Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 749 (Apprentice)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dragon Age - Origins Free on Origin
27. Re: Dragon Age - Origins Free on Origin Oct 9, 2014, 04:37 yuastnav

Couldn't get myself to finish Origins.
Maybe people hyped it up too much but I really didn't like it that much. It wasn't bad but it was also no Baldur's Gate or Fallout. I had fun with it but it didn't hook me.

Looking forward to Pillars of Eternity, though. And the new Torment.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen at $56M; CitizenCon Friday
55. Re: Star Citizen at $56M; CitizenCon Friday Oct 8, 2014, 16:31 yuastnav

Is a joystick so much better?

I've actually gotten quite adept at killing stuff with keyboard and mouse. With a joystick I wouldn't really know how to bind thrust up/down/right/left. Thrust forward/backward makes sense, you can also pitch and roll, you can yaw if you have a joystick you can twist but I don't see any sensible solution for thrusting in the other directions.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2014, 13:13 yuastnav

Cutter wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 12:31:
But in a new statement issued last night, Ubisoft explained that the producer had been "misinterpreted".

"We understand how senior producer Vincent Pontbriand's quotes have been misinterpreted. To set the record straight, we did not lower the specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity to account for any one system over the other," a Ubisoft spokesperson said.

And marketing assholes wonder why they're despised by everyone. Evasiveness, half-truths and outright damned lies and more damned lies. How the fuck do those people sleep at night? Oh right, they don't have a conscience or a soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
26. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 6, 2014, 20:25 yuastnav

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 18:22:
Beamer wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 18:15:
Julio wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 18:10:
Perhaps the gaming industry will have to figure out how to do more with less, just like everyone else.

If you ran things, they would. Budgets would plummet as AAA games went for $10 and indie game sold for $0.99. When budgets fall, layoffs happen and quality goes with it.

This would be no problem if everyone had a standard income that is high enough to sustain life by default (no matter his situation, rich or not)....

If every human being could without money pressure decide what to actually do in life then we would have cheap games of insane high quality, because only people who LOVE making games would be making games. And they would not care about ROI. This would further boost social services (done by people, for people, without payment) because someone who knows for sure he won't starve next month might notice he enjoys helping others who are ill or need help.

That the world is fucked up as it is is exactly because everyone has to cheat someone else out of money in order to survive. And remember, your income is someone else's debt. Every cent you earn, someone else loses. Capitalism is to put it bluntly, a system designed to kill the human race in the long-term. Because greed is infinite, but resources are not.

Hmm.

Isn't that basically almost technocratic communism?
There is no money but food and items like clothing, cars etc. are made by machines and are free for anyone to acquire and use while everyone is able to pursue science, art etc. and barely anyone does menial labour? In an extremely simplified way, of course. Not sure how exactly that would work out in reality.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
16. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 6, 2014, 05:09 yuastnav

Flatline wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 14:50:
Beamer wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 13:30:
NKD wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 13:08:
Beamer wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 12:23:
That's all that this interview really is - someone makes a small very niche game complaining that few people are interested. Which is what happens when something is small and niche.

Unless you know somebody, in which case a single article on a gaming news website can make all the difference in the world, even for a simple non-games like this guys visual novel, or Depression Quest.

That type of favor currying is commonplace in many industries, but that doesn't make it okay, or any less frustrating for someone who sees equivalent projects take off because of insider connections, while their project flounders.

Though true, c'mon, it's how everything in the world works. Every single thing. How do most people get jobs? By knowing someone in the company to pass on the resume. Have you ever known an employee at a busy restaurant? Then you could get reservations. Have you known someone that works for a sports team? Then you could probably get tickets.

We like to live in some kind of weird world where everything is based on merit, but that's an impossibility because determining merit is extremely time consuming. If there's someone you know, who also is worth merit, it tends to go to that person because you don't have to go through a billion things to find him/her.

There are 2,119 submissions in Steam Greenlight. How many, realistically, can get coverage? How many people would read the coverage? And how long would someone have to spend sorting through those to find one to cover? How many would he have to look at, how many would he have to play, how many hours would he have to play?

2,119 submissions. Not all will get any form of coverage.

Doesn't that argument make the coverage Depression Quest got more absurd?

I played it, and while it was okay it didn't reveal any deep understanding or revelation about living with depression. But I did see multiple articles about it, while passing over what at the time might have been more deserving games.

[...]

So? That is kind of personal preference. To this day I cannot fathom why, say, Bioshock Infinite got as much coverage as it did since almost any other game would have been more interesting. But that is just my personal opinion.
It may not have been interesting for you (I played Depression Quest for a couple of minutes before getting bored of it myself).
I knew about Depression Quest way before this all got out of hand but I didn't think much about it and only after this douche started his "omg look at me and my hurt" blog I started seeing more and more of it. To me this looks a bit like the Streisand effect so if you're unhappy with how much coverage this got blame Zoe's alleged ex-boyfriend.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 Launches
22. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 Launches Oct 4, 2014, 13:27 yuastnav

I'm pretty happy with the Thrustmaster 16000 but then again I don't have high standards.

This is the cheapest joystick with hall sensors that you can get, though. At least as far as I know. And yes, it is pretty accurate.

News Comments > etc., etc.
13. Re: etc., etc. Oct 4, 2014, 12:04 yuastnav

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 11:14:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 06:15:
Cpmartins wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 22:00:
He is wrong. Gamergate never was about misogyny. It's about lying colluding pseudojornalists. The fact that zoe is a despicable human being just adds to the sewer that gaming "journalism" is.

Why is she despicable?

Because she fucked her way to the top and uses her SJW game journalist buddies and indie game cronies to silence and screw with people who are critical of her.

Check out the Encyclopedia Dramatica article about her. It's quite illuminating (and very NSFW).

You base your information on the Encyclopedia Dramatica?

... are you serious?

What do you mean by "fucked her way to the top"? The top of what?
By the way, SJW as a term is very childish. It would also be news to me that you can "use" videogame journalists to silence someone.

I still have little idea about what is going on but the allegations you provided are questionable.

11. Re: etc., etc. Oct 4, 2014, 08:55 yuastnav

What?  

9. Re: etc., etc. Oct 4, 2014, 06:15 yuastnav

Cpmartins wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 22:00:
He is wrong. Gamergate never was about misogyny. It's about lying colluding pseudojornalists. The fact that zoe is a despicable human being just adds to the sewer that gaming "journalism" is.

Why is she despicable?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 4, 2014, 06:11 yuastnav

Beamer wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 13:23:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 13:00:
Beamer wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 12:20:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 12:13:
Beamer wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 12:10:
Creston wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 11:37:
Comcast pizza party... I'd laugh if it wasn't so sad. At least they apparently sprung for good pizza. I would have fully expected Comcast to show up with 2 small, plain cheese pizzas from Cici's or something.

They haven't done this in my building yet because my building doesn't have CondoInternet. The one I was supposed to move into did, but I switched to this one at the last minute since it has a ridiculous view, but no CondoInternet. Apparently I'm the only one bugging the leasing office.

I find it funny that they mention X1 at the end. I would love X1, but you can't get it out here without also getting landline. Guess what, Comcast: no one in an apartment in this part of Seattle has a fucking landline. No one in this neighborhood is over 60.

You would trade gigabit internet for a good view? Shame on you! ^^

I look North and I see the Space Needle about 500 yards away, look West and see the Puget Sound sprawling out about 500 yards away, and look South and see Mt. Rainer in the distance.

It's pretty awesome and I'm going to miss it when I leave Seattle.

I guess I have the simple problem of understanding what the POINT of a good view out a window is. Doesn't enrich my life one bit...

Waking up to floor to ceiling windows with a view of the most notable features of your city with sunlight spilling in everywhere is really great.

Gigabyte internet, on the other hand, rarely seems like it'd be better than the 50mbps I'm getting now, as I'm usually limited by the server, not my connection.

I get what you mean. In my office I just have to turn 180 degrees and I see the whole Frankfurt skyline. It's quite a view.
Makes it even better that Frankfurt is the only city in Germany with a skyline. :p

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 2014, 06:16.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 Launches
16. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 Launches Oct 4, 2014, 06:06 yuastnav

I'd really like to explore the galaxy but I'm not sure whether the Sidewinder is the right ship for that.

They did a wipe, right? I remember having over 20000 credits but when I played it yesterday (shortly before the server crashed or something) I had only 1000 again and it takes a long time to get enough money to buy new ships (although surprisingly there were more quests and even a couple which gave 10000+ credits).

There is going to be another wipe before final release, right? I figured in that case it's no use to go trade the whole time but to get a bit of money and try out different things, like upgrades, weapons etc. and go explore.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Delayed
16. Re: Pillars of Eternity Delayed Oct 3, 2014, 08:10 yuastnav

Meh, I'm playing and enjoying Wasteland 2, I can wait.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 28, 2014, 13:20 yuastnav

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 27, 2014, 22:39:
Is this the open source security apocalypse? These things are used by billion $ corporations and they don't audit them first? What the actual hell.

btw, on my Android tablet with Cyanogen mod 11 nightly the vuln also exists. Gonna need an update too heh...

Audit? What do you mean by that?
You don't have a checklist of ALL possible ways you can attack something because it's up to the fantasy of attacker to find a new way. Of course there are specifications for how secure something should be but that doesn't mean that it's bulletproof, open source or not.
You are actually lucky that you can read about it BECAUSE it's open source. Do you think every company that writes closed source software discloses every vulnerability it ever had that was (not) patched?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 24, 2014, 14:18 yuastnav

I will never understand people's fascination with Gnome.

I use e19. If I didn't have that I'd use KDE. Or fluxbox. Or something like that.

Gnome... Why??? D: D: D:

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 18, 2014, 14:20 yuastnav

Cutter wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 10:45:
Ok, really. All this PC shit going on of late really, really, really, really, really, really needs to stop.

“Gaming has become kind of xenophobic, and almost rightly so, because people want to protect their own and ‘keep it within the family,’” Conn said. “But I don’t think that should mean that we can’t grow either. It seems like there are a lot of people who resist even the idea that a lot of culture isn’t exactly the most friendly to women or gays or queer people in general. But there are small changes that I think won’t affect most people—that won’t harm the culture of gaming—but will make a lot of other people feel a lot better and more welcome and accepted.”

Yeah, we get it already. We've got it for decades now. If we're white heterosexual males we're monsters oppressing everyone else and making their lives a living hell. Well, I guess we may as well go out and join the Klan and Nazi parties in that case seeing as we're all so evil to begin with. Woops, the Satanists too. Musn't forget that we have to join the Church of Satan as well.

You know, that's how you interpret it.
I'm not free from sin but somehow when I read something like that I don't feel guilty because I don't feel spoken to, even though I'm a heterosexual white male.
It speaks volumes that you always get pissed off about these things, as if it hits too close to home. How many skeletons do you hide in your closet?

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
9. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 15, 2014, 10:37 yuastnav

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 10:33:
http://www.p4rgaming.com/mojang-prepares-to-make-kinect-sports-games/

When I read the article I had to check the date to make sure it's not April the 1st 'cause it damn sure reads like it is.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Launch Pricing and Preorder Bonus
61. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Pricing and Preorder Bonus Sep 13, 2014, 16:18 yuastnav

So I finally decided to buy this game and started playing it a few minutes ago. My first Elite game. Am playing with mouse and keyboard and I managed to dock properly on my very first try. Yay. Feel so proud.
I do have a Thrustmaster T.16000 but I'm not sure whether I am going to use it.

By the way, what key do I use when I'm in a sub-menu (like in the menu where you request docking permission) and I want to go back?

Edit:
And is there a way to use the mouse inside the cockpit? For example in the X games you can press a button which detaches the mouse from steering the ship and gives you a mouse cursor so you can click around.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
10. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 12, 2014, 03:07 yuastnav

So is that how it works nowadays? If you don't like what someone has to say you just call him a troll and basically try to kill all discussion because you don't want to admit you're wrong?  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 11:58 yuastnav

Yes people, please whine even more. Your tears are delicious.

And before anyone says anything: Instead of writing something constructive I decided to continue on the level set by the lovely people who posted before me.

News Comments > Sims 4 Pirate Copies Pixelated
27. Re: Sims 4 Pirate Copies Pixelated Sep 4, 2014, 16:02 yuastnav

Meh, I picked up Sims 3 during one of the last Steam sales and played it for a bit. I actually liked it.
What intrigues me about games like these is the simulation underneath. You shape the world in some way and try to control the lives of your sims but the interesting part is watching how everything plays out. I have the same fascination with Dwarf Fortress.
Unfortunately the algorithms that drive the sims in the Sims games aren't that sophisticated and it doesn't seem like it's the focus of the devs.

749 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo