Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 721 (Apprentice)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
51. Re: This Dec 16, 2012, 17:23 yuastnav

DNForever wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 14:31:
I'm either not understanding or not thinking enough then. How can you deny those concepts while accepting the existence of morals?

Morals exist, most people acquire them while growing up. But morals are different for everybody. They are influenced by the environment, school, parents, media etc. so, for a society, or part of it, there is a set of morals that these people try to abide by.
If you would talk about, say, moral superiority, you would need an entity which would decide that one set of morals is superior to another an. If people claim their morals are superior to the morals of either people this is, in my opinion, delusional, since morals are just different.
You could argue that one person has a stronger connection to their morals than another person (if they have the same set of morals) and say that this is moral superiority but in my opinion the flaw is that one argues that they have the same set of morals. If one person has a stronger connection to their morals it means, to me, that their morals are different from another person, with a weaker connection, because they are willing to give up or sacrifice more - or something like that.

For me immorality only exists in the case where you compare a person with a set of morals to a person with no morals at all - the person without morals would be immoral then.
But you cannot say that a thief is immoral because it might be that it is well within his set of morals to steal while the majority of a society would frown upon that. The only time when this could be immoral is when the thief would steal and with that act would go against his own set of morals but this poses two difficulties: a) would a person really go against their set of morals, i.e. is it possible, by definition, to do something like that or is a certain act already an indication that the particular person does not have morals that are connected to that act; b) you would have to know beforehand what kind of morals the thief have to call him immoral.
You could say that he is immoral towards your own set of morals when he steals but that would be kind of redundant, would it not?

[edit]
My problem may very well be a semantic one. I have not really thought about it yet.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 14:20 yuastnav

Techie714 wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 13:43:
[...]
1. Dishonored: I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I have been. This game is OUTSTANDING & worthy of your time & money. The story is pretty decent & the game play mechanics are solid & fun.
[...]

I was surprised by this, too.
I thought that I would be playing this like all the older Splinter Cell games, i.e. just knock out every guard and roam the map/level freely.
But because of all the cool abilities they give you I am actually able to restrain me and try to figure out patrol routes and go through the level undetected and without knocking out/killing as few people as possible.
I'm definitely enjoying this game more than I have anticipated.

49. Re: This Dec 16, 2012, 14:16 yuastnav

DNForever wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 14:03:
"Moral superiority does not really exist since immorality does not really exist either"

Morality may not exist as a physical concrete thing and yes it's subjective, but what an outright stupid and simplistic thing to say. Morals do exist as general consensus, they may be culturally specific but they do exist. I can tell you're high on like, whose truth is the real truth and nothing's for certain or anything but to deny morals is not a good idea. To me.

Read again. I denied the concepts of moral superiority and immorality (at least from one point of view). Never did I say that morals do not exist.
If you would have taken the time to read my whole post you would have realised that, at least through implication.
Furthermore I cannot see where you got the concept of "morality as a physical thing" from.

45. Re: This Dec 16, 2012, 11:36 yuastnav

Orphic Resonance wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 00:27:
[...]
I think it has alot to do with people getting off on being morally superior and righteous. [...]

Moral superiority does not really exist since immorality does not really exist either. People have different moral standards and they call each other immoral because they only obey their own set of morals and do not obey the ones of the other person.

Also, your logic is partly confusing to me.
You claim that everyone is an egomaniac, i.e. that this is the default condition of a human being but you also call that a failing. So it's a failing by definition, i.e. society is actually not supposed to work by working?
And by whose moral standards is it a failing? Yours? The society's?

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold
27. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 17:38 yuastnav

ItBurn wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 17:01:
Beelzebud wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 16:42:
An RPG based on Roadside Picnic could be amazing if done properly. I doubt we'll see anything like that, though.

Well... isn't that STALKER?

I read the book recently. It started amazing, but they spend too much time on the stuff we don't care about. It promises amazing things, but it never pays off.

That's mostly because it was never their intention to write about the stuff you care about; it is rather a traditional science fiction book, i.e. in its truest sense of the word.

The book may have been an inspiration for GSC but the game has barely any connection to the book at all. The title, Stalker, was also actually taken from the movie since it never shows up anywhere in the book.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Delayed
13. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed Dec 7, 2012, 13:07 yuastnav

Icewind wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 12:04:
All I think about now is this:

http://images.4chan.org/v/src/1354892285506.jpg

Love how these people get so riled up over silly things.

It's okay, you can still play DOA Volleyball if you want to see a pair of boobies that badly.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Specs
43. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 18:40 yuastnav

Beamer wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 13:44:
[...] only spent about 20 minutes in Far Cry 2 (really didn't like something about it), and have yet to play Far Cry 3 (but I will), so I'm judging the posted screenshots only.

I had to quite Far Cry 2 after about 2 hours because of a similar reason. Something was really off.
Personally I think that I didn't like the handling of the vehicles (which is excusable) and I didn't like the shooting, i.e. it didn't feel very good (which, in a FPS, is not excusable).
Maybe it was also that it was in a more desert like area.
I really loved Boiling Point which was set in Columbia afaik, kind of a tropical region. And while I should have loved Precursors (despite the bugs but since it was similar to Boiling Point I still wanted to play it) I couldn't get into it - again, maybe because everything looked so yellow. Though I am not sure.
Loved Far Cry (until the mutants came, which was the time I quit playing it) though, the green, tropical regions were far more interesting than the yellow rocky deserts of Far Cry 2.

News Comments > Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up
25. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 16, 2012, 04:30 yuastnav

spindoctor wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 19:02:
Beelzebud wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 16:07:
If only Blizzard had the kind of resources that InXile or MinMax games had, then they could afford to just do a proper Linux port.

But with a small indy studio like Blizzard you just have to take what you can get.

95% of all games do not have a Linux client, and I don't think Blizzard ever claimed that Linux was supported, so why single them out?

And how can people be surprised when their automated cheat detection system finds problems when people connect through an emulator on an unsupported environment?

It's not an emulator. There is a difference.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Nov 14, 2012, 05:29 yuastnav

Jerykk wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 04:41:
Darksiders 2 is definitely worth picking up if you enjoyed the first game. Some people say they loved the first game but hated the second, which makes no sense because the gameplay is the same in both. Darksiders 2 just has more of it, in addition to a loot system. I guess if you really hated loot systems, you might hate Darksiders 2? Who knows.

Does this also work the other way round?
I picked up Darksiders 2 yesterday because I was interested in it due to the very light level-up system, the loot and the quasi open world (e.g. exploration). I have played a few hours and, apart from some things and the horrible, horrible stuttering due to a broken vsync option, I quite like it.
Would I enjoy the first Darksiders?

News Comments > Black Ops II Disc Mix-up Reward
17. Re: Black Ops II Disc Mix-up Reward Nov 14, 2012, 04:16 yuastnav

Kosumo wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 02:19:
Should not Activision be in trouble for selling (even if it's just disk 2) someone else software?

I hope the FBI take them down like they did Megaupload!!

This would not happen if all software came on single 5 1/4 floppies.

>_>

It's most likely the fault of the CD pressing plant.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Nov 14, 2012, 04:01 yuastnav

Darksiders 2 is also 66% off on Gamersgate. Gamersgate also sells the Season Pass for 66% off, afaik Steam doesn't do that.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2012, 07:48 yuastnav

Rigs wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 17:37:
[...] They ARE a COMMUNIST STATE! Geezus...

=-Rigs-=

Uh, no?

A communist state has not existed in the whole lifetime of mankind.

News Comments > No PC Halo 4 Because It's "Designed Specifically for Xbox 360"
77. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 13:57 yuastnav

Meh, Halo was okay. Nothing special but I wouldn't call it forgettable because I am a sucker for Power Armour and the world/enemies actually looked nice, too.
The shooting was good, the regenerating shield makes as little sense as regenerating health (but for different reasons since there is no scientific basis how such a shield works) but I would've liked non-regenerating health anyway.

I agree with Beamer, though. The multiplayer was the part of the game that I had the most fun with. It was a really fun experience although the Banshee dogfights were kind of anticlimatic because, since they had the same turn rate, you would circle around each other and nothing would happen. Though it could be intense since the slightest mistake could give your opponent an advantage and kill you.
I also remember that you could shoot people out of the Banshees with the sniper rifle but I do not know whether that was actually true or part of my imagination.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2012, 14:02.

News Comments > Steam Linux Beta Applications
4. Re: Steam Linux Beta Applications Oct 31, 2012, 18:28 yuastnav

Four years ago I would have signed up without the hint of a second thought.
Don't have the time to play (many) videogames nowadays. Shame.

News Comments > Valve on Linux Plans
26. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 05:47 yuastnav

Riker wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 21:01:
I'm curious to see where it goes. For now, Linux remains too fucking ugly and user-unfriendly for me to care about it.

Haha I think the same thing about Windows. Every time I have to solve some kind of problem (which happens with an increasing rate) I think to myself "How can anyone properly use this? This is usability hell."
I never really understood that argument and I've been using Windows twice as long as Debian.

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Oct 19, 2012, 12:06 yuastnav

nin wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 12:04:
I think you found your problem.

Not really because I still don't understand how Valve managed to failed again.
If they can inlcude restrictions into their store surely they can do it for the main page. Anything else would just be lazy. :/

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Oct 19, 2012, 12:03 yuastnav

nin wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 11:46:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 11:41:
I still don't get this. It says that Sleeping Dogs is 50% off but it actually isn't. At least not for me and apparently for other people, too.
How did Steam manage to fail again?

http://imgur.com/NPdY5

http://imgur.com/gxmzf

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Oct 19, 2012, 11:41 yuastnav

I still don't get this. It says that Sleeping Dogs is 50% off but it actually isn't. At least not for me and apparently for other people, too.
How did Steam manage to fail again?

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Oct 19, 2012, 05:50 yuastnav

Jerykk wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 23:15:
How is Risen 2 a horror game..? Not sure why it's included in the sale. Still, $17 is a great deal if you enjoyed Gothic 1, 2 and Risen.

Ah, here we disagree. I loved Gothic 1 and 2, Gothic 1 is probably my most favourite game ever. I played them to death.
And that is why I didn't really like Risen and will probably not play Risen 2 (I played a bit of the beta and didn't like it) - because it is just more of the same and nothing new.
PB's performance has been disappointing lately and the route they have taken with Risen 1/2 is not to my liking. Though I am probably in the minority on this one.

Hmm, looks like I can actually get Dead Island on GMG (not available on Steam because I live in Germany) which means that I will have to use VPN to circumvent the activation on Steam.
Not sure whether I'd really want to do that...

News Comments > Chaos on Deponia Trailer
3. Re: Chaos on Deponia Trailer Oct 14, 2012, 05:37 yuastnav

I bought it and never finished it, mostly because I agree with the RockPaperShotgun review on this one in the sense that the puzzles don't make any sense. Instead of having fun I was frustrated most of the time and eventually just used a walkthrough because many of the puzzles were just stupid and weird. :/

The main character is really annoying and that not in a charming way.

721 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo