Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 749 (Apprentice)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Will "Look Into" Offline SimCity; New Patch Released
56. Re: EA Will Mar 11, 2013, 08:17 yuastnav

Optional nickname wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 08:01:
[...]
^ NKD, I am opening a game dev studio and I wish to hire you as lead director to a variety of games, for your post demonstrates what I thought was a lost character trait amongst the 7 billion people alive today. Thank god I am not alone in thinking about what is epically wrong with the gamer audience of today's day and age. Finally some substance showing after a long wrath of stupidity rage out there.

EA needs to get with the program, keep on voicing people !

You do know that not all gamers are completely shallow when it comes to principles, right? It's a minority but I don't think it is as bad as you make it out to be.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted
31. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 11, 2013, 06:36 yuastnav

A good reason not to play a game is because there is barely any game in it. I really loved the first two games but I don't think I will "play" the third one.
I really, really hope that it hurt Rockstar for pulling crap like this.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 10, 2013, 16:28 yuastnav

Yeah, I finally went ahead and bought it.
I just wished that there weren't so many damned wasteland servers. It is rather difficult to find a good game where you can actually work somewhat as a team and have some fun but it is not impossible.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Mar 10, 2013, 12:40 yuastnav

Rawbots is (or at least was yesterday) completely free.
At first I was not really interested in this but now that I have tried it out it is pretty awesome, definitely a lot of potential there (it is still in early alpha).

News Comments > Arma III Alpha Released
67. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 6, 2013, 06:07 yuastnav

DangerDog wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 19:56:
I know, there's all sorts of alpha stuff in the game. windows making a breaking glass sound but don't actually break. I did find one object I could sort of interact with, a bucket. I shot it and it turned over on its side - no physx type interaction just flipped over.

They've really improved the movement, especially when in close quarters. If the AI is up to the task you could make some really cool rainbow six type scenarios.

As much as I loved Rainbow Six (Raven Shield was probably the best one but I enjoyed Rogue Spear a bit more) the AI was never one of its strong points.
Currently I am on the verge of buying Arma 3 (it would be good to support a PC developer but I am really not sure how much fun I am going to have with it). Someone tip me over!

News Comments > Arma III Alpha Released
50. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 16:16 yuastnav

Quboid wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:44:
I always tell myself not to buy Arma, it's glitchy as hell and you'll never play it enough to justify it. Then I buy it. Then I find it's glitchy as hell and I don't play it enough to justify it.

Dammit I'm so tempted. I should wait for a demo but that looks awesome and it's a good price. The movement and feel of Arma2 was what killed it for me and apparently that's fixed.

Decisions decisions decisions.

Heh yeah, I am in a similar situation at the moment.

I think I only played a few hours of Arma 2 but I remember that I did play Operation Flashpoint quite for a bit; The campaign until you got your own command (I am not really up to this), after that I played around in the editor.

I am tempted but I am not sure whether I'll still have the time to figure it out. :/

News Comments > Natural Selection 2 "Gorgeous" Update This Week
22. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 27, 2013, 11:28 yuastnav

InBlack wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 05:50:
I bought it a month or so ago, still havent logged more than two hours with it. I like what I see but it feels very 'basic'. Cant find another word for it.
[...]

Shame because that game has a really steep skill kurve.

InBlack wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 05:50:
[...]
All the maps feel samey, and the gunplay is kind of weird. Its crap that I cant shoot and run for shit. If it featured a more run and gun gameplay ala Quake, Doom etc. (for the marine side at least) it would be more fun, as it feels like COD style shooting without the aiming options. I wish they would make up their mind.
[...]

Shooting without iron sight and then not being able to shoot while sprinting is actually not that uncommon. Oo
Shooting while sprinting would be rather stupid because you wouldn't be able to hit anything.

11. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 26, 2013, 16:48 yuastnav

Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 12:38:
Anyone from germany here and knows if this will be a censored version if bought from Germany?

My version is not censored, as far as I know.
I did preorder it back in May of 2009 when preorders first opened up so I don't really know what the current situation is.

10. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 26, 2013, 14:26 yuastnav

jdreyer wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 12:58:
I would buy this game if there were a single player component. Even just skirmish bot matches vs. the AI.

I doubt it'd be possible to make a decent Skulk/Lerk/Fade AI. (making a decent fade AI for the 3.0 or even 1.04 fade would be even more difficult).
Natural Selection was always about other people.

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 10:47:
[...]
And of course.. 128 players. And a 1:2 balance for Marines:Aliens ie. Aliens get twice as many players as marines. That way, you could build balance around that. And make huge swarms possible.... ;p

If you have such asymmetrical gameplay it is difficult to balance the game. Natural Selection was balanced for 6vs6 and basically everything beyond 8vs8 was a mess.
If you want something akin Battlefield 3 you would need to redesign large aspects of the game and the classes.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2013, 14:36.

News Comments > No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play
24. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 06:02 yuastnav

Sempai wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 05:01:
KilrathiAce wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 02:44:
Sony just scared to have their console players get pwned by PC lols

Dude, just stop..You make the PC adults look bad.

It is not an unreasonable assumption though.

News Comments > Destiny Announced for Consoles
44. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 18, 2013, 17:48 yuastnav

Jerykk wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 12:39:
Kajetan wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 05:39:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 05:02:
They revamped the equipment system, the skill system, the combat and the party system.
In this case: Revamping = dumbing down. A lot!

In comparison to Gothic, Risen 2 was nice and simple action game with a few RPG elements. I am GLAD, that the sales of Risen 2 weren't nearly as high as expected. As with Gothic 4: Arcania, the attempt to gain a broader audience for a once dedicated niche RPG franchise was not very sucessful. RPG fans do not want a watered down gameplay and "casual" players have no interest in a game they knew only as a complicated and time consuming RPG.

Not really sure what you're talking about. In the Gothic games, your armor was always full body. In R2, you could choose individual components, each with their own unique attributes and bonuses. That's not dumbing down. That's the exact opposite of dumbing down. Same with the skill system. In R2, they added a bunch of active abilities, in addition to the attributes and passive skills. They also added skill checks during dialogue, something sorely lacking from the Gothic series. Again, exact opposite of dumbing down. Then they added a proper companion system, unlike the Gothic games where you only had companions for certain quests. The new companions are much more fleshed out and have unique abilities that compliment the player. Again, exact opposite of dumbing down.

The only part that was actually dumbed down was the animals' day/night cycle reactions. Unlike Gothic, the animals in R2 never sleep, which was disappointing. Oh, there was also the fact that you could only choose from two factions instead of three, but this was compensated by the fact that the story missions were generally much more open-ended.

Damn you Jerykk, you actually kinda make me want to play Risen 2 now. :>
Well, I still hope that they get away from that action/adventure with rpg elements fantasy rpg to something else, like an action/adventure with rpg elements in a science fiction setting. :p
[edit]
I think I do remember that someone from that mentioned in an interview a long time ago, something about science fiction. Oh well, who knows what will happen. Still sad that KaiRo departed.

News Comments > Destiny Announced for Consoles
34. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 18, 2013, 03:34 yuastnav

Beamer wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 22:34:
[...]
But that's not the argument the original poster made. He called them idiots for making the game millions of people love.
[...]
I'm all for thinking Halo games suck, but I'll never say to someone at Bungie "gee, aren't you guys stupid for being one of the most successful studios of all time!"

In a sense he is right though. They are idiots for making the same game, if this is true, not because it brings them a lot of money but because they do it's the same game.
Gothic 1 is probably my most favourite game of all time and this is basically the same game that Piranha Bytes did over and over again. I didn't finish Risen, nor did I even buy Risen 2. Why? Because I am sick and tired of them making the same game, over and over again. I want something new.
And this is also how I feel about Bungie. If they want to make the same game to shill the masses with the same concept/gameplay so it makes them money - fine. But I will still think they are idiots because remaking the same game shows because they fail to innovate and are incapable of coming up with something new. Maybe I am wrong, maybe it will be completely different. If not then it is not unreasonable for calling them idiots.

To be honest though: I wouldn't even care; let them make their stupid game. But the fact that Jason Jones has the audacity to say "And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo ’cause nobody wants to." instead of being honest and saying someting like "We will not bring this game to the PC because we don't know anything about how to make a successful PC shooter/don't know how to make something new/don't want to make it for the PC just because/some other reason." is rage inducing. You call the other poster arrogant and stupid? Saying that no one plays shooters the way they used to is arrogant and stupid. Either there is a massive reality distortion field around him he is purposefully saying stupid stuff like that to troll PC gamers.
Because this is what that sounds like. It's on the level of 4chan trolling. Which doesn't speak in his favour and makes them even more forgettable.

News Comments > Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition
16. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 15, 2013, 04:13 yuastnav

So did they at least try to restore the balance?

I basically ragequit after they introduced a bunch of weapons while the other weapons that they have previously introduced, like the plasma rifle for the raider, where still fething unbalanced.

Don't get me wrong, I am not really that bad at this game, I was an okay shot, but it's just ridiculous when most raiders can hit kill you easily with that bloody plasma thing.
Maybe Hi-Rez thought that when they double the speed of the projectile they can just half the damage and everything is well but that's not really how it works and it was unfathomable for me why they didn't get that and why they didn't try to scale the stats non-linearly.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
7. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 10, 2013, 14:13 yuastnav

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 13:48:
Redmask wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 13:26:
Axis wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 12:55:
"Nancy Pelosi" makes me violent...

Making sense is so wrong, I too get violent when people do that.

You have to keep focus on the agenda here, they don't want to ban video games, guns are their target.

Win-Win.

News Comments > Origin for OS X
24. Re: Origin for OS X Feb 8, 2013, 20:43 yuastnav

Sho wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 18:34:
yuastnav wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 18:24:
Um, no. Something like that should not even be worth mentioning since any decent publisher/developer will do that anyway, without saying.
I don't want to sound like an entitled bastard but this is usually, or at least should be, standard practice with software and EA should not be praised for doing something exceptional. It should be merely acknowledged that they didn't feth it up this time.

No, that's bullshit. I agree that pay-once-play-anywhere is a good thing for customers, but it's wrong to claim that this has been historically the norm in the video game space. I've always had IBM-compatibles under the desk but was using a Mac laptop in the last decade, and I had to buy a bunch of games twice as distinct Windows and Mac versions, often from separate publishers even. And even in the digital distribution age I've sometimes had to license for different platforms separately. Heck, we're having this problem with iOS vs. Android now, too.

That doesn't mean we need to be grateful to EA for doing the right thing, of course - I don't think customers would let them get away with anything else, considering Steam and GOG do it this way.

There are several meanings to what I said.
It either means that this has been historically the norm, which I actually did not had in mind when I wrote that, or it means that there are not a lot of decent developers/publishers.
I can name a few developers (and their software), whom I respect but who did not follow that practice. On the other hand there are also some who do it for free.

It's just what I expect from software developers and when that doesn't happen it sucks. Nothing that can be done about that.

News Comments > Origin for OS X
16. Re: Origin for OS X Feb 8, 2013, 18:24 yuastnav

Bhruic wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 17:33:
Bard wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 17:03:
Bhruic wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 16:02:
My annoyance is with the people who kneejerk "EA bad!" for everything they do. I don't love EA. I don't particularily like EA. I agree that EA does lots of scummy things. But sometimes they do decent things,

Since when? name one!

How about from the quote up above?
With dual-platform play, gamers will buy a game once and be able to download it for both PC and Mac (if the game is available for both platforms). After purchasing the game via Origin on one platform, as soon as a player logs into their other device, the game will appear ready for download in the Origin “My Games” tab.

Allowing people to buy the game once and play it on both systems is a pretty decent move on EA's part.

Um, no. Something like that should not even be worth mentioning since any decent publisher/developer will do that anyway, without saying.
I don't want to sound like an entitled bastard but this is usually, or at least should be, standard practice with software and EA should not be praised for doing something exceptional. It should be merely acknowledged that they didn't feth it up this time.

News Comments > Morning Patches
7. Re: Morning Patches Feb 7, 2013, 12:54 yuastnav

Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 11:00:
Cutter wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 10:00:
Where are the screens of your cool rig, Creston?

FFS, Cutter! I posted those several days ago!

Edit : Added smiley.

Creston

So how is the game?
I loved King of the Road and also played a bit of Rig'n'Roll but didn't like 18 Wheels of Steel all that much?
Is Euro Truck Simulator 2 good? I only played the demo enough to see that my PC, which can play Crysis on the highest settings, if this is even any benchmark to go by anymore, but ETS2 is apparently too hardcore.
The driving also doesn't work that well with the keyboard, unlike the aforementioned games, so I am not whether I will buy it in the near future, but I'm stil interested to know in how it compares to the older truck simulation games.

News Comments > John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support
35. Re: John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support Feb 6, 2013, 11:46 yuastnav

|RaptoR| wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 11:18:
[...]

Quake, Quake 2, and Quake 3 had native linux binaries, but it's cool to focus on a browser-based version of Quake 3 to drive home your (invalid) point

My point is not invalid because his point wasn't. If he had included Doom 3 and Quake 4, which actually did have Linux binaries, then that would be a different matter altogether, however he specifically concentrated on Quake Arena (so he probably means Quake 3 Arena) and Quake live. Since he didn't even mention Quake 1 and Quake 2 you probably misread what he actually wrote.

Beamer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 11:23:
Quake Live isn't even browser based. yuastnav is either misunderstanding the game or what "browser based" means.

Hold on, what do you actually understand by "browser based"? The game exists locally on your machine and is accessed via a browser plugin. What is your definition?

headkase wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 11:37:
[...]
Having every developer writing for Linux is stupid. What needs to be done is that the engine developers write Linux-back-ends. When you develop your game for CryEngine 3 you don't say "oh my gosh! I have to write to the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC API!" No, shit. With CryEngine 3 you press the "deploy" button and the code needed at the lower levels - stuff dealing with operating systems and graphics and audio API's - is abstracted away from your content. If a engine developer makes an OpenGL back-end the developer of a game doesn't have to give two shits about it. They just press "deploy." Sorry, they have to press deploy 4 times: once each for Xbox 360, PS3, PC, and Linux. A properly written game engine will abstract away the lower level details and make it so a game developer doesn't have to give a single flying fuck about them.

Wouldn't that make the code extremely inefficient?

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2013, 11:54.

27. Re: John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support Feb 6, 2013, 11:13 yuastnav

Beamer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 11:09:
yuastnav wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 11:04:
Beamer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 11:01:
[...]
You understand that he writes the engines, not programs the games and missions, right?
That he has nothing to do with that?

I may be mistaken but didn't he say during a Q&A at Quakecon that he actually doesn't write the engines anymore because there are other people at his company who are just much, much more better at that than he is?
He may have been a good programmer in the 90s but that time is long gone.
If I think back to that Q&A in 2011 it seems more like he is a sort of designer who looks at how the gameplay and design decisions fit together and whether he likes it or not.

Though I have to admit that I could not really figure out what exactly his task was at that company besides being at the top.

He almost definitely does the Tim Sweeney model of doing graphics research. He's probably always working a generation of the engine out. It's other people actually taking his research and high level programming and turning it into something you can make games on.

In other words, he's doing the intellectual, fun, and hard work and others are doing the more gruntish and tedious work (not that it isn't hard and intellectual.) Carmack isn't writing networking code or physical inputs, but you'd better believe he's writing the insanely brilliant lighting algorithms, or at least the basis for them.

Okay. I actually never knew that he was such a good mathematician.

23. Re: John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support Feb 6, 2013, 11:04 yuastnav

Beamer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 11:01:
[...]
You understand that he writes the engines, not programs the games and missions, right?
That he has nothing to do with that?

I may be mistaken but didn't he say during a Q&A at Quakecon that he actually doesn't write the engines anymore because there are other people at his company who are just much, much more better at that than he is?
He may have been a good programmer in the 90s but that time is long gone.
If I think back to that Q&A in 2011 it seems more like he is a sort of designer who looks at how the gameplay and design decisions fit together and whether he likes it or not.

Though I have to admit that I could not really figure out what exactly his task was at that company besides being at the top.

749 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo