Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for K McNall

Real Name K McNall   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Erebus
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Old school gamer. Emphasis on old.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 22, 2010, 23:23
Total Comments 22 (Suspect)
User ID 55839

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
40. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2014, 07:57 Erebus

Blue you have lots of fans and friends here but this is your business and I've been pretty surprised watching this unfold. Reading about this pice of hardware and that piece of hardware and clearly seeing that your site and systems could not have been backed up and restorable is a bit shocking.

Time to get into the Cloud sir and away from the rack at the colo.

Seriously this is my favorite site and irs at risk with your current 90s strategy!

I'll take the slings and arrows of the fanboys in the hope that you make a good move to protect your business.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation
33. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 19:36 Erebus

In 1997 was in the heart of hard-core gaming glory, and Total Annihilation was the hard core RTS gamer's dream. It was the first work of man that made me feel compelled to meet the creator which I was fortunate enough to do.

A rebooted TA from Chris Taylor is one of the few things that might make me dust off my custom controllers.

News Comments > Developer: Demos Kill Sales
28. Re: Developer: Demos Kill Sales Feb 12, 2013, 18:13 Erebus

I agree that demos kill sales, both for a crappy game and a great one.

What a demo most definitely kills is the development cycle, introducing a major milestone at a time when it's most critical to be focused on the development of the actual game. Demos can become and end not a means, distracting and deflecting needed resources.

Good call.

News Comments > Chris Taylor on Wildman
25. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 20, 2013, 13:06 Erebus

I just pledged $1k to Wildman and it is a pleasure to support Chris and GPG.

Chris is one of the best people I ha ve encountered in business. He is a principled person and does the right thing. I have been enjoying his creations since TA. I have no doubt I will enjoy this game as well.

The game industry is in transition and I hope as many good independent studios like GPG make it through this transition as possible. The old funding model is drying up and KS has come along at a great time.

I know my $$ are going to go into the game with GPG, not into trying to put an office together and pull a first time team together.

Support GPG! Best of luck to Chris and his team!

ps loved Demigod. Didn't love impulse.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 20:03 Erebus

Don't the Seahawks have a bye this week?  

32. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2012, 00:35 Erebus

Yeah congrats Blue.

Anyway, about this Specter thing. Of ourse the media is all teed up with their aggrandizing this prototypical self-serving crook of a politician, conveniently forgetting that he's the genius that came up with the "magic bullet" theory of Kennedy's assassination. The problem with selling your soul is when that bill coms due. Marshmallows anyone?

Mr. Blue, I've enjoyed your site for many a year; it's probably themost reliable thing on the internet. I'm usually afraid to post here because of the cliquish and hostile nature of the denizens hereof, but I'll risk it to say congrats.

PS - I hope you appreciate the subtle humour of the above. I suspect I'll be attacked by the afore mentioend cliquish and hostile before I even press "post".

News Comments > Stardock Sues Ex-Employee for $1M
35. Re: Stardock Sues Ex-Employee for $1M Aug 16, 2012, 19:54 Erebus

So THAT'S what happened! Glad to get some closure on this reeking pile of poo.

Unless she had collected a lot of marketing data on potential customers that really wanted a "fixer upper" game I don't see how this event would impact anything to do with Elemental.

I've never been able to fathom the airplay that Wardell has received. He's very sticky when it comes to happenings of this nature.

News Comments > Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise
31. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 18:43 Erebus

I feel for all of the people at 38, including Mr. Schilling.

The real bummer here is that Schilling didn't have anyone to slap him around or only let him have $10m of his $50m fortune to throw down the black hole. Not knowing exactly what you're doing in game development is a great way to blow through any amount of money.

I sincerely doubt that Curt Schilling is any kind of diabolical mastermind. I think he just lost his entire fortune and was probably in a lot of denial up until the last minute. He's not having any fun right now.

Running a small business is brutal for anyone. He was a noob at business and game development.

Here's hoping those folks all find good jobs soon.

News Comments > Layoffs at id Software
27. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 00:37 Erebus

Whatever they've become, I'll never forget the twitch, speed, terror and pure fun of playing Doom2 in the early days of real-time pvp. I'm sorry that the once-mighty ID is now reduced to having nostalgic posts like this one written about them. It's been a long, slow, ugly decline.  

News Comments > Diablo III DRM Problems
26. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 22, 2011, 18:09 Erebus

This is a tempest in a teapot. The proof is in the quality of the overall experience, which I'm guessing will be Blizzard-level all the way.

IMHO most of the best and most relevant gaming experiences today are real-time experiences that don't let you get up and take a little vacation at the door, phone, or water closet. Whether RTS, FPS, or MMO you can't just leave in the middle of a battle.

Game developers have a right to DRM, and online play and server-side components are about the only way to achieve it unless you're into dongles. We're all going to have higher quality experiences, SP and MP, when piracy is a thing of the past.

News Comments > Why Minecraft Isn't On Steam
16. Re: Why Minecraft Isn't On Steam Aug 30, 2011, 00:33 Erebus

Good for them. Why should they be limited in any way by the digital distributor of a game? It does no good to finally get rid of the yoke of traditional publishers and retail distribution if Valve is just as autocratic. I hope more developers take advantage of the readily available technologies to distribute their own products.  

News Comments > More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up
39. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 16, 2011, 20:19 Erebus

Impressive.

Even after so many have clearly illustrated how the last guy to post this is a total idiot - there you are to pile on with your support.

You actually believe it is a good idea to let a company revoke someone's rights (in this case a game they paid money for) simply because they "criticize and run down the establishment and its employees"?

So, if I don't like a game, and say so, the company should be able to prevent me from playing it? Even though I paid for it?

What if I give it a bad rating on a user review site? Or a mediocre one? Or just fail support it with every fiber of my being?

For crissake, go buy 1984 and have someone read it to you, then explain why you're being a total git.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Darn it, I forgot to read through the whole thread to see what it was ok for me to say.

Please back up the statements of your running mouth by standing in the middle of Wal-Mart next time you're there (which I'm sure won't be more than 24 hours from now) and starting a 4-letter-word rant trashing the company and their employees, running down their products and services and doing so ad nauseum in a manner the other shoppers can't avoid. That's the kind of behaviour that most of these ban-clowns participate in, and I'm *perfelctly* comfortable with them losing their game privileges altogether.

A git I may be, but I don't go around telling people what they can and can't think or call them names for expressing their opinion.

News Comments > More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up
26. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 16, 2011, 16:16 Erebus

While it's amusing to see the publishers running scared over this issue and un-banning left and right, as fas as I'm concerned one of the biggest problems with internet gaming is people feeling they can act like a horse's ass with no repercussions.

Name one "real life" business where you can stand in the middle of the store, act like a jackass, criticize and run down the establishment and its employees, and literally cause damage to the business with no repercussions. With the exception of a WWE wrestlish match or the Republican National Convention, I can't think of too many.

Ban 'em all and let God sort 'em out.

News Comments > BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted
9. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 11, 2011, 19:51 Erebus

How is one user in one game getting banned, accidentally or not, worthy of any notice at all? Trolls getting this kind of attention (and odds are this guy did something to get it) has always confounded me. How is this Bluesworthy?  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2011, 17:03 Erebus

Your picks are fine except the Seahawks are going to beat the Bears. Then they'll host the NFC Championship Game at 9-9 and beat the Packers to represent the NFC in the SuperBowl. The refs will then hand them the SuperBowl they way they handed it to the Steelers when Seattle last played in the Superbowl, and equalibrium will be restored to the universe.

So let it be written. So let it be done.

News Comments > Kings and Castles Preproduction Complete
3. Re: Kings and Castles Preproduction Complete Oct 10, 2010, 16:18 Erebus

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 9, 2010, 14:03:
Thank the gods, its finally over, gone finito, this Vlog was the dumbest thing that ever littered the internets. Aye!

That's one perspective. Another is it's been highly entertaining and a cool look into the gestation of a new game.

By the way, your observation might be credible if you'd watched all the blog entries, yet ironically would then not be credible for the very same reason...why would you watch all the eposides of "the dumbest thing..."?

I did watch them all and on that basis formed my opinion. I too can't wait for more.

News Comments > On Game Prices & Inflation
35. Re: On Game Prices & Inflation Oct 6, 2010, 19:35 Erebus

Games remain one of the best entertainment values in terms of cost per hour, even though there's a lot of complaining about the cost of the $60 game. Even counting those games you purchase and quit after 2 hours, the average vs. movies, pro sports, or even bowling makes video games the best value around.

Many in the industry characterize the game-type battle as one of cost (retail "AAA" box vs. casual/downloadable), but I think it's actually a battle of "epic 15-hour adventure" vs. "30-second game-bite" experience.

Gamers are costing themselves the epic experience of big-budget games by not recognizing the incredible value for the entertainment dollar. I hope we all like little game-bite Ipad experiences.

News Comments > Kings and Castles Video Blog. Chris Taylor Interview
1. Re: Kings and Castles Video Blog. Chris Taylor Interview Sep 25, 2010, 14:34 Erebus

Take a look at this weeks blog...the flow pathing is incredible and this game is starting to really take shape. It has been amazing to watch the progress and Taylor is entertaining.  

News Comments > Strange Quote of the Day
13. Re: Strange Quote of the Day Sep 21, 2010, 00:07 Erebus

Hardly anyone I know who has played a PC FPS calls whatever they have on the console an FPS....  

News Comments > Digital PC Games Sales Pass Boxed Sales
15. Re: Digital PC Games Sales Pass Boxed Sales Sep 20, 2010, 20:14 Erebus

Retailers are becoming less and less necessary to the success of video games or the industry - as they are to the music industry. Unfortunately only a small part of this will make its way to the consumer, as digital distributors are charging every bit as much as retailers to "carry" the inventory, even though they have no inventory carrying costs, shrinkage, physical (box) distribution costs, or manufacturer return allowance.

What will get interesting is when there are lots of competitors for Steam and the other digital distributors, so actual competition means they don't get the beefy cuts they get right now, and the consumer can get a bigger piece of that pie - or the developer, which is what is really needed.

22 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo