Comic books are episodic, they come out on a regular basis and they are continually telling a story with many mini stories within it. Marvel is doing that with the Marvel Universe in the movie theaters rather than just in comics or cartoons. (DC is apparently going to try that as well) Besides, if they don't do it this way they will have to keep recasting roles instead of having one actor play the same character in multiple movies.

This golden age of the superhero movie reminds me greatly of glory days of the Western. Everybody pronounced the Western dead over and over again but Hollywood had an incredible stable of actors and characters and as such the audience kept watching them. Eventually the interest will plateau and perhaps even slide. I think we are quite sometime from that as long as they keep introducing new characters instead of having the same 3 characters (Batman, Spiderman, and Superman) over and over again.

Hollywood is still going to make other movies and even Disney itself seems to be all in with rebooting all of it's fairy tale type stuff. I am really looking forward to the next decade of movies.

News Comments > Wizardry Online Revival Speculation
1. Re: Wizardry Online Revival Speculation Jan 7, 2015, 18:04 Jivaro

But why? It was horrible.  

News Comments > Aliens Games Back on Steam
1. Re: Aliens Games Back on Steam Jan 7, 2015, 18:00 Jivaro

lol..called it. Every year it seems like there is at least one well known title, franchise, or publisher that has their stuff pulled from Steam for whatever reason at the turn of the year. Video game sales and distribution rights seems so unnecessarily complicated to me.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2015, 16:29 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 15:55:
Damn, that shit in Paris is fucked up...

Yeah, yeah it is. So senseless.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2015, 12:06 Jivaro

Don't be so sure that we won't see Hank Pym in Avengers: Age of Ultron. I wouldn't put it past Whedon to hide something like that from the trailers.

I could be wrong, but I think the events of Age of Ultron are part of what pushes Hank Pym to seek out Scott Lang and put him in the suit. (well that and that someone has taken over his company and his Yellow Jacket tech) The current speculation is that Ultron is Stark's fault and that the Vision is created by him and Banner to combat him. I find that a believable take, and clearly the trailer is made to plant that seed to some extent, I am just not sure it's the only possibility. What if we are introduced to Hank Pym as the reason Ultron is created, perhaps that is why he loses control of his company?

Who knows. My marvel Fan-boy is showing but I find myself kinda hoping that they wouldn't be so stupid as to take EVERYTHING that made Ant-Man interesting away and than hope that they can put someone as dull as Scott lang in his place just because they sign a name like Rudd to do the part.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jan 6, 2015, 21:04 Jivaro

Finally going to buy the second VH game. I loved the first but my backlog is so large that I had been putting off buying the second. Can't really beat 5-7 bucks though.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Jan 5, 2015, 18:28 Jivaro

I wonder if Perfect World going private would be a good thing for the dev teams and the customers. I assume yes, but I guess I don't really know that.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 5, 2015, 18:19 Jivaro

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 17:25:
Has anyone tried to ala carte offerings yet? I think I read there was a little lag but this streaming stuff was finally playable.

I have and the service works great in my area. I had a slight lag blip when my step-daughter started streaming a video in another room but things were fine after that brief second. It's a very connection dependent service. If your service is slow or undependable than you will have trouble. If your service is stable you are less likely to have trouble. Obviously if you have the phat pipeline you will be just fine.

Of course, we don't know how many people are using the service right now. When this new payment system comes into place I expect more people will be using it. Given Sony's history I find myself questioning whether or not they will be prepared if the server load is high.

Their strategy always reminds me of Christmas at my Great Aunt's house. She never has enough chairs for everyone to sit. She just assumes that half the people who are supposed to show are going to flake so she never has enough chairs at the table. We end up bringing our own chairs. (I am not kidding by the way) The problems with this strategy for an online gaming service are obvious and yet Sony is far from the only company to do this.

News Comments > Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams
4. Re: Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams Jan 5, 2015, 18:02 Jivaro

Someone in the FB thread speculates that Ken made the post as a subtle game announcement. It's an interesting theory, but I think this is probably just the harmless response to a few thousand fan requests regarding System Shock that it appears to be.

That being said, if Brian Reynolds makes an Alpha Centauri rpg/shooter someday we will be able to look back on this random FB thread and say "Thanks Ken!"

edit: I would also add that while I have never met anyone who didn't like Freedom Force I have met a lot of people that considered it a pretty average game. In other words, while I myself loved both games, it appears most people think they were simply "good" games that could have been much better. The sales numbers, if I recall, indicated that not many people were overly impressed by the demo that was provided on the cover of PC Gamer magazine and at Fileplanet at the time. Perhaps now that superheroes are more mainstream than ever Ken would be able to make the Freedom Force game that Gotham gamers deserve.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2015, 18:09.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 5, 2015, 16:59 Jivaro

I wouldn't complain about it being lower..

There seems to be something magical about the number 15 and video game companies when it comes to monthly subs. I wonder how they come up with that number and why it always seems to be that number. (okay, not always, but a majority of the time)

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 5, 2015, 12:18 Jivaro

Much better pricing plan Sony. I can actually see many Playstation owners doing that, particularly those with families where multiple users with multiple gaming tastes are playing on the machine. It's a lot cheaper than buying everyone the games they like individually. Hell, if Nintendo offered something like this on a WiiU I would buy one today and subscribe immediately. I would prefer some sort of "Master PS+" subscription option that includes PS Now so I don't have to maintain two separate subscriptions...bet hey...that's not a big deal.

Not so sure that it's as attractive for single user situations.

1971 Comments. 99 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo