Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 755 (Graduate)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Natural Selection 2 Free Weekend
18. Re: Natural Selection 2 Free Weekend & Sale Mar 22, 2013, 09:02 yuastnav

Undocumented Alien wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 08:51:
yuastnav wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 20:09:
Beelzebud wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 17:14:
Omni wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 10:16:
I don't think I will destroy my good memoires I had from playing this back in the days when it was a mod.

The wizard lost he's magic stick.

Having played this before it was cool, you and your hipster pals will have plenty of time to listen to phonographs.

This has nothing to do with that. Natural Selection 2 is a different game from Natural Selection in many respects and these two games have a different overall "feeling" to them.

I played for a bit, I didn't find it shockingly different. Some changes, but overall I knew what I was doing from my memories of the old MOD.

There are a lot of small differences.
- As a marine you now buy your weapons yourself.
- The aliens have a commander now.
- The structures of the aliens have been redesigned in some ways, not only how they work but also sometimes what they do
- The attacks of the aliens have been redesigned
- The blink of the fade is different now, it much more resembles how the fade blinked in 1.04, i.e. before the change in 2.0
- The aliens, most notably the skulks, cannot bunnyhop anymore
- There is now the nanogrid or powergrid or whatever it is called. In some way it limits/changes how the marines can build structures
- There is now dynamic infestation
- Flamethrower! Yay!
- The grenadelauncher is now mounted to the lmg! Nay!
- I am not sure about this one but are there still stims in there? I know that there are personal shields but what about the stim packs or adrenalin packs that were introduced in 3.0?
- The marines now have a melee attack for their lmg :/
- And the marines can sprint
- The onos doesn't have devour anymore, right? At least I have never seen it. Kinda sucks, because this was the go to way to get rid of Heavy Armour
- The heavy armour is sort of a really small mech now instead of a power armoured suit :/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

PC Gaming > Dishonored
2. Re: Dishonored Mar 22, 2013, 06:40 yuastnav

I think I can agree with most of what you said but surprisingly this game was one of the most enjoyable games I have played in 2012. And it took me a while, too, since I tried to explore and get everything (which I didn't manage to do, I think I found all the charms and runes but not all of Sokolov paintings). Steam says it took me about 27 hours to get through the campaign which feels about right.
It is true that I didn't use most of the available powers and pistols but that didn't really bother me because I don't think that there has ever been a game where I thought "yeah, most/all of these powers/magic runes/spells/whatever are really useful". That just doesn't happen. I find a few that work for me and go with that. Sad? A bit but what are you gonna do.
It was a bit too easy, though, I was almost constantly using dark vision. On the other hand I loved the exploration aspect and that you were able to blink away if there danger. The game had some really tense moments.

What powers you use probably depends on your playstyle, though. Personally I tried to get a low chaos ending and it worked and stopping time did help in some situations, for example when I tried to kidnapp that Boyle woman and had to carry her through a room full of guests.

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Mar 22, 2013, 06:21 yuastnav

mag wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 05:23:
[...]
They didn't add any PC-specific features, but they did include the new content and priced the game low lower to start.
[...]

Fixed.

Although 40 Euro (or your regional equivalent, which for most publishers means a direct numrical conversion) is not really low.

I guess I'll play Dark Souls eventually but not before it goes below 10 Euro.

News Comments > Steam Opens Early Access
44. Re: Steam Opens Early Access Mar 21, 2013, 20:12 yuastnav

Krizzen wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 19:19:
Whew! At first I imagined Valve was offering a subscription based service for early access. Looks like they'll maintain their "do no evil" image!

yuastnav wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 16:55:
Kerbal Space program also looked interesting (at least judging by this article from Christopher Livingston on PCGamer, guess I gotta try the demo).

If you have more than a passing interest in space, Kerbal Space Program is AMAZING. It's nice to see it hit Steam (in some form). You'll probably be hitting the Wiki and forums if you don't know what an apoapsis or periapsis are. It's such a rewarding experience to build your own rocket and payload, launch it into orbit, and land on the moon.

I finally played the dame and I must say that this is really cool.
Whereas I am still not sure about Prison Architect because apparently the finished product will be cheaper I am seriously considering buying Kerbal Space Program.
There are still a lot of things I need to get used to but it's much easier to pick up than I initially thought.

16. Re: Natural Selection 2 Free Weekend & Sale Mar 21, 2013, 20:09 yuastnav

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 17:14:
I don't think I will destroy my good memoires I had from playing this back in the days when it was a mod.

Having played this before it was cool, you and your hipster pals will have plenty of time to listen to phonographs.

This has nothing to do with that. Natural Selection 2 is a different game from Natural Selection in many respects and these two games have a different overall "feeling" to them.

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: Game Reviews Mar 21, 2013, 12:31 yuastnav

Well, the levels in Bioshock were kinda pretty.
As a game I found it to be incredibly boring though. Don't really care about the second and third game.

Though it is both hilarious and sad to see people who rage about preorders and how that's a horrible thing and then made a 180 turn when greenmangaming said that every preorder of Infinite receives a copy of X-Com.

Moral principles seem to be nigh to worthless to some people.

News Comments > Op Ed
123. Re: Op Ed Mar 21, 2013, 12:18 yuastnav

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 08:29:
[...] You democrats should be ashamed at yourselves.

Random member of arbitrary group thinks in a certain way. Clearly this means that all the members of that arbitrary group think exactly the same.

Furthermore all statistics are open to interpretation and have a different meaning depending on the context they are being used in or they are being the taken out of.

11. Re: Natural Selection 2 Free Weekend & Sale Mar 21, 2013, 12:09 yuastnav

Didn't destroy all those thousands of hours worth of NS1 memories. :p

In a way it is less competitive because they removed features like bunny-hopping, sliding along the walls to gain speed, duck walking for silence etc. (although they already removed some of these "features" in 3.0) but I have a feeling that Natural Selection 2 is the game they (or at least Flayra) always wanted to make.
This dark, atmospheric, asymmetric rts shooter where you always have to be careful.

The performance is not great though, as already mentioned. And for some reason the netcode is terrible, even worse than in NS1.
There were instances where I ran against a motionless marine and bit him point blank, i.e. no way I could have missed and only half of my bites actually did any damage. We even had a comparable latency of under 50ms but the server dropped the packets anyway, for some reason. Of course that can happen from time to time but with this game it happens quite often.

Loved the original, loved it to death. Tried to do the same with the sequel but it was not meant to be. :/
I wouldn't say that it's unbalanced but these "lag" issues ruin all the fun for me.
Still a great game, great concept and great execution. The technical is lacking, though.

News Comments > Guncraft Trailer
5. Re: Guncraft Trailer Mar 21, 2013, 05:10 yuastnav

Last time I tried to play it it didn't go very well, mostly because the interface is too clunky.
These games seem to have a problem with that, Minecraft also has problems with that.

News Comments > Saints Row 4 CE Survey
13. Re: Saints Row 4 CE Survey Mar 21, 2013, 05:03 yuastnav

mag wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 01:19:
NKD wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 23:54:
Cutter wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 20:54:
Seeing as this is really just a glorified expansion how about a low entry price point. I'm much more all over that than a CE.

What information do you have that suggests this won't be a full game with lots of content?

They didn't completely rewrite the engine for a same-generation console game, therefore clearly it's an expansion pack.

This is a reason not to buy the game why exactly?

Gothic 2 used the absolutely same engine as Gothic 1. Sure it looked a bit prettier because the models had a higher poly count and the textures were higher resultion but they didn't rewrite much, considering they also had only a team of about 13 people and released it 1.5 after the first game and yet it was chock-full of content worth at least 50 hours for the first playthrough.
Using the same engine is not a bad thing, content and gameplay is king.

30. Re: Steam Opens Early Access Mar 20, 2013, 18:01 yuastnav

Dev wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 17:57:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 17:53:
This is a very interesting development. It's like Steam's answer to Kickstarter, but with no go/no go goal. The remarks don't seem to indicate whether the feedback will be restricted to purchasers only. Currently, Steam forums are totally open. You'd think that the devs would want to restrict the forums only to people who purchased the game.
Well that would take extra work on valve's part. The uninteresting and unfun kind.

This is actually a sad truth that I am reminded of every time I use Steam (or rather use the steam interface beyond just playing games).

22. Re: Steam Opens Early Access Mar 20, 2013, 16:55 yuastnav

It has been probably half a year since I've last played Starforge and there was not much to do back then. You could shoot at some monsters and there was very basic building implemented. So how is it now?

Also, is Prison Architect that good? Like others said the price is a bit too high but then again I spent 25 Euros on the Arma 3 Alpha and the game turned out to be really good (if you find a decent multiplayer server that is; also the performance deteriorates after some time and it runs poorly no matter what graphics settings I use).

Kerbal Space program also looked interesting (at least judging by this article from Christopher Livingston on PCGamer, guess I gotta try the demo).

News Comments > E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Soon
2. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Soon Mar 15, 2013, 20:33 yuastnav

Yeah, this game was surprisingly good, it was definitely a lot of fun, even if a bit rough around the edges. Shame that more people didn't give it a try.

And then there were people like TotalBiscuit who never really bothered to play it properly and didn't badmouth it but didn't give it the credit it deserves. It's really astounding how someone, whose favourite game is Deus Ex and who therefore is used to complexity in a videogame, has such an incompetent point of view of this game.
It's no Deus Ex of course, not anywhere near it but still a good shooter in its own right.

News Comments > POE Boasts 2M Players; Patch Details; Supporter Packs Update
17. Re: POE Boasts 2M Players; Patch Details; Supporter Packs Update Mar 15, 2013, 14:14 yuastnav

MisterBenn wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 13:51:
Yeah I bought the $20 premium tab bundle too, I needed to support them for all the time I've spent in game. I might buy more but the cosmetic effects are pretty underwhelming. Their ethical microtransaction system really is painless from a player's point of view though, I hope we see some figures showing GGG's making good money from this game. It would be a shame if they did everything right and almost no one gave them money and the conclusion was that companies do need to fuck over the consumer to make any profit.

This is actually the reason why I decided to spend 25 bucks on this. It was the first free2play game that I saw where none of the microtransactions had ANY impact on gameplay (well, maybe except for the depot limitation but cluttering up your depot is probably not a good idea anyway).

News Comments > POE Boasts 2M Players; Patch Details; Supporter Packs Update
6. Re: POE Boasts 2M Players; Patch Details; Supporter Packs Update Mar 15, 2013, 11:37 yuastnav

InBlack wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 11:00:
Verno wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 09:46:
I haven't really played much since the last patch, how were the melee changes? I really enjoy the game but I feel like build diversity in hardcore is limited by the survivability nodes that are essentially required in almost every build. I don't mind this so much but to dedicate so many of them to it feels off somehow. I'm not a big fan of Chaos Damage/Resist either, it felt like pandering to the streaming crowd who were complaining that difficulty wasn't there. They added this weird arbitrary resist with only a few nodes in the tree as a quick fix and its awkwardly inserted into the game.

Taking a bit of a break while some patches accrue, I was getting a bit burnt out on my melee dudes since it felt like only a few skills were ever viable for the builds I was doing.

Melee classes still feel a bit gimped, although the duelist got a major overhaul last patch and is right now kicking major ass. My main is a ranger and I have built her as a pure damage dealer with maybe one point in a % life skill. Im doing quite well with her ATM. (lvl 51) The chaos damage/resist is still off, monsters do a shitload of that and the items with chaos resist are few and very far between.

The biggest improvements seem to be in the feel of the game and the graphics themselves. The game is getting more and more polish with every single patch and its noticable.

Its still a long way off from being anywhere near balanced (at least with regards to melee) but even at this point I would recommend this game over Diablo3.

P.S. The servers are having a hard time in the last couple of days as it seems the popularity of this game is soaring and some noticable lag has appeared as a result. This is my biggest gripe with the game ATM at peak times solo play is impossible...

Did you use a specific build guide or did you do it as you felt?
I haven't played too much and am in the third act with my Ranger, level 31, and it's pretty difficult. :/
I am not sure whether my build is wrong or whether it's the nature of the third act because a lot of people in chat always complain about how difficult the third act is.
I'm just unsure of whether I skilled her wrong and will run into problems later.

News Comments > Saints Row 4 in August
24. Re: Saints Row 4 in August Mar 15, 2013, 11:32 yuastnav

Too bad it looks exactly like the third game but that was to be expected, given the hardware limitations of the current generation of consoles.
The graphics of Saints Row 3 were not bad, don't get me wrong, I really liked them but I'd wish they improved them a little bit. I didn't get that impression from the trailer.

Anyway, I'll probably cave in and preorder it because I'm a sucker for Saints Row. And it will feel great.

News Comments > Ace of Spades Free Weekend
4. Re: Ace of Spades Free Weekend Mar 15, 2013, 07:17 yuastnav

Yes, this game is not very good. The old, free version was more interesting. Sadly they fethed up when they made this one.

The idea behind is interesting but the interface itself is clunky and manipulating the world does not work very well nor does it have much purpose.
It could probably be a bit better if they made the map smaller and gave the teams some time before the actual game started to fortify their base. They didn't and thus the game does not work very well.
Apart from that it's not very well made.

Some indie developers make the movement, the controls and the overall feeling of the game "fluent", it just feels good, like in Trine or in Unepic, to name to arbitrary examples. A fps example would be Warsow (although this is based on the quake 2 engine and thus the reason why the movement is good) but Ace of Spades just doesn't feel any fun, nor is it fun to play.

News Comments > New Thief's New Garrett Profiled
23. Re: New Thief's New Garrett Profiled Mar 14, 2013, 17:06 yuastnav

Blackhawk wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 15:29:
yuastnav wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 12:40:
Blackhawk wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:44:
[...]
You sound like my nine year old being offered a new food he's never tried. There's no way to know if it is going to suck. It may be a great game.
[...]

If your nine year old turned out to be like that after years of being offered new variations of his most beloved dishes which then turn out to be complete rubbish then this analogy would be a little bit closer to the truth.

You missed the point. [...]

I would not necessarily say that. It's just that so many people have been burned with new, modernised, consolised, remakes of their old beloved games that they just don't expect anything good anymore.
You keep an open mind but not everyone does that and sometimes I don't even know whether I can blame them.

News Comments > New Thief's New Garrett Profiled
8. Re: New Thief's New Garrett Profiled Mar 14, 2013, 12:40 yuastnav

Blackhawk wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:44:
[...]
You sound like my nine year old being offered a new food he's never tried. There's no way to know if it is going to suck. It may be a great game.
[...]

If your nine year old turned out to be like that after years of being offered new variations of his most beloved dishes which then turn out to be complete rubbish then this analogy would be a little bit closer to the truth.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
69. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 14, 2013, 12:03 yuastnav

PHJF wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:30:

[...]
Science is in essence experimentation repeated until a clearly predictable result is defined.
[...]

That is not entirely correct for two reasons:
1. You only described experimental science. There are also theoretical sciences that come to conclusion based on mathematical calculations. The anti-particle is a good example of this because the idea, that something like that exists, wasn't even conceivable until the theoretical predictions of Dirac.
It was an experiment that verified this, yes, but the prediction itself was theoretical.
2. If science would only describe theories that completely predict a phenomenon then quantum mechanics would not be a scientific theory. It predicts a lot of outcomes but it ultimately fails to predict which one will actually happen.

[...] I wouldn't have arrived at that conclusion from blind faith but from inductive or deductive reasoning (which I learned in the 8th grade). [...]

I would be careful with inductive reasoning.
If I use inductive reasoning to say that the sun will rise tomorrow I need to have faith in the fact that the universe does not change in a way that science wasn't able to predict due to a lack of data; there are a lot of things we do not know yet.

[...]
No. We don't know the end (if there even is one) of the trail.

I think Beamer was talking about the end of science, not the end of everything. While the end of everything arguably does not exist you can actually historically guess when scientific argumentation may have begun.

[...]
And what we learn from science directly improves our quality of life, whereas religion's only practical function is to give people hope.
[...]

Which also improves their lives because it gives them, psychologically speaking, comfort which can result in physiological changes.

[...]
Science will make gods of men.
[...]

I know you are being hyperbolic but that is impossible by definition because you will never be able to create energy out of nothing. That is, most likely, scientifically impossible.

[...]
Actually, that already happened back in the Dark Ages. Ironically it was monks who painstakingly preserved what knowledge humanity had by then accumulated.

Afaik most of the preserved knowledge that led to the renaissance actually came from the middle east, i.e. from the Arabic countries which were the stronghold of civilisation.

[edit]
Hmm, my syntax seems to be faulty but currently I don't see the problem (i.e. where I forgot to open or close a quote). Sorry about the mess

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2013, 12:51.

755 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo