Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Siygess

Real Name Siygess   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 6, 2010, 14:42
Total Comments 49 (Suspect)
User ID 55818

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Clandestine Early Access
1. Re: Clandestine Early Access Oct 30, 2014, 19:41 Siygess

I'm getting a real Alias / Dark Angel vibe from this co-op pitch and I think it could be freaking awesome.. even if the graphics are from the 90's too  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
3. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 13, 2014, 03:51 Siygess

On the one hand, it's good to see that they have at least referenced the source material in terms of Walker's back story and some of the villains you get to see in the trailer.. but on the other hand I'm not sure they went the right direction with the two main characters, both in terms of appearance and personality. Considering how long this has languished in development hell I guess I shouldn't be too surprised  

News Comments > Resident Evil REmake Trailer
7. Re: Resident Evil REmake Trailer Oct 11, 2014, 18:47 Siygess

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 11, 2014, 15:59:
It's the classic titles which I prefer ten fold over everything after Code Veronica. I enjoyed moving like a tank, the pre-rendered back grounds (although CV did not use this method), stiff cameras, loading doors, and Umbrella as the big bad corporation. 4, 5, and 6 sucked the life out of the series by turning it in to a mindless action series with atrocious over-the-top stories, QTEs, and locations but at least 6 had its moments in the early Leon campaign when you were street level in Washington.

Everyone turned in to Billy Biceps and there are ammunition gnomes who seem to drop a case of bullets far too often to ever feel a sense of dread for your survival.

I never played ORC because of its poor reception but I am willing to bet that I would find more enjoyment in that than I did in the last three entries to the series since it's somewhat of a throwback to the first three entries. Zero was bad because it was mired with a shitty character that was Billy and the swap system in spite of location nostalgia. I still haven't played Revelations though, mostly because I think the series has just gone too far out of it's roots to enjoy it anymore.

I don't know, I think you ought to give Revelations a shot, especially if you can pick it up on sale. It definitely feels like they are trying to capture the feel of the early games (hey it even has those opening door animations) and people who despised 6 found Revelations more palatable. It still has a wacky story but at least the main characters aren't throwing around suplexes all the time (hint: I find it hilarious) so you might enjoy it.

As for ORC the one thing it has going for it is the chance to explore Racoon City in a way you couldn't in 2 or 3, including some of the more important locations from those games. It's pretty glitchy and the combat feels decidedly underpowered but I'm enough of a fan that it was worth the price of admission just to follow Hunk around for a while. YMMV.

News Comments > Resident Evil REmake Trailer
5. Re: Resident Evil REmake Trailer Oct 11, 2014, 15:22 Siygess

As someone who has enjoyed every Resident Evil game on the PC - even ORC (well, I didn't hate it) - I'm really looking forward to playing this. But more than that, I am curious to see how the game holds up when compared to 5, 6 and Revelations. You always hear people saying how the series is terrible now and nothing like the original but I wonder how long ago it was for those people? A good experience, fondly remembered is still not the same as a good game.

I'm fortunate enough to still have my CDs for the first three games and I can still appreciate them for what they are.. but as an evolving series, I've found the recent tiles more entertaining. Ridiculous? Hell yeah, but who cares. It's like a zombie-pocalypse soap opera now and I pick up the new titles just to see what batshit crazy thing Capcom are doing to Leon and co this week.

Come next year, we'll all be able to fire up the remastered Resident Evil whenever the QTEs and 15 minute cutscenes get too much.. and it will be interesting to see which experience people will prefer.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M
40. Re: Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M Sep 24, 2014, 16:20 Siygess

Damnned game crashes regularly for me, with the screen freezing yet the game continues to run until I Alt + Tab back to Windows at which point it bombs out. I'll stick with it, though, because I'm enjoying W2 in spite of the Unity engine  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 2, 2014, 10:23 Siygess

Does anyone know if the original video of the guy getting arrested during his game was also a fake? I think I saw the link to it here on Blues a few days ago.  

News Comments > Resident Evil Revelations 2 Announced
1. Re: Resident Evil Revelations 2 Announced Sep 1, 2014, 12:48 Siygess

Good stuff. Having played every RE title available on the PC, I actually found RE:Revelations a less enjoyable experience than RE:6.. but only by a little.. so more Resident Evil is always good in my books.  

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs
28. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs Aug 12, 2014, 14:34 Siygess

ASeven wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 14:06:
Microsoft commitment to PC gaming never ceases to amaze me.

Hmm, good point, isn't it about time we get another "We are fully committed to the PC as a gaming platform." statement from Microsoft? It seems like we haven't had one in at least six months.

News Comments > Hollowpoint Announced
3. Re: Hollowpoint Announced Aug 12, 2014, 14:28 Siygess

Presumably Thomas Ian Griffith and Tia Carrere will be DLC.  

News Comments > Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed
24. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 23, 2014, 05:34 Siygess

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 02:40:
<stuff that is generally true>

While I somewhat agree, I also think that the existing methods of showing the story in a game are also incredibly limited.. or rather they are usually implemented in a heavy-handed manner. In addition to the dialogue-heavy exposition, you also have:

1) In-engine scripted sequence (player still has agency) ala Call of Duty.

The limitations of the game engine often rear their head (player tries to interact with an entity participating in the sequence, to no effect). Also, since the player still has control, it's really easy to miss stuff like this because you were facing the wrong direction or busy poking around in your inventory, looking for cake.

2) In-engine scripted sequence (player has no agency) ala most games, ever.

By taking away control from the player and forcing them to Watch The Damned Story, you are addressing most of the issues with example 1, but the trade off is that you are frustrating the user by taking away their control and breaking their immersion.

3) The cut-scene!

Pre-rendered cut scenes can offer the most movie-like experience when it comes to relating the story but the results are often lackluster (visually) and there is usually a disconnect between what your understanding of the game world and what you see on the screen (I wasn't standing over there. I wasn't wearing that armour. Why can my gun suddenly kill a dude with one shot?) They can also go on for a really long time..

4) Quick-time events, ala Our Friend, the Console Port.

On the plus side, they allow a sequence of events that are normally not possible via the existing game interface and while they don't often impact the story telling (other than.. by preventing you from seeing more of it because you failed) they can be used progress the story in a cinematic way while adding a dash of exposition e.g.

The ship is sinking because, as part of the QTE, you pushed the captain away from the wheel of the ship, tore off the wheel and used it as a projectile weapon to defeat the monster.

Now we understand why the captain is mad and why the ship is out of control in the next scene.

5) Lore!

When pages of dialog just isn't enough, shove all your words in a virtual book that the player can chose to ignore! Now the player can be the kind of well-adjusted sociopath who only interacts with other people via his fist AND likes to read a good book now and then..

Now, all six groups have their detractors but I really don't think that any one of them is inherently bad (not even QTEs!), it just depends on the implementation and frequency within a particular genre of game. In an action RPG like Diablo, I'm fine with a combination of 3 and 5. In a first person shooter I'm fine with 1 - 3. With a third-person action title I'm happy with 2 - 4 and in an RPG? My preference is certainly 2, 5 and the interactive dialogue Bioware is so fond of

News Comments > Alien Isolation Preorder Bonus Features Film Cast
16. Re: Alien Isolation Preorder Bonus Features Film Cast Jul 10, 2014, 04:32 Siygess

The edition with both pieces of DLC is also available at Game here in the UK under the guise of the "Ripley Edition".. for the princely sum of £38 for the PC edition.  

News Comments > Dead Island 2 Announced
25. Re: Dead Island 2 Announced Jun 11, 2014, 15:33 Siygess

Hmm, isn't that Jack Black providing the voice for the survivor at the end of the trailer?  

News Comments > Rainbow Six: Siege Announced
21. Re: Rainbow Six: Siege Announced Jun 10, 2014, 17:55 Siygess

Beamer wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 13:14:
Is that a term, "Ubistaging?" Does Ubi often do this?

I may have just made that up, but it totally should be. Check out the gameplay trailers for "The Division" from E3 2013 and 2014 and you'll see exactly the same thing - the application of a little roleplay to mask how superficial your in-game actions might be, and how inconsequential most environmental factors really are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlDAuOyj9FM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itE_jq3uZ-U

That said.. I'm still really looking forward to The Division. Rainbow Six: Patriots Siege? Not so much.

News Comments > Dead Island 2 Announced
8. Re: Dead Island 2 Announced Jun 10, 2014, 09:48 Siygess

From a single player perspective, DI was at it's best in the first few hours where the loot system (and the Dead Rising build-a-weapon system) didn't yet feel at odds with the tone of the game. By the middle stretch of the game it was weird talking to people who were deadly serious about how important it was that you find a battery for their radio while I had a dozen poisoned, electrified baseball bats stuffed in my backpack. In co-op I found the fun lasted a lot longer.. perhaps until the final quarter of the game where we all had firearms and they were so monumentally underwhelming and dissatisfying that we had to stick with the comedy melee weapon.

Hopefully they will find a way to address this because in all other aspects (barring performance) I'm up for more of the same

News Comments > Rainbow Six: Siege Announced
13. Re: Rainbow Six: Siege Announced Jun 10, 2014, 05:57 Siygess

It all looks very fancy although with all that hi-tech gear, you gotta wonder why nobody brought an extra riggers belt and a descender. Break into the room, put the belt on the hostage, hook that up to the rope dangling right by the window and push her out. Nobody has to die! Give peace a chance! Simples!

Also this recent trend of "Ubistaging" is both cool and annoying. It demonstrates the kind of atmosphere you can build up if you are playing exclusively with a bunch of friends who all want to take it seriously in an isolated co-op session.. but since most players you are going to encounter - both friends and PvP enemies alike - just want to shoot some dewds and take their lewts and have some lolz.. what they are showing is essentially bullshit.

Somebody should totally parody this in WoW.

"Hey man, careful, there's a fire over there."
"Yeah, I see it, looks hot. Thanks. I'll stay on this side of the room."
"Any sign of our contact?"
"Let me check our intel, cover me."
"Anything? I'm running low on supplies here. Hurry it up!"
"Negative, he's here somewhere but I don't have a 20. We're going to have to press on and check the next room."
"Oh crap, somebody made us! Somebody's coming!"

..then HappyPanda77 runs into the cottage, past the fireplace and into the kitchen to turn in his quest to the NPC and get some new pants.

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2014, 06:02.

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Announced
21. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 11:27 Siygess

Ladron3dfx wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 10:12:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dawn
Homefront, a video game also written by John Milius, is about a North Korean invasion of America.[20] One notable "easter egg" relating to the film is a large billboard at a school sport stadium which reads "Go Wolverines!!!".

Loved watching Red Dawn (1984) back in the day. I think a remake was made but I haven't seen it.

oh shi... Same director of Red Dawn wrote Homefront.

Actually the trailer for the game is pretty much a scene straight out of the Red Dawn remake. It wasn't great, but neither was it terrible. I suspect we will be able to say the same about Homefront: The Revolution.

News Comments > The Division Delayed
18. Re: The Division Delayed May 16, 2014, 04:30 Siygess

jdreyer wrote on May 16, 2014, 04:14:
Siygess wrote on May 16, 2014, 04:04:
It's basically Defiance (prior to the recent DLC) but with a level of gun pron you'd expect from a Clancy game, and the aliens swapped out for "terrorists". Oh and a companion app that will allow brow-beaten boyfriends and husbands to play alongside their buddies from the comfort of a couch while pretending to watch XFacotrsGotTalentOnIce.

Isn't there also an infection of some kind, so.... ZOMBIES!

Yeah but it's just the boring, regular kind that kills people. Mind you, maybe the delay is so they can change the nature of bioweapon and ADD zombies

News Comments > The Division Delayed
16. Re: The Division Delayed May 16, 2014, 04:04 Siygess

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 16, 2014, 02:09:
So what is the game actualy going to be? Are they saying open world like Watch Dogs? Is it just a different WD? Why the delay?

Welcome to an online, open-world RPG experience where exploration and player-progression are essential. Use your skills, weapons and wits in combat. Play in a persistent and dynamic environment that combines the Tom Clancy™ series’ core authenticity and tactical decisions, RPG action, trading and much more.

ok....but WHAT IS IT!? They tout the social aspect, but really push consoles and tablets....that worries me. Just has WD worries me.....console lead platform......all the videos who the team testing with a controller.....

It's basically Defiance (prior to the recent DLC) but with a level of gun pron you'd expect from a Clancy game, and the aliens swapped out for "terrorists". Oh and a companion app that will allow brow-beaten boyfriends and husbands to play alongside their buddies from the comfort of a couch while pretending to watch XFacotrsGotTalentOnIce.

I'll be honest, they had me at Clancy but as long as the E3 gameplay trailer from last year isn't just some BS roleplay to make the environments seem more meaningful than they really are.. then maybe my interest will be justified for once.

News Comments > Blizzard TMs Overwatch
3. Re: Blizzard TMs Overwatch Apr 9, 2014, 10:50 Siygess

Wait, does that mean Insomniacs trademark of Overwatch expired, perhaps when Overwatch became Fuse?  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land Mar 10, 2014, 10:10 Siygess

This was a fun little mobile game that was (IMHO) well worth the asking price. I'm not sure if a PC release of this is going to hold up very well, though.  

49 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo