Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 755 (Graduate)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 18, 2014, 14:20 yuastnav

Cutter wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 10:45:
Ok, really. All this PC shit going on of late really, really, really, really, really, really needs to stop.

“Gaming has become kind of xenophobic, and almost rightly so, because people want to protect their own and ‘keep it within the family,’” Conn said. “But I don’t think that should mean that we can’t grow either. It seems like there are a lot of people who resist even the idea that a lot of culture isn’t exactly the most friendly to women or gays or queer people in general. But there are small changes that I think won’t affect most people—that won’t harm the culture of gaming—but will make a lot of other people feel a lot better and more welcome and accepted.”

Yeah, we get it already. We've got it for decades now. If we're white heterosexual males we're monsters oppressing everyone else and making their lives a living hell. Well, I guess we may as well go out and join the Klan and Nazi parties in that case seeing as we're all so evil to begin with. Woops, the Satanists too. Musn't forget that we have to join the Church of Satan as well.

You know, that's how you interpret it.
I'm not free from sin but somehow when I read something like that I don't feel guilty because I don't feel spoken to, even though I'm a heterosexual white male.
It speaks volumes that you always get pissed off about these things, as if it hits too close to home. How many skeletons do you hide in your closet?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
9. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 15, 2014, 10:37 yuastnav

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 10:33:
http://www.p4rgaming.com/mojang-prepares-to-make-kinect-sports-games/

When I read the article I had to check the date to make sure it's not April the 1st 'cause it damn sure reads like it is.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Launch Pricing and Preorder Bonus
61. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Pricing and Preorder Bonus Sep 13, 2014, 16:18 yuastnav

So I finally decided to buy this game and started playing it a few minutes ago. My first Elite game. Am playing with mouse and keyboard and I managed to dock properly on my very first try. Yay. Feel so proud.
I do have a Thrustmaster T.16000 but I'm not sure whether I am going to use it.

By the way, what key do I use when I'm in a sub-menu (like in the menu where you request docking permission) and I want to go back?

Edit:
And is there a way to use the mouse inside the cockpit? For example in the X games you can press a button which detaches the mouse from steering the ship and gives you a mouse cursor so you can click around.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
10. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 12, 2014, 03:07 yuastnav

So is that how it works nowadays? If you don't like what someone has to say you just call him a troll and basically try to kill all discussion because you don't want to admit you're wrong?  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 11:58 yuastnav

Yes people, please whine even more. Your tears are delicious.

And before anyone says anything: Instead of writing something constructive I decided to continue on the level set by the lovely people who posted before me.

News Comments > Sims 4 Pirate Copies Pixelated
27. Re: Sims 4 Pirate Copies Pixelated Sep 4, 2014, 16:02 yuastnav

Meh, I picked up Sims 3 during one of the last Steam sales and played it for a bit. I actually liked it.
What intrigues me about games like these is the simulation underneath. You shape the world in some way and try to control the lives of your sims but the interesting part is watching how everything plays out. I have the same fascination with Dwarf Fortress.
Unfortunately the algorithms that drive the sims in the Sims games aren't that sophisticated and it doesn't seem like it's the focus of the devs.

News Comments > Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Video
3. Re: Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Video Sep 3, 2014, 07:56 yuastnav

Yeah, Nexus: The Jupiter incident is awesome. I never finished the game, though, even though I started it like three times or so and every time I got a little further.
Hmm, same thing happened to me with Fallout: Tactics, now that I think about it.

GSB2 looks as boring as the other Gratuitous games.

News Comments > The Sims 4 and Patch Released
13. Re: The Sims 4 and Patch Released Sep 3, 2014, 07:53 yuastnav

JSP wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 07:20:
[...]
In addition, no 64-bit support (usable RAM still limited to 3.5 Gb)

Are you serious? Was this game made in the 90s or something?

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 19:12 yuastnav

I'm still curious, what was the reason to use the CryEngine for this game? I thought that a space sim would require its own engine more than any other genre.  

News Comments > Op Ed
244. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2014, 19:34 yuastnav

Yes, this is semantics but in this case it is important because to me a study is a peer-reviewed publication. As far as I know this was the case when it came to the video game violence debate (however flawed the review process may have been; also I may remember this not correctly) but in this case it is just a series of videos that may serve as an educational resource but is in no way scientific.
Textbooks are not necessarily scientific, at least that has been my experience a few times. Hell, look at creationism and intelligent design.

News Comments > Op Ed
240. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2014, 18:54 yuastnav

It's still not the same because she doesn't claim it's a study.
Although I agree that the thought that media influences your behaviour and thinking has merit.

News Comments > Op Ed
236. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2014, 17:38 yuastnav

Or it could be that these are two completely different issues.

On one hand you had so-called studies which tried to link violence to video games.
On the other hand you have someone focusing on a specific trope and pointing out a number of video games which use this trope. Not a study. And is not trying to say that video games lead to sexist behaviour.

I don't really get the comparison with Jack Thompson.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
14. Re: Saturday Previews Aug 31, 2014, 09:39 yuastnav

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 30, 2014, 17:16:
A flight simulator in space just feels outright wrong. Why are so many space games so flawed?

Yeah, I always want to have as much realism as possible sensible in a video game but then I tried "Babylon 5: I've found her" and this one other free multiplayer game from Microsoft, forgot its name...
Anyway, flying without an atmosphere slowing you down and constantly battling against inertia is so damn tiring. Dogfighting in a space simulation doesn't make any sense whatsoever but the alternative is just utterly tedious.

News Comments > Op Ed
196. Re: Op Ed Aug 30, 2014, 19:13 yuastnav

Looks like someone has replaced ASeven by a bot that posts links.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
73. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 20:24 yuastnav

Cpmartins wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 20:14:
[...]
The only video I linked was to Anita's one.

It would be nice? Why'd it be nice? So every writer out there should include both sexes in relevant positions because that'd "be nice?". And here we come to the problem don't we. I don't want people to be nice. I want them to be good. If someone makes a game about a woman murdering every single men out there for her own enjoyment I wouldn't try to tell them that's wrong. I just maybe wouldn't buy it (who knows, it may be a good enough game, and I might even do buy it), and move on. I don't believe for one second anyone would be influenced by it and would start showing misandry towards men because of it. And that's the whole point in anita's videos. She told us barefaced that the games ARE influencing us. I don't know about you, but I am no sheep.

First of all, you will be influenced. But I am nit-picking because I am not saying that you will be influenced in any noteworthy way. But we're all always influenced by the media we consume, regardless of how much it changes. Again, just nit-picking.

One problem with what you described is is that sexism (and racism etc.) is asymmetric. Historically speaking women were suppressed and that's why a game about a woman murdering men wouldn't be as problematic as the opposite.
Remember that you are circling out one group, one particular group, for whatever messed up reason you thought out. If it's a guy killing black dudes, it's racist. If it's a guy killing women, it's sexist. Women and black people were thought of as less worth and by making a game about something like that you are reinforcing that reasoning and giving it the merit it doesn't have.
As far as I understand that is a cultural thing, though. A friend told me that in Denmark people are much more open to homophobic and racist jokes and what not but that's probably because it's perceived differently.
If we were all completely unprejudiced and rational beings then having a game where a guy killed women or a women killed men would be no problem because we could shrug it off. But if we were that unprejudiced why would such a game even exist; where would it come from, what would be the source or the initial frame of reference for that idea? Only because it can?
I'm not sure about that.

71. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 20:10 yuastnav

Redmask wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 19:54:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 19:34:
Of course you need a means to get your point across. Like Anita. Though it looks like that she's not really useful as a vehicle for that since she has lost a lot of credibility.
Yes, her reasons may be selfish but rape threats? Come on. This is some fucked up stuff right there.

A dishonest message from people with questionable motives does no one any good. The fact that you would accept something blindly simply because it might have some lofty moral purpose in a very narrow context is troubling. As for these rape threats, I'd suggest you take a closer look at the evidence and decide if they're legitimate or not without just taking her word for it. She isn't even garnering these in actual games from gamers but instead through anonymous sources on twitter.

Who said that I accepted it blindly? I was of the opinion that a number of video games are sexist long before she even made her video. Her video just reinforced my believes because I saw that I wasn't the only one who thinks like that.
The problems that I have with her is that I don't agree with all the examples and that I don't how much of what she said is true and how much is a lie. Which links to another problem, i.e. her motives are suspect.
I thought that she might be on to something, that it could open up the discussion but I am not so sure anymore.

I have to admit that, also based on the problems I have outlined above, I didn't watch her latest videos and didn't follow what happened outside of that. That's also the reason why, when discussing this topic, I tried to make as few references to her as possible. Just because I don't know much about what's going at the moment. Same thing with Zoe.
What's important to me is the message, that there is sexism in video games, in the video games industry, in the tech industry etc. and that's what I'm concerned about.

What I will accept is that I was too quick to judge when the threats came in but that's because I take that seriously. Talking about morality on such a hypothetical level is one thing, spreading awareness about practical problems another but threats? Imagine it's real. It will really shake you up, especially on something that's so controversial. Religion and politics are not the only constructs that breed extremists.
So you may call me out on the fact that I was too gullible when I believed that the threat was true but I will stand by that. For now. There are a lot of fucked up people out there.

It would be sad to see if that was completely manufactured.

[edit]
I am also jaded by real life experiences with seemingly smart people. I've talked to enough people and I've also witnessed enough situations where sexism was blatant. Often it's the same as with racism. If you call it out you'll hear "What? Me, a racist/sexist? No way!" People get defensive. And by calling it out I don't meant that I called them assholes or insulted that. Just comments like "Hey, you said/did that. Don't you think that was sexist? Here's a logical explanation why I think that way."
Add anonymity to that and what you get most of the time are trolls. If the person in question is more radical/extreme you got a problem.

69. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 19:34 yuastnav

Redmask wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 19:03:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 18:52:
As a compassionate being your first reaction shouldn't be one of irritation but of empathy. Maybe I am too gullible but as I said: that kind of callousness is not something I can readily comprehend.

That was many peoples first reaction. And second, third, fourth and then it started to become really obvious what was going on. People use terms like victim complex because that is exactly what is going on here.

Here's an uncomfortable truth. Men and women are different, they will never be treated as complete equals in all things. People tote around female demographics in the gaming industry but for the most part they are not playing the same kinds of games we are. We have female oriented television, movies, games and books just like we have male driven media.

People like Anita are not interested in equality. They are interested in their way of thinking being the dominant one. That is what pisses people off. There is no honest discussion going on, we are being spoken to and told what to do with this overriding idea that we are horrible people if we do not. I am tired of anyone telling me whats going on in my head with my morals based on some imagined lack of action on my part. So excuse me if I yawn when I see this sort of thing but I've seen it all before, several times already and been treated like shit by people who supposedly want my help, some which have been revealed as complete frauds.

I don't want to see anyone treated badly, male or female. But guess what? That's fucking life, especially on the internet. Bad things happen to good people, we do our best to minimize that and we move on. Some utter moron like Anita paints a target on her chest, eggs people on then plays the drama queen when something actually happens (and I'm not even convinced it did based on the evidence). That says nothing about you, me or anyone else. It says something about her.

This is where I disagree. Men and women are different but from that it doesn't necessarily follow that they should be treated differently.
What I am talking about is a hypothetical construct/standard that is unrealistic but which is needed as a sort of goal we can work towards.

There are female and male demographics and all that other stuff you mentioned but the question is why it is there. Of course the roots are historical and the big question is how much of it is scientifically accurate, i.e. in what ways men and women really differ as opposed to what children are taught when they are brought up.
If we take a stupid and simple example like high heels, we can see that it is related to the construct of female beauty. That construct is artificial, though, but it would look completely unnatural for us if men would be wearing high-heeled shoes. That is not something that is biologically or genetically a woman's thing but that is something we learned. That would also be the reason, as far as I see it, why feminists regard it as sexist (for the sake of honesty and open discussion I will state that I agree with that and that I consider myself a feminist).

I guess my opinion about how equal men and women should be, or what the term equal means, is just more extreme than yours.

As far as keyboard activism is concerned it is something that always makes me wonder. How else would you do it?
I can see several ways in how you can manipulate other people to think the way you do (here I assume the hypothesis that you think that your set of morals is the only correct one):
- By enforcing it through some kind of monarchical system or dictatorship
- By writing a really successful book that (secretly), through a clever rhetoric, tries to convince people to think the way you do
- By talking about it
- By bringing up your children with your set of standards

Some of them will be more effective than others, some will be more radical than others. Guess which is the easiest of these. You talk to people. You try to keep the discussion open, you try to get your point across and you try to convince people that what you think is right and that there is a problem.
In the grand scheme you could also have protests and stuff like that but it's easy to protest against a big entity or an institution like the government. It's not as easy to protest against half of the population. One problem is that people are susceptible to propaganda and to the media to varying degrees. Just look at all the ads and billboards and how the women look in these. This creates a false image in the head of all people that is difficult to remove.
The question then is why this is the case and who benefits from that. Who would want to have sexism in video games? Of course you'd also need to make a distinction between people who make sexist games because they don't know better and people who want to somehow benefit from that by... I dunno, giving someone a powerfantasy or something. I will admit that I have no apparent answer for that last point.

Of course you need a means to get your point across. Like Anita. Though it looks like that she's not really useful as a vehicle for that since she has lost a lot of credibility.
Yes, her reasons may be selfish but rape threats? Come on. This is some fucked up stuff right there.
Personally I'm also very stubborn. Yeah, bad things happen and that's part of life but that doesn't mean that we just leave it at that after it had happened so many times because every time something bad happens you have to fight it. Of course it's unrealistic and impractical (and more complicated) but the general gist stays the same.

63. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 18:55 yuastnav

Mad Max RW wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 18:39:
Redmask wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 18:27:
Calling people a bunch of ignorant sexist woman haters, arseholes or whatever you want to say is going to immediately get someone playing defensive.

And that's their game in a nutshell. Liars like Beamer can't have an honest discussion when their bogus ideology is in tatters. They have to resort to anything, from calling you sexist and racist and hating the poor or whatever, to immediately stop the discussion and redirect it so you are defending yourself. They are desperate, miserable people with a total lack of introspection.

To be fair though, it wasn't Beamer. It was me. I'm quick-tempered when it comes to certain topics, especially when they are bordering on issue of morality in such a strong way.

62. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 18:52 yuastnav

Redmask wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 18:27:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 17:19:
I don't give a shit.

Then it's not really fair to expect anyone else to care either. If you can't see someone elses point of view then you can't bridge the gap to your own.

Someone will be sexist or racist regardless of whether I insult him or not and if that person is unable to reflect on that themselves, after I called them out on it, then I wouldn't be able to help them anyway.

That's bullshit and you should know it. Calling people a bunch of ignorant sexist woman haters, arseholes or whatever you want to say is going to immediately get someone playing defensive. Figuring out their point of view and getting them to see your own is harder work but pays off dividends by comparison.

Speaking of open minds, maybe you should consider the alternative that people might not be the way you think they are and that you're buying into a narrative spun by people who have skin in the game. I would think that the events of the past week would show that such a thing is not only a possibility but a frequent event.

That would ironic, in a sense. If these people are not how they make out to be then there is no real way for me to tell whether they are serious regardless of whether I am open-minded to their ideas or not.
I understand that the stream of such articles can get tiring but the callousness and flippancy with which some approach this topic is really unnerving and drives me nuts.
There are some aspects I feel I will never be able to understand.

I thought Anita was making a good point. Then I found out that a lot of the things she said might not be true and now I'm on the fence. On the one hand I support what she stands for but on the other hand I do not agree with how and to what extent it is presented (e.g. the examples she picks, how radical she is about that). But there is just absolutely no excuse for rape threats.
Is it a fake? Or is it not a fake? It is not apparently obvious. But some are quick to label that in a way that wave it aside with terms like "victim complex" etc.
As a compassionate being your first reaction shouldn't be one of irritation but of empathy. Maybe I am too gullible but as I said: that kind of callousness is not something I can readily comprehend.

51. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 17:19 yuastnav

Redmask wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 16:54:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 16:38:
In the end it comes down to morality but if someone's stance is "I don't care about sexism/racism/etc., I just want to play my video games." then that person is a fucking arsehole and a poor excuse for a human being. But that's just my personal moral stance. I think Daniel Dennett partly refers to that as being a member of the Moral Agents' Club

That kind of holier than thou, my way or the highway attitude is the kind of thing that drives people further away from your stance rather than towards it. Gaming is a leisure activity and hobby for many people but if you want to call them names and think that's going to help inform them then good fucking luck with that.

I don't give a shit.
Someone will be sexist or racist regardless of whether I insult him or not and if that person is unable to reflect on that themselves, after I called them out on it, then I wouldn't be able to help them anyway.
What the hell happened to personal responsibility? I may call someone a racist dickweed but it's not for me to convince them that he is one, I just point it out. You'll either agree with my moral stance or not, regardless of the derogatory terms I use.
But I see your point since many people really find it difficult to separate their rational and emotional side. I'm just sick and tired of this whole bullshit and need to vent sometimes, so I call people names. If someone does the same to me, okay. If I think that person has something intelligent to say I will listen anyway. You kinda learn that by being on the internet for so long. And working in academia.

Or in other words: my point is valid or invalid regardless of my (low) opinion of others and how directly I express that opinion. People should decide for themselves whether they want to burden themselves with the personal responsibility to rethink their moral stance.
What annoys and angers me is that this board is a cesspit of constant whining about those darn social justice warriors and why don't they shut up thereisnotproblemgoaway. If that's such a problem for you then why don't you ignore it? Will it physically hurt you if you don't? What is that obsession? And quite often these are just inane remarks like this or this one that don't further the discussion in any meaningful way and are just childish "look at me I'm so witty" outbursts.
Yes, maybe I'm too emotional and I have a hard time keeping my cool but god dammit you people are really not helping sometimes. It's also the reason why avoid these topics more often than not.

[edit]
And just by the by. I never called anyone specifically an arsehole since people are usually not one-dimensional and there's more to then than just a single, poorly-worded post with some misogynistic tendencies.
I'm sorry if you think that only because it's a hobby it should be impervious to societal norms and scrutinisation but I don't see it that way.
And judging by the length of that response it's probably not even true that I don't give a shit. Oh well, I tried.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2014, 17:24.

755 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo