Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 777 (Graduate)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > X Rebirth Trading Trailer
15. Re: X Rebirth Trading Trailer Sep 26, 2013, 16:46 yuastnav

Mhm, some nice ideas but I'm not sure whether I like the user interface.
I miss the submenus.

Oh well, I will play the game anyway, already preordered when preorders opened.

I'm also happy that they use the same voice actress for the computer voice, at least I think it's the same one. Or someone who sounds really similar.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Machines Announced
66. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 18:28 yuastnav

Drayth wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 18:05:
Ricochet: Source

This. THIS. *crosses fingers*

News Comments > NVIDIA: "No Longer Possible" for Consoles to Better PC Graphics
61. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 25, 2013, 06:06 yuastnav

maximus0402 wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 21:31:
It doesn't pay off. It always is a pain in the butt to get the PC version just right . It's never hassle free. Been dealing with the PC on games for 23 years . I guess I am just tired of all the driver updates and config to get them running as it should. Believe me I prefer control of keyboard and mouse ect especially shooters or any fps. Just tired of qllbthebothervdyuff you gotta deal with for a PC . Now I am sure you'll come back and tell me that you never have issues with any games on PC ect. I guess will see how more games like witcher 3 are handled pc vs console. It's even less about graphics and more about control differences to me.

Yeah, it's never hassle free, but I don't really see the problem. Nothing ever goes completely smoothly but most of the time the problems are really minor that can be fixed rather quickly.
The only slightly more annoying problems that I ever have is installing proprietary nvidia drivers on my Debian machine and getting Windows to play with truecrypt (although that only works half the time, for some reason...).
And I've been a PC gamer for as long as you have.

But maybe the difference is that I actually enjoy hacking my machine...

[edit]
Though if playing games is the ONLY thing you want to do then you actually barely have any problems at all. Build PC, install OS, install drivers, install games - go. *shrug*

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 25, 2013, 04:21 yuastnav

Not sure whether I am buying that...  

News Comments > Op Ed
55. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2013, 04:39 yuastnav

I never said anything about the content of his post.
I merely pointed out that prolonged exposure to "internet culture" diluted some people's mind in such a way that they fail to differentiate between complaining and whining.

News Comments > Op Ed
53. Re: Op Ed Sep 21, 2013, 20:52 yuastnav

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 21, 2013, 19:23:
walrus1 wrote on Sep 21, 2013, 14:50:
You clearly either have never read RPS or are too stupid to respect something that is well written and might disagree with your little homophobic misogynistic world that exists entirely in your head. /thread.

Whiner.

educated
"Don't like what someone says? Call him a whiner."

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Takedown: Red Sabre
4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Takedown: Red Sabre Sep 21, 2013, 17:52 yuastnav

I was really excited after I saw TotalBiscuit's PAX video but held off on pre-ordering.
Now that I've watched the PSA a few hours ago I'm really sad.

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2013, 19:20 yuastnav

walrus1 wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 19:06:
Am I the only person here who really likes RPS? Are they overreacting to the PAX expo? Probably. Are they the only major gaming new sites that regularly talks about gaming related social justice issues? You bet! in an industry filled of obvious bribing and authors throwing their scruples under the bus for a couple exclusive in game shots or maybe a couple minutes of game time; RPS is a very welcome change. The gaming industry has horribly harassed and harmfully portrayed women, minorities and the LGBT crowd for years and RPS seems to be the only ones at time giving a shit. I for one applaud them for not excepting their people to be mindless corporate drones but to think and write about the bigger issues! Good on them! RPS is exactly what we need more of in the gaming world.

tl;dr RPS is doing some great things in terms of women's and LGBT rights in the videogame industry. Try expanding your closed mind a little bit and think about the bigger issues.

I like them for the most part and for the same reason.
At least there is one major gaming site that I can trust whose opinions are congruent with mine on various issues.

News Comments > Op Ed
78. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2013, 03:53 yuastnav

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 21:29:
yuastnav wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 17:23:
Prez wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 17:07:
Well I completely disagree Yuastanav, but hopefully we can agree to disagree rather than start a flame war.

I miss the days when reviews told me just the basics, like was it enjoyable, or was it a slog? Does it keep you playing or did it bore you to tears? Was performance acceptable, or did it chug at times when a lot was going on? Was it stable, or did it crash your computer? Did you feel you got full price value out of it (or more), or did you feel like it was over-priced? How about the story, the setting, the dialog, the voice acting, etc? I couldn't care any less if you think that a game about gangsters is misogynist, or a game based in the Middle East involves too much shooting of brown people. How fucking useless is that? Like I said I find it not only annoying, but arrogant and pretentious as well, as if I need you to illustrate your moral superiority or tell me I should feel the same way about these things. Any reviewer who does it will never get read by me again, and I am pretty sure I have seen each and every hack at RPS do it, so yeah, they suck.

Yeah, I guess we just disagree on that issue.
I find it interesting to read such things because if it's something really jarring then I'd like to know because then I'll know not to buy this product and give the devs who hold such views money.
On the other hand it's almost guaranteed that some pissed off gamers will post their opinions on some forums.

No one is really immoral (apart from people who may not have any morality at all); we all have our own set of standards, sometimes they might be the complete opposite of each other so personally I don't think that they are trying to be pretentious or morally superior.

But yeah, that's just how I feel about it.

Why are the developer's views even a factor? Do you play games because you enjoy them or to critique them on their political merits?

Heck why do you feel entitled to know what a dev has to weight in on any political notion? Has zero to do with the product.

Prez is pretty spot on here not just on game reviews but in general.

I am talking specifically about games where it clearly shines through what kind of views the ones who are responsible for this product hold.
If I play a game where it's blatantly obvious that it's sexist/misogynistic/racist/homomisic/whatever then this is going to have a serious impact on my enjoyment of that product.
Of course it depends on the kind of context we are talking about. Social commentary or critique is one thing but when it's done "just because" or especially when these are the real views of the developers then I don't want to have anything to do with it.

News Comments > Op Ed
60. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 17:23 yuastnav

Prez wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 17:07:
Well I completely disagree Yuastanav, but hopefully we can agree to disagree rather than start a flame war.

I miss the days when reviews told me just the basics, like was it enjoyable, or was it a slog? Does it keep you playing or did it bore you to tears? Was performance acceptable, or did it chug at times when a lot was going on? Was it stable, or did it crash your computer? Did you feel you got full price value out of it (or more), or did you feel like it was over-priced? How about the story, the setting, the dialog, the voice acting, etc? I couldn't care any less if you think that a game about gangsters is misogynist, or a game based in the Middle East involves too much shooting of brown people. How fucking useless is that? Like I said I find it not only annoying, but arrogant and pretentious as well, as if I need you to illustrate your moral superiority or tell me I should feel the same way about these things. Any reviewer who does it will never get read by me again, and I am pretty sure I have seen each and every hack at RPS do it, so yeah, they suck.

Yeah, I guess we just disagree on that issue.
I find it interesting to read such things because if it's something really jarring then I'd like to know because then I'll know not to buy this product and give the devs who hold such views money.
On the other hand it's almost guaranteed that some pissed off gamers will post their opinions on some forums.

No one is really immoral (apart from people who may not have any morality at all); we all have our own set of standards, sometimes they might be the complete opposite of each other so personally I don't think that they are trying to be pretentious or morally superior.

But yeah, that's just how I feel about it.

News Comments > Op Ed
57. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 16:54 yuastnav

Quboid wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 16:52:
Yuastnav, I think you are missing InBlack's point. If he punched people in the face then he would be personally responsible. If he raped someone, he would be personally responsible. If he made a joke about rape which inspired someone else to rape somebody, he would not be personally responsible - the rapist would be.

I think that's InBlack's point, I may be wrong. I don't agree with it, I do agree with the importance of personal responsibility* but I don't think that precludes consideration and sensitivity. The crime is not the joke-maker's fault, legally or morally, but that doesn't mean they weren't being a dumb-ass.

* of course, everyone thinks they agree with it.

Ah, I see. Thank you for clearing that up.
Sorry, I guess I was kind of dense there.

News Comments > Op Ed
56. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 16:52 yuastnav

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 16:40:
yuastnav wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 16:29:
Prez wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 16:22:
Redmask wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 15:36:
Prez wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 13:45:
People keep saying "RPS is great but..." It makes me wonder what is so great about them. Most everything from them nowadays is whiny soapbox preaching and desperate trolling for hits like this BS article. Their current journalist team consists of a bunch of attention-starved hacks from what Ive seen lately. Just because they were good once doesn't mean they are above reproach. Mostly they just suck ass if you judge them on their recent history.

So avoid their opinion pieces? They still do great reviews and other features. There aren't many quality PC sites of their caliber and they tend to ask harder questions in interviews than cheerleaders like IGN.

Admittedly I haven't read a lot of their interviews, so I'll concede that point, but I haven't been all that impressed with their reviews to be honest. Many (most?) of them lack a lot of the key info I look for in a good review. If their self-important preachy viewpoints stayed out of their reviews then I could probably take your advice, but the writers can never seem to just review the game without interjecting their own moral viewpoint into them which is something I find supremely annoying. Their previews are all "Ra-Ra-Ra!" advertising just like most every other games news outlet, so they are pretty useless. I have been reading RPS for a long time so I think I am qualified to say they are the worst they've ever been right now.

Uhm, what?
How is that supposed to work? Every review is going to be based on the preferences, viewpoints and the morality of the one reviewing it.

Game reviews aren't the forum to air political viewpoints.

Whoever said something about politics? This is about moral issues.

[edit]
Although they may bring up their political viewpoint, if it is fitting to the review.

Prez wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 16:35:
yuastnav wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 16:29:
So avoid their opinion pieces? They still do great reviews and other features. There aren't many quality PC sites of their caliber and they tend to ask harder questions in interviews than cheerleaders like IGN.

Admittedly I haven't read a lot of their interviews, so I'll concede that point, but I haven't been all that impressed with their reviews to be honest. Many (most?) of them lack a lot of the key info I look for in a good review. If their self-important preachy viewpoints stayed out of their reviews then I could probably take your advice, but the writers can never seem to just review the game without interjecting their own moral viewpoint into them which is something I find supremely annoying. Their previews are all "Ra-Ra-Ra!" advertising just like most every other games news outlet, so they are pretty useless. I have been reading RPS for a long time so I think I am qualified to say they are the worst they've ever been right now.

Uhm, what?
How is that supposed to work? Every review is going to be based on the preferences, viewpoints and the morality of the one reviewing it.

I'll see your "Um what?" and raise you a "WTF???". Since when are the reviewers personal moral viewpoints an essential part of a review? That is just crazy talk. The next thing you'll be telling me that if the reviewer is a Republican he ought to be reviewing it from a conservative viewpoint. "This game doesn't tell us that gay marriage is wrong so it's BAD!" Confused

Again, what's with the politics?
Morality is one of the key things that defines a person. Everything we do and say is based on these principles (at least those of us who possess them).
The other thing is personal preference.

When someone reviews something he will necessarily be talking form his own, subjective point of view and if something about a game rubs the reviewer the wrong way to an extent that he or she cannot ignore it of course they are going to mention that.
A review is always about the opinion of the reviewer, that's also the reason it's only worth a damn if you actually know the preferences of that particular reviewer.
This is a form of entertainment after all, not some scientific editorial built on a number of pre-agreed on postulates.

[edit]
Just look at the polygon review on Dragon's Crown.
The reviewer focused on the game based on her preferences and how repetetive and fun she thought the game is but she also brought up the sexism issue because that is one of the things that is important to her. And that is totally fine.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2013, 16:58.

News Comments > Op Ed
52. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 16:29 yuastnav

Prez wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 13:45:
People keep saying "RPS is great but..." It makes me wonder what is so great about them. Most everything from them nowadays is whiny soapbox preaching and desperate trolling for hits like this BS article. Their current journalist team consists of a bunch of attention-starved hacks from what Ive seen lately. Just because they were good once doesn't mean they are above reproach. Mostly they just suck ass if you judge them on their recent history.

Uhm, what?

News Comments > Op Ed
46. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 14:00 yuastnav

First of all: please stop using the term "politically correct". :/
It was a joke.
It's a myth.
There are ideas and some people think that it might be kinda nice if these ideas were commonly accepted. For one reason or another there are then other people who oppose these ideas and label them "politically correct" out of inconvenience for themselves.

Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 12:13:
yuastnav wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 11:19:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 10:59:
[...]
There are people out there who think that mentioning "rape" means you support/like rape and those people are incredibly wrong.[...]

Actually this study suggests that exposure to aggressive jokes makes you more hostile.
This study then looks at rape itself and the findings are that exposure to rape jokes does indeed lead to effects similar to what you mentioned, or:
"Our findings indicate that sexist jokes cannot only encourage the tolerance and expression of subtle discrimination in men, but may also lead to a greater self-reported propensity to commit sexual violence against women and also a greater propensity to blame rape victims for their victimization."

I don't know how exact they were in these studies (haven't read the whole article) and I don't know whether it was checked in another study but I'd still be careful with that topic.
I remember reading somewhere else that if for example there is a group of people and among them is someone who raped a woman. If someone makes a rape joke and people, even the ones who have never commited rape and would never do it, laugh it justifies the rape in the rapists mind and he will think that the others are on his side.

If true this would be rather troubling.

There are studies that show violent video games make you more violent, that owning a gun makes you a killer, that being a man makes you a rapist, etc. Studies are the retarded (ARMAGARD! YOU SAID RETARDED! RAGE!) stepchildren of real science. They rarely take into consideration factors other than the ones they are looking at, they usually find whatever they are paid to find, and they almost always forget that correlation does not equal causation.

Sadly, science used to be about skepticism, discovery, and the search for the truth. Now science is more of a religion, with beliefs, a focus on gaining donations, and obscuring the inconvenient truth. (ARMAGARD! AL GORE WAS TOTALLY RIGHT YOU HEATHEN! RAGE!)

So? I am not talking about studies about video games.
Are you implying that all studies must be bullshit because some of them are biased or flawed? Why are you doing this? How can you make this generalisation?

And I've also got me some news for you sunshine. Science was always a religion. Just a few months ago I wrote a longer post on this site about that issue.
Yes, science is about uncovering what binds the world's innermost core together but science is also always an approximation done by human beings. They are not always reasonable. They make mistakes.
Newton is the founder of theoretical physics and was one of the greatest physicists to ever live. He was also someone who believed in occultist rituals, alchemy and tried to turn mud into gold.
Stop holding up science as the holy grail of infinite wisdom. The idea may be good but the execution was and is flawed.

Correlation never implies causation however if something is probable enough then there are effects that lead to one another and that is exactly what studies try to uncover.

Did you ever think about that we may not know everything? Maybe rapists really do think like that, i.e. as it was mentioned in the study.

I bet you don't even see the irony in your words; talking about "skepticisim", "discovery" and "truth" and IN THE SAME POST saying denouncing studies because they don't fit your definition of science and therefore everything on that matter must be wrong by definition. Skepticism is also self-skepticism.

InBlack wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 11:59:
yuastnav wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 11:19:
[...]
There are people out there who think that mentioning "rape" means you support/like rape and those people are incredibly wrong.[...]

Actually this study suggests that exposure to aggressive jokes makes you more hostile.
This study then looks at rape itself and the findings are that exposure to rape jokes does indeed lead to effects similar to what you mentioned, or:
"Our findings indicate that sexist jokes cannot only encourage the tolerance and expression of subtle discrimination in men, but may also lead to a greater self-reported propensity to commit sexual violence against women and also a greater propensity to blame rape victims for their victimization."

I don't know how exact they were in these studies (haven't read the whole article) and I don't know whether it was checked in another study but I'd still be careful with that topic.
I remember reading somewhere else that if for example there is a group of people and among them is someone who raped a woman. If someone makes a rape joke and people, even the ones who have never commited rape and would never do it, laugh it justifies the rape in the rapists mind and he will think that the others are on his side.

So in other words everyone needs to be extra careful at all times when in the company of other people because rapists murderers and other sociopaths will use any excuse to commit a crime? What a load of bullshit. Its a fucking load of PC shit, thats got nothing to do with real life. Im supposed to watch my behaviour because some other person (who doesnt have a conscience) might use subtle clues as justification to commit a crime???? This is exactly whats wrong with todays society, especially western society and the culture of North America particulary. NO MORE PERSONAL FUCKING ACCOUNTABILITY. Fuck that shit.

No, I didn't say that. I never mentioned murderes or sociopaths. I have no information on how the brains of these people work.
I am only talking about rape.
How do you know how rapists think? How do you know how murderes think?
And yes, of course you have to watch your behaviour. That is what "living with other people in a society" means. You don't go around punching everyone in the face, do you?

Your point about personal accountability is also strange. So the rapist should be personally accountable but you don't? How does that work? I probably misunderstood your point.

And how about not necessarily being extra careful but just being empathic towards other people? Maybe not everyone thinks or feels the way you do.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 11:19 yuastnav

[...]

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 10:50 yuastnav

Verno wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 10:45:
[...]
Anyways it's well trodden ground at this point. I like RPS but this article was totally unnecessary.

Why? It doesn't seem like Krahulik really comprehends what he is doing or what is going on and if you cannot reason with someone due to a lack of understanding on their part then what other choice do you have than to ignore it?
There is, of course, always the option to submit but then you would throw your own views out the window.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 09:56 yuastnav

A commendable decision on RPS' part.

+1

News Comments > NeonXSZ Early Access
2. Re: NeonXSZ Early Access Sep 9, 2013, 11:41 yuastnav

Got it yesterday and played for 2/3 hours.
I have to admit that I haven't played a lot of Descent but it was quite a fun concept and NeonXSZ is looking good, too.
So far I had fun.
However one reviewer wrote, that in this game there is no end-goal or no objective so to say, you basically just kill enemies to get better gear, so it's kind of grindy.
I don't know whether this is going to change.

Like I said, it was definitely fun, although I think I expected a bit more, but maybe this will come later. However I do not regret my purchase.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Sep 8, 2013, 12:27 yuastnav

I still don't get it.

I think people overestimate how much of a problem it actually is if you have that many flavours of Linux since. Besides, just do what Valve does and support only one of them.
If people complain you can tell them that their distribution is not officially supported.
On the other hand Linux users are an inventive bunch who would be able to hack around a bit and get it to work, unofficially, anyway.

And even if they didn't support modern games they could at least add support for games using dosbox since a native version is available for Linux. It would be almost trivial.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Survey & Linux
6. Re: Steam Hardware Survey & Linux Sep 4, 2013, 13:58 yuastnav

Trashy wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 12:55:
yuastnav wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 09:50:
Well I would use Steam on my Linux machine if it wouldn't be Ubuntu only and if Valve didn't insist on infesting my source.list with some black box repositories that could contain ANYTHING.
Yes, yes, bla, bla, entitled Linux user. I don't care.

And yes, I still use Steam on my Windows machine EXTENSIVELY but that's because I couldn't give a damn who's spying on that machine and whether draconian DRM is deeply nested within the bowels of the system. It's unsuitable for serious work for me.
Though it doesn't mean I like that.

I have it running fine on Fedora 17.. It can in fact run on many distributions..

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_under_Linux

Yes I'm the .93%

Thanks for the link Crow but the thing is... I mean, installing a .deb package for Ubuntu under Debian wouldn't be that much of a hassle but still don't want to install any 3rd party closed-source packages into my repository. That is the main problem I have with Steam under Linux. :/
Just let me make a user specifically for that, with the least permissions possible and give me a tar package or something.
Or do it like Desura does, in a non-intrusive way.

777 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo