Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 974 (Graduate)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups
20. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 06:17 yuastnav

Rhialto wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 20:48:
Anyone else frustrated it won't be on Steam?

Wait, what? Well, that sucks. :/
Guess I'm not going to play it then.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Xenonauts 2 Announced
7. Re: Xenonauts 2 Announced Feb 4, 2016, 07:15 yuastnav

Yaaay, more Xenonauts!  

News Comments > Godus Becomes Godus Wars
1. Re: Godus Becomes Godus Wars Feb 3, 2016, 10:00 yuastnav

"We said this simple thing - “Why don't we change Godus into a RTS style game with God-game capabilities and landscape modification, a RTS game with a huge amount of variation and power, the ability to approach each battle in a different way?”

Uh, you mean like Populous? Like the game people originally wanted? Good for you, Pete, good for you...

News Comments > GRIP Early Access
4. Re: GRIP Early Access Feb 3, 2016, 03:35 yuastnav

It's the first time I hear about this and when I heard "combat racing" it didn't sound appealing. But this actually looks fun. The trailer looks good. Really reminds me of P.O.D. for some reason. Was a great game.  

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Rolls Out
11. Re: American Truck Simulator Rolls Out Feb 3, 2016, 03:33 yuastnav

I happily bought this game when it came out yesterday. Unfortunately I will not be able to play it for the next few weeks. :/
In fact I don't know when I'll be able to play at all.

Two states and two trucks? Didn't know that. On the other hand I don't mind at all. There will probably be more trucks in the future and two states seem reasonable.

Also I like the sound of the scaling of the maps.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2016, 10:48 yuastnav

nin wrote on Feb 1, 2016, 09:57:
Why you might want to think twice about getting your wisdom teeth removed.

I have a dentist who asks me almost every time I'm in about them. And I tell him as long as they're not causing an issue (I've had one removed, due to problems with the tooth in front of it) they're staying in place.

Heh yeah. I'm originally from East Europe and have been living in Germany for most of my life and it was weird because in the countries like Greece, Russia, Ukraine etc. it's not a common practice to pull the wisdom teeth, only if it's an emergency and here in Germany almost everyone I talk to had his wisdom teeth pulled out at one point.

Man, I'm keeping mine. As long as they don't cause any issues they'll just stay right where they are.

News Comments > SUPERHOT This Month
1. Re: SUPERHOT This Month Feb 1, 2016, 10:45 yuastnav

Woah, Superhot on the 25th and Stardew Valley on the 26th. And American Truck Simulator is going to come out soon.

Unfortunately this month is quite busy for me and I'm going on a conference next month. How do I find the time? :/

News Comments > Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Preorders; Trailer
10. Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Preorders; Trailer Jan 28, 2016, 07:49 yuastnav

InBlack wrote on Jan 28, 2016, 02:36:
yuastnav wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 12:34:
[

I'm hopeful about Space Hulk: Spacewing....

You mean Space Hulk: Deathwing? There has been no news on that for ages now, I fear it may be in serious trouble....

Oh yeah, that's the one.
Well, they did post a facebook update a couple of days ago. However, no ingame pics. That is what's bothering me a bit.

News Comments > Cossacks 3 Video
1. Re: Cossacks 3 Video Jan 27, 2016, 12:37 yuastnav

Looks good. Looks just like Cossacks only with modern graphics. Makes me happy.  

News Comments > Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Preorders; Trailer
6. Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Preorders; Trailer Jan 27, 2016, 12:34 yuastnav

Primalchrome wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 10:20:
Am I the only one that is VERY skittish about any GW licensed products? Just look at the current Steam sale; it seems like they've made shovelware a hobby in the past few years. The last really good 40k game was either Space Marine or Dawn of War II....and the only one that has gotten any real press pre-release has been Warhammer Total War.

I'm hopeful about Space Hulk: Spacewing, which is developed by Streum-On Studious. They did E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy which was a superb shooter and really nailed the sort of WH40K atmosphere down.

I really want Battlefleet Gothic to be good but I'm going to wait for a lot of reviews.

News Comments > Star Wars: Imperial Commando Rumor
8. Re: Star Wars: Imperial Commando Rumor Jan 26, 2016, 04:40 yuastnav

I hope so. Republic Commando was really good.  

News Comments > Overwatch Beta Returns Next Month
14. Re: Overwatch Beta Returns Next Month Jan 22, 2016, 07:02 yuastnav

Pfft, didn't get in the beta. Obviously Blizzard doesn't want one of the best FPS players on this stupid rock to beta test their game. Oh well fine whatever. Will wait for reviews for this game like all the reset anyway. >_>  

News Comments > Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Released
17. Re: Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Released Jan 21, 2016, 12:06 yuastnav

NKD wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 10:10:
yuastnav wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 08:49:
Unfortunately they decided to let the AI cheat instead of putting any real work into it and this is what we get.

You know I really get tired of seeing this shit. There are a lot of really smart people out there working on AI for gaming applications, but there are a lot of hurdles.

You know how up until a few years ago, you needed a really powerful machine to reliably beat a skilled human at something as simple as chess? Now take chess, add 20 new pieces, remove the predefined movement grid, and make it realtime. Add another player or 3 or 4 while you're at it as well. Oh, and you have to actually run the game and render the shit at the same time, on a $1000 PC.

There's the problem with developing AI for RTS, and why RTS has always been primarily a player versus player affair. Similar problems arise for just about any AI in a realtime game. You can do a bit better with turn-based games since you can allow more time for computation and deal with things discretely rather than continuously. But you're still dealing with needing algorithms way more complicated than for chess.

Oh, and you can never reuse those algorithms because no two games are the same.

It's not a matter of laziness or misplaced focus, it's just a massive technical cockblock that will not be conquered with conventional computing.

Chess is not really simple. The basic set of instructions is but that's it.
When you break it down, so is actually a RTS. The basic set of instructions is not that complicated. Also it's not really comparable to chess because in chess the computer just precalculates a certain amount of moves and makes the move that will lead to victory with the highest probability.

And when people make AIs that are actually good against humans without cheating (like Starcraft 2) then it's either stupidity or laziness.
And if you rather want to make fancy smoke effects instead of hiring someone who knows AI then it's also misplaced focus. There are so many scientists working on machine learning and what not and yet AI in video games is one of the things that barely changes.

I'm not saying everyone should be like the guys from Keen Software House with ludicrous dreams of AI but it's time to go to the next level.

Apart from that there were also games like Far Cry that not only pushed the envelope for graphical fidelity for that but also managed to have an excellent AI.

So yes, this is why there is good reason to believe it was either stupidity or laziness on the part of Blackbird Interactive.

News Comments > Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Released
7. Re: Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Released Jan 21, 2016, 08:49 yuastnav

AI is often something that is not done well. I rarely play on anything but normal. There were some cases where I put it on hard, though, and for most games that either means that the computer starts cheating in one way or another or the enemies just have more HP, which is frustratingly boring.

Unfortunately they decided to let the AI cheat instead of putting any real work into it and this is what we get. I am not a very good RTS player by any means but this is the one thing that will put me off from buying this game since it looks pretty interesting.

News Comments > Darkest Dungeon Released
9. Re: Darkest Dungeon Released Jan 20, 2016, 18:32 yuastnav

Hmm, I actually thought this was going to be difficult. But after playing it for a few hours I've yet to lose a single character or abandon a single quest.

Oh, it will happen. For me the pinnacle of rogue likes is still Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup and after having played thousands of games and pumped hundreds of hours into it I've not gotten the Orb of Zot ONCE. The maximum I managed is to get two runes.
This game has been quite a bit easier so far. I guess this is because it has much less complexity and depth but it's quite fun so far.

News Comments > Keep Your Free CONSORTIUM
18. Re: Keep Your Free CONSORTIUM Jan 18, 2016, 20:08 yuastnav

Never played it because I was waiting for the RockPaperShotgun review. Finally bought it last Steam Autum Sale and only remembered now that I actually have a copy. Hopefully will give it a go in the next few days.  

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
1165. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 16, 2016, 06:35 yuastnav

I played yesterday for a couple of hours. After I was almost killed in my Cobra MKIII again I bought a Viper MKIII and outfitted it with some beam lasers and multicannons.

I don't know what happened but I got very lucky. I was flying around Alioth 4 in a RES and managed to make ~1.5 million. It took me between 30 minutes and one hour. The game just kept spawning ships with bounties between 100k and 200k credits. Started off with an anaconda and kept spawning pythons and what not. Used my last bullets to kill another anaconda and then jumped back to Golden Gate.

Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce that same experience and only managed to make about 500 thousand in total in two subsequent runs which cost me 3 hours or so. Spent about 1 of those hours running from an Anaconda with 0% hull and a bounty of 213k. What a shame.

Anyway, I changed my plans. I will now bounty hunt until I can afford a Vulture (just have to find one of those in or around Alioth) and then I will bounty hunt some more to finally get my Asp Explorer. I was thinking about just buying an Asp Scout but people aren't very kind towards that ship.

I'll probably sell my Viper but keep my Cobra. Despite not having any luck with bounty hunting lately it's a trusty ship.

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2016, 07:19.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 15, 2016, 14:57 yuastnav

Yes. Yes you should.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 15, 2016, 07:49 yuastnav

If the netflix news is true then that means bye bye Netflix subscription.  

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X
30. Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 14:34 yuastnav

Quinn wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 05:50:
[...]
Why are we Windows "fanboys"? Easy: because it WORKS!
[...]

Uh huh. I've been using windows for 22 years, Linux for 13. I find Linux so much more comfortable although I basically grew up with Windows. The "it works" mantra is a myth to me, because it really doesn't. I have my fair share of problems with both operating system but in terms of user friendliness and stability I've had a much better experience with Linux than with Windows.

974 Comments. 49 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo