Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for dardin

Real Name dardin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname dardin
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 22, 2010, 22:31
Total Comments 34 (Suspect)
User ID 55783

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO
9. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 17:13 dardin

Darks wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 17:01:
I want to know what’s going to happen to games that still use game spy as a service for playing games. Does this now mean that once their gone, so are those servers and any ability to now connecting or host games are also gone? Sounds like an EA tactic in the making here.

That is GameSpy Technologies, not Gamespy.com. They are owned by two different companies. Read this: http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/122/1226912p1.html

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2013, 17:46.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO
8. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 17:08 dardin

Found memories of PlanetQuake and QSpy which eventually became GameSpy3D and an entire network of Planet websites. Definitely a sign of the times. Sad to see anyone lose their job, but at the same time I cannot recall the last time I went to any of those websites.  

News Comments > DayZ Mod on Steam
4. Re: DayZ Mod on Steam Feb 21, 2013, 10:07 dardin

coldcut wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 09:00:
And it's (still) free!

Bit misleading because it's only free if you already own Arma 2 CO. For those who do not already own them I personally would not recommend wasting your money buying them for this free mod. Wait for the stand alone to come out which hopefully fixes a lot of things. More then anything the stand alone needs to find a solution to all the hackers that currently ruin the mod.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2013, 10:18.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines
20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 10:07 dardin

The last Aliens game which I picked up on a Steam sale for $5 was not very good either. I played it for a couple hours and then uninstalled it. So I do not find it surprising at all that this one would turn out to be even worse.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2013, 12:47 dardin

I will also miss Bradshaw and I mourn the loss of such a great guy. His passion for the game and dedication to the team since he joined them is unquestionable. That being said I felt this is the right move by the Giants. Unfortunately he has some serious ongoing injuries that really have the poor guy probably on the downside of his career. The Giants simply could not afford to continue paying that kind of salary for someone who has not been 100% in a couple years now.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 7, 2013, 12:33 dardin

Cutter wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 10:07:
I agree. I hope Sony and MS are stupid enough to require always on and ban used game sales because that really will be the death knell for console gaming. These are going to be the last consoles regardless.

Lets just say the big two both do this. I am curious what you think would then replace console gaming?

PC gaming has already been doing this for years now. Pretty much every new PC game requires you to activate it through some online service (battlenet, steam, origin), locking that copy to you and making it have no resell value. So if this is the death knell of console gaming and there is no alternative then where are people going to migrate to for their gaming fix?

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 7, 2013, 12:27 dardin

nin wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 09:08:
Microsoft responds to Xbox 720 ‘always-on’ net connection rumour.

I think this sums it up best:

You know what? Bring it on. As a consumer, I am so damn tired of hearing the game industry blame everything but themselves for their failures. Okay, let's go. Let the PS4 and the 720 both ship with features that kill used games entirely.

Then, when this next generation fails miserably (and it will, if they do this), maybe these assholes can stop blaming us.

You know what we're going to get in the next generation? Even fewer games from the major studios, because there will be zero market for most games if they can't be resold. There will be a few exceptions--Madden (God help us) and COD and GTA--but there is going to be a real dearth of product.

Game sales, except for a very few franchises, are going to plummet. Console sales, too. But if the games can't be resold, and they can't be pirated, then it can't be our fault this time, right?

This is like the dinosaurs, possessing advanced technology, calling for their own meteor strike.

Love that last line!

I disagree that there will be fewer games developed as a result of this. This type of feature is something the publishers want. They want to lock each copy of a game sold to one console. They currently do not make any money off the resell market. Killing off that market means the possibility of increased retail sales which they get money from.

Now if consumers are so turned off by this that they refuse to buy a console doing this, that would cause fewer games to be developed.

News Comments > John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support
18. Re: John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support Feb 6, 2013, 10:59 dardin

I really don't care what Carmack thinks about anything game related anymore. He is so out of touch with the genera. His thoughts are pretty much irrelevant. When is the last time ID Software even developed a good game?

Last one I can think of was Doom III in 2004 which graphically at the time was good. The game itself was pretty sub par and the multiplayer was completely worthless. Please do not mention Rage, because that game which if you have played it was cut short and shipped incomplete. One minute you are playing that game running a typical mission and the next minute the game suddenly ends for no reason. I sat at my computer for a good 5 minutes trying to figure out WTF just happened. So for me the last good memories I have of ID was Quake III back in 1999.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2013, 11:12 dardin

I think it's time for the Giants to look at replacing some of their defensive coaching staff. The defense finished the season 2nd worse in the NFL. With the talent they have on this team there is really no excuse for it. They had some injuries but so did every other team. I think Fewell and some of his staff needs to go if they can find good replacements.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2012, 16:50 dardin

1badmf wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 16:25:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 16:18:
: Ouch. I shudder to think what a terror RG3 will be after he's no longer a rookie, as he already has the game of a seasoned veteran.

I don't think his success will continue as teams start analyzing him more and finding weaknesses, etc. Or he may just flop next year like Cam has.

no way - that's such a superficial comparison. cam's never been a great passer. he's all physicality with rocks for brains; just a bigger Vick. RG3's passing stats show he's passer first and runner second. he doesnt need the wheels, but his accuracy and efficiency are better than Luck's, who's your supposed classic pocket passer. and if you watch him play, you'd know unless by design, he doesn't want to scramble. he stays in the pocket as long as he can before running. he's no 1-read and scoot numbskull like newton.

RG3's throwing stats are high because of his ability to run. Defenses bite on play action and option plays which leaves him with wide open receivers which are easy targets. He is a good passer but without his mobility and threat to run I highly doubt his passing stats would be as good as they are now.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Next Month
19. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 12:59 dardin

I lost interest in this game after about a month of playing the Beta. The game play is decent enough, however I envisioned epic big battles that lasted for hours or days. What I got was big battles that lasted only minutes. The game quickly became where you are just swapping bases non-stop with the opposing factions.

On a positive note it will be F2P so at least no one will feel ripped off by checking it out and seeing if its for them.

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2012, 13:06.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Free Character Transfers
3. Re: World of Warcraft Free Character Transfers Sep 27, 2012, 11:16 dardin

Creston wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 10:49
ueue times.... Eight years running and WoW STILL has queue times? 150 million dollars a month in revenue, and they can't be bothered to add some more infrastructure?

That's fucking ridiculous.

Creston [/quote:

The queue times are only an issue when they release a new expansion and only an issue on the high population realms. Adding more servers would be a waste of money. WoW already has a tons of servers with very low populations. The queues will disappear on their own within a month after the newness of the new expansion wears off. Then 3 - 6 months from now people who resubscribed for the new expansion will unsubscribe once again. Then the cycle repeats in another 2 years.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2012, 11:21 dardin

That is one high maintenance dog you have there Blue.  

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 13:04 dardin

Verno wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 12:13:
ledhead1969 wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 12:04:
Is 2 GB of memory going to be an issue?

Depends on too many other hardware factors to really generalize. With the initial wave of games announced, nope. In 3 years, maybe. I was hoping for 4GB personally but they obviously cut some corners to make room in the budget for their dumb tablet.

I have to admit its a solid launch lineup, much better than the 360 or PS3 had.

It's solid in terms of the number of games. However most of the announced games can be played on another system that people already own. The additional features probably won't justify people shelling out $300 to $350 to play the Wii U version. Until they have an exclusive must have title that can only be had on the Wii U I really do not see this thing selling well.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2012, 13:28.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2012, 11:01 dardin

The blinking function happens automatically on stop lights when they malfunction or lose power. I know where I live all the lights are monitored remotely these days so if there is a malfunction or a problem no one needs to call it in. Ours even have traffic monitoring cameras on pretty much every light here in town. They use these cameras to monitor the traffic flow and adjust the timing of the lights based on it. Apparently this is not the case with that light where you live.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 12:20 dardin

We have both Five Guys and In-N-Out burger here. I find both of them to be excellent and have not eaten at any other burger chains since they opened. Ideally if I could have my way I would take Five Guys burger and combine it with In-N-Out's fries.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2012, 12:46.

News Comments > TERA's $25 Horse
12. Re: TERA's $25 Horse Jun 27, 2012, 11:11 dardin

Considering people are paying up to $250 for a virtual item in Diablo 3, I don't see what the big deal here is. Though I personally would never pay for these things there is obviously a market of people that do.  

News Comments > Diablo III Patched in Americas
26. Re: Diablo III Patched in Americas Jun 19, 2012, 20:01 dardin

I'm moving on to other games. 155 hours in the game playing a Witch Doctor that is still an extremely broken class. Now toss in the insane repair costs problems along with the nerfs to IAS and a new bug with Bears which has broken my class even further. I enjoyed the first 100 hours or so. The rest where me trying to make my broken class work and hoping things would get better in the next patch. I'll probably take a 2nd look at this game in a year or so to see what direction it has taken by then.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes Jun 19, 2012, 13:33 dardin

The Lego games are one of the few kids games I actually enjoy playing with my 6 year old son. So far we have every one of the games in the series. I am in agreement to wait a few months as these games quickly drop in price.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2012, 11:39 dardin

I agree with Nin about seeing a vet. Often when a pet starts acting abnormal it can be a sign of a hidden illness. Even if he turns out not to be ill the vet may have some good advice.  

34 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo