Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Siygess

Real Name Siygess   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 6, 2010, 14:42
Total Comments 40 (Suspect)
User ID 55818

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed
24. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 23, 2014, 05:34 Siygess

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 02:40:
<stuff that is generally true>

While I somewhat agree, I also think that the existing methods of showing the story in a game are also incredibly limited.. or rather they are usually implemented in a heavy-handed manner. In addition to the dialogue-heavy exposition, you also have:

1) In-engine scripted sequence (player still has agency) ala Call of Duty.

The limitations of the game engine often rear their head (player tries to interact with an entity participating in the sequence, to no effect). Also, since the player still has control, it's really easy to miss stuff like this because you were facing the wrong direction or busy poking around in your inventory, looking for cake.

2) In-engine scripted sequence (player has no agency) ala most games, ever.

By taking away control from the player and forcing them to Watch The Damned Story, you are addressing most of the issues with example 1, but the trade off is that you are frustrating the user by taking away their control and breaking their immersion.

3) The cut-scene!

Pre-rendered cut scenes can offer the most movie-like experience when it comes to relating the story but the results are often lackluster (visually) and there is usually a disconnect between what your understanding of the game world and what you see on the screen (I wasn't standing over there. I wasn't wearing that armour. Why can my gun suddenly kill a dude with one shot?) They can also go on for a really long time..

4) Quick-time events, ala Our Friend, the Console Port.

On the plus side, they allow a sequence of events that are normally not possible via the existing game interface and while they don't often impact the story telling (other than.. by preventing you from seeing more of it because you failed) they can be used progress the story in a cinematic way while adding a dash of exposition e.g.

The ship is sinking because, as part of the QTE, you pushed the captain away from the wheel of the ship, tore off the wheel and used it as a projectile weapon to defeat the monster.

Now we understand why the captain is mad and why the ship is out of control in the next scene.

5) Lore!

When pages of dialog just isn't enough, shove all your words in a virtual book that the player can chose to ignore! Now the player can be the kind of well-adjusted sociopath who only interacts with other people via his fist AND likes to read a good book now and then..

Now, all six groups have their detractors but I really don't think that any one of them is inherently bad (not even QTEs!), it just depends on the implementation and frequency within a particular genre of game. In an action RPG like Diablo, I'm fine with a combination of 3 and 5. In a first person shooter I'm fine with 1 - 3. With a third-person action title I'm happy with 2 - 4 and in an RPG? My preference is certainly 2, 5 and the interactive dialogue Bioware is so fond of

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Alien Isolation Preorder Bonus Features Film Cast
16. Re: Alien Isolation Preorder Bonus Features Film Cast Jul 10, 2014, 04:32 Siygess

The edition with both pieces of DLC is also available at Game here in the UK under the guise of the "Ripley Edition".. for the princely sum of £38 for the PC edition.  

News Comments > Dead Island 2 Announced
25. Re: Dead Island 2 Announced Jun 11, 2014, 15:33 Siygess

Hmm, isn't that Jack Black providing the voice for the survivor at the end of the trailer?  

News Comments > Rainbow Six: Siege Announced
21. Re: Rainbow Six: Siege Announced Jun 10, 2014, 17:55 Siygess

Beamer wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 13:14:
Is that a term, "Ubistaging?" Does Ubi often do this?

I may have just made that up, but it totally should be. Check out the gameplay trailers for "The Division" from E3 2013 and 2014 and you'll see exactly the same thing - the application of a little roleplay to mask how superficial your in-game actions might be, and how inconsequential most environmental factors really are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlDAuOyj9FM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itE_jq3uZ-U

That said.. I'm still really looking forward to The Division. Rainbow Six: Patriots Siege? Not so much.

News Comments > Dead Island 2 Announced
8. Re: Dead Island 2 Announced Jun 10, 2014, 09:48 Siygess

From a single player perspective, DI was at it's best in the first few hours where the loot system (and the Dead Rising build-a-weapon system) didn't yet feel at odds with the tone of the game. By the middle stretch of the game it was weird talking to people who were deadly serious about how important it was that you find a battery for their radio while I had a dozen poisoned, electrified baseball bats stuffed in my backpack. In co-op I found the fun lasted a lot longer.. perhaps until the final quarter of the game where we all had firearms and they were so monumentally underwhelming and dissatisfying that we had to stick with the comedy melee weapon.

Hopefully they will find a way to address this because in all other aspects (barring performance) I'm up for more of the same

News Comments > Rainbow Six: Siege Announced
13. Re: Rainbow Six: Siege Announced Jun 10, 2014, 05:57 Siygess

It all looks very fancy although with all that hi-tech gear, you gotta wonder why nobody brought an extra riggers belt and a descender. Break into the room, put the belt on the hostage, hook that up to the rope dangling right by the window and push her out. Nobody has to die! Give peace a chance! Simples!

Also this recent trend of "Ubistaging" is both cool and annoying. It demonstrates the kind of atmosphere you can build up if you are playing exclusively with a bunch of friends who all want to take it seriously in an isolated co-op session.. but since most players you are going to encounter - both friends and PvP enemies alike - just want to shoot some dewds and take their lewts and have some lolz.. what they are showing is essentially bullshit.

Somebody should totally parody this in WoW.

"Hey man, careful, there's a fire over there."
"Yeah, I see it, looks hot. Thanks. I'll stay on this side of the room."
"Any sign of our contact?"
"Let me check our intel, cover me."
"Anything? I'm running low on supplies here. Hurry it up!"
"Negative, he's here somewhere but I don't have a 20. We're going to have to press on and check the next room."
"Oh crap, somebody made us! Somebody's coming!"

..then HappyPanda77 runs into the cottage, past the fireplace and into the kitchen to turn in his quest to the NPC and get some new pants.

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2014, 06:02.

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Announced
21. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 11:27 Siygess

Ladron3dfx wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 10:12:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dawn
Homefront, a video game also written by John Milius, is about a North Korean invasion of America.[20] One notable "easter egg" relating to the film is a large billboard at a school sport stadium which reads "Go Wolverines!!!".

Loved watching Red Dawn (1984) back in the day. I think a remake was made but I haven't seen it.

oh shi... Same director of Red Dawn wrote Homefront.

Actually the trailer for the game is pretty much a scene straight out of the Red Dawn remake. It wasn't great, but neither was it terrible. I suspect we will be able to say the same about Homefront: The Revolution.

News Comments > The Division Delayed
18. Re: The Division Delayed May 16, 2014, 04:30 Siygess

jdreyer wrote on May 16, 2014, 04:14:
Siygess wrote on May 16, 2014, 04:04:
It's basically Defiance (prior to the recent DLC) but with a level of gun pron you'd expect from a Clancy game, and the aliens swapped out for "terrorists". Oh and a companion app that will allow brow-beaten boyfriends and husbands to play alongside their buddies from the comfort of a couch while pretending to watch XFacotrsGotTalentOnIce.

Isn't there also an infection of some kind, so.... ZOMBIES!

Yeah but it's just the boring, regular kind that kills people. Mind you, maybe the delay is so they can change the nature of bioweapon and ADD zombies

News Comments > The Division Delayed
16. Re: The Division Delayed May 16, 2014, 04:04 Siygess

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 16, 2014, 02:09:
So what is the game actualy going to be? Are they saying open world like Watch Dogs? Is it just a different WD? Why the delay?

Welcome to an online, open-world RPG experience where exploration and player-progression are essential. Use your skills, weapons and wits in combat. Play in a persistent and dynamic environment that combines the Tom Clancy™ series’ core authenticity and tactical decisions, RPG action, trading and much more.

ok....but WHAT IS IT!? They tout the social aspect, but really push consoles and tablets....that worries me. Just has WD worries me.....console lead platform......all the videos who the team testing with a controller.....

It's basically Defiance (prior to the recent DLC) but with a level of gun pron you'd expect from a Clancy game, and the aliens swapped out for "terrorists". Oh and a companion app that will allow brow-beaten boyfriends and husbands to play alongside their buddies from the comfort of a couch while pretending to watch XFacotrsGotTalentOnIce.

I'll be honest, they had me at Clancy but as long as the E3 gameplay trailer from last year isn't just some BS roleplay to make the environments seem more meaningful than they really are.. then maybe my interest will be justified for once.

News Comments > Blizzard TMs Overwatch
3. Re: Blizzard TMs Overwatch Apr 9, 2014, 10:50 Siygess

Wait, does that mean Insomniacs trademark of Overwatch expired, perhaps when Overwatch became Fuse?  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land Mar 10, 2014, 10:10 Siygess

This was a fun little mobile game that was (IMHO) well worth the asking price. I'm not sure if a PC release of this is going to hold up very well, though.  

News Comments > Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded
17. Re: Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded Feb 21, 2014, 17:04 Siygess

Cutter wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 13:29:
What's wrong with hating Twitter? People should hate it.

And if you want to talk about KS clusterfucks just look at Shadowrun Online. Not only over a year late already they haven't even got a working game yet. And they knowingly couldn't make the game for 500k and had to go out and secure private funding - which they did no disclose at the time - so that's wire fraud right there. Surprised no one has sic'd the feds on them yet.

Yeah, crowdfunding is over.

Urgh, don't remind me. Maybe there were some obvious signs that I missed during the KS itself but the alarm bells started to ring for me once they said about delaying so they wouldn't release alongside SR.. and then they had nothing to show for it. The funding basically paid for a few salaries, a new office and a years worth of rent so they could sit around and play Minecraft all day.

Then they brought out AERENA as a stop gap to use some of the code they had laying around and bring in some pizza money.. and I realised I had been here before. CME and Stargate Worlds / Stargate Resistance. Shiiiiiiiiit

News Comments > Resident Evil 4 HD Next Month
9. Re: Resident Evil 4 HD Next Month Jan 21, 2014, 12:41 Siygess

Jerykk wrote on Jan 21, 2014, 12:22:
Does it have mouse support this time?

My thoughts exactly. Screw enhanced visuals. If there is anything positive for Capcom to take away from 5 and 6, it's how to implement mouse control. Even with that flaky mouse patch, I couldn't force myself to play more than an hour of RE4 and as yet, it is the only Resident Evil game (on the PC) that I have neither enjoyed nor finished.

News Comments > Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed
11. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 17, 2013, 13:19 Siygess

So the space combat sections of Battlefront 2 with the World of Planes sales pitch? I may be a sucker for Star Wars games but even this leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Must be the poop.

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay
46. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay Dec 17, 2013, 12:49 Siygess

Hmmm. A detailed reason or a waffling excuse? Only time will tell..  

News Comments > Resident Evil 7 Outed?
7. Re: Resident Evil 7 Outed? Oct 13, 2013, 17:11 Siygess

Not unexpected but good news IMHO. RE6 had some issues but not so much that I couldn't enjoy it.. as I have enjoyed every title barring 4. As long as they dial back the QTEs, pace the cut scenes better and test those damned boss fight / chase scene camera angles, I'll be happy.

I'd like the weapon upgrade system from Resi 5 to come back though. I found it much more satisfying to be able to fully upgrade one or two weapons to comically unrealistic specs through the course of one play through.. than having to wait for my second run before I unlock something cool.

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 12:24 Siygess

The only question here is why opinion and hearsay is allowed to be presented as fact.

No, wait, I already know the answer to this one. An unspun truth sells no papers.

News Comments > The Evil Within TGS Trailer
12. Re: The Evil Within TGS Trailer Sep 17, 2013, 16:40 Siygess

I remember when the compilation of HD remakes started to hit the consoles.. Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid and so on. I was really hoping some of them would make it to the PC because the Silent Hill games are a sod to get hold of and I didn't play my first one until The Room.

That said, I'm a sucker for the Resident Evil games and I have enjoyed all of the titles that were released on the PC, even ORC

Even though this looks like the RE4 engine, I will be sure to pick this up next year.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 13:49 Siygess

Honestly Mr Tact it just isn't worth it.

Heh, somebody wrote a comic strip. Some people took offense. Bad decisions were made. War were declared.

If you like PA, best thing to do is ignore that this ever happened and carry on enjoying PA. If you don't care for PA, you'll do your blood pressure a favour by passing on this.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 13:46 Siygess

Cutter wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 13:40:
Well, thanks for letting us know you're pro-rape and pro-asshole. On ignore you go.

Heh, as opposed to being pro-physical-assault-is-totally-an-acceptable-solution?

When you have the time and energy to string more than a few lines together Cutter you write some really interesting and insightful stuff. But when it comes to snippy one liners, you come across as someone who is more interested in being part of the problem.

You're better than this, man.

I think.

40 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo