Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for MajorDICK

Real Name MajorDICK   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MajorD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 20, 2010, 17:07
Total Comments 1478 (Pro)
User ID 55780

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > John Carmack Developing Oculus VR Games
5. Re: John Carmack Developing Oculus VR Games Jan 8, 2014, 11:37 MajorD

JohnBirshire wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 11:17:
These VR headsets were a "craze" 15 years ago, then they disappeared. Suddenly they are reappearing a few years ago, and still only a handful of people seem to care.

Yes and no. 15 years ago the VR headset technology wasn't advanced enough to blow anyone's skirts up, but from what I've been reading/following, it seems the technology is now there to develop the original vision (no pun intended).

I will definitely check them out when they hit retail, and if they work as advertised, then I just have to get past the feeling of looking like an AssHat wearing them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > SOE Going Forward With Unified Subscriptions
21. Re: SOE Going Forward With Unified Subscriptions Jan 8, 2014, 01:35 MajorD

yonder wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 19:36:
MajorD wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 15:45:
WTF am I missing? $14.99/Month (~$180.00/year); how is that attractive, or even a deal?

With as many games most people have in their libraries, most unfinished and a lot un-played, I just don't see the logic is shelling out $14.99/MONTH to play a game(s). /shrug

It's not to play "A" game, it's to play ANY of their games.

Let's say Sony hadn't annihilated Star Wars Galaxies and it was still an ongoing, fairly unique MMO. Let's say you play that still. Now, let's say you also want to play some EverQuest. Now, let's say there's an upcoming subscription-based MMO that you're really interested in.

In the past, that'd be 3 subscriptions.

Now it's one.

Because c'mon, you're not playing them at the same time...

*THAT* is the value. *IF* you're interested in multiple subscription-based Sony MMOs then it's a great deal.

... but I'm still burnt from SWG... I miss my dancing wookies!

Makes sense, thanks for clarifications. Definitely cost effective IF that is what you're interested in. Obviously not for everyone; not me as you could tell already.

Cheers

News Comments > SOE Going Forward With Unified Subscriptions
5. Re: SOE Going Forward With Unified Subscriptions Jan 7, 2014, 15:45 MajorD

WTF am I missing? $14.99/Month (~$180.00/year); how is that attractive, or even a deal?

With as many games most people have in their libraries, most unfinished and a lot un-played, I just don't see the logic is shelling out $14.99/MONTH to play a game(s). /shrug

News Comments > Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES
29. Re: Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES Jan 6, 2014, 19:00 MajorD

I wouldn't purchase one w/o KB & M support, but I do think this is great for a couple of reasons: 1) I'm assuming it will allow you to play anything in your Steam library (?). 2) Maybe this will incentivize Developers to still port PC games in lieu of console exclusives.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
21. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2014, 16:50 MajorD

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 14:33:
MajorD wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 14:18:
Seeing DayZ hang at number 1, is anyone here playing RUST or 7 Days to Die? They look like DayZ meets MineCraft type games, and look intriguing.

Dabbled in 7 days. It is rough.....need friends along for the ride - no one knows what they are doing.

Cool, thanks for info.

...No one knows what they are doing... LOL, I would most likely be one of those people.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2014, 14:18 MajorD

Seeing DayZ hang at number 1, is anyone here playing RUST or 7 Days to Die? They look like DayZ meets MineCraft type games, and look intriguing.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2014, 11:21 MajorD

Happy New Year ALL!! I hope everyone and their families had a great Holiday Season and your 2014 is off to a good start.

News Comments > Daylight Trailer
1. Re: Daylight Trailer Jan 6, 2014, 11:17 MajorD

I get this confused with Outlast....

News Comments > GOG.com Drops Fallout Games
80. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 22:46 MajorD

walrus1 wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 10:21:
ldonyo wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 10:14:
MajorD wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 10:12:
HHHHMMMMMM, I DL them during the recent giveaway, but never installed them. I wonder if I'll be able to still install/play them. Thinking

Yes, you will be able to install and play them from the installs you have already downloaded.

Top Gear top tip: Now might be an excelent time to download the install files just in case.

@ldonyo & walrus1: Thank you much for info.

News Comments > GOG.com Drops Fallout Games
44. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 10:12 MajorD

HHHHMMMMMM, I DL them during the recent giveaway, but never installed them. I wonder if I'll be able to still install/play them. Thinking

News Comments > BF4 Connectivity Issues; Double XP Postponed
10. Re: BF4 Connectivity Issues; Double XP Postponed Dec 31, 2013, 12:58 MajorD

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 12:23:
So glad I moved on from the BF series after BF3 beta.
This only reaffirms the correct decision.

X2

News Comments > Alan Wake Free Bonus Materials
13. Re: Alan Wake Free Bonus Materials Dec 30, 2013, 23:56 MajorD

Creston wrote on Dec 30, 2013, 19:41:
I picked up the 3 dollar sale today, so I'll just take everyone's advice and put the combat on super easy.

WOW! That is a no brainer, both AW and AN, and DLC for $3.99. NICE!

News Comments > Alan Wake Free Bonus Materials
5. Re: Alan Wake Free Bonus Materials Dec 29, 2013, 14:09 MajorD

jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 12:53:
Odd that they'd do this for a 2 year old game that didn't sell that well.

I intended to own this, but somehow I don't.

It's a game I would not have purchased for myself (I typically don't like 3rd person perspective 'only' games), but it was gifted to me and I ended up liking it. It isn't a bad game, especially if you like story driven games.

May be worth it if you can grab it during a smoken' sale. Right now it is ~$15.00 on Steam and Amazon.

Happy New Year!

52. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 09:47 MajorD

Yup, the project went into overtime and over budget....OH CRAP, what do we do? Ahhh....let's put up on Steam as Alpha for more cash flow to keep the project going.

They'll run out of time and money again and throw it up as a finished game for more cash flow, and then just patch/finish the game from there.

News Comments > Thief Trailer
8. Re: Thief Trailer Dec 18, 2013, 21:08 MajorD

Thief Gold HD Texture Mod is all you need. The mod author(s) did a fantastic job and is worth checking out by any Taffer!!!

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2013, 20:59 MajorD

Pete Burns of Dead or Alive: Freak show; always seem to have an identity crisis.

Bananarama: Definitely Cougars!

A Flock of Seagulls: No hair left for that funky hairdo.

Adam Ant: Picture looked like Johnny Depp.

Eurythmics: Annie Lennox hasn't changed much (looks great).

The Bangles: Cougars!

The Cure: Robert Smith can't seem to give up that hairdo!

That was interesting, thanks Blue.

3. Re: Thief HD Texture Mod Dec 13, 2013, 11:23 MajorD

For all you Taffers out there that are Thief fans (Thief/Gold & Thief 2), there is an awesome HD Texture mod by Bentraxx that was released for Thief 1 and Thief Gold earlier this week. I have been running/playing for the past couple of days now; it is 'very' impressive so far and definitely worth checking out. I never thought the dark engine could look so good....I can't recommend this mod enough.

You can find it here on the Moddb sight. The are some good installation instructions/recommendations in the threads on the pertinent Moddb page too.

Enjoy!

News Comments > NSA's Game Spying
225. Re: NSA's Game Spying Dec 10, 2013, 17:35 MajorD

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 14:01:
True, anyone could, but there is a HUGE difference between extemporaneous acts and premeditated ones.

It's not like the Boston bombers didn't plan it out ahead of time. McVeigh? Kaczynski? Bin Laden?

They just use tragedy as an excuse to push their agendas, much like politicians.

That is where we agree.

I could be wrong, but I get the impression you and Verno think I am all for carte blanche wiretapping and spying, which I'm not, as that is why I pointed out there is a fine line of too much and/or too little. Where are the checks and balances is the problem.

207. Re: NSA's Game Spying Dec 10, 2013, 11:28 MajorD

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 02:00:
MajorD wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 22:42:
Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 21:34:
On the other hand, my fucking freedom and privacy certainly are.

The government is stepping all over our guaranteed rights to "provide" things that we cannot actually have.

How much is too much? Any spying on American citizens is too fucking much.

And that's where the double edge sword comes in to play. So, what do you propose as an alternative to track and thwart terrorists, as any 'American Citizen' can easily be a sleeper cell?

There is no alternative. Jesus Christ, I could wake up tomorrow, decide I hate everyone and go shoot the fuck out of a crowded mall during the holiday rush. How the fuck could anyone foresee or prevent that? They CAN'T. That's the key.

True, anyone could, but there is a HUGE difference between extemporaneous acts and premeditated ones.

YOU CANNOT PREVENT SHIT FROM HAPPENING. Period. End of story. All their fucking spying and Newtown, Aurora, Boston, Benghazi - none of it has been stopped. But hey, if we hadn't let the CIA loose we would have prevented 9/11 (Osama, trained by the CIA), Iraq (Husein, helped to power by the CIA to oppose the Iranians), Cuban Missile Crisis (Castro, again helped to power by the CIA), and many other tragedies. Not to mention we wouldn't be the most hated country on the planet.

No, they can't prevent EVERY single threat/attempt, but do you realize how many threats they have thwarted that we don't even know about, which enables us to sleep at night?

190. Re: NSA's Game Spying Dec 9, 2013, 22:42 MajorD

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 21:34:
On the other hand, my fucking freedom and privacy certainly are.

The government is stepping all over our guaranteed rights to "provide" things that we cannot actually have.

How much is too much? Any spying on American citizens is too fucking much.

And that's where the double edge sword comes in to play. So, what do you propose as an alternative to track and thwart terrorists, as any 'American Citizen' can easily be a sleeper cell?

1478 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo