Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 704 (Apprentice)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Oct 19, 2012, 11:41 yuastnav

I still don't get this. It says that Sleeping Dogs is 50% off but it actually isn't. At least not for me and apparently for other people, too.
How did Steam manage to fail again?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Oct 19, 2012, 05:50 yuastnav

Jerykk wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 23:15:
How is Risen 2 a horror game..? Not sure why it's included in the sale. Still, $17 is a great deal if you enjoyed Gothic 1, 2 and Risen.

Ah, here we disagree. I loved Gothic 1 and 2, Gothic 1 is probably my most favourite game ever. I played them to death.
And that is why I didn't really like Risen and will probably not play Risen 2 (I played a bit of the beta and didn't like it) - because it is just more of the same and nothing new.
PB's performance has been disappointing lately and the route they have taken with Risen 1/2 is not to my liking. Though I am probably in the minority on this one.

Hmm, looks like I can actually get Dead Island on GMG (not available on Steam because I live in Germany) which means that I will have to use VPN to circumvent the activation on Steam.
Not sure whether I'd really want to do that...

News Comments > Chaos on Deponia Trailer
3. Re: Chaos on Deponia Trailer Oct 14, 2012, 05:37 yuastnav

I bought it and never finished it, mostly because I agree with the RockPaperShotgun review on this one in the sense that the puzzles don't make any sense. Instead of having fun I was frustrated most of the time and eventually just used a walkthrough because many of the puzzles were just stupid and weird. :/

The main character is really annoying and that not in a charming way.

News Comments > Chris Roberts' Star Citizen Announced
94. Re: Chris Roberts' Star Citizen Announced Oct 12, 2012, 19:28 yuastnav

Looks interesting but also kinda fishy.

Guess I'll just wait for X Rebirth then. At least I can expect with a fairly high probability that it's going to be awesome, just like its predecessors.

This just seems to ambitious (and maybe even uncertain what it actually wants to be).

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. Oct 4, 2012, 05:25 yuastnav

Foxnews, ladies and gentlemen.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
112. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 2, 2012, 15:23 yuastnav

netnerd85 wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 14:12:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 13:55:
Generally speaking having traditions is a bad idea because it implants a certain way of thinking and hampers the progression of society.
I disagree strongly. Anyone can create their own family tradition and it shows respect for previous generations. Traditions generally mean something to someone or a group of people. There is a time to let go of old traditions that mean nothing after time.

Thanks giving, Christmas, mothers day, bucks night are all traditions. Are these bad? No way.

Are you just saying traditions are bad because of religious traditions?
[...]

Maybe I am just a bit disillusioned because people hold up traditions very high. What really gets to me is when people use this as an actual argument.
"Why are we doing this?"
"Because it's a tradition, of course!"
NO! This is so irrational and wrong in my opinion. :/
I just don't like this kind of reasoning, so I'm just a bit jaded in that respect. You can have traditions, of course, but there should be at least a reason for why you have this tradition other than that it's a tradition.
I think what I wrote is rather extreme so I take it back a little bit, but I'll stay by saying that there better be a good reason for a tradition other than that it's a tradition.

[edit]
Sadly I cannot rationalise all of my reasoning because I actually like christmas but cannot think of any non-religious reason why it should exist.
A holiday for people to get together, have a good time, give each other presents and eat heartily is not a very good reason because everyone should be free to do so on any day they choose so I'm kinda stumped on this one. :/

netnerd85 wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 14:12:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 13:55:
[...]
As that I am very opposed to the idea of marriage but it doesn't look like it's going away.
Why? What's wrong with marriage? What happened for you not to believe in the idea?

I just find it really strange that people need religious or governmental assurance that they live together. If people want to live together - that's fine! They can even have a ceremony and what not!
But why do people need this assurance?
For example there are people who may only want to live together for a certain amount of time but when they start their relationship they don't know that yet and marrying just adds another unnecessary layer i.e. when they finally find out they don't like each other they need a divorce and this just creates more problems.
Or polygamous relationships. For some reason this is looked down upon in many societies (I myself don't like polygamy but that is just my preference, there is nothing wrong if other people are okay with it) and this also is not encompassed by marriage. And it would also be difficult to do so.
People should be alive to live how they like and with whomever they like, so as long as all parties are comfortable with this arrangement, without having the need of such an, as I see it, artifical reassurance like marriage.

104. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 2, 2012, 13:55 yuastnav

D-Rock wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 13:01:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 12:38:
The question is not why gay people should be able to marry.
The question is why the hell it is forbidden for them to marry in the first place. That sounds like an arbitrary law, why not get rid of it?

Marriage in this country has religious influenced origins and has always been defined as a relationship between a man and a woman. I'd say that clear definition makes it more than just arbitrary. That's obviously changing and the issue at hand makes the question of why gay people should be able to marry the most important question. The answer to that question will ultimately determine whether or not it becomes legal.

If it's important to you, why not take the time to positively influence someone who's indifferent?

But if it has religious influence then it is arbitrary. For there are many different flavours of religion and they probably define it all in a different way. Apart from that there are also most likely cultures that either didn't have strong, religious influences and therefore didn't have religiously influences marriages or where marriage was separate from religion altogether.
So again: giving it religious influence and therefore making it just a bond between males and females makes it really arbitrary because instead of basing it on equality and freedom and other democratic values it bases it on a particular, outdated and archaic interest.

Generally speaking having traditions is a bad idea because it implants a certain way of thinking and hampers the progression of society.
As that I am very opposed to the idea of marriage but it doesn't look like it's going away. As far as I am aware married couple still get benefits when it comes to taxes (of course that may differ from country to country) and there is no reason why gay couples should be denied that freedom.

95. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 2, 2012, 12:38 yuastnav

D-Rock wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 12:33:
[...]
Marriage is a concept that is becoming less of a necessity in our society. No, it's not dead, but relationships outside of marriage are perfectly acceptible in our society. That's why I want to know more about what people see as a benefit to same sex marriage. Either way, I don't care, it's just out of curiousity.

The question is not why gay people should be able to marry.
The question is why the hell it is forbidden for them to marry in the first place. That sounds like an arbitrary law, why not get rid of it?

92. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 2, 2012, 12:29 yuastnav

at least it's now easy to find out what nicks cartman would use on the internet just by looking at this thread  

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind 2 Announced; Free for Owners of Original
6. Re: A Valley Without Wind 2 Announced; Free for Owners of Original Oct 1, 2012, 18:36 yuastnav

As much as I loved the game while I was playing it I cannot really disagree with the points you made.
It really is kind of a mess and man did it get repetetive after a while but when everything was still new it was so much fun just going out there and exploring the world, finding out new stuff etc.

I didn't even know you could get buildings as loot.
The way the base building metagame worked was that you could go to a screen where you could see the whole map and look at your settlements. These settlments would consist of squares which you could building buildings on. All NPCs that lived in the settlments had a number of action points per turn and you could order them to either go explore a cave and bring back other NPCs or make them build stuff or just chop up wood and what not.
The weird thing is that you could move around freely during your turn but for anything to happen you needed to end a turn and begin another one.

So again - it was messy and it probably wasn't such a great idea that they changed around the concept so much during the beta (afaik they released new versions almost daily), it almost looked like as if they didn't really think it through.
On the other hand they were really, really great when it came to fixing bugs and implementing new ideas (as I said: patches came almost daily) and they wanted to make a good game.

So I really hope it works out this time.

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind 2 Announced; Free for Owners of Original
1. Re: A Valley Without Wind 2 Announced; Free for Owners of Original Oct 1, 2012, 12:33 yuastnav

Sounds interesting.

I loved the first game but I played it mostly when they released the first public beta (for pre-orders) about a year ago and wasted a lot of time on it.
When the game was finally released I wasn't interested any more.

But I'm still intrigued about the changes they want to implement into the second game.
I really liked the base-building meta-game but from what I understand it was completely removed in one of the updates. Or am I mistaken?

48. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 1, 2012, 12:30 yuastnav

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 12:01:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:52:
It does not speak in your favour that you seek out this topic only to complain about how you are annoyed by its mere existence.

Oh sorry forgot to take my politically correct pills this morning. Gay people are just that people, like anyone else. Just because they like to bump uglies with the same gender doesn't make them special snowflakes who deserve their own "gaming convention"

Last I checked sexual orientation had zero to do with video games. All this is, is another cry for attention. Who gives a shit who they like to shack up with?

Listen to yourself, "They deserve protection" If they didn't have the need to constantly announce "We're gay pay us extra attention" No one would care in the first place

Political correctness does not exist so I am not even sure what you are trying to say.
Anyway, being homosexual certainly does not make them special, I agree with that part of the sentence, but I do not understand the second one. What does that have to do with making a gaming convention? Why should they not be allowed to make a gaming convention?
Most gaming conventions are targeted at the white, heterosexual males so the argument that "heterosexuals" should also have their own convention is not really invalid. From what I understand heterosexuals are still permitted to attend a homosexual convention and vice versa but that still does not explain why oh why homosexuals cannot make their own convention.

Then you are saying that this is all just a cry for attention. I do not see it this way but I would like to understand your position and therefore ask why you see it like that. Why do you think that's a cry for attention?
I really don't get this. They are just announcing a convention for homosexuals. So what? Big deal. Why are you then so upset about this?
I mean: if you don't care then you can ignore it. Right? It does not even inconvenience you in any way.

c.f. Verno's post concerning the last point.

45. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 1, 2012, 11:52 yuastnav

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:44:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:39:
RailWizard wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:25:
Verno wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:03:
RailWizard wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 10:35:
Verno wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 09:15:
Person on internet tries to handwave away their amusing homophobia, news at 11.

I neither fear gays nor want to be gay. Fucking amusing how often that's get thrown in there, like that just explains everything. It also completely defies logic, but don't let that stop you....

Education and social upbringing usually explain things actually but that's neither here nor there. In this case, you completely misunderstand what homophobia actually means. It's not just about being afraid, it's about irrational attitude and prejudice.

Yeah right, and that's exactly what everyone means when they use the term. Play stupid now.

Okay okay. You are not homophobic but homomisic.
Better? :)

So basically anyone who doesn't treat gay people as a entitled special interest group is either a homophobe or homomisic?

No but everyone who hates gay people is either homophobic or homomisic. Just as the words say. :)
Of course this only pertains to people who hate gay people because they are gay, i.e. a person could hate gay people but he may be just a misanthrope in which case he would hate all people and hate gay people for existing but not for being gay.

Sexuality is special in the sense that no person has any control over what one's sexuality is (even though some people on this site are of the misguided and uscientific opinion that this is not so) and as a minority it needs a certain amount of protection as long as such irrational behaviour like focused hatred towards homosexuality exists.

It does not speak in your favour that you seek out this topic only to complain about how you are annoyed by its mere existence.
This is a peculiar behaviour because a certain sexuality, or a lack thereof, is inherent to every person alive and some people are annoyed by that.

Allow me to demonstrate this through an analogy (yes, I can see the irony): If there was a group of people who could not survive in this atmosphere and had to wear a breathing mask all the time and they decided to make a gamer convention for exactly this group of people - naturally they would advertise this to get as many as people, sort of to create a safe haven where they would not have to wear these masks and what not. Would you also, as someone who breathes a mixture of oxygen and nitrogen as well as a minor percentage of othe gases, be angry at them because "it does get a bit much at times"?

There was actually science ficiton novel by Arkadi and Boris Strugatsky that included a similar theme.

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2012, 11:59.

43. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 1, 2012, 11:39 yuastnav

RailWizard wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:25:
Verno wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:03:
RailWizard wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 10:35:
Verno wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 09:15:
Person on internet tries to handwave away their amusing homophobia, news at 11.

I neither fear gays nor want to be gay. Fucking amusing how often that's get thrown in there, like that just explains everything. It also completely defies logic, but don't let that stop you....

Education and social upbringing usually explain things actually but that's neither here nor there. In this case, you completely misunderstand what homophobia actually means. It's not just about being afraid, it's about irrational attitude and prejudice.

Yeah right, and that's exactly what everyone means when they use the term. Play stupid now.

Okay okay. You are not homophobic but homomisic.
Better? :)

33. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 1, 2012, 05:11 yuastnav

UnderLord wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 21:36:
'Preference implies a choice' - False.
[...]

False.

pref·er·ence (prfr-ns, prfrns)
n.
a. The selecting of someone or something over another or others.
b. The right or chance to so choose.
c. Someone or something so chosen. See Synonyms at choice.

The english word "preference" very well implies a choice.

UnderLord wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 21:36:
[...]
I prefer English Mustard to German, nothing I can do about that.
[...]

As has been demonstrated above saying that you prefer a type of mustard over another is a deliberate choice that you have made for whatever reason you might have. Maybe because it tastes better.
But you are not forced to eat English mustard. You can very well eat German mustard, even if it is not to your taste.
You do not have that option in relation to your sexuality, though.

The choice of your analogy was unfortunate for incorrect. (as all analogies are, without exception, I would recommend to refrain from using them since the English language is powerful enough to explain abstract ideas and concepts by itself)

News Comments > Nexus 2 Kickstarter
36. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 29, 2012, 13:16 yuastnav

Stormsinger wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 20:14:
[...]
Are you seriously trying to tell someone what his expectations were, in contradiction to what -he- says they were?
[...]

No I am not. Read again.

Stormsinger wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 20:14:
[...]
I guess it couldn't possibly be that he has the slightest validity to his complaints...it must just be that he's a moron who doesn't know what he wants.
[...]

Why are you insulting him?
And no, it would be strange for me to assume that you are using sarcasm since I never said anything about what you are accusing me of.
I never directly addressed his complaints.

News Comments > Nexus 2 Kickstarter
18. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 28, 2012, 19:07 yuastnav

Well I really enjoyed Nexus.

The only problem was the game-breaking bug where it crashed during a sequence and didn't let me finish the game.

Apart from that it was a fantastic experience.

Stanly Manly wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 15:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 15:21:
Wow the posts in this topic make me sad to be a pc gamer. Too complicated? Nexus? A game you could win with the shift key and 1 mouse button?

And to the guy saying the game felt staged.. I have only 1 thing to say to that.. DUH.
Reread the genre, TACTICAL COMBAT SIMULATION. Read up what a tactical combat challenge IS. That is the very definition of STAGED COMBAT in a game. To complain that the game felt staged is like saying that Homeworld 2 had too much space. Or that there was too much shooting in Call of Duty. Tactical challenges HAVE to be staged. Or it would be brainless skirmish.

But the sad abilities of pc gamers we have here aside, why is this kickstarter 2 days shorter than Obsidian one?

Hah, the old "you are playing it wrong" bit. Do you dislike any games, Eraser? If you do, it's because your abilities are sub par, and you obviously don't understand the genre, duh.

That is not entirely correct. As it has been said it's not a strategy game but a tactical simulator. You are not correct in saying that he he is wrong in implying that you are not playing it correctly since you, probably, just have different expectations from it.
To use an analogy: it's like expecting Baldur's Gate or Fallout to be an action adventure rpg. It's not. Gothic or the elder scrolls are action adventures with rpg elements, Baldur's gate and Fallout are rpg games. There are similar mechanics but the games are fundamentally different. It's the same for Nexus and other games of a similar genre in which you control several ships in a strategical manner in space.

News Comments > Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt
2. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 10:38 yuastnav

"Certify minecraft for win8"?

What does this even mean?

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Sep 27, 2012, 10:05 yuastnav

I just hope this copy of Nexus works properly.
I still have the DVD case lying around here somewhere but I never finished the game because a certain cutscene always crashed the game (skipping it crashed the game, too) and I didn't found any solutions on the internet that worked for me.

Oh well, got it while it was 60% off and will try it out again when I find some time. It was definitely really good when it was working.

News Comments > Beneath a Steel Sky Sequel Confirmed
3. Re: Beneath a Steel Sky Sequel Confirmed Sep 24, 2012, 11:57 yuastnav

Wow, didn't expect that.
Sounds great, though! I hope they'll actually do it.

704 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo