Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 779 (Graduate)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 Launches
16. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 Launches Oct 4, 2014, 06:06 yuastnav

I'd really like to explore the galaxy but I'm not sure whether the Sidewinder is the right ship for that.

They did a wipe, right? I remember having over 20000 credits but when I played it yesterday (shortly before the server crashed or something) I had only 1000 again and it takes a long time to get enough money to buy new ships (although surprisingly there were more quests and even a couple which gave 10000+ credits).

There is going to be another wipe before final release, right? I figured in that case it's no use to go trade the whole time but to get a bit of money and try out different things, like upgrades, weapons etc. and go explore.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Delayed
16. Re: Pillars of Eternity Delayed Oct 3, 2014, 08:10 yuastnav

Meh, I'm playing and enjoying Wasteland 2, I can wait.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 28, 2014, 13:20 yuastnav

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 27, 2014, 22:39:
Is this the open source security apocalypse? These things are used by billion $ corporations and they don't audit them first? What the actual hell.

btw, on my Android tablet with Cyanogen mod 11 nightly the vuln also exists. Gonna need an update too heh...

Audit? What do you mean by that?
You don't have a checklist of ALL possible ways you can attack something because it's up to the fantasy of attacker to find a new way. Of course there are specifications for how secure something should be but that doesn't mean that it's bulletproof, open source or not.
You are actually lucky that you can read about it BECAUSE it's open source. Do you think every company that writes closed source software discloses every vulnerability it ever had that was (not) patched?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 24, 2014, 14:18 yuastnav

I will never understand people's fascination with Gnome.

I use e19. If I didn't have that I'd use KDE. Or fluxbox. Or something like that.

Gnome... Why??? D: D: D:

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 18, 2014, 14:20 yuastnav

Cutter wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 10:45:
Ok, really. All this PC shit going on of late really, really, really, really, really, really needs to stop.

“Gaming has become kind of xenophobic, and almost rightly so, because people want to protect their own and ‘keep it within the family,’” Conn said. “But I don’t think that should mean that we can’t grow either. It seems like there are a lot of people who resist even the idea that a lot of culture isn’t exactly the most friendly to women or gays or queer people in general. But there are small changes that I think won’t affect most people—that won’t harm the culture of gaming—but will make a lot of other people feel a lot better and more welcome and accepted.”

Yeah, we get it already. We've got it for decades now. If we're white heterosexual males we're monsters oppressing everyone else and making their lives a living hell. Well, I guess we may as well go out and join the Klan and Nazi parties in that case seeing as we're all so evil to begin with. Woops, the Satanists too. Musn't forget that we have to join the Church of Satan as well.

You know, that's how you interpret it.
I'm not free from sin but somehow when I read something like that I don't feel guilty because I don't feel spoken to, even though I'm a heterosexual white male.
It speaks volumes that you always get pissed off about these things, as if it hits too close to home. How many skeletons do you hide in your closet?

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
9. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 15, 2014, 10:37 yuastnav

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 10:33:
http://www.p4rgaming.com/mojang-prepares-to-make-kinect-sports-games/

When I read the article I had to check the date to make sure it's not April the 1st 'cause it damn sure reads like it is.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Launch Pricing and Preorder Bonus
61. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Pricing and Preorder Bonus Sep 13, 2014, 16:18 yuastnav

So I finally decided to buy this game and started playing it a few minutes ago. My first Elite game. Am playing with mouse and keyboard and I managed to dock properly on my very first try. Yay. Feel so proud.
I do have a Thrustmaster T.16000 but I'm not sure whether I am going to use it.

By the way, what key do I use when I'm in a sub-menu (like in the menu where you request docking permission) and I want to go back?

Edit:
And is there a way to use the mouse inside the cockpit? For example in the X games you can press a button which detaches the mouse from steering the ship and gives you a mouse cursor so you can click around.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
10. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 12, 2014, 03:07 yuastnav

So is that how it works nowadays? If you don't like what someone has to say you just call him a troll and basically try to kill all discussion because you don't want to admit you're wrong?  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 11:58 yuastnav

Yes people, please whine even more. Your tears are delicious.

And before anyone says anything: Instead of writing something constructive I decided to continue on the level set by the lovely people who posted before me.

News Comments > Sims 4 Pirate Copies Pixelated
27. Re: Sims 4 Pirate Copies Pixelated Sep 4, 2014, 16:02 yuastnav

Meh, I picked up Sims 3 during one of the last Steam sales and played it for a bit. I actually liked it.
What intrigues me about games like these is the simulation underneath. You shape the world in some way and try to control the lives of your sims but the interesting part is watching how everything plays out. I have the same fascination with Dwarf Fortress.
Unfortunately the algorithms that drive the sims in the Sims games aren't that sophisticated and it doesn't seem like it's the focus of the devs.

News Comments > Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Video
3. Re: Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Video Sep 3, 2014, 07:56 yuastnav

Yeah, Nexus: The Jupiter incident is awesome. I never finished the game, though, even though I started it like three times or so and every time I got a little further.
Hmm, same thing happened to me with Fallout: Tactics, now that I think about it.

GSB2 looks as boring as the other Gratuitous games.

News Comments > The Sims 4 and Patch Released
13. Re: The Sims 4 and Patch Released Sep 3, 2014, 07:53 yuastnav

JSP wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 07:20:
[...]
In addition, no 64-bit support (usable RAM still limited to 3.5 Gb)

Are you serious? Was this game made in the 90s or something?

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 19:12 yuastnav

I'm still curious, what was the reason to use the CryEngine for this game? I thought that a space sim would require its own engine more than any other genre.  

News Comments > Op Ed
244. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2014, 19:34 yuastnav

Yes, this is semantics but in this case it is important because to me a study is a peer-reviewed publication. As far as I know this was the case when it came to the video game violence debate (however flawed the review process may have been; also I may remember this not correctly) but in this case it is just a series of videos that may serve as an educational resource but is in no way scientific.
Textbooks are not necessarily scientific, at least that has been my experience a few times. Hell, look at creationism and intelligent design.

News Comments > Op Ed
240. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2014, 18:54 yuastnav

It's still not the same because she doesn't claim it's a study.
Although I agree that the thought that media influences your behaviour and thinking has merit.

News Comments > Op Ed
236. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2014, 17:38 yuastnav

Or it could be that these are two completely different issues.

On one hand you had so-called studies which tried to link violence to video games.
On the other hand you have someone focusing on a specific trope and pointing out a number of video games which use this trope. Not a study. And is not trying to say that video games lead to sexist behaviour.

I don't really get the comparison with Jack Thompson.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
14. Re: Saturday Previews Aug 31, 2014, 09:39 yuastnav

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 30, 2014, 17:16:
A flight simulator in space just feels outright wrong. Why are so many space games so flawed?

Yeah, I always want to have as much realism as possible sensible in a video game but then I tried "Babylon 5: I've found her" and this one other free multiplayer game from Microsoft, forgot its name...
Anyway, flying without an atmosphere slowing you down and constantly battling against inertia is so damn tiring. Dogfighting in a space simulation doesn't make any sense whatsoever but the alternative is just utterly tedious.

News Comments > Op Ed
196. Re: Op Ed Aug 30, 2014, 19:13 yuastnav

Looks like someone has replaced ASeven by a bot that posts links.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
73. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 20:24 yuastnav

Cpmartins wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 20:14:
[...]
The only video I linked was to Anita's one.

It would be nice? Why'd it be nice? So every writer out there should include both sexes in relevant positions because that'd "be nice?". And here we come to the problem don't we. I don't want people to be nice. I want them to be good. If someone makes a game about a woman murdering every single men out there for her own enjoyment I wouldn't try to tell them that's wrong. I just maybe wouldn't buy it (who knows, it may be a good enough game, and I might even do buy it), and move on. I don't believe for one second anyone would be influenced by it and would start showing misandry towards men because of it. And that's the whole point in anita's videos. She told us barefaced that the games ARE influencing us. I don't know about you, but I am no sheep.

First of all, you will be influenced. But I am nit-picking because I am not saying that you will be influenced in any noteworthy way. But we're all always influenced by the media we consume, regardless of how much it changes. Again, just nit-picking.

One problem with what you described is is that sexism (and racism etc.) is asymmetric. Historically speaking women were suppressed and that's why a game about a woman murdering men wouldn't be as problematic as the opposite.
Remember that you are circling out one group, one particular group, for whatever messed up reason you thought out. If it's a guy killing black dudes, it's racist. If it's a guy killing women, it's sexist. Women and black people were thought of as less worth and by making a game about something like that you are reinforcing that reasoning and giving it the merit it doesn't have.
As far as I understand that is a cultural thing, though. A friend told me that in Denmark people are much more open to homophobic and racist jokes and what not but that's probably because it's perceived differently.
If we were all completely unprejudiced and rational beings then having a game where a guy killed women or a women killed men would be no problem because we could shrug it off. But if we were that unprejudiced why would such a game even exist; where would it come from, what would be the source or the initial frame of reference for that idea? Only because it can?
I'm not sure about that.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
71. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 20:10 yuastnav

Redmask wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 19:54:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 19:34:
Of course you need a means to get your point across. Like Anita. Though it looks like that she's not really useful as a vehicle for that since she has lost a lot of credibility.
Yes, her reasons may be selfish but rape threats? Come on. This is some fucked up stuff right there.

A dishonest message from people with questionable motives does no one any good. The fact that you would accept something blindly simply because it might have some lofty moral purpose in a very narrow context is troubling. As for these rape threats, I'd suggest you take a closer look at the evidence and decide if they're legitimate or not without just taking her word for it. She isn't even garnering these in actual games from gamers but instead through anonymous sources on twitter.

Who said that I accepted it blindly? I was of the opinion that a number of video games are sexist long before she even made her video. Her video just reinforced my believes because I saw that I wasn't the only one who thinks like that.
The problems that I have with her is that I don't agree with all the examples and that I don't how much of what she said is true and how much is a lie. Which links to another problem, i.e. her motives are suspect.
I thought that she might be on to something, that it could open up the discussion but I am not so sure anymore.

I have to admit that, also based on the problems I have outlined above, I didn't watch her latest videos and didn't follow what happened outside of that. That's also the reason why, when discussing this topic, I tried to make as few references to her as possible. Just because I don't know much about what's going at the moment. Same thing with Zoe.
What's important to me is the message, that there is sexism in video games, in the video games industry, in the tech industry etc. and that's what I'm concerned about.

What I will accept is that I was too quick to judge when the threats came in but that's because I take that seriously. Talking about morality on such a hypothetical level is one thing, spreading awareness about practical problems another but threats? Imagine it's real. It will really shake you up, especially on something that's so controversial. Religion and politics are not the only constructs that breed extremists.
So you may call me out on the fact that I was too gullible when I believed that the threat was true but I will stand by that. For now. There are a lot of fucked up people out there.

It would be sad to see if that was completely manufactured.

[edit]
I am also jaded by real life experiences with seemingly smart people. I've talked to enough people and I've also witnessed enough situations where sexism was blatant. Often it's the same as with racism. If you call it out you'll hear "What? Me, a racist/sexist? No way!" People get defensive. And by calling it out I don't meant that I called them assholes or insulted that. Just comments like "Hey, you said/did that. Don't you think that was sexist? Here's a logical explanation why I think that way."
Add anonymity to that and what you get most of the time are trolls. If the person in question is more radical/extreme you got a problem.

779 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo