Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Siygess

Real Name Siygess   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 6, 2010, 14:42
Total Comments 31 (Suspect)
User ID 55818

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Blizzard TMs Overwatch
3. Re: Blizzard TMs Overwatch Apr 9, 2014, 10:50 Siygess

Wait, does that mean Insomniacs trademark of Overwatch expired, perhaps when Overwatch became Fuse?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land Mar 10, 2014, 10:10 Siygess

This was a fun little mobile game that was (IMHO) well worth the asking price. I'm not sure if a PC release of this is going to hold up very well, though.  

News Comments > Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded
17. Re: Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded Feb 21, 2014, 17:04 Siygess

Cutter wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 13:29:
What's wrong with hating Twitter? People should hate it.

And if you want to talk about KS clusterfucks just look at Shadowrun Online. Not only over a year late already they haven't even got a working game yet. And they knowingly couldn't make the game for 500k and had to go out and secure private funding - which they did no disclose at the time - so that's wire fraud right there. Surprised no one has sic'd the feds on them yet.

Yeah, crowdfunding is over.

Urgh, don't remind me. Maybe there were some obvious signs that I missed during the KS itself but the alarm bells started to ring for me once they said about delaying so they wouldn't release alongside SR.. and then they had nothing to show for it. The funding basically paid for a few salaries, a new office and a years worth of rent so they could sit around and play Minecraft all day.

Then they brought out AERENA as a stop gap to use some of the code they had laying around and bring in some pizza money.. and I realised I had been here before. CME and Stargate Worlds / Stargate Resistance. Shiiiiiiiiit

News Comments > Resident Evil 4 HD Next Month
9. Re: Resident Evil 4 HD Next Month Jan 21, 2014, 12:41 Siygess

Jerykk wrote on Jan 21, 2014, 12:22:
Does it have mouse support this time?

My thoughts exactly. Screw enhanced visuals. If there is anything positive for Capcom to take away from 5 and 6, it's how to implement mouse control. Even with that flaky mouse patch, I couldn't force myself to play more than an hour of RE4 and as yet, it is the only Resident Evil game (on the PC) that I have neither enjoyed nor finished.

News Comments > Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed
11. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 17, 2013, 13:19 Siygess

So the space combat sections of Battlefront 2 with the World of Planes sales pitch? I may be a sucker for Star Wars games but even this leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Must be the poop.

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay
46. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay Dec 17, 2013, 12:49 Siygess

Hmmm. A detailed reason or a waffling excuse? Only time will tell..  

News Comments > Resident Evil 7 Outed?
7. Re: Resident Evil 7 Outed? Oct 13, 2013, 17:11 Siygess

Not unexpected but good news IMHO. RE6 had some issues but not so much that I couldn't enjoy it.. as I have enjoyed every title barring 4. As long as they dial back the QTEs, pace the cut scenes better and test those damned boss fight / chase scene camera angles, I'll be happy.

I'd like the weapon upgrade system from Resi 5 to come back though. I found it much more satisfying to be able to fully upgrade one or two weapons to comically unrealistic specs through the course of one play through.. than having to wait for my second run before I unlock something cool.

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 12:24 Siygess

The only question here is why opinion and hearsay is allowed to be presented as fact.

No, wait, I already know the answer to this one. An unspun truth sells no papers.

News Comments > The Evil Within TGS Trailer
12. Re: The Evil Within TGS Trailer Sep 17, 2013, 16:40 Siygess

I remember when the compilation of HD remakes started to hit the consoles.. Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid and so on. I was really hoping some of them would make it to the PC because the Silent Hill games are a sod to get hold of and I didn't play my first one until The Room.

That said, I'm a sucker for the Resident Evil games and I have enjoyed all of the titles that were released on the PC, even ORC

Even though this looks like the RE4 engine, I will be sure to pick this up next year.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 13:49 Siygess

Honestly Mr Tact it just isn't worth it.

Heh, somebody wrote a comic strip. Some people took offense. Bad decisions were made. War were declared.

If you like PA, best thing to do is ignore that this ever happened and carry on enjoying PA. If you don't care for PA, you'll do your blood pressure a favour by passing on this.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 13:46 Siygess

Cutter wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 13:40:
Well, thanks for letting us know you're pro-rape and pro-asshole. On ignore you go.

Heh, as opposed to being pro-physical-assault-is-totally-an-acceptable-solution?

When you have the time and energy to string more than a few lines together Cutter you write some really interesting and insightful stuff. But when it comes to snippy one liners, you come across as someone who is more interested in being part of the problem.

You're better than this, man.

I think.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 13:27 Siygess

Verno wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 11:46:
You know you're on the wrong side of something when your supporters are sending rape and death threats to people and form a TeamRape twitter handle.

Very true.

Only, you know the other side were doing exactly the same thing, right? They may not have done it under such an insensitive twitter handle but one of the things that prompted an initial apology from Mike were the flood of violent threats against him and his family.

I think there are probably half a dozen people with a valid opinion and something meaningful to say on both sides and I'm sure those discussions have taken place behind closed doors. Everybody else - on both sides - is on some kind of bandwagon, spoiling for a reason to fight somebody they didn't like in the first place. That's the sad truth here, though, isn't it? The internet is full of immature, insensitive asshats who would behave in a morally reprehensible way in a second if it would get them +1 like, and think nothing of issuing such threats because it's only the internet.

But I do agree that they shouldn't have brought it up again. There are some insights that just don't need to be shared in public.

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Sep 4, 2013, 10:27 Siygess

What can I say, the freedom of expression I try to support can sometimes make a place warm and toasty and there are few places warmer and toastier than the Blues News comments page. If I am to ignore Khoo's mantra of "Do Not Engage" them I am going to do it super selectively  

News Comments > Op Ed
30. Re: Op Ed Sep 4, 2013, 10:15 Siygess

Oh lord not this thing again.

I respect an artist's freedom to do or say what he or she wants as long as the created work is legal. I may not agree with the message or how it is delivered, but I believe the artist still has a right to express that message. In this case, the message was "Look at the massive gulf between the terrible things you are choosing to ignore in the game versus the meta this game is encouraging you to play."

I got it. I played MMOs. Every time I ignored a virtual mugging in City of Heroes, that victim probably got knifed and left in the gutter to die. In the real world, that's horrible. In the game world, that's the mechanics of the game. So I found that particular strip funny because it was true. Ha ha! I moved on.

The problem of course is that any message can be wilfully aligned in such a way as to seem contrary to a particular cause and when a vocal groups with a legitimate cause to champion decides to do that, they are quite used to badgering an organisation with emails, articles and blog posts from (usually) well educated and comfortably literate individuals and achieving a quick victory they can parade in public that boosts their own egos and page hits as much as - if not more than - it helps draw attention to a real-world problem - and they just didn't get that from Penny Arcade. They got the opposite in fact because telling Mike what he can't do or say is bound to set him off and the harder someone pushes, the harder he pushes back, hence the whole "Do Not Engage" thing he has on his desk. While I encourage Mike's freedom to do that strip and acknowledge his right to defend himself against the kind of hate the vocal group likes to claim is the exclusive purview of PA supporters, the shirt was an ill-conceived swipe at the people who believed they could tell PA what to do (and not, as they like to claim, at Rape Victims) simply because it became a point they would later be able to cede to the partial satisfaction of the anti-Dickwolves crowd.

So I agree that removing the Dickwolves merch was a mistake because it set a precedent for pressuring Penny Arcade into appeasing any vocal group with an axe to grind. That was never their style, even if it had to become a consideration after a thriving business formed around the duo. But while making a business decision to never cave in like that again is one thing, publicly announcing it at PAX was unnecessary unless there was some swelling anti-PA sentiment I'm not aware of that they felt was being left unchecked.

The real loser in this, I'm sure, is Khoo. People like Elizabeth will not be able to pass up such a juicy target of opportunity and as we are seeing now, they are starting to wind up their writing arms to whip up support for a real problem, seemingly oblivious to the harm they are doing to their own message in the process. And despite the fact that "rape" was never part of the message from PA in the first place and what was said at PAX was a commentary on how the decisions they made affected their own credibility, Mike sure as hell isn't going to back down from anything that comes his way and ultimately Khoo is going to have to manage this somehow.

Oh, and rape victims. When they've been through something like that AND they've got people like this 'representing' them on the public stage, that's a lose/lose any way you look at it.

Edit: Removed a word. Added a word. Editing is hard!

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2013, 10:21.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hangar Module Released
48. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 18:15 Siygess

Parias wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 17:56:
The Freelancer is looking pretty awesome too:
http://i.imgur.com/JxOwhES.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/n8uaug2.jpg

I couldn't quite convince myself to get a Connie but I'm so glad I sprung for a Space Bus. Because that's one sexy Space Bus

News Comments > Star Citizen Hangar Module Released
26. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 14:22 Siygess

Hah, that's nothing compared to an Idris on the Oh-hell-I-spent-HOW-much-on-a-virtual-item?-o-meter (which is totally a thing).

As for the single player, I anticipate it playing a lot like Freelancer, with more story content on the military side and less on every other side.. since you can run your own server and be the only player if you want to. So all the trading, exploring etc of the X games will be available to you, but the missions you will be able to pick up will most likely have the depth and presentation of, say, a Frontier mission.

News Comments > Marvel Heroes Launches
39. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 4, 2013, 17:53 Siygess

Redmask wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 17:34:
You can't really divorce the business model from the game since it's not a one and done. What keeps ARPGs interesting is variety, I don't want to be stuck with 2-3 heroes, I want to try them all and decide which one I like best.

Fair point and you will probably find that without the loot-based visual customisation and the lack of a diverse skill tree for each character, the experience will seem somewhat shallow. But since most ARPGs only offer ~4 characters anyway, it would be a stretch to have access to so many characters even at a retail price of $50. So 2-3 characters over your entire playtime without spending anything? IMHO that's not so bad.

Of course, it's their job to make you want more. I will be interested to see if you think it's worth it after a few hours of play.

News Comments > Marvel Heroes Launches
35. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 4, 2013, 17:34 Siygess

Eh, there's no doubting that 'free' in this case means 'at least $10 to play as your favourite hero' and since it's Marvel, there are going to be a crap ton of people willing to do that and then some. But as a gamer, all I really care about is: Am I having fun playing this game?

More than I did with D3, not as much as Torchlight 2. For what I've put in to it, this game has already exceeded my (low!) expectations. By no means would I call this game garbage. Superficial, yes, but if you happen to like isometric click fests then there is fun to be had here.. for a while, at least.

News Comments > Resident Evil 6 PC Specs
10. Re: Resident Evil 6 PC Specs Apr 3, 2013, 15:09 Siygess

First, the characters have changed in such a dramatic fashion that it's hard to believe they are ever in danger. They're jacked up on the juice and they would probably find a way to destroy an army of zombies with a butter knife whereas in the first couple of titles they were often shitting their pants. One could say they have become 'desensitized' to the horrors they have seen but I think they took a few too many pointers from Rambo.

Well, you totally have a good point there. On the character development front things quickly progressed from "Oh crap, Zombies!" through "Oh man, not Zombies again" and then on to "Weeeesssskeeeerrr!" (while charging through a mountain of Zombies). But I guess you can only take the harrowed Zombie survivor thing so far so Capcom went the other way with it. Yes, it's totally ridiculous now but for me that's still part of the charm.

Especially in co-op, which I confess I enjoy as much as I enjoyed the SP in Resi 1 -3

News Comments > Resident Evil 6 PC Specs
5. Re: Resident Evil 6 PC Specs Apr 3, 2013, 10:59 Siygess

Eh, they were never proper horror. All Resident Evil 1 had in common with horror was creepy music, the occasional jump scare and laughable dialog. It was endearing, sure, but it wasn't really horror.

Somewhere along the line Capcom decided to trade the bad camera angles for a third person camera, the creepy music for Explosions!!1! and kept the jump scares (and always to some degree, the bad controls). It's still the same sort of game in the same sort of universe with the same sort of atmosphere and the same sort of problems. It just gets harder to love it with each iteration

31 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo