Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 749 (Apprentice)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com
34. Re: Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com Mar 28, 2012, 08:36 yuastnav

Asmo wrote on Mar 27, 2012, 17:53:
yuastnav wrote on Mar 27, 2012, 14:53:
So, what's the deal with Legend of Grimrock?
I never played Dungeon Master but judging from the pictures/videos I saw of Legend of Grimrock it looks kinda neat. Recommendations?

I'm a huge fan of the genre (first person party based dungeon crawl) and it looks like the Grimrock guys have done a fair amount of work to bring the old magic of titles like Dungeon Master to a modern format.

If you like a good dungeon hack, 12 bucks isn't a hell of an investment.

Thanks for the input!

Not sure what to expect but I just figured 'what the hell' and preordered it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com
18. Re: Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com Mar 27, 2012, 14:53 yuastnav

So, what's the deal with Legend of Grimrock?
I never played Dungeon Master but judging from the pictures/videos I saw of Legend of Grimrock it looks kinda neat. Recommendations?

News Comments > GTA5 Details Leaked?
12. Re: GTA5 Details Leaked? Mar 26, 2012, 10:58 yuastnav

bhcompy wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 10:35:
[...]
GTA isn't the kind of game I want to play on a computer screen with a mouse and keyboard. I'm happier playing games like GTA, God of War, MLB The Show, etc on a console sitting on my couch with a controller. [...]

Good for you.
I'd take the PC over consoles any time, for all of these games. Apart from that I'd not even bother.

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 10:37:
[...]
I'm as much a PC guy as anyone else, I also have a PS3 for games that are clearly made with a console in mind. Mass Effect being a prime example of this, what good are higher resolutions when the game plays like ass on the pc? Seems pretty counter intuitive just to play it on a desktop pc rather than a 360/PS3 pc.

Incidentally I just started playing Mass Effect and I couldn't even imagine playing it with anything else than Mouse/Keyboard or on anything else than a PC. It seems completely unreasonable to me.

News Comments > Project Cars Trailer
1. Re: Project Cars Trailer Mar 26, 2012, 10:26 yuastnav

Does anyone here play it?
How is it coming along?

News Comments > GTA5 Details Leaked?
4. Re: GTA5 Details Leaked? Mar 26, 2012, 10:25 yuastnav

bhcompy wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 10:20:
[...] PC gamer through and through, but GTA is the type of game that's better on a console.

That's not what a real PC gamer would say, though. :p

News Comments > Linux and OS X Wasteland 2 Funded
15. Re: Linux and OS X Wasteland 2 Funded Mar 23, 2012, 20:57 yuastnav

venomhed wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 20:37:
FUCk this is a waste of time.

Linux and OSX? Just tell them to Boot camp their systems, save the money and time for the PC. Linux hates games and Mac's don't care either.

What can I say.
Wear your troll badge with dishonour.

News Comments > Linux and OS X Wasteland 2 Funded
9. Re: Linux and OS X Wasteland 2 Funded Mar 23, 2012, 16:49 yuastnav

Dev wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 15:14:
They've setup Paypal now to take payments. So the people who were complaining about not taking paypal, well its here now.

Done!

Sadly I never played Wasteland but I'm really psyched because they make a Linux version!
Besides, if it really is the successor to one of my favourite games then it's gotta be good!

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale Mar 23, 2012, 12:02 yuastnav

Dev wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 20:47:
New coupons yay!
Oh wait, they are only good for about 10 days. Yawn. Probably just a valve experiment and the titles that are getting coupons are unlikely to have a big sale at the same time.
[...]

Apart from 2 AC:Revelations coupons I also got one that takes 75% off EVE Online: Crucible, which brings that game down to 1.70 (since it's already on sale). :p

News Comments > Notch's Space Adventure Plans
9. Re: Notch's Space Adventure Plans Mar 18, 2012, 15:17 yuastnav

Wildone wrote on Mar 18, 2012, 13:48:
gawddd graphics from 1995..I appreciate the effort but fck me this is 2012..every other genre has been gobbed with next gen visuals & mechanics except space games/sims.

Yeah, I never heard of Egosoft either.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near
76. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 17, 2012, 08:43 yuastnav

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 21:28:
Wasteland 2 gets funded after a 20 year wait and gamers celebrate by arguing the merits of payment processing systems.

[...]

Well of course. I want to support this since the result may be a Linux version of the game but since they do not accept PayPal there is no way for me to do so. :/

Dev mentioned prepaid cards however I don't remember ever seeing any in stores. Maybe I have to look harder.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May?
41. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 14:53 yuastnav

Beamer wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 14:42:
Creston wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 11:36:
wtf_man wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 11:04:
Creston wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 10:52:
I love the Elder Scrolls series, but for an MMO it seems to be about as generic a fantasy world as you can get...

Creston

Actually, Arena (The first TES Game) featured all the provinces of Tamriel, and it's fairly diverse. I would imagine that an MMO would feature all the provinces as well.

In Arena, the provinces were an empty flat stretch of land with an occasional village on it. That's not going to cut it anymore in an MMO. People now want eye candy.

Somehow I doubt Bethesda would build every province of Tamriel for an MMO if they have to give it the same level of detail as Oblivion/Skyrim. It'd take them 20 years.

Creston

It'd also ruin any surprise in future single player games, as you'd already explored the region. Part of the fun is learning a new area.

[...]

Yeah, this is one of the things that is most bothersome.

Furthermore I'd hate to miss out on any interesting lore that might come up since I cannot justify playing MMOs. :/

22. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 11:40 yuastnav

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 11:37:
Just make a Skyrim Multiplayer Expansion ala Red Dead Redemption?
It's not so much about making a MMO, the sandbox is already there, just let run servers so multiple people can play in it at the same time.

If you disregard that something like that is nowhere near as simple as that.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near
13. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 11:34 yuastnav

Techie714 wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 11:00:
[...]
It's 15.00 I mean seriously even if you dont like his previous work at least put in to show you support this new model.

I would, if they supported PayPal.
Backing is kind of impossible without a credit card.

[edit - Corrected for clarification.]

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2012, 11:47.

17. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 11:32 yuastnav

... no  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Mar 11, 2012, 21:41 yuastnav

Well, betrayal is an inherent human attribute.
In the end it just shows that you better not trust anyone, ever. Can never be too careful.

*shrug* There are more where they came from anyway. Though we will probably not hear about the most clever ones.

News Comments > Indie Royale's Alpha Collection #1
2. Re: Indie Royale's Alpha Collection #1 Feb 24, 2012, 05:47 yuastnav

Bought 3079 last year. This game has real potential and it was fun while I was playing it, although I probably have not seen all the content.  

News Comments > Reign of Thunder Announced
27. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 22, 2012, 09:02 yuastnav

Jerykk wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 05:16:
Not all conflicts can be won with just cruise missiles, and if the legs were sufficiently armored, a tank with two (or more) legs would have a distinct advantage navigating over very uneven terrain over conventional tanks.

I'm not even sure you're being serious with that second paragraph. The phsyics of Japanese Mecha is completely insane, in reality the pilot would either black out or be turned into jelly with some of the maneuvers they pull flying and dancing around.

In realistic terms, both western and Japanese mecha are equally unlikely. A giant, heavy, bipedal robot would be the worst weapon design ever. Big target, high center of gravity, easily crippled, high maintenance... it just wouldn't be practical at all. Hell, a single tank shell to the mech's upper torso would knock it over and it wouldn't be able to get back up. Now, if they could somehow create a Japanese-style mech with the same level of mobility and dexterity, that would be another matter. But like you said, it's physically impossible.

Jets and drones are simply better weapons in all regards. They are much faster, more mobile, harder to hit and can deliver devastating payloads with pinpoint precision.

War is only about one thing: terrorising a country until the government gives in. You can do that wonderfully with power armoured personnel, as demonstrated in Robert A. Heinlein's science fiction book "Starship Troopers". Now think of a mech like a gigantic piece of power armour. It is much better at bringing terror into the hearts of people than a jet could, while being precise enough to do damage to particular points of an area without destroying it completely.
Mechs are also better armoured than jets and drones and can withstand much more damage.
So unlike, for example, mechs are not entirely, completely useless.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 22, 2012, 04:39 yuastnav

KDE has existed long before Ubuntu did.
It is not going aynwhere anytime soon.

I use e17 but if I had to chose between KDE and Gnome I'd definitely stick to Gnome; I just don't think Gnome is very user-friendly - on the contrary: it is rather clunky, though it is faster than KDE.

24. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 21, 2012, 04:51 yuastnav

Jerykk wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 01:05:
Funny, I've always seen it the other way. Japanese mech designs are usually more visually appealing, but western one's (when they're not imitating the East) have a more utilitarian, pragmatic look that I imagine is more likely to appear in reality if such technology ever came into use.

You can't really say that a giant robot with legs is pragmatic. The legs are the weakest part of the machine and their destruction completely cripples it. That's why we're never going to use mechs as weapons. Building a long-range cruise missile is cheaper and more practical.

Japanese mecha would actually be more useful than western mecha, as they typically have incredible mobility and dexterity. Most of them can fly too and turn into some divine super weapon that summons the apocalypse and redefines existence as we know it.

Japanese mecha are ridiculous when it comes to Physics. That dexterity and mobility would be impossible to achieve.

Wildone wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 17:18:
They just look fugly, western robot designs by children. The Japanese always ALWAYS created more realistic and sexier designs, its jut that way. Western mechs are so goofy, chunky card board box designs with big nerf guns on their arms. And the colors..ugh...

Really? I always thought the opposite. Cannot stand the visual design of mechas.
Mechs, on the other hand, are pragmatic.
And let's not talk about realism, this is really, really silly.

4. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 20, 2012, 11:21 yuastnav

Uhm, the things in the trailer looked more like mechas, not mechs.
Mechs are big, slow and clunky; these things are relatively small, fast and the change of momentum is even more physics-defying than usual (just like in any mecha anime - which is ridiculous; even more so when they try to explain it).

No thank you.

749 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo