Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 704 (Apprentice)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Opens Early Access
22. Re: Steam Opens Early Access Mar 20, 2013, 16:55 yuastnav

It has been probably half a year since I've last played Starforge and there was not much to do back then. You could shoot at some monsters and there was very basic building implemented. So how is it now?

Also, is Prison Architect that good? Like others said the price is a bit too high but then again I spent 25 Euros on the Arma 3 Alpha and the game turned out to be really good (if you find a decent multiplayer server that is; also the performance deteriorates after some time and it runs poorly no matter what graphics settings I use).

Kerbal Space program also looked interesting (at least judging by this article from Christopher Livingston on PCGamer, guess I gotta try the demo).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Soon
2. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Soon Mar 15, 2013, 20:33 yuastnav

Yeah, this game was surprisingly good, it was definitely a lot of fun, even if a bit rough around the edges. Shame that more people didn't give it a try.

And then there were people like TotalBiscuit who never really bothered to play it properly and didn't badmouth it but didn't give it the credit it deserves. It's really astounding how someone, whose favourite game is Deus Ex and who therefore is used to complexity in a videogame, has such an incompetent point of view of this game.
It's no Deus Ex of course, not anywhere near it but still a good shooter in its own right.

News Comments > POE Boasts 2M Players; Patch Details; Supporter Packs Update
17. Re: POE Boasts 2M Players; Patch Details; Supporter Packs Update Mar 15, 2013, 14:14 yuastnav

MisterBenn wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 13:51:
Yeah I bought the $20 premium tab bundle too, I needed to support them for all the time I've spent in game. I might buy more but the cosmetic effects are pretty underwhelming. Their ethical microtransaction system really is painless from a player's point of view though, I hope we see some figures showing GGG's making good money from this game. It would be a shame if they did everything right and almost no one gave them money and the conclusion was that companies do need to fuck over the consumer to make any profit.

This is actually the reason why I decided to spend 25 bucks on this. It was the first free2play game that I saw where none of the microtransactions had ANY impact on gameplay (well, maybe except for the depot limitation but cluttering up your depot is probably not a good idea anyway).

News Comments > POE Boasts 2M Players; Patch Details; Supporter Packs Update
6. Re: POE Boasts 2M Players; Patch Details; Supporter Packs Update Mar 15, 2013, 11:37 yuastnav

InBlack wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 11:00:
Verno wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 09:46:
I haven't really played much since the last patch, how were the melee changes? I really enjoy the game but I feel like build diversity in hardcore is limited by the survivability nodes that are essentially required in almost every build. I don't mind this so much but to dedicate so many of them to it feels off somehow. I'm not a big fan of Chaos Damage/Resist either, it felt like pandering to the streaming crowd who were complaining that difficulty wasn't there. They added this weird arbitrary resist with only a few nodes in the tree as a quick fix and its awkwardly inserted into the game.

Taking a bit of a break while some patches accrue, I was getting a bit burnt out on my melee dudes since it felt like only a few skills were ever viable for the builds I was doing.

Melee classes still feel a bit gimped, although the duelist got a major overhaul last patch and is right now kicking major ass. My main is a ranger and I have built her as a pure damage dealer with maybe one point in a % life skill. Im doing quite well with her ATM. (lvl 51) The chaos damage/resist is still off, monsters do a shitload of that and the items with chaos resist are few and very far between.

The biggest improvements seem to be in the feel of the game and the graphics themselves. The game is getting more and more polish with every single patch and its noticable.

Its still a long way off from being anywhere near balanced (at least with regards to melee) but even at this point I would recommend this game over Diablo3.

P.S. The servers are having a hard time in the last couple of days as it seems the popularity of this game is soaring and some noticable lag has appeared as a result. This is my biggest gripe with the game ATM at peak times solo play is impossible...

Did you use a specific build guide or did you do it as you felt?
I haven't played too much and am in the third act with my Ranger, level 31, and it's pretty difficult. :/
I am not sure whether my build is wrong or whether it's the nature of the third act because a lot of people in chat always complain about how difficult the third act is.
I'm just unsure of whether I skilled her wrong and will run into problems later.

News Comments > Saints Row 4 in August
24. Re: Saints Row 4 in August Mar 15, 2013, 11:32 yuastnav

Too bad it looks exactly like the third game but that was to be expected, given the hardware limitations of the current generation of consoles.
The graphics of Saints Row 3 were not bad, don't get me wrong, I really liked them but I'd wish they improved them a little bit. I didn't get that impression from the trailer.

Anyway, I'll probably cave in and preorder it because I'm a sucker for Saints Row. And it will feel great.

News Comments > Ace of Spades Free Weekend
4. Re: Ace of Spades Free Weekend Mar 15, 2013, 07:17 yuastnav

Yes, this game is not very good. The old, free version was more interesting. Sadly they fethed up when they made this one.

The idea behind is interesting but the interface itself is clunky and manipulating the world does not work very well nor does it have much purpose.
It could probably be a bit better if they made the map smaller and gave the teams some time before the actual game started to fortify their base. They didn't and thus the game does not work very well.
Apart from that it's not very well made.

Some indie developers make the movement, the controls and the overall feeling of the game "fluent", it just feels good, like in Trine or in Unepic, to name to arbitrary examples. A fps example would be Warsow (although this is based on the quake 2 engine and thus the reason why the movement is good) but Ace of Spades just doesn't feel any fun, nor is it fun to play.

News Comments > New Thief's New Garrett Profiled
23. Re: New Thief's New Garrett Profiled Mar 14, 2013, 17:06 yuastnav

Blackhawk wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 15:29:
yuastnav wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 12:40:
Blackhawk wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:44:
[...]
You sound like my nine year old being offered a new food he's never tried. There's no way to know if it is going to suck. It may be a great game.
[...]

If your nine year old turned out to be like that after years of being offered new variations of his most beloved dishes which then turn out to be complete rubbish then this analogy would be a little bit closer to the truth.

You missed the point. [...]

I would not necessarily say that. It's just that so many people have been burned with new, modernised, consolised, remakes of their old beloved games that they just don't expect anything good anymore.
You keep an open mind but not everyone does that and sometimes I don't even know whether I can blame them.

News Comments > New Thief's New Garrett Profiled
8. Re: New Thief's New Garrett Profiled Mar 14, 2013, 12:40 yuastnav

Blackhawk wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:44:
[...]
You sound like my nine year old being offered a new food he's never tried. There's no way to know if it is going to suck. It may be a great game.
[...]

If your nine year old turned out to be like that after years of being offered new variations of his most beloved dishes which then turn out to be complete rubbish then this analogy would be a little bit closer to the truth.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
69. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 14, 2013, 12:03 yuastnav

PHJF wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:30:

[...]
Science is in essence experimentation repeated until a clearly predictable result is defined.
[...]

That is not entirely correct for two reasons:
1. You only described experimental science. There are also theoretical sciences that come to conclusion based on mathematical calculations. The anti-particle is a good example of this because the idea, that something like that exists, wasn't even conceivable until the theoretical predictions of Dirac.
It was an experiment that verified this, yes, but the prediction itself was theoretical.
2. If science would only describe theories that completely predict a phenomenon then quantum mechanics would not be a scientific theory. It predicts a lot of outcomes but it ultimately fails to predict which one will actually happen.

[...] I wouldn't have arrived at that conclusion from blind faith but from inductive or deductive reasoning (which I learned in the 8th grade). [...]

I would be careful with inductive reasoning.
If I use inductive reasoning to say that the sun will rise tomorrow I need to have faith in the fact that the universe does not change in a way that science wasn't able to predict due to a lack of data; there are a lot of things we do not know yet.

[...]
No. We don't know the end (if there even is one) of the trail.

I think Beamer was talking about the end of science, not the end of everything. While the end of everything arguably does not exist you can actually historically guess when scientific argumentation may have begun.

[...]
And what we learn from science directly improves our quality of life, whereas religion's only practical function is to give people hope.
[...]

Which also improves their lives because it gives them, psychologically speaking, comfort which can result in physiological changes.

[...]
Science will make gods of men.
[...]

I know you are being hyperbolic but that is impossible by definition because you will never be able to create energy out of nothing. That is, most likely, scientifically impossible.

[...]
Actually, that already happened back in the Dark Ages. Ironically it was monks who painstakingly preserved what knowledge humanity had by then accumulated.

Afaik most of the preserved knowledge that led to the renaissance actually came from the middle east, i.e. from the Arabic countries which were the stronghold of civilisation.

[edit]
Hmm, my syntax seems to be faulty but currently I don't see the problem (i.e. where I forgot to open or close a quote). Sorry about the mess

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2013, 12:51.

News Comments > Alice 3 Possibilities Raised
4. Re: Alice 3 Possibilities Raised Mar 14, 2013, 10:22 yuastnav

I only played the first one (watched a let's play of the second one) and while I liked some aspects of how the world/story was designed the games themselves were not that great.
I still liked the first one because it was on the Quake 3 engine (I love that engine, it was the platform for some great games, i.e. Jedi Outcast...) but the second one was really not that great because it was too repetitive.
I also had a problem with how they handled the story. At the end of the first game she was like "Yay, I'm cured!" and the second game was basically "lol NOPE".

65. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 14, 2013, 09:14 yuastnav

InBlack wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 08:38:
@yustnav:

1. Science is nothing like religion, please look up the definition of the scientific method because nothing you (or Kuhn) have stated actually holds water. The only reason science 'appears' in some ways to resemble religion is because humans are irrational beings who live in their imagination. Remember that an 'appearance' of similarity does not indicate similarity itself.
[...]

Are... are you serious?
I do have to say that I am a bit speechless now.
"The Structure of Scientific Revolutions", the book that was written by the physicist and philosopher Thomas S. Kuhn, caused an uproar in the scientific community and forever changed how science was viewed, by scientists but also by non-scientists, in the whole world.
Don't get me wrong, you can still claim that "nothing that Kuhn has stated holds water", but I would at first advise you to acquaint yourself with his works and think properly about it because the way I presented it may have been not entirely true and does Kuhn no justice.
It's not some "crazy idea" that someone thought up overnight and which is barely known, quite contrary it, or rather a modification of it, is a well accepted theory of how scientific progress works.

InBlack wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 08:38:
@yustnav:
[...]
2. You can argue semantics with me all day long but I dont believe that god or gods (divine beings whatever) exist. How does my lack of belief indicate another belief? I also dont believe that unicorns exist. Does that mean i BELIEVE that unicorns dont exist? Quit your circular and flawed logic and trust me even if you cant understand this very simple logic. Atheism IS NOT A BELIEF system. It is a lack of one.

Of course that means that you belief that unicorns don't exist. How is that flawed or circular? And please stop being so damn condescending as if you know it all.
When I say that I don't believe that magic exists that means I believe that magic does not exist. When I don't believe that a fifth fundamental force does not exist I believe that a fifth fundamental force does not exist.
I just rewrote it in a different way but the main statement is still the same.

[edit]
I agree that this is arguing semantics. Maybe it is different for different atheists. Some believe that there is no god and other know there is no god.
But then I come back to my previous point where I state that there are few things you can truly *know*. Oh well.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2013, 09:24.

61. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 14, 2013, 07:32 yuastnav

SimplyMonk wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 20:03:
NewMaxx wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 14:57:
You'll be disappointed. What most people don't realize is that science is just another religion.

Science isn't a religion. It might appear to be at times, but only because we, as humans, are so bad at living up to its ideals. The same could be said for religion itself in that most of them have inherently beneficial aspects to them, but they are abused and distorted from their ideals.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that humanity sucks and is the reason we can't have nice things.

The way that science works and has worked for the last hundreds of years is in some ways similar to religion.
Popper basically said that scientists are rational beings who, when confronted with a new, superior theory, will abandon the old one. To that Kuhn answered that it is not true and that older scientists will still cling to older theories while younger scientists will be more interested in newer theories and the newer theories will then prevail because the older theories will die out with the older scientists.
A good example for that is quantum mechanics.
Many of the physicists who played a more or less great part in quantum mechanics like Planck, Schrödinger and Einstein were opposed to the idea of quantum mechanics because it made them uneasy.
There were rational reasons for and against quantum mechanics but in the end it all boiled down to faith, to a believe. Some wanted to believe in quantum mechanics and therefore continued working on it, others didn't. A paradigm shift occurs and the older theories are (at least partly) replaced by the newer ones.

And it's not bad that it works that way, because Popper claimed that the older theories are completely removed and not used anymore, which is not true. They were true for a period of time until people encountered problems that were not solvable and incompatible with these theories, so they made new theories while some people still tried to salvage the older theory by trying to make it compatible with these incompatible problems, which can work to an extent but more often than not doesn't.

There is no perfect ideal of how science should be. Science works the way we do it.

InBlack wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 04:53:
I love it how Beamer actually tried to convince some of us that our lack of a belief system is somehow a belief system itself.

Nice try dude, but the ounis of proof is on you. You want to have a God? Fine you can have one, or ten for all I care. As far as Im concerned they DONT exist, since there is no evidence of their existence if you could provide me with some I would be glad to change my mind.

I think there are only very few things that one can *know*, i.e. it is possible to doubt almost everything, so I don't think that one can say that one *knows* that there does not exist a metaphysical being that exists in a state indescribable by something out of this universe (which is the reason why the word "state" would also be misplaced here) which has, by definition, the ability to create energy from nothing.
In that sense atheism, too, would be a belief system. And being able to prove one thing or the other would be, from a human standpoint, meaningless because if you aren't dealing with symbolic logic or mathematics no proof is infallible.
On the other hand atheism is the opposite of theism and by using that word alone atheism is just the absence of any belief system.

Personally I would say that agnosticism is the actual absence of a belief system because atheism would be, by argumentum e contrario, the belief that no deities exist.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2013, 07:42.

News Comments > More on Offline SimCity
39. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 08:51 yuastnav

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 08:19:
Creston wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 22:37:
In other words: EA is full of shit, as usual. This is about DRM and about preventing mods so they can DLC it out the ass. This comes in addition to reports from EA's forum that the engine is just plain broken and just goes into full "what the fuck ever" mode once you reach a certain number of people. I hope the whole fucking thing burns around them and their shit-ass company.

Bye Maxis. You can join the corpses of Origin, Westwood, Bullfrog and all the other once great developers who were fucking murdered by EA. Once upon it time, it was nice playing your games. Not anymore.

Creston

Instead you'll make 50 post per EA thread bitching because that's oh so more productive than swearing off EA titles. I get the outrage with SimCity, terrible design choices and crippling DRM. If I had bought the game I'd be pretty livid myself. You Creston take the cake though, I've never seen someone waste so much time and energy on something they clearly hate.

Then I'd recommend you to watch some Nostalgia Critic or AVGN episodes. :>

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
23. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 12, 2013, 10:54 yuastnav

Creston wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 10:50:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 01:38:
Beamer wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 23:29:
Creston wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 23:07:
Ray Marden wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 20:44:
They have a point, though, as much as I don't like admitting it. Today, my PC is vastly more powerful than the hardware in the PS4. And yet, come launch time, all of my games will step up to PS4/Xbox 720 image quality and I suspect my PC will struggle to play games anything close to 60 FPS at 1080P.

The "next-gen" consoles won't play 1080p at 60fps either,

People keep saying this.
I don't think they understand how meaningless it is.

Won't play what at 1080p and 60fps? Anything? The best games? Some games? All games?

What? Why even bother having this conversation? People keep talking about how the consoles will or will not run at that, and then claiming their PCs can. If we're not talking about something specific than it's meaningless. Again, I can easily write a piece of software right now that the PS3 can run at 1080p and 60fps. I can also write a piece of software, hell even with the same exact output, that it can't.

I think he meant that the vast majority of games won't run at 60 FPS, much like with this generation. The next Killzone has already been confirmed to be 1080p30 and I expect that to be the same for the rest of the games.

Beamer likes to be deliberately dense and ignore everything but the except letter of what someone said for the sake of seeming smarter.
[...]

I wouldn't say that. Some people are just pedantic like that, I know that very well from personal experience.
The problem is that sometimes I do that deliberately and other times I don't even know I'm doing that and people get mad at me. :/
That's why it's always good to think carefully about what you are going to write.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 12, 2013, 08:43 yuastnav

deqer wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 21:24:
[...] I mean, who uses printers anymore? [...]

Many, many, many, many, many, many, many people do.

News Comments > EA Will "Look Into" Offline SimCity; New Patch Released
56. Re: EA Will Mar 11, 2013, 08:17 yuastnav

Optional nickname wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 08:01:
[...]
^ NKD, I am opening a game dev studio and I wish to hire you as lead director to a variety of games, for your post demonstrates what I thought was a lost character trait amongst the 7 billion people alive today. Thank god I am not alone in thinking about what is epically wrong with the gamer audience of today's day and age. Finally some substance showing after a long wrath of stupidity rage out there.

EA needs to get with the program, keep on voicing people !

You do know that not all gamers are completely shallow when it comes to principles, right? It's a minority but I don't think it is as bad as you make it out to be.

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted
31. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 11, 2013, 06:36 yuastnav

A good reason not to play a game is because there is barely any game in it. I really loved the first two games but I don't think I will "play" the third one.
I really, really hope that it hurt Rockstar for pulling crap like this.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 10, 2013, 16:28 yuastnav

Yeah, I finally went ahead and bought it.
I just wished that there weren't so many damned wasteland servers. It is rather difficult to find a good game where you can actually work somewhat as a team and have some fun but it is not impossible.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Mar 10, 2013, 12:40 yuastnav

Rawbots is (or at least was yesterday) completely free.
At first I was not really interested in this but now that I have tried it out it is pretty awesome, definitely a lot of potential there (it is still in early alpha).

News Comments > Arma III Alpha Released
67. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 6, 2013, 06:07 yuastnav

DangerDog wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 19:56:
I know, there's all sorts of alpha stuff in the game. windows making a breaking glass sound but don't actually break. I did find one object I could sort of interact with, a bucket. I shot it and it turned over on its side - no physx type interaction just flipped over.

They've really improved the movement, especially when in close quarters. If the AI is up to the task you could make some really cool rainbow six type scenarios.

As much as I loved Rainbow Six (Raven Shield was probably the best one but I enjoyed Rogue Spear a bit more) the AI was never one of its strong points.
Currently I am on the verge of buying Arma 3 (it would be good to support a PC developer but I am really not sure how much fun I am going to have with it). Someone tip me over!

704 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo