Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 873 (Graduate)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 6, 2015, 17:59 yuastnav

Trashy wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 13:13:
yuastnav wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 11:59:
I have a T530. I got it because I was told that Thinkpads are great for running Linux on them. Basically I wanted a machine that's really robust, that I can carry with me everywhere, and that has good Linux support, a good screen and a good keyboard since I do a lot of programming on it.
I was rather disappointed by the T530 and I guess I'm not alone. I fear that while IBM was still making the hardware they were a lot more Linux friendly than Lenovo is right now.
Also that thing is not really as robust as the earlier models but it was still sad to see that it was more robust than anything else.

I'm curious what they are going to make in the future but I'm not getting my hopes up, especially about them making a "true successor" to the T61.

I'm still really pissed at how they broke the interface for the battery and that it's much more difficult now to use it properly, like setting thresholds etc.

At work I have a 4 year old W510, This has been very good for me through out the years running Linux. I'm not entirely sure what issues you had with the T530, sometimes it's just one thing that can ruin things...

From what I can see is that a lot changed with the x30 series. People didn't have many issues with the x10 and x20; one thing that I mentioned is that you cannot set the thresholds for the battery properly. There is an acpi hack but I think it was just proof of concept and isn't supported anymore.
Another thing was something that is not native to this series but is a problem in general and it's the Nvidia Optimus issue but it's a total mess anyway and I hope that at least Wayland will, at some point, support on the fly switching between two video cards, though the issue still stands that there will be no out of the box kernel support for that. Not unless Nvidia releases the source code and that's not going to happen.
The hard drive is supposed to "lock" when that thing falls but that is not something that is supported at all.

I bought this thing in early 2013 and I guess my disappointment stems from the fact that I had major issues in the beginning, some of which have been resolved but replaced by others.

I had a broken pixel (though it's fixed now) but I guess this is not Linux related.
What WAS Linux related is that the thing randomly froze and that was related to some low power mode which was only recently (back then) implemented in the kernel for the Sandy Bridge architecture. After a week or so I figured out that you had to switch that feature off since I'm using Debian and it took some time before we got the kernel patch for that.
Another thing is, like I mentioned in my last post, that the T530 is just very "soft" and doesn't feel robust at all. It also boggles my mind why there is no Caps Lock indicator and no separate microphone jack. These are some moronic design decisions. But again, these are not Linux problems but issues with the design of the T530 in general.

All in all it was a rather disappointing experience, seeing as this was my first Thinkpad and since I've only heard praise about the series before I bought mine.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 6, 2015, 11:59 yuastnav

NewMaxx wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 10:09:
As far as the Lenovo launch...

I've been involved as a tester for Lenovo's products for about a year now and...well actually I might be under NDA, should probably check up on that, but I'll choose my words carefully. Lenovo is definitely shooting for specific markets and even specific competitors with their new and upcoming line-ups. A lot of their testing and questioning has revolved about mobile devices (portables), all-in-one devices (iMac), and smart devices (smartphones and home appliances). If you've seen their new Yoga commercials then you already know one of their target competitors.

Thought I'd share for those curious on here. Lenovo is a huge PC producer these days and they are breaking into other markets at a steady pace. Their research indicates they might breakout this year and surprise people so don't be afraid to take a chance on at least looking up their products.

P.S. the only Lenovo products I purchased myself are a pair of USB speakers and a wireless mouse

I have a T530. I got it because I was told that Thinkpads are great for running Linux on them. Basically I wanted a machine that's really robust, that I can carry with me everywhere, and that has good Linux support, a good screen and a good keyboard since I do a lot of programming on it.
I was rather disappointed by the T530 and I guess I'm not alone. I fear that while IBM was still making the hardware they were a lot more Linux friendly than Lenovo is right now.
Also that thing is not really as robust as the earlier models but it was still sad to see that it was more robust than anything else.

I'm curious what they are going to make in the future but I'm not getting my hopes up, especially about them making a "true successor" to the T61.

I'm still really pissed at how they broke the interface for the battery and that it's much more difficult now to use it properly, like setting thresholds etc.

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
366. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 31, 2014, 19:44 yuastnav

Are they going to implement crews?

I think most ships are max. for 3 or so people, right?
I think the Anaconda is the only one, that I've seen/know of so far that has a bigger crew. I think it's a few dozen people, right?

Happy new year, Commanders!

361. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 31, 2014, 10:40 yuastnav

Lorcin wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 21:08:
Christmas family invasions seem to have a enforced a break in ED for me. I've switched to replaying fodder from the last few years; Prince of Presia (2nd time), Bioshock Infinite (3rd time) done. Latest Tomb Raider (for the 3rd time) being hit, after that Alice Madness Returns (again only 2nd time) is on the list.

I'm basically holding off because I want some filler in the ship lineup to provide some options (142k Viper > 30m+ dropship is one hell of a gap) and a massive ramp up in terms of AI difficulty.

My biggest problem is if you can fly the viper well there is no common NPC in the game who can kill you, and no player can catch you. There is no current danger and unless you care for ranks the best you can hope to achieve is a slower, better armed more automatic fighter.

Haha yeah, I've been playing Risen 3, Dungeon Crawl, Rollercoaster Tycoon, been watching Avatar, playing guitar... anything but playing Elite Dangerous.
I just cannot figure out how to make money. You guys kinda sold me on the ASP and so that's the ship I am going to save money for, since 175 million for the Anaconda is just too much, but 6 million is still a lot of money.
Especially because you'd also need to get all the good upgrades, which will cost you probably double of what you'd spend for the ASP.
But once I'd get the ASP... I dunno, I'd probably start exploring the far reaches of the universe. Maybe see whether I can get to the other side of the galaxy or something like that.

339. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 26, 2014, 13:41 yuastnav

Congratulations on the promotion.

The ASP is still very far away for me since I haven't played over Christmas (I got busy with Dungeon Crawl and Rollercoaster Tycoon) and the Alliance still refuse to let me in. Well, their loss. >_>

Unfortunately there is not much progress in 78 Ursae Majoris for the Alliance, at the moment.

Though I wonder how big an influence players can have on the standing of the different factions in the systems. From what I can see it is somehow related to the population and people managed to start Civil wars in different systems by supporting on certain faction.
I hope that there are going to be more of these events, like in Sorbago. How involved were the devs in this actually?

333. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 25, 2014, 11:35 yuastnav

Personally I haven't tried the 360 controller yet but it's very playable with mouse and keyboard.
I can kill anything (I've not fought against players yet, though - cannot find any...) alone, except for an elite Anaconda. But most of the time there are security forces that help you out, sort of.

I can only recommend anyone, who has doubts, to try the MKB setup.

327. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 24, 2014, 20:31 yuastnav

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 19:57:
Merry Christmas everyone

Video is private, mate. :p

Still no progress with the Alliance though. It's like they don't want me. Even after I've done dozens and dozens of missions for them.

322. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 24, 2014, 14:29 yuastnav

I'm still confused when it comes to class and rating.
Why or how are my 178,898 Cr 4C shields worse than the 507,912 Cr 3A shields sold at the station?

Anyway, sitting here in Rominger Dock, enjoying my Christmas wine.

Merry Christmas everyone!

News Comments > GSC Making Cossacks 3
2. Re: GSC Making Cossacks 3 Dec 23, 2014, 18:56 yuastnav

I hope Cossacks 3 will be more like Cossacks. Cossacks 2 was disappointing.

I actually thought that a new Stalker games was coming so I'm confused but... oh well.

310. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 23, 2014, 09:37 yuastnav

Well, I kinda do math for a living at the moment, so... :p

There's always this site: http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/
But yesterday when I tried to use it it didn't work and since it's also updated by players (manually) a lot of the time it's out of date.

When I'm at a station and I know where I'm going next I try to look up what kind of stuff is exported and then look for something which has at least medium supply. I do make a profit most of the time but my Cobra has a capacity of only 36 so my profits per one-way run are around 10K, which is not a lot.
The other way is to look at the galaxy map and see what gets exported where. The problem with that is that it gets outdated and some of the routes vanish completely, probably due to a lack of supply and/or demand.
Probably the best way would be to scour every station in every system in a certain radius and make excel sheets so you could calculate the best routes... but this would be such a monstrous amount of work, even for a few systems, that it's almost not worth it. And since the economy is dynamic (or at least should be but I think it actually is) your spreadsheets would become out of date pretty quickly...

At the moment I'm actually in Alioth, finally got the permit. I'm allied with the Alioth Independents and hopefully I'll be able to become friendly with the Alliance though god knows how long that will take. People on the forums llaim to have done that.
Unfortunately Sorbago is 180 light years away from me so the conflict will completely pass me by.
I'm still curious when the Emperor finally dies and who becomes his new successor. I really cannot imagine that the empire would want to abolish slavery.

308. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 23, 2014, 09:04 yuastnav

So last night I started thinking about how to get some serious money but I still clueless about that.

Assuming I get a Type 6 with upgrades I'll have a cargo hold of 100T. If I'm lucky I can maybe make a profit of 2*500/T per run (there and back again) which means the profit would be 100K for what... 15 minutes?

Doing the Anaconda missions usually takes about half an hour and then they pay you between 130K and 190K so it's comparable.

Still didn't do any mining yet. But even then... you'd want to go for Palladium which is 13K/T. If I mined in my Type 6 and got 100T of Palladium I'd make 1300K but who knows how long that 'll take since Palladium is very rare.

All in all it seems like it would take a very long time to get an Anaconda or half as long to get a Python.

Oh and the Orcas are rubbish, it seems.

300. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 22, 2014, 14:58 yuastnav

I am actually just taking on these high paying bounty mission and killing off Anaconda's one after the other.
Usually it's in a non-anarchy system and I get some help from the local police forces which makes things a lot easier.

Can only recommend once you get a Cobra.

[edit]
I wonder how many elite Anacondas I have to kill to not be a novice anymore.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2014, 15:06.

297. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 22, 2014, 14:02 yuastnav

Flatline wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 13:30:
Vall Forran wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 12:55:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 11:50:
Other npc ships also get aggroed if you steal their kills. They won't fire at you, at least none of them fired at me yet but they become red and they keep on scanning you.
Warp in and out works too to reset
At least they've fixed the dang kill stealing issues that was frustrating. I got a pirate down to 2% hull and the cops finished him off and I got no bounty.
Now it works the other way around. I can nearly kill someone and if the cops finish him off I will still get the bounty.

If you go to an Anarchy system you won't have these issues anymore although everyone can start attacking you at ones.

Ah, this happened to me last night. I went into a USS and warrant scanned two ships, then I noticed they were fighting. One was clean, the other wanted. Both went hostile when I shot the wanted guy the first time. After I killed it, the clean guy just sat there being all red, but not attacking. I let him live and flew away.

Where do you guys go for bounty hunts? The ones I find at nav beacons usually are really pathetic sidewinders that are only worth 1-2k. I was flying to a station to park and got interdicted...that guy was worth $23k. Should I set up an interdictor on my ship?

I started on my way to Sol and stopped at the hana-something system. I was doing okay bounty hunting there but took a side mission at eta-something which was basically 2 clusters of ringed planets 2000 LS outside of the solar area. I grinded for about 45 minutes and started fighting asps, cobras, and other medium-large ships of competent & up. A competent asp pilot seems to be worth around 15k while an elite python netted me the 75k bounty. I do have a KW scanner so that might be making a difference.
[...]

It depends. I saw clean elite pilots get a bounty and when I killed them I received only 100 or 200 credits.
That happened to me several times.

Once I killed 3 ASPs in a row and each gave me about 30K, I think?
Killing an Anaconda only gave 20K.

Also when doing the Anaconda kill mission the bounty of the Anaconda varies from instance to instance, which is weird.

285. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 22, 2014, 06:50 yuastnav

Weirdest thing just happened. So I relocated close to Alioth since I want to get into that system and I took on an Anaconda kill mission.
Worst case scenario happened whereas I had to kill it in an anarchy system.
So I've been making a few passes and basically getting my ass kicked when all of a sudden it stopped shooting.
In the end it just sat in front of me and let me kill it. Weird.

281. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 21, 2014, 15:46 yuastnav

I have no idea where the Power Plant of an Anaconda is.
I killed an elite Anaconda just now to get my 150K from the mission but the power plant was still at something like 30%. So targeting the back or the belly doesn't help... right?
I have a feeling it is more towards the sides or the back. Don't know.

I was only able to kill it because I have "report crimes against me" on and four Allied Forces ships jumped in and helped me.

I do 95% of the damage, mind you, but they are indispensable for my strategy since they draw a lot of fire and drain the power.

Three of the four Allied ships died (one of them crashed into me and almost killed me). The last Viper survived with 65% hull.

If I ever have to kill one in an anarchy system I am going to be SO boned.

272. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 21, 2014, 07:34 yuastnav

Is anyone else going for Alliance?

Did you figure out why they have no ranks? I guess it kinda makes sense...

Anyway, I didn't know there were specific mission to increase the reputation. Will have to look out for those since it doesn't seem like they appear in the unavailable missions section.

[edit]
Two things:

1. Yes, Rail Gun is limited to 30 shots only.

2. The cannon doesn't seem to do much damage to smaller ships. Or maybe it varies A LOT. Because I think sometimes it gets the target down by 30%, sometimes by just 1%. Subsystems seemed unaffected but maybe it is difficult to target them.

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2014, 08:20.

254. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 19, 2014, 19:20 yuastnav

Oh, interesting.

Luckily my Cobra has 4 hardpoints for weapons. Guess I'll just keep my two beam lasers and replace my two pulse lasers (which I don't really need) with something else.

So now I just have to decide whether I'm going to get cannons, missiles or a rail gun. Wish there was a feature like in starfarer whereas you could try out a new load out in a simulation.

250. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 19, 2014, 18:48 yuastnav

Really? I dunno, I'm looking at it right now and while something like the Fragment Cannon and the Missile Rack have Ammo Clip Size and Ammo Maximum the Rail Gun does not.

I am also puzzled about some of the more expensive weapons.
I have a beam laser that cost 37K and when I compare it to a beam laser for 2 million the only difference is that the expensive beam laser is turreted, weighs more, has a higher power draw, is class 2 instead of 1 and does less damage... ?
Has the same DPS, apparently. I feel like I'm not getting the bigger picture here.

248. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 19, 2014, 18:25 yuastnav

Alright Vall, thanks for the tips. I'll consider getting a railgun.

I remember that, during one of the Betas, I fought a Cobra in my Sidewinder. The Cobra had a railgun and after my shields went down it owned me in one shot.

I guess we actually did spend about half an hour fighting that Anaconda. Will have to try missiles and the railgun. Though I'll probably start with some smaller targets before I tackle an Anaconda again.

Do you reckon they will nerf the railgun since it's so powerful?

245. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 19, 2014, 18:06 yuastnav

Vall Forran wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 18:03:
yuastnav wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 17:57:
Killed my first Anaconda.

Jumped out at some USS with a wanted Anaconda, wanted ASP and allied forces ship. Got the Anaconda to around 70% and attacked and finished off the very battered ASP. Sucker didn't see that one coming from a while away.
Started shooting at the Anaconda again and gut it to under 50%
Then the Allied forces ship blew up. Took a deep breath and started slowly backing away from the Anaconda. Keeping it to between 2.8 and 3.2 km away from me, shooting and it and doing jack shit... tried to figure out a new plan.
Then two allied Vipers jumped in and we killed it off.
Strangely enough the Anaconda was still at 3% when it blew up and when I received my bounty of 43K.

I think I watched a video of a guy doing this singleplayer mission with the Anaconda, but... I don't think the Anaconda there had beam lasers which makes a HUGE difference. Although I get the feeling that the sluggish Cobra is not the best way but the only things more manoeuvrable are the Sidewinder and the Eagle. And those won't last long against beam lasers AT ALL.

Blew up an Anaconda and still have no idea how to kill them.
I guess you need several people. Guess I won't be hunting for those in anarchy systems then...

[edit]
Or use rockets. I dunno. Only have lasers. Hmm...

Subsystems, my friend. If a powerplant dies, the ship dies. I think 4 railshots to a powerplant kills anything in the game. Anacondas are ridiculously easy to target and approach.

Soon there will be people complaining that a pirate killed them instantly...this is how that happened.

I actually cycled through the subsystems. I didn't pay any attention to how damaged the power plant was when the Anaconda blew up but while it was still >20% the power plant was at 50%. I tried to target it but it didn't seem to make much difference.

I realise that there are probably blind spots but I haven't found them yet and I think my keyboard+mouse setup shows its limitations now because it's difficult to strafe into different directions and turn at the same time. Sometimes the keyboard doesn't even accept that many key inputs, haha...

873 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo