Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 683 (Apprentice)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
15. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 5, 2012, 19:48 yuastnav

Jivaro wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 19:33:
[...]
What is the Linux world like 10 years from now if the corporate world starts controlling it's development direction? I mean, gaming is a business...and I am not so naive as to even begin to claim otherwise...but there is small business and then there is the corporate world, and the decisions they each make with regards to their customers and their products are very very different.

Not that any of that is completely on topic..just kind of thinking out loud.

Well, if I may divert your attention to this graphic you can see that a lot of the contributions to the kernel is made by paid developers (something similar can be seen here).
If I am not mistaken, though, the kernel is just how the system communicates with the hardware so the only danger would be in unoptimised code.
On the other hand there are a lot of flavours when it comes to Linux so it's not really possible for corporations to "take over Linux", except of course if they would pay them to write a lot of software for that but that would not stop unpaid developers or hobbyists to still release software under the GPL.

So basically there are already corporations involved with Linux, like RedHat, but from what I can see they are doing fine.

Or maybe I misunderstood your point.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Aug 5, 2012, 19:32 yuastnav

Yeah, it was 50% off and I actually contemplated buying it for 10 bucks but then I figured that it'll probably be 75% off during the next Christmas sale (hopefully) which is only about four months away. :>  

13. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 5, 2012, 19:08 yuastnav

Alamar wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 17:00:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 16:23:
In other words "Those mean Linux peoplez are not giving me their money. QQ"

Not sure if intentionally ironic or just ignorant...

-Alamar

Well? How much does porting a game to Linux cost, what do you think?
On the other hand it is a little difficult to pay for products that do not exist so maybe I have to take my comment back.

Matshock wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 17:05:
They need to make Linux run in a window- or even in the background.
[...]

That's called a virtual machine and uses up a hell lot of resources.

Panickd wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 18:01:
[...]
More like "Linux peoplez don't buy software that isn't free-as-in-beer."

The zealots do more to kill Linux adoption among the mainstream than anything else. It gets tiring having to tell them "I don't give a fuck I just want something that works" while they are trying to preach at you while simultaneously solving your issue in the most condescending way possible. The whole Linux ecosystem would be much healthier without all the "bible thumper"-like mentality.

Uh-huh. And how did you come to that conclusion? Maybe there are studies that were made that you'd like to share or otherwise reputable sources that prove that indeed all or most people who use Linux would never want to pay for software and are also all the other stuff that you try to label them as.
Linux "just works" as much as Windows does. Hell, I've actually had more issues with Windows 7 than with Debian because that thing is so bloody cumbersome to use. But that is anecdotal evidence and therefore not worth much.
From what I have seen the current Ubuntu is gaudy enough and "just works".

3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 5, 2012, 16:23 yuastnav

In other words "Those mean Linux peoplez are not giving me their money. QQ"  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Death Rally
18. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Death Rally Aug 4, 2012, 10:46 yuastnav

JaguarUSF wrote on Aug 4, 2012, 09:49:
I'm reviewing it. Here's a video of me playing.

Wow, thanks for the review.

I am really glad that I didn't pick it up. Maybe if it's <4USD but the original seems to be so much better.
In my opinion there are a bunch of REALLY sutpid decisions that they made, like not being able to save up money or being able to accelerate or brake.
What were they thinking? :/

13. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Death Rally Aug 3, 2012, 18:55 yuastnav

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 18:25:
I grabbed the remake for my iPhone for free when it initially launched, and I've had no problems with controlling it. Plays quite well, actually. Since it appears to have the same courses as the phone versions, I'm gonna say its likely going to play a lot better with a gamepad. There are a lot of tight curves and odd angles that the keyboard just isn't suitable for.
Seriously people, a 360 controller can be had for $20 (wired), what's the holdup on getting one? There are a lot of games that pretty much demand analog control, and the 360 controller is almost universally supported natively in games. I'm not suggesting you play shooters or rts' with it, but racing games always benefit from the finer control you get with an analog gamepad.

Not everyone is comfortable with a controller, though maybe I am just speaking for me. I cannot use one, it's awkward and sometimes even slightly painful.

9. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Death Rally Aug 3, 2012, 16:06 yuastnav

ochentay4 wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 16:00:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 15:46:
Yeah, no need to bother with Steam.
I couldn't find the original site, though, so here's another link:
click

This game has been definitely released for free, though.
That link if for the Original Death Rally for DOS, wrapped up in a package compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7. Its not the 2012 reboot.

Uh yeah, that is what SykesN. and SM0k3 have been talking about, right?

7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Death Rally Aug 3, 2012, 15:46 yuastnav

Yeah, no need to bother with Steam.
I couldn't find the original site, though, so here's another link:
click

This game has been definitely released for free, though.

1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Death Rally Aug 3, 2012, 13:41 yuastnav

No demo, huh? I really liked the original but it is better to be very cautious about reboots/remaks and what not these days. :/
Would be good to know whether the handling of the cars is actually any good and whether it's playable with a keyboard.

News Comments > GNU Guru: Linux Steam "Unethical"
56. Re: GNU Guru: Linux Steam Jul 31, 2012, 18:03 yuastnav

Umbragen wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 18:01:
I've always believed Linux geeks didn't want Linux to succeed on the desktop and this is proof.

m(

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Beta Imminent
26. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Imminent Jul 31, 2012, 17:02 yuastnav

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 16:57:
It annoys me that I signed up for the beta on the official website as soon as it went live and yet they'd rather give out keys using social marketing sites like Twitter.

I second that sentiment.

Retweeting within 15 seconds while the person has "only" about 700 to 800 followers is apparently to slow. I don't know whether I should have expected that.

12. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Imminent Jul 31, 2012, 13:49 yuastnav

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 11:25:
yuastnav wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 11:19:
I don't even have a beta key. :/
They are giving them away 100~150 at a time on Twitter. That's how I got mine, and it required barely anything from me as far as effort goes.

Thanks for the info, didn't know that.

I don't think the chances are very high, however. I don't check for new tweets very often and since I'm in central Europe chances are that I won't be at my computer when the keys are given away.

I guess I should look for a proper Linux client for twitter (since qwit is crashing, for some reason). [edit: well nvm, the incredibly old debian stable client crashes, the newest version (aug 2010) does not.]

In any case, which tiwtter account do I have to bug about this? The onw mentioned in the post or the one called planetside2? I presume the latter.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2012, 13:54.

4. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Imminent Jul 31, 2012, 11:19 yuastnav

Basically this is the only game that I want to play right now and I don't even have a beta key. :/  

News Comments > Microsoft Flight Grounded
1. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 10:39 yuastnav

While Microsoft Flight is a fun game and a step in the right direction concerning usability the decision to make it f2p and the really expensive DLC basically killed this game.

Way to go Microsoft. Way to go.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
17. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 5, 2012, 04:12 yuastnav

Jivaro wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 11:54:
[rant]

Keyboard.

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Accelerate Patch This Week
4. Re: Tribes: Ascend Accelerate Patch This Week Jun 11, 2012, 17:31 yuastnav

If they don't nerv the Jackal and all the different Plasma gun variations there will be hell to play!
Seriously, it's like they have absolutely no idea about how to properly balanced new guns.
Not surprising that all the aforementioned weapons are banned from competitive play.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
12. Re: Bill Gates Jun 10, 2012, 05:16 yuastnav

RailWizard wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 04:39:
[...]
Windows has bombed before. WindowsME anyone? I'm curious who you think is going to whip up this miracle OS in just a few years(you seem to imply it will be sooner than that because I'm sure Windows9((with lessons learned from w8..)) will be ready by then too). Google? lol I would rather run DOS. Apple? Anyone with a brain is lol'ing. That leaves...Linux. A monumental shitbox of mediocrity.

Just don't run win8. Tell everyone you know to do the same. Bad mouth it everywhere you can. MS will get the message and reorder themselves, as they have done before. One bad OS isn't going to kill them. They've been there, done that before. Sucks it's a lesson that needs to be repeated...but I'm happy as can be with win7, so who gives a fuck.

Blows your mind right out, eh?
No, no, it's okay.

News Comments > Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play
44. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 06:02 yuastnav

Kajetan wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 04:27:
netnerd85 wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 03:33:
Morally corrupt business model.
It is. F2P is a scam. To be profitable, the game has to trick you, lure you into spending money. Its completely intransparent, how much money this game will cost you. This business model feeds on weak minded gamers. Yes, its morally corrupt.
[...]

On the other hand F2P games are also good for people who do not have much time to play. I could have never played Planetside 1 because I don't have a credit card and I also couldn't justify paying a monthly fee because I cannot anticipate how big the workload is going to be in the next few weeks/months so it could be the case that the money would completely go to waste. I also loved the idea of Planetside, though, and it was the only MMO next to Eve Online and Dark Age of Camelot that I had any interest in.
So it's actually really great for people like me that Planetside 2 is going to be f2p because I can actually try it out without having to worry about wasting money and microtransactions will not expire after a month (at least I hope so).

News Comments > Linux Steam Client This Year?
20. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 16:16 yuastnav

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 16:03:
yuastnav wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 13:09:
That does not really make any sense. Linux was never an alternative to Windows in the first place. If anything then Linux was an alternative to UNIX because it was built as a UNIX-like system but with the additional plus point that it was completely free; I am not really sure what you are talking about because Linux is more than able to stand on its own, thank you very much.
What does any of that have to do with the point I made? My point was about how Linux has failed to become a credible alternative to Windows. It isn't as user friendly, as visually pleasing or as capable as Windows, especially when it comes to gaming. You can compare it to UNIX all you want but that's like comparing a leper to an Ebola victim - both have their own merits (oh look, which body part is going to fall off next?) but most people prefer to be healthy (Windows).

yuastnav wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 13:09:
It even sounds kind of condescending on your part because "Linux is an alternative but it does not live up to my standards etc".
It was meant to be. Microsoft stagnated with XP, faltered with Vista, barely changed much with 7 and now 8 is coming along and is forcing its radically different interface on people, yet still Linux has failed to get anywhere amongst consumers. The UI still looks like it was designed by a competition at a special needs school and even though it's free people don't have any interest in it.

It's great that Linux is now able to browse web pages and watch videos on YouTube. Now it needs to do the hard stuff - have a decent UI, support games and be user friendly.

I am sorry but it looks like you have no clue what you are talking about. You do realize that Linux is actually just a kernel, right? It has no such thing as a UI and what not.
So you want to talk about a UI, okay. Are you talking about a specific software? Are you talking about KDE, Gnome, e16/17, Fluxbox?
Are you talking about the specific interface that you have with your operating system? Be more specific, please, your simplistic views will not get you very far here.

And what do you mean "it has failed to get anywhere amongst consumers"? Among which consumers? Obviously most of the people that are consumers of Linux like it and use it and the same thing applies to Windows, Mac and any other operating system.

Although it's actually pointless talking to you because if you use such analogies as "Windows is healthy" and "Linux is a disease" then it's clearly that you have made up your mind and just trolling around.

News Comments > Linux Steam Client This Year?
16. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 13:09 yuastnav

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 12:56:
[...]
It still both surprises and annoys me that Linux has failed to become a credible alternative to Windows despite the lack of innovation in the Windows franchise. You'd think there must be some dedicated enough programmers with vision - or people that could work together to the same effect - to do something. There are some great concepts out there.

That does not really make any sense. Linux was never an alternative to Windows in the first place. If anything then Linux was an alternative to UNIX because it was built as a UNIX-like system but with the additional plus point that it was completely free; I am not really sure what you are talking about because Linux is more than able to stand on its own, thank you very much.
It even sounds kind of condescending on your part because "Linux is an alternative but it does not live up to my standards etc".

683 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo