Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 753 (Graduate)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Beta Imminent
26. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Imminent Jul 31, 2012, 17:02 yuastnav

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 16:57:
It annoys me that I signed up for the beta on the official website as soon as it went live and yet they'd rather give out keys using social marketing sites like Twitter.

I second that sentiment.

Retweeting within 15 seconds while the person has "only" about 700 to 800 followers is apparently to slow. I don't know whether I should have expected that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Imminent Jul 31, 2012, 13:49 yuastnav

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 11:25:
yuastnav wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 11:19:
I don't even have a beta key. :/
They are giving them away 100~150 at a time on Twitter. That's how I got mine, and it required barely anything from me as far as effort goes.

Thanks for the info, didn't know that.

I don't think the chances are very high, however. I don't check for new tweets very often and since I'm in central Europe chances are that I won't be at my computer when the keys are given away.

I guess I should look for a proper Linux client for twitter (since qwit is crashing, for some reason). [edit: well nvm, the incredibly old debian stable client crashes, the newest version (aug 2010) does not.]

In any case, which tiwtter account do I have to bug about this? The onw mentioned in the post or the one called planetside2? I presume the latter.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2012, 13:54.

4. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Imminent Jul 31, 2012, 11:19 yuastnav

Basically this is the only game that I want to play right now and I don't even have a beta key. :/  

News Comments > Microsoft Flight Grounded
1. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 10:39 yuastnav

While Microsoft Flight is a fun game and a step in the right direction concerning usability the decision to make it f2p and the really expensive DLC basically killed this game.

Way to go Microsoft. Way to go.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
17. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 5, 2012, 04:12 yuastnav

Jivaro wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 11:54:
[rant]

Keyboard.

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Accelerate Patch This Week
4. Re: Tribes: Ascend Accelerate Patch This Week Jun 11, 2012, 17:31 yuastnav

If they don't nerv the Jackal and all the different Plasma gun variations there will be hell to play!
Seriously, it's like they have absolutely no idea about how to properly balanced new guns.
Not surprising that all the aforementioned weapons are banned from competitive play.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
12. Re: Bill Gates Jun 10, 2012, 05:16 yuastnav

RailWizard wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 04:39:
[...]
Windows has bombed before. WindowsME anyone? I'm curious who you think is going to whip up this miracle OS in just a few years(you seem to imply it will be sooner than that because I'm sure Windows9((with lessons learned from w8..)) will be ready by then too). Google? lol I would rather run DOS. Apple? Anyone with a brain is lol'ing. That leaves...Linux. A monumental shitbox of mediocrity.

Just don't run win8. Tell everyone you know to do the same. Bad mouth it everywhere you can. MS will get the message and reorder themselves, as they have done before. One bad OS isn't going to kill them. They've been there, done that before. Sucks it's a lesson that needs to be repeated...but I'm happy as can be with win7, so who gives a fuck.

Blows your mind right out, eh?
No, no, it's okay.

News Comments > Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play
44. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 06:02 yuastnav

Kajetan wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 04:27:
netnerd85 wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 03:33:
Morally corrupt business model.
It is. F2P is a scam. To be profitable, the game has to trick you, lure you into spending money. Its completely intransparent, how much money this game will cost you. This business model feeds on weak minded gamers. Yes, its morally corrupt.
[...]

On the other hand F2P games are also good for people who do not have much time to play. I could have never played Planetside 1 because I don't have a credit card and I also couldn't justify paying a monthly fee because I cannot anticipate how big the workload is going to be in the next few weeks/months so it could be the case that the money would completely go to waste. I also loved the idea of Planetside, though, and it was the only MMO next to Eve Online and Dark Age of Camelot that I had any interest in.
So it's actually really great for people like me that Planetside 2 is going to be f2p because I can actually try it out without having to worry about wasting money and microtransactions will not expire after a month (at least I hope so).

News Comments > Linux Steam Client This Year?
20. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 16:16 yuastnav

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 16:03:
yuastnav wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 13:09:
That does not really make any sense. Linux was never an alternative to Windows in the first place. If anything then Linux was an alternative to UNIX because it was built as a UNIX-like system but with the additional plus point that it was completely free; I am not really sure what you are talking about because Linux is more than able to stand on its own, thank you very much.
What does any of that have to do with the point I made? My point was about how Linux has failed to become a credible alternative to Windows. It isn't as user friendly, as visually pleasing or as capable as Windows, especially when it comes to gaming. You can compare it to UNIX all you want but that's like comparing a leper to an Ebola victim - both have their own merits (oh look, which body part is going to fall off next?) but most people prefer to be healthy (Windows).

yuastnav wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 13:09:
It even sounds kind of condescending on your part because "Linux is an alternative but it does not live up to my standards etc".
It was meant to be. Microsoft stagnated with XP, faltered with Vista, barely changed much with 7 and now 8 is coming along and is forcing its radically different interface on people, yet still Linux has failed to get anywhere amongst consumers. The UI still looks like it was designed by a competition at a special needs school and even though it's free people don't have any interest in it.

It's great that Linux is now able to browse web pages and watch videos on YouTube. Now it needs to do the hard stuff - have a decent UI, support games and be user friendly.

I am sorry but it looks like you have no clue what you are talking about. You do realize that Linux is actually just a kernel, right? It has no such thing as a UI and what not.
So you want to talk about a UI, okay. Are you talking about a specific software? Are you talking about KDE, Gnome, e16/17, Fluxbox?
Are you talking about the specific interface that you have with your operating system? Be more specific, please, your simplistic views will not get you very far here.

And what do you mean "it has failed to get anywhere amongst consumers"? Among which consumers? Obviously most of the people that are consumers of Linux like it and use it and the same thing applies to Windows, Mac and any other operating system.

Although it's actually pointless talking to you because if you use such analogies as "Windows is healthy" and "Linux is a disease" then it's clearly that you have made up your mind and just trolling around.

News Comments > Linux Steam Client This Year?
16. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 13:09 yuastnav

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 12:56:
[...]
It still both surprises and annoys me that Linux has failed to become a credible alternative to Windows despite the lack of innovation in the Windows franchise. You'd think there must be some dedicated enough programmers with vision - or people that could work together to the same effect - to do something. There are some great concepts out there.

That does not really make any sense. Linux was never an alternative to Windows in the first place. If anything then Linux was an alternative to UNIX because it was built as a UNIX-like system but with the additional plus point that it was completely free; I am not really sure what you are talking about because Linux is more than able to stand on its own, thank you very much.
It even sounds kind of condescending on your part because "Linux is an alternative but it does not live up to my standards etc".

News Comments > StarForge Demo
6. Re: StarForge Demo Jun 1, 2012, 02:25 yuastnav

ASeven wrote on May 31, 2012, 22:17:
Very impressive indeed and it's free.

Well, it's F2P. Apparently you can buy "hatch points" or something like that and they are much less expensive while the game is still in early alpha but it was impossible to get a look at the site yesterday because the servers were almost dead.
Was lucky enough to get the torrent file and download the game.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Schoolby Solves Puzzle May 29, 2012, 02:02 yuastnav

.net_Drifter wrote on May 28, 2012, 23:44:
Fantaz wrote on May 28, 2012, 16:40:
Killer Kane wrote on May 28, 2012, 14:30:
That "schoolby" must be smart...

"Modest Shouryya began solving complicated equations as a six year old but says he's no genius."

How does he have such a low image of himself? He really thinks that he's not a genius even after solving this at 16?

But what, exactly, did he solve?
The story never actually says, only that he "solved two fundamental particle dynamics theories" that "professors claimed they were uncrackable" but that "physicists have previously been able to calculate only by using powerful computers."

So, essentially he solved an uncrackable theory that had already been cracked by a computer?
Did he just come up with a way to crack the theory that didn't involve a computer? A shortcut of sorts?
And as for calculating a baseball's path, I thought they've been able to do that for years.

Basically he solved two mathematical problems relating to Newtonian mechanics.
The only way to solve these equations so far was to use a numerical method which is always only an approximation. A human could do it, too, but not as precise as a computer and definitely not as fast.
That guy basically found an analytical solution to these differential equations, something mathematicians were apparently not able to do so far. An analytical solution is usually an exact solution to a problem because it tries to make as little, or none at all, approximations as possible.
One of the problems was about throwing an object in the gravitational field of a planet (e.g. earth) while under influence of drag or air resistance. There was a an exact solution to the differential equation of the trajectory of a object without drag but none for the one with drag.
The second problem was apparently about throwing an object against a wall and calculating its full trajectory, i.e. also how it bounces back. I am not sure what exactly they mean by that because none of the articles I read was too specific about that, unfortunately, and I also was not able to find a paper with the solutions to these problems.

News Comments > Red Orchestra 2 GotY & Free Weekend Launch
11. Re: Red Orchestra 2 GotY & Free Weekend Launch May 25, 2012, 12:51 yuastnav

Wanted to try out that game but it crashes when it updates the server list.

Good job, Tripwire.

News Comments > Diablo III Hacking?
5. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 11:57 yuastnav

wrlwnd wrote on May 21, 2012, 11:48:
Here's a post from one of the threads

Hello all,

I had my diablo 3 account hacked today. All my items gone and gold liquidated. Blizzard rolled it back to where I was a day and a half before. Meaning I lost around 20 hours of game time play. Not only that, but from what I've read, it seems to be blizzard's fault. My password is a random combination of capitalized and uncapitalized letters, numbers, and special characters. My security question answer is also unknowable by anyone but me.

I was told I'd have to use an authenticator now to use the Real money auction house, and if it happened again, my account would be banned from the RMAH. What is up with that? Blizzard has security flaws and I get punished? So ontop of losing 20 hours of gameplay, I have to use an authenticator to login to my account now, and am teetering on the edge of never using the RMAH? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!

I just reformatted this computer in anticipation for diablo 3. I have no programs on here but diablo 3, an EVGA overclocker, and internet explorer. I'm also on a secure wired connection, with a legitimate copy of windows 7. I know my stuff, I majored in comp sci in college. Don't treat me like an idiot. This is not my fault.

So now basically Blizzard is treating this guy's account as suspect and will penalize him for their lack of security.

It is to laugh

Blizzard being incompetent?
Who saw THAT coming!!1! I was like "WOAH"!?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Nexuiz for PC
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Nexuiz for PC May 11, 2012, 02:20 yuastnav

The most confusing thing is that Nexuiz was actually a game that used a modified version of the Quake engine and was published under the GPL.
Then the name was licensed to Illfonic and they scrapped the engine and the artstyle and replaced it with something different.

... what the hell?

News Comments > Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans
18. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 02:35 yuastnav

Definitely looking forward to that. Really enjoyed Saints Row 3. It's so over the top its hilarious. It also doesn't make the mistake of taking itself too seriously, like the newer GTA titles. Which did not do them much good, but that is just the way I see things (the GTA titles are still fun but I enjoyed Saints Row 2 and Saints Row 3 much more).  

News Comments > Gothic 3 Community Patch
12. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 29, 2012, 04:47 yuastnav

I couldn't even finish Risen because I got so bored with it.
I loved Gothic 1 and 2 to bits, Gothic 1 is still my most favourite game of all time, but Risen just felt like more of the same and it's getting tedious.
I really wish Piranha Bytes would just try something new but apparently many developers are afraid of that in today's industry.

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind and Demo Released
4. Re: A Valley Without Wind and Demo Released Apr 25, 2012, 01:40 yuastnav

Great game.
Still sad that they decided to scrap the settlment game mechanics, though. I don't even know the reason since I stopped playing the beta after the middle of October due to a lack of time.
The game will get grindy but the exploration is still tons of fun. And it is much easier to play now.

News Comments > Tribes Ascend: Launches
5. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 15:19 yuastnav

Tribes: Ascend is the world's fastest shooter.

As much as I love this game this is simply not true. I believe this title is still held by Quake 1/ezQuake or Quake 3 CPMA.

News Comments > Nexuiz Beta
2. Re: Nexuiz Beta Apr 11, 2012, 01:42 yuastnav

What's even more weird is that the original Nexuiz was based on the Quake 1 engine while this one uses the CryENGINE so basically everything that is left of the original game is the name.
That's pretty stupid.

753 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo