Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 779 (Graduate)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Interviews
69. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 19:34 yuastnav

Redmask wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 19:03:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 18:52:
As a compassionate being your first reaction shouldn't be one of irritation but of empathy. Maybe I am too gullible but as I said: that kind of callousness is not something I can readily comprehend.

That was many peoples first reaction. And second, third, fourth and then it started to become really obvious what was going on. People use terms like victim complex because that is exactly what is going on here.

Here's an uncomfortable truth. Men and women are different, they will never be treated as complete equals in all things. People tote around female demographics in the gaming industry but for the most part they are not playing the same kinds of games we are. We have female oriented television, movies, games and books just like we have male driven media.

People like Anita are not interested in equality. They are interested in their way of thinking being the dominant one. That is what pisses people off. There is no honest discussion going on, we are being spoken to and told what to do with this overriding idea that we are horrible people if we do not. I am tired of anyone telling me whats going on in my head with my morals based on some imagined lack of action on my part. So excuse me if I yawn when I see this sort of thing but I've seen it all before, several times already and been treated like shit by people who supposedly want my help, some which have been revealed as complete frauds.

I don't want to see anyone treated badly, male or female. But guess what? That's fucking life, especially on the internet. Bad things happen to good people, we do our best to minimize that and we move on. Some utter moron like Anita paints a target on her chest, eggs people on then plays the drama queen when something actually happens (and I'm not even convinced it did based on the evidence). That says nothing about you, me or anyone else. It says something about her.

This is where I disagree. Men and women are different but from that it doesn't necessarily follow that they should be treated differently.
What I am talking about is a hypothetical construct/standard that is unrealistic but which is needed as a sort of goal we can work towards.

There are female and male demographics and all that other stuff you mentioned but the question is why it is there. Of course the roots are historical and the big question is how much of it is scientifically accurate, i.e. in what ways men and women really differ as opposed to what children are taught when they are brought up.
If we take a stupid and simple example like high heels, we can see that it is related to the construct of female beauty. That construct is artificial, though, but it would look completely unnatural for us if men would be wearing high-heeled shoes. That is not something that is biologically or genetically a woman's thing but that is something we learned. That would also be the reason, as far as I see it, why feminists regard it as sexist (for the sake of honesty and open discussion I will state that I agree with that and that I consider myself a feminist).

I guess my opinion about how equal men and women should be, or what the term equal means, is just more extreme than yours.

As far as keyboard activism is concerned it is something that always makes me wonder. How else would you do it?
I can see several ways in how you can manipulate other people to think the way you do (here I assume the hypothesis that you think that your set of morals is the only correct one):
- By enforcing it through some kind of monarchical system or dictatorship
- By writing a really successful book that (secretly), through a clever rhetoric, tries to convince people to think the way you do
- By talking about it
- By bringing up your children with your set of standards

Some of them will be more effective than others, some will be more radical than others. Guess which is the easiest of these. You talk to people. You try to keep the discussion open, you try to get your point across and you try to convince people that what you think is right and that there is a problem.
In the grand scheme you could also have protests and stuff like that but it's easy to protest against a big entity or an institution like the government. It's not as easy to protest against half of the population. One problem is that people are susceptible to propaganda and to the media to varying degrees. Just look at all the ads and billboards and how the women look in these. This creates a false image in the head of all people that is difficult to remove.
The question then is why this is the case and who benefits from that. Who would want to have sexism in video games? Of course you'd also need to make a distinction between people who make sexist games because they don't know better and people who want to somehow benefit from that by... I dunno, giving someone a powerfantasy or something. I will admit that I have no apparent answer for that last point.

Of course you need a means to get your point across. Like Anita. Though it looks like that she's not really useful as a vehicle for that since she has lost a lot of credibility.
Yes, her reasons may be selfish but rape threats? Come on. This is some fucked up stuff right there.
Personally I'm also very stubborn. Yeah, bad things happen and that's part of life but that doesn't mean that we just leave it at that after it had happened so many times because every time something bad happens you have to fight it. Of course it's unrealistic and impractical (and more complicated) but the general gist stays the same.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

63. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 18:55 yuastnav

Mad Max RW wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 18:39:
Redmask wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 18:27:
Calling people a bunch of ignorant sexist woman haters, arseholes or whatever you want to say is going to immediately get someone playing defensive.

And that's their game in a nutshell. Liars like Beamer can't have an honest discussion when their bogus ideology is in tatters. They have to resort to anything, from calling you sexist and racist and hating the poor or whatever, to immediately stop the discussion and redirect it so you are defending yourself. They are desperate, miserable people with a total lack of introspection.

To be fair though, it wasn't Beamer. It was me. I'm quick-tempered when it comes to certain topics, especially when they are bordering on issue of morality in such a strong way.

62. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 18:52 yuastnav

Redmask wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 18:27:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 17:19:
I don't give a shit.

Then it's not really fair to expect anyone else to care either. If you can't see someone elses point of view then you can't bridge the gap to your own.

Someone will be sexist or racist regardless of whether I insult him or not and if that person is unable to reflect on that themselves, after I called them out on it, then I wouldn't be able to help them anyway.

That's bullshit and you should know it. Calling people a bunch of ignorant sexist woman haters, arseholes or whatever you want to say is going to immediately get someone playing defensive. Figuring out their point of view and getting them to see your own is harder work but pays off dividends by comparison.

Speaking of open minds, maybe you should consider the alternative that people might not be the way you think they are and that you're buying into a narrative spun by people who have skin in the game. I would think that the events of the past week would show that such a thing is not only a possibility but a frequent event.

That would ironic, in a sense. If these people are not how they make out to be then there is no real way for me to tell whether they are serious regardless of whether I am open-minded to their ideas or not.
I understand that the stream of such articles can get tiring but the callousness and flippancy with which some approach this topic is really unnerving and drives me nuts.
There are some aspects I feel I will never be able to understand.

I thought Anita was making a good point. Then I found out that a lot of the things she said might not be true and now I'm on the fence. On the one hand I support what she stands for but on the other hand I do not agree with how and to what extent it is presented (e.g. the examples she picks, how radical she is about that). But there is just absolutely no excuse for rape threats.
Is it a fake? Or is it not a fake? It is not apparently obvious. But some are quick to label that in a way that wave it aside with terms like "victim complex" etc.
As a compassionate being your first reaction shouldn't be one of irritation but of empathy. Maybe I am too gullible but as I said: that kind of callousness is not something I can readily comprehend.

51. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 17:19 yuastnav

Redmask wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 16:54:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 16:38:
In the end it comes down to morality but if someone's stance is "I don't care about sexism/racism/etc., I just want to play my video games." then that person is a fucking arsehole and a poor excuse for a human being. But that's just my personal moral stance. I think Daniel Dennett partly refers to that as being a member of the Moral Agents' Club

That kind of holier than thou, my way or the highway attitude is the kind of thing that drives people further away from your stance rather than towards it. Gaming is a leisure activity and hobby for many people but if you want to call them names and think that's going to help inform them then good fucking luck with that.

I don't give a shit.
Someone will be sexist or racist regardless of whether I insult him or not and if that person is unable to reflect on that themselves, after I called them out on it, then I wouldn't be able to help them anyway.
What the hell happened to personal responsibility? I may call someone a racist dickweed but it's not for me to convince them that he is one, I just point it out. You'll either agree with my moral stance or not, regardless of the derogatory terms I use.
But I see your point since many people really find it difficult to separate their rational and emotional side. I'm just sick and tired of this whole bullshit and need to vent sometimes, so I call people names. If someone does the same to me, okay. If I think that person has something intelligent to say I will listen anyway. You kinda learn that by being on the internet for so long. And working in academia.

Or in other words: my point is valid or invalid regardless of my (low) opinion of others and how directly I express that opinion. People should decide for themselves whether they want to burden themselves with the personal responsibility to rethink their moral stance.
What annoys and angers me is that this board is a cesspit of constant whining about those darn social justice warriors and why don't they shut up thereisnotproblemgoaway. If that's such a problem for you then why don't you ignore it? Will it physically hurt you if you don't? What is that obsession? And quite often these are just inane remarks like this or this one that don't further the discussion in any meaningful way and are just childish "look at me I'm so witty" outbursts.
Yes, maybe I'm too emotional and I have a hard time keeping my cool but god dammit you people are really not helping sometimes. It's also the reason why avoid these topics more often than not.

[edit]
And just by the by. I never called anyone specifically an arsehole since people are usually not one-dimensional and there's more to then than just a single, poorly-worded post with some misogynistic tendencies.
I'm sorry if you think that only because it's a hobby it should be impervious to societal norms and scrutinisation but I don't see it that way.
And judging by the length of that response it's probably not even true that I don't give a shit. Oh well, I tried.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2014, 17:24.

44. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 16:38 yuastnav

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 15:59:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 09:14:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 01:52:
[...] This is politics,[...]

It is not.

What is it then, oh wise gatekeeper of interpretations?

The difference is between what you are and what you chose to be. Your gender, sex, sexual preference and origin is something that you do not chose, it's who you are. Your political stance, your religion etc. is something that you can willingly and freely change.
If someone brings up something like religion in video games then yeah, just ignore it, it really doesn't matter. The same is not true for sexism. If someone is mistreated based on something that that person has no control over then it becomes a problem that should affect everyone and shouldn't be ignored. This is related to the concept of society and human traits like empathy.
In the end it comes down to morality but if someone's stance is "I don't care about sexism/racism/etc., I just want to play my video games." then that person is a fucking arsehole and a poor excuse for a human being. But that's just my personal moral stance. I think Daniel Dennett partly refers to that as being a member of the Moral Agents' Club

28. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 09:14 yuastnav

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 01:52:
[...] This is politics,[...]

It is not.

News Comments > etc., etc.
32. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2014, 18:28 yuastnav

jdreyer wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 16:43:
[...]
I think it's fairly realistic that the water vapor in the cockpit would condense and freeze on the windows once you go into stealth mode and shut down the cockpit heating. That's just physics.
[...]

It's actually not. The temperature in the cockpit doesn't get lower since there's nowhere for the heat to go to.

29. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2014, 14:42 yuastnav

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 14:38:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 14:08:
So my conclusion is that what happened in the video is actually scientifically not possible or highly exaggerated.

It's a video game made so you can have fun, yes... it is highly exaggerated. It's visual feedback for when you are in stealth.

I'm not saying it's not cool. I was just curious whether this part of the simulation was true or not.

24. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2014, 14:11 yuastnav

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 14:06:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 13:49:
I quickly scanned their forums and what I found out was that it's sort of an instanced MMO with up to 32 players simultaneously fighting, though I'm not sure what it's actually like since the only instanced MMO that I played was Global Agenda.
Unless if you mean the distress zones where you go to fight the whole game is basically a living breathing sandbox with live players and Ai mixed all together.
The distress zones are where you go to choose your side and fight against Ai and players of the opposite faction.
Those areas are great for grinding for cash but you have to be careful even your own faction player can turn against you. It is a PvP area with no police present. Anything goes.

Aside from that I am not aware of a MP only arena type game mode (doesn't mean there isn't one). I have to admit though I haven't been playing it much lately life has been kicking my ass.

Thanks for the explanation! Unfortunately I'm also too busy with real life, so I won't be getting the game, most likely, but I'm definitely looking forward to the release since it sounds awesome.

23. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2014, 14:08 yuastnav

Cutter wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 13:54:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 13:34:
Heh, I was kinda bothered by how the glass froze since I'm not sure whether this is actually scientifically possible.
Though I guess not everything has to be absolutely realistic for it to be a simulation (I'm talking about stuff that's known to be true or false, not science fiction things like allegedly ftl travel).

Sure it's possible, it's thermodynamics. That would be condensation from inside the ship as the ship's temperature reaches equilibrium with the space around it. Ever see Apollo 13? Space is cold, man. You can freeze your nips off out there.

The problem is that space is almost a vacuum and doesn't really have a temperature since temperature is related to particle movement and there are only, if I remember correctly, a few atoms per cubic meter in space, if not less. From my understanding space is a very good insulator. Reaching an equilibrium with space wouldn't be possible, in this case, since you would not be able to exchange heat with space by conduction or convection, only by radiation.
Losing heat by radiation, however, isn't a fast process, certainly not as fast as shown in the E:D video.
So my conclusion is that what happened in the video is actually scientifically not possible or highly exaggerated.

Now concerning the Apollo 13 mission I google quickly and found this thread and the answer seems to be in post #11 and further explained in post #13.

20. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2014, 13:49 yuastnav

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 13:41:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 13:34:
I assume that the E:D multiplayer isn't like a FPS Eve
It actually is kind of like that
All the ships flying around you are a mix of players and Ai. The only way to know if they are players or Ai is to target them and if the pilot name come up as Cmdr they are player controlled.

So I'd say if you liked the way EVE works with the different security level systems and you never know if you get ambushed by pirates as you approach a station or being chased down by police for carrying illegal goods in your cargo etc., you will love Elite.

I have to admit that I never played EVE but was always fascinated by it (I never played real MMOs, Planetside 2 was my first one). What you described sounds interesting, though.

I quickly scanned their forums and what I found out was that it's sort of an instanced MMO with up to 32 players simultaneously fighting, though I'm not sure what it's actually like since the only instanced MMO that I played was Global Agenda.

18. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2014, 13:34 yuastnav

Heh, I was kinda bothered by how the glass froze since I'm not sure whether this is actually scientifically possible.
Though I guess not everything has to be absolutely realistic for it to be a simulation (I'm talking about stuff that's known to be true or false, not science fiction things like allegedly ftl travel).

So is it worth getting E:D right now? How's the multiplayer?
I stayed away from Star Citizen because the monetisation model looked dodgy as hell to me, coupled with it using the CryEngine and only allowing only a handful of players per server (afaik).
I assume that the E:D multiplayer isn't like a FPS Eve (which would be cool, though) but is it still like an open-world thing with quests/missions or more of an arena-type shooter thing?

16. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2014, 13:23 yuastnav

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

Anyway, I've never played an Elite game and after the disappointment that was X: Rebirth the new Elite Dangerous looks like an interesting game. I have a hard time right now convincing myself to wait for the final release and not get the game right now. :p

12. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2014, 05:18 yuastnav

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 21:14:
Here the straight youtube link for people who don't ever click on Kotaku
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbaLJTGHkj8

Wow, thank you very much.

I always wonder why people post links to videosift etc. instead of to the original site, like youtube.

News Comments > Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming
115. Re: Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming Aug 24, 2014, 16:42 yuastnav

Mad Max RW wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 13:58:
[...]
You come in crying about people saying "social justice warrior" as a pejorative to end a conversation, [...]

That's because only kids on 4chan use that term in an actually serious manner.

It's getting ridiculous, I have to keep myself from laughing everyone uses "social justice warrior" with seriousface=on.
"true SJW?" What? Do you even hear how ridiculous that sounds? The only intention of that term is to shut down any discussion by regressing to calling the other party names.

Prez wrote on Aug 23, 2014, 14:46:
Hell, any time even Jade Raymond is mentioned here the conversation turns to her looks, and then it turns to at least one person saying she's unqualified and only got where she got for sleeping her way there.

Very true. In fairness, it's hard not to mention her looks because of how pretty she is but personally I don't doubt her qualifications at all. I think it's awesome a beautiful lady is involved the videogames industry and has rose to a high position. In such a male-heavy industry it's great to see. She is an excellent role model for other women and she seemingly does her job with class despite the boorishness.

You really don't get, it do you.
"Focusing on her appearance instead of her achievements in the industry is kind of a problem."
"Yeah but... she's so hot."
"m("

Verno wrote on Aug 23, 2014, 17:22:
[...]
They really should be throwing her to the wolves, she is setting back female oriented outreach in the gaming industry by years and not making the press look good either. [...]

I never quite understood that argument. It's like there is this whole, foreign species called "females" that we don't understand and we don't know whether we want them in our gaming industry. So if one of them falls out of line that means that "yep, we're not sure whether we really can have women in the industry because they're not actually able to do anything and will probably just sleep themselves upwards since the shortcoming of one woman means the whole sex is like that". Guess who that doesn't happen to. You guessed right, men. (I realise that it's actually the opposite case when it comes to other things, like domestic violence, where it's biased against men; but only because it's unjust in one field doesn't mean we should behave like that in all other fields. You never get anywhere with that kind of attitude and you look like a stupid kid who's doing it just out of spite.)
Here's a crazy thought, I know it may sound ridiculous but bear with me: how about you look at a person as a human being first and a woman (or man) second? If someone has the qualifications and can make videogames, let them. Is that person male or female? Don't give a shit.

News Comments > Crytek to Repair Reputation with "Really High Quality Games"
10. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 19, 2014, 09:52 yuastnav

Far Cry was good. Then they introduced mutants and it went downhill. Never made a good game after that (at least not in my opinion). Although I have to admit that I only played Far Cry and the first Crysis. The other Crysis games didn't look particularly interesting after the bore that was Crysis 1.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 15, 2014, 13:17 yuastnav

Blindly trust your government. What could possibly go wrong?  

News Comments > Op Ed
103. Re: Op Ed Jul 26, 2014, 17:58 yuastnav

This whole business of blocking someone because you got really emotional over something that person said is silly.
Come on people, you have a perfectly functioning brain. You can read something someone said and then decide on the fly whether you want to just dismiss it outright or further think about it.
It's not that you can actually get dumber by reading something.

I understand blocking someone because of spam, which I rarely see here, but because of opinions?

News Comments > Op Ed
92. Re: Op Ed Jul 25, 2014, 11:19 yuastnav

Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 09:41:
If you're gullible enough to think Beamer and jdreyer are sincere then you're as worthless as they are.

You know what? I'll make it easier for you. Since my opinion is more or less congruent with theirs you can probably just put me on your ignore list, too.
Saves you the trouble of actually reading and thinking about opinions different from yours. Why discuss anything when you can fling around terms like "social justice warrior", something I'd have rather expected from kids on 4chan.

Yes, nationwide demonstrations against sexism in video games might be too much but it's still a problem and I cannot fathom why this article is such a problem for most users here.

News Comments > Op Ed
89. Re: Op Ed Jul 25, 2014, 08:45 yuastnav

Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 19:43:
jdreyer, has pretending to be a feminist social justice warrior ever succeeded in getting you laid? Do you go through this same routine in real life?

Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 20:13:
I'm assuming the resident social justice warrior underneath me just said another one of his weak retorts. Having him on ignore is so nice.

It will never cease to amaze me watching these lonely people preach from the safety of their ivory tower penthouses, latching onto the weekly "equality" bandwagon just to troll video game websites with their nonsense. That's why the Beamers and the jdreyers of the world act the way they do. They are lonely.

m(

Please, just stop. I'm embarrassed for both of us.

779 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo