Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 735 (Apprentice)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers
77. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 13:51 yuastnav

mag wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 13:46:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 13:43:
Beamer wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 13:31:
I'm starting to feel bad for all the people that ignore space captain. Of late he's been hysterical.

Maybe they'll learn some day that there is a very good method of ignoring people: the brain!
That way you don't miss out on the fun and skip what you don't like.

I have a ton of people on ignore here, but I've never felt compelled to ignore space captain.

Well, he's a funny fellow.
Especially when people rage and scream how they are fed up and going to ignore him! Or anyone else, for that matter.

Yes, I am probably a poor human being because I like seeing people rage but that's the fun of life.

I am also kinda glad that I pre-ordered Saints Row 3 and Skyrim instead of Rage. Those two games at least guarantee me hours upon hours of fun whereas I'm not sure what I would do with Rage.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers
74. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 13:43 yuastnav

Beamer wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 13:31:
I'm starting to feel bad for all the people that ignore space captain. Of late he's been hysterical.

Maybe they'll learn some day that there is a very good method of ignoring people: the brain!
That way you don't miss out on the fun and skip what you don't like.

News Comments > Notch: Mojang Offered "To Give Up the Trademark" for Scrolls
33. Re: Notch: Mojang Offered Oct 4, 2011, 11:53 yuastnav

WaltC wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 10:25:
[...]
document, manuscript, paper, parchment, scripture, papyrus, file...just for starters. [...]

You are right. He should release a game called "Paper".

m(

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind Beta Updates
1. Re: A Valley Without Wind Beta Updates Oct 3, 2011, 11:59 yuastnav

Man, this game is really a blast and it has been improving with every update. I'm really looking forward to the final product, this is going to be so awesome!  

News Comments > Hacked 128-Player Battlefield 3 Beta Servers
76. Re: Hacked 128-Player Battlefield 3 Beta Servers Oct 3, 2011, 07:32 yuastnav

Bhruic wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 03:41:
[...] And while the Community Manager went a little overboard, having to cater to the insipid twits would be more than I could stomach, so I can completely sympathize.

And that's why you shouldn't be a community manager.
Same reason goes for him.

Btw, there is a new invention called "the edit button" - uh, you might wanna check it out.

News Comments > Diablo III Speed Hack?
38. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 1, 2011, 12:26 yuastnav

Beelzebud wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 12:11:
Get your terms straight, noobs.

DRM = Digital Rights Management. It's copy protection.

[...]

m(

Protip: DRM is not just copy protection.

28. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 1, 2011, 08:55 yuastnav

SAM ROGERS wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 08:36:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 08:22:
SAM ROGERS wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 08:10:
Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 20:42:
Well it's good they have their always on DRM to prevent this, right?
Rolleyes

Maybe I'm being stupid - but since when did DRM have anything to do with stopping in-game hacks?

DRM is about making sure ppl pay for the game right? Any game, DRM or not can be subject to in-game hacks...

At last! A temporary cure for ignorance!

So technically I was right.

Well, that one guy from Blizzard says that they technically never called it DRM because they didn't see it as such but that can only mean that they were the opposite of sane the whole time.
It is supposed to stop hacks and yes - no matter how you slice it: it's DRM.

26. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 1, 2011, 08:22 yuastnav

SAM ROGERS wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 08:10:
Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 20:42:
Well it's good they have their always on DRM to prevent this, right?
Rolleyes

Maybe I'm being stupid - but since when did DRM have anything to do with stopping in-game hacks?

DRM is about making sure ppl pay for the game right? Any game, DRM or not can be subject to in-game hacks...

At last! A temporary cure for ignorance!

News Comments > PC Piracy and DRM Analysis
31. Re: PC Piracy and DRM Analysis Oct 1, 2011, 05:25 yuastnav

Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 20:56:
It's funny this comes up as I watched a brilliant show on CBC the other night, The Trouble With Experts - which you can watch online at that link. It is well worth the watch.

Seems that in several studies of 10-30 years by academics that almost all of these so-called experts are wrong over half to two-thirds of the time. They showed one experiement that The Economist did where they asked all the best financial minds and captains of industry to predict where the economy would be in 10 years and then they asked a bunnh of blue collar guys, like garbagemen and such, and 10 years later it turns out the blue collar guys were right and all the so-called experts were wrong.

Yeah but that's because economy is not a science and everything a so-called expert says is just a very vague prediction instead of a prevision. It cannot even be called an educated guess.

News Comments > Broken Sword Free on GOG.com
12. Re: Broken Sword Free on GOG.com Sep 30, 2011, 12:18 yuastnav

Dirwulf wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 12:04:
I ended up with two copies. And apparently I bought JA Deadly Games at some point and don't remember as that is in my library as well.

This one was also given away for free at some point. I think everyone who had an account on that site before their relaunch received a copy.

News Comments > Documentary Uses Arma2 for Fake Footage
23. Re: Documentary Uses Arma2 for Fake Footage Sep 27, 2011, 19:34 yuastnav

Lobster wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 14:18:
Come on, Britain. I'd expect this from China or Iran, but not you!

That doesn't make any sense. Why would either of them do something like that?

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Sep 27, 2011, 06:02 yuastnav

nin wrote on Sep 26, 2011, 12:04:
Cutter wrote on Sep 26, 2011, 12:00:
And it's why for most of us for most games...no demo, no sale.

I certainty wouldn't have rushed out and preordered DXHR without it's "demo" and the hugely positive feedback it generated.

Same here. I had no interest in this title whatsoever but after watching some videos of a guy playing it and then doing the same myself I immediately changed my mind and preordered the game.

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind PC/Mac Demo
1. Re: A Valley Without Wind PC/Mac Demo Sep 26, 2011, 14:44 yuastnav

Finally! I have been eagerly awaiting this!  

News Comments > Op Ed
48. Re: Op Ed Sep 23, 2011, 11:57 yuastnav

BurntSoul wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 10:58:
yuastnav wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 08:52:

Something like nethack or dungeon crawl doesn't really work with coop.

Why? Can't we get creative and make it work?

First off I would never want Diablo III to be an FPS. However, I do think there is room for an FPS that has the Roguelike qualities of the diablo series as well as games like nethack/dungeon hack.

You probably already know this, but the Diablo series' roots were derived from the 'roguelike' game (random hack and slash + dungeon crawler adventure game, random loot drops). There are also multiplayer roguelike games. Go check the wiki on roguelikes to see it. Why is Diablo/Diablo II still being played today? I believe it's because of the Co-op, and the fact that the game is different enough based on random dungeon levels and item drops.

So why does this formula have to stay in the realm of isometric view?

There are more than a few FPS games right now that have everything Diablo has, excluding the level randomization. The story is generally the same: Kill bad guys + boss with quest, get loot, stay alive, level up and do it again.

FPS play + Randomization of levels and the options for them (before the game begins) are the only components that would need to be added.

What has to stay basically the same? The general storyline.

Future new campaigns could be created with new content, textures, creatures and tilesets - while the story changes with which baddies/bosses to kill. Alternatively, the original story could be retrofitted on the fly with a different tileset for that game (Kill boss A but now he lives in a dungeon as opposed to a castle, or he lives in the desert as opposed to the jungle).

You can also add randomly generated and/or recurring side-quests. MMORPGs do it all the time. Even if you didn't want that kind of randomization, you could create specific side-quests but randomly place them in the 'levels' when a new game starts or add more or less side-quests (or none at all).

This keeps things interesting and fresh.

You see, I'd rather be creative to solve this as opposed to saying it just cannot work.

Mhm I was not aware that there are roguelike multiplayer games.
The only one I knew was the online component of dungeon crawl stone soup which is more of a score-based ladder system or something like that.

The thing is that I wouldn't want to give up the round based concept of something like nethack.
It would not be impossible to make multiplayer, though, it would just be kinda difficult and straining on all the players because you'd always have to wait for the other player before you could make your turn again.

But thanks, I'll check that link out.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2011, 11:48 yuastnav

Ratty wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 11:35:
Speed of light: How about this? Neutrinos are weird because they change their type. They start out as electron neutronos, say, and then oscillate to muon neutrinos and the other kind (I forget what they are). So the neutrino that is emitted isn't the same one that arrives at the detector. So nothing actually went faster than c.

Thank you, thank you. I am available to pick my medal in Oslo next year around April.

The thing is: Considering the time between the emission and the observation of the neutrino they calculated a speed greater than the speed of light - that means even if they're not the same neutrinos and there was a reaction somewhere in between they still had to be ftl to make such a measurement.

Creston wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 11:28:
As for the speed of light thing, there was a report (linked to here on Blues, I think) about an experiment done... six, seven years ago or so, where they had two blocks of a particular material with a fiberoptic connection in between them.

They shot a lightbeam from one block to the other, and the beam had passed out of the receiving block before it was done exiting the first block, thereby going faster than the speed of light. It was a repeatable phenomenon.

Wish I could find that article again, but my google skills fail me today.

Creston

I don't know of the experiment you mean (or maybe I read about it and forgot, who knows...) but could it have been something about this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartman_effect
If yes then it can be explained through the tunnel effect.

7. Re: Misc. Sep 23, 2011, 11:21 yuastnav

Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 10:52:
[...]
Dr. Mark Powell: What if I were to tell you that according to a man who lived on our planet, named Einstein, that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light?

Prot: I would say that you misread Einstein, Dr. Powell. May I call you Mark? You see Mark, what Einstein actually said was that nothing can accelerate to the speed of light because its mass would become infinite. Einstein said nothing about entities already traveling at the speed of light or faster.

So which is it?
[...]

The speed of light is constant and is a limit, nothing can reach or surpass the speed of light. It's probably true that he didn't say anything about entities travelling faster than the speed of light but you have to keep in mind that we are talking about neutrinos here. They have an infinitesimally small mass but they are not massless (contrary to photons which are, in fact, massless).
If I understood the paper correctly they got the neutrinos from some muon reaction so it would be quite baffling as to why it would be ftl.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2011, 11:16 yuastnav

InBlack wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 10:59:
yuastnav wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 09:41:
In case the paper wasn't linked in the article (it wasn't yesterday) here it is: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1109.4897

They probably didn't take into account some systematic error (they also say so at the end of the paper) so it's kinda annoying to see how everyone is blowing this out of proportion (funny enough today's xkcd comic makes fun of that, too).

I gotta phone my dad. He is a theoretical physicist and probably in the loop on this, if this indeed turns out to be a correct finding this will be huge.

Well, the thing is that all they have right now are measurements from a range of three years and a paper about it. It was submitted to arXiv only yesterday so it's very, very likely that it has neither been peer-reviewed nor reviewed by experts and they're already suggesting in the paper themselves that there was maybe a statistical error they did not take into account.
It's a bit scary when you read the paper, though, because of all the stuff they thought about (since the measurements were made over the span of three years I figured that there may have been a shift due to an earthquake or another, natural occurrence but they even took THAT into account) when doing these measurements.
If it turns out to be true it's going to be big but personally I kinda doubt that.

News Comments > Diablo III DRM Problems
88. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 23, 2011, 09:49 yuastnav

Warrax wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 09:29:
[...] you probably gonna end up buying it anyway you know you're just being picky.

Because clearly it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a solid state of morals that you don't throw out the window the moment someone waves something shiny in your face.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2011, 09:41 yuastnav

In case the paper wasn't linked in the article (it wasn't yesterday) here it is: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1109.4897

They probably didn't take into account some systematic error (they also say so at the end of the paper) so it's kinda annoying to see how everyone is blowing this out of proportion (funny enough today's xkcd comic makes fun of that, too).

News Comments > Op Ed
45. Re: Op Ed Sep 23, 2011, 08:52 yuastnav

BurntSoul wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 17:00:
Okay, for Diablo 3 to be an FPS? No F'n way, the guy is trolling for controversy. However, I do like the idea of a NetHack game in an FPS. In other words, give me the RPG elements. But also give me a completely random maps to cover. Also, I'd like to randomly create the map/dungeon/castle based on specific things like Dungeon Hack. Will I need food to survive, or not? More or Less creatures per level of dungeon? How many levels down? How large of a map can I create on the fly? Which tileset(s) to use? How much magic? Permadeath or not? You get what I mean. Finally, bring on the option for co-op gaming as well as single player and I'm good. Bonus? LAN only play and Dedicated server files, of course

Something like nethack or dungeon crawl doesn't really work with coop.

735 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo