Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 695 (Apprentice)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Origin for OS X
24. Re: Origin for OS X Feb 8, 2013, 20:43 yuastnav

Sho wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 18:34:
yuastnav wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 18:24:
Um, no. Something like that should not even be worth mentioning since any decent publisher/developer will do that anyway, without saying.
I don't want to sound like an entitled bastard but this is usually, or at least should be, standard practice with software and EA should not be praised for doing something exceptional. It should be merely acknowledged that they didn't feth it up this time.

No, that's bullshit. I agree that pay-once-play-anywhere is a good thing for customers, but it's wrong to claim that this has been historically the norm in the video game space. I've always had IBM-compatibles under the desk but was using a Mac laptop in the last decade, and I had to buy a bunch of games twice as distinct Windows and Mac versions, often from separate publishers even. And even in the digital distribution age I've sometimes had to license for different platforms separately. Heck, we're having this problem with iOS vs. Android now, too.

That doesn't mean we need to be grateful to EA for doing the right thing, of course - I don't think customers would let them get away with anything else, considering Steam and GOG do it this way.

There are several meanings to what I said.
It either means that this has been historically the norm, which I actually did not had in mind when I wrote that, or it means that there are not a lot of decent developers/publishers.
I can name a few developers (and their software), whom I respect but who did not follow that practice. On the other hand there are also some who do it for free.

It's just what I expect from software developers and when that doesn't happen it sucks. Nothing that can be done about that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Origin for OS X
16. Re: Origin for OS X Feb 8, 2013, 18:24 yuastnav

Bhruic wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 17:33:
Bard wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 17:03:
Bhruic wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 16:02:
My annoyance is with the people who kneejerk "EA bad!" for everything they do. I don't love EA. I don't particularily like EA. I agree that EA does lots of scummy things. But sometimes they do decent things,

Since when? name one!

How about from the quote up above?
With dual-platform play, gamers will buy a game once and be able to download it for both PC and Mac (if the game is available for both platforms). After purchasing the game via Origin on one platform, as soon as a player logs into their other device, the game will appear ready for download in the Origin “My Games” tab.

Allowing people to buy the game once and play it on both systems is a pretty decent move on EA's part.

Um, no. Something like that should not even be worth mentioning since any decent publisher/developer will do that anyway, without saying.
I don't want to sound like an entitled bastard but this is usually, or at least should be, standard practice with software and EA should not be praised for doing something exceptional. It should be merely acknowledged that they didn't feth it up this time.

News Comments > Morning Patches
7. Re: Morning Patches Feb 7, 2013, 12:54 yuastnav

Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 11:00:
Cutter wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 10:00:
Where are the screens of your cool rig, Creston?

FFS, Cutter! I posted those several days ago!

Edit : Added smiley.

Creston

So how is the game?
I loved King of the Road and also played a bit of Rig'n'Roll but didn't like 18 Wheels of Steel all that much?
Is Euro Truck Simulator 2 good? I only played the demo enough to see that my PC, which can play Crysis on the highest settings, if this is even any benchmark to go by anymore, but ETS2 is apparently too hardcore.
The driving also doesn't work that well with the keyboard, unlike the aforementioned games, so I am not whether I will buy it in the near future, but I'm stil interested to know in how it compares to the older truck simulation games.

News Comments > John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support
35. Re: John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support Feb 6, 2013, 11:46 yuastnav

|RaptoR| wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 11:18:
[...]

Quake, Quake 2, and Quake 3 had native linux binaries, but it's cool to focus on a browser-based version of Quake 3 to drive home your (invalid) point

My point is not invalid because his point wasn't. If he had included Doom 3 and Quake 4, which actually did have Linux binaries, then that would be a different matter altogether, however he specifically concentrated on Quake Arena (so he probably means Quake 3 Arena) and Quake live. Since he didn't even mention Quake 1 and Quake 2 you probably misread what he actually wrote.

Beamer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 11:23:
Quake Live isn't even browser based. yuastnav is either misunderstanding the game or what "browser based" means.

Hold on, what do you actually understand by "browser based"? The game exists locally on your machine and is accessed via a browser plugin. What is your definition?

headkase wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 11:37:
[...]
Having every developer writing for Linux is stupid. What needs to be done is that the engine developers write Linux-back-ends. When you develop your game for CryEngine 3 you don't say "oh my gosh! I have to write to the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC API!" No, shit. With CryEngine 3 you press the "deploy" button and the code needed at the lower levels - stuff dealing with operating systems and graphics and audio API's - is abstracted away from your content. If a engine developer makes an OpenGL back-end the developer of a game doesn't have to give two shits about it. They just press "deploy." Sorry, they have to press deploy 4 times: once each for Xbox 360, PS3, PC, and Linux. A properly written game engine will abstract away the lower level details and make it so a game developer doesn't have to give a single flying fuck about them.

Wouldn't that make the code extremely inefficient?

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2013, 11:54.

27. Re: John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support Feb 6, 2013, 11:13 yuastnav

Beamer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 11:09:
yuastnav wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 11:04:
Beamer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 11:01:
[...]
You understand that he writes the engines, not programs the games and missions, right?
That he has nothing to do with that?

I may be mistaken but didn't he say during a Q&A at Quakecon that he actually doesn't write the engines anymore because there are other people at his company who are just much, much more better at that than he is?
He may have been a good programmer in the 90s but that time is long gone.
If I think back to that Q&A in 2011 it seems more like he is a sort of designer who looks at how the gameplay and design decisions fit together and whether he likes it or not.

Though I have to admit that I could not really figure out what exactly his task was at that company besides being at the top.

He almost definitely does the Tim Sweeney model of doing graphics research. He's probably always working a generation of the engine out. It's other people actually taking his research and high level programming and turning it into something you can make games on.

In other words, he's doing the intellectual, fun, and hard work and others are doing the more gruntish and tedious work (not that it isn't hard and intellectual.) Carmack isn't writing networking code or physical inputs, but you'd better believe he's writing the insanely brilliant lighting algorithms, or at least the basis for them.

Okay. I actually never knew that he was such a good mathematician.

23. Re: John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support Feb 6, 2013, 11:04 yuastnav

Beamer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 11:01:
[...]
You understand that he writes the engines, not programs the games and missions, right?
That he has nothing to do with that?

I may be mistaken but didn't he say during a Q&A at Quakecon that he actually doesn't write the engines anymore because there are other people at his company who are just much, much more better at that than he is?
He may have been a good programmer in the 90s but that time is long gone.
If I think back to that Q&A in 2011 it seems more like he is a sort of designer who looks at how the gameplay and design decisions fit together and whether he likes it or not.

Though I have to admit that I could not really figure out what exactly his task was at that company besides being at the top.

20. Re: John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support Feb 6, 2013, 11:01 yuastnav

Yes, a web browser version of a game from 1999 that caters to the decreasing number of gamers who like extremly fast twitch shooters is a honest try.

Riiiight.

The reason why I am not playing Quake Live that often IS because it's a browser plugin. Playing ioquake is much more efficient and much easier than playing Quake Live.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
12. Re: Morning Q&As Jan 31, 2013, 14:14 yuastnav

2nd_floor wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 12:23:
[...] Maybe 20-30. [...]

There are a lot more than that.

2nd_floor wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 12:23:
[...] One reason why developers haven't written games for Linux is that is can be very difficult to support, because it has so many variants. [...]

Uhm, what?
I see everyone saying/reiterating that same thing but it's simply not that easy. Most derivatives are more or less similar so I don't see where the big problem is as long as you can port it properly (which is not as straightforward since DirectX has apis for video, audio, input devices etc. while it is not unified in Linux).

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
43. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 24, 2013, 17:31 yuastnav

Beamer wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 08:16:
yuastnav wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 06:51:
Beamer wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 12:53:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 21:38:

Whether it's the Internet or 1973, it's ridiculously stupid to have compromising photos taken of yourself for anything other than professional uses.

Dating you must be a blast.

Why? It sounds to be an incredibly moronic thing to take such type of pictures of yourself and then just send them to whoever.

I agree, and said so earlier in the thread. But the argument you are making isn't what he made. He didn't say "send it to whoever," he's saying "anyone." So he's saying it's "ridiculously stupid" for a wife to let her husband take topless photos of her.

I'm saying he's boring.

Yeah but that topic is actually a bit more difficult than one might think. There are people who are more prudish (I don't even understand why being prudish is a bad thing but in all the instances where I encounter the word it is used in a pejorative way) or maybe they are asexual or something like that.
Personally I don't see the appeal in something like that (e.g taking photos of your topless wife) either and therefore it's not a smart thing for me, too, because it can have only negative consequences.
But then again: I notice on a frequent basis that I don't understand sexual people that much and that is why I have that reaction.
I mean that there is nothing wrong with calling such a stance boring but for some it is completely natural to have that stance.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
41. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 24, 2013, 06:51 yuastnav

Beamer wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 12:53:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 21:38:

Whether it's the Internet or 1973, it's ridiculously stupid to have compromising photos taken of yourself for anything other than professional uses.

Dating you must be a blast.

Why? It sounds to be an incredibly moronic thing to take such type of pictures of yourself and then just send them to whoever.

News Comments > THQ Sale Results?
26. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 17:34 yuastnav

Why all the hate for Deep Silver?
They publish the X games and those are great so it's not all automatically doom and gloom.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups
64. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 23, 2013, 08:00 yuastnav

Hmm, for me that game always was about being a hero and saving the realm. Now you have a lot of those heroes running around.
The elder scrolls online kind of defeats the point of the elder scrolls. :/

News Comments > Flashback HD Remake Planned?
8. Re: Flashback HD Remake Planned? Jan 22, 2013, 03:18 yuastnav

The screenshot does look kinda nice but I don't know... I think I still prefer the old graphics. Though I would have to see the remake in motion before being able to make a better comparison.  

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind 2 Presale Deal
10. Re: A Valley Without Wind 2 Presale Deal Dec 27, 2012, 04:39 yuastnav

I just read this and wow... what a non-answer. I really liked the first one (for the first ten hours or so) but reading this bullshit and how he dances around the question without providing an actual answer is astounding.

And they know they messed up because otherwise they would not try to stifle all discussion about the mouse. This game basically just died for me.
If these are the kind of design decision they like to make then I don't wanna play their games anymore.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
51. Re: This Dec 16, 2012, 17:23 yuastnav

DNForever wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 14:31:
I'm either not understanding or not thinking enough then. How can you deny those concepts while accepting the existence of morals?

Morals exist, most people acquire them while growing up. But morals are different for everybody. They are influenced by the environment, school, parents, media etc. so, for a society, or part of it, there is a set of morals that these people try to abide by.
If you would talk about, say, moral superiority, you would need an entity which would decide that one set of morals is superior to another an. If people claim their morals are superior to the morals of either people this is, in my opinion, delusional, since morals are just different.
You could argue that one person has a stronger connection to their morals than another person (if they have the same set of morals) and say that this is moral superiority but in my opinion the flaw is that one argues that they have the same set of morals. If one person has a stronger connection to their morals it means, to me, that their morals are different from another person, with a weaker connection, because they are willing to give up or sacrifice more - or something like that.

For me immorality only exists in the case where you compare a person with a set of morals to a person with no morals at all - the person without morals would be immoral then.
But you cannot say that a thief is immoral because it might be that it is well within his set of morals to steal while the majority of a society would frown upon that. The only time when this could be immoral is when the thief would steal and with that act would go against his own set of morals but this poses two difficulties: a) would a person really go against their set of morals, i.e. is it possible, by definition, to do something like that or is a certain act already an indication that the particular person does not have morals that are connected to that act; b) you would have to know beforehand what kind of morals the thief have to call him immoral.
You could say that he is immoral towards your own set of morals when he steals but that would be kind of redundant, would it not?

[edit]
My problem may very well be a semantic one. I have not really thought about it yet.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 14:20 yuastnav

Techie714 © wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 13:43:
[...]
1. Dishonored: I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I have been. This game is OUTSTANDING & worthy of your time & money. The story is pretty decent & the game play mechanics are solid & fun.
[...]

I was surprised by this, too.
I thought that I would be playing this like all the older Splinter Cell games, i.e. just knock out every guard and roam the map/level freely.
But because of all the cool abilities they give you I am actually able to restrain me and try to figure out patrol routes and go through the level undetected and without knocking out/killing as few people as possible.
I'm definitely enjoying this game more than I have anticipated.

49. Re: This Dec 16, 2012, 14:16 yuastnav

DNForever wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 14:03:
"Moral superiority does not really exist since immorality does not really exist either"

Morality may not exist as a physical concrete thing and yes it's subjective, but what an outright stupid and simplistic thing to say. Morals do exist as general consensus, they may be culturally specific but they do exist. I can tell you're high on like, whose truth is the real truth and nothing's for certain or anything but to deny morals is not a good idea. To me.

Read again. I denied the concepts of moral superiority and immorality (at least from one point of view). Never did I say that morals do not exist.
If you would have taken the time to read my whole post you would have realised that, at least through implication.
Furthermore I cannot see where you got the concept of "morality as a physical thing" from.

45. Re: This Dec 16, 2012, 11:36 yuastnav

Orphic Resonance wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 00:27:
[...]
I think it has alot to do with people getting off on being morally superior and righteous. [...]

Moral superiority does not really exist since immorality does not really exist either. People have different moral standards and they call each other immoral because they only obey their own set of morals and do not obey the ones of the other person.

Also, your logic is partly confusing to me.
You claim that everyone is an egomaniac, i.e. that this is the default condition of a human being but you also call that a failing. So it's a failing by definition, i.e. society is actually not supposed to work by working?
And by whose moral standards is it a failing? Yours? The society's?

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold
27. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 17:38 yuastnav

ItBurn wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 17:01:
Beelzebud wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 16:42:
An RPG based on Roadside Picnic could be amazing if done properly. I doubt we'll see anything like that, though.

Well... isn't that STALKER?

I read the book recently. It started amazing, but they spend too much time on the stuff we don't care about. It promises amazing things, but it never pays off.

That's mostly because it was never their intention to write about the stuff you care about; it is rather a traditional science fiction book, i.e. in its truest sense of the word.

The book may have been an inspiration for GSC but the game has barely any connection to the book at all. The title, Stalker, was also actually taken from the movie since it never shows up anywhere in the book.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Delayed
13. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed Dec 7, 2012, 13:07 yuastnav

Icewind wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 12:04:
All I think about now is this:

http://images.4chan.org/v/src/1354892285506.jpg

Love how these people get so riled up over silly things.

It's okay, you can still play DOA Volleyball if you want to see a pair of boobies that badly.

695 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo