Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 2011 (Senior)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 22, 2015, 11:24 Jivaro

Both of my "smart" TVs have had recent updates to the Youtube app. One would assume they were to keep them functioning. I have a blu-ray player with a Youtube app built-in as well...I am very certain it won't be getting the same update. It was already out of production when I bought it.

Planned obsolescence, you gotta love it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Firefly Cast Returns for Firefly Online
34. Re: Firefly Cast Returns for Firefly Online Apr 21, 2015, 22:49 Jivaro

Going by Joss's most recent comments, I would say it is far more likely that he will attempt to create a totally new IP before he revisits anything.

The answers Joss has been giving to interviewers are things that sound like "After so many years of doing Marvel's stuff, I need to go do my own stuff. I need to create something new again and make sure I still can." (paraphrasing)

Firefly, Buffy, Dollhouse....we all want to see more and everyone in the world knows it. It's literally money sitting there to be collected. I think some of that will be done but it really sounds to me like Joss isn't in any hurry to redo old stuff. It sounds like he wants to do new stuff right now. Can't say I blame him.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 17, 2015, 11:08 Jivaro

descender wrote on Apr 17, 2015, 11:04:
Guitar hero is confirmed to have a new guitar layout (3 frets in 2 rows) and no old instruments are compatible. None of the old purchased music moves with you either, but they are offering tons of tracks through some sort of "guitar hero radio" service.

Thanks for that!

Rock Band sounds like it will appeal to my household.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 17, 2015, 10:50 Jivaro

So let me get this straight...

Rock Band 4 will support not only it's own franchise's old instruments but also Guitar Hero's instruments. It also plans to use as much of your previously owned music as well. Sounds like a win.

Has Guitar Hero Live confirmed any of the same claims? I visited their website and closed it nearly immediately. It's one of those sites that is so poorly designed that you say "screw this" inside of your first 3 clicks.

News Comments > Blizzard Killing Diablo III Trial Rifts
3. Re: Blizzard Killing Diablo III Trial Rifts Apr 17, 2015, 10:43 Jivaro

It wasn't a bad concept, it was just poorly implemented. At least I think so as a solo player.

Having never done Diablo 3 as a multiplayer game I can't really speak to that perspective. It seems like most people agree they are heavily flawed though.

News Comments > EA Ending BF Heroes and Other F2P Games
7. Re: EA Ending BF Heroes and Other F2P Games Apr 16, 2015, 01:20 Jivaro

FIFA World became globally available in May of last year. They never even got out of beta or had a version 1.x.

LOL.

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Mortal Kombat X
14. Re: Ship Ahoy - Mortal Kombat X Apr 14, 2015, 15:33 Jivaro

When I buy a fighting game (or a sports game) on day one...I am buying it on console. I buy them on PC when the price has dropped usually, and the pay off is that any problems are usually worked out as well. (not to mention the DLC is usually included as well)

By the sounds of it, this pattern of behavior is paying off big time with MKX. It sounds like the PC launch has been miserable for folks.

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Mortal Kombat X
4. Re: Ship Ahoy - Mortal Kombat X Apr 14, 2015, 10:03 Jivaro

I feel like I am the only one at this site that pr-ordered this instead of GTA.

I always looked at the crazy inputs needed to pull off fatalities and such as part of the Mortal Kombat experience but I can see why people might want easier ways to do it. It's just like any other "pay to not actually play the game" mechanic...I wouldn't do it but if Warner can get the extra money from people who are willing to pay it, I am not going to say much.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Beta Patches
15. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Patches Apr 11, 2015, 10:31 Jivaro

Since there is DLC coming, it is not unreasonable to imagine that new NPCs the represent previously unused classes will become available.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided to be Steamy
17. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided to be Steamy Apr 10, 2015, 13:47 Jivaro

nin wrote on Apr 10, 2015, 13:04:
SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 10, 2015, 12:47:
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 10, 2015, 12:43:
Frags4Fun wrote on Apr 10, 2015, 12:41:
Any word on consoles?

Yes. They suck.
win

Don't listen to The Peasant.

lol..awesome..

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 10, 2015, 13:24 Jivaro

I played DC Universe for a short period of time and had they offered such a service while I was playing I would have taken it in a heartbeat. As it is, I basically started over on the PS3 and abandoned my PC characters.

That said, DC Universe was clearly made with consoles and gamepads in mind. The game, IMO, plays better with a gamepad. I haven't played TESO since beta so I have no idea how the controls handle with a console controller. I imagine just being able to play on a larger screen instead of the 20 something inch monitor "most people"* use would be a good enough reason for many people. I know I was seriously tempted to switch to PS4 for my D3 fix for that reason....despite the fact that my gaming rig has a 32" center monitor.

*assumption based on zero facts but instead personal experience of course

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Apr 10, 2015, 02:10 Jivaro

The King of Fighters....love those games. Don't usually buy fighters on PC but that's a great deal for those 3 games. Picked up Injustice and Mortal Kombat 9 Komplete for 5 bucks each while I was at it. I own Injustice on PS3/PS4 and MK 9 on PS3...but this will get me in the mood this weekend for the Tuesday release of MK 10.

I would have spent all of that on DOA Last Round if the pricing wasn't so ridiculous for the DLC, if the engine for the PC version wasn't inferior to the PS4/XBONE versions, if the gameplay features were the same as the consoles for online play, and if they weren't being such little cry babies about a few modders making nude mods.

Steam is giving people a way to vote with their wallet I guess.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Preloads
56. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Preloads Apr 9, 2015, 12:16 Jivaro

My only problem with Amazon "release day" delivery is definitely something most people would classify as a first world problem, but it's annoying nonetheless. I live at the end of the delivery route apparently. That means that I get my "release day" delivery at about 8:00pm. I like physical copies over digital and free shipping via my Prime membership is great so I put up with it. /shrug

News Comments > Free Elder Scrolls Online Weekend for Beta Players
12. Re: Free Elder Scrolls Online Weekend for Beta Players Apr 8, 2015, 23:00 Jivaro

I would be surprised to see it drop to 20 bucks again before the console versions are released. Maybe come the next holiday season they will put all of the versions on a sale though. After that it will probably depend on how successful the game is.  

News Comments > GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs
30. Re: GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs Apr 8, 2015, 22:48 Jivaro

Blu-Ray players for a PC are stupid cheap. I think it's a pretty safe bet that if you have the gfx card to play this game than you can afford a PC Blu-Ray player. A internal Pioneer BDC-207DBK is $37.50 on Newegg.com right now. There are external drives that are as cheap. There is no logic in being okay with the 70-100 dollars or more it costs to meet the gfx card requirement of "NVIDIA 9800 GT 1GB / AMD HD 4870 1GB (DX 10, 10.1, 11)" and than be somehow bothered if someone suggests making things easier by using a piece of hardware that is cheaper than the actual game, the established standard in disc storage, and already being used by both of the other two platforms the game is played on.

I am one of those guys that prefers to own a physical copy of a game whenever possible. It isn't always possible, but when it is that is what I buy. I would love it if they would switch from DVD to Blu-Ray. When you start having to pack 5 or more discs into the packaging that is when it's time to move to the next level of storage. I am a collector though, so of course I am going to want physical copies. I get it that a lot of people are all about digital distribution. I am adjusting...slowly. I miss boxes, disc case covers, and thick manuals. *sigh*

BTW, VLC is great for playing Blu-Rays (movies) on the cheap. It's what I use primarily and I haven't had any problems in a very long time. For people who like more intuitive software and don't mind paying for it there is PowerDVD by Cyberlink, which also plays Blu-Rays. I am told it's a solid program. That "player only" or standard version of it costs 50 bucks. The Pro version, which allows you to copy discs and record data if your Blu-Ray hardware supports it, is typically 80 bucks. It's on sale right now for 35% off, making it the same cost as the standard version. The Ultra version that allows film editing (and other fancy stuff) and provides cloud storage is normally 200 bucks and it is on sale for 60 bucks. Cyberlink.com's store page is where you would find the deal if anybody is interested.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 7, 2015, 12:29 Jivaro

I don't think anyone, Oliver or us, is ignoring that point man. It is one of many very valid concerns.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 7, 2015, 11:04 Jivaro

The part about not reading everything he released while acknowledging the possible consequences of releasing the data is particularly interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I think something like what Snowden did needed to be done and took a great deal of courage. That said, throwing a bunch of classified material out into the world without first actually reading it to make sure you aren't endangering people needlessly is reckless beyond measure and completely irresponsible. It seems to me he was gambling people's lives without actually knowing what his hand was.

Also interesting is that Oliver is the first person I have seen ask him whether he read everything or not. Not an actual journalist, but a guy who is primarily a comedian who deals in political satire. Admittedly, I have only seen 4 other interviews, but those were all professional journalists and they all seemed much more intent on portraying him to be this "people's champion" rather than simply sticking to the facts. Noble intentions do not negate possible consequences.

Probably going to regret going into a political discussion here but I found the whole interview kinda surreal.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 7, 2015, 10:27 Jivaro

Madden and MLB The Show allow you to import stuff from the previous year/version so that you can pick up where you left off. If NBA2K15 had done the same thing this would be a non-issue.

I uninstalled NBA2K 14 from my Steam library and backed up my local save files without updating to the new "post online server" world so that I can wait for the inevitable community mod/hack that will preserve my player and franchise. I bought NBA2k15 for the PS4 and it is the best basketball game on the platform. It isn't good enough to buy it twice so that I can play on my PC as well. To be specific, it isn't different enough from NBA2K14.

PS: For those who play sports games like I do...MLB The Show 15 is the best sports game on the market on any platform. Unless you hate baseball of course.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Turns One
29. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Turns One Apr 6, 2015, 22:43 Jivaro

Osc8r wrote on Apr 6, 2015, 19:23:
I guess there is a troll for every game
-fixed that for ya

(that's a joke, if it isn't obvious)

No but seriously, obviously it's a subjective thing. People prioritize different things in their games. If lore is your thing and combat is secondary than yeah..any game that has the same priorities is going to be appealing. Not to be Captain Obvious or anything but...well...that seems sort of obvious.

Quinn - I am going to be picking up the Imperial Edition. Not for any real reason other than I can. I was going to make an Imperial for the Daggerfall Cov, so I most likely will take your advice.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
12. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 6, 2015, 16:17 Jivaro

If you were expecting 10 years than you haven't read the full extent of his crimes and the sheer amount of people he victimized. Once something is on the Internet, it's there forever. Your argument that somehow these people (not just women btw) will "get over it" in some random amount of time is simply wrong. This could be affecting them in many ways for far longer than he is currently sentenced to be in prison.

I read what you're saying about digital crimes being exaggerated by the court system and I simply can't see how that is true in this particular case. Thousands of people are affected by this man's actions. Is any one of them affected as much as one woman would be affected by a rape? I wouldn't think so, but he committed the same crime hundreds of times. He is literally paying the price for only committing it a few times. That wouldn't happen with a physical, "real world", crime. You kill 10 people you get 10 murder charges. You rape 10 women, you get 10 rape charges. His amount of charges are a tiny fraction of his actual crimes. He was blackmailing and extorting people not just copy+pasting videos to a web site. Hell, he even committed multiple counts of identity theft.

He got off easy. Way too easy. Some of that is because some of his victim's declined to testify because they didn't want to draw even more attention to themselves. If this had been your son or daughter that had been victimized by this guy and it was their sex lives that were now permanently on the Internet, I have to wonder if you feel the same way you seem to now. You have some accurate statements regarding the US court system and how it's applied, I just can't see how any of it is true of this particular case.

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 2015, 19:20. -typos

2011 Comments. 101 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo