Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 704 (Apprentice)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Sep 27, 2011, 06:02 yuastnav

nin wrote on Sep 26, 2011, 12:04:
Cutter wrote on Sep 26, 2011, 12:00:
And it's why for most of us for most games...no demo, no sale.

I certainty wouldn't have rushed out and preordered DXHR without it's "demo" and the hugely positive feedback it generated.

Same here. I had no interest in this title whatsoever but after watching some videos of a guy playing it and then doing the same myself I immediately changed my mind and preordered the game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind PC/Mac Demo
1. Re: A Valley Without Wind PC/Mac Demo Sep 26, 2011, 14:44 yuastnav

Finally! I have been eagerly awaiting this!  

News Comments > Op Ed
48. Re: Op Ed Sep 23, 2011, 11:57 yuastnav

BurntSoul wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 10:58:
yuastnav wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 08:52:

Something like nethack or dungeon crawl doesn't really work with coop.

Why? Can't we get creative and make it work?

First off I would never want Diablo III to be an FPS. However, I do think there is room for an FPS that has the Roguelike qualities of the diablo series as well as games like nethack/dungeon hack.

You probably already know this, but the Diablo series' roots were derived from the 'roguelike' game (random hack and slash + dungeon crawler adventure game, random loot drops). There are also multiplayer roguelike games. Go check the wiki on roguelikes to see it. Why is Diablo/Diablo II still being played today? I believe it's because of the Co-op, and the fact that the game is different enough based on random dungeon levels and item drops.

So why does this formula have to stay in the realm of isometric view?

There are more than a few FPS games right now that have everything Diablo has, excluding the level randomization. The story is generally the same: Kill bad guys + boss with quest, get loot, stay alive, level up and do it again.

FPS play + Randomization of levels and the options for them (before the game begins) are the only components that would need to be added.

What has to stay basically the same? The general storyline.

Future new campaigns could be created with new content, textures, creatures and tilesets - while the story changes with which baddies/bosses to kill. Alternatively, the original story could be retrofitted on the fly with a different tileset for that game (Kill boss A but now he lives in a dungeon as opposed to a castle, or he lives in the desert as opposed to the jungle).

You can also add randomly generated and/or recurring side-quests. MMORPGs do it all the time. Even if you didn't want that kind of randomization, you could create specific side-quests but randomly place them in the 'levels' when a new game starts or add more or less side-quests (or none at all).

This keeps things interesting and fresh.

You see, I'd rather be creative to solve this as opposed to saying it just cannot work.

Mhm I was not aware that there are roguelike multiplayer games.
The only one I knew was the online component of dungeon crawl stone soup which is more of a score-based ladder system or something like that.

The thing is that I wouldn't want to give up the round based concept of something like nethack.
It would not be impossible to make multiplayer, though, it would just be kinda difficult and straining on all the players because you'd always have to wait for the other player before you could make your turn again.

But thanks, I'll check that link out.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2011, 11:48 yuastnav

Ratty wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 11:35:
Speed of light: How about this? Neutrinos are weird because they change their type. They start out as electron neutronos, say, and then oscillate to muon neutrinos and the other kind (I forget what they are). So the neutrino that is emitted isn't the same one that arrives at the detector. So nothing actually went faster than c.

Thank you, thank you. I am available to pick my medal in Oslo next year around April.

The thing is: Considering the time between the emission and the observation of the neutrino they calculated a speed greater than the speed of light - that means even if they're not the same neutrinos and there was a reaction somewhere in between they still had to be ftl to make such a measurement.

Creston wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 11:28:
As for the speed of light thing, there was a report (linked to here on Blues, I think) about an experiment done... six, seven years ago or so, where they had two blocks of a particular material with a fiberoptic connection in between them.

They shot a lightbeam from one block to the other, and the beam had passed out of the receiving block before it was done exiting the first block, thereby going faster than the speed of light. It was a repeatable phenomenon.

Wish I could find that article again, but my google skills fail me today.

Creston

I don't know of the experiment you mean (or maybe I read about it and forgot, who knows...) but could it have been something about this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartman_effect
If yes then it can be explained through the tunnel effect.

7. Re: Misc. Sep 23, 2011, 11:21 yuastnav

Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 10:52:
[...]
Dr. Mark Powell: What if I were to tell you that according to a man who lived on our planet, named Einstein, that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light?

Prot: I would say that you misread Einstein, Dr. Powell. May I call you Mark? You see Mark, what Einstein actually said was that nothing can accelerate to the speed of light because its mass would become infinite. Einstein said nothing about entities already traveling at the speed of light or faster.

So which is it?
[...]

The speed of light is constant and is a limit, nothing can reach or surpass the speed of light. It's probably true that he didn't say anything about entities travelling faster than the speed of light but you have to keep in mind that we are talking about neutrinos here. They have an infinitesimally small mass but they are not massless (contrary to photons which are, in fact, massless).
If I understood the paper correctly they got the neutrinos from some muon reaction so it would be quite baffling as to why it would be ftl.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2011, 11:16 yuastnav

InBlack wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 10:59:
yuastnav wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 09:41:
In case the paper wasn't linked in the article (it wasn't yesterday) here it is: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1109.4897

They probably didn't take into account some systematic error (they also say so at the end of the paper) so it's kinda annoying to see how everyone is blowing this out of proportion (funny enough today's xkcd comic makes fun of that, too).

I gotta phone my dad. He is a theoretical physicist and probably in the loop on this, if this indeed turns out to be a correct finding this will be huge.

Well, the thing is that all they have right now are measurements from a range of three years and a paper about it. It was submitted to arXiv only yesterday so it's very, very likely that it has neither been peer-reviewed nor reviewed by experts and they're already suggesting in the paper themselves that there was maybe a statistical error they did not take into account.
It's a bit scary when you read the paper, though, because of all the stuff they thought about (since the measurements were made over the span of three years I figured that there may have been a shift due to an earthquake or another, natural occurrence but they even took THAT into account) when doing these measurements.
If it turns out to be true it's going to be big but personally I kinda doubt that.

News Comments > Diablo III DRM Problems
88. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 23, 2011, 09:49 yuastnav

Warrax wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 09:29:
[...] you probably gonna end up buying it anyway you know you're just being picky.

Because clearly it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a solid state of morals that you don't throw out the window the moment someone waves something shiny in your face.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2011, 09:41 yuastnav

In case the paper wasn't linked in the article (it wasn't yesterday) here it is: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1109.4897

They probably didn't take into account some systematic error (they also say so at the end of the paper) so it's kinda annoying to see how everyone is blowing this out of proportion (funny enough today's xkcd comic makes fun of that, too).

News Comments > Op Ed
45. Re: Op Ed Sep 23, 2011, 08:52 yuastnav

BurntSoul wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 17:00:
Okay, for Diablo 3 to be an FPS? No F'n way, the guy is trolling for controversy. However, I do like the idea of a NetHack game in an FPS. In other words, give me the RPG elements. But also give me a completely random maps to cover. Also, I'd like to randomly create the map/dungeon/castle based on specific things like Dungeon Hack. Will I need food to survive, or not? More or Less creatures per level of dungeon? How many levels down? How large of a map can I create on the fly? Which tileset(s) to use? How much magic? Permadeath or not? You get what I mean. Finally, bring on the option for co-op gaming as well as single player and I'm good. Bonus? LAN only play and Dedicated server files, of course

Something like nethack or dungeon crawl doesn't really work with coop.

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Sep 23, 2011, 08:14 yuastnav

I bought Alpha Protocol during the summer sale and was very excited during the Tutorial.
However the further I progressed the less I wanted to play it. I didn't get very far and I'm not sure whether I'm still going to play it but that maybe because I expected too much of it.
What I thought it would be I'd now describe as a mixture of Deus Ex 1 and Deus Ex 3 but boy was I wrong.
It was my fault, though, since it said nowhere that there's an open world.
The gameplay mechanics weren't that great, either. The hacking stuff was cool but whenever I tried the sneaking part I wished that it'd be more like Splinter Cell (at least like Splinter Cell 1 or Splinter Cell 3).

News Comments > Diablo III DRM Problems
85. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 23, 2011, 07:48 yuastnav

Prez wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 20:50:
[...]
Just a personal observation here - It seems like some of the Blizzard faithful are going out of their way to rationalize this nonsense to themselves so that they feel less like tools for buying into Blizzard's bullshit here. [...]

Also known as the Stockholm Syndrome. Kinda.
Well, at least they're not the only ones.

AnointedSword wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 19:40:
[...]
Interesting point of view. So you believe that taxing the rich until they cannot afford to pay for more employees is the better way to create jobs? [...]
Good to see that the clowns have not died out yet. A lot of fun is guaranteed to be had by some of us, at least for the time being.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2011, 07:58.

News Comments > Why No Commander in Battlefield 3
27. Re: Why No Commander in Battlefield 3 Sep 23, 2011, 07:38 yuastnav

So basically DICE failed where Unknown Worlds and S2 Games, among others, succeeded.
Why exactly didn't DICE pursue it further? Did they decide that to implement something like that is too complicated for their little heads?
We may never know!

News Comments > IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3
43. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 05:54 yuastnav

Ventura wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 22:14:
I get the impression that there'd be a thread full of people saying how stupid this guy was no matter what he'd said here.
[...]
It's human nature to hate on the extremely successful.
[...]

I have to assume you have some hard evidence to back that up. Sorry, "everyone knows that DUUUH" is not an argument.

Ventura wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 22:14:
[...]
Like CoD or hate it, shit games don't break sales records every year.

Your ability to underestimate people's demand for cheap and brainless entertainment is astounding. And I am sure that "Enter the matrix" was such an exceptionally good and awesome game. After all, it sold 2.3 million copies so it has to be good!!!1!
And look at those games that didn't sell well at all, like Beyond Good & Evil or Vampire Bloodlines. Those must be pieces of crap because the Troika even went bankrupt!

So yes, even shit games break sales records, every year. Because people will consume: as long as it's dumb, cheap and mindless entertainment they will consume it.
Every dictator knows that.

News Comments > Minecraft to End Endermen Block Theft
5. Re: Minecraft to End Endermen Block Theft Sep 21, 2011, 04:45 yuastnav

Well, I guess it's better that way because the guys I play with disabled the mobs on our server because of that.
What a bunch of weaklings. D:

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC ~Five Hours
22. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC ~Five Hours Sep 20, 2011, 07:51 yuastnav

^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 18:53:
Agreed.

Whenever I hear people bitch about DLC costing $10, I like to remind them that the lunch that gave them the runs for four days cost more, and gave far less.

^D^

And when you hear people bitch about DLC costing $10 who don't spend that much on lunch and actually have a pleasant meal you quietly go away?

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed Sep 18, 2011, 13:43 yuastnav

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 18, 2011, 09:16:
[...] visualize [...] EM radiation, [...]

You can visualise electromagnetic radiation. It's called "sight" and you do it with your eyes and there is a spectrum of about 300 nanometres of electromagnetic radiation you can visualise.

[...] Human biology is incredible inferior to even most basic technology we have developed. [...]

Please, show me the technology that can regenerate itself and has a competent immune system that always tries to adapt to battle the diseases it is subjected to.

[...] If technology could actually extend human senses, as in, give us entirely *new* senses [...]

Are the 10+ senses we already have not enough for us? What else do you want?

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2011, 13:49.

News Comments > Cities In Motion Expansion, Patch, and New Demo Released
5. Re: Cities In Motion Expansion, Patch, and New Demo Released Sep 15, 2011, 05:55 yuastnav

I was mildly curious about that game because it looked like it could be fun but I was put off by the review on RockPaperShotgun.
At first I thought it was going to be like TransportTycoon/OpenTTD but it looks like it's much more limited.
I loved OpenTTD (and still play it sometimes) but I'm not sure whether this one is for me. Recommendations?

[edit]
Okay, this sounds a bit unfair: Cities in Motion is limited in the sense that you can only transport people inside a city (at least as far as I know) but it's a much more detailed process whereas TT is more macro- than micromanagement.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Ships 2M
59. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Ships 2M Sep 11, 2011, 11:49 yuastnav

Zoom wrote on Sep 11, 2011, 08:29:
yuastnav wrote on Sep 10, 2011, 05:14:
M for Mega, however, is a prefix and just stands for 10^3 which is perfectly fine.
Someone skipped classes on metric...
[...]

1k = 1 kilo = 1E3 = 10^3 = 1000
1M = 1 Mega = 1E6 = 10^6 = 1000000
1G = 1 Giga = 1E9 = 10^9 = 1000000000
1T = 1 Tera = 1E12 = 10^12 = 1000000000000
1P = 1 Peta = 1E15 = 10^15 = 1000000000000000

[...]
So you're going to completely disregard my other post?
Fine, be a republican douchebag.

56. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Ships 2M Sep 10, 2011, 06:07 yuastnav

Raptor wrote on Sep 10, 2011, 05:23:
Worst DXHR related discussion thread ever !

Stolk wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 14:56:
M vs. Roman Numeral M. So this is the type of argument we get here when a game comes out that runs great and works great on the PC.

54. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Ships 2M Sep 10, 2011, 05:14 yuastnav

It would be strange to mix Roman and Arabic numerals.
Something like 2M would make no sense, you'd need to use MM.
In fact I've never seen that those two are being used simultaneously as it does not make any sense.
M for Mega, however, is a prefix and just stands for 10^6 which is perfectly fine.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2011, 11:48.

704 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo