Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 735 (Apprentice)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Mar 11, 2012, 21:41 yuastnav

Well, betrayal is an inherent human attribute.
In the end it just shows that you better not trust anyone, ever. Can never be too careful.

*shrug* There are more where they came from anyway. Though we will probably not hear about the most clever ones.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Indie Royale's Alpha Collection #1
2. Re: Indie Royale's Alpha Collection #1 Feb 24, 2012, 05:47 yuastnav

Bought 3079 last year. This game has real potential and it was fun while I was playing it, although I probably have not seen all the content.  

News Comments > Reign of Thunder Announced
27. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 22, 2012, 09:02 yuastnav

Jerykk wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 05:16:
Not all conflicts can be won with just cruise missiles, and if the legs were sufficiently armored, a tank with two (or more) legs would have a distinct advantage navigating over very uneven terrain over conventional tanks.

I'm not even sure you're being serious with that second paragraph. The phsyics of Japanese Mecha is completely insane, in reality the pilot would either black out or be turned into jelly with some of the maneuvers they pull flying and dancing around.

In realistic terms, both western and Japanese mecha are equally unlikely. A giant, heavy, bipedal robot would be the worst weapon design ever. Big target, high center of gravity, easily crippled, high maintenance... it just wouldn't be practical at all. Hell, a single tank shell to the mech's upper torso would knock it over and it wouldn't be able to get back up. Now, if they could somehow create a Japanese-style mech with the same level of mobility and dexterity, that would be another matter. But like you said, it's physically impossible.

Jets and drones are simply better weapons in all regards. They are much faster, more mobile, harder to hit and can deliver devastating payloads with pinpoint precision.

War is only about one thing: terrorising a country until the government gives in. You can do that wonderfully with power armoured personnel, as demonstrated in Robert A. Heinlein's science fiction book "Starship Troopers". Now think of a mech like a gigantic piece of power armour. It is much better at bringing terror into the hearts of people than a jet could, while being precise enough to do damage to particular points of an area without destroying it completely.
Mechs are also better armoured than jets and drones and can withstand much more damage.
So unlike, for example, mechs are not entirely, completely useless.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 22, 2012, 04:39 yuastnav

KDE has existed long before Ubuntu did.
It is not going aynwhere anytime soon.

I use e17 but if I had to chose between KDE and Gnome I'd definitely stick to Gnome; I just don't think Gnome is very user-friendly - on the contrary: it is rather clunky, though it is faster than KDE.

24. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 21, 2012, 04:51 yuastnav

Jerykk wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 01:05:
Funny, I've always seen it the other way. Japanese mech designs are usually more visually appealing, but western one's (when they're not imitating the East) have a more utilitarian, pragmatic look that I imagine is more likely to appear in reality if such technology ever came into use.

You can't really say that a giant robot with legs is pragmatic. The legs are the weakest part of the machine and their destruction completely cripples it. That's why we're never going to use mechs as weapons. Building a long-range cruise missile is cheaper and more practical.

Japanese mecha would actually be more useful than western mecha, as they typically have incredible mobility and dexterity. Most of them can fly too and turn into some divine super weapon that summons the apocalypse and redefines existence as we know it.

Japanese mecha are ridiculous when it comes to Physics. That dexterity and mobility would be impossible to achieve.

Wildone wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 17:18:
They just look fugly, western robot designs by children. The Japanese always ALWAYS created more realistic and sexier designs, its jut that way. Western mechs are so goofy, chunky card board box designs with big nerf guns on their arms. And the colors..ugh...

Really? I always thought the opposite. Cannot stand the visual design of mechas.
Mechs, on the other hand, are pragmatic.
And let's not talk about realism, this is really, really silly.

4. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 20, 2012, 11:21 yuastnav

Uhm, the things in the trailer looked more like mechas, not mechs.
Mechs are big, slow and clunky; these things are relatively small, fast and the change of momentum is even more physics-defying than usual (just like in any mecha anime - which is ridiculous; even more so when they try to explain it).

No thank you.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Feb 13, 2012, 05:21 yuastnav

Dev wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 05:12:
Dmitri_M wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 04:30:
What did cliffski do to attract all the criticism. I recall him posting here for a while.
[...]
(as a side note, I seem to recall there also is a different cliffski, perhaps from epic?)

Wasn't his name Cliff Bleszinski?

News Comments > Indie Valentine's Bundle
8. Re: Indie Valentine's Bundle Feb 12, 2012, 14:54 yuastnav

I know, from others and from personal experience, that having an ATI card under Linux is a real pain but NVidia cards work much better since the support is better.
Well, maybe NVidia's support for newer cards is not as good as for older ones, I don't know - I just know that, at least for me, it works really well.

Though it is rather concerning to hear that this is not always the case, even with NVidia. :/

News Comments > Indie Valentine's Bundle
6. Re: Indie Valentine's Bundle Feb 12, 2012, 10:48 yuastnav

killer_roach wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 14:46:
DrEvil wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 12:17:
I have yet to see a reason to not completely ignore the indie royale bundles. Especially due to their early claims about cross-platform possibilities. Humble bundle for the win!

Well, most of the Steam-redeemable stuff works on Mac...

...and no, I refuse to do any gaming on Linux. Video drivers meant for gaming are not ready for prime-time on that platform (hell, they're not ready for just about any time on Linux).

Interesting. My GTX 460 is working like a charm under Debian, for me.

News Comments > Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway
10. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 11, 2012, 20:33 yuastnav

Overon wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 20:17:
I like Tribes Ascend. Thought it's really hard to snipe because there seems to be some bad connection players warping a little bit.

Fixed that for you. :p
As someone who has never played a Tribes game before I find the best way to play the Sentinel is not to sit around (the spawn points) and try to kill everyone but to move constantly and then try to kill the other players from a distance or to try and snipe the flag carrier while chasing him yourself.

News Comments > Steam Breach Follow-up
28. Re: Steam Breach Follow-up Feb 11, 2012, 07:40 yuastnav

zirik wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 07:28:
Dev wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 06:38:
The Backup had data from 2004-2008. Thats NOT the date of the intrusion.

Show me another company that notified within a week of a major hack/data theft incident of what went down and what was taken.

You are also confused about steam. Steam started with counterstrike original, around version 1.5 or 1.6

protip: RTFA, or at least the summary.

i misunderstood the gabe quote. but you are trying to downplay the data theft. they notified us of the forums breach within 4-5 days. not the data theft. and no im not confused about steam, you are. it was only used for downloading updates and patches before half life 2 came out. and it was also optional for counterstrike 1.6. so my question still stands. what transactions are they talking about that dated back to 2004 prior to half life 2 in 2005.

Half Life 2 was released in 2004.

News Comments > F2P Hawken in December; Beta Signups
13. Re: jtw321@gmail.com Feb 7, 2012, 04:53 yuastnav

Razumen wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 23:30:
Parias wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 22:43:
Blackhawk wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 22:35:
I like the idea, and I like the look, but it looks a little too twitchy. It doesn't seem to have the lumbering, walking tank feel, or the careful maneuvering that mech games are known for. It looks almost like Quake with a cockpit.

This is my concern too. It does look neat, but I was hoping for something a bit more... giant robot-ey.

It's certainly not MW, but I don't think you'll be able to do 180s with the flick of the wrist. That's what I hope anyways. So far it's looking like a nice blend between FPS and all out Mecha games.

Personally I don't want a mecha game. I want a [b]real[/b] mech game, something akin to the first MechWarriors.
This is just UT with a fancy HUD; it cannot even be compared to Quake because it is just too slow. And that is how a Mech game should feel like and I obviously did not play Hawken so I cannot say how it is going to feel but it certainly does not look like a mech game.
It is rather disappointing.
Why even bother designing fancy models, terrains and a HUD when it is only going to be your run-of-the-mill shooter anyway?
This is getting more and more disappointing.

News Comments > New Natural Selection 2 Beta; Trailer
11. Re: New Natural Selection 2 Beta; Trailer Feb 3, 2012, 19:10 yuastnav

PHJF wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 13:42:
It seems as if they made it less competitive and fast and more creepy and dark, which was probably what they intended Natural Selection 1 to be.

Until they add "combat" mode.

Well, to be fair: their intention was to make it easier for new players, that is why they added sort of a lite version of the game and that is also the reason why they are not going to add on to Natural Selection 2.

News Comments > etc.
207. Re: etc. Feb 3, 2012, 12:47 yuastnav

RailWizard wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 10:01:
[...] after all, opinions become fact when they outnumber everyone elses, even if it's only in this one tiny corner of reality. [...]

I really hope you are being sarcastic.

News Comments > New Natural Selection 2 Beta; Trailer
3. Re: New Natural Selection 2 Beta; Trailer Feb 3, 2012, 12:38 yuastnav

Oh my, I think pre-orders started in May 2009 or something and the first release date was Fall 2009. Some people even fell for that. :/

Haven't played the game in months, mostly because it wasn't really playable. At first it ran slow because my video card was too old and too slow but after I upgraded I noticed that there were a lot of issues concerning lag and connection problems.

I really loved Natural Selection (probably sunk several thousand hours into it) and the direction they chose for this one is interesting. It seems as if they made it less competitive and fast and more creepy and dark, which was probably what they intended Natural Selection 1 to be.
I guess it will be a good game once they remove all the issues but I'll really miss those 5+ hour games/rounds, though they became rarer after 3.0 came out. :/

News Comments > THQ's Losses
14. Re: THQ's Losses Feb 3, 2012, 12:34 yuastnav

Making Guerilla open world was definitely a good design choice.
Doing the opposite to Armageddon was not.

News Comments > etc.
194. Re: etc. Feb 2, 2012, 14:26 yuastnav

Draugr wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 20:42:
[...]
Now lets looks at child labor (it exists elsewhere, but has been virtually eradicated in America.) [...]

Oh really? :p

News Comments > Tribes Ascend Changes
18. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 2, 2012, 13:55 yuastnav

As much as I am wary of F2P games this one is just too much fun not to play.
The last time I had such a blast playing a multiplayer game was when I played Natural Selection and I think I have spent several thousand hours with that game.
Definitely not going to happen with Tribes Ascend because of a lack of time but this game is just so satisfying and enraging that it is difficult to stop.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 1, 2012, 11:47 yuastnav

Haha, I am just loving the comments in the forums.
"Omg those PC guys always get everything and Console gets nothing although everyone knows that console is best anyway and everyone plays on console blabla."

Riiight.

[edit]
Stuff like this almost borders on trolling.

News Comments > Timothee Besset Leaves id
9. Re: Timothee Besset Leaves id Feb 1, 2012, 02:26 yuastnav

Well, looks like id's Linux days are now finally over.
That much was clear after the release of Rage, though.

735 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo