Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for MajorDICK

Real Name MajorDICK   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MajorD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 20, 2010, 17:07
Total Comments 1478 (Pro)
User ID 55780

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > DayZ Plans
6. Re: DayZ Plans Apr 5, 2014, 18:27 MajorD

They need to address the X-Axis mouse issue is what they need to address.

Anyone else have that issue, and if so, do you know of a fix? The issue renders the game pretty much unplayable.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Re: •SOMA on Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Apr 4, 2014, 11:18 MajorD

I wish I wouldn't have read this article and watched the video. I was warned with a 'Spoiler Alert', but I couldn't resist. Finally playing the game upon its release, it would have been MUCH better and more enjoyable (most likely) going into the game not having watched the video in this article. Sigh....

News Comments > DOOM Beta FAQ
6. Re: DOOM Beta FAQ Apr 4, 2014, 11:07 MajorD

Q. What is the DOOM Beta? How long will it last?

A. We will be providing more information on the specific content and duration of the beta test at a later time.

What they are really saying is, "Just take the bait, preorder Wolfenstein, and give us your money already! We'll give you the Beta testing details at a much later date AFTER you've all committed and we have your money already you dumb son of a bitch!

It seems beta test periods have become shorter and shorter. I'm guessing this one will be 'maybe' 48 hours, 72 hours max .....WoopyFrickenDoo!!!

Yes, yes, yes, I know they are so generous by providing us all with this opportunity to play a beta, it's better than nothing, and I should be ever so grateful...blah blah blah. But, it's really about marketing, and it's not only about getting your money, but getting it early to boot.

News Comments > Thief Save Game Issue (Joke?)
10. Re: Thief Save Game Issue (Joke?) Apr 2, 2014, 13:37 MajorD

Jerykk wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 12:46:
Love seeing people who have never even played the game continue to talk trash about it. While far from perfect, Thief was a good stealth game, especially if you play it as it was meant to be played (Master difficulty, no alerts, no kills/knockouts, collect all the loot). Playing that way forces you to have a better understanding of the game's mechanics and AI.

The story wasn't great but that's pretty standard for videogames. Not sure why people were so offended by this particular case when there are plenty of other games with equally bad (or worse) stories. The previous Thief games had pretty good writing but nothing exceptional. People act like their writing was up there with PST or something.

In fact, many of the complaints seem nitpicky. Yes, mashing E to open windows is dumb but it becomes less of an issue over time. Once you loot an apartment, you have no reason to loot it again which means there are fewer windows to open later in the game. Also, as you learn the layout of the city, you learn the quickest and most efficient routes to get where you want to go, minimizing the number of windows you have to go through. In regards to traversal, the automated system works well enough most of the time. You quickly learn what it can and cannot do and getting where you want to go is easy. There were very few cases where it didn't do what I expected it to do. Level design was pretty good for the most part, with the bulk of the levels being open-ended and rewarding exploration (particularly the side missions). There were a few sections that were linear and scripted but these were the exceptions, not the rule.

The overblown scorn laid upon the new Thief makes me believe that pure stealth games may no longer have a place in today's market. Dishonored, Hitman: Absolution, Splinter Cell: Blacklist... all offer equally viable combat solutions and were much better received for it. Conversely, combat in Thief is an absolute last resort and not very enjoyable in and of itself. If it had more effective and enjoyable combat, I think most players would have enjoyed the game a lot more because stealth would be optional.

Man, I want what you're smoking, because you are STILL defending this game even after it was proven to be bad upon its release. It is a decent game at best, and it is certainly not a 'good stealth' game, not even close with its horrible, horrible AI. For one example, of many: If I accidently alert a guard and whack him once with my blackjack, then run off and hide, he’ll give-up after a minute or so and go back to his idle state. If I alert two or three more in the process, and then run and swoop by a guard in the next room that is sleeping, he's not even woken up/alerted from the shouting of the guards within the vicinity and that can be clearly heard from the next room. BUT, if I walk across some glass that is close to that same sleeping guard, that isn't even as loud as the sound of the yelling guards, he'll wake up. Then, if I run and hide off in a closet or another part of the area for about a minute or so, then go back to those areas, the guards are right back to their idle states like nothing ever happened. And it does not matter if you play it on easy, medium, master difficulty, etc., they’ll react the same way on any difficulty level. If it was a ‘true’ stealth game, then the AI mechanics wouldn’t be so piss poor.

Slice it anyway you want, but the game is clearly flawed in so many ways it is sad. Overall, I enjoyed the game for the most part, but it wasn’t without numerous frustrations due to poor and lazy design and design decisions; it is a ‘decent’ game at best.

News Comments > Thief Save Game Issue (Joke?)
4. Re: Thief Save Game Issue (Joke?) Apr 2, 2014, 09:38 MajorD

That's not the game's only issues.....

News Comments > Caffeine Trailer; Crowdfunding
1. Re: Caffeine Trailer; Crowdfunding Apr 1, 2014, 09:55 MajorD

Taking inspiration from Doom 3, Condemned and FEAR 2.... Sounds like a mix of Penumbra/Amnesia too. But since it seems similar to SOMA, maybe that is way the did mention those. /shrug

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2014, 16:15 MajorD

PHJF wrote on Mar 29, 2014, 14:35:
See this one, nin?

http://videosift.com/video/This-Is-A-Trent-Reznor-Song-Freddy-Scott

Nice PHJF! Thanks for sharing, that was classic, and I got a several good chuckles out of it.

Trent Reznor sure has his own style/sound and certainly influenced Industrial rock/metal genres, and is a synthesizer wizard to boot.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2014, 16:06 MajorD

Cutter wrote on Mar 29, 2014, 14:46:
Hah! Just got back from my bro's place and checking out his new pooch. Gadzooks I forgot how much energy puppies have. 3 month old Huskie and all she does is bounce and chew and bounce and chew. Anything, everything, everyone, bounce chew bounce chew bounce chew. She's cute as the dickens but man talk about a handful. Now I can see why as we get older so many people opt for rescue dogs at least a year or two old.

I'm hoping to get a new pooch in the next year or so but I know now it's not going to be a puppy.

We have a 12 year old Siberian Husky and they are one of the cutest puppies. But you're right, they are a handful. They are very sweet dogs, but also very smart, headstrong, talkers/whiners, energetic, and Houdini escape artists. As much as I love ours, who has grown up to be a really good dog, although still very headstrong, I don't know if I would get another one.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Netflix users on Verizon and AT&T get raw deal, have little reason for hope Mar 29, 2014, 13:10 MajorD

Several weeks ago my Netflix streaming quality had become increasingly poor, but coincidently it has recently improved (to normal) since the 'so called' negotiations between Verizon and Netflix commenced. Regardless, another monthly fee hike isn't too far away, as the only ones that will get screwed in the end are the consumers.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2014, 12:58 MajorD

Hey Blue, do you, or have you brewed beer? The fruits of the labor would certainy compliment your 'Man Stove' adventures.

Enjoy your lunch and visit today....

32. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2014, 20:11 MajorD

jdreyer wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 18:46:
Capella wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 17:09:
Dirwulf wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 16:12:

Hey Blue, are you still that skinny after eating all that meat?

Meat is not what makes you fat, it's all the damn spuds and bread.

And beer. Cheers

Mmmmmm.....beer! The three batches that I brewed over the Holidays have aged nicely to where they can be consumed at their optimum. I was at a gathering last night and they were a hit, but the problem is I am starting to run low. Guess it is time to get down the equipment and brew another batch one of these Saturdays. Cheers Cheers

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2014, 11:33 MajorD

Yeah, hearing all the different PCs humming, the only light is from the big ol' CRT monitors, beef jerky, Doritos, candy, pizza boxes, energy drinks all over the place....... Good times.

If I had to guess, the last LAN party I attended had to be the late 90s because Quake 3 Arena hadn't been on the market too long.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2014, 11:09 MajorD

Very cool Blue, thanks for sharing. Good times....

News Comments > Women In Video Games Initiative
2. Re: Women In Video Games Initiative Mar 28, 2014, 10:35 MajorD

Rolleyes

News Comments > Flockers Trailer
2. Re: Flockers Trailer Mar 28, 2014, 10:33 MajorD

It's just a game Flocker!!!

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts- Devastation Features Predators?
7. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts- Devastation Features Predators? Mar 28, 2014, 10:31 MajorD

Oooohhh....aaaahhhhhh.....I wonder if the AI will be as good as the school of fish.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Mar 27, 2014, 15:33 MajorD

Wow, Thief Gold and Thief 2 on sale for $1.74ea is pretty smoken' if you don't own either and have been interested.....

News Comments > Morning Previews
2. Re: Morning Previews Mar 27, 2014, 15:15 MajorD

Arkham who? I'm very much looking forward to Grimrock 2.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Oculus VR "never intended to sell the company". Mar 27, 2014, 11:15 MajorD

With $2 Billion waived in front of their noses it was inevitable.

News Comments > New Titanfall Game Modes Coming
39. Re: New Titanfall Game Modes Coming Mar 26, 2014, 22:27 MajorD

nin wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 20:56:
MajorD wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 17:47:
At least that is my definition of sheeple. Oh crap, I just cheapened my response.

SEE?!

Yup!

1478 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo