Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 755 (Graduate)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Interviews
44. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 16:38 yuastnav

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 15:59:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 09:14:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 01:52:
[...] This is politics,[...]

It is not.

What is it then, oh wise gatekeeper of interpretations?

The difference is between what you are and what you chose to be. Your gender, sex, sexual preference and origin is something that you do not chose, it's who you are. Your political stance, your religion etc. is something that you can willingly and freely change.
If someone brings up something like religion in video games then yeah, just ignore it, it really doesn't matter. The same is not true for sexism. If someone is mistreated based on something that that person has no control over then it becomes a problem that should affect everyone and shouldn't be ignored. This is related to the concept of society and human traits like empathy.
In the end it comes down to morality but if someone's stance is "I don't care about sexism/racism/etc., I just want to play my video games." then that person is a fucking arsehole and a poor excuse for a human being. But that's just my personal moral stance. I think Daniel Dennett partly refers to that as being a member of the Moral Agents' Club

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Interviews
28. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 09:14 yuastnav

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 01:52:
[...] This is politics,[...]

It is not.

News Comments > etc., etc.
32. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2014, 18:28 yuastnav

jdreyer wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 16:43:
[...]
I think it's fairly realistic that the water vapor in the cockpit would condense and freeze on the windows once you go into stealth mode and shut down the cockpit heating. That's just physics.
[...]

It's actually not. The temperature in the cockpit doesn't get lower since there's nowhere for the heat to go to.

29. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2014, 14:42 yuastnav

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 14:38:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 14:08:
So my conclusion is that what happened in the video is actually scientifically not possible or highly exaggerated.

It's a video game made so you can have fun, yes... it is highly exaggerated. It's visual feedback for when you are in stealth.

I'm not saying it's not cool. I was just curious whether this part of the simulation was true or not.

24. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2014, 14:11 yuastnav

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 14:06:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 13:49:
I quickly scanned their forums and what I found out was that it's sort of an instanced MMO with up to 32 players simultaneously fighting, though I'm not sure what it's actually like since the only instanced MMO that I played was Global Agenda.
Unless if you mean the distress zones where you go to fight the whole game is basically a living breathing sandbox with live players and Ai mixed all together.
The distress zones are where you go to choose your side and fight against Ai and players of the opposite faction.
Those areas are great for grinding for cash but you have to be careful even your own faction player can turn against you. It is a PvP area with no police present. Anything goes.

Aside from that I am not aware of a MP only arena type game mode (doesn't mean there isn't one). I have to admit though I haven't been playing it much lately life has been kicking my ass.

Thanks for the explanation! Unfortunately I'm also too busy with real life, so I won't be getting the game, most likely, but I'm definitely looking forward to the release since it sounds awesome.

23. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2014, 14:08 yuastnav

Cutter wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 13:54:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 13:34:
Heh, I was kinda bothered by how the glass froze since I'm not sure whether this is actually scientifically possible.
Though I guess not everything has to be absolutely realistic for it to be a simulation (I'm talking about stuff that's known to be true or false, not science fiction things like allegedly ftl travel).

Sure it's possible, it's thermodynamics. That would be condensation from inside the ship as the ship's temperature reaches equilibrium with the space around it. Ever see Apollo 13? Space is cold, man. You can freeze your nips off out there.

The problem is that space is almost a vacuum and doesn't really have a temperature since temperature is related to particle movement and there are only, if I remember correctly, a few atoms per cubic meter in space, if not less. From my understanding space is a very good insulator. Reaching an equilibrium with space wouldn't be possible, in this case, since you would not be able to exchange heat with space by conduction or convection, only by radiation.
Losing heat by radiation, however, isn't a fast process, certainly not as fast as shown in the E:D video.
So my conclusion is that what happened in the video is actually scientifically not possible or highly exaggerated.

Now concerning the Apollo 13 mission I google quickly and found this thread and the answer seems to be in post #11 and further explained in post #13.

20. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2014, 13:49 yuastnav

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 13:41:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 13:34:
I assume that the E:D multiplayer isn't like a FPS Eve
It actually is kind of like that
All the ships flying around you are a mix of players and Ai. The only way to know if they are players or Ai is to target them and if the pilot name come up as Cmdr they are player controlled.

So I'd say if you liked the way EVE works with the different security level systems and you never know if you get ambushed by pirates as you approach a station or being chased down by police for carrying illegal goods in your cargo etc., you will love Elite.

I have to admit that I never played EVE but was always fascinated by it (I never played real MMOs, Planetside 2 was my first one). What you described sounds interesting, though.

I quickly scanned their forums and what I found out was that it's sort of an instanced MMO with up to 32 players simultaneously fighting, though I'm not sure what it's actually like since the only instanced MMO that I played was Global Agenda.

18. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2014, 13:34 yuastnav

Heh, I was kinda bothered by how the glass froze since I'm not sure whether this is actually scientifically possible.
Though I guess not everything has to be absolutely realistic for it to be a simulation (I'm talking about stuff that's known to be true or false, not science fiction things like allegedly ftl travel).

So is it worth getting E:D right now? How's the multiplayer?
I stayed away from Star Citizen because the monetisation model looked dodgy as hell to me, coupled with it using the CryEngine and only allowing only a handful of players per server (afaik).
I assume that the E:D multiplayer isn't like a FPS Eve (which would be cool, though) but is it still like an open-world thing with quests/missions or more of an arena-type shooter thing?

16. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2014, 13:23 yuastnav

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

Anyway, I've never played an Elite game and after the disappointment that was X: Rebirth the new Elite Dangerous looks like an interesting game. I have a hard time right now convincing myself to wait for the final release and not get the game right now. :p

12. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2014, 05:18 yuastnav

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 21:14:
Here the straight youtube link for people who don't ever click on Kotaku
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbaLJTGHkj8

Wow, thank you very much.

I always wonder why people post links to videosift etc. instead of to the original site, like youtube.

News Comments > Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming
115. Re: Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming Aug 24, 2014, 16:42 yuastnav

Mad Max RW wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 13:58:
[...]
You come in crying about people saying "social justice warrior" as a pejorative to end a conversation, [...]

That's because only kids on 4chan use that term in an actually serious manner.

It's getting ridiculous, I have to keep myself from laughing everyone uses "social justice warrior" with seriousface=on.
"true SJW?" What? Do you even hear how ridiculous that sounds? The only intention of that term is to shut down any discussion by regressing to calling the other party names.

Prez wrote on Aug 23, 2014, 14:46:
Hell, any time even Jade Raymond is mentioned here the conversation turns to her looks, and then it turns to at least one person saying she's unqualified and only got where she got for sleeping her way there.

Very true. In fairness, it's hard not to mention her looks because of how pretty she is but personally I don't doubt her qualifications at all. I think it's awesome a beautiful lady is involved the videogames industry and has rose to a high position. In such a male-heavy industry it's great to see. She is an excellent role model for other women and she seemingly does her job with class despite the boorishness.

You really don't get, it do you.
"Focusing on her appearance instead of her achievements in the industry is kind of a problem."
"Yeah but... she's so hot."
"m("

Verno wrote on Aug 23, 2014, 17:22:
[...]
They really should be throwing her to the wolves, she is setting back female oriented outreach in the gaming industry by years and not making the press look good either. [...]

I never quite understood that argument. It's like there is this whole, foreign species called "females" that we don't understand and we don't know whether we want them in our gaming industry. So if one of them falls out of line that means that "yep, we're not sure whether we really can have women in the industry because they're not actually able to do anything and will probably just sleep themselves upwards since the shortcoming of one woman means the whole sex is like that". Guess who that doesn't happen to. You guessed right, men. (I realise that it's actually the opposite case when it comes to other things, like domestic violence, where it's biased against men; but only because it's unjust in one field doesn't mean we should behave like that in all other fields. You never get anywhere with that kind of attitude and you look like a stupid kid who's doing it just out of spite.)
Here's a crazy thought, I know it may sound ridiculous but bear with me: how about you look at a person as a human being first and a woman (or man) second? If someone has the qualifications and can make videogames, let them. Is that person male or female? Don't give a shit.

News Comments > Crytek to Repair Reputation with "Really High Quality Games"
10. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 19, 2014, 09:52 yuastnav

Far Cry was good. Then they introduced mutants and it went downhill. Never made a good game after that (at least not in my opinion). Although I have to admit that I only played Far Cry and the first Crysis. The other Crysis games didn't look particularly interesting after the bore that was Crysis 1.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 15, 2014, 13:17 yuastnav

Blindly trust your government. What could possibly go wrong?  

News Comments > Op Ed
103. Re: Op Ed Jul 26, 2014, 17:58 yuastnav

This whole business of blocking someone because you got really emotional over something that person said is silly.
Come on people, you have a perfectly functioning brain. You can read something someone said and then decide on the fly whether you want to just dismiss it outright or further think about it.
It's not that you can actually get dumber by reading something.

I understand blocking someone because of spam, which I rarely see here, but because of opinions?

News Comments > Op Ed
92. Re: Op Ed Jul 25, 2014, 11:19 yuastnav

Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 09:41:
If you're gullible enough to think Beamer and jdreyer are sincere then you're as worthless as they are.

You know what? I'll make it easier for you. Since my opinion is more or less congruent with theirs you can probably just put me on your ignore list, too.
Saves you the trouble of actually reading and thinking about opinions different from yours. Why discuss anything when you can fling around terms like "social justice warrior", something I'd have rather expected from kids on 4chan.

Yes, nationwide demonstrations against sexism in video games might be too much but it's still a problem and I cannot fathom why this article is such a problem for most users here.

News Comments > Op Ed
89. Re: Op Ed Jul 25, 2014, 08:45 yuastnav

Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 19:43:
jdreyer, has pretending to be a feminist social justice warrior ever succeeded in getting you laid? Do you go through this same routine in real life?

Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 20:13:
I'm assuming the resident social justice warrior underneath me just said another one of his weak retorts. Having him on ignore is so nice.

It will never cease to amaze me watching these lonely people preach from the safety of their ivory tower penthouses, latching onto the weekly "equality" bandwagon just to troll video game websites with their nonsense. That's why the Beamers and the jdreyers of the world act the way they do. They are lonely.

m(

Please, just stop. I'm embarrassed for both of us.

News Comments > Trine Enchanted Edition
2. Re: Trine Enchanted Edition Jul 24, 2014, 11:19 yuastnav

I hope they start working on Trine 3 soon.
With a name like that you gotta make it a trilogy.

News Comments > Op Ed
78. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2014, 07:38 yuastnav

Redmask wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 07:15:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 05:30:
You didn't even read the article, did you. How can you say she's OVERstating the case? She's describing ACTUAL events that happened to her and others. How is that OVERstating? Look, I get it. You want nuance, subtlety, reasoned debate. Well, let me welcome you to the real world. That's not what works. What works is in-your-face smashing of biases and forcing change on people.

Of course no one has ever overstated an issue or used extreme examples to make a point. Forget reasoned debate, how about any at all? The moment someone brings up something here they are immediately pounced on as if they are 'against women' and there is only one true view. The article won't even open for comments. Yeah its hard for me to take this more serious, I've been to countries where violence against women is a very immediate and serious problem in a way that not only interferes with day to day life but actually made you feel morally obligated to help. Guilt trip Tumblresque posts preaching to the choir on a Macbook while sitting at Starbucks? Not so much.

Sexism comes in many forms. On one hand you do have places where violence against women etc. is a daily occurrence but on the other hand there are so called civilized community which, from the point of view of the law, have equality when it comes to gender but where "casual" sexism is still very prevalent. The only way to change that kind of behaviour is to point it out and to educate people from a young age.

After reading the article I am at a loss why so many of you find it so upsetting, as if it was attacking you personally.

News Comments > Risen 3 Goes Back to Piranha Bytes' Roots
2. Re: Risen 3 Goes Back to Piranha Bytes' Roots Jul 23, 2014, 19:29 yuastnav

PB please, let it go.
Gothic is still my favourite game of all time but it's time to move on...

News Comments > Op Ed
43. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 17:07 yuastnav

TheEmissary wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 14:52:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 14:45:
1960s: Those people that write about racial inequality should just shut up already. Constantly writing about it won't do anything.

It should be talked about but not at the expense of ignoring other similar issues. There is lot of discrimination and harassment in general that needs to be sorted out. It isn't like women are the only groups getting harassed. Its just one of the more visual groups.

The tech industry discriminates against people based on age quite a lot and other industries have there other biases.

So would you go to, say, a demonstration against the war in Vietnam and tell the people to stop protesting because hey, all wars are bad and you shouldn't just protest against this one but against wars in general.
I mean, I get the point, but the point seems kind of ridiculous.

Of course all harassment is bad but sometimes you have to focus to get your message across clearly.

755 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo