Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Nashville, TN 02/27

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 866 (Graduate)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
322. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 24, 2014, 14:29 yuastnav

I'm still confused when it comes to class and rating.
Why or how are my 178,898 Cr 4C shields worse than the 507,912 Cr 3A shields sold at the station?

Anyway, sitting here in Rominger Dock, enjoying my Christmas wine.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GSC Making Cossacks 3
2. Re: GSC Making Cossacks 3 Dec 23, 2014, 18:56 yuastnav

I hope Cossacks 3 will be more like Cossacks. Cossacks 2 was disappointing.

I actually thought that a new Stalker games was coming so I'm confused but... oh well.

310. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 23, 2014, 09:37 yuastnav

Well, I kinda do math for a living at the moment, so... :p

There's always this site: http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/
But yesterday when I tried to use it it didn't work and since it's also updated by players (manually) a lot of the time it's out of date.

When I'm at a station and I know where I'm going next I try to look up what kind of stuff is exported and then look for something which has at least medium supply. I do make a profit most of the time but my Cobra has a capacity of only 36 so my profits per one-way run are around 10K, which is not a lot.
The other way is to look at the galaxy map and see what gets exported where. The problem with that is that it gets outdated and some of the routes vanish completely, probably due to a lack of supply and/or demand.
Probably the best way would be to scour every station in every system in a certain radius and make excel sheets so you could calculate the best routes... but this would be such a monstrous amount of work, even for a few systems, that it's almost not worth it. And since the economy is dynamic (or at least should be but I think it actually is) your spreadsheets would become out of date pretty quickly...

At the moment I'm actually in Alioth, finally got the permit. I'm allied with the Alioth Independents and hopefully I'll be able to become friendly with the Alliance though god knows how long that will take. People on the forums llaim to have done that.
Unfortunately Sorbago is 180 light years away from me so the conflict will completely pass me by.
I'm still curious when the Emperor finally dies and who becomes his new successor. I really cannot imagine that the empire would want to abolish slavery.

308. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 23, 2014, 09:04 yuastnav

So last night I started thinking about how to get some serious money but I still clueless about that.

Assuming I get a Type 6 with upgrades I'll have a cargo hold of 100T. If I'm lucky I can maybe make a profit of 2*500/T per run (there and back again) which means the profit would be 100K for what... 15 minutes?

Doing the Anaconda missions usually takes about half an hour and then they pay you between 130K and 190K so it's comparable.

Still didn't do any mining yet. But even then... you'd want to go for Palladium which is 13K/T. If I mined in my Type 6 and got 100T of Palladium I'd make 1300K but who knows how long that 'll take since Palladium is very rare.

All in all it seems like it would take a very long time to get an Anaconda or half as long to get a Python.

Oh and the Orcas are rubbish, it seems.

300. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 22, 2014, 14:58 yuastnav

I am actually just taking on these high paying bounty mission and killing off Anaconda's one after the other.
Usually it's in a non-anarchy system and I get some help from the local police forces which makes things a lot easier.

Can only recommend once you get a Cobra.

[edit]
I wonder how many elite Anacondas I have to kill to not be a novice anymore.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2014, 15:06.

297. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 22, 2014, 14:02 yuastnav

Flatline wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 13:30:
Vall Forran wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 12:55:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 11:50:
Other npc ships also get aggroed if you steal their kills. They won't fire at you, at least none of them fired at me yet but they become red and they keep on scanning you.
Warp in and out works too to reset
At least they've fixed the dang kill stealing issues that was frustrating. I got a pirate down to 2% hull and the cops finished him off and I got no bounty.
Now it works the other way around. I can nearly kill someone and if the cops finish him off I will still get the bounty.

If you go to an Anarchy system you won't have these issues anymore although everyone can start attacking you at ones.

Ah, this happened to me last night. I went into a USS and warrant scanned two ships, then I noticed they were fighting. One was clean, the other wanted. Both went hostile when I shot the wanted guy the first time. After I killed it, the clean guy just sat there being all red, but not attacking. I let him live and flew away.

Where do you guys go for bounty hunts? The ones I find at nav beacons usually are really pathetic sidewinders that are only worth 1-2k. I was flying to a station to park and got interdicted...that guy was worth $23k. Should I set up an interdictor on my ship?

I started on my way to Sol and stopped at the hana-something system. I was doing okay bounty hunting there but took a side mission at eta-something which was basically 2 clusters of ringed planets 2000 LS outside of the solar area. I grinded for about 45 minutes and started fighting asps, cobras, and other medium-large ships of competent & up. A competent asp pilot seems to be worth around 15k while an elite python netted me the 75k bounty. I do have a KW scanner so that might be making a difference.
[...]

It depends. I saw clean elite pilots get a bounty and when I killed them I received only 100 or 200 credits.
That happened to me several times.

Once I killed 3 ASPs in a row and each gave me about 30K, I think?
Killing an Anaconda only gave 20K.

Also when doing the Anaconda kill mission the bounty of the Anaconda varies from instance to instance, which is weird.

285. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 22, 2014, 06:50 yuastnav

Weirdest thing just happened. So I relocated close to Alioth since I want to get into that system and I took on an Anaconda kill mission.
Worst case scenario happened whereas I had to kill it in an anarchy system.
So I've been making a few passes and basically getting my ass kicked when all of a sudden it stopped shooting.
In the end it just sat in front of me and let me kill it. Weird.

281. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 21, 2014, 15:46 yuastnav

I have no idea where the Power Plant of an Anaconda is.
I killed an elite Anaconda just now to get my 150K from the mission but the power plant was still at something like 30%. So targeting the back or the belly doesn't help... right?
I have a feeling it is more towards the sides or the back. Don't know.

I was only able to kill it because I have "report crimes against me" on and four Allied Forces ships jumped in and helped me.

I do 95% of the damage, mind you, but they are indispensable for my strategy since they draw a lot of fire and drain the power.

Three of the four Allied ships died (one of them crashed into me and almost killed me). The last Viper survived with 65% hull.

If I ever have to kill one in an anarchy system I am going to be SO boned.

272. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 21, 2014, 07:34 yuastnav

Is anyone else going for Alliance?

Did you figure out why they have no ranks? I guess it kinda makes sense...

Anyway, I didn't know there were specific mission to increase the reputation. Will have to look out for those since it doesn't seem like they appear in the unavailable missions section.

[edit]
Two things:

1. Yes, Rail Gun is limited to 30 shots only.

2. The cannon doesn't seem to do much damage to smaller ships. Or maybe it varies A LOT. Because I think sometimes it gets the target down by 30%, sometimes by just 1%. Subsystems seemed unaffected but maybe it is difficult to target them.

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2014, 08:20.

254. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 19, 2014, 19:20 yuastnav

Oh, interesting.

Luckily my Cobra has 4 hardpoints for weapons. Guess I'll just keep my two beam lasers and replace my two pulse lasers (which I don't really need) with something else.

So now I just have to decide whether I'm going to get cannons, missiles or a rail gun. Wish there was a feature like in starfarer whereas you could try out a new load out in a simulation.

250. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 19, 2014, 18:48 yuastnav

Really? I dunno, I'm looking at it right now and while something like the Fragment Cannon and the Missile Rack have Ammo Clip Size and Ammo Maximum the Rail Gun does not.

I am also puzzled about some of the more expensive weapons.
I have a beam laser that cost 37K and when I compare it to a beam laser for 2 million the only difference is that the expensive beam laser is turreted, weighs more, has a higher power draw, is class 2 instead of 1 and does less damage... ?
Has the same DPS, apparently. I feel like I'm not getting the bigger picture here.

248. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 19, 2014, 18:25 yuastnav

Alright Vall, thanks for the tips. I'll consider getting a railgun.

I remember that, during one of the Betas, I fought a Cobra in my Sidewinder. The Cobra had a railgun and after my shields went down it owned me in one shot.

I guess we actually did spend about half an hour fighting that Anaconda. Will have to try missiles and the railgun. Though I'll probably start with some smaller targets before I tackle an Anaconda again.

Do you reckon they will nerf the railgun since it's so powerful?

245. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 19, 2014, 18:06 yuastnav

Vall Forran wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 18:03:
yuastnav wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 17:57:
Killed my first Anaconda.

Jumped out at some USS with a wanted Anaconda, wanted ASP and allied forces ship. Got the Anaconda to around 70% and attacked and finished off the very battered ASP. Sucker didn't see that one coming from a while away.
Started shooting at the Anaconda again and gut it to under 50%
Then the Allied forces ship blew up. Took a deep breath and started slowly backing away from the Anaconda. Keeping it to between 2.8 and 3.2 km away from me, shooting and it and doing jack shit... tried to figure out a new plan.
Then two allied Vipers jumped in and we killed it off.
Strangely enough the Anaconda was still at 3% when it blew up and when I received my bounty of 43K.

I think I watched a video of a guy doing this singleplayer mission with the Anaconda, but... I don't think the Anaconda there had beam lasers which makes a HUGE difference. Although I get the feeling that the sluggish Cobra is not the best way but the only things more manoeuvrable are the Sidewinder and the Eagle. And those won't last long against beam lasers AT ALL.

Blew up an Anaconda and still have no idea how to kill them.
I guess you need several people. Guess I won't be hunting for those in anarchy systems then...

[edit]
Or use rockets. I dunno. Only have lasers. Hmm...

Subsystems, my friend. If a powerplant dies, the ship dies. I think 4 railshots to a powerplant kills anything in the game. Anacondas are ridiculously easy to target and approach.

Soon there will be people complaining that a pirate killed them instantly...this is how that happened.

I actually cycled through the subsystems. I didn't pay any attention to how damaged the power plant was when the Anaconda blew up but while it was still >20% the power plant was at 50%. I tried to target it but it didn't seem to make much difference.

I realise that there are probably blind spots but I haven't found them yet and I think my keyboard+mouse setup shows its limitations now because it's difficult to strafe into different directions and turn at the same time. Sometimes the keyboard doesn't even accept that many key inputs, haha...

243. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 19, 2014, 17:57 yuastnav

Killed my first Anaconda.

Jumped out at some USS with a wanted Anaconda, wanted ASP and allied forces ship. Got the Anaconda to around 70% and attacked and finished off the very battered ASP. Sucker didn't see that one coming from a while away.
Started shooting at the Anaconda again and gut it to under 50%
Then the Allied forces ship blew up. Took a deep breath and started slowly backing away from the Anaconda. Keeping it to between 2.8 and 3.2 km away from me, shooting and it and doing jack shit... tried to figure out a new plan.
Then two allied Vipers jumped in and we killed it off.
Strangely enough the Anaconda was still at 3% when it blew up and when I received my bounty of 43K.

I think I watched a video of a guy doing this singleplayer mission with the Anaconda, but... I don't think the Anaconda there had beam lasers which makes a HUGE difference. Although I get the feeling that the sluggish Cobra is not the best way but the only things more manoeuvrable are the Sidewinder and the Eagle. And those won't last long against beam lasers AT ALL.

Blew up an Anaconda and still have no idea how to kill them.
I guess you need several people. Guess I won't be hunting for those in anarchy systems then...

[edit]
Or use rockets. I dunno. Only have lasers. Hmm...

238. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 19, 2014, 16:17 yuastnav

I didn't really find the Anaconda mission in singleplayer. Do you have to do the others before you can do this one?  

232. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 19, 2014, 15:04 yuastnav

Vall Forran wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 13:31:
yuastnav wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 10:41:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 09:59:
I think I will get a hauler and set it up for mining. Mining with the Cobra just seems so wrong lol
I wanted to get a hauler to run transport missions anyways to take a bit of a brake from the combat.

Well, the Cobra is an all purpose ship.
I think the biggest advantage is the larger cargo hold although I'm a bit upset because I haven't found a single station that sells cargo racks larger than 4. That means I cannot upgrade the slots in my Cobra to get more cargo space and the default 18 still seems to be very little.

Maybe I'll bounty hunt until I get a million credits to get that Type 6 after all...

The general consensus on the Elite forums is that the hauler is a TERRIBLE mining ship. I think it's because you can only fit one weapon, so it'd leave you completely defenseless. Also, the hauler is really slow, you'd be racing to scoop rocks before they self-destruct.

I'd go with a cobra for mining and as others were saying all purpose stuff. As for upgrading your cargo bays, stations do sell higher capacity versions. I think I finally found mine in an industrial station, the high tech ones don't always seem to carry them.

The type 6 is pretty sweet, but it's obviously only for trading. I'd recommend everyone buying a cobra and at least storing it somewhere.

I agree, the Cobra is a keeper.
Even if I get an Anaconda some day I'll still wanna have my upgraded Cobra safely stored somewhere, though upgrading that thing is really expensive.

Just need to find a "home" system somewhere. As I said, I get the feeling that Alliance systems aren't that easy to find.

226. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 19, 2014, 10:41 yuastnav

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 09:59:
I think I will get a hauler and set it up for mining. Mining with the Cobra just seems so wrong lol
I wanted to get a hauler to run transport missions anyways to take a bit of a brake from the combat.

Well, the Cobra is an all purpose ship.
I think the biggest advantage is the larger cargo hold although I'm a bit upset because I haven't found a single station that sells cargo racks larger than 4. That means I cannot upgrade the slots in my Cobra to get more cargo space and the default 18 still seems to be very little.

Maybe I'll bounty hunt until I get a million credits to get that Type 6 after all...

224. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 19, 2014, 09:48 yuastnav

So anyone tried mining?

I'm playing with the idea of getting a hauler and mounting some mining lasers on it... or maybe just getting a refinery for my Cobra and replacing the pulse lasers with mining lasers (since I have beam lasers, or whatever they're called, anyway) and see how much money I can make with that.
Just wondered whether people here already tried to get rich off it.

News Comments > Game Reviews
18. Re: Game Reviews Dec 19, 2014, 08:12 yuastnav

Flatline wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 13:48:
Quboid wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 13:39:
Orogogus wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 12:50:
Quboid wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 11:25:
I spent a while wondering what 'c' on the HUD meant for speed. Just the lower case letter c, like we're supposed to know what that is. Like it's universally known ... universally. Universal. The universal constant, i.e. the speed of light! I'm sure it is explained somewhere but it was nice to actually figure out something actually a little bit sciencey, even if I should have twigged quicker.

They probably assumed everyone knew this. I think I learned it before 8th grade. Like, c in E=mc^2 is the speed of light in a vacuum, right?

Stuff I learned at that age was a millennium ago (well, it was the last millennium, same thing ), I can't remember it all! Hell, I barely remember it AT all. I should have recognised it quicker, the special theory of relativity formula was probably where I first encountered it.

I also got the closer measurements wrong, thinking Mm was Nm (nautical miles), and when I realised that was too small, thinking it was million miles before seeing a label in kilometres which caused me to get a clue. This was mostly because I was somewhat overwhelmed; too busy wondering about stuff like where I'm going and what the difference been normal, super-cruise, hyper-cruise, and cruise (which I had assumed from the control binding page was a 4th mode) to be able to register that the distances I had in mind didn't make sense.

Now that I actually know what units it's using, it's not too complicated. c = 300 Mm/s.

Normally complicated concepts are either polished to simplicity or fighting bad UI design is half the battle. This feels polished while maintaining scientific authenticity, even if (thankfully IMHO) it's not a DCS style simulator.

The people bitching about the time super cruise takes don't really understand how mind-bogglingly huge space is. As I pointed out in the official forum, when you're hauling ass out to one of the 10,000 LS (or in alpha centauri, where it's like 1.8 million light seconds between stars in super cruise) you top out at over 1600 times the speed of light.

Even when you're hauling out to something that's like 1100 LS away you end up going faster usually than 100c. That's an *insane* amount of speed and it really makes you feel the vastness of space when you watch, real time, a tiny pinpoint of light that is a star expand into a gargantuan ball of plasma that you can orbit around.

Also, if you visit the forums, be prepared to hate the word "immersion" after a very short interval. People bitch that the game breaks "immersion" constantly over insanely small things.

If I could ban one gaming related term this year I'd ban "immersion" for 2014.

I actually get the point. Every time I see my speed go beyond c I think about how this violates the axioms of special relativity and that it's impossible and why is spacetime not curving and and and... :p
But it doesn't really matter. You cannot have realistic scales and realistic physics/speeds and, at the same time, go anywhere in a reasonable amount of time.
Something will always be sacrificed.

188. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 18, 2014, 09:26 yuastnav

Yeah, I was actually wondering where I could find some interesting Alliance systems.

The closest one to my spawn point was Huokang but everything seems so empty around it. There's not even a black market in that system!

It was also sad to see my jump range going down from ~14 to 10~ lightyears after I bought that Cobra.

Not quite sure what I'm going to do now. Doing a lot of combat right now. Logged in yesterday for a quick session and got really lucky, got around 90K in bounty for killing 3 or 4 ships (one of them was a 34K ASP). Still can't kill an Anaconda, though. I have no idea how to tackle them.
I fly towards it and attack it but its lasers rip through my shields before I can do any significant damage. When I turn around to let my shields recharge it sends a rocket after me and does a lot of damage. Ended up jumping out and giving up that mission. :/

Maybe I'll try to save up some money for a Type 6 and do some trading. Will probably have to look for a cluster of systems with more Alliance presence and better trading routes.

866 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo