Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 840 (Graduate)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Life is Strange
13. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Life is Strange Jan 31, 2015, 04:35 yuastnav

nin wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 21:15:
yuastnav wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 20:20:
Okay, so I actually finished Episode 1 and it's pretty shor.
Steam says I've played for 7 hours but I think I've idled for 3 of those.

It was a beautiful experience. Beautiful game.

If they can keep that pace, $20 for 20 hours (even 15) is awesome.

Yeah, that's what I hope. Anyway, the money I paid for that experience was entirely worth it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Life is Strange Jan 30, 2015, 20:20 yuastnav

Okay, so I actually finished Episode 1 and it's pretty shor.
Steam says I've played for 7 hours but I think I've idled for 3 of those.

It was a beautiful experience. Beautiful game.

9. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Life is Strange Jan 30, 2015, 13:36 yuastnav

Okay so I couldn't resist and actually played for ten minutes or so.

When I first saw the trailers I thought this is a point and click game like those Telltale games, which I'm not really a fan of and thus haven't played but you can actually roam around with WASD and interact with stuff etc. which really surprised me in a very, very positive way.

I like the voice acting and I really dig the aesthetics. I'm note sure whether this is in any way related to cell-shading (it kinda looks like borderlands/xiii/telltale but also kind not) but it's really nice.

Overall the game has a serene feel to it, dunno how to describe.
This was a really raw first impression but at the moment I'm not regretting spending those 20 bucks at all.

Would love to hear other people's opinions.

6. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Life is Strange Jan 30, 2015, 12:51 yuastnav

It's downloading right now. Hopefully I'll be able to play it during the weekend. Am totally tired from the week and just want to sleep but have to practice guitar... >_>  

News Comments > Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Released
10. Re: Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Released Jan 30, 2015, 09:20 yuastnav

Kobalt wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 23:21:
Why do people keep giving david cage money? All his games are mostly story where the story is terrible.

Well, I guess people sometimes like really terrible stories. Maybe something akin to a guilty pleasure? I like the first Judge Dredd movie, the one with Sylvester Stallone, although it's pretty terrible. Guilty pleasure.
Same probably extends to David Cage games.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 29, 2015, 14:42 yuastnav

I don't understand why most people think that AIs will try to conquer humanity anyway.
There was actually a book by Stanislaw Lem about a computer that was vastly more intelligent than any human. Instead of waging war it just stopped communicating at some point.

Though I guess if you make computers as intelligent as humans this could be bad, though in this case they wouldn't be super intelligent.

News Comments > Star Citizen Persistent Universe Presentation; Funding Hits $71M
21. Re: Star Citizen Persistent Universe Presentation; Funding Hits $71M Jan 28, 2015, 16:41 yuastnav

Task wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 16:30:
The backers already have access to the FPS module as well, so they are playing with that, not just the dogfight stuff. They also have access to a very early alpha of the social interaction module they talk about there, players waltzing around a market, etc.

So are there videos about that? Or is it NDAd?

Can't they already show the MMO part? I dunno, just make one solar system or something i.e. not a large scale.

News Comments > Star Citizen Persistent Universe Presentation; Funding Hits $71M
19. Re: Star Citizen Persistent Universe Presentation; Funding Hits $71M Jan 28, 2015, 16:24 yuastnav

Chris, less talking and more gameplay footage plx.

There... there is gameplay, right? I mean, after 4/5 years (according to the evil wikipedia development started in 2011) surely there is something to show.

I haven't quite followed the release schedule. Besides this dogfighting module, what else did they release that's interesting?

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 27, 2015, 19:57 yuastnav

jdreyer wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 19:50:
FCC: Blocking Wi-Fi in hotels is prohibited.

Hotels will lobby congress. A new law will be passed allowing hotel wi fi to be blocked. Because freedom.

http://youtu.be/Rfd0_7BcU-0?t=1m33s

News Comments > Frontier Announces Coaster Park Tycoon & Layoffs
12. Re: Frontier Announces Coaster Park Tycoon & Layoffs Jan 27, 2015, 06:33 yuastnav

Ventura wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 19:45:
Chance of me buying this based on what features they say it's going to include: 0%.

Fool me once, guys...

As long as I'm going to enjoy my game it's okay.

News Comments > Gearbox Recruiting for "Next Borderlands"
20. Re: Gearbox Recruiting for Jan 26, 2015, 15:34 yuastnav

Beamer wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 12:22:
yuastnav wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 11:27:
I was bored after the a couple of hours with the first game. Though I still cannot forgive Mr. Pitchfork for the DNF fiasco, not to mention Aliens.

I guess this is the way it goes. Once you have a successful series you just throw creativity out the window, copy paste some of the old stuff, give it a new coat of paint and call it a day.

If all you've played of the series was a couple of hours of the first game, how can you say that they're throwing creativity out the window, copy-pasting and giving a new coat of paint?

I mean, all we know is that they're hiring. Quick to make that judgment, no? I'd wager some of your favorite games are sequels. And Borderlands 2 was definitely not lacking in creativity. The Prequel may have been, though people here seemed to enjoy it quite a bit. But that was also the outsourced same-engine game. Borderlands 3, from the primary team, with a new engine, will be where they try new things.

That's true, but I've seen reviews and gameplay videos of Borderlands 2 and it just looked... totally the same.

You are right, of course. Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast is an extremely awesome game. It's a sequel but, at least tech-wise, it doesn't have anything to do with the games before. Setting is the same and gameplay is very similar but what made the game shine was its interface.

I just don't see where they can go with Borderlands 3 so it doesn't look and play exactly like all the predecessors. I'm also really annoyed at people hashing out sequels instead of trying something new. My favourite video game is Gothic but every game after that is just basically the same thing. Nameless hero in a fantasy world with undead creatures and three classes to chose form. That's it, that's all Piranha Bytes knows and it's incredibly frustrating.
To me it just looks like the same is happening with Borderlands.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record
8. Re: PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record Jan 26, 2015, 15:26 yuastnav

I think I clocked in about 85 hours on Steam, but I've played much more before without Steam and also during the Beta.

It's a great game to get into from time to time. Most of the standard weapons are actually fine, except for the sniper rifle. I actually paid a bit of money for gold to get the Bolt action rifle but it was worth it.

It's always nice if you can get into a squad with a platoon and active squad leaders but, after a patch, you can actually do without, since you get missions to defend or to capture a certain area.

I've finally discovered the long-distance infiltrator. Actually played on Hossin on Cobalt Saturday night, when the record was made and got quite a few headdies.

Netcode is not that great but it's very functional. This game is definitely less skill based than your Quake 2/Quake 3 CPMA but the sheer scope of the game makes it awesome to play. Just wish there were more players, though you can get a good game Friday/Saturday/Sunday evening. Maybe even during the week but I'm not sure, don't really play it then.

Man, it's always such a blast when you managed to capture The Crown on Indar. It's IMPOSSIBLE to drive the enemy out of there but sometimes, when everything's just right, those sweet, sweet moments when everything comes together... you can do it.

[edit]
Truth.

News Comments > Ubisoft Deactivating Far Cry 4 Keys; Cites Fraud
9. Re: Ubisoft Deactivating Far Cry 4 Keys; Cites Fraud Jan 26, 2015, 15:21 yuastnav

So Ubisoft basically took the stance "Guilty until proven... fuck it, they're guilty anyway"?  

News Comments > Gearbox Recruiting for "Next Borderlands"
5. Re: Gearbox Recruiting for Jan 26, 2015, 11:27 yuastnav

I was bored after the a couple of hours with the first game. Though I still cannot forgive Mr. Pitchfork for the DNF fiasco, not to mention Aliens.

I guess this is the way it goes. Once you have a successful series you just throw creativity out the window, copy paste some of the old stuff, give it a new coat of paint and call it a day.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch
26. Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 25, 2015, 18:43 yuastnav

Flatline wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 16:28:
yuastnav wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 15:11:
He cannot stretch the development of the game out indefinitely, or else something similar that happened to Duke Nukem Forever will happen, too.

If I remember correctly (and the early E3 trailers will probably confirm that) it was supposed to use the Unreal (Tournament) engine but since the engine was old they decided to scrap the project and redo it.

So Star Citizen will have to limitations.
1. At some point the tech of the game will get old, be it because of advancements in graphics, user interface (i.e. how players expect a game should handle).
2. The game is limited by the available tech. You cannot have a huge world with millions of dynamically changeable parts because the computation and memory restrictions won't allow it.

I just don't get how they think they can get away with such a project. Maybe the programmers didn't tell Roberts that what he wants is impossible and hope that it will just become abandonware at some point? Or maybe it will have to be scaled down at some point.

I always heard that SC was going to use Crysis as the game engine. Never heard about the UT engine being used.

But even so, they're basically having to rewrite most of it since the Crysis engine isn't meant to render entire solar systems at once.

I guess I misplaced a paragraph. I meant that DNF used the UT engine, as panbient pointed out (although I didn't know it started out with the Quake 2 engine), at which point they decided it's too old and had to start from scratch again.

What I mean is that the Crysis engine is also a couple of years old already and, from a technological standpoint, probably not the most modern one (it's likely I'm wrong in some way since I don't know anything about that topic).
And if they end up rewriting big parts of it to suit the game AND have to rewrite other aspects to just keep up with the times I'll wonder why they started out using this engine in the first place instead making one on their own. This is the part that made least sense to me.
Yeah, Crysis levels were big but this is just a whole different scale, especially considering that they want to have the ship aspect AND the fps aspect in the game.

I'm curious how they're going to do it in E:D since some devs professed interest not only in planetary landing but also in walking around your own ship.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch
22. Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 25, 2015, 15:11 yuastnav

He cannot stretch the development of the game out indefinitely, or else something similar that happened to Duke Nukem Forever will happen, too.

If I remember correctly (and the early E3 trailers will probably confirm that) it was supposed to use the Unreal (Tournament) engine but since the engine was old they decided to scrap the project and redo it.

So Star Citizen will have to limitations.
1. At some point the tech of the game will get old, be it because of advancements in graphics, user interface (i.e. how players expect a game should handle).
2. The game is limited by the available tech. You cannot have a huge world with millions of dynamically changeable parts because the computation and memory restrictions won't allow it.

I just don't get how they think they can get away with such a project. Maybe the programmers didn't tell Roberts that what he wants is impossible and hope that it will just become abandonware at some point? Or maybe it will have to be scaled down at some point.

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
702. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 21, 2015, 09:19 yuastnav

So my edtracker arrived yesterday. Hopefully I'll have time these days to test it out.  

News Comments > Saints Row IV: Gat out of Hell Released
18. Re: Saints Row IV: Gat out of Hell Released Jan 21, 2015, 05:37 yuastnav

Well, the article that I'm referring to is here.

[...]
"We're definitely considering Saints Row IV sort of the end of that saga of this character and the Saints as they are," Phillips continued.

"So if there's any more future Saints Rows which you know we always hope there will be, we hope there's fans for future games like that they will probably continue in a different direction."

Well, this interview is a year and a half old so who knows what their opinion on it is now.

6. Re: Saints Row IV: Gat out of Hell Released Jan 20, 2015, 18:55 yuastnav

nin wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 17:57:
I love SR, but I'm tired of these expansions. I want a new, full game.

Fat chance.

From what I've read is that they are sort of done...? I think they are unsure themselves. On the one hand they explicitly stated they have no idea where to go from here since they can't think of anything even more over the top.
On the other hand they still want to make games in the Saints Row universe.

This probably means that we are stuck with these kinds of expansions. It's only a matter of time, though, until even the last person gets tired and just stops buying them.

4. Re: Saints Row IV: Gat out of Hell Released Jan 20, 2015, 18:53 yuastnav

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 18:45:
yuastnav wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 17:51:
Will unlock for Europeans in 2 days... :/
Gaben why?

Unlocks = publisher decision, not GabeN

Yeah I know. I just hoped that GabeN, through his omniscience, would read my plea on this board and unlock the game anyway.

840 Comments. 42 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo