Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 1778 (Pro)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > WoW 10th Anniversary Celebrations
2. Re: WoW 10th Anniversary Celebrations Nov 21, 2014, 10:18 Jivaro

holy shit...MC. Oh the memories...  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition
78. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition Nov 19, 2014, 11:22 Jivaro

What Verno said is basically exactly what I was going to type. I am only 2 hours in but while I am impressed with the graphics, story, and characters I am equally disappointed with the combat, controls, and other QoL issues.

I might put this game on the backburner until either Bioware or the modders make it more fun to actually play because I have a feeling that if I wasn't so annoyed with trying to play the game there is actually a really good experience hiding in all of it.

Also...what in the world makes Bioware so horrid at hair? I made a clean shaven bald guy just so I wouldn't laugh every time the camera zoomed in on my dude. the facial hair in paticular is just soooooo bad.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Nov 18, 2014, 12:06 Jivaro

I find Amazon sales to be largely underwhelming when it comes to the games themselves. Sometimes you can get a great price buying DLC in bulk for a particular title though.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age Inquisition Nov 18, 2014, 11:47 Jivaro

Didn't they release a version of the character creator ahead of the game with DA: Origins? I have long looked at that as one of those "Why doesn't every RPG do this dammit?!" moments.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 18, 2014, 11:29 Jivaro

I fully understand why Anonymous didn't take on the KKK sooner and I know why they are doing it now, the article explains as much. My comment said "a hacktivist group", as in anybody, not just Anonymous. While all these hackers and script kiddies go after governement or corporate entities they seem to largely ignore some pretty obvious targets that would make them far more popular with the mainstream as a whole. I am sure popularity isn't exactly their measure of success, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if you want a broader sense of support and acceptance from the general public perhaps you ought to have some successes against something people largely agree on as "evil". Regardless of what any hacktivist may want to believe, the reality is that the mainstream's support is important. If the mainstream, and in particular the voting contingency of the mainstream, show support for a hacktivist cause the politicians and powers that be will be far more likely to take that cause seriously. Money and votes, at the end of the day, is what it's all about. When they hack a company they might cost a CEO his job but the company will just replace him with another one. If the mayor can blame Anonymous for vandalism during a protest rather than be forced to address an important topic than no change will occur.

I will give you an example. My wife is a nurse. She goes to veterans homes and treats their ailments and injuries when they aren't healthy enough for regular travel but not sick enough to be in a hospital. Her office is a federal building in the Bay Area. Every time Anonymous decides the government is to blame for the world's problems they throw a protest outside and for security reasons the building is shut down. My wife can now not do her job and those veterans either have to wait for care or make arrangements to get to a doctor. There will never be a time when you are going to be able to explain how any of what Anonymous does is "good" or "right" to my wife or any of the other people in her unit for all of the obvious reasons. That particular building may be owned by the government, but by blocking it off they have only managed to be harmful to people that really can't afford to be harmed anymore than they already have.

Now, when my wife opened up her laptop and saw the headline "Anonymous takes on KKK" she started clapping. "About time they did something besides fuck with a store I shop with or my job. If they did this kind of thing more often I might even donate to them." Her exact words.

Obviously no hacktivist group is obligated or expected to do anything just because it's more convenient to the mainstream, I just think there are some pretty obvious easy targets out there that would generate a ton of goodwill with the public and actually accomplish something positive. Hacktivism has a long future in front of itself, for better or worse. Sooner or later the folks that participate in it are going to want/need the mainstream's support. Making everyday people go through a huge hassle every time a company is hacked isn't doing anything except pissing Joe Average off. People continue shopping at those places. Protests do send a message but there are so many people who use protests as an excuse for violence, vandalism, etc that the message gets lost. This is particularly true here in the Bay Are where every time an Anonymous rally starts it ends with a bunch of hooded dudes breaking store windows and flipping cars. The people who organize the protests have no idea who they folks are but it happens every time.

TL;DR If I was a hacktivist the KKK, the Westboro Church, and other hate groups would be regular targets.

Okay, I will shut up now. I just think these folks have a tremendous amount of power and they seemingly wield it in very inefficient and ineffectual ways. People fear them but positive change isn't really happening.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2014, 12:35.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 18, 2014, 10:16 Jivaro

I am glad the PC version of GTA is not out today....I can focus on DAI, which in a moment of weakness I decided to pre-order. I replayed one and two and decided that there was no way I wasn't going to buy this game anyway so what the hell. I can slap myself up the head later if it sucks.  

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
220. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 17, 2014, 12:37 Jivaro

While I agree with you Slick about the over-reaction to this particular announcement, you are mistaken about gamers having favorites. At least the gamers here. We bitch and moan about everybody equally. Blizzard, Valve, etc...they all get their shot as the dart board. EA has earned their spot as top dart getter, but they are far from somehow being the red-headed step-child that is the only one gets beaten for no reason.

We are equal opportunity bitchers.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 17, 2014, 11:14 Jivaro

My feelings on Anonymous are mixed, at best, but I find myself greatly pleased that they are messing with the KKK. I have long wondered why a hacktivist group hasn't gone after them before.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 10:55 Jivaro

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 09:21:
WonderFox 2014 Thanksgiving Giveaway.

Wow. That is huge.

No annoying ads or browser toolbars....which is what i was expecting. Not bad at all. I am going to play with them. I wonder if the serials work after Nov 30 or if I ever have to reinstall I would need to purchase a new code. Obviously if I find the software useful I don't mind paying for it, but the offer is sorta unclear on how that works. Or at least it is unclear to me.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Patch and Workarounds
8. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Patch and Workarounds Nov 15, 2014, 13:29 Jivaro

Fion wrote on Nov 15, 2014, 13:05:
And wait a second, the characters name is Arno Dorian? WTF! Your in revolutionary France and you went with 'Arno'? Considering the games history in choosing names that assert their setting, i.e. Ezio Audiotre, ALtair Ibn-La'Ahad, Ratonhnhake:ton, Haytham 'Edward' Kenway, etc. Arno sounds about as 18th century french as 'Kevin'.

It is French, as in it has French roots, but usually as a last name. The wiki has plenty of people with Arno as a first name, but none of them are French. There is a Belgian... In the end, it does seem a questionable choice of names.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
18. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2014, 13:32 Jivaro

I love to use Spotify but obviously there is a money pit somewhere. If Taylor Swift, as popular as she is, has only swung a half a million out of it than something is clearly wrong with the business model from the artist's standpoint and I can understand why she wouldn't look at it as a worthwhile partnership.

Unless of course somebody can prove that Spotify, like radio stations, somehow encourages sales of albums and music. For example, I hear on a song on Spotify and I go to Amazon or Apple and buy it to put in my library. Given how Spotify works...I don't see that being valid. I have almost stopped buying music entirely since I started using Spotify and Pandora. (depending on the device and location)

News Comments > The Crew Trailer
1. Re: The Crew Trailer Nov 13, 2014, 18:12 Jivaro

"Forbes rips us a new one...so why not launch a trailer today?" -Ubisoft PR  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 13, 2014, 12:12 Jivaro

As am I. I am still waffling on buying it pre-holidays or post-holidays. I just finished a DA2 playthrough and am in the middle of a DA:O playthrough. (I know, backasswards, but I have that save game generator so it doesn't matter) For all the criticisms I recall having of both games I have to admit I had forgotten how much I like the universe Bioware created.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2014, 15:46 Jivaro

As the kids would say...

I can't even.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Preorders
6. Re: Pillars of Eternity Preorders Nov 12, 2014, 11:37 Jivaro

Can. Not. Wait.

(please. don't. suck.)

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
13. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 10, 2014, 23:55 Jivaro

I think it makes perfect sense to make Internet access legally considered a utility in the way that electricity, gas, etc are. I am not going to fight over who is the bigger douche in all of this, that's all distracting bullshit that does nothing to gain a solution to the actual issue. I mean, seriously, all politicians are douchnozzles of the highest order. It's in the fucking job description at this point.

It doesn't matter if you're an ultra right wing conservative or an ultra left wing liberal....the Internet being a utility under the law makes perfect sense. Well, unless of course you are Comcast, Time Warner, or one of the many politicians they donate too.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2014, 10:32 Jivaro

Yeah, the UI and OS for the PS3 was never quick, but it got really slow with the last year or two of updates. I have kept mine for only two reasons, one good and one lame. The lame reason is because it's one of those red "God of War" limited editions and I am one of those people who digs stuff like that. The good reason is because it's still a good device for Amazon, Netflix, Hulu+, etc on our secondary TV. In the not so distant future I see clearing it up of pretty much everything except the save game data for it's exclusives and fighting games and adding it to the retro console shelf in the man cave right next my PSOne and PS2.  

News Comments > Saturday Previews
4. Re: Saturday Previews Nov 9, 2014, 11:31 Jivaro

nin wrote on Nov 9, 2014, 11:23:
I was hoping they'd announce a new expansion.

me too

News Comments > Ubisoft Titles Return to Steam
5. Re: Ubisoft Titles Return to Steam Nov 7, 2014, 19:55 Jivaro

Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 19:37:
Very strange. Seems like they don't know what they are doing.

You find that strange do you?

News Comments > Ubisoft vs. Steam?
81. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 16:09 Jivaro

Does anyone else use Raptr? I have to assume that is why I don't care whether a program uses Steam or not...because I am using something else to launch everything anyway. Than again, maybe I wouldn't care anyway. I don't multiplayer game much outside of MMOs so Steam has always been a marketplace with a convenient game launcher attached to it for me. Since all the publishers want to cut out the middleman whenever possible now I have to run all of these damn things in the background of course, but the fact is that none of them are resource intensive, I never seem to have any trouble, and it keeps all my games in one launcher. The exceptions being games that I can run with the Nexus Mod Manager of course.

The other solution would be to only have the games I am actually playing installed, like a normal person, in which case what launcher I used wouldn't matter I suppose. I like to have everything I might even remotely have a chance at loading up...because I am stupid like that...so that is why I use Raptr. Easy to keep my video settings and screenshots straight as well. I live under the constant delusion that I will get to all those games in my backlog but only if I keep them installed on my PC.

1778 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo