Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 735 (Apprentice)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind 2 Announced; Free for Owners of Original
6. Re: A Valley Without Wind 2 Announced; Free for Owners of Original Oct 1, 2012, 18:36 yuastnav

As much as I loved the game while I was playing it I cannot really disagree with the points you made.
It really is kind of a mess and man did it get repetetive after a while but when everything was still new it was so much fun just going out there and exploring the world, finding out new stuff etc.

I didn't even know you could get buildings as loot.
The way the base building metagame worked was that you could go to a screen where you could see the whole map and look at your settlements. These settlments would consist of squares which you could building buildings on. All NPCs that lived in the settlments had a number of action points per turn and you could order them to either go explore a cave and bring back other NPCs or make them build stuff or just chop up wood and what not.
The weird thing is that you could move around freely during your turn but for anything to happen you needed to end a turn and begin another one.

So again - it was messy and it probably wasn't such a great idea that they changed around the concept so much during the beta (afaik they released new versions almost daily), it almost looked like as if they didn't really think it through.
On the other hand they were really, really great when it came to fixing bugs and implementing new ideas (as I said: patches came almost daily) and they wanted to make a good game.

So I really hope it works out this time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind 2 Announced; Free for Owners of Original
1. Re: A Valley Without Wind 2 Announced; Free for Owners of Original Oct 1, 2012, 12:33 yuastnav

Sounds interesting.

I loved the first game but I played it mostly when they released the first public beta (for pre-orders) about a year ago and wasted a lot of time on it.
When the game was finally released I wasn't interested any more.

But I'm still intrigued about the changes they want to implement into the second game.
I really liked the base-building meta-game but from what I understand it was completely removed in one of the updates. Or am I mistaken?

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
48. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 1, 2012, 12:30 yuastnav

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 12:01:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:52:
It does not speak in your favour that you seek out this topic only to complain about how you are annoyed by its mere existence.

Oh sorry forgot to take my politically correct pills this morning. Gay people are just that people, like anyone else. Just because they like to bump uglies with the same gender doesn't make them special snowflakes who deserve their own "gaming convention"

Last I checked sexual orientation had zero to do with video games. All this is, is another cry for attention. Who gives a shit who they like to shack up with?

Listen to yourself, "They deserve protection" If they didn't have the need to constantly announce "We're gay pay us extra attention" No one would care in the first place

Political correctness does not exist so I am not even sure what you are trying to say.
Anyway, being homosexual certainly does not make them special, I agree with that part of the sentence, but I do not understand the second one. What does that have to do with making a gaming convention? Why should they not be allowed to make a gaming convention?
Most gaming conventions are targeted at the white, heterosexual males so the argument that "heterosexuals" should also have their own convention is not really invalid. From what I understand heterosexuals are still permitted to attend a homosexual convention and vice versa but that still does not explain why oh why homosexuals cannot make their own convention.

Then you are saying that this is all just a cry for attention. I do not see it this way but I would like to understand your position and therefore ask why you see it like that. Why do you think that's a cry for attention?
I really don't get this. They are just announcing a convention for homosexuals. So what? Big deal. Why are you then so upset about this?
I mean: if you don't care then you can ignore it. Right? It does not even inconvenience you in any way.

c.f. Verno's post concerning the last point.

45. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 1, 2012, 11:52 yuastnav

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:44:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:39:
RailWizard wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:25:
Verno wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:03:
RailWizard wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 10:35:
Verno wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 09:15:
Person on internet tries to handwave away their amusing homophobia, news at 11.

I neither fear gays nor want to be gay. Fucking amusing how often that's get thrown in there, like that just explains everything. It also completely defies logic, but don't let that stop you....

Education and social upbringing usually explain things actually but that's neither here nor there. In this case, you completely misunderstand what homophobia actually means. It's not just about being afraid, it's about irrational attitude and prejudice.

Yeah right, and that's exactly what everyone means when they use the term. Play stupid now.

Okay okay. You are not homophobic but homomisic.
Better? :)

So basically anyone who doesn't treat gay people as a entitled special interest group is either a homophobe or homomisic?

No but everyone who hates gay people is either homophobic or homomisic. Just as the words say. :)
Of course this only pertains to people who hate gay people because they are gay, i.e. a person could hate gay people but he may be just a misanthrope in which case he would hate all people and hate gay people for existing but not for being gay.

Sexuality is special in the sense that no person has any control over what one's sexuality is (even though some people on this site are of the misguided and uscientific opinion that this is not so) and as a minority it needs a certain amount of protection as long as such irrational behaviour like focused hatred towards homosexuality exists.

It does not speak in your favour that you seek out this topic only to complain about how you are annoyed by its mere existence.
This is a peculiar behaviour because a certain sexuality, or a lack thereof, is inherent to every person alive and some people are annoyed by that.

Allow me to demonstrate this through an analogy (yes, I can see the irony): If there was a group of people who could not survive in this atmosphere and had to wear a breathing mask all the time and they decided to make a gamer convention for exactly this group of people - naturally they would advertise this to get as many as people, sort of to create a safe haven where they would not have to wear these masks and what not. Would you also, as someone who breathes a mixture of oxygen and nitrogen as well as a minor percentage of othe gases, be angry at them because "it does get a bit much at times"?

There was actually science ficiton novel by Arkadi and Boris Strugatsky that included a similar theme.

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2012, 11:59.

43. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 1, 2012, 11:39 yuastnav

RailWizard wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:25:
Verno wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:03:
RailWizard wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 10:35:
Verno wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 09:15:
Person on internet tries to handwave away their amusing homophobia, news at 11.

I neither fear gays nor want to be gay. Fucking amusing how often that's get thrown in there, like that just explains everything. It also completely defies logic, but don't let that stop you....

Education and social upbringing usually explain things actually but that's neither here nor there. In this case, you completely misunderstand what homophobia actually means. It's not just about being afraid, it's about irrational attitude and prejudice.

Yeah right, and that's exactly what everyone means when they use the term. Play stupid now.

Okay okay. You are not homophobic but homomisic.
Better? :)

33. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 1, 2012, 05:11 yuastnav

UnderLord wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 21:36:
'Preference implies a choice' - False.
[...]

False.

pref·er·ence (prfr-ns, prfrns)
n.
a. The selecting of someone or something over another or others.
b. The right or chance to so choose.
c. Someone or something so chosen. See Synonyms at choice.

The english word "preference" very well implies a choice.

UnderLord wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 21:36:
[...]
I prefer English Mustard to German, nothing I can do about that.
[...]

As has been demonstrated above saying that you prefer a type of mustard over another is a deliberate choice that you have made for whatever reason you might have. Maybe because it tastes better.
But you are not forced to eat English mustard. You can very well eat German mustard, even if it is not to your taste.
You do not have that option in relation to your sexuality, though.

The choice of your analogy was unfortunate for incorrect. (as all analogies are, without exception, I would recommend to refrain from using them since the English language is powerful enough to explain abstract ideas and concepts by itself)

News Comments > Nexus 2 Kickstarter
36. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 29, 2012, 13:16 yuastnav

Stormsinger wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 20:14:
[...]
Are you seriously trying to tell someone what his expectations were, in contradiction to what -he- says they were?
[...]

No I am not. Read again.

Stormsinger wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 20:14:
[...]
I guess it couldn't possibly be that he has the slightest validity to his complaints...it must just be that he's a moron who doesn't know what he wants.
[...]

Why are you insulting him?
And no, it would be strange for me to assume that you are using sarcasm since I never said anything about what you are accusing me of.
I never directly addressed his complaints.

News Comments > Nexus 2 Kickstarter
18. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 28, 2012, 19:07 yuastnav

Well I really enjoyed Nexus.

The only problem was the game-breaking bug where it crashed during a sequence and didn't let me finish the game.

Apart from that it was a fantastic experience.

Stanly Manly wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 15:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 15:21:
Wow the posts in this topic make me sad to be a pc gamer. Too complicated? Nexus? A game you could win with the shift key and 1 mouse button?

And to the guy saying the game felt staged.. I have only 1 thing to say to that.. DUH.
Reread the genre, TACTICAL COMBAT SIMULATION. Read up what a tactical combat challenge IS. That is the very definition of STAGED COMBAT in a game. To complain that the game felt staged is like saying that Homeworld 2 had too much space. Or that there was too much shooting in Call of Duty. Tactical challenges HAVE to be staged. Or it would be brainless skirmish.

But the sad abilities of pc gamers we have here aside, why is this kickstarter 2 days shorter than Obsidian one?

Hah, the old "you are playing it wrong" bit. Do you dislike any games, Eraser? If you do, it's because your abilities are sub par, and you obviously don't understand the genre, duh.

That is not entirely correct. As it has been said it's not a strategy game but a tactical simulator. You are not correct in saying that he he is wrong in implying that you are not playing it correctly since you, probably, just have different expectations from it.
To use an analogy: it's like expecting Baldur's Gate or Fallout to be an action adventure rpg. It's not. Gothic or the elder scrolls are action adventures with rpg elements, Baldur's gate and Fallout are rpg games. There are similar mechanics but the games are fundamentally different. It's the same for Nexus and other games of a similar genre in which you control several ships in a strategical manner in space.

News Comments > Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt
2. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 10:38 yuastnav

"Certify minecraft for win8"?

What does this even mean?

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Sep 27, 2012, 10:05 yuastnav

I just hope this copy of Nexus works properly.
I still have the DVD case lying around here somewhere but I never finished the game because a certain cutscene always crashed the game (skipping it crashed the game, too) and I didn't found any solutions on the internet that worked for me.

Oh well, got it while it was 60% off and will try it out again when I find some time. It was definitely really good when it was working.

News Comments > Beneath a Steel Sky Sequel Confirmed
3. Re: Beneath a Steel Sky Sequel Confirmed Sep 24, 2012, 11:57 yuastnav

Wow, didn't expect that.
Sounds great, though! I hope they'll actually do it.

News Comments > Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend
17. Re: Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend Sep 21, 2012, 09:49 yuastnav

Definitely one of the best games I have played lately.

I just wish that they would release the fist Saints Row on PC but seeing as how financially unstable THQ is right now I guess that's not going to happen.

Oh well, at least there will be a sequel and since this game is really, really awesome it's not that likely that it's going to be cancelled since this could make them some money. Or at least I hope so.

News Comments > FTL: Faster Than Light This Week
68. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 13, 2012, 10:21 yuastnav

space captain wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 09:44:
yuastnav wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 07:59:
It all depends on how it is presented. If you don't want it to sound like whining you have to say it in a rational manner which has not always been the case.

says the whiny little bitch

don't be too hard on yourself

65. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 13, 2012, 07:59 yuastnav

Prez wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 07:10:
[...]
I don't think anyone was bitching, whining, complaining, etc. It sounded more to me like people sharing why FTL wasn't appealing to them and why they weren't going to buy the game.
[...]

It all depends on how it is presented. If you don't want it to sound like whining you have to say it in a rational manner which has not always been the case.

Prez wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 07:10:
[...]
but who are we to tell anyone else what "should be sufficient" for them? Personal tastes are just that - personal.
[...]

You said it yourself: this is a forum for discussion. Anytime someone asks about what game he should play and you come up with a list of games that this person might like you automatically make an implication about what is of sufficient quality to that person and what is not.
People here expressed their opinion, in one way or the other, about how they perceive the graphics so that gives you at least some information what kind of graphics the person would like
If they don't like FTL - fine. It may have been the developer's wish to make this kind of art style or it may have been a budget problem. In any case there many other games out there that can be to someone's liking who doesn't want to play FTL.

61. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 13, 2012, 05:05 yuastnav

PHJF wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 20:55:
Valley Without Wind is both a fucking awful game and fucking ugly. Why the fuck would you bring it up? What is wrong with you?

I rest my case.

Prez wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 00:09:
You should be congratulating these guys for coming up with an actual unique game idea and, more importantly, executing it well!

I agree with that. For my part, though I understand the complaints about the general graphic fidelity of some indie games (seriously guys it really isn't whining just because someone else cares more about a certain aspect of a game than you do), I am totally in love with the concept of FTL and can't wait to play it.

That is all well but there are games with have graphics that should be sufficient for the people who complain.
Like I said: you don't have to buy it. If someone likes the concept of the game but is put off by the graphics so much that it becomes a dealbreaker then tough luck.
But maybe that's just me. If a game is fun and has good controls then that's enough, in most cases.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2012, 05:13.

46. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 12, 2012, 20:00 yuastnav

Wow, hard to believe how many people here just outright whine about graphics.

Just a few months back I played Starflight for the first time and had a blast with it. Although the control scheme could have been better.

If you don't like how it looks then don't play it, simple as that.
This just reminds me of last time when people were QQing about A Valley Without Winds.
Good god. No one forces you to play these games. What is wrong with you?

News Comments > Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow
32. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 10, 2012, 08:01 yuastnav

007Bistromath wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 03:51:
[...] but it isn't hard to see that TF2 is the most perfect game (in the sense of "functional completeness") in the history of the hobby, [...]

Uhm, care to elaborate?

News Comments > On Darksiders II Sales
45. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 9, 2012, 11:48 yuastnav

LurkerLito wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 10:48:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 01:29:
If by "fluff content," you mean "more of the same gameplay that you enjoyed in the first game," sure? Because that's what it was. Just more of the same. Same combat, same exploration, same platforming, same puzzle-solving. DS2 just had more of it and a lot of it was optional.
I am pretty sure what turned many fans of DS1 to disliked DS2 was a complete change to the game play mechanics. While combat, and puzzles were the same, the game play changed from an action game with some RPG-ish elements to a full blown aRPG with inventory management, buying and selling, and grinding for levels. In DS1 War was powerful from start to finish, the RPG-ish elements were just improving his weapons and buying skills. In DS2, you now have to deal with levels, a skill tree, grabbing dropped weapons, selling them to make room for more, buying skills, improving possessed weapons, running into creatures far stronger than Death making him feel significantly weaker than War in the beginning.

While I like both games, the first one was better put together. It was a game where the story fit the game play and the game play mechanics matched. In DS2, the story fits the game play but the game play mechanics clash. DS1 War was powerful throughout the game even after he was stripped of his powers. In DS2, Death is weak and gets stronger, and his weapons sucked and have to be constantly replaced. For a supposed horseman of the apocalypse, it clashes with the story but is done that way to fit it to the aRPG game mechanics.

In other words, they took a Action game like Ninja Gaiden/Devil May Cry and made it more like Diablo.

Which is why I am interested in Darksiders 2.
When I saw the first one I didn't pay it much attention because after seeing a few gameplay videos I've written it off as some boring action adventure, but now that they have introduced an RPG system and an open world it makes the game much more interesting and I don't think I am the only one who thinks that way.

Still, cannot afford to buy games full price since I rarely finish them anymore, due to a lack of time. And then the interest fades. Hope it will be at least 50% off during the winter sale.

News Comments > Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines
44. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 4, 2012, 06:01 yuastnav

InBlack wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 04:24:
Remember when movies used to be NOT Politically Correct??

Remember when games used to be NOT Politically Correct??

*sigh*

Shit used to be a lot better when people were...you know actually expressing themselves instead of expressing what is 'expected' of them. Damn I miss those times....

There is no such thing as "political correctness". It is a myth.
Everything you do and say is only subject to your own set of morals which may include accepting social norms so as not to stick out. Political correctness, however, does not exist.

News Comments > Natural Selection 2 Exosuit Reveal; Beta Access Ending
9. Re: Natural Selection 2 Exosuit Reveal; Beta Access Ending Aug 28, 2012, 14:46 yuastnav

I remember that after some time I loathed the Half Life engine and could not understand why they discarded the net code from the original Quake 2 basis, which was probably the best part. Stupid move there, Valve.
The thing is that it was too slow for Natural Selection, if you were a quick fade it would be entirely possible for you to die after you blinked around two corners already.
When they announced that they were going to use their own engine I was relieved because I thought they were going to do a good job.

Well, the netcode is basically even worse than in the original Half Life. I literally stood in front of a non-moving marine (as a Skulk) and bit him three or four times and not one single attack connected (we both had a normal ping) and have seen similar things happen to other players.
Same thing happens when you try to shoot a Skulk as a marine. The bullets do not seem to hit. :/

On the other hand Natural Selection 2 is the game that Natural Selection wanted to be. Natural Selection should have been a slightly scary, dark game where you had this asymmetric constellation of teams and while the latter part was still true it just wasn't that dark or scary (especially because people cranked up the brightness in competitive games anyway).
Unfortunately the movement is not as smooth in Natural Selection 2 as it is in Natural Selection 1. For some reason they decided not to implement bunny hopping which was really fun when you played as a Skulk (and other glitches, like wall-running as a marine etc.) so it makes this game less competitive than Natural Selection in general (at least to me).

But the atmosphere is much better. The lighting is really good, especially when you go into a dark room with your flashlights because the power node was killed and try to find those skulks. So if they actually manage to smooth this game out then it's going to be really good, it already is.

Fortunately most of the changes they made are decent and pretty fun, cannot really complain. I will miss the Fade's blink but the current ability is kind cool, too. Much more like the blink from 1.04.

735 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo