Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 695 (Apprentice)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Community Beta
18. Re: Steam Community Beta Aug 16, 2012, 17:12 yuastnav

WaltC wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 16:55:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 16:21:
A PC is a Personal Computer. A Macintosh is a PC. PC doesn’t automatically mean x86, damn it. Politically Correct.

A bit off topic, but I thought I would comment on this. While it is certainly true that "personal computers" don't have to be x86 to be "personal computers," or PCs, today's Mac is 100% x86 and has been for several years. The only substantive difference between a Dell and a "Mac" is the Operating System that ships with each. The Mac will natively run either of two x86 OSes ROOB, or both: Windows and OS X. The Dell runs Windows natively, too, and the only reason you won't find OS X on a Dell is because Apple has intentionally created that situation and has made it "illegal" (both in terms of law and software) to install OS X to any non Apple-branded x86 computer system. Again, Macs are 100% x86 today, so that quote is a tad out of date. (Not to mention the fact that today's "x86" is certainly not "your father's x86", either.)

That may be true but it's really bugging me when people say things like "A Mac and a PC" or "For PC, Mac and Linux" because it's really stupid. Macs are PCs and Linux is also an operating system that is used on PCs and it's really not that difficult to say "For Win(dows), Mac and Linux" or something like that.
This may be (at least partially) attributed to the old "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" ads but that doesn't make it right (or clever).

But again, you are right.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Community Beta
14. Re: Steam Community Beta Aug 16, 2012, 16:21 yuastnav

Afaik you can get a STEAM_ID by just joining a server and typing "status" into the console.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
104. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 13, 2012, 07:42 yuastnav

RailWizard wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 07:02:
You all, perhaps due the severity of your buthurtedness, are missing the point entirely here.

I don't really give a shit about gays, or what they do. Only when I see stuff like this does it become a problem because I don't think they deserve any special attention or privilege.

The only ones I don't have a problem with when they do this is based on race. The reason for that should be obvious. However here in North America, there are only 2 races where this is acceptable. Blacks and Natives.

The only reason this shit blows up like this is because you fascist pricks think you own everyone.

So you can all put down the eye spreaders + drops and turn off the Ludwig Van.

I'm done here. (i think...)

Us fascists? You are the one who is talking about races!
There is only one human race on this planet that is still alive and this is the homo sapiens. You are still stuck in the 20th century with your outdated ideas and ideals and since you are mad that the world has left you behind a long time ago you start making up bs and calling everyone else a hypocrite.
The only thing that has come out of you are insults because you fail entirely to make a coherent argument.
Stop being so fething delusional.

99. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 13, 2012, 06:37 yuastnav

RailWizard wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 05:34:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 05:08:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 22:51:
RailWizard wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 22:46:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 22:10:
Thanks for the armchair psychology lesson Dr. Phil. Maybe we should discuss your irrational belief that those whom you disagree with must be mentally defective?

Only those that are, Springer.

Thanks for validating my theory there. Nothing left to discuss here. I'm done.

This discussion was doomed from the very beginning. Especially because it was basically one-sided as the anti-gay side failed to bring up any coherent or logical argument, which is completely understandable because there are none.

Spoken like a true hypocrite. Golfclap

You spouted bs. People (others and I) refuted all of it.
You failed to come up with counter-arguments (though to be fair: it's impossible) and spouted more bs instead.

You lose.

Keep reaching for that rainbow.

97. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 13, 2012, 05:08 yuastnav

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 22:51:
RailWizard wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 22:46:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 22:10:
Thanks for the armchair psychology lesson Dr. Phil. Maybe we should discuss your irrational belief that those whom you disagree with must be mentally defective?

Only those that are, Springer.

Thanks for validating my theory there. Nothing left to discuss here. I'm done.

This discussion was doomed from the very beginning. Especially because it was basically one-sided as the anti-gay side failed to bring up any coherent or logical argument, which is completely understandable because there are none.

74. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2012, 06:13 yuastnav

RailWizard wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 22:13:
[...]
Ah yes, here is another great fallacy. "But but, the animals do it!" Many animals also eat each other. How about that cannibal minority? Where are their equal rights? So blind and stupid....

How is that a fallacy? Animals are gay, humans are also animals. Why would nature change that? It wouldn't make any sense.
Also, if you haven't heard, there are cannibalistic tribes when it comes to humans. Humans eat each other, too. Other societies have developed a set of morals that forbids that, though. There is nothing else stopping us from eating each other but there is just no need for that because we don't have to do that anymore.
You do the same mistake again, though. If we allowed cannibalism there would not be equality anymore because some people would be allowed to eat others. We'd have an inequal society.
We have the same thing here since people like you don't want other sexualities to have the same rights.

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 20:48:
[...]
Ahhhh, but why do we have morals? Perhaps morals serve to preserve societies or cultures (in the aggregate, not the individual cases)? What if some moralities have enabled certain cultures to be more successful (once again, in the aggregate)? What if cultures evolve like organisms?
[...]

So? I didn't say morals were bad. They are necessary, without them we wouldn't be where we are. But morals have downsides, too, because people can have a set of morals that leads to an inequal society, whereas a pack of animals without morals or reason would base their lives on instinct and would not make a distinction between members who are gay and those who are not.

RailWizard wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 21:58:
"Being gay is normal. & Being gay is not a choice." Wrong. I don't care what anyone says, you or the egghead community. If you insist that it is, let's see the proof. Show me the 'gay gene'. You can't because it's bullshit.

So basically you are stating that opposing opinions do not concern you and that you will believe whatever you want? Then this discussion is kinda moot.
Furthermore, why do you think there is a "gay gene"? It is more likely that homosexuality (and in argumentum e contrario heterosexuality) comes to be thorugh a specific configuration of a set of other genes.

RailWizard wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 02:21:
[...]
That must be some good kool-aid. Go ahead and keep preaching like you and your precious peers know what you're talking about. They don't know what makes some people murderers, but for this, somehow they magically know. Right.
[...]

Only because you may not understand it it doesn't mean that people who do are "drinking the kool-aid". And yes, scientists do know nigh infinitely more than you do because they are not blinded by that irrational rage that you developed for some reason, probably from upbringing or environmental influence or chance - most likely a mix of all of that. And guess what: it is the same with murderers. Maybe some people are genetically better predisposed to become murderers but that alone is not enough. There are a lot of other factors that you have to consider but that is not relevant to our discussion because one's sexuality is mostly something that is decided before birth.

RailWizard wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 02:21:
[...]
I suppose people that don't think Kim Jong Il is a living god are all rejecting reality too, right?

How is that relevant to this discussion?

40. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 20:32 yuastnav

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 20:20:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 19:43:
Since being gay is not a question of taste but one of biology it would be advisable to drop the theories that have been falsified.
And don't forget: Humans are not born with a specific set of morals or ethics so no one is born a homophobe. You become one.

Actually, no human being is born gay (or straight), either. Sexual attraction is developed during puberty. There is no consensus on the origin of same-sex attraction... and there are certainly no peer reviewed studies that have identified a biological "cause" of same-sex attraction. While biology might very well play a role, you are channeling your beliefs here... not facts.

At least you admit that this is about changing other people's morals. I applaud your honesty. Why you feel qualified to impose your morality on others, I don't know...

In a world where no one cared about sexuality, we wouldn't have gaming groups dedicated to certain sexualities. But obviously some people do care.

It does not really matter when sexual attraction is developed. Every person is wired in a certain way and some of these things only take effect at a certain age. Some may be prone to fall to some illness easier than others, some are fated to develop a condition with a higher probability etc. and some are born gay, others straight, other asexual and what not.

And yes, it is about morals. There is no such thing as immorality, only morality that differs form the morality of a certain individual or a group (i.e. society).
Humans differ from animals slightly in the sense that they have reason and morals are a function of that reason. It is a credo and a curse.
Though homophobia is a result of morality. Without morals homophobia would not exist (for that see other animals).

35. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 19:43 yuastnav

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 11:37:
[...]
But do those who believe that what they do is not normal have to be silenced? Do those who don't agree have to acknowledge and approve?
[...]

Since being gay is not a question of taste but one of biology it would be advisable to drop the theories that have been falsified.
It's not really about silencing those who believe otherwise but at such a point the belief that being gay is not normal just becomes irrational and is therefore probably ascribable to bigotry and hate.

[...]
Would you agree that a person who feels that gay behavior is not normal has just as much right to speak about it in the public square? To create places where they feel able to gather and feel "safe" in their opinions? Of course, there would be consequences. Would you support someone being fired or their business being boycotted because they support gay marriage? So how about Chick-Fil-A?
[...]

Again, at this point it just begins to be irrational hatred. The problem is that such people would want to reduce the rights of those they do not like, in this case gay people. Since we probably should live in a society that procures equality to all people who are born with a number of specific traits (like gender, sex, sexuality etc.) such an opinion is misplaced. There is no such thing as "gay behaviour", it's "human behaviour".

[...]
My biggest problem with those who wish to show how much "better" they are than everyone else through their "tolerance" is that they are just hypocrites. Discussion of social issues (especially stuff having to do with gay issues) usually ends up being free-speech-for-me-but-not-for-thee.
[...]

There is nothing to discuss. You are a bigot who doesn't think all people are equal. Others do not agree with you.
My, my, that is very undemocratic of you.

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 14:10:
[...]
You can believe anything you want about the origin of human sexuality... but it's not race.
[...]

Thank you for this magnificent revelation.

[...]
When a black man walks into a store, his race is evident.
[...]

Of course it is. A homo sapiens, just like every other human being.

[...]
But a polygamist? A boy who loves his sister (in a carnal sense)? A heterosexual? How do you know that?
[...]

Uhm, what? Those are all things we as rational human beings should be able to control. Something like being black or gay is not something you can control. You are being rather illogical here.

[...]
The fact is that this particular community wants special consideration.
[...]

They don't want special consideration. That special consideration actually comes not from their own doing but from people who hate gays. Homophobes are the ones who force that special consideration on them because if we lived in a world where no one cared about what sexuality you were such a special consideration would not exist.

[...]
But if I say I'm an atheist, they might call me a godless commie that'll burn in hell. If I identify as a Christian, they might call me a Jesus freak. Should we deplore that kind of language (since some of you use that kind of insult all the time on Blues), especially since I self-identified? What if I said I was from West Virginia... should we ban the terms red-neck or sister-humper?
[...]

Yes, those are all things you chose to be. For whatever reason.

And don't forget: Humans are not born with a specific set of morals or ethics so no one is born a homophobe. You become one.

News Comments > Grid 2 Announced
11. Re: Grid 2 Announced Aug 8, 2012, 11:22 yuastnav

Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 10:43:
wtf_man wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 10:18:
Before you all get too excited...

There's no cockpit / driver view in this one.

Just FYI.

I always drove from a 3rd person perspective anyway, so that doesn't bother me. I know purists will argue that you're not really "doing it right" unless you drive from a cockpit view, but games just never get the cockpit view right. Instead of making you feel like you're behind the driving wheel, to me it always feels like you're instead sitting in the middle of the back-seat.

Creston

Driving in the cockpit view would only make sense if you were to play a real simulator with wheel and everything and Grid is more of an arcade game so there's nothing wrong with the third person view.
Though that is just my opinion.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Pre-purchases
2. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Pre-purchases Aug 7, 2012, 17:58 yuastnav

Yeah, would be good to know if it's any good. I mean the price looks reasonable enough but then again I do hope that they will let in the priority players for PS2 in a few weeks, so...

Surely someone here was in the beta. So how do the weapons feel etc?

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Beta Beginning; Steam Confirmed
4. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Beginning; Steam Confirmed Aug 6, 2012, 17:15 yuastnav

Well, at least you'll be getting in earlier. :p
I guess I should be just glad that I got a priority key through the key exchange program but I don't think I'll be able to play PS2 before September.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
25. Re: Upcoming blues news headline Aug 6, 2012, 06:14 yuastnav

InBlack wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 05:53:
[...]
Im not sure there is a way back, it simply costs too much money and resources to develop a game that supports both OpenGL AND DirectX. Its quite obvious where most developers will turn to, since currently the market share of Linux is negligible.
[...]

People keep saying that but is it actually true?
I'd really love to hear some numbers on that one, I've never even seen approximations.
From what I understand the problem is not just OpenGL versus DirectX (actually it should be Direct3D because afaik DirectX is also responsible for sound and what not while OpenGL is just an api for video) but also things like sound systems (which is still a bit of a problem because there are so many flavours like OSS, Alsa, pulseaudio etc.) and other technical stuff.

Panickd wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 22:15:
[...]
And I stand by the zealot statement: install what you want on your machine and stick entirely to open source if that's what gets you off but I don't need to hear about how I shouldn't be installing the Nvidia drivers on my machine because they aren't open. There is far too much of that crap in the Linux world and all it does is scare off people who were just looking for a new OS, not a new religion.
[...]

*shrug* I don't know, every time I went to a forum because I had issues with video card drivers I was never told to just install the open source ones.
The NVidia drivers are good, people know that. Yes, they are not open source but not everyone is like Stallmann. Of course a bit more transparency on the side of NVidia would be appreciated but as long as it works well enough I don't see the problem.
Maybe I've just never met these people (these zealots) or maybe I unintentionally avoided them.

15. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 5, 2012, 19:48 yuastnav

Jivaro wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 19:33:
[...]
What is the Linux world like 10 years from now if the corporate world starts controlling it's development direction? I mean, gaming is a business...and I am not so naive as to even begin to claim otherwise...but there is small business and then there is the corporate world, and the decisions they each make with regards to their customers and their products are very very different.

Not that any of that is completely on topic..just kind of thinking out loud.

Well, if I may divert your attention to this graphic you can see that a lot of the contributions to the kernel is made by paid developers (something similar can be seen here).
If I am not mistaken, though, the kernel is just how the system communicates with the hardware so the only danger would be in unoptimised code.
On the other hand there are a lot of flavours when it comes to Linux so it's not really possible for corporations to "take over Linux", except of course if they would pay them to write a lot of software for that but that would not stop unpaid developers or hobbyists to still release software under the GPL.

So basically there are already corporations involved with Linux, like RedHat, but from what I can see they are doing fine.

Or maybe I misunderstood your point.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Aug 5, 2012, 19:32 yuastnav

Yeah, it was 50% off and I actually contemplated buying it for 10 bucks but then I figured that it'll probably be 75% off during the next Christmas sale (hopefully) which is only about four months away. :>  

13. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 5, 2012, 19:08 yuastnav

Alamar wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 17:00:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 16:23:
In other words "Those mean Linux peoplez are not giving me their money. QQ"

Not sure if intentionally ironic or just ignorant...

-Alamar

Well? How much does porting a game to Linux cost, what do you think?
On the other hand it is a little difficult to pay for products that do not exist so maybe I have to take my comment back.

Matshock wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 17:05:
They need to make Linux run in a window- or even in the background.
[...]

That's called a virtual machine and uses up a hell lot of resources.

Panickd wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 18:01:
[...]
More like "Linux peoplez don't buy software that isn't free-as-in-beer."

The zealots do more to kill Linux adoption among the mainstream than anything else. It gets tiring having to tell them "I don't give a fuck I just want something that works" while they are trying to preach at you while simultaneously solving your issue in the most condescending way possible. The whole Linux ecosystem would be much healthier without all the "bible thumper"-like mentality.

Uh-huh. And how did you come to that conclusion? Maybe there are studies that were made that you'd like to share or otherwise reputable sources that prove that indeed all or most people who use Linux would never want to pay for software and are also all the other stuff that you try to label them as.
Linux "just works" as much as Windows does. Hell, I've actually had more issues with Windows 7 than with Debian because that thing is so bloody cumbersome to use. But that is anecdotal evidence and therefore not worth much.
From what I have seen the current Ubuntu is gaudy enough and "just works".

3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 5, 2012, 16:23 yuastnav

In other words "Those mean Linux peoplez are not giving me their money. QQ"  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Death Rally
18. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Death Rally Aug 4, 2012, 10:46 yuastnav

JaguarUSF wrote on Aug 4, 2012, 09:49:
I'm reviewing it. Here's a video of me playing.

Wow, thanks for the review.

I am really glad that I didn't pick it up. Maybe if it's <4USD but the original seems to be so much better.
In my opinion there are a bunch of REALLY sutpid decisions that they made, like not being able to save up money or being able to accelerate or brake.
What were they thinking? :/

13. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Death Rally Aug 3, 2012, 18:55 yuastnav

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 18:25:
I grabbed the remake for my iPhone for free when it initially launched, and I've had no problems with controlling it. Plays quite well, actually. Since it appears to have the same courses as the phone versions, I'm gonna say its likely going to play a lot better with a gamepad. There are a lot of tight curves and odd angles that the keyboard just isn't suitable for.
Seriously people, a 360 controller can be had for $20 (wired), what's the holdup on getting one? There are a lot of games that pretty much demand analog control, and the 360 controller is almost universally supported natively in games. I'm not suggesting you play shooters or rts' with it, but racing games always benefit from the finer control you get with an analog gamepad.

Not everyone is comfortable with a controller, though maybe I am just speaking for me. I cannot use one, it's awkward and sometimes even slightly painful.

9. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Death Rally Aug 3, 2012, 16:06 yuastnav

ochentay4 wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 16:00:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 15:46:
Yeah, no need to bother with Steam.
I couldn't find the original site, though, so here's another link:
click

This game has been definitely released for free, though.
That link if for the Original Death Rally for DOS, wrapped up in a package compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7. Its not the 2012 reboot.

Uh yeah, that is what SykesN. and SM0k3 have been talking about, right?

7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Death Rally Aug 3, 2012, 15:46 yuastnav

Yeah, no need to bother with Steam.
I couldn't find the original site, though, so here's another link:
click

This game has been definitely released for free, though.

695 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo